Pew poll: 18% think Obama is a Muslim

posted at 9:06 pm on August 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

My first reaction whenever this question is polled is commiseration with The One, because, believe it or not, there is something worse election-wise for an American politician to be than Muslim. Anyway, the raw data:

It’s tempting to blame the change on the uproar over the Ground Zero mosque, but the poll was concluded on August 5 and that story didn’t break big until Obama weighed in on it last week, on August 13. DrewM is surely right that the uptick here is due in part to an unpopular president being lumped in with an unpopular group, but I think it’s broader than that. Note that the change in the number of those who no longer say O is a Christian is twice as large as the number who insist he’s a Muslim; that’s evidence, I think, of Americans feeling so alienated by his policies that they’ve concluded he must be from a different planet culturally — if not Muslim, then at least certainly not Christian. In other words, whatever group he’s in, it ain’t theirs. (Pew missed a big opportunity here in not polling the atheism question, as I bet you’d see an uptick in that too.) As for why he’s so often accused of being Muslim, the default lefty explanation is of course racism but I think it’s more a combination of his middle name, his background growing up in Indonesia, and his attempt to win over Muslim public opinion with his Cairo speech last year. And all of that gets compounded by soundbites that are taken out of context or cleverly edited to make it sound like he’s making admissions about his “true faith.” Just last week a commenter e-mailed claiming that Obama had once told Stephanopoulos that he was a Muslim and I had to send him the link to this post from two years ago to set him right.

It’s all very lame and obnoxious, especially given the testimony from pastors that Obama takes his Christian faith seriously, but much like the Birther thing, there’s virtually nothing you can say to convince someone who’s sure that O is what he thinks he is. I recommend re-reading Karl’s post from earlier this month on the phenomenon of polling Birthers, as it holds plenty of applicable wisdom in this case too. Essentially, when polling people who dislike candidate X, the specifics of the questions are almost irrelevant. As long as they’re negatively inclined — e.g., “Is Obama a werewolf?” — you’ll get a certain core percentage willing to say yes. The news in this poll is that as much as 18 percent think being a Muslim is inherently negative. But as I said above, that’s also true (if not more true) of atheism. Via Mediaite, here’s KP on the issue:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Very cute. I bet you believe he is straight as well.

Chazz on August 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I’m missing the intended joke!

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM

He doesn’t have to “cling to religion”. That would be too “common” and he truly doesn’t believe he is common.

JAM on August 19, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Thanks for reminding me. The “bitter clingers” is not how ANY Christian would comment on others people’s faith in Christ.

Conan on August 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Yes, I forgot about that. I don’t think devout Christians go around making derisive statements like that.

INC on August 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Well, someone is going to notice him doing Salat.

He ain’t a Muzzy.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I have heard some Catholics eat meat on Fridays. Could that be true and are they still Catholics?

If someone did notice him saying he was a Muslim would anyone pay attention to it? I mean I never saw Arafat praying either, but I don’t take that as evidence he wasn’t a Muslim. Who exactly is going to notice, report him, and actually get a knee-pad reporter to publish it?

BTW, Yasser Arafat seemed to have a high regard for National Socialism as did Ida Amin both of whom were probably not on Adolf’s best buds list racially.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM

***

And since islam is more of a school of thought, than a traditional religion, the state of mind is what qualifies one as a muslim – not whether he eats pork or sits in a marxist church.

***

keep the change on August 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Are suggesting we need to determine whether Obama has Cordoba on his mind? To adapt a verse from the James Taylor song:

In my mind I’m goin’ to Carolina Cordoba
Can’t you see the sunshine
Can’t you just feel the moonshine
Ain’t it just like a friend of mine
To hit me from behind
Yes I’m goin’ to Carolina Cordoba in my mind

BuckeyeSam on August 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM

I don’t know whether Hussein Louie is a Muslim or not, but he acts like a Muslim, as well as like a French King, so he might as well be. Pretty much a distinction without a difference.

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM

There isn’t the room for much, ahem, divergence from the ‘dox in Islam. Sorry.

The man has sympathies towards gays and feminists. How the hell do you square that, friends?

You don’t. Stop trying to force incongruent

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM

They didn’t mind the Nazis cause they both hated the Jews.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Isn’t there a picture of him eating a hot dog somewhere.

tomas on August 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Oh, and let me guess, he’s been not eating Halal for 40 years.

As someone who spent a lot of time in close quarters with Muslims, you DON’T get to do that and call yourself a Muslim.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:45 PM

So many experts on Islam who know so little about it.
blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Proud Rino off tonight? Or are you the same person?

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 10:48 PM

He was not raised Muslim. He attended both Muslim AND Catholic school.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

That is a flat out lie! He attended the Catholic school as a Muslim. Several of those in Indonesia have stated that Obama attended Mosque. Obama himself mentions studying the Quran in one of his books.

Get a grip yourself. Are you now claiming Obama is lying about that?

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:48 PM

tomas on August 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Nobody is saying that he’s a good Muslim.

Really Right on August 19, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Obama himself mentions studying the Quran in one of his books.

Get a grip yourself. Are you now claiming Obama is lying about that?

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I said he attended Catholic school. You said I lied, then repeated what I said.

Furthermore, big deal, someone TOLD HIM AS A CHILD to study Qur’an. That makes him a secret Muslim for the rest of his life? A child isn’t going to remember that garbage.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Proud Rino off tonight? Or are you the same person?

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I’m a Proud Rino because Obama’s not a Muslim, and I’m calling people out for acting as if they are the authority on Islamic jurisprudence and scripture?

Face it, the burden is on the “he’s a Muslim!!” crowd. They are woefully unable to provide a compelling argument.

Saying “taqqiyya” a bunch of times doesn’t cut it.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:52 PM

They didn’t mind the Nazis cause they both hated the Jews.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I think maybe you need a quiet conversation with yourself.

They can admire a socialist system that regards them as subhumans but somehow you think they will have a problem eating bacon?

OK!

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM

While I don’t believe he’s a Muslim (although there was that whole bowing-to-the-Saudi-king thing), there was a slip of the tongue when he was intervied by George Stephenopoulis before the election. They were talking about religion, and he said “my Muslim beliefs.” As soon as he said it, George corrected him and said “Christian.” Hearing this, Obama immediately corrected himself and said “my Christian beliefs.”

No, I don’t think he’s a Muslim. But I have hard time believing he’s a Christian, too. Heck, Pelosi says more about God, Jesus, and the Bible than Obama does.

jedijson on August 19, 2010 at 10:54 PM

The loony toons (and you are, if for no other reason than discrediting yourself by taking on stupid issues like this, instead of more substantive, provable ones) who keep bringing up “Once a Muslim, always a Muslim” — stop, we get it. His personal ties and history with Islam are fact, but that doesn’t make him a follower of Allah just because others claim he is.

Obviously, this is an important distinction — and something defectors like Ayaan Hirsi Ali would appreciate. But to make the stupid point of (“well Muslims think he is, so he is”), in this case, would be granting moral authority and supremacy to the Islamic worldview — and I doubt you want to do that.

jjraines on August 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Yeah man, it’s not like Obama has ever deceived anyone before…

BO is a secular progressive. That’s all I’m sure about.

The poll shows a con man profile – the longer you know the con artist, the more you realize you never knew him at all.

forest on August 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:50 PM

HE IS LISTED AS A MUSLIM AT A CATHOLIC SCHOOL.
Catholics attended the Catholic school as Catholics.

Muslims attended as Muslims.

Obama attended as a Muslim.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM

And since when did you find so much faith? And in all pastors? You must have really had some born again out of body experience. Are you trying to cheer Christoper Hitchens up with some kind of inside sarcastic humor?

And what does O think he is and what do you think he is and where is your evidence?

here’s KP on the issue:

Oh my God! Drum roll and trumpets! The KP Oracle of Intellect is about to enlighten us!

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM

So many experts on Islam who know so little about it.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

You don’t have to be an expert to get some things right. And Gabe is right about the Muslim father making you Muslim thing.
I don’t think it’s ignorant or outrageous (though maybe a little catty)to say that Obama may have an affinity towards Islamic culture since he spent some formative years in that environment and his mom sure did seem to have an affinity towards exotic Muslim men.

CarolynM on August 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM

So you are Proud Rino. I thought so. (Nice try. You are blatantly Democratic and a Proud Rino. Sure)

We of course don’t know whether Obama is a Muslim. We just know he acts like a closet Muslim.

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

And Gabe is right about the Muslim father making you Muslim thing.

And he conveniently omits the notion in Islam that everyone is born Muslim, but can be subsequently perverted by their parents into Christians and Jews. Judging by his upbringing, teen years, and so on, he was most certainly perverted.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM

You think he had much choice in the matter?
You guys are basing an entire teen/college/adult life off of what he was required to do as a 4, 5, and 6 year old. Holy hell

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

You’re an ignoramus. Another one of those “I won’t debate you so I’ll say you have a false username” people. I think I’ll leave it at that.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM

The NY Times said he was born a Muslim. Who are we to argue with the Gray Lady?

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM

“Pew poll: 18% think Obama is a Muslim”

Seems low. PC fears.

ncjetsfan on August 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM

HE IS LISTED AS A MUSLIM AT A CATHOLIC SCHOOL.
Catholics attended the Catholic school as Catholics.

Muslims attended as Muslims.

Obama attended as a Muslim.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Channeling AP and KP – You are very lame and obnoxious.

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 11:01 PM

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

You are claiming he was forced.

Care to back that up with the slightest shred of proof?

No of course not.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 11:01 PM

You break halal, you break eid al fitr, you break ramadan for FORTY YEARS, you aren’t a Muslim. Sorry.

You break salat for four decades, you aren’t a Muslim. Sorry.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM

The NY Times said he was born a Muslim. Who are we to argue with the Gray Lady?

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Channeling AP and KP again – You are very lame and obnoxious too and so is that rightwing NY Times!.

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM

You are claiming he was forced.

….
He was four, five, and six.

Think about what I’m saying to you. Stop typing for a moment and think.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM

You’re an ignoramus. blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM

You just lost the debate.

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM

You just lost the debate.

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM

You are truly the picture of maturity.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

You entire arrangement is destroyed by the fact that Hussein Louie ofttimes acts like a 4, 5, and 6 year old now.

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Islamic teachings also call for killing the Christian and the Jew. Should we accept that view point as well? Should we be defined by groups we are born into, even if we grow older and reject them? Do they still have the final say on who we are and what we believe? Come on.

Two other points:

-Him speaking glowingly of Islam, is sadly, no different than Bush doing the same. In fact, there is not a single world leader willing to speak critical truth about Islam — and given the O Admin’s goals of “reconciliation” and “dialogue” — it makes sense to compliment them. It’s called politics. Most people get that.

-There’s his rhetoric, then there’s his action. Despite cries to the contrary about pro-Muslim policies, if anything he has escalated the global war on terror. To his credit, behind-the-scenes he has in fact been more willing to bomb the shit out of jihadis, and act in America’s best interest. These are not actions of a closet Muslim (which is the ONLY possibility, because he certainly isn’t devout).

He worships himself, anything else is politics. How about you stick to what matters and expose his actual belief system: Progressivism.

jjraines on August 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Yeah…college life…I remember those days when we’d spend our summer break taking off to Europe with a Eurail pass, smoking pot in Amsterdam, doing things we could never tell our moms about in the south of France.
And where does Obama go? Pakistan. Sh*thole of the world. Oh wait, that’s Yemen, but I digress….

CarolynM on August 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

CarolynM on August 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

A trip does not a Muslim make, but stretch on, girl!

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

And for the record… I am not saying I know he is a Muslim. I don’t know if he is or he is not.

I do think the evidence is clear that he was a Muslim as a child, and that later in life he associated with radical Black Theologians, Marxists, and the Nation of Islam sorts. Hardly your standard Christian path.

They all seem to be very chummy with each other and extremist Muslim groups such as Hamas. The idea that a Muslim wouldn’t find this a comfortable environment is belied by the fact that Muslims do find this to be a comfortable environment.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 11:07 PM

CarolynM on August 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I don’t take issue with that at all.

He is like Jimmy Carter in that he sympathizes with the Muslimun. I’ve made that clear more times than I can recall.

However, all this “evidence” doesn’t point to any existence of secret, inner Muslim faith.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Has Barack Hussein Obama visited Mosque or Church more often during his presidency? Did he defend the construction of a Mosque at Ground Zero or prevent the RE-CONSTRUCTION of the Church at Ground Zero.

So isn’t it more stupid to believe that he is a Christian then it is stupid to believe he is a Muslim?

DANEgerus on August 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM

The NY Times said he was born a Muslim.

faraway

So if he abandoned Islam that would make Obama an apostate – one who denounces Islam. Has he? Seems like a good question for a Press Conference.

IntheNet on August 19, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Fact is, Obama identifies with anyone outside of the American “norm.”

Radical feminists, political chicanos, Muslims, communists, “structural feminists,” (whatever that means), socialists, everyone.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM

If you ask me, I think 18% of Americans love screwing around with pollsters and making liberals heads explode.

The Ugly American on August 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM

jjraines on August 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

He has escalated the foolish Sharia Nation Building nonsense in Afghanistan and is getting more American Soldiers and Marines killed there with his evermore Code Pink ROE and their being ordered to place serving the Afghan Muslims Hearts and Minds over the lives of their fellow troops.

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Come on===Obama said he was a Christian. Oops, I forgot, he lies.

mobydutch on August 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I wonder if Allah’s thinks Jeremiah Wright’s church represents Christianity – even slightly.

Newsflash: Just because you say you are something doesn’t make it so. With Christianity, this maxim is written in stone, and in Scripture too: “Not those who say, ‘Lord, Lord’, but only those who do the will of my Father will enter the kingdom of heaven.”

Wright, an “ex-muslim”, practices “Black Liberation Theology”, a fancy name for a Racist-Marxist hate fest which is fed to the people under a thin covering of hollowed out Christianity.

Wright traveled to Africa to see Kadafi, hosted and awarded the likes of Louis Farrahkan, was openly supportive of Hamas in church bulletins, and his personal life is hardly the stuff of sterling character. While acting as their minister and counseling a couple having marriage problems, Wright started an affair with the wife himself, eventually marrying her, making her his second wife.

He owns a huge home overlooking a golf course, in an ultra-white, upscale Chicago suburb, paid for with church funds, and maintains with a 9 Million dollar church funded line of credit at his disposal, all the while telling his congregation to shun “middle-classness”.

And who can forget the YouTube sensation of Wright, on stage in his “church” telling his congregation that Bill Clinton was never a friend of the blacks because he did not do enough to make abortion even more available to them. After shouting this extremely Christian diatribe for more abortion for his congregants, and blasting Clinton for not delivering, Wright reminded everyone that “Bill was riding dirty with Monica” anyway. As Wright said the words, “riding dirty”, he worked his body to make it look like he was doing the riding. The “congregation” hooted and howled. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xb7AVw_no0

If I wanted to attend a pagan house of worship, that mocked Christian tenents when it wasn’t openly defying them, obama’s church would suit me right down to the ground.

There is nothing Christian about Wright, Black Liberation Theology, Obama, or the Church he sat in for 20 years to politically advance himself.

Americans can smell a phony a mile away, and in this case, we can smell him all the way from Chicago to Washington, D.C.

tigerlily on August 19, 2010 at 11:23 PM

What is the difference between Islam and Louis Farrakhan’s “Nation of Islam”?

I know there is a difference but I’m not exactly sure what it is…

Fallon on August 19, 2010 at 11:23 PM

“He’s NOT a Muslim, he’s a very naughty boy.”

GoodBoy on August 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM

1. From a personal standpoint, it is less important what religion we think he is than what he thinks he is. And no matter which he professes to himself, he is a very private–even poor–example of it. Takes his Christianity seriously? Just words. Can he affirm any of the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith like he can the Muslim one? Has he ever affirmed that Jesus Christ died to pay for our sins? Can he quote any Scripture verse correctly, according to any translation he may have resting on his bedside table? I know he thinks that Christianity is simply a series of life applications for other people to practice, but does he know the Scripture-revealed characteristics of the God he supposedly worships without ever attending worship services? Many Christians cannot do any of those; but while he may be no worse a Christian than many others, please don’t assure me that he takes the Christian faith “seriously”.

2. From a leadership standpoint, I think this man is a coward in that he refuses to allow Americans to know what makes him real and passionate. (I think he attempts to put his finger on the pulse of America and say what will resonate with the most effect through the MSM.) If he is his own god, he has his own personal cult and it’s losing believers. If Obie were of any one religious faith instead of all, would people respect him less for being so? I think not. Americans are very tolerant of other religions so long as he treats all other religious groups–including atheists–with respect. But this man doesn’t do that–he marginalizes everyone except the special groups he condescends to be a part of.

If he were an avowed atheist, it would bother me a little–but not much; I can respect any man that leads all of America equally. This man won’t, and that’s why this topic matters. Get beyond your prejudice, AP.

rwenger43 on August 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM

tigerlily on August 19, 2010 at 11:23 PM

In defense of AP, he may have allergies from cat dander that have stopped up his nose.

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Okay I found a strange site that explains some of the differences:

Islam: Five times a day is required; SALAH (prayer) includes QIYAM (standing), RUKU’ (bowing), SAJDA (prostration), JALSA (sitting on the floor) and recitations.

(Nation of Islam): No five times daily SALAH (prayer); prayer, when done has no RUKU’ or SAJDA. Friday is a major congregational prayer day, not for SALAH, but to say DU’A and to listen to a Minister.

and,

Islam: Fasting is required in the month of Ramadan, ninth month of Islamic calendar.

(Nation of Islam): Fasting is required in December only. Fasting in the month of Ramadan is optional.

Hmmm…

Fallon on August 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM

What is the difference between Islam and Louis Farrakhan’s “Nation of Islam”?

I know there is a difference but I’m not exactly sure what it is…

Fallon on August 19, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Ummm… Islam is a lot nicer if you can believe that.

There is a table of comparison 2/3rds of the way down this article for easy reference.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Come on===Obama said he was a Christian. Oops, I forgot, he lies.

mobydutch on August 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM

No more than his real father, Joe Izusu.

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Anyone thaf is against Obama being a Muslim should be probed.
– Nancy Pelosi

CyberCipher on August 19, 2010 at 11:43 PM

rwenger43 on August 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM

We don’t know what he believes and it may well be a strange mix coming from several sources. The idea that his personal conduct can tell us his religion is absurd. Christians cheat on their wives, Jews eat bacon, and Saudi princes get drunk.

Obama was prepared and scripted for years and when the time came he messed it up time and time again. The MSM, John McCain, and a vicious campaign of deceit and smears brought him to the White House.

Now the PR campaign is over and he doesn’t know what to do and more and more people are beginning to realize that they bought a pig-in-a-poke.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM

so true.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 11:58 PM

jjraines

Why not? All the cool kids are doing it. Are you saying that there’s something hinky with the “Islamic worldview”? That’s not what mayor Bloomberg told me. I am just trying to identify with the other. You know, like my progressive betters are always encouraging me to do. So, now I always ask myself, “what would a little rock-throwing shahid in Palestine think of this issue?” If one with such purity of heart as a little shahid thinks that Obama is a Muslim, who am I to say otherwise? Why should I privilege my oppressive “Orientalist” narrative over his?
I just think it’s funny that the press is simultaneously telling us infidels to “grant[...] moral authority”, say, to the Muslim theology on the sacredness of the Koran or graphic representations of the prophet (per Newsweek, for instance, or per Yale University Press or Comedy Central), but not to take Islamic views on apostasy and whether Obama is still technically a Muslim seriously. Near as I can figure it, the rule seems to be If honoring Muslim sensitivities in some respect (e.g. Korans at Gitmo) can be used to mau mau president Bush, then by all means give all deference, but if it can be used to mau mau president Obama (his fatwa-attracting conversion at some undefined point from Islam to Christianity), the subject isn’t even brought up. Maybe Newsweek can give us one of their crappy “Conventional Wisdom” graphics to let us know what Muslim beliefs to be sensitive to on a week to week basis.

shazbat on August 20, 2010 at 12:03 AM

tigerlily on August 19, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM

meOUCh!

tigerlily on August 20, 2010 at 12:08 AM

If KP had any smidgeon of objectivity, it’s long gone.

Pat Caddell, someone way more credible and substantive than her, said tonight that the American people know Obama less now than they did when they voted for him, and that they wish to know more.

Schadenfreude on August 20, 2010 at 12:27 AM

It is pretty clear that his religion (or “faith”) and his politics are the same => Transnational Progressivism (or “Tranzi”).

holdfast on August 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Probably people don’t think he’s a Christian because he doesn’t practice Christianity. Has the guy even picked a church yet? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

That said, I don’t believe he’s a Muslim either. I think he is certainly more sympathetic to Muslims and Islamic nations due to his own background and upbringing, but that is — I think — because it’s politically expedient for him as an unyielding socialist to ally himself with Islam. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s a congregant in AP’s (non)church. ;o)

NoLeftTurn on August 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM

My poll: 100% think Obama is an asshole.

Felonious Monk on August 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I don’t think Obama thinks he’s a Muslim. I think he thinks he’s the second-coming…of Karl Marx.

pupik on August 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM

There are just too many instances of Obama doing and saying things no Christian would ever dream of doing or saying, but which would be normal utterences or behaviors for a Muslim. Supposedly he’s been a Christian for what – at least 15 years? – yet his public actions consistantly dispute such a notion.

He refused to speak in the presence of a crorr; it had to be hidden beneath a cloth.

In another speech he sarcastically wondered hypothetically which religious lessone might be considered to be incorporated into governing, and very snarkily cited several Old Testament battle/brimstone verses. He was clearly amused by his ridicule of Jews’ and Christians’ holy book.

His wife does not travel with him when he goes to a Muslim country [Egypt, Turkey]

He doesn’t refere to Iran as “Iran”; it’s always “the Islamic Republic of Iran”

He doesn’t refer to the Koran as “the Koran”; it’s always “the Holy Koran”

In his Cairo speech he said “I have KNOWN Islam on three continents before coming to the region where it was first REVEALED”. You can observe a religion; to “know” it, you must belong to it. And ONLY a Muslim is going to describe Islam as having been “revealed”.

In the Cairo speech he also said, “…many Muslims recognize that Israel WILL NOT GO AWAY.” That terminology would only be used by someone with a hate-Israel mindset – not by a Christian. Loyalty to Israel is part of Christian life, and is non-negotiable. Genesis 12:3

Still Cairo: “American are ready to join with citizens & governments, community orgs, religious leaders, & businesses in Muslim communities around the world to help OUR PEOPLE pursue a better life.” “Our people” – he’s including himself – can only mean Muslims as most Americans already have the best life possible.

And he said, “The Holy Koran teaches that whoever kills an innocent, it is as if he has killed all mankind, and whoever saves a person, it is as if he has saved all mankind.” His audience was Muslims, so they know “the rest of the story”, which is that this “all mankind” in the Koran refers to believing Muslims only. Jews and Christians are never referred to collectively with Muslims.

And, “…in the United States, rules on charitable giving have made it harder for Muslims to fulfill their religious obligation. That is why I am committed to working with American Muslims to ensure that they can fulfill zakat.” Those pesky rules on charitable giving are in place to prevent Muslims’ ‘charitable giving’ money being used to fund terrorists. How unfair to Muslims!! Barry will fix it.

Cairo, again: “…Holy Land…a place for all of the children of Abraham to mingle peacefully together as in the story of Isra, when Moses, Jesus, and Mohammed (peace be upon them) joined in prayer.” Whoa! How come Barry the Christian is telling a story inventedd by the Muslims in an attempt to make out like Jesus and Mohammed were best buds? AQnd how come Barry the Christian is saying “peace be upon them”? For Muslims, some things are reflexive – like saying “peace be upon…” whenever they utter the name of Mohammed. Oooopsie!

Most telling is the New York Times article from several years ago, where the interviewer reported that Barry had recited the Muslim call to prayer in a “near-perfect” accent. That would be in Arabic. And that would be something Barry supposedly hadn’t heard since he’s left Indonesia 25 (appx) years before. But, but, but…he TOLD us he was never a Muslim. Oh, wait – that was before he told us he was a little bit Muslim, for a little bit. And he also told the Times’ reporter he considered the Muslim call to prayer one of the most beautiful sounds on earth.

It could be confusing – except that it’s obvious he’s been a Muslim all his life. And that he’s a liar of the first magnitude.

GGMac on August 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Faith is a fuzzy thing. Belief is, well, it’s not objective. It’s never clear. How we were raised (Obama — Indonesia) informs our beliefs. We have sympathies. We adhere to doctrine in varying degrees. Actually, I’d prefer Obama be Muslim than to have absorbed Rev. Wright’s garbage for 20 years. Given his upbringing, culturally, Obama is partly Muslim. Sure it’s easy to say the 18% are idiots. Maybe they mean to convey they believe the formation of Obama’s identity had Islamic influences. Of course it did. I don’t call the 18% idiots. I doubt Obama renounces the Islamic parts of his upbringing. I can almost hear him saying, “I could no more disown my Islamic upbringing than I could disown my white grandmother, who, did I mention, was a racist”.

Paul-Cincy on August 20, 2010 at 12:51 AM

You don’t. Stop trying to force incongruent

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Hmmm. Isn’t it kind of a wide open secret that there is a rampant proclivity among muslim men for sodomizing boys? There’s also a wonderful acceptance of “sex” with camels and other animals.

How do you square that? You don’t. No need to force anything here, because the very definition of islam IS incongruence.

Kind of like it’s incongruent to have as a CORE principle of your “religion” the encouragement of, and even requirement to, (with a heavenly reward awaiting those who comply), murder and torture other human beings in the name of God because they don’t believe in your religion.

tigerlily on August 20, 2010 at 12:56 AM

GGMac on August 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Thanks for that. I didn’t know some of that.

sharrukin on August 20, 2010 at 1:03 AM

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM

You are a glutton for punishment!!! LOL

ladyingray on August 20, 2010 at 1:12 AM

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Let’s back this up a tetch, shall we?

The question, “Is obama a muslim?” begs another question, that is, “According to whom is obama a muslim?”

According to the teachings of Islam itself, you are a muslim from birth, and for life, if your father is a muslim at the time you were born. Period.

So, Islam considers obama a muslim by a circumstance that he couldn’t change if he wanted to: his birth parent.

And the real question is, does obama accept or reject this teaching that he is a muslim? This would be a great question to put to him.

imo, the muslim world seems to accept that he is a muslim, acting undercover for the advancement of the cause.

To muslim sensibilites, Barack Obama could be no higher in visibility or a worse example if he were truly an apostate from Islam. If he is an apostate, it seems strange that out of 1.2 billion muslims, about 10% of whom are real troublemakers, that someone of that gang, hoping for publicity as a superfaithful muslim or 72 virgins hasn’t at least issued a fatwa or two for the disrepectful American-imperialist-presidential-traitor-to-his-birth-faith by now.

tigerlily on August 20, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Twenty years at Wright’s Church should be enough evidence which God that Obama worships. Black Liberation Theology may sympathize with muslims, however, they have their own God that they must answer to and it’s not Allah. BLT might be seen as some type of a perversion of Christianity, but the fact that these members believe what they are taught and that group of follewers being taught included the Obama family has always seemed strange and worthy of more attention. What was the attraction for the Obama family?

I understand that Reverend Wright was just a crazy old uncle, and Obama was looking for stret cred, but damn what an intense racially charged atmosphere to acquire the much needed acceptance from the black community. I was curious enough at the time this controversy blew up to research Black Liberation Theology and attempt to see just exactly what this religion was all about and why Senator Obama and his family were so attracted to it.

The research led me to one man — James Cone — the founder of Black Liberation Theology. James Cone is obviously a man with intense racial anger and resentment. It wouldn’t be a stretch to conclude that anyone who followed in Cone’s footsteps would share his racial animosity and hatred of white people. I mean just look at the principles that are promoted by Black Liberation Theology and tell me how you can believe the tenets of this Church and not be racist towards whites.

Here is a profile of James Cone, which looks at his accomplishments, and how he founded Black Liberation Theology. I will highlight a few of his quotes below.

In his landmark 1969 book Black Theology and Black Power, Cone wrote:

“The time has come for white America to be silent and listen to black people …. All white men are responsible for white oppression … Theologically, Malcom X was not far wrong when he called the white man ‘the devil’ … Any advice from whites to blacks on how to deal with white oppression is automatically under suspicion as a clever device to further enslavement.”

“There will be no peace in America until whites begin to hate their whiteness, asking from the depths of their being. ‘How can we become black?’”

Cone from a 2004 essay.

“[Racism is] in — it’s in American culture. As you say, it’s in the DNA. It’s our — it’s white America’s original sin and it’s deep.”

“All white men are responsible for white oppression. it is much to easy to say, ‘Racism is not my fault,’ … Racism is possible because whites are indifferent to suffering and patient with cruelty.”

There are more quotes from James Cone at the link. I left out the quotes about the black God destroying the white God, and some of the other ourageous beliefs of a religion that our president was congregant of one of it’s churches for twenty years. I can’t imagine the media and the voters letting another presidential candidate off the hook with such controversial religious beliefs. Forget the obvious racial aspects of this religion, but how about Obama’s thoughts on the black God destroying the white God. I would love to hear that answer. I think if the electorate really knew about Black Liberation Theology, that President Obama would rather they thought he was a Muslim, or an atheist for that matter.

chief on August 20, 2010 at 1:18 AM

He was four, five, and six.

Think about what I’m saying to you. Stop typing for a moment and think.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM

No, for what it’s worth, when he was in Indonesia and practicing Islam he was six, seven, eight, nine and ten.

If you want to argue, do it from facts.

tigerlily on August 20, 2010 at 1:24 AM

No Muslim…I repeat: NO MUSLIM could stand being married to Michelle Obama for more than 30 seconds. They’d burka her to hell and back until she dropped the domineering attitude.

MadisonConservative on August 20, 2010 at 1:28 AM

holdfast on August 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I think you meant “Tranny”. Maybe berri’s “bodyman”, Reggie Lewis can tell us more.

tigerlily on August 20, 2010 at 1:32 AM

MadisonConservative on August 20, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Daisy Khan isn’t wearing a Burka.

If you want to argue that no man could stand being married to Michelle Obama I would agree.

sharrukin on August 20, 2010 at 1:33 AM

GGMac on August 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Bravo. That was so well written. Keep posting GGMac, you make things mighty interestin’ round these parts.

tigerlily on August 20, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Tav on August 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I’m with you 100% here — I was talking more about the stuff we should be doing more of, if not exclusively in places like Afghanistan and Pakistan: tactical strikes and special forces operations, wherever and whenever these barbarians pop out of their caves. Reports show that he has been more receptive to this than Bush, most notably in the formerly no-go Pakistan.

jjraines on August 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM

So, a plurality of Americans have no idea what religion Obama is. Must be because they’re racist. Can’t have anything to do with the fact that he refused to celebrate Christmas.

Phoenician on August 20, 2010 at 3:04 AM

Btw, per Muslim law, Obama’s a Muslim. This doesn’t mean that *he* sees himself as Muslim, but it’s amazing that only 18% think he is.

That would be like saying that a non-affiliated Jew is Jewish. Goodness! Just because he doesn’t want to be Jewish or anything else, doesn’t mean that JEWS don’t’ see that way.

Phoenician on August 20, 2010 at 3:06 AM

‘My Muslim faith’ plus not attending church results in questioning? What does Barry expect? He acts stupidly.

BHO Jonestown on August 20, 2010 at 3:42 AM

I wouldn’t get upset at people who think he’s a Muslim.

Obama sends no clear signal whatsoever about his religion. People have no idea what to think about this Shape-Shifter-in-Chief and his spiritual beliefs.

To answer “Muslim” to that poll is really as good a guess as any, because the most obvious answer appears to be that he’s just in a gigantic muddle about religion.

Edouard on August 20, 2010 at 3:46 AM

Gee, I wonder how that could have happened to Mr. “I’m a Citizen of the World,” who campaigned for the American presidency by holding a big rally in Germany, repeatedly emphasized his childhood in Indonesia, derisively dismissed any belief in American exceptionalism, contemptuously described ordinary Americans as bitterly clinging to their guns and their Bibles, and made it clear that the “post American world” couldn’t get here fast enough to suit him.

Yes, it really is shocking that so many Americans feel alienated from Obama.\

AZCoyote on August 20, 2010 at 3:59 AM

I think Obama is a muslim. I also think he is not a Christian, in the sense of believing Christ is the Son of God, died on the cross, was resurrected and ascended into Heaven, which conflicts with muslim theology

Obama was raised a muslim so he well understood he was a birth muslim. He converted to a black theology church which is a hotbed of hate, the antithesis of Christ, and he has not wandered into any other form of Christianity.

At best, he might be a ‘Jesus had some good/useful ideas’ Christian

A Christian church cannot share a congregation with muslims, like Wright’s church does, because to deify Christ is apostasy of muslims, while to accept Mohammed as a prophet is a denial of the Law to Christians, since Mohammed practiced and preached revenge against enemies, war spoils, dual rights, materialism, and the use of deceit for gain, all sins to Christians.

Without the Cross, there is no Pauline Christian faith, and in islam, the secret iman will return to break the cross to prove the resurrection was a fraud

Obama does not exchange gifts with family at Christmas. He does not celebrate his birthday, in the usual celebration. Celebrating birthdays is apostasy to most muslims, considered idolatry. Celebrating Christ’s birthday is absolutely idolatry, since Christ is not considered the son of God, or part of God.

IMHO Obama appears extremely uncomfortable with his Christian pose. He even had the cross covered at Notre Dame when he gave a speech there.

I have been waiting to see if Obama will ‘come out’, at least as a muslim, before or after he leaves office. I assume if he thinks he can still gain posing as a Christian, he will continue the charade for his lifespan

I see a lot of posers in politics, but usually they are people of no faith pretending to be religious. Obama clings to islam like a talisman

entagor on August 20, 2010 at 4:36 AM

What is Obama?
I’m gonna go with “muslim islamist-sympathizing atheist.”

stefanite on August 20, 2010 at 5:10 AM

Under muslim law Obama is muslim. his father was so be default he is. Now the fact he has praised islam several times in the recent past, failed to pick a new church and for 20 years went to a church that is more about BLT then christianity will point to anyone with half a brain saying they really don’t know and thus the 43% +18% answers.

I have no idea where the 34% like Allah that think he is a christian got their answer because besides from a couple pastors speaking for him Obama has done nothing to prove he is. n0o church, no prayers, no mention of God. nothing.

unseen on August 20, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Redstate is noting that reporters are now asking Republican reporters whether Obama is a Muslim.

Response: “Can we agree that he’s a lousy president?”

BuckeyeSam on August 20, 2010 at 5:20 AM

Wasn’t there some poll that asks people if they think Obama is the Antichrist? As I recall, the number of similarly in the teens.

year_of_the_dingo on August 20, 2010 at 6:23 AM

At the very least, He is a domestic enemy of the constitution. At the very least. Isnt that right AP.

Viper1 on August 20, 2010 at 6:34 AM

Kirsten Powers is a typical liberal. She can’t follow her own logic in an argument.

First she laments how conservatives use the accusation of being a Muslim as a smear when there is nothing wrong with being a Muslim, and then she gets all righteous about Rush refering to Obama as “Iman Obama” as being a high insult.

And, of course, no liberal argument is complete without the personal attack.

Jaynie59 on August 20, 2010 at 6:49 AM

The only thing Barack Obama believes in is Barack Obama.

Mr. D on August 20, 2010 at 6:57 AM

Well Obama was born a Muslim, so technically he is a Muslim. Does it really matter? No, except that he has continually denied it and pretended to be a Christian – which he is clearly not either. At best maybe he is agnostic. I am just speculating.. it doesn’t mean anything to me. I won’t like him regardless.

tflst5 on August 20, 2010 at 7:17 AM

A man who, (in his memoirs at40 yrs old) based his choice to attend Wright’s hate-church (for 20 years) on the belief that it had the best potential for him to gain an audience as a community organizer, DEFINITELY takes his faith seriously.

Alden Pyle on August 20, 2010 at 7:18 AM

tflst5 on August 20, 2010 at 7:17 AM

I’m almost with you… except his god is himself. Seriously, that man worships that ground he walks on. Kind of sickening.

MeatHeadinCA on August 20, 2010 at 7:32 AM

One can seriously argue whether 0 is really an athiest or muslim. One can’t seriously argue that he is a Christian. He shows no evidence of Christian fruit (“by their fruits you shall know them”) and whenever he addresses the subject he betrays a total ignorance of Biblical Christianity. Many examples are noted above, especially the “bitter clingers” remark. I would also add that when asked whether homosexuality is a sin under Christianity he replied, “Which are you going to believe, an obscure passage from Romans or the Sermon on the Mount?” Nobody who has ever studied the Bible or spent any time in Church could ever make such a foolish statement. It is so wrong on so many counts no Christian would ever say such a thing.

tommyboy on August 20, 2010 at 7:44 AM

GGMac on August 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Thank you for your comment. I suggest that those who haven’t read it do so, especially AP. Facts are pesky things.

It doesn’t really make any difference whether Obama is in fact a Muslim. He acts like one.

Basilsbest on August 20, 2010 at 7:58 AM

jjraines on August 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM

^^ This.

Good Lt on August 20, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Best comment in this thread so far. Kudos!

crushliberalism on August 20, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Mr. D on August 20, 2010 at 6:57 AM

Precisely.

Obozo’s favored place of worship is no further away than the nearest mirror.

[That and his attachment to the Church of the Holy 5-iron.]

But yeah, he does seem to be a tad more predisposed towards Islam than the average Joe. /s

CPT. Charles on August 20, 2010 at 8:04 AM

One thing to remember, Reagan hardly ever went to church, so public display of religion is not a good gauge. In Reagan’s case, he said it interfered with other people too much for him.

But then Imam Obama displays enough of his get whitey BLT, kiss Muslim trait to make the decisions for you. Imam Obama seems to not be American either. Imam Obama holds grudges and gets even with people who get in his way. You could say his religion is thuggery.

I wonder will the media investigate Obama’s true religion? Sorry self answering question.

tarpon on August 20, 2010 at 8:04 AM

This morning all the liberals (including Scarborough) are very concerned about the future of Republicans, if they continue to make this and the Mosque an issue.

First: What Republican leaders are making either of those things the focus of anything? “It’s the economy, stupid…”

Second: Why would all these liberal whack jobs care if the Republicans went off the deep end over this stuff?

I can understand the White House giving Scarborough his orders to attempt damage control, but it would appear they have taken the wrong direction. Unless I have missed something, the Republicans have been pretty quiet on these issues and are letting the Democrats run with the rope.

joedoe on August 20, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Is “Dumbass” a religion.

Because that’s what I think Barry is.

NoDonkey on August 20, 2010 at 8:08 AM