Pew poll: 18% think Obama is a Muslim

posted at 9:06 pm on August 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

My first reaction whenever this question is polled is commiseration with The One, because, believe it or not, there is something worse election-wise for an American politician to be than Muslim. Anyway, the raw data:

It’s tempting to blame the change on the uproar over the Ground Zero mosque, but the poll was concluded on August 5 and that story didn’t break big until Obama weighed in on it last week, on August 13. DrewM is surely right that the uptick here is due in part to an unpopular president being lumped in with an unpopular group, but I think it’s broader than that. Note that the change in the number of those who no longer say O is a Christian is twice as large as the number who insist he’s a Muslim; that’s evidence, I think, of Americans feeling so alienated by his policies that they’ve concluded he must be from a different planet culturally — if not Muslim, then at least certainly not Christian. In other words, whatever group he’s in, it ain’t theirs. (Pew missed a big opportunity here in not polling the atheism question, as I bet you’d see an uptick in that too.) As for why he’s so often accused of being Muslim, the default lefty explanation is of course racism but I think it’s more a combination of his middle name, his background growing up in Indonesia, and his attempt to win over Muslim public opinion with his Cairo speech last year. And all of that gets compounded by soundbites that are taken out of context or cleverly edited to make it sound like he’s making admissions about his “true faith.” Just last week a commenter e-mailed claiming that Obama had once told Stephanopoulos that he was a Muslim and I had to send him the link to this post from two years ago to set him right.

It’s all very lame and obnoxious, especially given the testimony from pastors that Obama takes his Christian faith seriously, but much like the Birther thing, there’s virtually nothing you can say to convince someone who’s sure that O is what he thinks he is. I recommend re-reading Karl’s post from earlier this month on the phenomenon of polling Birthers, as it holds plenty of applicable wisdom in this case too. Essentially, when polling people who dislike candidate X, the specifics of the questions are almost irrelevant. As long as they’re negatively inclined — e.g., “Is Obama a werewolf?” — you’ll get a certain core percentage willing to say yes. The news in this poll is that as much as 18 percent think being a Muslim is inherently negative. But as I said above, that’s also true (if not more true) of atheism. Via Mediaite, here’s KP on the issue:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Told you Farve was coming back..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM

You did and you were right :)

Let’s hope this is the year. Would be fun to have the Twins go deep into October and follow it up with another great Vikings year.

gophergirl on August 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I think when it comes beliefs you have to take people at their word….unless their deeds say otherwise. Obama has not said or done anything that would lead to believe he’s a Muslim.

terryannonline on August 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Why? He was raised Muslim and is a pathological liar. Listen to what he says and believe the opposite.

Chazz on August 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I think he is his own god.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM

You have a point..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I believe his supposed Christianity is a veneer he put on for political purposes. I think he was born and raised a Muslim, and still has a strong identification with it, but I don’t believe he is really devoted to any religion. I’m am an atheist and I do not see in Obama the qualities that cause me to respect so many of the devout Christians I’ve had the pleasure of knowing.

backwoods conservative on August 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I don’t need to take their word on his faith when Obama himself said – less than two years ago – that he thinks there are a lot of paths leading to the same place, that he doesn’t necessarily believe in heaven or hell, that sin is “Being out of alignment with my values.” and being aligned spiritually is “It’s when I’m being true to myself.” Whatever that is, it’s not orthodox Christianity.

Laura Curtis on August 19, 2010 at 9:36 PM

It’s narcissism.

“Being out of alignment with my values”. He looks to himself for answers. Period.

“It’s when I’m being true to myself”. When aligning that statement with one’s “spirituality” it’s about as narcissistic as a person can get.

ButterflyDragon on August 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM

By the way, it doesn’t frickin matter if he is a Muslim or not. If you really think the man is Muslim, see sentence #1.

CapitalistPig on August 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM

No I’m serious. What has he said or done that makes you think he’s a Muslim?

terryannonline on August 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM

terryannonline:This!!!!!!!!!!!!
===================================================

canopfor on August 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Oh god! Who would they be? The only Reverend I know of that he’s publically been associated with is a guy who’s last name begins (and ends) with Wright.

AUINSC on August 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM

…this just goes to show that at any given point your average WalMart shopper is a blooming idiot.

I shop at Wal-Mart and have a professional degree idiot. Stop generalizing.
You are a troll.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM

I think he is a devout Marxist…

d1carter on August 19, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I was going to reply but I’ll hold my thoughts.
The posters here attacking him as socialist/atheist/Marxist/traitor and other names are, in my view, just not making sense.
I’ll just move on.
SteveMG on August 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM

??????

Explain. Ao you’re mad people say he’s Marxist? Or mad at the Muslim labels?

picklesgap on August 19, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Maybe I’ll write a post about it tonight. It’s too much to do here right now.

therightscoop on August 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Do you remeber the way Hussain treated Bibi ? He even refused to share a meal with a Jew ( Bibi)…..he reserves his top notch contempt for all those who muslims are supposed to hate.

macncheez on August 19, 2010 at 9:42 PM

He’s a cultural Muslim, a pretend Christian, a self-worshiping demi-god, a barely-concealed Marxist, and a dangerous SOB.

Maquis on August 19, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Allegedly camels and large tents have recently been seen at the WH , go figure.

Sandybourne on August 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM

gophergirl on August 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Was just saying the same thing to my daughter this evening. Here’s hoping!

coyoterex on August 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM

BTW, his pastor Jeremiah Wright is also a former Muslim who has links to Farrakhan’s Nation of Islam.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM

No I’m serious. What has he said or done that makes you think he’s a Muslim?

terryannonline on August 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Maybe I’ll write a post about it tonight. It’s too much to do here right now.

therightscoop on August 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM

therightscoop on August 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I don’t care what faith he alleges to profess.

He’s Anti American. He has earned this title through his deeds and actions, and through measurable results.

Key West Reader on August 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM

This!

bluemarlin on August 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM

It’s not the issue of his religion that I’m so relieved to see at last explored, but the issue of his authenticity.

During the campaign he steadfastly denied his radical Marxism and anti-American liberation theology, and represented himself as a centrist, a man of mainstream America. Though we at HA knew better, most voters were fooled. He stole the election by misrepresentation.

Unlike most presidents, he has failed to grow in the job. Indeed, he has become more petty.

As now he becomes exposed as the poseur he is, I say he richly deserves what’s coming his way:

November 2010.

petefrt on August 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I think he is his own god. – Cindy

Yup … and the scary part is that so many voters agree with him!

Tony737 on August 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM

He’s anti-American…pro-Muslim…anti-Israel.

the rest doesn’t matter. he is our ENEMY!

Justrand on August 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Odumbo is a misotheist–a god hater and a Muslim by default.

Urban Infidel on August 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Perhaps now that we’ve established Poindexter McSmartypants as a quasi-Christian from Hawaii, perhaps he’d be so good as to stop witholding his educational records-what is he hiding there?

Little Boomer on August 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Yeah, not something to trumpet. I’ll bet half of them think he’s somehow an atheist too.Allahpundit on August 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I would say that intellectually he is an atheist and emotionally a Muslim. This is hardly surprising as most people are emotionally attached to the religion they were introduced to at a young age.

None of us knows but it’s understandable that so many think he is a Muslim given his track record and not just including his support for the Victory Mosque on the ashes of the innocents massacred in the name of Islam, but also his refusal to acknowledge Muslim extremism and that he attributed Chinese inventions to Muslims, gave Muslims credit for the work of Irish Monks and outrageously claims that Muslims have always been contributors to American life.

What gets me AP is that you are so certain of something of which you have no knowledge.

Your comment: stupid is the stupidest comment that will appear on this thread.

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Who cares about his transcripts. I didn’t care that Dubya got C’s at Yale. So did Waffles and so did The Goracle. I’m not sure why so many people are hung up on that stuff. Bambi still graduated from Columbia and Harvard, and that doesn’t change the fact that he’s still a douche.

The only thing he’s guilty of is loving himself more than he loves his country.

Lance Murdock on August 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM

he is our ENEMY!

Justrand on August 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Amen.

Maquis on August 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM

If the shoe fits. By the way, I’m no troll. If that’s the easy way for you to close out an argument, I dare say your “professional degree” is not in anything that involves any actual thought on your part.

CapitalistPig on August 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

canopfor on August 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Here is more proof..:)

PS.. thought you might like this website..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

If I changed my faith now, I would always link it to my Catholic upbringing: to the Mass, the sacraments, the songs, and the Stations.

You can’t wash your hands clean of that. It’s like trying to re-learn language.

Kneeling on a rug five times a day and reciting the Call to Prayer in Arabic in a child isn’t washed away by a baptism. Even if I — a mid-twentysomething — turned Pentacostal today, I would find it strange not to kneel during “Mass,” not to see green during “Ordinary Time,” and not say anything — ever — in Latin.

Don’t tell me Obama doesn’t have similar sentiments going to a Madrassa as a kid.

lansing quaker on August 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

It’s narcissism.
ButterflyDragon on August 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Yes. If there were an R after his name the media would have eviscerated him for saying the things he said – even though most probably agree and think it’s a pretty good philosophy, whether they are worshipping themselves or Obama. The beliefs Obama stated are actually pretty mainstream. But… they repudiate Christianity, not affirm it.

Laura Curtis on August 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

The only question is if he still is.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM

He may have no choice.

Moslem law dictates that the birth father has dominion over the entire household and its religion, regardless of who the Moslem male marries or beds. They can have 4 wives and still be in compliance with Shariah.

In Shariah, any child born of any couple wherein the male is moslem, the child is, was, and always shall be.. a Moslem. Especially a son. This is one of the strongest tenets of the islamic faith.

Hmmmm…. Maybe the House of Saud is making Barry say things he may not believe. If that’s the case, then what?

Key West Reader on August 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Your comment: stupid is the stupidest comment that will appear on this thread.

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Too true. Reminds me of BOR shouting down an Obama dissenter as someone that simply doesn’t like him…

Maquis on August 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Little Boomer on August 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Perhaps because it will show him not to be near as smart as so many of the MSM and liberals think he is.

The only thing he’s guilty of is loving himself more than he loves his country.

Lance Murdock on August 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Eh, not a huge deal to me, but when coupled with all the other covert items, it makes him appear to be hiding something.

I agree with your last statement.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

For a supposed radical Muslim, he sure does like to kill the Islamists.
SteveMG on August 19, 2010 at 9:23 PM

It all depends on which sub-sect is in fashion at the time …

jerrytbg on August 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I’m a poor guesser. I was hoping those pop up ads had stopped. Poop. I’ll check back again in a few weeks.

ericdijon on August 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Hey, did Kathleen Parker hack into APs post? Because this is an uncharacteristically dopey line. It’s got nothing to do with his policies, and everything to do with the passion with which he speaks and acts towards anything that has to do with Islam, and in the rare instance that he gives attention to other faiths, it sounds hollow, bland and insincere.
Not impressed by the pastor link AP. Even you could walk the walk and talk the talk of a devout Christian if it suited your personal and political ambitions. Obama is not a Muslim but he pays lip service to Christianity.

CarolynM on August 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I wonder how many people think Obamas a Marxist?

MCGIRV on August 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Ask a Muslim if he’s Muslim.

Remember what Obama thinks is the prettiest sound in the world. The evening call to prayers.

Why would anyone think he’s a Muslim?

misterpeasea on August 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I dont think he is a muslim. I just believe he is anti American.

William Amos on August 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Re: Obama Admits Muslim Faith

canopfor on August 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM

One other point about the poll: less than 50% of all Democrats and less than 50% of all blacks think Obama’s a Christian. So this ain’t a problem that he has only with conservatives.

Also, the WH issued a statement trying to bolster his Christian-cred. And I think one of the points the WH made was that he gets a daily e-mail devotional. Well, I’d like to know who he gets that from because if its from Jim Wallis’s Sojourners, I’m crying foul. Obama can take that social-justice nonsense somewhere else.

BuckeyeSam on August 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM

The real problem is that the electorate is that ignorant when it come to picking someone to represent them in office.
This is why we are in the pickle we are in right now. It truly is a “popularity” contest.

grapeknutz on August 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Key West Reader on August 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Well yes, legally under Sharia law he would be an apostate to Islam and thus subject to death. However most Muslims don’t seem to think he is an apostate, though I have heard that a few do.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM

CapitalistPig on August 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Anyone who makes blanket statements as ignorant as you did shows trollism. As a matter of fact, that being your first paragraph, I chose not to read the rest of what you wrote. I don’t waste time reading crap from people who have such a propensity to paint with such a broad brush.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM

The guy’s a classic Ivy League secularist, but according to Islamic theology, since he was once officially a Muslim as a child (this is documented in his Indonesian school records), he is always and forever a Muslim. Islam is like the Hotel California of religions. Maybe that 20% represents the teeming masses of devout Muslims that our president assures us are and always have been everywhere in America.

shazbat on August 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I read that Time said 20% and I heard on the radio it reported 25%. It is all good. :)

Blake on August 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM

The mansourian president

macncheez on August 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM

The man doesn’t do much to show otherwise. He’s an atheist.

teacherman on August 19, 2010 at 9:08 PM

First comment and the best. This has been my opinion from the start. Communists are atheists after all. You can sugarcoat it and call him a socialist if you want.

Seriously though, who believes this guy is a Christian? What has he done to make anyone believe that. Just because he’s said he’s a Christian doesn’t mean I believe him. In fact I believe nothing he says. Has the 1st family found a new church to attend in DC? Have they even been looking?

Faith without works is dead.

Goldenavatar on August 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM

canopfor on August 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM
========================================
Here is more proof..:)

PS.. thought you might like this website..:)

Dire Straits on August 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Dire Straits:Cute,Mosque on zee WH,and Linky,Shazaam
me likey that site!!:)

canopfor on August 19, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I can’t believe how successful Obama has been in creating a wall of confusion around his background.

Nation of Islam is not the same thing as Islam. It’s much, much worse.

logis on August 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM

He didn’t create that wall of confusion all alone. The Democrat-controlled Mainstream Media played a huge role.

BTW, let’s talk about polls. O’bama also set a new standard of excellence in 2008 when he got 70% of high school dropouts to vote for him (source: MSNBC).

No Presidential candidate in history had ever done that before. The closest was Algore in 2000 with just over 60%.

Del Dolemonte on August 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM

As he was born a Muslim, at what point did he leave?

Has he got an Islamic Apostate certificate?

Birth of the Apostaters!

BL@KBIRD on August 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I chose not to read the rest of what you wrote.
carbon_footprint on August 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I’m pretty surprised that you would admit to such childishness. “I didn’t like what he said so I didn’t read the rest“.

grow frickin up, child.

CapitalistPig on August 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Right. We have seen his idea of Christian pastors. Hahahahahaha!

Blake on August 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Hand him a pork chop and see what happens. The birther stuff is bs, but it was born on the left. KP wants ro blame mean old Republicans for what Hillary loons started. It took hold late, but it did gain traction.

Southernblogger on August 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Your comment: stupid is the stupidest comment that will appear on this thread.

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Nail on head….So STUPID to think it…there are 1000 legit reasons to wonder…AP dismisses out of hand…

winston on August 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM

You find similar poll results (18%) to any number of questions — astrology, ghosts, UFOs, crop circles, New Mexico is a foreign country, Creation ‘science’, or the 9/11 conspiracy.

I don’t care what he believes, I care what he does. Many want to know why he is beating us over the head with government; I just want him to stop.

GnuBreed on August 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM

He doesn’t have to “cling to religion”. That would be too “common” and he truly doesn’t believe he is common.

JAM on August 19, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Thanks for reminding me. The “bitter clingers” is not how ANY Christian would comment on others people’s faith in Christ.

Conan on August 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Odummy’s interview with Cathleen Falsani at the Chicago Sun-Times in 2004 approaches an explanation of his ‘faith.’ If anyone think he’s a Christian after reading this hopeless mish mash, I just don’t know what to say.

Urban Infidel on August 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I have to admit I am surprised. Surprised that the number isn’t even higher!

huckleberryfriend on August 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Really? The media is getting all worked up because 18% of people think Obama is a muslim? Uh, more people believe in UFO’s, this strikes me as a “poor Obama, let’s all feel sorry for him because Americans are xenophobes” kind of story.

clearbluesky on August 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I agree, AP.

I believe the poll results are a combination of his parentage (there is a strong belief in the US that you are what your parents are) and his failure (for lack of a better word) to project a strong Christian faith. As people feel increasingly disconnected from his policies, they’re going to choose the “other” options.

As an example, I think it’s also noteworthy that the “don’t know” group increased by 9%.

Potfry on August 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

CapitalistPig on August 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Hey, it’s my time and I choose what I want to read. Want readership? Don’t begin your screed with a blanket comment claiming everyone who shops at Wal-Mart are idiots.

You must be an elite, urban fool. Guess what? A very large percentage of Americans in fly-over country shop at Wal-Mart. You just called millions of people idiots with your stupid statement.

Go to hell.

I am done with you Pig.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Right. We have seen his idea of Christian pastors. Hahahahahaha!

Blake on August 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Such as…

Speaking before an audience that included Marion Barry, Cornel West, Malik Zulu Shabazz of the New Black Panther Party and Nation of Islam official Jamil Muhammad, Wright praised Louis Farrakhan, defended the view that Zionism is racism, accused the United States of terrorism, repeated his view that the government created the AIDS virus to cause the genocide of racial minorities, stood by other past remarks (“God damn America”) and held himself out as a spokesman for the black church in America.

Also Wright’s church Farrakhan on the cover of its magazine the Trumpet.

The church also posted…

a manifesto by Hamas that defended terrorism as legitimate resistance, refused to recognize the right of Israel to exist and compared the terror group’s official charter – which calls for the murder of Jews – to America’s Declaration of Independence[?]

The idea that Islam, The Nation of Islam, and Black Liberation Theology, and Marxism are all neatly separated from each other doesn’t coincide with reality.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM

grow frickin up, child.

CapitalistPig on August 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Oh yeah, and one more thing, f(u)ck you, you elitist piece of crap.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM

If I remember correctly this “Obama is a Muslim” meme came out of the Hillary campaign first. They pushed the madrassa story and probably the picture of Obama in a Turban.

bluemarlin on August 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM

That’s a true story. I was the one who found that photo in an obscure African newsletter. One of Hillary’s PUMAs was flabbergasted and asked me where I found it. I gave her the link and the rest is history.

That said, I’ve said here before that I don’t think Obama is even slightly religious. The meme has been that he sat in Jeremiah Wright’s Black Liberation Theology church for 20 years, but I’ve never seen anyone come out and say, “Hey, the Obamas sat next to me in church every Sunday!”

I think he has warm, fuzzy memories of his childhood in a Muslim country. Considering his atheist Communist parentage, it seems obvious to me that he joined Wright’s church for political contacts, not religious reasons. Maybe even to help stoke his wife’s racist anger. It certainly sounds like her kind of church.

In 2004, the left decided to go after Christians and the middle class because they knew they needed them to win. Obama was part of that effort. I think he regards religion as a political tool and nothing more.

Connie on August 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Actually I thought Barry just worshiped himself.

GarandFan on August 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM

AP is too dismissive of Obama’s statement to Steph. in the clip links to. The words came out of Obama’s mouth, and Obama did not say what AP infers. Moreover, if it was so clear, why did Steph bother to correct Obama?
AP spins Obama’s words as being the same as if Obama had said: “McCain has not accused me of being a Muslim.” Rather, Obama spoke of “my Muslim faith,” and Obama was clearly comfortable with his own words until Steph corrected him. In a court of law Steph would have been chastised for interfering with the testimony of a witness.

GaltBlvnAtty on August 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Rush laid it out very well today…obvious why the casual observer would suspect it…only the foolish and non observant would dismiss this out of hand

winston on August 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Well stated. But AllahPundit obviously thinks he is smarter than the 25% of Americans who actually are critical thinkers on this issue. The fact is Obama is a Muslim under Islamic law. http://www.debbieschlussel.com/26101/uh-sorry-time-technically-obama-is-muslim/

Both his father and stepfather were Muslims and the apple never falls far from the tree. If you add the fact that 100% of the Islamic world also believes he is Muslim, it becomes pretty obvious except to the clueless and those in denial.

AllahPundit evidently has never heard of “taquiyya” if he takes Obama at his word, and he is definitely not a critical thinker if he can’t go beyond Obama’s word to look at Obama’s actions, foreign policy, personal statements like “The Muslim call to prayer is the most beautiful sound on earth,” and his family background. . .not to mention Islamic law itself.

Gabe on August 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Please, one more time, guys:

It’s not his religion. IT’S HIS AUTHENTICITY.

petefrt on August 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM

They’re one and the same. It’s time that someone just says it out loud. I think Sarah’s balz might be larger than Newt’s.

Let’s see who comes out first to finally say what needs to be said.

Key West Reader on August 19, 2010 at 10:09 PM

I’m convinced he at least rides muslim even if down deep he recognizes no higher power than himself. And I hope to see the debate continue because if just propogates the meme.

tommyboy on August 19, 2010 at 10:11 PM

In other words, whatever group he’s in, it ain’t theirs.

Heh.

The Ugly American on August 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Please, one more time, guys:

It’s not his religion. IT’S HIS AUTHENTICITY.

petefrt on August 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I’m convinced. He is authentically a liar. Joe Wilson had him pegged.

backwoods conservative on August 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Let’s see who comes out first to finally say what needs to be said.

Key West Reader on August 19, 2010 at 10:09 PM

It’s like Karl Marx. He was a Marxists (obviously), born a Jew, and anti-semitic.

I wouldn’t hold my breathe for any politician to say anything unless things start to go ‘Red Dawn’ and then they will form a committee to study the issue.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Urban Infidel on August 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Great link, thanks.

d1carter on August 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Oh yeah, and one more thing, f(u)ck you, you elitist piece of crap.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Should have told him to refer to the chorus and made him/her think about it. I am chiming in cause I shop at Walmart as well.

bluemarlin on August 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I think we have a winner

Gracelynn on August 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I am chiming in cause I shop at Walmart as well.

bluemarlin on August 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Are Walmart shoppers not real conservatives now?

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Gabe on August 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Enough with the ignorance, and this continual reliance on the concept of taqqiyya.

100 percent? Nice polling. Why do I doubt it?

Debbie Schussel, angry blogger extraordinaire?

So, let me guess:

Obama has been hiding a secret Muslim faith for decades? He attended non-Muslim houses of worship for years, believes in left wing cultural causes that are (yes you guessed it) antithetical to the Islamic worldview, married a non-Muslim, has not raised his children to be Muslim, doesn’t eat Halal, doesn’t engage in eid salat every morning, yet is a Muslim?

Get a grip!

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

It matters not if obama is officially a muslim. That is something for which there are no paper documents in any case – unlike a birth certificate or his school transcripts. What does matter is where do his sympathies lay? Does he view the world, and America, like a muslim would? And I think that is the context in which this question has been answered by 18% of those polled.

keep the change on August 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

And I could go on and on.

Ah yes, for the maghrib salah at night, he secretly faces east towards Mecca on his sajjada and prays to Allah.

UGH.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Oh you poor atheist, you!

Be of good cheer – I don’t believe that Obama believes in God at all. So you two have something in common.

disa on August 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM

This video has compiled anecdotal evidence to suggest obama has the mind of a muslim. And since islam is more of a school of thought, than a traditional religion, the state of mind is what qualifies one as a muslim – not whether he eats pork or sits in a marxist church. Is he a muslim politically? That is the real question. Does he view the world as a political muslim would?

2.6 million views so far.

keep the change on August 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

What hasn’t Obama been hiding about his past?

We know next to nothing about this guys past beyond what he manufactured (his books and press releases for example) for public consumption.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

“Obama Mulls Fatwa Against 24% Who Think He’s Muslim”: http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=4786

onlineanalyst on August 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM

IMPORTANT to note:
Any Muslim can honestly (in his view) call himself a Christian!
In fact Muslims consider Jesus a great (Muslim) prophet but in their religion, the Jews and Christians have distorted the scriptures with many falsehoods so that Muslims can consider themselves the true Christians – they know who Jesus really was and honor him as he should be – not like the ignorant infidels who think they’re followers of Jesus.

Hence for Obama to call himself a Christian is meaningless unless he adds (which he hasn’t) that he is not a Muslim and rejects the notion of Muhammad as God’s prophet and denies the Quran as God’s dictation to him. I’d like to hear Obama do that!

So I’m tired of these pundits being so sure he’s not a Muslim – I wish these annoying talking heads would actually study Islam for a change.

Chessplayer on August 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Are Walmart shoppers not real conservatives now?

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I am not sure about real conservatives but apparently, according to CapitalistPig we are “blooming idiots”. I have a feeling if you ask him, your average conservative qualifies as the same. I could be wrong.

bluemarlin on August 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM

CapitalistPig on August 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM

He is not, atleast in any real sense. But to think that that wouldn’t matter shows a shocking (yet common) ignorance of Islam. Islam and Sharia law are fundamentally at odds with Western liberal values, and cannot be reconciled. It is simply incompatible with our Constitution and way of life.

THIS is the only reason it does matter, and the only religious with clout that falls into this category of being relevant.

jjraines on August 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Can an empty suit have a faith?

They say or do anything depending on the audience.

roflmao

donabernathy on August 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Well, someone is going to notice him doing Salat.

He ain’t a Muzzy.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Bottom line: Americans have stopped believing he is who he says he is. It doesn’t matter what he is claiming to be, e.g. a Centrist, everything he claims is in doubt. He has lost credibility, and he brought this on himself.

DrStock on August 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

SHOCK: Democrats who think Obama is a Muslim soar 30%!

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

100 percent? Nice polling. Why do I doubt it?

Debbie Schussel, angry blogger extraordinaire?

So, let me guess:

Get a grip!

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

According to Jewish law, if one’s mother is Jewish, one is a Jew. According to Islamic law, if one’s father is a Muslim, one is a Muslim. Obama’s father and stepfather were Muslims. What is it about this you don’t understand? Obama is a Muslim according to Islamic law. That is why 25% of Americans who are critical thinkers get it, and 100% of the Islamic world get it.

Then you add his entire pro-Muslim, anti-Israel foreign policy and only the utterly clueless and those in denial would not be able to piece together the facts.

Gabe on August 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Whatever he may be, he is not a Christian. There is nothing about the Christian life that he takes seriously. Does he ever go to church? Does he consistently tell the truth? Does he work for justice? Does he promote the law of the land? Does he defend the weak?

No, no, no, no and no.

He lies consistently and flagrantly. He demonizes groups consistently and flagrantly. He allows his administration to ignore lawbreakers. He does every end run around the Constitution he can get away with. He supports infanticide.

These are not the actions of a man who honors Christ with his life.

Don’t pay attention to words. Jesus said look at the fruit of a person’s life. All Christians do sin, but what does their life consistently say about what that person believes?

INC on August 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

PBHO may or may not be a muslim, but he is definitely way underqualified for the job as POTUS, and that is all I need to know.

Bishop on August 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Please. Don’t lecture me on Islamic law.
Muhammad himself stated every baby is born a Muslim, but they are perverted by their parents into Christians or Jews. He was not raised Muslim. He attended both Muslim AND Catholic school.

And so what if people TELL HIM he is a Muslim. He himself, in his mind, has NOT been hiding a Muslim faith for 40 years. Get over it. There is no evidence.

The evidence points to him being a left wing ignoramus with a penchant for sympathizing with the Muslims, like…
drum roll

Jimmeh Carter. Just another dopey leftist in a long line.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

The 18% figure is depressed by deliberate incompetence from the leftist media and squishiness from self-styled right. How many of you know what I’ve posted below?

Pres. Obama seems ambivalent about the father he hardly knew, but he has effusively praised Obama Sr.’s academic accomplishments in economics and what he euphemistically calls the “promise” his father had to fulfill to Africa. That “promise” was Marxism – that was Obama Sr.’s ideology.

Odinga’s son, Raila Odinga, is a committed communist – so much so that he named one of his sons after Fidel Castro. … Odinga was also complicit in a plot to overthrow Daniel arap Moi, Kenyatta’s pro-American successor, in a violent coup in 1982 – for which he spent eight years in prison. In the insidious world of African politics, this did not disqualify him for future advancement. Odinga became energy minister in 2001, which enabled him to strike very lucrative personal arrangements with Colonel Gaddafi in Libya and with Sheikh Abdukeder al-Bakari of the Al Bakari oil dynasty in Saudi Arabia. By the way, al-Bakari’s name appears on the “golden chain” list of wealthy donors to Osama bin Laden during the Afghan mujahideen’s jihad against the Soviets. (The list was seized from an al Qaeda safehouse during a 2002 raid in Sarajevo.)

Notwithstanding this history, when Raila Odinga decided to run for president in 2007, then-Senator Barack Obama – who did very little in America during his brief stint in the senate – spent six days in Kenya campaigning for and with Odinga. During their barnstorming, Obama lambasted the incumbent, pro-American government as corrupt and in need of … wait for it … Change.

It later emerged that Odinga had made a deal with Kenya’s Islamist faction (a turbulent minority) to impose sharia law and Islamic courts if he won the election. He lost the election and (surprise!) the Islamists revolted.

This plunged Kenya into chaos, with thousands displaced and many killed. Odinga capitalized on the violence, and on his close relationship with Obama, to extort the Kenyan government into creating a powerful position for him: prime minister, an office no one had held in Kenya since Kenyatta occupied it in the brief transitional phase before he became president of the new republic.

If this had received one tenth of the attention from our incompetent media – left and right – as Palin’s linguistic idiosyncrasies that 18% would triple.

Basilsbest on August 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Well, someone is going to notice him doing Salat.
He ain’t a Muzzy.

Very cute. I bet you believe he is straight as well.

Chazz on August 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

So many experts on Islam who know so little about it.

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM