Devastating: New KFC “Skinwich” doesn’t actually exist

posted at 4:50 pm on August 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

Slow news day reality: It was either this or yet another mosque post. You’re welcome.

The greatest thing about this very inspired goof? It’s way, waaay over the top — note the spelling of the city names at the end of the post — and yet still seems entirely plausible. Would the creators of the Double Down really think to tear the skin off a bunch of chickens, fry it up, then serve it on a bun? And would Americans really eat it?

We all know the answer, don’t we?

For those who longed to sink their teeth into five layers of crispy chicken skin, American cheese and bacon, KFC spokesman Rick Maynard has some bad news. Tonight he confirmed that the Skinwich was “just the result of someone having a little fun online”–which my colleague Kevin Pang also later did by making his own version of the sandwich here.

“While there is nothing like the taste of KFC’s Original Recipe,” Maynard wrote, “the best way to enjoy it is on a piece of KFC Original Recipe chicken.”

In sum: The existence of the Skinwich was so well within the realm of possibility that it required a formal denial from KFC headquarters. It has, my friends, come to this. The silver lining in our dark cloud of heart-ache, though? There’s always a chance that KFC will respond to public salivation over this mouth-wateringly abhorrent idea by making the Skinwich a reality. Wouldn’t be the first time an Internet prank has turned into a real product, either. Remember when ThinkGeek cooked up the ingenious Tauntaun sleeping bag for its April Fools blog? How’d that work out? Via Mediaite, apparently amateur Skinwiches are just as delicious as you’d imagine them to be. (“Your first instinct might be to barf, but this is one amazing sandwich. No sarcasm. No irony.”) And since KFC’s trying to cater to the sort of weight-conscious idiot who wants to eat healthy but insists on doing it at KFC for some reason, they can make good use of the deskinned chicken breasts. Win/win!

Exit question: Is this a hoax too? I honestly can’t tell anymore.

Comments

Never heard of pork rinds?

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM

somewhere some place someone is serving fried chicken skin as food.

rob verdi on August 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM

pepperjack please

fourdeucer on August 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Isn’t this commonly referred to as a fat person.

Tommy_G on August 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Wow. BK is trying to outdo Hardees and Carls Jr.

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I Eat Your Skin (Original title: Zombies) is a 1964 horror film directed by Del Tenney.

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Exit question: Is this a hoax too? I honestly can’t tell anymore.

I can’t speak for Burker King, but the pizza place near my folks have had a cheeburger pizza for years now.

Yes, it is TOO good.

DrAllecon on August 19, 2010 at 4:57 PM

And you thought your kids smelled bad on the outside!

James on August 19, 2010 at 4:58 PM

somewhere some place someone is serving fried chicken skin as food.

rob verdi on August 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM

If you’re hungry for this, there’s a recipe.

Tommy_G on August 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Domino’s used to make a cheeseburger pizza, and I always share one with the fam on Friday nights. Bacon cheeseburger pizza. No pickles, lettuce or maters, just bacon, extra cheese and hamburg. nom nom nom.

Scherzophrenic on August 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I think it’s a pretty good idea, but the skin should be julienned and served like fries instead on a bun. Gotta do something with the skin taken off all those sissyfied skinless chicken cutlets.

forest on August 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

If you want to go green, “natural” condoms are made from animal skin instead of latex. So there’s that.

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

The Burger King thing is for reals, I think. I don’t like chicken skin, but my son would definately eat a skinwich.

di butler on August 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I love the skin. Always eat it. Num num num.

Blake on August 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Must be a slow news day. This story fizzled out in the Headlines after only about 30 comments.

UltimateBob on August 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Now watch the idiots come out and claim that KFC is just covering up for a bad marketing idea…”They were only going to serve it in black communities”…

right2bright on August 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Exit question: Is this a hoax too? I honestly can’t tell anymore.
==============

canopfor on August 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Noooooooooo!!!
/vader

I saw this article yesterday and was looking forward to it coming to a KFC near me!

RedNewEnglander on August 19, 2010 at 5:04 PM

the skin is the best part of fried chicken (but I’m weird, I like dark meat over the white meat)

Doctor Zhivago on August 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Oh … my.

Allahpundit on August 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Richard Simmons: “They were only going to serve dark skin”

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Thanks faraway. I always enjoyed picking and eating the skin off the Thanksgiving turkey when it came out of the oven. Now I can never look at it the same way again.

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I suppose I could make my own skinwich, but the skin I pull off of fried chicken (especially from KFC) doesn’t stay around long enough to make it into a sandwich.

backwoods conservative on August 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Devastating: New KFC “Skinwich” doesn’t actually exist

Yet.

JohnGalt23 on August 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM

D@mn! *turning the car around*

CynicalOptimist on August 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Ugh. The entire idea is revolting. And keep in mind, I am an absolute carnivore.

Maybe it’s the name. Skinwich just has too many overtones of Auschwitz. Sounds like something Mengele would have had for lunch. *shudder*

Ergh. I think I made myself a little ill there…

wearyman on August 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I thought the state fair craze of “fried butter” was a joke when first hearing of it. Fat fried fat.

tru2tx on August 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

One time I ordered chicken strips from Hardees. When I got them to work, I bit into one and realized it was just the fried skin. Trust me. In no way, shape or form was it good. Slimy, fried fat. Gross.

MississippiMom on August 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

With Obama bankrupting the country, Americans can’t afford FDR’s chicken in every pot, so we have to settle for their skins.

Steve Z on August 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Doctor Zhivago on August 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Hey, I’m with you. At least I used to be before

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

That bun ruins it. I use biscuits.

exception on August 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Oh … my.

Allahpundit on August 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Don’t do it. It’s a heart attack waiting to happen.

Stick with normal burgers. ._.

KinleyArdal on August 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Who doesnt like a little skin in between their buns?

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Salt in the Wound
From Weasel Zippers. Make. It. Viral.
=================================================

canopfor on August 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

MississippiMom on August 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

You sound too much like my wife. Nothing can be too fatty for me. Drives her bonkers.

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Who doesnt like a little skin in between their buns?

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Erm…

Yeah… Not gonna go there…

wearyman on August 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I tried the Double Down. I guess it was oversold. It was good, but didn’t wow me.

conservnut on August 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Who doesnt like a little skin in between their buns?

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Just like pushing that envelope, don’tcha? :)

Yeah, we needed a slow news day.

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:20 PM

conservnut on August 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Watched Pat Grey on ‘Glenn Beck Insider Extreme’ eat one of those while Stu commented on it.
He thought it was alright, but I didn’t rush out to get one.

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Pizza burger is real. The photo of the sauce convinced me.

Also, in regards to the skinwich being fake…

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!1

blatantblue on August 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM

pepperjack please

fourdeucer on August 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM

You’re a genius, sir.

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM

This is sort of like the Peking duck. There’re some Chinese restaurants on the west coast that specialize on the dish. Basically, they bring you a roast duck then slice off the skin along with a layer of fat. You take a piece (or two) of the skin, stuff it into a streamed bun, and eat it with a bit of hoisien sauce. Gross, but tasty.

If you want something truly off-putting, try the haggis burger.

year_of_the_dingo on August 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Yeah…I’m the girl who pulls the non-crispy fat off of bacon. And cuts all the fat off of steak. And pulls the skin off of fried chicken, except for skinless strips.

That’s why eating one bite of fried skin/fat was enough for me to lose my appetite. Your wife has wonderful taste.

MississippiMom on August 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Cousin Eddie said it best …..

“Save the neck for me Clark”

bannedbyhuffpo on August 19, 2010 at 5:30 PM

My sister-in-law will be SO disappointed. First thing she asks for off a turkey or chicken is the skin. I told her about this knowing it was a scam, but just wanted to hear her squeal with delight. NOW i get to completely disillusion her. Its for her own good really. she’s too effin gullible. Its an education thing.

44Magnum on August 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Who doesnt like a little skin in between their buns?

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Not me. Not in the Barney Frank sense, anyway.

UltimateBob on August 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Probably invented by a KFC employee. Chicken left over at the end of the day is refrigerated and the next day skinned and cut up for chicken salad. What to do with the skin?

I have always preferred Bojangles. Similar to Popeyes, but a little more bready and less greasy.

slickwillie2001 on August 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Down South here, we eat the skin by itself all the time. It’s delicious! I’m seriously disappointed this isn’t real!

SouthernGent on August 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM

MississippiMom on August 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM

That’s un-American.

Bishop on August 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM

This is sort of like the Peking duck.

year_of_the_dingo on August 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Or Duck Confit. Isn’t that duck skin fried in duck fat or something?

UltimateBob on August 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM

For those of you who didn’t watch the video linked by “canopfor on August 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM”, go back to it.

As a general rule I’m not a big Country Music Fan (I like most of the artists, though), but that was well worth it.

Tanks for posting, canopfor.

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM

As a true daughter of the South, the fried skin of chicken is akin to ambrosia of the gods! Even if it be from KFC, a skinwich sounds eminently edible to me.

It’s that extra cheese and bacon that’s just too much gilding of this particular lily.

marybel on August 19, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Sounds to me like someone’s Angus is showing….

CynicalOptimist on August 19, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Another vote for Pepperjack.

pseudonominus on August 19, 2010 at 5:40 PM

What? No BACON?!?!?!?!?!

ladyingray on August 19, 2010 at 5:40 PM

MississippiMom on August 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM

And I’m the guy who saves all the bacon fat after frying to use on popcorn later.

Really!

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Gingrich hatched a new Ponzi scheme at NRO.

FREE CITIES abroad to solve terrorism, paid for by the US.

The Free Cities concept is simple, inexpensive, and revolutionary. It would shift the focus of foreign aid away from the state and toward the private sector. And it would put America on offense in the global war of ideas.

A Free Cities program would appeal directly to the idealism and generosity of the American people. It could stimulate a profound new American engagement with the poor of the world. Rather than just talking about helping poor people, or pouring more aid dollars down the drain, Free Cities would give millions of Americans a long menu of things they could do personally — either philanthropically or for profit — to help admirable and motivated entrepreneurial people build new free societies in Latin America, Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

Based on the Hong Kong “non-colonial model” AS IF!!!

maverick muse on August 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Is NRO banned at HotAir?

Or is Newt’s FREE CITY hoax on the menu?

maverick muse on August 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM

While we’re on the topic of burgers, why is there such resistance to using pork? At Polish McDonald’s there used to be the WieprzMac–or the McPork. Many of the mom-and-pop hamburger stands also use a mix of ground pork and beef in their patties. I’ve always thought it tasted pretty good, but most other Americans just think it’s blasphemy.

In Asia you can get the pork-chop sandwich. Tasty, but I don’t know why they leave the bone in. They do pork rind sandwiches too, as I recall. Take deep-fried pork skin, reboil it, soak the resultant spongy substance in curry sauce, then put it into a bun.

year_of_the_dingo on August 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM

faraway on August 19, 2010 at 4:57 PM

If we’re bringup up related B movies, then I’ll suggest that the company could have tried test marketing the product in Nilbog were it not for the popularity of vegitarianism in that community…

apostic on August 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Gingrich hatched a new Ponzi investment scheme.

Based on the Hong Kong “non-colonial model” AS IF!!! FREE CITIES abroad, paid for by the US, will solve terrorism.

From NRO: “Free Cities would give millions of Americans a long menu of things they could do personally — either philanthropically or for profit — to help admirable and motivated entrepreneurial people build new free societies in Latin America, Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. It could stimulate a profound new American engagement with the poor of the world.”

It’s Newt’s sophistry that I ridicule, as if we don’t know how he helps himself to PORK PORK while chopping off the newly elected conservatives running on his Contract On America (with).

maverick muse on August 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM

What? No BACON?!?!?!?!?!

ladyingray on August 19, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Ahhh perfection is near

CWforFreedom on August 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM

The MN State Fair is coming. I’m wondering if someone could put this on a stick.

pjean on August 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

You would love this Polish specialty: smalec. It’s lard with deep-fried bacon bits.

year_of_the_dingo on August 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Chicken skin is seriously tasty. Only the home roasted stuff though. KFC tastes nasty.

pjean on August 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM

You are making me homesick, pjean. ;)

BakerAllie on August 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM

somewhere some place someone is serving fried chicken skin as food.

rob verdi on August 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Sate in Indonesia is about half skin pieces, unless you order without.

Memorize this phrase: “Minta tanpa kulit.”

Now I’m all hungry. Pass the peanut sauce, please.

TexasDan on August 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM

…the taste of KFC’s Original Recipe…

Apparently the stuff is really addictive.

Tzetzes on August 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM

The Burger King New York Pizza Burger is indeed real.

ynot4tony2 on August 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM

With Obama in the White House anything is still possible.

tjexcite on August 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

We all know the answer, don’t we?

Damn right. I’m pi$$ed it isn’t real. Couldn’t wait to wrap my fingers around that monster!

Never heard of pork rinds?

BBQ ones are best.

Ever had cracklins?

BacaDog on August 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM

South Park Did It !!!
South Park Did It !!!

Or, sort of.

Cartman: ignored by the boys after he eats all the chicken skins in a bucket of KFC making him think he’s dead?

BowHuntingTexas on August 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Or Duck Confit. Isn’t that duck skin fried in duck fat or something?

UltimateBob on August 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Duck confit is just a leg of duck cooked in its own fat, I thought.

The Peking duck is a whole duck and you eat only the skin as the main dish. At a fancier place, they bring you the roasted duck, slice off the skin before your eyes, then take the skeleton with the meat on it to make a soup. Sounds gross, but duck or goose meat really doesn’t taste all that good. It’s the grease that makes it appetizing.

Same with chicken. I can’t imagine myself downing a boiled skinless chicken leg. Now that’s truly gross.

year_of_the_dingo on August 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

De gustibus non est disputandum!

Dhuka on August 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

This, my friends, is Allah at his snarky best.

rickyricardo on August 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Steve Z on August 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

It’s all in the game…

jerrytbg on August 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

All of you need to buck up on Jewish cuisine.

Oh … my.

Allahpundit on August 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

One word: Gribenes

A favorite right before passover and other major holidays. They key is moderation. Eat too much and its not guilt you are feeling, its your heart dying.

EconomicPirate on August 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I love duck meat! Duck with dumplings and gravy and sauerkraut. Yum yum! And beer!!

Blake on August 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

EconomicPirate on August 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Beat me. I was just trying to find a link for that.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

year_of_the_dingo on August 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Just came in from exercise (walk), or I would have responded sooner.

I’m not familiar with smalec, but your description makes it sound like a “Homer Simpson Special” to me.

In other words, my kind of dish.

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

The Burger King New York Pizza Burger is indeed real.

ynot4tony2 on August 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Just copied & pasted this from the linked menu.

NY PIZZA BURGER
Four WHOPPER® patties, slices of
pepperoni and mozzarella cheese
with marinara and Tuscan sauce
on a sesame seed bun.

Can’t wait to see where this rates on the “most dangerous fast foods” list. Some health concious organization publishes an updated annual list that usually gets ink in the Readers Digest.

Up ’till now, the top honors (or dishonors) have gone to Carls Jr and Hardees. But this thing looks like a serious contender.

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Long time reader; rare poster, but I had put in my two cents… Extra crispy skin, with a scoop of the Colonel’s cole slaw topped with a healthy dash of Crystal hot sauce!

That’s a sammitch I’d pay 5 bucks for!

polocruz on August 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

In other words, my kind of dish.

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Try it if you can find a Polish deli near by. I call it “heart attack in a jar,” but it could actually be better for you, as you tend to use less of it. It’s easy to over-butter your bread with butter or margarine. The stronger smell and taste means that you won’t do that with smalec.

year_of_the_dingo on August 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM

EconomicPirate on August 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM
Beat me. I was just trying to find a link for that.
Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Trying to find the spelling to an obscure word you have never seen in English takes quite a while.

EconomicPirate on August 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Yeah, I think if one reads the city names backwards the evidence of hoax becomes eminently clear!
My first reaction on reading about “the skinwich” was “What’s next? Fried garbage?”

ExpressoBold on August 19, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Gribbenes, fried chicken skin is a Jewish delicacy. It probably originated when bits of skin fried when rendering schmaltz (chicken fat). They’re delicious. Some like them crispy but I prefer them chewy.

You haven’t really had mashed potatoes till you’ve had them with a little schmaltz and bits of gribbeness.

rokemronnie on August 19, 2010 at 7:38 PM

listens2glenn on August 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

SouthernGent on August 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Here down da bayou, we fry a turkey every Thanksgiving…and we FIGHT over the skin..we refer to it as ‘turkey craklin’, which a regular cracklin in pork skin with a little meat fried to perfection…mmmmmmmmmmmmm, mmmmmmm!

lsutiger on August 19, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Allah, posts like this make me puke. Then again, a sandwich like that would make me fart.

radjah shelduck on August 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM

THIS JUST IN:

Eric Cartman goes crazy amidst news of online internet hoax regarding KFC “Skinwich” – Blames Jews, Kills half of SouthPark population.

Film at 11:00…

nationspatriotcom on August 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Put a PIG’S EAR canine treat on a bun… with some special sauce… and somebody would bite.

(My dgs love ‘em, even minus the bun.)

But chicken skinwiches would have to come in two styles…. crispy (my favorite) or chewy… (for those who like to fight with their food).

Add some melted cheese, lettuce and tomato snd you’ve got a CLT.

profitsbeard on August 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM

Steve Z on August 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I think it was actually in 1928 that Hoover promised a chicken in every pot. during that time in Florida, Gopher Tortoises became known as “Hoover Chickens” cause it was the only meat in the pot.
I to thought of Cartman eating all the skin off the KFC. I don’t blame Kenny for cryin’ one bit.

Looks good. Why not make a sandwich?

Army Brat on August 20, 2010 at 4:22 AM

At his downtown Los Angeles restaurant The Gorbals, Chef Ilan Hall serves a GLT sandwich that uses chicken skin (“gribenes”) instead of bacon. His recipe is on Squid Ink | LA Weekly.

Army Brat on August 20, 2010 at 4:24 AM

One of the funniest fake commercials in the early days of SNL was for a triple edged razor. The spot ended with “because you’ll buy anything”.

They’re up to 5 blades now, I think.

Jaynie59 on August 20, 2010 at 6:57 AM

When Gillette (?) came out with the first triple blade, I contacted them and made reference to that commercial. I told them, “sorry, I won’t believe anything…”
The wrote back praising SNL and how great their fake commercials were etc. and then tried to convince me that there really was an advantage to the 3 blades.
Oblivious, and so apparently is the public.

Army Brat on August 20, 2010 at 7:31 AM

It would be a good way to get rid of the skin from their grilled chicken. Waste not, want not.

John Deaux on August 20, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Having too much time on their hands, or actually working for KFC, airlines, or major Convention planner, trying to find one more way to make chicken palatable.

MSGTAS on August 20, 2010 at 9:24 AM

bladerunner:on “skinjob” bladerunner:off

grapeknutz on August 20, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Lave it to you, Allah, to use Thinkgeek.com as an example.

Although I’m in love with the $120 green laser pointer. It’s a class 3B. DUDE!

Rightwingguy on August 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM