World Net Daily drops Ann Coulter as speaker for appearing at “HomoCon”

posted at 8:14 pm on August 18, 2010 by Allahpundit

This would have been a fun litmus test on where grassroots righties stand on gay issues if it had involved any other conservative publication. As it is, judging from some of the comments in this morning’s Headlines thread, WND’s relentless Birtherism has made it an easy call. Coulter 1, WND 0:

“Ultimately, as a matter of principle, it would not make sense for us to have Ann speak to a conference about ‘taking America back’ when she clearly does not recognize that the ideals to be espoused there simply do not include the radical and very ‘unconservative’ agenda represented by GOProud,” WND editor and CEO Joseph Farah said. “The drift of the conservative movement to a brand of materialistic libertarianism is one of the main reasons we planned this conference from the beginning.”

Coulter, who is and will remain a WND columnist, said she was hired to deliver a speech at Homocon but that does not mean she endorses GOProud’s views.

“They hired me to give a speech, so I’m giving a speech. I do it all the time,” she said. “I speak to a lot of groups and do not endorse them. I speak at Harvard and I certainly don’t endorse their views. I’ve spoken to Democratic groups and liberal Republican groups that loooove abortion. The main thing I do is speak on college campuses, which is about the equivalent of speaking at an al-Qaida conference. I’m sure I agree with GOProud more than I do with at least half of my college audiences. But in any event, giving a speech is not an endorsement of every position held by the people I’m speaking to.”

Coulter added that she was set to speak for WND, but she thinks the organization is “nuts on the birther thing.”

That was round one. Round two came this afternoon when Coulter unloaded on WND in a righteously angry e-mail to the Daily Caller.

farah is doing this for PUBLICITY and publicity alone;…

I will say that he could give less than two sh-ts about the conservative movement — as demonstrated by his promotion of the birther nonsense (long ago disproved by my newspaper, human events, also sweetness & light, american spectator and national review etc, etc etc). He’s the only allegedly serious conservative pushing the birther thing. for ONE reason: to get hits on his website…

also, FYI; my fellow evangelicals — and I know lots and lots of ‘em — – all think it’s great that I’m doing this. (of course, they know I’m not changing my mind on gay marriage even though I like gays.) this is total b.s. for PUBLICITY by a publicity whore. Attack ann coulter, get publicity. liberals figured that out a long time ago, so he’s a little late to the party.

She also claims that they never actually hired her, in which case they’re not dropping her from anything. Naturally, rather than celebrate capital-P Progress in a prominent conservative choosing to speak at a gay event, some lefties are dumping on her anyway for being a sellout who’ll “go anywhere and do anything at all, if the price is right!” Why, she’s almost like a prostitute, speaking to those darned gays. Exit question: Does anyone seriously have a problem with her doing this, even after her I-still-oppose-gay-marriage caveat? Good enough for Dick Cheney, good enough for me!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sounds good. See ya.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 12:12 AM

If I say so myself, they were good.

latah.

tigerlily on August 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Gotta stand on principle. And on this, more orgs need to get on board. That this happened with CPAC is a shame, as it only lends greater legitimacy to the PC culture which will make GLBT identity such a destructive force in many of the nation’s major institutions.

Were we a nation that actually respected the merits of small gov’t, I wouldn’t be so concerned. As it is, if GOProud becomes a new rallying cry for “conservatives,” then a conservative I won’t be.

Alexander on August 19, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Okay, I’ll offer a mea culpa here. Further scrutiny of the article leads me to think that perhaps WND’s action should have been preceded by some sort of conversation with Coulter.

I can see there’s pragmatic value, and then straight selling out to an agenda whose only accomplishment with conservatives is to divide us.

I recall Ravi Zacharias, an evangelical minister speaking at the Mormon temple some time, back, and this was quite a historic event. But he did so while making clear he did not subscribe to specific views that his audience held.

Alexander on August 19, 2010 at 12:51 AM

WND has just barely been on my bookmark list for the last 5 years, something like this makes me want to delete them. Which in the the world of web is a death penalty! They are too full of themselves and too caught up in nonsense. Not to mention every 3rd line on their page is a lame advertisement.

HotAirExpert on August 19, 2010 at 12:54 AM

The problem with a group like GOProud is what it is based on.

There are lots of homosexual conservatives whose private life is in fact private. They don’t feel the need to join a political action group based on their sexual practices any more than I feel the need to join the ‘Conservative Gentlemen Who Prefer Blondes’ PAC.

It is identity politics and those who engage in it tend to drift to the political left as they are the ones who play that card better than conservatives ever will.

What relevance does their homosexuality have to their conservatism? They want to alter conservative principles so they are more in tune with their agenda. Not sure I would call them a friend any more than I would Kathleen Parker.

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Stopped going to the WND months ago. The site is full of birthers. If it was determined tomorrow that Obama was not born in the US, it would not matter- the damage has already been done by him. Ann Coulter is the greatest.

flintstone on August 19, 2010 at 1:35 AM

What relevance does their homosexuality have to their conservatism?

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 1:02 AM

If there were a ‘Conservative Gentlemen Who Prefer Blondes and the Blondes Who Love Them’ PAC, I think you would consider it. Likewise, the GOProud probably assemble partly in hopes they’ll bring home a rightwing houseboy.

Kralizec on August 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Kralizec on August 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Yeah, I might at that. Especially that last part!

sharrukin on August 19, 2010 at 1:44 AM

If a host organization knows a potential speaker disagrees with them, and is certain that the speaker is a convincing opponent, the host will not have them speak. That tells me Ann is either a sellout or ineffective.

leftnomore on August 19, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Funny how Ann stands up for the Jews need to be converted part of the Bible, but not the homosexual behavior is evil part. I guess her fornication with Bill Maher lessened her standards.

PrezHussein on August 19, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Maybe she read the parts about all sins being equal, and none of us being free of sin . . .
`
`
Farah is a nutcase who has always been about himself, not the conservative values he often espouses to gain credibility for his conspiracy theories.

Adjoran on August 19, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Not even a close call. Coulter’s got my full support. Farah not so much, and now even less.

DaMav on August 19, 2010 at 5:34 AM

I support Farah 100% on this, as I supported Ryan Sorba, when he spoke at CPAC. Shame on the great Ann Coulter!

Ryan Sorba Condemns CPAC For Inviting GOProud And Declares YAL’s Jeff Frazee His Enemy

sinsing on August 19, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Ann Coulter is a great American and conservative voice for liberty, and tolerance for all including homosexuals, even as she opposes some causes espoused by some gay groups.
Randy

williars on August 19, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Who do the liberals hate the most? Ann Coulter or World Nut Daily? No contest, it’s Ann Coulter and for good reason as she is the more credible.

rhombus on August 19, 2010 at 6:57 AM

I don’t, and I’m an evangelical. (Reformed Charismatic, even!) I’m not particularly a Coulter fan; bombthrowers annoy me. While I don’t support a lot of the issues that GOProud does, if they’re willing to vote against Democrats, that’ll do for now.

I stopped reading WND years ago; Farah’s crank theories were tiresome long before he embraced birtherism. After 2012 when birtherism is a moot point because we’ll have a different President, it’ll be something else.

Laura Curtis on August 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Did I miss something? When did ALL gays support gay marriage? Somebody needs to tell Elton John he needs to get on board with apparently every other gay person in the world if we were to believe AP’s thinking.

Hurricanes on August 19, 2010 at 9:25 AM

*Yawn* WND stopped being relevant a long time ago.

keepinitreal on August 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Ann accusing anyone of being an attention whore is pretty funny in itself.

echosyst on August 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Let’s face it, actions from all parties involved have been for publicity. From the beginning.

Let’s be honest, Goproud wants RINOs elected. You can thank them for the death of Blue Dog Dems too.

HLBT bundling brought us Kevin Jennings. Nothing to be proud of. Identity politics failed Derrion Albert and Phoebe Prince into an early grave.

For such a small percentage of the population, HLBTs sure get the one-party media coverage. Just as you freely admit Palin gossip drives traffic so too does social engineering. Quite frankly, I wish you would quit poking me for traffic; it smacks of elitism. Focus.

I don’t seek more people under a tent. I’m not an isolationist. I yearn for more nations at the campground of free markets and individual liberty. Missile defense shield be thy tent.

FeFe on August 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I am flummoxed at what I see from certain factions as an inability to see gay conservatives as people seeking liberty and a decrease in interference in their lives and their own desire to attempt to control us via their own almost fascistic desires smacking of Nancy Pelosi.

I don’t think that asking to be left alone (yes there are loud progressives who scream and shout for almost communist aims) but many of us do not and our goals are the same as many here…increased economic freedom, personal liberty and the pursuit of personal happiness.

Other than that, frankly I don’t care what you think, nor should you care about mine.

JP1986UM on August 19, 2010 at 3:44 PM