“We Remember”: 9/11 families oppose Ground Zero mosque

posted at 7:36 pm on August 18, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Bill Kristol’s and Liz Cheney’s outfit Keep America Safe, a few more people for Pelosi to investigate. I’m really, really not looking forward to an ad war over the mosque: This one is about as restrained as you can get, restricting itself to in-their-own-words statements from the victims’ families and even featuring an acknowledgment that the property owners have the right to build if they want. But (a) the pro-mosque side can and will respond with the same sort of ad (there are mosque supporters among the victims’ families, including Ted Olson) and (b) the natural progression in any ad war is to get nastier and more demagogic as it goes along. If the online “debate” over the mosque is any indication, soon we’ll have anti-mosque 527 ads showing Bin Laden doing a victory jig in the pit at Ground Zero and pro-mosque 527 ads showing mosque opponents in Klan hoods and sheets. Don’t forget to include Harry Reid and Howard Dean!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Terrie on August 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM

You got a point??? Yes, I knew he was in NY at the time. No, that doesn’t make him special. As I said, he and others will get no sympathy the next time NY is hit.

Blake on August 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Do you know Allahpundit’s very personal, life-changing experience on 9/11? You can read all about it here.

Terrie on August 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Wow!
He mentioned the Sears-now Willis-Tower. My husband works 2 blocks west of Sears Tower-about a block north of Chicago’s Union Station.
If either of those buildings were ever attacked….
I try not to think about it.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Don’t ever use that word to describe what happened that day. Tragedies are Acts of God, like Katrina, or the Tsunami, or something like that. What happened was not, emphatically not a tragedy. It was an atrocity. Every time the word “tragedy” is used, it burns me up. This wasn’t some mysterious bolt of lightning that killed those people. It was a planned act of mass murder. Never use the word tragedy to describe the events of that day.

Using the word “tragedy” is the literary equivalent of hiding the pictures of 9/11.

john bono on August 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Hallelujah! I hear cruel heartless murders being described as tragedies all the time and it makes my blood boil.

Blake on August 18, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Blake on August 18, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Agreed.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Blake on August 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Here’s my point. You questioned AP’s honor and accused him of exploiting the Ground Zero Mosque issue to increase Hot Air’s hits — just because you disagree with the way he presented this video?

Look, I am adamantly opposed to the GZM, but reasonable people can disagree. At least give AP credit for having an experience and perspective that we don’t have.

Terrie on August 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM

And don’t forget the inevitable Taiwanese animation!

irishspy on August 18, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Look at what we’ve done for Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement…These people lost their lives, three thousand at one time, the community and national pain, unimaginable…a radical Imams Mosque at ground zero? Supported by faux Constitutionalizing liberals?

How far beyond irresponsible and above caring, or abuse of fairness, do we allow the left to go before extreme outrage takes over?

Speakup on August 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM

My question to you was rhetorical. And no, I did not question AP’s honor. I stated outright taking positions in order to drive hits for money is dishonorable.

Terrie on August 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM

One, when did this become about you? Two, no. Three, please don’t try to sell this crap that he or anyone else is “special” because they happened to be in the vicinity that day, therefore, any asinine thing they say and do is acceptable.

Blake on August 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I think this ad is stunning but I still wouldn’t do any more until the Victory Mosque chances are more secure. I like that the opposition is coming from the people and not a bunch of politicians. When even the liberal Mr. Beinart realizes that Ground Zero is still the tie that binds, I am hoping the public will be the ones who change the hearts of the developers of this purposed mistake.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Do you say this crap just to piss people off, AP? Because frankly I think you do it just for the hits. Which means you have no honor. And this is why the next time NYC gets hit, and you will get hit, the rest of the country is going to tell you to kiss our middle America, terrorist hating asses.

Blake on August 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Blake on August 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I’ll let you argue with yourself.

Terrie on August 18, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Where’s the argument? I agree 100%. LOL

Blake on August 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM

“Never forget.”

It is more than a slogan on a bumper sticker.

At least It is to me.

LASue on August 19, 2010 at 12:07 AM

One of the goals of this center/mosque — maybe even the main one — is to better the relationship between muslims and american.

Tom_Shipley on August 18, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Well, they’re just doing a bang-up job of improving relations, aren’t they?

If they were really trying to improve relations, they wouldn’t be wanting to put up a mosque right next to where others of their own faith tried to kill hundreds of thousands of people.

You may say, “These were not people of their own faith. They were radicals.” But that’s exactly why they shouldn’t be trying to build a mosque there: to make it clear that peaceful Muslims want nothing to do with the radical Muslims that want to kill us.

If they wanted to improve relations, they would put up some sort of a memorial to the innocent victims of 9/11 that was not a mosque. It’s not really hard. Put up a nice plaque, maybe a small chapel with a cross, a Star of David, and a crescent. Even a “Coexist” bumper sticker would be a gesture of good will.

Instead, it looks like they want to build an Islamic mosque and community center right on the site of an atrocity committed by Muslims. A gesture of goodwill? How gullible are you?

There Goes The Neighborhood on August 19, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Speakup on August 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM

One of the things that annoys me to no end is that I know if somebody wanted to build a Klu Klux Klan outreach center on the site where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was shot, the left would be apoplectic. They would decry the insensitiveness and the offensiveness of it all. They would say that it was an act of hate and a monument of the crime.

Yet, we have the same thing happening here where 3,000 people died instead of one person, and where the time which has passed since the event is much less than the time which has passed since MLK was murdered. However, the left is mostly for it. Why?

Why is it o.k. for certain small groups to be offended and everybody else must bend their will to the offended party, but when something like this which is so offensive to so many Americans, it must be allowed to occur? Why are the liberals allowed to pull the “it’s offensive” card (and for many things which are so much less offensive), but when mainstream America (70%!) is truly offended, we are told by our ‘betters’ that we must simply grin and bear it?

I loathe double standards.

Theophile on August 19, 2010 at 6:00 AM

And, just for the record, I am not supporting the building of such a KKK site (or the KKK at all for that matter). It is merely an analogy. It was the closest one that I could think of which could occur here in the U.S.A..

Theophile on August 19, 2010 at 6:03 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM

They won’t touch the Willis Tower. That’s Barry’s home town, er…sort of.

Mr. Grump on August 19, 2010 at 6:57 AM

Tom_Shipley on August 18, 2010 at 8:28 PM

How is it that you love to come to HotAir to insult and accuse commenters of bad faith but you are willing to give the developers of the Victory Mosque a complete pass on motive. Why are you more interested in giving them the benefit of the doubt? All of the sudden you are a big fan of better relations and building bridges. Interesting.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Tom_Shipley on August 18, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Check out what this fellow has to say about it:

ebrown2 on August 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM

ebrown2 on August 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Good article, unfortunately he has stepped in it already and I don’t think his pride will let him back down.

Cindy Munford on August 19, 2010 at 8:48 AM