To save Obama, Left cries out for … George W. Bush?

posted at 12:55 pm on August 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

How badly did Barack Obama fumble the mosque controversy last weekend?  No fewer than three media columnists now want Obama rescued by George W. Bush.  Byron York reports on the desperate pleas:

“It’s time for W. to weigh in,” writes the New York Times’ Maureen Dowd. Bush, Dowd explains, understands that “you can’t have an effective war against the terrorists if it is a war on Islam.” Dowd finds it “odd” that Obama seems less sure on that matter. But to set things back on the right course, she says, “W. needs to get his bullhorn back out” — a reference to Bush’s famous “the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!” speech at Ground Zero on September 14, 2001.

Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson is also looking for an assist from Bush. “I…would love to hear from former President Bush on this issue,” Robinson wrote Tuesday in a Post chat session. “He held Ramadan iftar dinners in the White House as part of a much broader effort to show that our fight against the al-Qaeda murderers who attacked us on 9/11 was not a crusade against Islam. He was absolutely right on this point, and it would be helpful to hear his views.”

And Peter Beinart, a former editor of the New Republic, is also feeling some nostalgia for the former president. “Words I never thought I’d write: I pine for George W. Bush,” Beinart wrote Tuesday in The Daily Beast. “Whatever his flaws, the man respected religion, all religion.” Beinart longs for the days when Bush “used to say that the ‘war on terror’ was a struggle on behalf of Muslims, decent folks who wanted nothing more than to live free like you and me…”

For the moment, with Obama failing to live up to expectations, Bush-bashing is over.

That, of course, is one of the delicious ironies of this situation.  Obama has done nothing but attack and demonize Bush for the last nineteen months, mainly to distract attention from Obama’s own failures on the economy.  In fact, while Dowd et al demand a response from Bush, Obama is busy on the campaign trail (an activity that Obama chided the GOP for doing while Obama attended big fundraisers) attempting to continue blaming Bush for the economic slide Obama promised to prevent with his massive spending.

It’s not the only irony, though.  If Bush was inclined to comment on the situation, he may very well echo Obama, or at least talk about the compatibility of liberty and moderate Islam.  After all, the entire exercise in Iraq was and is predicated on the notion that Islam and democracy are not incompatible, a point that some enraged by the Ground Zero mosque seem to have forgotten.  A democratic, stable Iraq would serve to light a beacon towards an Islamic Enlightenment, the neocon theory instructs, that would pressure the theocracies and kleptocracies in the region to modernize and liberalize (in the classic sense of the word).  If a mosque in New York City is incompatible with freedom, as a small subset of those opposed to the GZM claim, then the entire exercise in Iraq makes no sense at all.

That’s not to say that the large majority of the opposition to the GZM is about a mosque, any mosque, rather than location; clearly, most of the opposition recognizes that government has no right to block construction of a house of worship only on the basis of the religion involved.  But Bush would be smart enough to stay out of the location argument and to be careful not to leave an impression that he was endorsing a mosque in the debris field of 9/11, too — which is where Obama went wrong this weekend.

The final irony is that this White House is at least somewhat responsible for not getting Bush to comment.  Obama’s political arm went hard after Dick Cheney when the former VP publicly criticized Obama’s foreign policy and national security decisions.  If Obama’s allies turn their puffy eyes towards W for a rescue, they have no one to blame but the White House when he fails to ride to their defense.

Update: I left an important clause out of the penultimate paragraph, which is that government can’t block construction of a house of worship only on the basis of the religion involved.  I’ve added it, but wanted to note the update.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Only Nixon can go to China.

Tom_Shipley on August 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM

They must think we’re like a bunch of Obama-drones. Personally, I couldn’t possibly care less about what Bush thinks about it.

FloatingRock on August 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM

That would be classic, Obama invites Bush to provide some gravitas.

rob verdi on August 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Stabbing straw men repeatedly takes a lot of energy and gets you nowhere. They need the real thing.

Patton ended with “The absence of war will kill him.”

For Democrats, the absence of W will kill their chances.

Greek Fire on August 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM

George (I abandoned the free market in order to save it) Bush

FloatingRock on August 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM

To save Obama, Left cries out for … George W. Bush?

Simple explanation: Leftists are insane.

GrannyDee on August 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Only problem is…Bush has turned into such a p-ssy he’d probably do it.

LtE126 on August 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM

It must kill these idiots to have to reach out to Booosh.

search4truth on August 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Why aren’t they calling for Carter or Clinton to bail them out?

theCork on August 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

“It’s time for W. to weigh in,” writes the New York Times’ Maureen Dowd.

Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson is also looking for an assist from Bush. “I…would love to hear from former President Bush on this issue,” Robinson wrote Tuesday in a Post chat session.

It’s a trap! – Admiral Ackbar

Phil-351 on August 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Halp me George Buuuuushsh, I’ve put me self and my Party in the Briar patch,
please come get me out you economy wreckin, big spendin, eavesdroopin, torturer you! HALP ME! mememememememememe!

dhunter on August 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

The only comment I want to hear from W about this is: “How my *** taste now, Dems?”, but he’s too classy to say it. I’m not.

These people are going to have to reap what they sow eventually, and I for one am enjoying the fact that it is finally happening (on this Earth) right before mid-terms.

The November Reckoning has already begun.

jamie gumm on August 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Obama to Bush: Please help me with Mosque.

Obama to media (the next day): Look W likes the Mosque. Oh, btw the economic problems are all his fault.

Oil Can on August 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM

That would be classic, Obama invites Bush to provide some gravitas.

rob verdi on August 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM

The ruling class joining forces against the country class.

FloatingRock on August 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM

If the second coming of Hitler supports the mosque, doesn’t that make it bad?

Can’t have it both ways, lefties.

BadgerHawk on August 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM

You’ve got the cart before the horse here. If Islam takes on the responsibility to reform in ways that respect all other religions and stops requiring Muslims to kill infidels whenever they can, then they can integrate with us. Otherwise there’s no middle ground. They want all of us dead. Should we meet in the middle..and allow them kill half of us? Thats a poor give and take, I think.

Building a mosque that represents the current Islamic teachings is offensive to most Americans. Building a mosque that represents a “kinder, gentler” Islam wouldn’t be news at all.

BobMbx on August 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Wait a minute! They want the opinion of Gearge “he’s so stupid we should never to listen to him, only hicks in the middle of nowhere like him” W. Bush????

*runs outside*

I think I just saw a pig fly!!!!

Cookies Mom on August 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM

It would be funny to hear Bush tell Obama: “I’m gonna go nucular on your @ss!”

search4truth on August 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM

W should offer his opinion only after Obama, Pelosi, and Reid admit publicly that the state of the economy is 100% because of their actions.

Oh, and make Obama stop using that stupid ditch analogy. Sure the Dems are tasked with getting us out of the ditch, but so far all they’re doing is spinning their tires burning up gas borrowed from our kids.

John Deaux on August 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

The best thing President Bush can do is to allow the absolutely worthless, corrupt and incompetent Dhimmicrats twist in the wind so that they lose both Houses of Congress so that Barry will be emasculated prior to throwing his worthless ass out in 2012.

Simply ignoring Democrat pleas will still show far more grace and class than Democrats ever showed him.

NoDonkey on August 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Everybody,

I am sorry to bug you all like this, but Mr. PPF’s grandmother, Lucille Cole, is in serious condition, hospitalized in OH. Stroke happened at 5 AM. To make it worse, she has a blood clot to the lung, and it does not look good. I am heading to the hospital soon.

Mr. PPF is so dedicated to his job at the heart OR, he was aware of it all and he was gonna work like that. I said that’s ridiculous–so I paged his boss to let him go. Can’t work with a patient on the table while knowing his grandma might not make it.

Mrs. Lucille Cole (Grandma Cole) has helped hundreds with international adoption, and is as clear as day. Here’s the website where you can see her: http://eaci.com.

Please send thoughts and prayers my direction; I got my kids here. Irony is, we were gonna go to her house this Saturday for the int’l adoption’s annual picnic.

Thanks in advance; in case I disappear for a while, it’s because of this.

ProudPalinFan on August 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM

This is very clear: lefties just want President Bush to comment so they can dwell on it for a week or so, taking the spotlight is off of their dear leader and his flip flop on the subject.

I just heard on the radio a reporter asked 0bama about it again. I couldn’t hear his muffled response. Anyone else hear it?

Brat on August 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I feel compelled to caution the democrats to not peak too soon. They’ll need to ramp it up continuously over then next 2 1/2 months.

Skandia Recluse on August 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Perhaps Dowd, Robinson and Beinart should be reminded how much they DETESTED Bush. What makes his opinion suddenly valuable? Other than their Obamassiah sticking his foot in his mouth?

GarandFan on August 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

It’s a trap! – Admiral Ackbar

Phil-351 on August 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

You said it.

Cylor on August 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

What?! Jabbering from former presidents Jimmy & Billy isn’t good enough?

BHO Jonestown on August 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

FloatingRock on August 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM

+ 1

angryed on August 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM

This really tells those who don’t understand how truly deranged and shameless the left is. They dumped on Bush every day for years, and now they want daddy to help them out.

“Irony?” I’d call it chuptzah verging on insanity.

Cody1991 on August 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Stinks of a new Journolist.

bloghooligan on August 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM

…clearly, most of the opposition recognizes that government has no right to block construction of a house of worship.

Like hell they don’t, Ed! You wanna ask the membership of that Greek Orthodox church that’s been trying to rebuild in the wake of Ground Zero for two years?!

Unbelievable…I love ya dearly Ed, but you’re wrong on this one.

gryphon202 on August 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Wait – you mean the one you called a Nazi fascist war criminal child killer? The one you called Shrub and Dumbya and Chimpy McHalliburton? The one you burned in effigy? The one whom you depicted decapitated at your protests? The one you fantasized about assassinating in movies and books you thought were totally awesome? The one you blamed for every evil in the world on between 2000 and 2008?

And now you want his help becuase the guy you told everyone was 100 million times better and smarter and cooler is, well, a total and demonstrable failure and a bad joke that’s coming to its predictable end?

Lucky you!

Good Lt on August 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM

…especially when he knows it’d just be spun as, “See? Even a psychopathic Muslim-killing civil-liberty-hating Hitlerian figure like Bush thinks you’ve gone too far!” Besides, the public’s view is not really much of a problem, at least not enough of one to justify suspending his self-imposed divorce from all things political.

calbear on August 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM

lol… these lefties are nuts

deedtrader on August 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM

“It’s time for W. to weigh in,” writes the New York Times’ Maureen Dowd. Bush, Dowd explains, understands that “you can’t have an effective war against the terrorists if it is a war on Islam.” Dowd finds it “odd” that Obama seems less sure on that matter. But to set things back on the right course, she says, “W. needs to get his bullhorn back out” — a reference to Bush’s famous “the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!” speech at Ground Zero on September 14, 2001.

..wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills up first, you skanky old broad.

The War Planner on August 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Out: bullhorn
In: bullcrap

faraway on August 18, 2010 at 12:33 PM

pseudonominus on August 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I’ve heard no GZM opposers at all, not even a small subset, claiming that a mosque in NYC is incompatible with freedom. Have you? What is the basis for your claim? This is the brush the left is trying to paint anti-GZM folks with and you’re accepting it? That’s NUTS!

I have only ever heard opposition based on location. It is an inappropriate kick in the gut to the American people. That is broadly recognized by somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% of Americans.

As for GWB, why should he comment. He’s a private citizen and we’re not entitled to his views anymore. The Obama people who have spent years kicking dirt in his face should have no expectation whatsoever of a bailout from GWB on this or any other issue.

dczombie on August 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM

For a President who based his entire campaign on opposition to the war in Iraq, it’s the height of irony that Obama would appeal to former President Bush, whose first term was centered around the response to the 9/11 attacks to bail him out of his botched response to the mosque project. Remember “Judgment to Lead”, supposedly based on Obama’s “wisdom” about Iraq? Time to exercise it, Mr. President!

Bush to Obama (if he’s smart): You wanted my job, you’ve got it. This is your baby now–deal with it.

Steve Z on August 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM

If I were Bush I’d tell the Left that I can’t stand with them because it would be a violation of my oath against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

FloatingRock on August 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM

..If I were Bush, I’d just not say a word and watch them continue to swirl the drain. You Bush haters made the bed for 8 years – now you get to sleep in it.

Lucky you!

Good Lt on August 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM

..cease the thread right here! We have a winner!

You’re my hero, Lieutenant!

The War Planner on August 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Hey George! Every time they ask you to help out, just keep revving the chain saw and tell them you have better things to do. We miss you!

AubieJon on August 18, 2010 at 1:09 PM

The truth hurts….

Islam an the West are incompatible.

pseudonominus on August 18, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Why aren’t they calling for Carter or Clinton to bail them out?

theCork on August 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Could you imagine the fine job Carter would do?

heshtesh on August 18, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Laura: Sorry, Dems. George can’t come to the phone right now. He’s too busy rolling on the floor…laughing!

kingsjester on August 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Instead of GZM, use Rush’s name: “Hamas-que”

The Monster on August 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM

The final act of DESPERATION!!

Lovin’ it!!

DuctTapeMyBrain on August 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Yes, Dubya, go and bail out the same people who equated you with Hitler, Pol Pot, and chimpanzees for eight years.

Bishop on August 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Extreme Progressive soliciting aid from a moderate Progressive.

Everything they’ve ever said about G.W.Bush be damned; nothing gets in the way of advancing the cause of Progressivism. NOTHING!

Changing subject: why is the ‘Preview’ function only working for me about half the time? Inquiring minds want to know.

listens2glenn on August 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I literally guffawed when I read this.

Vashta.Nerada on August 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Desperation, my lefty pundit friends, is indeed a stinky cologne.

JohnGalt23 on August 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM

If bush does this he will forever cement his standing as the most liberal GOP president we have ever had.

unseen on August 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Why does Eugene Robinson need anybody more than self described Conservative Republican former congressman Scarborough usually sitting right next to him screaming “The Republicans are so stupid on this! And I say this as a Conservative Republican!”. Not plausible, Eugene?

Marcus on August 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Why aren’t they calling for Carter or Clinton to bail them out?

theCork on August 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Could you imagine the fine job Carter would do?

heshtesh on August 18, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Interesting that neither BJ Clinton nor Jimmuh Malaise have said ANYTHING about the mosque, one way or the other. They know political quicksand when they see it, and wisely decided to stay out. So should Dubya.

Steve Z on August 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Rush wants to know if it is okay for Dubai to run the ports now?

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM

You know why they want Bush 43 to chime in ……?

……because I’ll be stunned if Bush doesn’t ENDORSE THE MOSQUE!!!!

PappyD61 on August 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Just holding my breath that W doesn’t in fact decide to speak out. Another one of his patented ‘ROP’ comments would be most untimely.

james23 on August 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM

For anyone that wasn’t already aware, there are currently two Islamic Centers within 2 miles of Ground Zero already.

BadgerHawk on August 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM

does anyone think that bush would have a problem doing as asked here? bush and his liberal views on islam is why the mosque is even being considered in the first place. If not for Bush and his misplaced views on liberalism, islam and conservatism we would not be at this place at this time. Deny it if you want but the left has many reasons to ask Bush to do this and one is not desperation.

bush agrees with the liberal left (ruling class) when it comes to Islam.

I give it a 50/50 chance bush comes out for the GZM. anyone remember the dubui ports deal? there is no difference and bush sided with the ruling class on that one against the will of the people.

unseen on August 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

But there isn’t one within 1000 feet of the crater, so there, um, needs to be. Because of tolerance or something.

Good Lt on August 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

George….tell em’ all how the cow ate the cabbage.

Limerick on August 18, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Three journolists in one day issue the same appeal? This couldn’t be a concerted effort or anything, right?

More and more pathetic every single day.

NoLeftTurn on August 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

And I’m sorry…….but Bush and most of the GOP are part of the RULING CLASS and they all protect one another when push comes to shove.

BUSH endorsement of Mosque in 5……4……3…..

PappyD61 on August 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I don’t care what W has to say about it either. He should have had the interior department claim the land as a national park and rebuild five towers on that spot, four the same height and the one in the middle half again taller.

dogsoldier on August 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Really Ed? Wake up!!!

Greek Orthodox leaders trying to rebuild the only church destroyed in the Sept. 11 terror attacks expressed shock this week after learning, via Fox News, that government officials had killed a deal to relocate the church.

Is that word “Government” I see there?

Knucklehead on August 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Please, please, please, Mr. Bush, let the Donks twist in the wind.

Bruno Strozek on August 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Why aren’t they calling for Carter or Clinton to bail them out?

theCork on August 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

They want a real, respected president to speak, and since Reagan is deceased, GW is choice number two.

Vashta.Nerada on August 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM

This would be a bomb for Bush if he stepped into it.

A lot of people have cut him slack because of vile leftists attacks, and because he is far better in comparison to Obama and his hacks. If he came out backing Obama and in support of this victory mosque I think you would see some floodgates open.

sharrukin on August 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Next we’ll hear the Journolisters bleating that Bush is being downright unpatriotic for refusing to throw a lifeline to their boyfriend while he flails. Oh wait, I know — he’s even racist!!1!1!1!!

rockmom on August 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Is that word “Government” I see there?

Knucklehead on August 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

it is ‘Gub-ment’……

Limerick on August 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM

BadgerHawk on August 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM

So I guess both of those had pieces of the 9/11 aircraft fly through their roof. It’s a freaking island 13.4 miles miles long and 2.3miles wide. EVERYTHING is around 2 miles form ground zero on Manhatten. Nice strawman. I give you points are trying to gain an advantage due to the stupidity of others….

unseen on August 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Mr. Bush is a classier saul than I am, because I’d tell Barry and his assclown greek chorus to kiss my ass and to do it from hell. The nerve of these people is truly breathtaking.

CantCureStupid on August 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Shouldn’t Jumma Hamas Carter be helping the jihadies get this mosque ?

macncheez on August 18, 2010 at 1:26 PM

No doubt it is legal to build the darn thing. But it will ultimately cause the muslims to be big loosers if it gets built. It is so “over the top” insensitive that the American public will be turned off by how crass the muslims would have to be to move forward on suck a tar baby.

I don’t think it will be built. It is a PR train wreck for the muslims. Surely some of them are sharp enough to see it.

saiga on August 18, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Actually they want Bush to make some kind od statement hoping desperately that, in doing so, that he will screw up. Therefore, all the blame can be shifted from Obama to W.

it makes it easier to think of liberals as being naughty (and not too bright) children. When a beloved figure (parent=Obama) either disciplines or disappoints them, rather than exact revenge on that beloved person (or in this case a superior power), they hope to take out their aggression by attacking some less threatening (or less beloved) object. To wit GWB. This is called psychological displacement.And from their twisted minds, it makes political sense as well if you can get voters to believe it.

MaiDee on August 18, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I’m sure Bloomburg’s office neglected to mention the Cordoba house probably initially requested the actual ground zero site as it was’nt being utilized anyway.

heshtesh on August 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I have never witnessed an entire movement self-destruct before my very eyes.

It’s a beautiful thing.

faraway on August 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Right EwwwwwGene. You’ve been speaking for, [at], Bush for years, why would you need to hear from him?

Rovin on August 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Vashta.Nerada on August 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Please Reagan would have called Islam an evil relgion on 9/11 and told the islamists to get bent. the fact that a liberal was in charge on 9/11 is the reason we are even talking about this issue today. If Reagan would have been president on 9/11 Meeca and Medina would be glazzy tourist stops by now.

unseen on August 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Help me GWB, you’re my only hope.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM

unseen on August 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM

No she is just saying this isn’t a freedom of religion issue as leftists claim.

sharrukin on August 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Bush would be a damn fool to respond!

GFW on August 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I think Bush is smart enough not to touch this issue. He’d be damned no matter what he said. And Pelosi would call for an investigation!

scalleywag on August 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Bush will do one of two things:
he will either step in and say legally they can, but they should not since it would be disrespectful to those who died on 9/11, (in which case, he goes against something obama says for the first time. Bush has repeatedly been quiet on things obama has said and done since he left office. or,
he will just let obama and the dems blow in the wind and make it worse for the dems (I think he will do this)

I just find it silly that the press and the dems are beginning to wonder what Bush would do in any situation. makes you tend to believe that the press and dems have lost all confidence in obama

ConservativePartyNow on August 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

BadgerHawk on August 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Really? Towering 12-14 stories and opening 9/11?? I though I saw one was in the basement of some building so excuse me if I’m not out front protesting.

Marcus on August 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM

One word…… PATHETIC

RoFlMaO

donabernathy on August 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Zero’s ship is sinking faster than the Titanic.

This is so Rovian that even Rove couldn’t have caused a train wreck like this.

Ahhhh = the smell of imploding Democrats so early in the morning!

iam7545 on August 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM

This makes perfect sense for the Left. It’s possible to flatter Bush into commenting, and I don’t doubt he’d support the mosque. He’s a mush and PC tool on domestic Islam.

rrpjr on August 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM

No she is just saying this isn’t a freedom of religion issue as leftists claim.

sharrukin on August 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM

If that’s the case then I misunderstood and apologize.

unseen on August 18, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Knucklehead on August 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I don’t recall seeing that story here at HA…
Thanks.

d1carter on August 18, 2010 at 1:32 PM

rrpjr on August 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM

They think those on the right are like them. We don’t march lockstep with anyone. They forget Harriet Miers, Amnesty, and the Dubai Port deal.

Bush can’t lead where conservatives aren’t willing to go.

sharrukin on August 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Bush already addressed this. Nine years ago, he told an assembled crowd something like ‘and the people who did this will hear from all of us soon’. A clear majority has made their voices heard – they’re against the 9/11 Victory Mosque. He doesn’t need to say anything else…

joejm65 on August 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM

“Whatever his flaws, the man respected religion, all religion.”

No, no,no,no,no.

Bush and the Rethuglicans wanted to establish a theocracy, remember? Intelligent Design? Embryonic stem cell research? Partial birth abortion ban? Federal Marriage Amendment?

Did you guys forget to read the memo?

You wrote it.

Bobbertsan on August 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM

saul = soul. Sheesh.

CantCureStupid on August 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM

scalleywag on August 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

ROFLMAO….no one in the ruling class is “smart enough” they think of themselves as different. Ace’s definition of being from the “elite” is spot on. they take the opposite of the masses simply to reaffirm that they are of the ruling class of the elite. then and only then to they look for ways to spin their decisions. the fact that the vast majority wants something makes the ruling class not want it.

unseen on August 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM

BadgerHawk on August 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM

So why do they want this one ?
How many are enough ? 5 ? 10 ? a dozen ?
Whats wrong with the ones they already have that they need one on this exact location ?

macncheez on August 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Olbermann is the one charged with delivering the Mosque request to Bush….HAHAHAHAHA

PatriotRider on August 18, 2010 at 1:36 PM

unseen on August 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM

What sharrukin said. Muslims already have places to hang out/ worship near Ground Zero that no one wants torn down, or even cares about. The entire freedom of religion argument that the left is making is a farce.

When the left cries racist (or bigot, in this case) it usually means that they can’t win the argument based off the available facts.

BadgerHawk on August 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Good Lt on August 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I just updated my research, and a study by a Muslim group 10 years ago showed at least 17 mosques in Mahattan alone, and at least 80 total in the 5 boroughs.

Del Dolemonte on August 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Did you guys forget to read the memo?

You wrote it.

Bobbertsan on August 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM

That’s like so last year!

Oceana has always been at war with Eastasia and that isn’t a joke because they are perfectly capable of turning around that quickly, and believing the polar opposite of what they were telling you last week.

sharrukin on August 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Politico is such a joke. Here is the top headline over there:

Mosque debate strains tea party, GOP

Really? Doesn’t it seem that the mosque debate is straining the left a lot more than the right. Look at all of the Democrats who are now running away from Obama, and even into the arms of George Bush.

I think this issue is killing Dems a lot more than Republicans or the Tea Party. The headline should read: Politico strains to use the mosque issue against the right.

JohnInCA on August 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

A lady just called in to Rush’s show to say that she feels that first the terrorists hijacked the planes into WTC and now they are hijacking the Ground Zero

macncheez on August 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM