Chris Christie: Stop playing politics with the Ground Zero mosque

posted at 6:23 pm on August 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

An Obama-esque statement, not only in terms of his stance on the mosque (like O, he’s voting present) but in the way he’s trying to position himself above the fray of normal party politics. That’s actually a big part of his brand: We think of him as a conservative rock star thanks to his crusade against spending but Christie tends to present himself as a pragmatist who’s just doing what needs to be done to restore fiscal sanity to New Jersey. He’s the adult in the room, in other words, making hard choices to solve serious problems while lesser pols jerk around and have food fights. That’s what he’s going for here, I think. Politico’s rough transcript:

“Given my last position, that I was the first U.S attorney post 9/11 in New Jersey. I understand acutely the pain and sorrow and upset of the family members who lost loved ones that day. At the hands of radical Muslim extremist. And their sensitivities and concerns have to be taken into account. Just because it’s nearly nine years later, those sensitivities cannot and should not be ignored. On the other hand, we cannot paint all of Islam with that brush…We have to bring people together. And what offends me the most about all this, is that it’s being used as a political football by both parties. And what disturbs me about the president remarks is that he is now using it as a political football as well. I think the president of the United State should rise above that. And should not be using this as a political football, and I don’t believe that it would be responsible of me to get involved and comment on this any further because it just put me in the same political arena as all of them.

“My principles on this are two-fold. One, that we have to acknowledge, respect and give some measure of deference to the feelings of the family members who lost there loved ones there that day. But it would be wrong to so overreact to that, that we paint Islam with a brush of radical Muslim extremists that just want to kill Americans because we are Americans. But beyond that…I am not going to get into it, because I would be guilty of candidly what I think some Republicans are guilty of, and the president is now the president is guilty of, of playing politics with this issue, and I simply am not going to do it.”

Asked if he’d call upon both parties to stop, he said, “Well, that again will be playing politics with the issue. I said what I feel about it, and I don’t believe it is up to me to pontificate on other people about what they should do. I just observe what I observe. And I don’t believe that this issue should be a political football. I just don’t. And I think that both sides of this issue now are using this as a political football. And I don’t think it brings people together in America, I think it just further drives people apart, and creates divisions, and I think that’s bad for our country. And all people in our country suffer when those kind of things happen.”

So (1) let’s respect public sensitivities about Ground Zero and (2) let’s respect the distinction between Muslims and radical Muslims and (3) let’s not divide people. What that means in terms of resolving this dispute, I have no idea. But I do agree with him that big-name pols weighing in on this does more harm than good. Even if they’re doing it for sincere reasons rather than for cynical political advantage, there’s no way to avoid the perception that they’re doing it for cynical political advantage, which adds a whole new dimension of clamminess to the discussion. It reminds me of Beltway honchos trying to coopt the tea-party label: Grassroots types on both sides are capable of hashing this out without establishment interference. What does Newt Gingrich add to the debate by railing against the mosque in one breath and chatting with reporters about whether he’ll run for president in another?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Leaders have to take sides on sticky, contentious issues. That’s their job.

leilani on August 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM

No, the job of a leader is to lead his people from a place that’s wanting to a place where they are better off. In the case of the GZ mosque, the vast majority of Americans are at the correct destination already, and well-entrenched too.

year_of_the_dingo on August 16, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I forgot what is the name of the religeon killing our soldiers all over the world ?

William Amos on August 16, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Second, you would not build a Japanese Temple at the site of Pearl Harbor and this Mosque is no different. Actually worse. Mosques are built at sites of conquest. The name of this Mosque “Cordoba House” referring to Islamic rule and conquest in Spain and now the West.

enoughalready on August 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM

There is a Japanese Shinto Temple in Honolulu. However, there are two major differences:

1. It’s 5 miles from Pearl Harbor.

2. It was built 20 years before December 7, 1941.

Del Dolemonte on August 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I don’t understand why the opposition to this is such a big deal (not really, I know we are racists) since the public has raised cane about other sacred sites being encroached on. There have been several attempts to put stuff at Gettysburg and Manassas that have been struck down and the world continued to turn.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM

…interesting analysis….

…what I wonder is this: they’re trading on our nation’s tolerance. Why is it that with each new wave of immigrants lately it is America which has to change and accomodate.

Think of it: when you have people over to stay, for the night or a weekend or whatever, you rearrange the furniture, have the kids double-up, and adjust the menu to accomodate Uncle Nevin’s gluten and peanut allergies. Then, they go back home, and the couch goes back to where it was, and you spend a while trying to find mates for all of the new odd socks in the dryer.

…but, we’re not talking about transient guests. They don’t go home. In effect, they come home. So, who has the duty of accomodating…us to them, or them to us (us being those who were already here).

Today, the “ruling class” (well-placed civic leaders and board members, lawyers, and anyone else who’s living or ambition requires them to enter the public arena and mouth off) tells us that we must pretzel-up America so’s we don’t tread on the tender toes of each new interest group which arrives…particularly if it’s one which might in any way needle and itch “the Man”.

By this I mean if it somehow displays thumb-to-nose in the general direction of the “America of the Eisenhower Administration” that they seem to think still exists. Come here and want to slaughter goats on the veranda? Go ahead…it’s probably part of your “culture”…and all the better if it makes the peasants and rednecks ’round you squirm.

These “open-minded” solons are all in a lather to show just how “cool” they are…”See”, they say to Mr. Islam, “we’re not the racists…THEY are over there!”

…too bad…all that open-mindedness, and they’re just as despised on the “Arab street” as most observant Jew. If history is any indication, they — these who allow “freedom of religion” to be used so selectively — are closest to where the Islamist crosshairs intersect.

Puritan1648 on August 16, 2010 at 7:47 PM

What we face

that basis, and in compliance with God’s order, we issue the following fatwa to all Muslims:

The ruling to kill the Americans and their allies — civilians and military — is an individual duty for every Muslim who can do it in any country in which it is possible to do it, in order to liberate the al-Aqsa Mosque and the holy mosque [Mecca] from their grip, and in order for their armies to move out of all the lands of Islam, defeated and unable to threaten any Muslim.

William Amos on August 16, 2010 at 7:48 PM

They did the mash
They did the Mega Mosque mash
The Islamic mash
With them it was a dancing on a graveyard smash
They did the Islamic mash
The Mega Mosque approved in a flash

They did the mash
They did the Islamic mash

The Imams were having fun
Their Shariah party had just begun
The guests included Eichmann’s ghost and his son

The scene was rockin’, all good muslims were digging the sounds
America held in PC chains, threaten by baying dhimmi hounds
The 9/11 coffin-bangers were about to arrive
With their Obama Hussein vocal group, “Lets make America take a dive”

Cheshire Cat on August 16, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Gingrich sounded like an idiot with the Nazi crack. That sort of absurdity does nothing to help the arguments. Nazis!/racists! ~ trot out the usual suspects. Shut up already, Newt.

On the other hand, Lazio just took the mayor of Teaneck to school on The NewsHour a little bit ago. That was worth watching.

tree hugging sister on August 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Even if that was true, how are we supposed to know? Lying and training in deception are part of jihad.

There’s a story about a moderate Muslim. Something to do with his wife and beheading. Of course, there is no connection whatsoever to that certain religion.

Feedie on August 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Not by the Muzzies. The Muslims are using the West’s suicide note that is “tolerance” to allow them to take over the world.

darwin-t on August 16, 2010 at 7:53 PM

darwin-t on August 16, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I hope we continue to look intolerant, I don’t want to be Europe.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2010 at 7:55 PM

The failure to understand Islam, the war, taqiya, Sharia creep, the Islamization of Europe, etc. just caps your national political future in my book. You get it or you don’t. Christie doesn’t.

rrpjr on August 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM

PEER PRESSURE WORKS.

portlandon on August 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Why sorry? Best possible outcome would be a different location.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Actually, many devout Catholics (for what it’s worth to others) are crediting the Blessed Virgin Mary for interceding to God in this matter, as there has been a rosary-praying campaign going ever since the announcement. If that sounds a bit odd to a non-Catholic, consider that Austria did not fall to the Russians after WW2, and that was attributed to the praying of the rosary by millions of Austrians.

If you’re not a Catholic, I can’t explain it. If you are, I don’t have to.

manwithblackhat on August 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I like Mr. Christie, but he sounds wishy washy on this subject. Not trying to offend, and therefor pleasing no one.

Rose on August 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Typical allahpundit bullsh*te.

Blake on August 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM

As usual, Newt bandwagoning on an issue makes me wonder if its the right choice even if I was on his side beforehand.

Speedwagon82 on August 16, 2010 at 8:01 PM

As the muslim population increases in America we will have more and more of this, but I guess Christie won’t mind as long as he can keep playing “even handed”.

Amina and Sarah Said ran away from their brutal home life and their “devout father,” only to be lured back by their mother on Christmas day and then brutally tortured and murdered not 24 hours later, in an honor killing on New Years day.

Noor Almalaki was run over in an honor killing last November in Arizona by her father for being “too Americnaized” and not Muslim enough. She hung on to dear life for three days before succumbing to her wounds.

G�ls�m Semin was severely beaten (repeatedly), scared to death of her family (and rightly so), and ultimately brutally beaten beyond recognition and “honor” murdered because she refused forced Islamic marriage in Turkey.

Banaz Mahmood was killed in her apartment in London by her father, Mahmood, and his brother Ali Mahmood and 4 others because they didn’t approve of her boyfriend. She had dishonored her Muslim family by falling in love with the “wrong” man. So they stomped on her, then strangled her to death. Her body was then moved 100 miles to Birmingham, where she was buried in a suitcase in a garden behind a house. They had tried to kill her before.

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Druid grove planned for Qom…film at 11.

Limerick on August 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM

…excellent idea…go you one better:

…hold a subscription, make it possible for folks to donate money in $5′s and $10′s and $20′s only…and, with the money, offer to build a “peace church”…not some airy-fairy political action committee staffed with Episcopalians or any of Wright’s UCC harlots…a proper non-denominational Christian church, with pews and hymnals and a minister and staff…see if any of the mainline churches will offer to buy in…hell, call the Wiccans and see if they’ll chime in…and they can give classes on tolerance, pass out pamphlets and tracts, and stand as a representative of the West….

…and offer to build it in Medina. They beg off, offer it to Qom. They beg off, offer it to the mufti of Jerusalem.

…then, sit back and enjoy the riots.

…and spend the subscription money on the families of our war wounded instead.

Puritan1648 on August 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Typical allahpundit bullsh*te.

Blake on August 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Allahpundit is a very cautious man and doesn’t want to rock any boats or even get in any boat.

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Typical allahpundit bullsh*te.

Blake on August 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM

If Allahpundit had been in charge of the Normandy Invasion … … well, there wouldn’t have been a Normandy Invasion.

Lawrence Talbot on August 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM

rock any boats or even get in any boat.

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM

That’s patently false. You guys should stop your attempts to character assassinate

blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM

in other words a betamale or “moderate”

unseen on August 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Hey, let’s compromise. Build the Memorial first (9 years – what a disgrace) then fast track and build the Greek Orthodox Church across the street that been there for decades and can’t get permits.

Then we’ll talk A Community Center.

BUILD THE MEMORIAL and mourners and their families will have a place to go, and grow and remember. It’s still a hole in the ground for God’s Sake. Appalling.

Shame on Bloomberg and NYC, that should have been the first priority.

seesalrun on August 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM

manwithblackhat on August 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I am ready differing reports so I guess they should hold off on the victory lap.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Anyone interested in a ” Love jihad “?

macncheez on August 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM

blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM

If Allahpundit had been President instead of Thomas Jefferson, instead of sending Lewis and Clark to the West Coast, he would have only sent them as far as they could go and still remain in sight.

Lawrence Talbot on August 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Blake on August 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Still waiting on the link to the blog where you show how big your balls are. Oh, wait…there is none. Might explain the proportionate size.

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Lawrence Talbot on August 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Allahpundit would have been an inept Nazi spy who inadvertently parachuted onto Easter Island and reported back that the inhabitants were huge but strangely silent.

Extrafishy on August 16, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Hey! This is like Chuck Norris stories, just in reverse.

Murphy9 on August 16, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Allahpundit ain’t exactly my favorite guy, but to be honest the fact that you can rag on him without too much worry is something of a compliment.

There are other places where that can’t be done!

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 8:23 PM

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 8:23 PM

He wants to maintain his Clark Kent persona.

Murphy9 on August 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM

…and yet here we are, on a page that Allah and Ed moderate/host/put up with, talking about affairs of the day.

Nobody elected Allah…he isn’t being paid out of the public trough, unlike the waffle-chefs on the nightly news…he’s only slightly more public than all we private citizens…so what’s the beef? He isn’t all worked up? He hasn’t deigned to share his opinion…or *GASP* he hasn’t got an opinion on this most dearly obsessed-over donnybrook?

…CRUCIFY HIM!

For my part, I don’t care whether he has an opinion or not, if he expresses it or not, is careful of his opinions or not…he’s among the crew that run’s HotAir, and all we overheated loudmouths can drone on and on and on as if someone were actually listening….

…so, sail on, Allah…for my part, you p*ss off all the right people….

Puritan1648 on August 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

He wants to maintain his Clark Kent persona.

Murphy9 on August 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM

So when do we get to see ‘Superman’?

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I have lived and have friends in Jersey, overlooking the City off those Palisades Cliffs.

I believe alot of Jerseyans were there to help, or watched in horror as a monolith of hope was brought down on September 11th. Millions of them (think Bayonne, Jersey City, Weehawken, Fort Lee, Hoboken and points over South)

I wasn’t there but I heard hundreds of stories – and it’s my Kennedy moment (where were you when)….

The Attack on the USA on September 11, 2001 affected all of us. I remember telling my children after I got home from working, that “today the world has changed”.

Christie had to say something. It wasn’t that bad and hopefully heartfelt. We have another circus for diversion…

Popcorn?

seesalrun on August 16, 2010 at 8:33 PM

What would Ronnie do?

Got a wild hunch that he wouldn’t give the mosque a free pass.

notagool on August 16, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Leaders also need to be smart. He’s already got a state full of influential enemies. Perhaps he is avoiding a political headache that he doesn’t need, by avoiding to issue a solid comment on a discussion that he has zero influence on.
blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I think that’s what he was trying to do too, but I think we can all agree just reading the general reaction here that the way he went about doing it didn’t end up looking too terribly smart in hindsight.

He equated the folks who are opposed to the ground zero mosque as people painting Islam with too broad a brush. If that were so then they’d would oppose any and all mosques in NY. The problem is with THIS mosque and I’m sorry but to think its not going to be political is naive.
exceller on August 16, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Yes, and that’s exactly where he screwed up. He himself painted with a broad brush the people he insists are painting with a broad brush so he comes off as a self-righteous hypocrite.

(But like I said upthread, I’m willing to cut him some slack. He’s kinda new to sticky wicket stuff like this.)

leilani on August 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM

In essence, what all these politicans are saying is:

We Must Not Examine Islam.

Not its dismal, intolerant, imperialistic ideology.

Not is bloodspattered, horrific history.

Not is theocratic totalitairian aim.

We Must Not Examine Islam.

A suicide wish for the West.

Endorsed by the majority of our spineless, brainless “leaders”.

profitsbeard on August 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM

When I visited Auschwitz a few years ago, I noticed there was a Chinese fast-food place right across the street that serves sweet-and-sour pork. There was also a bar where you can down a few beers while enjoying the scenery. What I found really disturbing though, were the big recycling bins right next to the camp.

year_of_the_dingo on August 16, 2010 at 9:01 PM

What would Ronnie do?

Got a wild hunch that he wouldn’t give the mosque a free pass.

notagool on August 16, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I don’t think it would’ve been proposed under Reagan, or Bush II either for that matter.

ddrintn on August 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I might point out as well that the above-it-all approach might also look like cynical angling for political advantage.

ddrintn on August 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM

In essence, what all these politicans are saying is:

We Must Not Examine Islam.

profitsbeard on August 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM

No, it’s not. They didn’t say that or imply it. Have at it.

exception on August 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM

They don’t! They want to kill us because we aren’t Muslim. If Islam does not want to be “painted with the same brush,” they should get a new brush and start painting!

Vince on August 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM

He’s full of beans on this one. Radical Islamists will absolutely make sure they launch some type of devastating attack from this mosque.

It’s like wearing a kick-me sign.

AnninCA on August 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM

It’s like wearing a kick-me sign.

AnninCA on August 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I suspect they may want an attack to take place against them so they can play the victim card.

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I think we have a lot of concern trolls on this thread.

It’s almost like they are trying to take down Chris Christie, or something.

rockmom on August 16, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I’m aggravated by otherwise intelligent people that are relating this to ‘freedom of religion’. Sure we guarantee freedom of religion in the Constitution, but in no way can that be construed as a right to build a mosque or church any damn where you want. Freedom to practice your religion is not the same as freedom of construction. This should always have been handled as a building code, zoning and permissioning issue.

We have a similar freedom of the press, but that doesn’t mean that the New York Times can put up a building anywhere they want in New York City, and it doesn’t mean they can plop a newspaper vending machine anywhere they want and it doesn’t mean a newspaper reporter can go anywhere they please.

slickwillie2001 on August 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Why is Mayor Bloomingidiotberg so much in favor of the GZ Mosque?

Akzed on August 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Great link. If that doesn’t say it all, I don’t know what does.

Gang-of-One on August 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM

And remember Tina Isa:

Palestina “Tina” Isa was a bubbly honor student from St. Louis MIssouri who was ambitious to succeed and just wanted to live a normal teenage American life. But her Palestinian father, Zein Isa, was a suspected terrorist behavior and was part of the Abu Nidal Organization.

The Isa residence was under FBI Survelance and they actually caught Tina’s Murder on tape. Tina came home and when Zein pulled out his knife to stab Tina, she screamed and begged for her mother to help her and all she got was a brutal “shut up” as her mother held her down while Zein stabbed her 14 times screaming “Die my daughter die little one DIE!”

Zein & Maria Isa were both sentenced to death for Tina’s murder but Maria sentence was commuted to life without parole. Zein died of natural causes while on Death Row in 1997.

Tina’s sisters, Fatima & Soraia, said that Tina was a bad daughter and she deserved to die.

I’ve got a cast iron stomach but hearing this child being murdered on tape made me ill.

Blake on August 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Frankly, I don’t care if politicians are playing football with this issue. Considering the fact that I have been trying to educate people about Islam for 6 or 7 years now, it’s well-past time to have the debate. What is most discouraging is that I’m seeing the same kneejerk naive reactions that I saw when I began my fight.

Connie on August 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM

It’s almost like they are trying to take down Chris Christie, or something.

rockmom on August 16, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Christie is pursuing the right track for himself and for the GOP. Let voters know that first and foremost getting the fiscal house in order is where the effort should go. He’s got a mess to deal with in NJ and doing a great job.

dedalus on August 16, 2010 at 11:12 PM

The mosque is inappropriate but legal.

It’s truly amazing that so many of you think your feelings are more important than the law.

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Meh, this issue is a trifle that will be forgotten about when the real news cycle heats back up.

But…I really don’t understand NE politicians who think that grandstanding on “tolerance” is the path to the voter’s heart.

How about calling on the project supporters to withdraw the project? And, while you are at it, how about calling on the leading Muslim countries to show similar tolerance for Christianity?

Just because something is legal doesn’t mean that it meets the smell test.

Because of 30 years of PC propaganda, our brains really have turned to mush. These guys want to either convert us or kill us. They ain’t assimilating.

johnboy on August 16, 2010 at 11:23 PM

The mosque is inappropriate but legal.

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM

“Dhimmi” the useful idiot

enoughalready on August 16, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Well I do have to agree with AllahPundit and Christie. Building it is offensive to the core yes, but they do have a right do build one if New York residents allow it.

And before anyone asks, yes I know what they are doing is a provocation. It’s been done this way through history which is why it should be fought. I feel everything is working out the way it should. They are provoking and people are rising up to (hopefully) stop it.

Jesse on August 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM

You should re-read what you just wrote. I don’t believe you believe what you wrote.

How insane is the argument that this Imam is a radical? He’s been preaching for 25+ years in lower Manhattan without a single incident of alarm! The FBI and NYPD have busted several Imams and their supporters over the last 8 years. They “missed” this guy? Give me a break.

honest16 on August 16, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Is this the same Chris Christie Mark Levin outed as supporting amnesty and refusing to challenge the ObamaCare mandate for NJ before someone at Red State got their panties all up in a bunch because someone dare attack their golden boy? The Facebook smashup was won hands down by Levin by the way. And Chris Christie is the adult in the room? Sorry, I just don’t see it.

gmerits on August 16, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Jeez, imagine what he would be like if he played politics, if this is not playing politics

I like the way he singled out Republicans first, for criticism, since the first name on the list is the last name to be forgotten

One thing for certain he is no Palin

Guess if everyone took his advice we would have had nationalized healthcare eons ago, assuming it did not conflict with sharia

entagor on August 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM

honest16 on August 16, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Allow me to say what I do and do not believe.

The FBI and others have missed and ignored many radicals, so that statement doesn’t impress me.

What do you think they were going to arrest him for exactly? He can say all sorts of things and none of it is illegal, so what is your point? He doesn’t have an RPG and some explosives in his house? How impressive!

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM

“Dhimmi” the useful idiot

enoughalready on August 16, 2010 at 11:23 PM
——
Ahh, I see you only wish for freedom of religion to be enjoyed by Christians.

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Ahh, I see you only wish for freedom of religion to be enjoyed by Christians.

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Well as an atheist I would say if pressed to choose I would go with the Christians every day of the week.

You see, not every religion is the same. Some are different than the others, and those differences count in the real world.

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 11:46 PM

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 11:46 PM
——–

How about they move 1 more block north? Would that be okay?

How about 2 more blocks north?

3?

6?

Where can a mosque be built in NYC so people won’t cry?

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Maybe to a place where they actually start building bridges rather than burning them. I mean given that this is the claimed purpose.

BTW, how far should the IG Farben (manufacturer of Zyklon B) Industrial Chemical Museum be from Auschwitz?

Three blocks?
Eight blocks?

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 11:57 PM

6?

Where can a mosque be built in NYC so people won’t cry?

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I imagine 6 would have been fine, since not many care about the one on Warren Street. I think having it not adjacent to a building ruined in the attack would have made a defference.

exception on August 16, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Shut up Christie, go back to what you do best and mind your own business. Stop playing politics with your NY neighbors..The American people are against it you idiot, and frankly we have had enough of all of you pandering to your elite groups and not having any common sense.

shar61 on August 17, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Where can a mosque be built in NYC so people won’t cry?

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM

How many do they already have in NYC ?
Why do they need more ?

macncheez on August 17, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Just go ahead and build the damn thing then.. I mean it’s only New York right?. I am sure it will be a beautiful site to see as you are across the hudson looking at it from where lady liberty stands…

shar61 on August 17, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM

You’re massively ignorant, a burden on a civilization already overburdened with ignorance and credulousness. But it’s not too late to learn and offer some help.

Read Bruce Bawer’s “While Europe Slept.” Bawer is a liberal gay writer from New York who fled what he thought was an overly Christianized America for asylum in Europe only to end up terrified by the degradations of freedom he found there, driven by Islam and abetted by the appeasements of the “enlightened” European elite.

This has nothing to do with freedom of religion. And if the constitutional implications concern you so much, have you considered what it means to have so many liberal secular politicians actively championing a mosque? Aren’t we supposed to be protected from impositions of religion by the state?

What’s really amazing is how the “humanist” Left coddles the most anti-humanist, anti-gay and anti-women “religion” on earth but sneers at merciful and tolerant Christianity at every turn. A mosque at ground zero becomes the absolute standard for tolerance while the liberal elite at the Kennedy Center refuse to allow Glenn Beck to utter an opening prayer at the event he paid for. Now that’s amazing.

And what’s amazing is how all those screaming masses of liberals pounded on parked cars past my windows after the passage of Prop 8 (thinking their feelings were more important than the law, I guess) — and how they then called out and hounded supporters one-by-one, making sure they paid for their support with their livelihoods. Amazing.

But what’s really amazing is how opponents of this politically correct abomination of triumphalist Islam refuse to be cowed by liberal elite dhimmi fools, and this time will win.

rrpjr on August 17, 2010 at 12:15 AM

rrpjr on August 17, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Which laws should be used to forbid it?

exception on August 17, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Thank you, Chris Christie!! I want to know all about people who have been mentioned as possible presidential contenders. In my opinion, you have no potential.

mobydutch on August 17, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Christie, If you have nothing to say then you need to shut your fat mouth up. Go eat a burger.

What the hell is wrong with you? You dumb ass.

oldyeller on August 17, 2010 at 12:42 AM

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM

The Feds can miss, but not over the course of 25 years. Our system isn’t as ridiculous as that.

What I’m saying is the argument attacking him as a “radical” Imam is weak, because the Mosque can simply appoint another Imam that is not a “radical” and continue with the mosque project. They have a Board, they’re run like a corporation, it’s never built on one man.

If it’s about this Imam, then he shouldn’t even be allowed to have the mosque that he has had for 25+ years, located literally in the shadow of Ground Zero.

If we’re genuinely concerned about sensitivity and a radical presence desecrating the sacredness of Ground Zero, then shouldn’t the 25 year old mosque be closed down as well?

honest16 on August 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM

honest16 on August 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM

You may have a point there!

The idea of building an Islamic peace memorial in lower Manhattan was circulating as early as 2003. Its early proponents were two Iranian brothers, M. Jafar “Amir” Mahallati, who served as ambassador of the Iranian Islamic Republic to the United Nations from 1987 to 1989, and M. Hossein Mahallati. Amir Mahallati had served with Rauf in the leadership of an obscure nonprofit, the Interfaith Center of New York, for which Rauf was a vice chair and Mahallati a board member. The two had also participated in a 2006 radio program, “From Turmoil to Tourism: Following the Path of Abraham.”

Imam Rauf…

U.S. policies were an accessory to the crime that happened. We [the U.S.] have been an accessory to a lot of innocent lives dying in the world. Osama bin Laden was made in the USA.”

“Where there is a conflict, it is not with Sharia law itself but more often with the way the penal code is sometimes applied. Some aspects of this penal code and its laws pertaining to women flow out of the cultural context. The religious imperative is about justice and fairness. If you strive for justice and fairness in the penal code, then you are in keeping with moral imperative of the Sharia.

“In America, we have a Constitution that created a three-branch form of government — legislative, executive and judiciary. The role of the judiciary is to ensure that the other two branches comply with the Constitution. What Muslims want is a judiciary that ensures that the laws are not in conflict with the Qur’an and the Hadith. Just as the Constitution has gone through interpretations, so does Sharia law.”

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf is a key figure in Malaysian-based Perdana Global Peace Organization, according to its Website.

Perdana is the single biggest donor ($366,000) so far to the Free Gaza Movement, a key organizer of the six-ship flotilla that tried to break Israel’s blockade of the Hamas-run Gaza Strip Monday.

The Cordoba Initiative lists one of its three major partners as the UN’s Alliance of Civilizations. The Alliance has its roots in the Iranian-driven “Dialogue Among Civilizations,” the brainchild of former Iranian President Hojjatoleslam Seyyed Mohammad Khatami.

sharrukin on August 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM

It’s disgusting to have a mosque on that hallowed ground. That area around Ground Zero should be full of things like strip clubs, off-track betting parlors and a Vitamin Shoppe. Also, there should be things vendors hawking horribly tacky crystal twin tower sculptures, Burger King, and a rendering of what the memorial will look like (if it ever gets finished).

mmnowakjr85 on August 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM

mmnowakjr85 on August 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM

When did the lefties join the Moral Majority?

Or is this just cheap posturing as usual?

sharrukin on August 17, 2010 at 1:19 AM

The mosque is inappropriate but legal.

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM

No, what is amazing is that they would even consider building it there. They were offered the option of alternate property by no less than the governor of the state but refused. Does that sound like bridge building?

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Really ? Is that going to be the new mantra for the jihady agenda now ? Law is more important than feelings ?
So now the muslim cabbies will be forced to transport passengers who have booze or puppies with them ?
Muslim employees at Target will be forced to work in checkout and scan packs of porkrind and bacon ?
There will be absolutely no footbaths for muslims in public schools , since the government is not supposed to favor any one religion ?
Muslims will stop getting themselves admitted to Christian / Catholic schools and colleges and then force them to delete “our Lord” from their documents ?
Muslims girls will start wearing bathing suits in public swimming pools , if thats the law there ?
You think muslims will try to consider our laws over their feelings ?
Or is all this ‘ respect for law ‘ just a one way street ….destined for muslim laws and muslim feelings..aka submission ?

macncheez on August 17, 2010 at 2:06 AM

You know I get the creepy feeling that an awful lot of leftists would be more than happy to join the Mujahideen Majority.

sharrukin on August 17, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Burger King

mmnowakjr85 on August 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM

To pick one example, seems important that the Burger King that was wreaked in the attack should be up and running. The one NYPD operated out of during the recovery operations.

The rebuilt Winter Garden at WFC is “a good place for photos”? I agree, though not as good as it was before 2001.

Also, why does your map exclude so many damaged buldings, including those totally destroyed? 7WTC doesn’t count? Or 30 West B’way? Do you know how much closer than that complete destruction got the mosque site?

I know you’re trying to make a point, but you’re doing it wrong.

exception on August 17, 2010 at 2:12 AM

I know you’re trying to make a point, but you’re doing it wrong.

exception on August 17, 2010 at 2:12 AM

What point is he trying to make? That a Burger King, or filthy capitalistic commerce is profane, and that a victory shrine to those who murdered 3,000 Americans is somehow morally superior?

Ground Zero is not a Holy Site.

It is the site of a Muslim atrocity!

Not a Burger King atrocity!

sharrukin on August 17, 2010 at 2:19 AM

What point is he trying to make?

sharrukin on August 17, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Your guess is as good as mine. I doubt he even knows what his point is.

exception on August 17, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Your guess is as good as mine. I doubt he even knows what his point is.

exception on August 17, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Just something to say that he thought sounded coherent lifted from a leftist website.

sharrukin on August 17, 2010 at 2:32 AM

hell, call the Wiccans and see if they’ll chime in…

Puritan1648 on August 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM

You leave us out of it!

We don’t have a dog in this fight. You religions of the book can duke it out.

Seriously, what is the point of this place? Promote peace and reconciliation, forgiveness? I’ve not heard anyone asking forgiveness, quite the opposite. Peace and reconciliation and call it Cordoba?

The whole thing is a provocation. It’s in terrible taste. This reminds me of the Carmel at Auschwitz. JPII asked them to leave. Their very presence made their purpose impossible. Same with this mosque. Except I believed the nuns had good intentions ….

Hope on August 17, 2010 at 2:36 AM

We don’t have a dog in this fight.

Hope on August 17, 2010 at 2:36 AM

Yes actually you do!

You are not a Muslim. That means you live in Dar al-Harb (The House of War).

Islam is very different from Christianity.

I am an atheist but I have no illusions as to how dangerous the Muslims are. Religious minorities in predominately Muslim countries are rarely treated well. I say rarely, but I suspect never might be more accurate.

sharrukin on August 17, 2010 at 2:47 AM

sharrukin on August 17, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Actually, from a Pagan point of view the Book religions are very similar, paternalistic, intolerant, and most especially, oppressive to women.

But I agree, Islam is the one which seems to be stuck in the Middle Ages.

Hope on August 17, 2010 at 3:21 AM

But I agree, Islam is the one which seems to be stuck in the Middle Ages.

Hope on August 17, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Well, from an atheist point of view one of them cuts the noses off of women…

And one of them orders gang rapes as legal punishment…

And the other thinks you shouldn’t wear revealing clothes but will pray for you anyway.

So as a guy who has a niece I love very much I know where my trust is going.

sharrukin on August 17, 2010 at 3:32 AM

Fumble … ouch!

That was the worst handoff I’ve seen since the Gore kiss, Bloomberg’s times square call, or when Obama was almost not really sworn into office by Judge Roberts. As irony would have it, Obama wasn’t qualified to be a towel boy even after two tryouts and he’s been trying out for the NBA ever since. Keep trying little buddy, you need to find a job you’re good at, though you might want to stop smoking and pack on a few pounds if you’re to take the position you were made for … bench warmer.

The very act of “not playing politics” puts a politician on the grid iron. That said, I’m not going to pile on Christie unless he picks up the ball and runs toward the wrong goal.

P.S. I hope I worked in enough football cliches.

kregg on August 17, 2010 at 5:34 AM

I wonder if that muslim terrorist dude had detonated that Toyota forerunner in times square a few months back if we’d really be having this conversation.

ted c on August 17, 2010 at 6:25 AM

“What offends me the most about all this, is that it’s being used as a political football by both parties.”

This is the standard line, delivered verbatim, for every politician on every issue that they can’t get involved in and can’t hide from. It the issue has nothing to do with that politician’s particular strength (Christie’s is financial restructuring), then it is an offensive “political football” being tossed about.

Go ahead, Chris, say it: “This isn’t what helps me or excites me…I have no comment on it.”

There…is that so hard?

Jaibones on August 17, 2010 at 7:05 AM

ugh. Strike one Gov.

ctmom on August 17, 2010 at 8:38 AM

ted c on August 17, 2010 at 6:25 AM

The people who voted on the community center are among those most directly threatened by a future attack.

dedalus on August 17, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Isaiah 5:20, and Romans 1:18~25 come to mind regarding these people. Some people you simply cannot reach, they have willed themselves into darkness and they will not leave it.

KinleyArdal on August 17, 2010 at 9:01 AM

But I agree, Islam is the one which seems to be stuck in the Middle Ages.

Hope on August 17, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Your perspective needs considerable work. o.0 If you care to learn why, I am always up for a Q&A.

On topic: sharrukin is quite right. Islam is a threat to everyone who is not a Muslim. That the world somehow thinks it is going to escape a massive war with Islam is astonishing. Ostriches, sand, et cetera.

KinleyArdal on August 17, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Michael Savage pointed out that the Ground Zero Obamamosque is simply the latest of those to mark Muslim Empirical Victory following conquests from Constantinople’s Cathedral through Muslim destruction of Hindu and Buddhist shrines. The Muslim conquest of Spain’s Iberian Peninsula is the Cordoba name assigned to NYC’s ground zero Obamamosque project.

Time Magazine’s plea for Republicans to “do the right thing” does not follow the author’s advice to pacify dhimmiwits with a misappropriated sense of righteous indignation antagonistic towards sanctified memory of lives taken.

However, Savage thinks that blasting government enablers is exactly what would ensure Republican candidate victory; campaign against those in government failing to apply laws requiring public records of the mosque’s funding sources and stipulations of the Patriot Act on the Ground Zero Obamamosque imam.

Bloomberg and politicians greasing the mosque’s bus wheels are getting bribes to erase public memory “we will never forget”.

But REALLY this NYC business is, at the root, a local issue that if NYC residents don’t protest won’t matter how much anyone outside cares about 9/11. Money talks.

maverick muse on August 17, 2010 at 9:10 AM

KinleyArdal on August 17, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Drudge’s new headline, John Bolton says Israel has 8 days to stop Iran’s nuclear powers.

maverick muse on August 17, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I don’t buy the “insurance” tactic explanation for NYC supporting the Obamamosque.

Muslims kill Muslims all the time, sect against sect, tribe against tribe. Muslims on pilgrimage to their sect’s holy site are bombed by their opponent’s sect terrorists all the time.

maverick muse on August 17, 2010 at 9:15 AM

This is strange. I could have swore I posted stuff here.
Am I being deleted?
Hmmm….

Badger40 on August 17, 2010 at 9:17 AM

maverick muse on August 17, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Which is why we should somehow keep supporting this, one against the other.
Then in the end we only have one enemy to deal with.

Badger40 on August 17, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I’d also like to point out how bigotted, ignorant and intolerant it is of Quislings (in both parties) to condemn the spiritual commitment of Muslims who faithfully obey Islam by observing “honor killing” fatwas.

By what authority do Quislings excommunicate (takfir) devout Muslims when they practice “honor killing” and enforce the sharia fatwas endorsed by the Corboba House sharia law advocates?

Again, the prerogative to issue apostacy fatwas is granted only to Islam’s prophet, or authoritative representatives of the ummah— which are the Quislings invoking?

Have Cordoba House’s handlers in the Apartheid Kingdom of Saudi Arabia or the Muslim Brotherhood approved any anti-honor fatwas?

Don’t take my word for it: “Honor Killing” is absolutely Islamic.

Own it, Quislings.

Terp Mole on August 17, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Islamo-supremacists must return Muslim-occupied Cyprus and the Hostage Ghost City of Famagusta (home of the desecrated St. Nicholas Cathedral)— then victimhood cultists of Cordoba House can howl about alleged “rights” to build on Ground Zero.

St. Nicholas called— he’d like his desecrated cathedral back… and his destroyed Ground Zero church rebuilt.

Russians crush Chechens. Chinese trample Uighurs. Real genocides unfold regularly in Africa. Iran pursues a nuclear bomb. Hamas is openly dedicated to the destruction of Israel. So is Iran. Nobody cares.

And yet the only villains (as far as much of Quislings are concerned) are patriotic Americans. Always America.

But none of these facts matter. Indeed, it’s tiring even to recount them in an environment where big lies matter more than obvious truths, where self-defense is “bigotry,” where restraint is “intolerance,” and where the heirs of Gandhi fling molotovs (both real and rhetorical) in support of jihadists.

Terp Mole on August 17, 2010 at 9:30 AM