Chris Christie: Stop playing politics with the Ground Zero mosque

posted at 6:23 pm on August 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

An Obama-esque statement, not only in terms of his stance on the mosque (like O, he’s voting present) but in the way he’s trying to position himself above the fray of normal party politics. That’s actually a big part of his brand: We think of him as a conservative rock star thanks to his crusade against spending but Christie tends to present himself as a pragmatist who’s just doing what needs to be done to restore fiscal sanity to New Jersey. He’s the adult in the room, in other words, making hard choices to solve serious problems while lesser pols jerk around and have food fights. That’s what he’s going for here, I think. Politico’s rough transcript:

“Given my last position, that I was the first U.S attorney post 9/11 in New Jersey. I understand acutely the pain and sorrow and upset of the family members who lost loved ones that day. At the hands of radical Muslim extremist. And their sensitivities and concerns have to be taken into account. Just because it’s nearly nine years later, those sensitivities cannot and should not be ignored. On the other hand, we cannot paint all of Islam with that brush…We have to bring people together. And what offends me the most about all this, is that it’s being used as a political football by both parties. And what disturbs me about the president remarks is that he is now using it as a political football as well. I think the president of the United State should rise above that. And should not be using this as a political football, and I don’t believe that it would be responsible of me to get involved and comment on this any further because it just put me in the same political arena as all of them.

“My principles on this are two-fold. One, that we have to acknowledge, respect and give some measure of deference to the feelings of the family members who lost there loved ones there that day. But it would be wrong to so overreact to that, that we paint Islam with a brush of radical Muslim extremists that just want to kill Americans because we are Americans. But beyond that…I am not going to get into it, because I would be guilty of candidly what I think some Republicans are guilty of, and the president is now the president is guilty of, of playing politics with this issue, and I simply am not going to do it.”

Asked if he’d call upon both parties to stop, he said, “Well, that again will be playing politics with the issue. I said what I feel about it, and I don’t believe it is up to me to pontificate on other people about what they should do. I just observe what I observe. And I don’t believe that this issue should be a political football. I just don’t. And I think that both sides of this issue now are using this as a political football. And I don’t think it brings people together in America, I think it just further drives people apart, and creates divisions, and I think that’s bad for our country. And all people in our country suffer when those kind of things happen.”

So (1) let’s respect public sensitivities about Ground Zero and (2) let’s respect the distinction between Muslims and radical Muslims and (3) let’s not divide people. What that means in terms of resolving this dispute, I have no idea. But I do agree with him that big-name pols weighing in on this does more harm than good. Even if they’re doing it for sincere reasons rather than for cynical political advantage, there’s no way to avoid the perception that they’re doing it for cynical political advantage, which adds a whole new dimension of clamminess to the discussion. It reminds me of Beltway honchos trying to coopt the tea-party label: Grassroots types on both sides are capable of hashing this out without establishment interference. What does Newt Gingrich add to the debate by railing against the mosque in one breath and chatting with reporters about whether he’ll run for president in another?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Very disappointing, but I need him to continue reforming New Jersey more than I need him to join the chorus of staunch opponents.

amerpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:25 PM

How about asking the New Yorkers if they want it, have them vote on it and move on? I am not happy about it, but then again i don’t live there. Neither does many others.

So, Allah… Yay or Nay?

upinak on August 16, 2010 at 6:25 PM

-1 Chris Christie

dforston on August 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Sounds like he is thinking about the future.

rob verdi on August 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM

While there may be a place for high minded idealism, you can’t believe for an instant that the Dems would be so kind as to follow this kind of advice themselves. Given the opportunity, they would bludgeon the GOP to death with it. I see now problem holding them to their own standard. It may be petty, but that’s the way the game is played Chris.

Tacitus on August 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM

if true in what he said, good piece

Doctor Zhivago on August 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM

So, Allah… Yay or Nay?

Yay or nay on the mosque? I’ve said before that they have a right to build it but I wish they wouldn’t. If ever they were seriously interested in using it to “build bridges,” that moment has passed thanks to the backlash and ongoing political clusterfark.

Allahpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM

So much for Palin/Christie 2012. I hope we can find another conservative to run with her.

JimK on August 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I still think Christ Christie is great as Governor of New Jersey; but the more I hear from him on other issues, I get more and more disappointed.

Sorry, but I don’t think I would want him on the national political scene.

Norwegian on August 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM

By the way, the mosque spokesman on Twitter has now resorted to mocking Judaism.

amerpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM

This is totally disappointing and a cop out.

cubachi on August 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Um, stick to your day job of cutting spending in NJ, Chris.

thirteen28 on August 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM

If those who wish to build this Ground Zero mosque are sincerely interested in encouraging positive “cross-cultural engagement” and dialogue to show a moderate and tolerant face of Islam, then why haven’t they recognized that the decision to build a mosque at this particular location is doing just the opposite?

That sounds much, much more like it to me.

(I don’t have to cite the quote, do I?)

turfmann on August 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Of course they have the right to build it but they surely knew this would not go over well. You have to wonder if they did not already have O’s blessing.

CWforFreedom on August 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Christie (and consequently AP) are dead wrong: Sarah Palin’s statement wasn’t about “political advantage.”
Millions of us find the idea of a mosque at Ground Zero genuinely offensive, outrageous and heinous, ergo she voiced our objections for us.
And Obama isn’t a “political party.”
He’s the Precedent.

Christie can kiss my a$$!
Wait until he hears from all the NJ folks who lost loved ones in the Towers on 9/11.

Jenfidel on August 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Islamification and Sharia law are a major force in the world. If you want to be our international leader then you need to understand this.

This a major issue not a minor one.

Oil Can on August 16, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Shut up, fat boy!

dforston on August 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Allahpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM

They want respect, without having to deal with the inconvenience of showing any.

blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Mind games.

paul1149 on August 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM

If he’s saying this to make him look like the adult in the room then he’s using it as a political football too, isn’t he?

Mark1971 on August 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Christie is right here. Locals and the people that lost family and friends on 9-11 have every right to protest. Having locals protest the building of ANYTHING is par for the course.

No one is complaining about the Greek Orthodox Church that was destroyed on 9-11 only to have the city thwart its reconstruction for 7-8 years.

No one complains when every attempt to build a WalMart in Manhattan has been thwarted.

Don’t they have constitutional rights?

This is a local issue that has been way over politicized.

iam7545 on August 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM

(2) let’s respect the distinction between Muslims and radical Muslims and

I really do think most Americans can, and have done that. However, the imam of this particular Mosque wants sharia law, and blames the United States for 9/11. I just can’t see a distinction between what he’s said, and being non radical.

capejasmine on August 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM

So you for or against Chris? Everything else is just jibba jabba.

RarestRX on August 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Sorry he is wrong about this.

The construction on the mosque is said to be scheduled for 9/11/2011.

That is no coincidence.

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Allahpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Allah, but what if you were allowed to vote on it? Say like CA on prop 8. Would you vote?

upinak on August 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Wrong. Its brought American people together.

and creates divisions

Nothing wrong with creating divisions between
supporters of terror
and
victims of terror .
Its a good thing.

How can it be bad for the country, now that we know what these people really are behind their masks and what their agendas are ? It maybe bad for the professional politicians and terrorists, but it is good for the country.

macncheez on August 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Sorry. islam at this point is not to be trusted. And it has earned that mistrust with a lot of hard work. It deserves that mistrust most heartily. To stress too much “dialogue” with a party (islam) who does not wish to begin with is a non-starter.

Of course Obama is not to be trusted either. That is now a given. He also has proven repeatedly that he is dedicated to doing the wrong things for this country. Anyway you slice it from the domestic to the foreign, you find him doing the opposite of what he should be doing.

He is . . . no good.

And Christie disappoints by not taking a clear stance regarding the mosque. That in itself amounts to a political statement.

Whether he likes it or not he is a politician.

In any event how can taking a clear yes or no stance on the mosque be considered playing politics IF that is your true stance?

That is not playing politics.

Sherman1864 on August 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM

amerpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM

All part of their ongoing efforts to promote tolerance and build bridges, no doubt.

I hope they keep talking. The more they say, the more they expose what they really are.

AZCoyote on August 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM

We think of him as a conservative rock star

It is a mistake to call Christie a conservative. If NJ wasn’t in the deep hole it is Christie might do things completely differently.

So, Allah… Yay or Nay?

upinak on August 16, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Why should only New Yorkers have a say? The dead were not just New Yorkers. New Jersey & Conn residents were also directly affected by the loss as were family and friends from across the nation. And all Americans have financially paid for this also.

katiejane on August 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Weak. Not Presidential timber if he doesn’t understand the nature of Islam and the threat it poses to the civilized world. Next he’ll be chanting “religion of peace” with the rest of the illiterates.

Kalapana on August 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM

(2) let’s respect the distinction between Muslims and radical Muslims

I don’t agree with his number 2.

When Muslims can form one nation that isn’t violent, doesn’t hate Jews, treats women as actual people, and allows the building of churches and synagoues within it’s borders then I’ll believe there’s a valid distinction.

He tried to have his cake and eat it too. Didn’t work. Stick to fiscal policy Christie.

darwin on August 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Maybe no comment should have been “No comment, I’m working on solving the problems of New Jersey right now.”

Eventually the POTUS may be presented with an issue that he has to decide upon as a leader, if that person is waffling then they are not a leader.

Bishop on August 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM

This is a local issue that has been way over politicized.

iam7545 on August 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Again Islamification and sharia law are NOT local issues. It’s part of the global jihad, since 632 AD.

You have to ask yourself why a mosque and why there? PS Now I want to build a church in Mecca. Is that a local issue?

Oil Can on August 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM

He adds to the debate his next forthcoming Presidential Book Tour II. That’s what I think, anyway. Could be wrong this time, but wasn’t last time.

I think Palin weighing in on this is sincere. What she has put forward are the same questions and misgivings I have about this. It is a provocation, a cultural act of triumphalism. We are supposed to accept things like this with open arms, while at at the same time being ashamed of our own flag out of some guilt for past Imperialism?

Typical of leftist thinking, that now, in this instance the First Amendment and religious liberty and private property rights are so important, when in most cases those things get steamrolled for “the public good” and “diversity”.

Brian1972 on August 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Hey Christie, identifying the enemy in time of war is not “playing politics.” Take out a loan and buy a clue.

Kalapana on August 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

What kind of vote would possibly be involved here? Like I say, their constitutional right is straightforward. Any vote that would ban the building of the mosque would be tossed out as a violation of free exercise. It’s not a voting issue at all.

Allahpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

upinak on August 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

If what gets built on private property starts getting subject to vote we’ve got much bigger problems.

exception on August 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Sounds like he is thinking about the future.

rob verdi on August 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM

What future?

His political future or a future that bows to Islam?

darwin on August 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM

There are more than enough mosques in NYC. To build one there on hallowed ground is a slap in the face to America. If Muslims really wanted to “build bridges” in this country they never would have considered building in that location for more than a second. They know how it will be perceived.

Guardian on August 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I think Gov. Christie should have just said he doesn’t need to comment. I am not sure it was “present” as much as it was “All of the above”. To label it a political football discounts the sincere feelings about this.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM

pop goes that bubble … Christie has no principles.

There is right and wrong, and this mosque being built at ground zero is just plain wrong.

tarpon on August 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Oh good grief WHO are these PR idjets our political parties keep hiring that make them do stupid stuff like this?!!

“I’m disappointed that this is being used as a political football and Obama should never have gotten involved and I agree to disagree that this is a problem that cannot be resolved but I will make this political statement upon it.”

So …uh… what’s your statement?

“I can’t make a statement as that would make it political…”

But you’re condeming Obama… so doesn’t that make your statement political?

“I just wish to make a statement about the politicizing of this that should not be politicized.”

But condeming Obama?

“I just want to get my opinion out there”

Skywise on August 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

exception on August 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Yep.

The building of the thing gets me hot in the blood, but you’re right.

We try to start banning religious things, you can guarantee (!!!!) you are giving an opening to the feds to ban whatever else religious things/people/groups they want to ban in the future.

blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

(2) let’s respect the distinction between Muslims and radical Muslims

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

SouthernGent on August 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

(2) let’s respect the distinction between Muslims and radical Muslims
I don’t agree with his number 2.

darwin on August 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM

How right you are! You have made an extremely good point here and I appreciate it!!

Sherman1864 on August 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Islam, just like the communist left use our own laws against us and we haven’t the balls to tell them NO.

darwin on August 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Allahpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I am just curious is all Allah. No need to bite my head off. But people are getting really upset about this, and it doesn’t matter what side fo the isle they are on.

exception on August 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Yeah, I thought that too. But then the Government has this nasty habit of taking/seizing land and buildings. Just an interesting observation as I see some land being taken up here.

upinak on August 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

There is the contextual nod against the construction of the building.

blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Mark1971 on August 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I took Christie’s statements merely as an attack on Obama. Christie seemed to be trying to position himself as the new outsider, and above the fray and petty politics like how Obama won before. I took his comments regarding the sensitivity towards the 9/11 families as pretty clear as to where his sympathies lie.

The polls suggest that most people are fed up with both political parties and I thought that this statement just fed into that sentiment. I’m not ready to give up on him yet.

redeye on August 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Muslims want to make us dhimmis. I don’t believe that Chris understands that, so on this one he gets an incomplete.

He can make it up next semester.

Akzed on August 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

He’s been bothering me for awhile. All the allusions and even comparisons with Reagan and the “rockstar” nonsense were always missing something about him, a kind of “delusion of mediation” that placed him within the club of politicians. This and the PC mental block about Islam. Not acceptable. These are reason why I would never again support a lawyer for President, or rather, another reason why, to me, being a lawyer is an instant disqualification.

I’m glad he’s serious and straightforward about some of his work as Governor, but I don’t consider him presidential material.

rrpjr on August 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

And all Americans have financially paid for this also.

katiejane on August 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Wow I guess I am part fo the Canadians again.

upinak on August 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

-1 Tony Soprano.

portlandon on August 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Christie was put on the spot by an attention-speaking reporter who intentionally asked a question on what is, to Christie, an irrelevant topic.

I’m not going to blame him for punting. Though I wish he would have just embarrassed the reporter and done an FYNQ.

The Lone Platypus on August 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Allahpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Wrong as usual.

Islam is the ideology of the enemy, and not some made up “radical Islam.” Mosques are the field headquarters of jihad. The purpose of Islam (moderate or radical – shaken or stirred) is to impose sharia on everyone, including metro-sexual atheists.

The root cause of this problem is the suicidal policy of allowing Moslem immigration. It must stop and all of those non-moderate Moslems deported. Otherwise, we’ll be England inside of two decades. Wake up and put down the “religion of peace/radical Islam” Kool-aid.

Kalapana on August 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Since when is this a “party issue”?

It’s been a conservative vs. liberal issue for quite a while as far as I’ve seen.

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM

There is the contextual nod against the construction of the building.

blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Nods are weak by nature. I expected better of Christie.

Sherman1864 on August 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM

“What offends me the most about all this, is that it’s being used as a political football by both parties.”

What offends me, you cross between Mr. Voting Present and Ms. Lecturing Crabapple, is your moral equivalency in the face of evil, which is depravity, you fat coward.

Tav on August 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM

-1 for Christy.

The GOP has every right, nay – the DUTY – to point out the insensitivity of the Democrats towards the Americans killed on 9-11.

Rush had it right on his show today.

HondaV65 on August 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM

This is good in a way if it makes conservatives give a little more thought to who they think should run.

Too many have a habit of choosing someone based on a single comment or speech.

sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Ah, the fair weather Christie fans cometh!

ThePrez on August 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Allahpundit on August 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I agree, sort of. Here are a few key questions that need to be asked loudly.

Where is the money for this mega-mosque coming from? Out “friends” the Saudis? Iran? Radical Islamist groups in Egupt? Follow the money.

Who owns the property where the GZM is going to be built, and why on Earth are they selling this property for this provocative Islamist high five?

What contractor is actually going to build this monstrosity and what Islamist groups might they be tied to.

I’m usually way down on unions, but c’mon unions as Americans, are you actually going to participate in this?

simkeith on August 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM

blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Like Rush said today … try putting up a Nativity scene somewhere, anywhere and see how fast it gets “banned”.

This has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment, which restricts Congress from making any law. Muslims are free to worship in NY, there are mosques aplenty and most would have to pass other mosques just to get to this proposed monstrosity.

darwin on August 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Isn’t this the same dude who worried about “demagogues” on both sides of the AZ law?

Let’s see… He’s pro-gun control, he was pro-abortion (although he’s flipped on that), he’s pro-amnesty… and now this.

He’s doing a good job fighting the unions in NJ, though. Gotta give him credit for that.

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Cristie is just playing it smart on this. It doesn’t matter what any pols think or say publicly anyway…they have a right to build a mosque at that location. Voting “present” is really the best the good pols can do.

That being said, the people don’t have to vote “present”…it’s our right to protest this mosque at the WTC site, and hope that the builders of Cordoba House might see the outrage, and decide to move the location further away.

Which, in the end, I hope happens.

JetBoy on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

What’s so wrong with what he said?

This makes me like Chris Christie more. I’m glad he’s not wailing like some Banshee. We are not going to stop Muslims from building Mosques. Its absurd to even paint this debate on some Holy war plain. This Mosque is highly insensitive and a provocation, but there is little recourse outside teh city politics of NYC.

It makes Obama and some Democrats look bad and, because of that, we need to score some political points. But there is nothing wrong with CC’s position.

We have a gay Muslim bar on one side. We need a butcher to builda giant hog wearhouse on the others. Dont mind that mess in the street, its just some pig guts.

swamp_yankee on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I don’t need governors to disapprove of things for me. Since there is no executive power involved they have no more standing on the issue than anyone else. In their official capacities even less. I’ll leave that “feels your pain” nonsense to Clinton fans.

exception on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Wow I guess I am part fo the Canadians again.

upinak on August 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Don’t understand this comment.

katiejane on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Ya wanna know what our idiot leaders should be saying? THIS-

Regardless of our thoughts, Americans have a RIGHT to build a mosque whereever they’ve legally purchased land and gone through the legal process to do so. That’s a RIGHT. Inviolate. Now building a Mosque next to ground zero, no matter your good intentions, does not send a positive message to a great many other Americans and may instead inflame the passions you wish to assuage so you might wish to rethink your position. But the choice is yours.

Skywise on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

If anyone here is looking for politicians that represent your views 100%, you are bound for disappointment. Even if you ran for office yourself, you could find yourself on the opposite side of an issue based on what is best for the voters of your area.

Some voters have litmus test issues and cannot vote for either main candidate. The rest of us try to weigh plus/minus values and pick the best of the litter.

Christie is not particularly conservative from a red state viewpoint, but is making a difference. Celebrate that and quit nit picking so much. Jeez.

GnuBreed on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

well now we know besides fiscal matters Christie is a loser.

can’t wait to see mitt wade in.

unseen on August 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Ah, the fair weather Christie fans cometh!

ThePrez on August 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Really? It seems Christie is getting a rather mild taste of discontent. Go to a Romney/Palin/Huckabee thread for real displays of lunacy.

portlandon on August 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Our erstwhile New Jersey resident commenter, Manly Rash, is sour on Christie and believes he is no conservative.

Terrie on August 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Nods are weak by nature. I expected better of Christie.

Sherman1864 on August 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM

What good does Chris Christie do for NJ and the discussion if he comes out against it? I know he doesn’t think of it as a good idea but…

..it doesn’t change a damn thing. I think he’s avoiding controversy where he can. He’s got the mafia/unions coming after him like a wasp, and I’m going to go out on a limb and surmise he’s simply trying to avoid giving himself more political headaches.

Some may call that weak, but I see him as someone staying on the ball with New Jersey’s issues.

monstrosity.

darwin on August 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Understatement of the year!

well now we know besides fiscal matters Christie is a loser.

Again with your ignorant lambasting.

blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Hey fat boy, I have someone who would like to have a little talk with you.

Islam as a religion elevates and follows a man who was nothing more than a psychopath, murderous warlord, and by modern-day standards a sexual deviant and pedophile. Islam as a political entity is based upon complete submission and seeks only to subjugate and suppress every freedom we cherish in western civilization. Until Islam undergoes a reformative process bringing it into alignment with the rest of the world, then I shall reject it, and stand against it. The converse I find reprehensible; to convert, be subjugated, or die, which are the Koranic options given to me, a non-Muslim.

I will gladly peacefully coexist with Islam. Can the same be said in reverse? And do not tell me about the Koranic verse stating, “there is no compulsion in religion,” because I understand the theory of naskh or abrogation. That means that the later verses of the Koran supersede previous verses. As a result, most violent verses in the Koran abrogate previous “peaceful” writings.

Have I just committed hate speech? No, it is the truth according to the Koran and the Hadiths, and I have no fear in stating such. I will not allow Western civilization nor America to be paralyzed by soft or hard jihad, by legal tactics, nor kinetic attacks. I pledge to fight, not for myself, but for others, for our future and legacy which we leave our children and grandchildren. Any man that cannot find the courage to do so as well, especially leaders in western civilization, I call a coward.
(Colonel Allen West)

Tav on August 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

JetBoy on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I find it amusing and ironic that you morphed “Christie” & “Crist” into one character.

portlandon on August 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Chris Christie, the Republican party’s own Barack Obama.

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Skywise on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

katiejane on August 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I personally don’t have a problem with a mosque being built there, but if it bothers the people of New York, a place not known for knee jerk intolerance on these things, then their wishes should be respected. I also am concerned about where the money is coming from and who exactly the Imam is that is heading up the project, he sounds like a terrorist sympathizer.

Daemonocracy on August 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Where are the moderate Muslim voices? Are they afraid to speak out on this subject? I am sure they have an opinion on this. What is it?

d1carter on August 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

GnuBreed on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Geez … you call this nitpicking? Islam has immigrated to every damn western country on the face of the planet and they are slowly but surely having their demands met. Europe will be majority Muslim in 20 years.

They want to build a monument to their victory over the Great Satan, right next to the place where Islam inspired the murder of 3000 people.

You call that nitpicking?

darwin on August 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Cannibalism, with Julia Child. Wonderful.

Limerick on August 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

So, Allah… Yay or Nay?

upinak on August 16, 2010 at 6:25 PM

So you would be ok with having south Dakotaians decide what to do with mt. rushmore?

the land use of ground zero on 9/10 was a local issue. on 9/11 the land use of that site become a national issue

unseen on August 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Time Magazine’s Mark Halperin is pleading with Republicans not to use President Obama’s endorsement of the Ground Zero Mosque against Democrats in the Midterm Elections.

Because TIME and Halperin are engaged in objective journolistism, and are in no sense carrying water for Obooba and the Doomedocrats.

Akzed on August 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

The issue of this memorial to Mohamed Atta became a political football the moment this government sanctioned a religion ….
by supporting and sponsoring its fund-raising mullah with US taxpayer dollars.
Its not a private matter anymore.

macncheez on August 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I’m also gonig to go out on a limb and assume, few of the whiners have ever actually been to a city like Patterson, where there is already 10 Mosques in the one city alone.

What would you people have Christie do? Tear them down and deport all the Muslims.

swamp_yankee on August 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Tav on August 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

What Lt. Col. Allen West said. I just hope the clueless wake up before the country I love turns into England. Islam cannot coexist with civilization. Try opening your eyes and looking at the rest of the word or Dearbornstan.

Kalapana on August 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Also, Republicans really shouldn’t bring this up unless their Democratic opponent does first. Crist gave Rubio a gift by announcing his support of the project, now Rubio can just draw a contrast. Obama gave all Republicans a gift by speaking out in favor of the project, yet another issue he is at odds with the public.

Daemonocracy on August 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Chris Christie, the Republican party’s own Barack Obama.

KentAllard on August 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

OH PUUHHLLEEEAAASE

The hyperbole is THICK on this thread.

blatantblue on August 16, 2010 at 6:54 PM

portlandon on August 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

My point is that for months it`s been “I love this man! Is it o.k. for one man to love another, Christie 2012! Gottan get me some sweet CC p*rn!”

Now he answers one interview question and it`s “He has no spine, coward, -1 Christie, he has no principles.”

ThePrez on August 16, 2010 at 6:54 PM

When Moh respects me, I’ll respect Moh.

Limerick on August 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Too many have a habit of choosing someone based on a single comment or speech.
sharrukin on August 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Knock it off, Scott Brown drove a pickup truck, that’s all you need to know.

Brown/Someone 2012

Bishop on August 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM

OT, Politico reports that the 9th circuit stayed the Prop. 8 ruling. So no gay weddings in California for the immediate future.

Terrie on August 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM

This is a stupid or deliberately disingenuous and self-serving statement. There is no parity between how the “sides” are handling this. Opponents of the mosque are bravely taking on the mother of all self-destructive PC delusions and doing so for the most part with maturity and careful moral clarity. The Left, on the other hand, is condemning and attempting to smear and silence all opponents.

“But it would be wrong to so overreact to that, that we paint Islam with a brush of radical Muslim extremists that just want to kill Americans because we are Americans…”

Really? Who said that? Who is taking that position? This is both a liberal hobgoblin and a false moral equivalence.

rrpjr on August 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM

d1carter on August 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

The only Muslims I’ve heard speaking out against this are in Canada. Either we have no “moderate” Muslims in the US, or they’re scared to death to speak up. Neither is a good scenario.

Stop letting Muslims immigrate here.

darwin on August 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM

swamp_yankee on August 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Then where would I buy goat?

exception on August 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM

2012 Candidates:

Fat Reagan
Girl Reagan
Hair Reagan
Elmer Gantry Reagan
Minnesota Reagan

Fat Reagan just stumbled in turn #1.

portlandon on August 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM

GnuBreed on August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

no one that is “nitpicking” christie forced him to wade into the fray. most on here would have been happy if he would have kept out of it. He has added nothing to the debate and has painted himself as an idiot on this issue. I guess its better that we know now he is a one trick pony and besides fiscal issues there is no there there irt to christie then wait and find out later down the road when serious people are being considered for POTUS.

unseen on August 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM

The First Amendment prohibits the federal government from establishing religion. By allowing massive Mohammedan immigration, providing it much support both directly and indirectly, and helping with creeping sharia it is doing exactly that.

Kalapana on August 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM