Uh oh: Blagojevich jury deadlocked

posted at 5:54 pm on August 11, 2010 by Allahpundit

Can’t blame them for being conflicted. After watching the White House try to bribe Joe Sestak and then Andrew Romanoff in apparent violation of federal laws, I’ve long since given up on figuring out what sort of corruption is illegal and what isn’t.

Looks like they’re not hung on all 24 counts, just a few.

The judge in the trial of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich announced that the jury is deadlocked on some counts in the case.

U.S. District Judge James Zagel, reading from a note from jurors, said they had made “a reasonable attempt” after deliberating 11 days and had done so “without rancor.”

The jury indicated it wanted to know what happens if it cannot agree on a unanimous decision on every count. The panel had matched up specific acts in the case to individual counts and was unclear on what to do next, the note said.

They’ve been deliberating for 11 days, so it’s not like they haven’t tried. The obvious question: What happens if they find him guilty on some of the lesser charges and hang on the bigger ones? Will the feds retry him or let it go and take what they can get sentencing-wise on the smaller counts? I’m thinking … they have to retry him, no? He’s a national poster boy for shady politics at this point. If they let him walk away, they’re practically blessing corruption in the court of public opinion.

Comments

It’s Chicago.

Skandia Recluse on August 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

He’s such a likable doofus and how would they know that this isn’t “normal”?

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Skandia Recluse on August 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

was thinking the same thing…

cmsinaz on August 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

The fix was in.Lets face it Obama’s justice department had a hand in it.

sandee on August 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Let him walk…..then write the damn book Blago..under the bus with all of ‘em…. do it…DO IT YOU JACKWAGON!

ted c on August 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Fox News contributors who actually observed the trial say that the Government did not prove its case and that its evidence was flimsy at best. And remember that the Public Integrity Section at the Justice Department is not above its own corruption–see, e.g., Ted Stevens, and that the lead prosecutor on the case is not above railroading someone in a political trial–see, e.g., Scooter Libby.

So as much as I hate to say this, could it be that most of the jury thinks he’s not guilty? And could it be that Blago actually isn’t guilty?

Outlander on August 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM

He’s such a likable doofus and how would they know that this isn’t “normal”?

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I was just sitting here wondering why I like him so much. It’s completely bizarre. Perhaps it was his endearing ignorance of computers on Celebrity Apprentice? (By the way, genius P.R. move on his part, I think.)

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

“If they let him walk away, they’re practically blessing corruption in the court of public opinion.”

Just like Clinton and oral sex with interns…

… Can’t wait to see what “else” is blessed in the court of public opinion.

Seven Percent Solution on August 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Same here. If those guys are fine, then what did Blago do that was so bad?

Esthier on August 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I can’t put my finger on it either. He seems totally unqualified to be a governor but there he was. It’s like the powers that be in that state just put him there because he was easy to manipulate. He was out of his league and it this case that’s probably a good thing.

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM

(By the way, genius P.R. move on his part, I think.)

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Putting his wife on “I’m a Celebrity” was probably an even better idea. She had so much sympathy from all of the other celebrities it was ridiculous.

Don’t ask why I watched it. I honestly don’t know.

Esthier on August 11, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Hmmm… Why am I not upset over this?

LurkerDood on August 11, 2010 at 6:06 PM

It may be wrong to look at this through a political prism, but if Blago does walk it will just cause more problems for Democrats here in Illinois at the polls in November. Admittedly Illinois voters tend to be corruption-tolerant but they enjoy payback too.

GreenBlade on August 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Any gangster knows you have to pay all twelve jurors.

Vashta.Nerada on August 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM

I don’t know what it is about Blago and I live in NJ which we had 43 busted in one shot for corruption last year, but Blago does not seem like he’s guilty to me. He might be an idiot but a not guilty idiot.

margategop517 on August 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Pfffftttttt! Blago knows like the Bee’s know.

upinak on August 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Same here. If those guys are fine, then what did Blago do that was so bad?

Esthier on August 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Bah!!! Blago is an amateur.

ladyingray on August 11, 2010 at 6:12 PM

1. Sestak race in PA
2. Colorado race
3. Black Panther case

They’re not exactly batting 1.000, here.

Vashta.Nerada on August 11, 2010 at 6:12 PM

TYPICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who got done bought off!!

canopfor on August 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Don’t ask why I watched it. I honestly don’t know.

Esthier on August 11, 2010 at 6:06 PM

No shame over here. I watch a lot of idiotic reality tv, actually. (Some friends of mine like to ruthlessly tease me for that, actually. *coughMCcough*)

I thought the crying was pretty gratuitous, but the rest of the show did her a lot of good. The fact that both of them went the reality tv route indicated a clear strategy, whether it was their idea or their handlers I don’t know. Portraying themselves as hapless, loveable, sympathetic doofs caught in a bad situation was pure PR brilliance, either way.

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM

‘Nobody puts Blago in the corner!’

I’m blending threads.

GnuBreed on August 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Rod Estevez.

Towash on August 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM

1. Judge Zagel will instruct the jury to keep deliberating.

2. Remember what you’re looking at. A group of people selected because they had little knowledge of and no opinion on the case were handed a lengthy, complex set of instructions.

Karl on August 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM

There I go again. I need to sleep or drink something. :)

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Outlander on August 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM

He’s at least not that guilty.

TinMan13 on August 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM

The fix is in…

Khun Joe on August 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I think the worst of it is while I don’t think those kinds of shows have much merit, they are easy to get sucked into when you actually tune into one.

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM

It was beyond gratuitous, but it worked. When people were given a chance to call home, she was picked to call her husband. And it helped that she was mostly a team player on the show. She seemed relate-able, and if I hadn’t known who her husband was before the show, I might have even taken her side on that too.

Esthier on August 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM

There I go again. I need to sleep or drink something. :)

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I do that a lot myself but tend to catch it before hitting submit.

Esthier on August 11, 2010 at 6:27 PM

The government for whatever reason (wink, wink) jumped too quickly. They should have waited until an actual deal for Obama’s seat was made.

Hobbes on August 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM

If they hung, there’s no reason to think another jury wouldn’t do the same. Perhaps the prosecuters were a bit overzealous on some counts.

AnninCA on August 11, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I wonder if this is what’s going on in Chicago, right now?

dmh0667 on August 11, 2010 at 6:38 PM

========================

Me thinks Team Obama Corrupto wants this to go away,
but,Blago is also pulling a Wrangle Rangle!

Hopey might get spiteful!!

canopfor on August 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM

GnuBreed on August 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM

lolol
nice :)

cmsinaz on August 11, 2010 at 6:43 PM

A retrial keeps this in the news through November… Plus maybe next time they actually call Valarie and Rahm to testify instead of just teasing us.

If they aren’t going to convict him let’s have a retrial. That’s works for me.

petunia on August 11, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I do that a lot myself but tend to catch it before hitting submit.

Esthier on August 11, 2010 at 6:27 PM

So you’re saying you’re more adept at proofreading than I am?

How dare you!

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:43 PM

canopfor on August 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM

another round of tea and popcorn my friend :)

cmsinaz on August 11, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Just how incompetent of a prosecutor is Fitz? This incompetent.

I honestly think he takes cases with an idea of what happened and then proceeds to try and take the facts and fashion crimes out of them. He certainly tried pounding square pegs in round holes with Libby due to his preconceptions.

This is also scary and corrupt.

KittyLowrey on August 11, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I wonder if this is what’s going on in Chicago, right now?

dmh0667 on August 11, 2010 at 6:38 PM

dmh0667: I’ll raise you,And Justice For All!!!
=========================================================

[Great Movie Scenes] …And Justice For All – Ending Scene

canopfor on August 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM

canopfor on August 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM
==================================
another round of tea and popcorn my friend :)

cmsinaz on August 11, 2010 at 6:44 PM

cmsinaz:I am soooooooo thankful,that the Progressives,have
provided entertainment till November,and bless it
are they,ahem,haha!!:)

canopfor on August 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM

So you’re saying you’re more adept at proofreading than I am?

Bee on August 11, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I should be, as it’s part of my job (and I do specifically tell my team to rewrite things that use the same word more than once in the same description), but no, not at all. :)

It’s more that I edit my comments a few times before posting. The wording isn’t always right the first time, and sometimes I bring up a point that breaks off into a tangent that I don’t really want. Things like that.

Esthier on August 11, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Corruption? What’s that?

We are never going to recover from this laissez faire attitude toward the depraved mutts in charge now, from coast to coast.

Present company, notwithstanding.

tru2tx on August 11, 2010 at 6:51 PM

canopfor on August 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM

cmsinaz on August 11, 2010 at 6:55 PM

What Blago did is mild in comparison to what another man and women from Chicago are doing in Washington. They are using taxpayers money to throw parties and travel around the World. I believe one of them just returned from Spain and soon will be taking another vacation. Talk about abuse of Office.

flintstone on August 11, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Did someone say Charlie Rangel?

The taped conversations of Blago were pretty damning. I don’t know how they can’t convict him on some of the charges, but I’m not a lawyer. What do I know. If Blago goes down, so should Rahm (what was his role in this seat?), Jesse Jackson Jr, as well as Valerie Jarrett (slumlord) and Obama (this seat and the Rezko housing deal). Seems like Blago is taking the fall on this one.

If we’re playing the moral equivalency card, Blago’s crimes are small potatoes compared to Chicago-on-the-Potomac. Heck, 3/4 of Congress have committed equivalent crimes or worse. But convictions aren’t determined based on moral equivalency or likability, are they? Why it’s like a Culture of Corruption or something.

conservative pilgrim on August 11, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Considering what Osama Obama has done and skated on, Blago’s down there in unpaid-parking-ticket territory.

With Fitzgerald running the prosecution show, all I can think of is “Scooter Libby,” and then I wonder if the none-too-bright ex-governor is taking one for the real crooks.

I say: do whatever it takes with Blago to shut up Sheppy-Poo Smith, and it’s a victory for the public.

MrScribbler on August 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM

AnninCA on August 11, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Now we have heard the voice of reason..:)

Dire Straits on August 11, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Corruption? What’s that?

Present company, notwithstanding.

tru2tx on August 11, 2010 at 6:51 PM

In Robert Bork’s famous words (paraphraes) “It all started with If the glove doesn’t fit you must acquit”

Dire Straits on August 11, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Well it is Chicago. Juror given an offer he couldn’t refuse?

But, as others have said, compared to Obama’s RICO corruption, Blago is a two-bit apple stealer.

MaiDee on August 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM

1. Judge Zagel will instruct the jury to keep deliberating.

Karl on August 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Have you been on a deliberating jury? I have. And I was sequestered. The judge canNOT make a jury keep deliberating.

ladyingray on August 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM

canopfor on August 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM

cmsinaz on August 11, 2010 at 6:55 PM

cmsinaz:)

canopfor on August 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM

The judge should tell the jury that they don’t get their book/movie deal unless they deliver a verdict. If its a hung jury the next jury gets the book/movie deal.

txmomof6 on August 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Blago always said he was going to testify and tell it all. Then he didn’t testify! Could the Obama Admin have gotten to the Prosecutors and told them Blago must be free and that’s why the government’s case was bad?

I do believe the fix is in. When Pres. Obama would not be a witness, I think that he told Blago, he would fix it!

Disgusting that Blago could get away with this with the tape proving he was guilty!

VFT on August 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Forget it Allah…. It’s Chinatown Chicago.

Most local observers of the trial have thought he was going to walk. In fact, it wouldn’t shock me if he got off on the bigger counts and the deadlock was over the smaller ones. The gov’t didn’t prove its case.

Illinidiva on August 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Blago For President!!!!!

iam7545 on August 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I wonder how Scooter Libby feels about this…..

di butler on August 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Blago (hearing about the deadlock): “Man, this is golden…”

VFT: I think you have hit the nail on the head.

onlineanalyst on August 11, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I recall some opinions in the press and such at the time the Blago stuff was breaking to the effect that the Feds blew it in their investigation. The context was that the Feds went public with the inditement prematurely before getting a smoking gun.

This left the prosecuters holding a weak chain of goals and discussions be the defendents without the consumation of a blatently illegal act. Some of the speculations were that the investigation was intentionally botched early so that there was not an opportunity for certain parties to become ensnared in the mess with potentially impeachable actions.

Hootowl on August 11, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Why don’t they just let Trump decide the deadlocked charges?

Kensington on August 11, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Gaining Blago’s testimony would likely show Obama and his clan deeper in the Chicago corruption club pool that they came from. Not good for elections in 2010 or 2012, they’re already neck deep now.

We’ll see what the jury comes out with but I’d guess Blago gets off – team Obama doesn’t want to go there if he were retried plus it sounded like the government didn’t have a strong case from what I’ve read.

Makes me wonder more why they went so hard for Blago in the 1st place. Not overly sympathizing with Blago really, but doesn’t Chicago have a lot better qualified corrupt politicians in their midsts to spend their money and energy on? Something seems off here to me.

wubu on August 11, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Why assume that he will be found guilty of ANYTHING? I guess you don’t know ChiTcago. :o)

DannoJyd on August 12, 2010 at 3:25 AM

This is easy money for me.

The guy is part of a hundred year old system of corruption. To pull him out and make him the whipping boy is a noble but foolish effort. I’ve heard stories about the corruption in Chicago actually being part of the way of life there.

It would be like trying the guy for stopping at red lights, obeying traffic laws and breathing. It is simply the way they do business.

Sometimes the federal prosecutors bite off more than they can chew. They may get some small stuff here, but only because Blago is such an over the top idiot. The big stuff.
Hey, that’s life in the windy city.

archer52 on August 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Thanks to Jeri Thompson for this oijevich polka link.

maverick muse on August 12, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Bizarro World at Hot Air. Allahpundit stands well to the right of the commenters on Democrap corruption.

Jaibones on August 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM