New Hayworth ad: In his own words, McCain’s a liar

posted at 8:17 pm on August 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

It’s a few days old and, alas for Hayworth fans, too late to save their guy from an impending drubbing, but since it’s a fait accompli that Maverick’s newfound “true conservative” persona will dissolve like sugar in water once he’s elected, we should have this somewhere in the archives for future reference once he does.

If you’re wondering what the audio here is referencing (does it matter?), Ace has the background. I’ll leave you with a few choice quotes from the New Yorker’s profile last month just to make sure you know that this is no idle charge being leveled by Hayworth:

Thus began the lurch to the right that has so captivated national media—the ones he used to call “my base”—and horrified the liberals who took McCain as an example of the right kind of conservative. But others defend him. “Does John McCain move around occasionally on issues?” asks Wes Gullett, a former McCain aide in Arizona and longtime supporter. “Yes. He’s fighting a fight. He’s a fighter. He goes to the sound of the battle.”

But McCain didn’t always like the sound he was hearing. An adviser in Arizona who knows McCain well says, “He doesn’t like doing what he’s doing.”…

Ironically, both McCain’s opponent and his own supporters agree on one thing: If he wins, he’ll probably morph yet again, a lame-duck senator with nothing to lose, tacking left to reclaim his old mantle as a thorn in his party’s side. It’s what friends like Graham envision for him.

“What I hope will happen is that he’ll be the force against excess and the person who can find that common ground we need to have as a nation. That’s what I hope will happen, and that’s what I expect will happen.”

Comments

“I’ve made my mistakes…”
There, fixed the ad.

fossten on August 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I’m not a big McCain fan but neither am I a Hayworth fan. It’s too bad AZ didn’t have a better alternative to put up than him.

AZ voters should continue to hold McCain’s feet to the fire so he stays in the same mode that he’s been campaigning in.

MikeknaJ on August 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

sad, AZ can do better.

ted c on August 9, 2010 at 8:21 PM

I am hoping that McLame looses. I really do not want this lizard head back in the Senate.
Praying on knees! :)

hawkman on August 9, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Wow – that’ll leave a mark.

If this came out a month ago, McCain would be on the ropes.

Rebar on August 9, 2010 at 8:22 PM

A politician lied???? This is shocking!! Why isn’t he in prison???? Oh, cover the childrens’ ears….

RBMN on August 9, 2010 at 8:22 PM

MikeknaJ on August 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Do you really think he gives a flying patootie what you ‘Nativists’ think?

sharrukin on August 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

MikeknaJ on August 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

he won’t care two licks if he wins

cmsinaz on August 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Could JD be worse? I ask you.

Akzed on August 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

No heroes in this election. No withstanding Sen. McCain’s military service, I mean political heroes.

Cindy Munford on August 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I puke at the mere mention of his name….

SDarchitect on August 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Could JD be worse? I ask you.

Akzed on August 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

And yet it seems he can be no better.

Scrappy on August 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Amnesty in 5…4…3…2…

Thanks a lot McCain voters.

tetriskid on August 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM

McCain/Crist 2012

Bishop on August 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM

absentee ballots have already been sent out, early voting has started…
too bad this didn’t go out earlier…

cmsinaz on August 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Regardless of whatever better candidates there might have been, none of them ran. JD Hayworth did. That’s the alternative to re-electing John McCain. I will support the Republican candidate in the general, but I will vote for JD Hayworth for the primary. It’s the only option I have to register my dissatisfaction with Senator McCain’s performance. So I’ll take advantage of the opportunity.

azkag on August 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM

azkag on August 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM

ditto

cmsinaz on August 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Maverick!

The Chewbacca Defense on August 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM

azkag on August 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Myself, as well.

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:41 PM

The other problem we have in Phoenix is Ed Pastor. No townhalls, his office said to me, he only goes to union halls.

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM

azkag on August 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM
ditto

cmsinaz on August 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

ditto here as well.

SuzyQAZ on August 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM

character matters…

what a waste

cmsinaz on August 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM

There really needs to be a recall mechanism at the state level for Congresscritters. Nothing less will make them stick to their campaign promises, and this is especially true for WeatherVain McCain.

GnuBreed on August 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM

nice….

/s

cmsinaz on August 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Why oh why do Arizonans fall for his crap!

bluemarlin on August 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Just saw the commercial a few minutes ago on KSAZ-Fox10.

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM

McCQueeg,is spinning his steel balls!!
===========================================

Madness Visible

canopfor on August 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM

/s

cmsinaz on August 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I would have assumed, it was implied heavily.

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

McCain/Crist 2012

Bishop on August 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Oh that is good!
Who’s in the cabinet? Graham? Specter?
Snowe and Collins need honest work.

eyesky on August 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

bluemarlin on August 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM

It’s not just Arizonans; it’s the whole country. too busy to pay attention to what the politicians are doing and too busy/apathetic to take the time to look past the TV sound bites.

SuzyQAZ on August 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Why oh why do Arizonans fall for his crap!

bluemarlin on August 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Sun City retirees.

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

anyone at this day and age that thinks any politican is not a lying bas*ard that will sell his mother to the highest bidder needs some help. there are a few good guys out there but McCain and Hayworth are not members of the good guy group. Most politicans will lie by using spin. McCain must have been out to lunch the day he said this.

I pity the voters in AZ they have two idiots to choose from.

unseen on August 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

ok

cmsinaz on August 9, 2010 at 8:58 PM

SuzyQAZ on August 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I know, I know! It just saddens me, I was born in Tucson.

bluemarlin on August 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Sun City retirees.

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

barry young would be proud

cmsinaz on August 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM

McCain so reminds me of the old move The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, only with him it is The Lying Case of Sheriff Joe and Mr LaRaza. He is playing Sheriff Joe now but you just have to know that after the election he goes back to Mr LaRaza.

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Why oh why do Arizonans fall for his crap!

bluemarlin on August 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM
Sun City retirees.

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Yes, and many other retirement communities around AZ as well, I am sure.

bluemarlin on August 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Is there anything he can do to screw over Jan Brewer in her fight with Obama?

sharrukin on August 9, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Do you remember the sweep of your youthful deeds
The sound of them strumming the sky?
But now when I listen, the melody’s changed
Your words only whisper goodbye
I don’t want to morn, John, when I think of you
But now whenever you speak, I do

PercyB on August 9, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Is there anything he can do to screw over Jan Brewer in her fight with Obama?

sharrukin on August 9, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I am sure that Two-face will try to come up with something.

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM

[MikeknaJ on August 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM]

Dude, he’s running for a Senate seat. That’s six years. He’s 74. It’s his last run. He’d laugh his a$$ off at you if you said you were going to hold his feet to the fire after he’s elected.

Well, he’d do that after November 4. Before then he’d probably say with his patented smile, “Yes, you should do that.”

Dusty on August 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM

RBMN on August 9, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Typically politicians lie at about Warp 1 or 2. McCain goes Warp 9.

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM

McCain does lie. His opponent is just stating the truth. It’s about time someone starts telling the truth.

Hobbes on August 9, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Oh that is good!
Who’s in the cabinet? Graham? Specter?
Snowe and Collins need honest work.

eyesky on August 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Actually, a great idea. Imagine if a true conservative were elected President and asked them to serve in his(her) cabinet. Then fired them.

The only damn way to get them out of the Senate!

barnone on August 9, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Dusty on August 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM

His mother is alive and well and I pray she lives many more years.

The point is, his genes says he will live many more years and again, I hope that is the case. I just don’t want him in the Senate until he is his mothers age.

barnone on August 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM

This is desperation on Hayworth’s part.

McCain is going to stay conservative. McCain has always been, overall, more conservative than what some conservatives have said.

Take an example. Recently, McCain voted against Kagan to be a U.S. Supreme Court justice. In early 2009, before any primary race in mind, McCain voted against Kagan to be Solicitor General.

Phil Byler on August 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Can’t believe the heroic state that would pass and overwhelming support their anti-illegal immigration bill would turn around and re-elect McCain.

Midas on August 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM

McCain not only pushed for “AMNESTY”, but INSTANT AMNESTY!! (actually not amnesty, because they had to pay a fine, but worse – a REWARD of residency and a path to citizenship)

2006 – 90 calendar days waiting period for a Z visa

2007 – (twice proposed and defeated) A SINGLE BUSINESS DAY!

FU, McCain.

fred5678 on August 9, 2010 at 9:35 PM

The honest truth is a vote for McCain is a vote for amnesty and a vote to further Harry Reid’s and the One’s agenda. Is JD the best choice? No. Is he better than McShamnesty, in every conceivable way.

Please, Arizona. Don’t vote this imbecile in.

Darksean on August 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM

And people give us crap in South Carolina about Graham! McCain and Graham are from the same cloth. Will true Conservatives ever break through?

Storybec on August 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Looks like Arizona is McScrewed…

repvoter on August 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM

With my fellow arizonans I too will vote for Heyworth, only because right now he is the lesser of 2 evils. At least sherrif Joe backs him if only to get rid of McAmnesty.

I wish states would have a recall clause.

I just don’t want McCain to win,he is a progressive, just ask his daughter(what a loser)

concernedsenior on August 9, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Phil Byler on August 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I think you forgot your ‘sarc’ tag. If not, you’re a fool.

maverick will not being running for re-election. He says this is his last six years of a pathetic career and being the progressive that he is, he will push thru amnesty, cap and trade, and every other piece of crap legislation that his true party, the progressive/libtards, wants him to pass…because he prides himself on being ‘bi-partisan’, he’s thoughtful and a true senator, not like those racist hotheads in the house that truly represent the people, and dammit, he wants that media that abandoned him in 2008 to like him again. He will spit in our eyes, pee on our legs, and he will make the Maine Pains look like Ronald Reagan. maverick calls himself a ‘Reagan foot soldier’, but seeing what maverick has become, Ronald would have put a boot to his ass.
Thanks Arizona, for giving us this pathetic gift. Next time, please try harder.

HornetSting on August 9, 2010 at 10:08 PM

If this does not show that America is screwed, nothing does.

As AZ thrashes in the death throes of mass immigration and the resulting crime tsunami, they re-elect FATHER AMNESTY to the Senate.

The Fat Lady is on deck and warming up………. cue in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…… and bye bye USA…..

rightwingyahooo on August 9, 2010 at 10:08 PM

How can AZ be so smart and so dumb, all at once?

Schadenfreude on August 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM

saw this ad 3 times in 40 minutes tonite at my gym. jd is pounding it but it’s too late

as for mccain’s change of mind…i dislike the man intensly, but he did the honorable thing when amnesty went up in flames; he admitted his mistake.

if we only vote for perfect candidates who have never made a mistake and won’t admit when they were wrong, we’ll never make any progress in our country.

DrW on August 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM

McCain is not sorry at all. He remains dedicated to CIR, and frankly America, and particularly AZ, deserves to fry in the grease of his lies, for being so stupid and trusting him again.

McCain showed what kind of man he was when he called opponents of Social Security payments for illegals Jim Crow racists.

Anyone who votes for him, deserves what they bloody get.

rightwingyahooo on August 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM

As I said before. Our country would have been better if McCain never came back from Vietnam and one of the other men did.

Tim Burton on August 9, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Phil Byler on August 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

TARP (Slush fund mobster)
Destroying the First Amendment (evil tyrant)
Tax cut expiration (economic arsehole)
Amnesty (Nail in Coffin Benedict Arnold)

I hope he dies a painful slow death….worse than Ted.

Tim Burton on August 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM

The only reason McCain was soft on illegal immigration was in the hopes that the Hispanic vote would make him President. Since it didn’t work, he has no reason to pander anymore. I don’t see whats so hard to understand about it.

Speedwagon82 on August 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM

It’s the Primary, so I’ll be self-imposing Term Limits, therefore I’ll be voting for Jim Deakin.

Hayworth, yeah like I would ever vote fot that nutter

BDU-33 on August 9, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Many say “AZ could’ve done better.”
I submit we could’ve done better in 2008, too.

We must take an oath to never, EVER place ourselves in a situation where we can say that again.

Yellowdog12 on August 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Hayworth is creepy. So was his ad.

Murf76 on August 10, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Really bad analogy there Wes. McCain goes to the sound of the battle with his troops, joins the battle, then, in the middle of the battle, jumps the line and starts fighting with the enemy against the troops he rode in with. That’s the real John McCain, Mr. Gullett, one who joins too often with the other side.

We don’t need more Democrats in the Senate, therefore, I too will be voting for JD Hayworth. He’s nowhere near perfect, but he’s not John McCain.

AZfederalist on August 10, 2010 at 12:41 AM

AZfederalist on August 10, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Exactly, but unfortunately, I feel that Deakin will be enough of a spoiler that we will end up with 6 more years of backstabbing.

Tim Burton on August 10, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Hayworth is creepy. So was his ad.

Murf76 on August 10, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Chalk up another vote for Hayworth, who I have seen in person, BTW, and do not find to be at all, “creepy.”

What is creepy is the constant barrage of flyers I have received in the mail from McCain the Rino’s campaign, bashing Hayworth. The McCain campaign has been just one long smear against Hayworth…since before he even announced his candidacy. Couple those flyers with the endorsements of his political cronies, calling him, “Arizona’s last line of defense,” and I will have to puke in order to check the box next to his name on the ballot, if he gets the nomination. I may just have to leave that one blank.

JannyMae on August 10, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Personal story: As a teenage, I used to get bussed to his church (and McCain’s by the way). I knew who McCain was, because I knew he was a pilot who was shot down (I’ve always wanted to be a fighter pilot). McCain never had time for us kids.

JD on the other hand would spend time with us. He was a sports caster and local celeb. He had no reason to spend time with us, inner-city “thugs”. He just did. He wasn’t a politician and didn’t need our vote. He’d talk to us about local sports and talk to us about Christ.

Side note: I also never saw McCain’s daughter at the church.

JannyMae on August 10, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Don’t vote for him. I’ve never voted for McCain…NEVER. Voted for Palin once, but that was the closest I got to McCain.

I’m also no fan of Deakin, not for his politics, but because the guy is a b!tch. He got upset that some JD supporters complained to his daughters, who they didn’t know was his daughters, only that they supported Deakin. They told the girls that Deakin should get out, so McCain can retire. They went crying to daddy, who daddy went crying to the media about how bad JD’s supporters are.

If the kids are to be off limits, then the kids shouldn’t be publically supporting their father with bumper stickers on the cars. When they drive around with bumper stickers, they need to expect to be approached to complain about the politician they support.

The people didn’t know it was his daughters, had they never had the bumper stickers, they never would have been approached.

That said, I love Deakin’s politics. I wish he’d drop out so in 12 years when JD leaves the Senate, as he promised to do, he could step in. If Deakin costs JD the election, I will never vote for Deakin for anything….

Tim Burton on August 10, 2010 at 2:28 AM

J.D. Hayworth was a big-spending earmarker for his lobbyist pals including Abramoff. He never returned any of the tainted money or apologized for taking it, and never paid for the use of Abramoff’s stadium skybox for fundraising events as required by law. He was only spared ethics charges in the House by losing his safe Republican district due to his corruption. He’s also a nut case who is liable to say any stupid thing at any moment, and who repeatedly advanced “birther” theories on his radio show.
`
`
Those who support this dishonest political whore must be hoping for a personal earmark.

Adjoran on August 10, 2010 at 4:39 AM

Nope was cleared of any wrong doing in the Abramoff scandal. He did vote for a lot of big spending programs, but that was because he was a team player, like GWB and others in the GoP asked him to support their policies. That screwed him. I sure don’t see the massive complaints about Bush here. I sure do see a lot of: “Miss me yet?” comments. This isn’t to mention the massive number of GoP people we consider conservative that were supporting these types of votes.

He was cleared of any wrong-doing. Hell, McCain was chairing the investigation on the Indian tribe’s lobbying efforts with Jack and JD’s name NEVER came up.

You also can blame McCain for Hayworth taking massive gifts from Indian Tribes, because McCain purposefully left Indian Tribes out of the law limiting gifts. This also points to the fact that you don’t know what you are talking about. I’d be scared to be a reader at your blog. Are you really this un-informed?

The fact of the matter is that if JD was dirty in that scandal, McCain was just as much.

Liar. He was cleared. Also, he wasn’t in a safe district. He was originally in a safe district, but then in 2000 the district was re-districted to make it competitive. He literally gave a 10% registration lead up to help Republicans in other districts. So your claim either shows that you don’t know AZ politics or you just are making up lies to vilify him.

I point to above that he was never brought up in the IT investigation (which McCain chaired) and that McCain specifically wrote the unConstititional law, which he violated his oath to protect, to allow the Indian Tribes gift as much as they wanted. He had no reason to pay for those boxes.

He’s also a nut case who is liable to say any stupid thing at any moment,

Kinda like how Bush used to say stupid things, because he isn’t the best public speaker? Kinda like how McCain used to have hissy fits like a little b!tch (unlike that real man Stockdale) at random moments? I saw McCain throw a fit in his office when I was a delivery truck driver, because FedEx dropped a box off when he was running in 2000 that had 2 stickers on it. One for Bush and one for Keyes. He was throwing papers and dropping the F-bomb.

and who repeatedly advanced “birther” theories on his radio show.

Did you actually ever hear the show? I used to have him on till Mark Levin came on the radio and he toyed with it, joked about it, but never came out and wove a web about a conspiracy. He did point out that Obama has little documentation about anything in his life. He did point out that Obama demands that the Federal government can investigate you for nearly any reason, but he refuses to reveal basic questions about himself.

Adjoran on August 10, 2010 at 4:39 AM

Yea, I’m looking for a cash payment from him. JD may do earmarks, but McCain creates slush funds. Which is worse? I’d take JD’s earmarks over McCain’s TARP fund any day. I bet JD’s earmarks are less than 10% of McCain’s TARP slush fund. I’d also bet that JD’s earmarks are less than the cost of McCain’s amnesty.

Tim Burton on August 10, 2010 at 5:30 AM

A great defense of JD compared to McCain’s claims.

Tim Burton on August 10, 2010 at 5:31 AM

Jeff2161 on August 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM

You’ll never see Pastor. He’ll never lose his seats. The Mexicans will see to that. I know Conservative Mexicans who vote for him, solely because he is “latino”. Makes me sick to be represented by such a man.

Tim Burton on August 10, 2010 at 5:36 AM

I thought it was from his books when he was being tortured he was telling some lies…then he broke and told some truths stating “every man has a breaking point”. He also stated that at a talk at the Crystal Cathedral years ago, that he lied to the communists…but eventually was broken.
I am shocked that a politician lies…

right2bright on August 10, 2010 at 8:06 AM

mccain is old as it is but physically even older due to the abuse he took in captivity. When he gets back to washington he will know that it is his last go around and he will do as much damage to the Republic as he possibly can. If the republicans don’t take back the house in overwhelming numbers (and maybe they even need to take back the senate to avoid this scenario) mccain will be out in the open pushing for amnesty and cap and trade within weeks. He and grahm will be in the backroom with the demofascists and the cowards who are the congressional republican leadership now will be powerless to get them in line. His reelection will haunt America.

peacenprosperity on August 10, 2010 at 8:30 AM

And this is who Palin campaigned for? Tsk..tsk.

moonsbreath on August 10, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Hmmmm.

How mentally defective do you have to be to believe any of the bullcrap that has come out of McCains’ mouth in the past few months?

memomachine on August 10, 2010 at 9:48 AM

This is desperation on Hayworth’s part.

Phil Byler on August 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Only because his BUDDY, Lindsey RINO Grahamnesty (May He Burn in Hell), gave him political cover to vote ‘no’ by voting her out of committee, thus breaking the filibuster.

fossten on August 10, 2010 at 2:22 PM