Canadian Muslim on the Ground Zero mosque: Why would you do such a thing?

posted at 9:38 pm on August 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via the Right Scoop, four minutes of “hate” from tonight’s O’Reilly Factor with the author of the op-ed that Ed blogged this morning. Why would she bother weighing in against the mosque when it’s bound to earn her scorn not only from many Muslims but from the media bien-pensants who’ve been congratulating themselves over their own supposed enlightenment for weeks? For the same reason, I suspect, that Zuhdi Jasser felt compelled to oppose the mosque in his op-ed back in May: Because she really does want better relations between Muslims and non-Muslims and has a crazy hunch that insisting upon building a cultural center 400 feet or so north of Ground Zero despite wide public opposition isn’t the shrewdest way to go about it. In other words, she’s doing repair work here — and doing a mighty fine job of it, as even O’R feels compelled to acknowledge.

Comments

Islam must dominate.

Don’t these “Muslims” read their own damned Koran?

profitsbeard on August 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I do not know much about this woman, I am willing to give her all the props inthe world based on her article and her interview with Bill O. She was outstanding in slamming the idiots behind this. Again, I do not know her history but today whe was solid!

bluemarlin on August 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM

This woman is a breath of fresh air.

teacherman on August 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM

profitsbeard on August 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM

The problem with “moderate” Islam and it’s adherents is the fact that they will turn as the situation demands or risk being enemies of their own people. Moderate Islam is entirely conditions-based in my opinion.

Guardian on August 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Bloomburg is a white Liberal with a bleeding heart? Who would of thunk?

Electrongod on August 9, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Bloomberg will issue a fatwa.

the_nile on August 9, 2010 at 10:16 PM

victory mosques suck.

moonbatkiller on August 9, 2010 at 10:16 PM

bluemarlin on August 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM

You know how people often say, “But, but most Muslims are good people — they’re not fanatics! They don’t want to jihad everybody!” Raheel Raza is who they are talking about. She has death threats made against her all the time by the extremists. She believes in an Islam that is more religion, less organized genocide.

cynccook on August 9, 2010 at 10:17 PM

This is the only kind of Muslim we should have in America…those who can tolerate others and empathize with their pain.

Sadly, because the left hates her kind and reject kindness and love in all of it’s forms, we get the jihadists who dream of destroying us…just like the left does.

AUINSC on August 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM

If probing meets with butter it is safe to advance further.

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I hope she has great security…

d1carter on August 9, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Have to love the reference to white liberals while the camera cuts to footage of Bloomberg. LOL. When arabic muslim women can refer derogatorily to white liberals, the left must wince.

keep the change on August 9, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Until Debbie Schlussel gives this woman props…

SouthernGent on August 9, 2010 at 10:23 PM

She believes in an Islam that is more religion, less organized genocide.

Or perhaps she believes in an Islam that is more religion and less political movement? If I hear one or two more Moslems speak out as she has, I may need to re-evaluate my belief in unicorns, because I was convinced that both species were imaginary.

oldleprechaun on August 9, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Gay Bars and Rib Shacks will keep the Mosque from being built..

wheels on August 9, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Hopefully she’ll be alive at the end of the year.

BowHuntingTexas on August 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM

AUINSC on August 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM

In other words, apostates. Of course, what spears to be an apostate could be someone engaging in taqiyya.

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Maybe..we’ll just have to see how many fatwa’s she collects as a result of this interview.

AUINSC on August 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM

What in Raza’s background makes you think she is doing either? From what I have read, she considers herself to be a devout Muslim.

cynccook on August 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Now that I’ve thought about it some more…when I hear Osama bin Laden use the phrase “white liberals”, I’ll start to buy into the ‘taqiyya’ argument a bit more.

AUINSC on August 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Islam, itself, is malignant.

There is no moderate Islam.

Those followers of The [intolerant] Koran who think they can be moderate Muslims are self-deluded.

And as dangerous as the violent jihadists, because they lull the suckered infidels into believing that Islam is not the problem.

ISLAM IS THE PROBLEM.

And Muslims are the first and worst victims of Mohammad’s diseased ideology.

profitsbeard on August 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Until Debbie Schlussel gives this woman props…

SouthernGent on August 9, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Hehe, yeah, my sentiments, too.

What she said earlier this evening on O’Reilly was great, but, I’ll withhold praising her until I read more details. ON face value, great, but I’ve learned that there’s always something ~else~ just under the surface of Islam.

Lourdes on August 9, 2010 at 10:35 PM

And I don’t accept that there are any “moderate” Muslims. There’s no “moderate” Islam, in other words, the theology is not moderate to any degree.

Lourdes on August 9, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Tav on August 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM

cynccook on August 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM

At cynccook, a question:

IF a mosque at Ground Zero was trying to be built by “moderate” Muslims such as this, would that be O.K.? Or some other behavior, say, Sharia Law, if the Muslims associated with it were deemed “moderate” and spoke as this woman does, would that then make it agreable?

I ask because I think some need reminding that the theology that is believed in, accepted, studied, is what defines a Muslim. None of that “theology” is moderate.

Lourdes on August 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM

That was excellent. Well said and spot on. I loved the shot at Mayor Bloomberg.

I am not sure if this was posted in the headlines over the weekend, but I thought I would share this article of another Muslim woman, who lost her mother on 9/11, speaking out against the proposed mosque. This is a very powerful article. AP I hope you don’t mind me linking this article.

A Muslim victim of 9/11: “Build your mosque somewhere else”

chief on August 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM

victory mosques suck.

moonbatkiller on August 9, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Not the one NASA will build…

the_nile on August 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Raheel Raza is not new to stirring the hornet’s nest. She has had fatwas issued against her before.

cynccook on August 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM

profitsbeard on August 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I’ll keep an open mind…and I’ll keep an eye on this woman too. She claims to be a muslim and I have no reason to doubt her. I do agree that she is a special case. Nevertheless, she is not defending ‘them’ (as in those who brought down the towers or those who are building this mosque). She is defending us…and I think a friend is as a friend does.

AUINSC on August 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Her point is the same one a great many people are asking.

AnninCA on August 9, 2010 at 10:41 PM

I admire this lady for attempting to ‘evolve’ Islam. I’m just not convinced that it is possible.

Here is a fascinating link read, posted by a GreenRoom contributor I think (sorry no H/T), by author Dan Simmons and written in 2006.

It is lengthy. It is wow.

What, me worry?

GnuBreed on August 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I hope the Muslim Canadian Congress doesn’t lose support among the faithful here in Toronto and in Canada.

I suppose the “Toronto 18″ are not big fans.

AlexB on August 9, 2010 at 10:45 PM

It is lengthy. It is wow.

What, me worry?

GnuBreed on August 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Good stuff , worth reading.

the_nile on August 9, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I would hug this woman, except the fact that it would probably get a fatwa issued on her.

Blarg the Destroyer on August 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM

At cynccook, a question:

Lourdes on August 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM

If you are looking for an apologist for Islam, you’ve got the wrong girl. Of course it would not be okay for anyone to build any kind of mosque near 9/11. Obviously, the crimes committed there were done in the name of Islam, and nothing anyone says or does can change that. That being said, however, I find it amazing that some people can say that there is no such thing as a ‘moderate’ (i.e. ‘good’) Muslim. That is akin to saying, “The only good ______ is a dead _______.”
That seems silly to me. Raheel Raza is an example of a moderate Muslim. She is fighting every day to take back her religion from the dangerous fanatics who act in its name. This is the organization that she is affiliated with in Canada. Read some of their positions on the different issues.
I suppose you must be referring to “The Sword of the Prophet” when you discuss the “theology” of Islam. Any belief system can be perverted and used to further evil ends, and as a Christian, it would be pretty disingenuous of me to say that nothing bad has ever been done in the name of Christianity. Does that mean that Christianity itself, is bad? I certainly don’t think so.
Does that mean that I don’t consider radical Islam to be one of — if not — the greatest threat to the world today? Of course not. I just don’t think it is fair to tar all Muslims with the same brush. However, I think that people like Raheel Raza are, frankly, few and far between, and quickly becoming an endangered species.

cynccook on August 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Funny anecdote: There was a religious symposium at UNC-Chapel Hill (NC’s San Francisco) and one of the participants had the nerve to say this:

The Muslim scholars at the forum went one step further. They concluded that the struggle against oppression – be it slavery or discrimination – is a transforming religious experience.
“There’s a reward for this struggle, and it’s a source of purification,” said Zaid Shakir, scholar-in-residence at Zaytuna College in Berkeley, Calif. “Engaging in the struggle is an end in itself.”

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/08/09/620557/two-faiths-tackle-blacks-struggles.html#ixzz0wAUIdRQX

SouthernGent on August 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM

SouthernGent on August 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Yeah, and the reward at the end of that struggle: spiritual enlightenment, 72 virgin style!

cynccook on August 9, 2010 at 11:17 PM

How about we split the difference between Allah’s last two posts and celebrate diversity and tolerance by using the Twin Towers Mosque exclusively for Gay Marriages…

Bruno Strozek on August 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM

AUINSC on August 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM

She is in denial about what Islam is, – and what it teaches, – and who its “perfect man”, Mohammad was, – and what he declared, over and over, in the Koran and Hadiths.

Jesus: “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”

Mohamad: “Make sure the stones are neither too large, which would kill the person too quickly, nor too small, which would not kill them at all.”

A Christian is dangerous when they do not follow their faith.

A Muslim is dangerous when they do.

profitsbeard on August 10, 2010 at 12:04 AM

All well and good, but a couple of good apples doesn’t turn the whole barrel of spoiled ones into something palatable.

Midas on August 10, 2010 at 12:38 AM

As a Dutch friend of mine recounted, when talking of her surprise when her Muslim friends voted for Pim Fortuyn, their reason: “We know what the radicals can do.”

They know, and that’s why they are speaking out.

PattyJ on August 10, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Guardian on August 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Thanks for that, Guardian. I’ve been trying to come up with that description for a while; just couldn’t find the words.

Well put.

listens2glenn on August 10, 2010 at 1:06 AM

That seems silly to me.

Allow me to restate that more clearly: individual human beings can be — and some are — moderate.

BUT, the theology that defines Islam with which anyone claiming to be Muslim is involved is NOT moderate.

Therefore, it is REASONABLE to question an apparent moderately composed individual speaking moderately (or, is she really — her opinions are deemed extreme to Muslims, so consider that as to what Islam actually is and who this woman claims to be as a Muslim), who is defining herself by way of an ideology/theology that is NOT moderate.

Both can’t be moderate when one isn’t moderate, how’s that?

I didn’t focus on you with any negativity in this regard, I only attempted to point out the illogic inherent in anyone defining themself by an extreme theology as “moderate.”

Perhaps it’s more likely that this woman has THIS ONE SET OF MODERATE VIEWS (“why build a mosque at Ground Zero” and the rest of what she says) BUT IS NOT A MODERATE IN HER BELIEFS.

If she was, genuinely, “moderate” in her beliefs, she would not persist in association with Islam.

Lourdes on August 10, 2010 at 1:29 AM

That is akin to saying, “The only good ______ is a dead _______.”

And, no, what I wrote earlier is no way, no how, not hardly, not even similar to what you’re trying to claim it is there in that nasty bit.

I’m saying what I just rewrote (previous comments): IF a person is moderate in one set or series of views about a public issue, but maintains identity and acceptance in extreme beliefs (a theology that is extreme, such as Islam), then, is that person then considered moderate despite their extreme views or beliefs in extreme ideology?

There IS this thing called taqqiya in Islam that encourages members of that belief to lie when it is expedient to Islam, without condemnation of them by Islam for doing so.

I think what the woman says is great: senseless to pursue building a mosque at Ground Zero.

BUT she maintains identity as “a Muslim” which establishes her support of an extreme theology and culture. Which is not the characteristic of someone who is “moderate” overall.

Lourdes on August 10, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Don’t have the foggiest idea to what you’re referring.

And I’m not interested in studying Islam beyond what I’ve already learned about it. It’s an extreme theology and claiming it’s moderate in any degree is deceitful of others.

Lourdes on August 10, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Have always thought that Islam needs their own version of The Reformation.

coyoterex on August 10, 2010 at 1:58 AM

If you cannot abide by the tenets of a religion, you should leave it. This woman wants to fit a square peg into a round hole. Islam is what it is. I have no respect for her because she knows what she’s saying is antithetical to what is written in the book she holds dear. She knows the contents of the book cannot be changed. Therefore, she’s blowing smoke and saying stuff to win acclaim; her words are pure taqqiyah. If they were not, she would convert to Christianity and leave Islam in the gutter where it belongs (pardon me for referencing Jesse and Farrahkhan). I cannot take her seriously at all. If she believes what she’s saying, then she cannot remain a Muslim. Since she is still a Muslim, then she is practising taqqiyah.

SilentWatcher on August 10, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Sorry, too late for so-called “moderate” islamists. To me, islam is not a religion but a homocidal cult.

My idea: Put islam on severe probation for one hundred years. If islam can prove it is worthy to be part of modern civilization during that time, it might be allowed to rejoin us.

Then I will write Islam and not islam. Mosque and not mosque.

I just cannot trust this woman and it has nothing to do with the fact that she sounds exactly like Arriana Huffington.

islam is just not to be trusted. Just ask the families of those doctors who were executed in return for their good deeds in Taliban Land.

All the regime does is have Hillary issue a lame condemnation.

I say we promise destruction for each American life lost in Taliban Land. Real consequences for real bad guys in a language they can understand.

Sherman1864 on August 10, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Obviously, the crimes committed there were done in the name because of Islam

cynccook on August 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM

There’s a difference.

July 10 on August 10, 2010 at 3:22 AM

I’m not impressed.

It’s disingenuous to pretend, as she did in her article in the Ottawa Citizen, that the Koran’s command to

“Be considerate when you debate with the People of the Book”

isn’t superseded by later commands to never make friends with unbelievers, (“People of the Book” or otherwise) to offer them the chance to convert and if they refuse, to kill or enslave them. If she’s chosen to disregard those commands, I will be the first to commend her, but I cannot congratulate her for spreading the fiction that that they don’t exist.

She also said that,

“If Rauf is serious about building bridges, then he could have dedicated space in this so-called community centre to a church and synagogue, but he did not.”

This is where her attempt at moderation becomes farce. Nobody who is serious about their monolithic religion would consider the possibility of dedicating some of their space to practitioners of other religions. No one who knows anything about Islam would believe that this would, even for a moment, be a serious consideration. The assertion is laughable, and calls into question whether she’s really what she claims to be. Yes, she’s presenting herself as a critic of Imam Feisal’s extremism, but her portrayal of moderation rings so false to me, that I cannot believe that is where she’s truly coming from.

Don’t believe me? Consider the her translation of the word Arabic word fitna, which she refers to as the spreading of mischief, in particular among the non-Muslim community in which the mosque is to be built. This translation is a good deal less than accurate. Fitna refers not to Muslims causing mischief among nonbelievers, but very specifically to sewing sedition within the ranks of Islam. Muslims are forbidden from spreading dissent and mischief amongst themselves; there is no prohibition whatsoever against them doing it among unbelievers.

She also assures us that the

“Koran implores Muslims to speak the truth, even if it hurts the one who utters the truth.”

Ironically, she is again not being truthful in her translation. The Koran insists that Muslims deal honestly with each other, but it places no requirements upon Muslims to be truthful with unbelievers. A lie, when told to an infidel, is not a lie.

In a happier world, there would be such a thing as moderate Islam. In this world, however, the only way Islam can present itself as moderate is to deny essential elements of its nature, and to lie about its doctrine.

Steven on August 10, 2010 at 4:34 AM

I WANT A YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THIS INTERVIEW!

Kini on August 10, 2010 at 5:27 AM

Bill O’Reilly makes a good point. It gonna be darn hard to find a construction crew to build this place, no matter how much many they get.

NavyMustang on August 10, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Why would you do such a thing?

Dome of the Rock.

dtestard on August 10, 2010 at 7:13 AM

It doesn’t matter how many Muslims are moderate, the Muslim war against the rest of the world will continue so long as Islam exists. Building mosques on the sites of their victories is their practice. Pretending it is about friendship is a lie. Fighting and lying is what Muslims have been doing for 1400 years. Their bible commands and condones fighting and lying.

Islam is not just a religion but an imperialistic, supremacist, totalitarian political system with illiberal religious aspects. Treating it as just another religion will result in the triumph of Islam. Wake up America.

Basilsbest on August 10, 2010 at 7:41 AM

I interviewed this woman a few years ago, re: dial a fatwa

She is indeed a moderate Muslim, if that phrase has any meaning. She and Tarek Fatah remind me of the “progressive” Catholics or secular Jews I’ve known and worked with.

That is: they are culturally X Religion, educated in it and immersed in it all their lives. They are religiously observant to some extent.

But they are primarily Western enlightened liberals first.

fivefeetoffury on August 10, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Sorry, here’s the Dial A Fatwa interview

fivefeetoffury on August 10, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Basilsbest on August 10, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Of course Christians have never ever slaughtered non Christians or other Christians they deemed apostate have they?

callingallcomets on August 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM

callingallcomets on August 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Correct. Christianity does not kill apostates. Christianity allows for freedom of conscience. Christians who follow the word of Christ love their neighbors as themselves, etc etc etc. Muslims who follow the word of Mohammed kill apostates and infidels. Does this help you?

Basilsbest on August 10, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Ms. Raza:

Thank you for the articulate argument against the erection of the new Masque at Ground Zero. Building such a structure will be costly and during the permitting process a stringent review of where the money is coming from must be made public before issuing any permit.

MSGTAS on August 10, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Islam must dominate.

Don’t these “Muslims” read their own damned Koran?

profitsbeard on August 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Eh.
A religion is as it is practiced. If Christians want to ignore the directive in the Leviticus that a woman on her period must ritually sacrifice two birds on the alter before showing herself in public, I’m willing to accept that Muslims can ignore the directive to kill those who will not submit.

Count to 10 on August 10, 2010 at 9:59 AM

It all comes down to birthrates

it won’t be pretty when the Muslims reach a demographic majority

it ain’t great at times when they are the minority

what I can never understand is how liberals, here and abroad, encourage these less than ideal immigrants to get on the dole and have lots of kids

Sonosam on August 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM

It’s true, Muslims are commanded to live peacefully among the Infidel right up to the point where they poses the ability to subjugate them or crush them.

Badbrucskie on August 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM

this brave woman has committed suicide on fox news

notagool on August 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM

It all comes down to birthrates

it won’t be pretty when the Muslims reach a demographic majority

it ain’t great at times when they are the minority

Sonosam on August 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Liberals are useful idiots. As they did with Soviet communism, American (and European) lefties form an alliance with islam and believe that when the time comes the muslims will let the lefties rule them.

Actually quite the opposite would happen, those taking over whether the communists or the muslims will immediately exterminate the useful idiots, because the useful idiots have political power and that makes them dangerous. When Fidel Castro won the r-word in Cuba, the first to be executed were those that fought with Castro and naively believed that he would immediately hold elections.

slickwillie2001 on August 10, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Guardian on August 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Then it would certainly help if we actually gave them some support instead.

IF a mosque at Ground Zero was trying to be built by “moderate” Muslims such as this, would that be O.K.? Or some other behavior, say, Sharia Law, if the Muslims associated with it were deemed “moderate” and spoke as this woman does, would that then make it agreeable?

Lourdes on August 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Anyone who wants to do either is not a moderate by any definition.

Esthier on August 10, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Lourdes on August 10, 2010 at 1:33 AM

She can speak for herself. Just because she has the same books as the jidhadist, doesn’t mean she understands them the same way. Christianity has more denominations that most can even count. So clearly one holy book can be read many different ways.

Have always thought that Islam needs their own version of The Reformation.

coyoterex on August 10, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Without people like this woman, it won’t happen.

Count to 10 on August 10, 2010 at 9:59 AM

That’s not quite analogous. Christians have a new covenant with Christ following his crucifixion. Christianity never included that directive, only Judaism did. Now, I don’t understand why they stopped following, but I assume they have a reason.

Esthier on August 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM

She must be one of those fake, Uncle Tom, muslims. Like the way Clarence Thomas is not really a black man and how Sarah Palin is bad for women.

76United on August 10, 2010 at 11:28 AM