Hmmm: Palin sends out fundraising letter … for the RNC

posted at 7:36 pm on August 6, 2010 by Allahpundit

Remember four months ago when she was demanding that they remove her name from an RNC fundraising invitation to donors? Some pol-watchers at the time took that as a sign that she was trying to distance herself from the Republican brand. (“Who wouldn’t want to be sort of seen as more of an outsider and that’s how she’s positioned herself.”) Fast-forward to today and suddenly she’s signing letters on their behalf. What gives? Two theories. One: She’s turned out to be such a good soldier and is so favorably disposed to Michael Steele that she’s willing to do a fundraising favor for an organization that desperately needs one right now to prepare for the midterms. Two: She really is eyeing a presidential run and wants to build a line of political credit with establishment types who aren’t big fans of hers at the moment.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive, of course.

In a surprising move given her reputation as a political outsider, Sarah Palin is helping the Republican National Committee raise money ahead of November’s elections…

“Millions of Americans are expressing their frustration with the state of our government. I join them and seek to return our country to greatness,” reads the letter, obtained by CNN Friday.

“To accomplish this, working within our two party system, I join the RNC – the political home for “Commonsense Conservatives” who want to re-take governance – and I ask you to join me,” the former Republican vice presidential nominee’s letter continues. “Let’s bring our new brand of Reagan conservatism to our party and the country!”

Translation: I know tea partiers and grassroots conservatives aren’t thrilled with Beltway Republicans, but it’s time to be smart and dig deep. How deep? Dude:

The Republican National Committee is entering the fall election season with dire financial problems and, to an unprecedented degree, will be forced to rely upon outside groups to fund activities traditionally paid for by the national party…

With $11 million on hand as of the end of June—and about $2 million in reported debt—the RNC’s paid get-out-the-vote (GOTV) effort will be limited to just targeted House races, POLITICO has learned.

And the committee is only going to be able to spend money on those relatively inexpensive House races thanks to a $10 million line of credit that was approved at the meeting here. Until then, said one incredulous Republican, there was no money available for paid GOTV activities like mailers and automated phone calls.

How bad is it? According to Politico, the RNC’s given $4 million to the NRSC and NRCC thus far, which is as much as it can spare. In 2006, it gave … $57 million. They’re so busted financially that they’re forced to crawl to Palin, the scourge of the “establishment,” and ask her to do what she can to help get the tap turned back on. Given how deeply the disgust runs among grassroots conservatives for Steele’s antics and RNC embarrassments, I’m skeptical that even she can make a dent.

On the other hand, you don’t need much dough if your message is irresistible. “Fire Pelosi!” works for me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If it defeats Democrats, I couldn’t care less. As Gen Marshall said, there’s no limit to what you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.

ddrintn on August 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Reagan had that on a little plaque on his desk. Sarah Palin quotes it often.

To all the naysers and the “deep thinkers” on here, all this mean is Sarah wants to kick Obama and the democrat’s asses this November.

This isn’t rocket science.

Only a fool would be thinking third party for the next 4 or 5 election cycles.

I couldn’t be more disappointed in Micheal Steele if I tried, but the RNC has fired a lot of the idiots it had. I still think sending the money directly to candidates makes more sense, but the RNC still has a place. Just needs new management, and that will take some time.

One thing’s for sure. We gotta take down the Romney, Daniels, Rove, Bush, and the Progressive wing of the party. Not going to do that from the outside looking in.

Oh, and you whiners, don’t forget, this is the same Sarah Palin that went after her fellow city council member, the one who talked her into running in the first place, for corruption, and the same Sarah Palin who went after her boss, the Governor who appointed her to the AOGCC, as well as the entire state Republican Party.

You can bet when she becomes POTUS she will have little patience for corrupt GOP’ers in DC. That’s part of the reason they hate her.

This is simply Sarah looking to win big in November.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

gary4205 on August 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM

victor82 on August 6, 2010 at 8:53 PM
Every time I see Rove on Fox and Hannity calls him the “Architect” I just think, yeah the architect of the Republican’s ruin…the one who helped usher in Obama… and quitting Bush a year before he left office doesn’t distance him from Bush either…

CCRWM on August 6, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Hannity is just too chum-chum with the GOP establishment for my tastes……and my gosh he promotes Newt like he’s the 2nd coming. Rove and Bush43 left us with a castrated GOP and they are fine with that……….perpetual minority invited to their little Cocktail parties in Georgetown and their junkets to the Caymans or Europe paid for by Congress.

Progressives……..the cancer of American politics and we’re 100 years past needing chemo.

PappyD61 on August 7, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I have to agree with victor82 that the RNC asking Sarah to help HAS to be coupled with some quid pro quo that enhances her influence/control within the national party apparatus. This fits perfectly with what I see as her master objective which is to elect as many ethical common sense conservative public servants as possible. I also suspect her secondary objective is to, at the same time, enhance her position with regard to 2012 while primarily focusing on 2010. As I have said here before, she is single handedly trying to reform first the GOP and secondly move the Overton window back to the right. More power and money to her. I fully support this advisory and urge others, especially those with deeper pockets, to follow her requests. She is the ONLY one of our “fearless” leaders worth following. I love the previously uttered phrase: “she has more balls than the NBA”. So true.

shmendrick on August 7, 2010 at 1:03 AM

HANNITY: If it’s a strong conservative that gets the Republican nomination and then a tea party member runs as a third party candidate, do you have any worry about that?

PALIN: I do have a little bit of worry about that but at the same time that can be part of a healthy process, though. A third party candidate can really shore-up a Republican candidate in terms of that Republican candidate having to be very strong and sharp and debate aggressively, regarding the positions that they have taken.

A third party candidate, I think, Sean, can actually help in this process. And if nothing else a third party candidate is going to help keep the Republican Party being held accountable, too.

Source.

And then she was against the idea of forming a third party telling her conservatives to either pick R or D.

Conservative Samizdat on August 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Look, I always figured you were a complete moron, I mean you DO support Romney, a sure sign of ignorance and possible mental problems, but O-M-G!

You have ZERO reading, or listening comprehension what-so-ever. NONE.

All she is saying is competition makes you BETTER!

Why the hell do you think she has waded into all of these primaries????

Unlike that worthless, flip-flopping COWARD you support, Sarah Palin LOVES competition. She LOVES the sting of battle.

Remember, she was the captain of her CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING basketball team. They were the underdogs too. She scored the winning points on a broken foot BTW.

Everyone who competes, really competes knows tough competition only makes you better at what you are doing.

Works that way in sports, business, and YES, politics.

This is why no one will beat her in 2012. She understands how this all works, and isn’t afraid of it. The others, especially Romney, are.

I swear, you people from the Cult of Willard are too silly to ever take seriously.

gary4205 on August 7, 2010 at 1:16 AM

I, too, am a Palin fan who won’t give to the RNC. Has nothing to do with Steele and everything to do with the failure to hold to their platform when they had the votes in 2000-2006. (The only time they had both houses and the Presidency in my adult lifetime!) We wanted school vouchers, they voted for Bush-Kennedy! We wanted a secure border, they voted for amnesty! Then there was McCain-Feingold! They got us all into this mess by becoming Democrat lites. And they never stood up for the party platform in front of the press. WIMPS! Therefore, they never get any money from me regardless who asks – even Sarahcuda.
However, I have sent money to individual candidates and suggest you all who feel as I do, do the same:
Angle, Bachmann, Hayworth, Haley, Rubio, etc. Don’t send through a third party, just go to their campaign websites. That way your more assured that none of the money goes to the RNC.

Christian Conservative on August 6, 2010 at 11:31 PM

THIS

karenhasfreedom on August 7, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Norwegian on August 7, 2010 at 2:40 AM

That is very nice.

Cindy Munford on August 7, 2010 at 2:44 AM

I got the letter, and within 3 minutes had a check in the mail. There is not ONE other R that has prompted me to do that in two years.

leftnomore on August 7, 2010 at 3:04 AM

I think the RNC and Michael Steele has been an embarrassment from the beginning of that marriage. They reportedly have no cash and come October the RNC has the capabilities to donate a lot of cash in a short period of time to help Republicans get over the hump.

I don’t think Sarah Palin is doing this to get points from the Beltway. She has a vested interest in helping the RNC raise money. Last time I checked the people she endorsed are doing pretty well for the most part and I know there are a few candidates that piss off the conservatives but all in all she’s been right more than she’s been wrong.

Palin’s own future aspirations aside, If these candidates she endorse end up losing close elections because the RNC is tapped out then the ability to repeal Obamacare and protect the Bush tax cuts will be severely hindered. And when that happens the stuck-up Beltway Republicans will blame her because she helped and at times single-handedly got these people nominated.

Chrisin206 on August 7, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Sarah know 3rd party’s don’t win national elections and is trying to direct the so called tea party people toward the Republican party. If she helps the rnc with fund raising maybe she can get them to fund some of the conservatives who are running even against established republicans. Even the tone deaf rnc must realize the anti incumbent mood in the country. The Won kicks sand in the R’s faces every time he’s in front of a camera and there isn’t any push back. There needs to be some national ads from the rnc and they need some money to do this.

Kissmygrits on August 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM

This third party business was in a very specific context.

The Republicans in NY screwed up and nominate Scuzzf^*r, and Hoffman stayed in the race on the Conservative Party line on the ballot.
That has existed for years.
She endorsed that move to straighten out the GOP.
That is what she was talking about, not a national third party. Third party lines in local elections can force the local GOP to recognize the conservative voters there, rather than hand picking connected RINOs and ex-Democrats.

She has never been for a National Third Party.

Glad I could clear that up for you all.

Brian1972 on August 7, 2010 at 10:50 AM

and ask her to do what she can to help

Key word there is ASK. Seems to me a story way back when that they used her name without asking. Maybe wrong on this but it is a third option in addition to your 2.

Herb on August 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Another brilliant move by Palin!

Proud Rino on August 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM
What’s the problem with it? If it doesn’t work, no biggie. If it does work, she’ll earn some favors from well-positioned people and gain some positive buzz for it. It’s a no-brainer.

Allahpundit on August 6, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Well said, Allah..

callingallcomets on August 7, 2010 at 11:15 AM

After two years of being dissed by anonymous Beltway GOP suits and “consultants” they are now kissing her ring….what sweet revenge….

callingallcomets on August 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Just arrived. Yes, I guess I’ll send something though lately I havn’t been. What is this magic she weaves? LOL!

jeanie on August 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM

As long as she’s supporting Backdoor John McCain, she and the RNC can drop dead. Not a dime. Might as well throw money out the window.

austinnelly on August 7, 2010 at 1:47 PM

This shows Palin is pragmatic. It doesn’t help the country to just throw fits. You have to work within our imperfect system, while at the same time trying to make it better.

Good for her.

petunia on August 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Send your $$ directly to candidates you like if thats all you feel comfortable doing but know this: if you withhold your support from the RNC they won’t be able to provide last minute funding where it’s desparately needed. Now that Sarah’s basically guiding that operation you don’t want one of our candidates to fail because of some spite or purity test failure by some current or former Republican leader.

When Sarah started she found her Alaskan Republican party beset with corruption. She worked to reform it single handedly. Despite much success in this regard she continues to work on this important effort. She is now trying to bring such reform to the national party. Don’t let the mistakes from the RNC’s past prevent you from helping her to reform not only the RNC but the Republican party in every part of our country. This is vital to our future not only as a party but as a country.

shmendrick on August 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I’m a Romney supporter, but I know Sarah Palin is a Patriot. She is helping America in the fight of our lives.
I don’t care what her ambitions are. She has my support as well.

scotash on August 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM

scotash on August 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM
Thankyou!

dhunter on August 7, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Not inclined to read the anguish from the those who in spite of her never saying it, always told themselves she should/would mount a third party challenge to those RINOs NOR the sudden accolades from the people who have wanted her to be a tool for their boring white bread male candidates, raise money and take the hits will their guy displays all his gravitas.

katiejane on August 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM

katiejane on August 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Not sure I get your point. Sarah has been going around endorsing candidates who are very much NOT RINO’s. She’s trying her best to rid the party of such types and those who mainly just want to feed at the gov. trough as opposed to those who are there to be public servants. She has also been a role model for other conservative women who have responded likewise in droves all across the country.

shmendrick on August 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM

shmendrick on August 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I’m not criticizing Palin. I agree that Palin is not a RINO supporter but some of eher supporters seem to demand that every choice she makes must be the farthest right pick or they see her as a traitor. IMO her goal is to make the GOP more conservative – but she also wants the GOP to win the important elections – not fall on the sword of purity.

katiejane on August 8, 2010 at 10:22 AM

katiejane on August 8, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I agree completely. Go Sarah!

shmendrick on August 9, 2010 at 1:16 AM

I don’t think voters on either side of the aisle are too prone to give to the national parties, unless they are the type to “buy” influence.

People are giving directly. It’s a fairly common site now to see e-mails soliciting donations, and I doubt many people care, one way or another.

AnninCA on August 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Here’s reality. The RNC won’t get any real cash until Palin is the 2012 nominee. That’s the truth.

They need her now and they know it. Damn she’s good.

xax on August 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM