Anderson Cooper to Hitchens: C’mon, you’ll pray on your deathbed

posted at 8:16 pm on August 6, 2010 by Allahpundit

Last night was the sneak preview, tonight you get the whole shebang. I won’t spoil the surprise of his response to Cooper except to say that it’s not quite the unqualified denial you might expect. (A follow-up question: Would a deathbed conversion motivated by nothing more than fear of death qualify one for salvation?) That’s at the end of the clip; on the way there, he talks about missing his mother’s phone call before she killed herself and the dispiriting tedium of chemotherapy. Oh, and some health advice from Hitch in honor of the occasion: Drinking and smoking in excess might not be the path to longevity. Which is ironic, because after watching this, I feel like I need to do both.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

nagee76 on August 8, 2010 at 3:55 AM

@nagee76
Ha, I HAVE gotten in Muslims faces about it before. Right after 9/11, but at the time I was a Christian.

Hitchens himself very nearly lost his life in Beirut tearing down signs bearing swastikas that the local muslim political party had put up in the streets.

But since you’re feeling like challenges… I’d like to see YOU go into a crowded Mosque proclaiming your belief in your god or go to Pakistan or Afghanistan and spout your religious dogmas. See how long YOU last.

I’m glad you appreciated the humor of my satanist comment though… I think…

SauerKraut537 on August 8, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on August 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM

You’re VERY funny Bizarro, but you fail to answer any comments except to try to belittle the person debating. Very telling.

I may have an abrasive style when I question these beliefs but your failure to correctly address my points tells us all much.

Keep up the good work with the ad homimem attacks.

SauerKraut537 on August 8, 2010 at 10:38 AM

SauerKraut537 on August 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Great at Googling, like I said…
Look back you little genius, did I say he was a Christian, or even a man of faith?
No, you can’t even follow a simple line of posts…you tried to sway people with a weak post suggesting Einstein did not believe in God…I showed you that he did.
Now, you little genius, show me where I even hinted he was a Christian?
You won’t, you can’t, every post you make, it makes you look more silly…keep posting, you are F’in brilliant.
…but thanks for backing up my claim with your silly Googling, and showing us you were, well let’s be nice, you were just mistaken, yeah, that’s it, mistaken.
One of the few who throws out an argument, then Googles to prove themselves wrong…you take all the fun out of it.

right2bright on August 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Keep up the good work with the ad homimem attacks.

SauerKraut537 on August 8, 2010 at 10:38 AM

LOL

You call me a Nazi after irresponsibly misrepresenting my mindset; I point that out to you, and not only do you not give me the apology I deserve, you talk about my personal attacks on you instead! You’re a real piece of work. You want to be respected because you believe you’re respectable, while not having any desire to return the favor. This shows you to be a delusional, whiny loser.

Some of my family members behave the same way you do. There’s a certain topic I haven’t brought up with my father since 1997, but every time we talk, he brings it up and accuses me of being the one who does it! And every time I remind him of this, he admits I’m right. But you know what? It hasn’t stopped him at all; his memory is short, and it’s the same cycle, over and over and over.

I stopped caring about talking to him in 2000 because I finally realized it’s absolutely pointless to talk to him on his level, as I can see he’s never going to get out of that circle. You’re no different.

Bizarro No. 1 on August 8, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Hitch won’t believe. He has his principles and he’ll stand by them.

Allahpundit on August 6, 2010 at 8:27 PM

What principles would those be?

Okay, but then, as I said earlier, we can pretty much dispense with most of Christian theology then. Instead of following the commandments, attending church regularly, etc, just ask Jesus to remember you on your deathbed and you’re set.

Allahpundit on August 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Living apart from and in defiance of God and His Commandments for a lifetime because one was planning on a deathbed (if one is not killed unexpectedly) conversion would be the plan of a madman.

Serious sin over a long period of time warps a person, and renders them hardened, layered with years of vice, and seriously hampers a soul’s ability to arise above it with a contrite and open heart at any time, let alone at the end.

While the grace and mercy of God can reach ANY person at ANY time – it would be the height of juvenile folly to make that one’s plan.

Also, if one converts, deathbed or not, motivated through fear of hell, that is acceptable to Almighty God. As many posters here have rightly pointed out, this was the state of the Good Thief.

It is called “imperfect contrition”, and the mercy of God and His Fatherly love is very apparent in accepting this human, flawed, yet real repentence, even though motivated more, or even entirely, out of fear than love.

“Perfect contrition” is when one repents because they have offended God, and are sorry out of pure love; because they have turned away from the Father who is “all good and deserving of all my love.” (from the Act of Contrition)

Most conversions and acts of repentence are a mix of the two, and only God himself and the soul with whom He is communicating know the answer to that.

Here is the Act of Contrition, a prayer said by millions of Christians every day:

O my God, I am heartily sorry
for having offeneded Thee.
And I detest all of my sins,
because I fear the loss of Heaven
and the pains of hell,
but most of all because they offend Thee,
my God,
Who art all good and deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve,
with the help of Thy grace,
to confess my sins,
to do penance,
and to amend my life.

tigerlily on August 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Allahpundit on August 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM

A simple concept, becomes complex to a person who doesn’t want to accept that idea.
If you want to believe that (but you don’t, you see the fallacy in your debate), but if you want to state that to keep from believing, that is your right…in fact that is your defense.
Basically you are saying, I don’t understand or don’t want to, so I will throw out a ridiculous argument. That’s what atheists do, they throw out a concept that isn’t true (and they know it) just to divert from the real argument.
It keeps them from facing the truth…they know if they begin to understand, then they will begin to believe, and they are not ready to believe. They fear the unknown, not an uncommon reaction.

right2bright on August 9, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
—-Epicurus

SauerKraut537 on August 7, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Why do people get so hung up on the existence of evil? To eradicate evil would be to take away free will — since obviously we can’t have people making wrong choices. God is not a Democrat!

What kind of a world would it be if people weren’t allowed to screw up, to do wrong? What kind of a world would it be where bad things like earthquakes and floods never happened? We would be like God’s pet hamsters, idly passing the time while our master gives us food and water on a regular schedule. And who wants seven billion hamsters? No… we are more like God’s children. He knows that handling adversity on our own is the only thing that will make us stronger and wiser. Clearly he’s interested in seeing what we can do with this old world he’s given us. Maybe he thinks we’re capable of building a “shining city on a hill”.

joe_doufu on August 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Okay, but then, as I said earlier,
we can pretty much dispense with most of
Christian theology then.
Instead of following the commandments,
attending church regularly, etc,
just ask Jesus to remember you on your
deathbed and you’re set.

Allahpundit on August 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM

That’s real cute, but what you are missing
is the fact that our faith depends on God’s
infinite mercy NOT on our ability to do
churchy stuff.

The church goer’s mantra throws off any
non-believer into believing that it
requires doing churchy stuff.

Mcguyver on August 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Right2bright

Let’s see what you said…

You were quoting Einstein the other day…until I pointed out that he was a believer…so now it is onto Sagan.
You seem to have a problem finding just the right “objective” person to support you.
So you have a pretty good scientist, Sagan saying he doesn’t believe…and one of, if not, the greatest scientific minds of all times saying he does.
Well, you can pick and choose…but you probably hurt Einsteins feelings….

right2bright on August 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM

You “pointed out to me that he was a believer”… While it’s not a concrete declaration that he was a Christian or a Jew, it seems to imply that he was either Christian or Jewish.

You tell me what you meant then. So you were saying he was a deist at best then, or did you mean he believed in theistic gods?

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM

joe_doufu on August 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM

the irony of your position Doufu is that the heaven you’re trying to attain is just the sort of place you eschew for THIS world that we live in.

Isn’t heaven supposed to be a utopia for good believers? A place where nothing ever goes wrong or any want or desire is granted? A place where nobody ever dies or gets hurt or makes a bad choice? A place where we all get to sing praise upon he that made us?

Sounds more like hell to me.

this life is all we KNOW exists Doufu. Get over it and get on with life. Constructing fairy realms and afterlife events in your head wastes the time you have here.

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on August 8, 2010 at 4:51 PM

You want an apology? I don’t recall ever saying anything untoward to you until you piped up when I was in a conversation with someone else, and then it was you “putting me in my place”, or attempting to.

I tell you what, you apologize and then I’ll apologize because the way I see it, it was you who swooped in to attack me on something I said to someone else.

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on August 8, 2010 at 4:51 PM

You know what Bizarro, nevermind, i’ll just apologize. You can if you wish, or not if you don’t, but for whatever its worth. I don’t mean, nor want to be a #$%^.

I get frustrated with belief is all. It’s such a shame that people spout religious dogma without thinking it through and it gets under my craw.

Too often, we humans get into a rut mentally and we repeat like a mantra the sayings and beliefs we were raised in.

All I’m asking is that people rethink things. Does it really make sense that a god would create the entire universe just so this one little planet can sustain life? Does it not occur to others that, as Sagan said in his book “Contact”,

“If it IS just us, it seems like an aweful waste of space.”

Instead, we have people who are thinking small and jsut living their lives out in the belief that if they’re good in life that Jesus/God is going to “reward” them with an eternity of bliss. And if they don’t live well, they’re going to go to a hell of unending torture.

It just doesn’t make any sense cosmically for that to be the case.

forgive me for being an ass about it but all i’m asking is that people…

THINK ABOUT IT

Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Religion dooms us to never ending conflict as it pits man against man on the most important topic we know… Our afterlife.

I’d like to say live and let live but unfortunately, some people can’t do that (happens to be the Muslims right now) so we must fight the inanity of religion.

I’m just glad people are starting to wake up.

Atheism is on the rise in America thankfully.

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I don’t know. Is it? If that’s so unpleasant, then why do you think Heaven is like that?

joe_doufu on August 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I get frustrated with belief is all. It’s such a shame that people spout religious atheistic dogma without thinking it through and it gets under my craw.

Too often, we humans get into a rut mentally and we repeat like a mantra the sayings and beliefs we were raised in read on a website somewhere.

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM

With some minor edits, a perfectly serviceable blog comment there.

joe_doufu on August 9, 2010 at 12:07 PM

joe_doufu on August 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM

So what do you see heaven as then Joe? I was a Christian for 40 of my 42 years. It was always said to me that it was a place of bliss. A place where we were rewarded for good behavior and living a clean life as Jesus taught us.

The bible tells us it’s a place where we sing the praises of our creator day and night into infinity… It’s this place where we’re rewarded with all the riches that we were told while on this earth to not go after, but to seek righteousness and be “godly”. So on the one hand we’re told to eschew material things in this life, but then we’re told that heaven is beautiful and glorious and built out of the most precious and expensive materials and we’re rewarded with that for good behavior… Like Earth is some kind of prison.

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 12:43 PM

With some minor edits, a perfectly serviceable blog comment there.

joe_doufu on August 9, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Cute Doufu… I get that a lot of my arguments cut both ways but use a little common sense will you?

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Sheesh, I meant exactly what I posted…you chose a quote to try to show that Einstein did not believe in a God, I threw out quotes showing you he did.
I, and neither do you, know how deeply his religious experience was…but towards the end of his life, he definitely reflected differently. He did not like organized religion, but that is different from no believing in God. He saw that “order” was not an accident.
So take your little “tricky” questions somewhere else, religious experience is more then “if not this, then that”…an atheist would not understand, Einstein did.
I was not defining Einstein, I was correcting your mis-information….so to use your amateur attempt at changing the direction of the post, here: Were you being deceiving at best, or were you lying?

right2bright on August 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Right, that’s what I was getting at. Crying out, “Okay, I believe, just don’t send me to hell!” isn’t exactly the robust affirmation of faith one would think is necessary for salvation. If it is, then dispatch with the gospels and all Christian teachings.

Allahpundit on August 6, 2010 at 8:32 PM

“Well there is that parable about the last worker in the fields getting the same remuneration,” but what would Jesus know?

My problem is with the word “conversion.”

I suspect Chris Hitchens has long believed in God -he (like Lucifer) just didn’t accept His authority. Why else would such an inarguably intelligent (not wise) man spend so much of his life fighting someone who he believed did not exist?

Even Satan “believed” in God but would not serve and, like Hitch, was bold enough to tempt Him. Hitch may find himself saved yet!

Don L on August 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM

right2bright on August 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I chose a quote showing that Einstein was at best a deist. The quote showed that very clearly and then you came back with saying he believed… I mistook believed, because most people when they say they believe they mean believe in a theistic god.

We all get so tied up in defending our beliefs that we sometimes misunderstand each other. My bad, you happy now?

So since you didn’t answer my question and since I answered yours plus gave you an apology of sorts, did you mean believe as in believe in god or believe as in believe in theistic gods?

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Yes. Refer to the second thief on the cross next to Jesus. Problem is, you’re not guaranteed a deathbed. You might get the grill of a Dodge Ram and never get the chance.

Beo on August 9, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Hitch won’t believe. He has his principles and he’ll stand by them.

Allahpundit on August 6, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Wow. I sure hope he disappoints you.

kg598301 on August 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Allahpundit on August 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Now the natural man doesn’t receive the things of God’s Spirit, for they are foolishness to him, and he can’t know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

kg598301 on August 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM

kg598301 on August 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Another way to look at it is this:

For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the all of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father. (Mosiah 3:19)

Conservative Samizdat on August 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Conservative Samizdat on August 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Wow, you’re quoting LDS scripture to a bunch of Christians?

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Wow, you’re quoting LDS scripture to a bunch of Christians?

SauerKraut537 on August 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Hot Air is religiously diverse crowd. People can quote from the religious text of their faith on here.

If a Jew wants to quote from the Talmud or Hindu quoting from Rig Veda or a Christian quoting from the Bible or a Muslim quoting from the Koran, people shouldn’t have a problem with that.

Conservative Samizdat on August 10, 2010 at 1:57 AM