Video: Noted liberal bummed that most Christians aren’t as liberal as she is

posted at 9:14 pm on August 4, 2010 by Allahpundit

After all the Anne Rice “quotes of the day” lately, I felt like I owed you a clip. If you’re pressed for time, skip ahead to four minutes in and digest her response to Behar’s question of whether (a) she believes abortion is the (premeditated) taking of a human life and (b) whether that means she’d attempt to legally limit “choice” for other women. Rice’s answers: Yes and no. Which … is unfathomable to me. If you don’t think abortion is murder and want to keep it legal for that reason, okay; if you do think it’s murder and want to make it illegal for that reason, okay to that too. But how do you conclude that it’s murder and yet that we should keep it legal? Her argument is that you can never eliminate the practice, i.e. that the laws are “unenforceable,” so why bother criminalizing it? To which I say, you can never eliminate murder between adults either … so why bother criminalizing it? She seems almost indifferent to deterring, however marginally, a practice she herself appears to equate with murder. Exit question: Dude?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oldnuke on August 4, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Dude, Pam would mop the floor with Lestat. I couldn’t stand that whiny tool. She was making necrophilia lame before Twilight was even a twinkle in the author’s eye.

austinnelly on August 5, 2010 at 12:42 AM

So, how’s she planning on making a living now? Anti Christianity cards?

Kissmygrits on August 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Anne Rice: “I quit making sense altogether….now I just make stuff up as I go along.”

cthulhu on August 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM

The next MSLSD loser on tv or Airhead America revival 12 radio host?

Ann Rice is just upset becaused she has reached the TWILIGHT of her career.

dthorny on August 5, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Monica on August 5, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Ah…innocent sister was right? Interesting! She told me all this as we sadly waited with other twihards for an hour to see Eclipse. *sigh*

The things I do to bond with my family…

Bee on August 5, 2010 at 12:54 AM

austinnelly on August 5, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Hey that’s the longstanding vampire crush of my youth you’re calling a whiny tool! Shove off! ;)

Bee on August 5, 2010 at 12:57 AM

man what’s the point of getting in the very first comment with a witticism, if AP is going to just erase it.

The comment was “Die Vampire Queen, Die”. Which is a joke any Simpsons devotee should relish. at least as much as the incessant faith-baiting that AP promulgates.

rayra on August 5, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Sounds like Rice fell prey to the leftist framing of issues in the dominant culture. Maybe it’s the failure in some churches to keep their own houses clean and teach with the subtle arguments certain people need. I don’t really know.

She gave a dumb answer to an appealing but flawed argument. Murder is not an unreasonable moral stamp on many abortions, but the physical situation and medical nature make a difference. With the disgusting exception of partial birth abortion, it won’t be viewed the same. It’s doubtful people who try to hire hit-men to eliminate their enemies turn to their doctors first. The murder argument fails to convince and the differences give leftists ammunition. The question for people to answer is “would I like it if that was done to me, in that stage of my development?” Think of all the future experiences, accomplishments, loves, cares, and memories — prematurely erased from existence. The other problem is the corrosive effect of official approval — with the state-funded death mills that go with it.

To be fair to Rice, her novels about Christ got very positive reactions. People remark on the degree of historical research. Maybe she saw the light, only to age into senile rage?

It is curious that she moved to California only 6 months before Katrina. Given that Cheney had the remote control and Rice was tipped-off, it must be a Halliburton plot to trick people back to Christianity. ;-)

Feedie on August 5, 2010 at 4:18 AM

Rice’s answers: Yes and no. Which … is unfathomable to me.

Probably because you’re attempting to think of it in rational terms.

Cylor on August 5, 2010 at 5:21 AM

She heard that if she showed up that wine and crackers would be served accompanied by organ music but hadn’t figured having to grow up, act responsible, and respecting others might end up being part of the deal. A hyped career now so washed up that her being featured in an upcoming Parade payola tabloid is now practically inevitable.

“I’m ready for my close-up Mr. De Mille.”

viking01 on August 5, 2010 at 6:00 AM

Christianity is not a church. Christianity is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and His Word, the Bible. If you rely on “The Church” as Christianity, you will always be disappointed and disillusioned. “The Church” is made up of people who are not perfect and who sin. Jesus Christ did establish the “local church”, a body of believers who meet together to study His word and to worship Him, but he never established “The Church”(denominations…Catholic, Baptist, Methodist….) Whenever you put “The Church” and it’s teachings above the Word of God and Jesus Christ, you will be disappointed and disheartened. Case in point.

flytier on August 5, 2010 at 6:22 AM

Ann’s obviously trying to use the Mario Cuomo straddle on abortion. Which probably plays better in New York than it does in Louisiana…

jon1979 on August 5, 2010 at 6:23 AM

About 1997 or so Anne Rice bought a building on or near Jackson Ave. in NOLA to display various religious symbols all jumbled together like a combination museum and freak show. To make money, of course. The local paper did a sappy write-up about it with photos of various oglers gawking at a Madonna statue here and whatever else displayed over there etc. as though those were so many shrunken heads or malformed creatures featured in an oddities road show.

My opinion of Anne Rice hasn’t changed since then. At the time I figured she was another creepy over-hyped fluff author totally lacking in respect for others and as lacking in class as a Clinton. No wonder she couldn’t handle religion. She showed up expecting to be the star and eventually left disappointed.

viking01 on August 5, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Dear Anne Rice,

We need to meet.

Yours,

God

fossten on August 5, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Having publicly ‘walked away” from Christianity, it must annoy Ms. Rice to no end that she is constantly aware that God will never “walk away” from her.

Trafalgar on August 5, 2010 at 8:15 AM

flytier on August 5, 2010 at 6:22 AM

Amen

Osis on August 5, 2010 at 9:19 AM

“I’m not mean, I’m a thousand years old and just lost track of my moral code.”

ZK on August 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Where’s Blade when you need him?

crazy_legs on August 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I couldn’t care less about her stupid books, and I don’t watch her stupid movies. Rice was quite obviously never a Christian, nor a component of the Body of Christ. She started this on a lark, and when she didn’t get surrounded by leftist Christians (possibly stupidly believing that the so-called “evangelical left” is typical of Christianity), she got disappointed that it wasn’t the party she thought it would be. As far as I’m concerned, she’s just a stupid, ugly old woman, a hack and someone that’s intent on going to Hell, where she belongs.

Virus-X on August 5, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Anne Rice makes a huge public announcement that she is leaving organized Christianity shortly after the Twilight craze hit the public. Interesting.

V-rod on August 5, 2010 at 3:41 PM