Fun with Pelosi: Did Jesus have a right to life from the moment of conception?

posted at 6:59 pm on August 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

A golden moment via CNS News, which is usually content to corral Democrats in the halls of Congress and videotape their deer-in-the-headlights responses to constitutional questions about the ObamaCare mandate. They’re after bigger game here, and while normally I’d be irritated to see religious questions tossed at a pol, Madam Speaker invited this with her recent public disquisition about the Word made Flesh. Simple question: When, precisely, does she think the Word actually became Flesh, and would it have been okay to vacuum him out of the holy womb in the name of “choice” before that moment? Oddly enough, she decides that that’s a question best left for discussion at church — unlike the “Word made Flesh” stuff, I guess. It’s nice to know that if the GOP fails to recapture the House this fall, we’ll still have the occasional uncomfortable Pelosi presser to look forward to.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Allahpundit

Dude. Give it a REST. That talking point is so old, tired, and lame. You see Pelosi waving the gavel as a ‘nice’ thing? You’re either a fake or you’re a lefty.

fossten on August 3, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Liberal hypocrite.

ladyingray on August 3, 2010 at 11:49 PM

fossten on August 3, 2010 at 11:21 PM

AP, whad up with all these new posters? Can we get an open enrollment? Pretty please?

ladyingray on August 3, 2010 at 11:52 PM

sharrukin on August 3, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Look at the headline at the top. It starts with a hypothetical (and I would say absurd) question. All I did was throw out another one. You responded. And I threw out another hypothetical (and again absurd) example of this kind of questioning.

I would think that Stalin and Hitler were both innocent at birth and I was curious to see the reaction here to a playful point.

I think the abortion debate here in the US is pathetic and I don’t agree with pro-lifers who want legislation outlawing abortion under any circumstances and I don’t agree with pro-choice advocates who think you can have an abortion right up until the last seconds before natural birth would have occurred.

Your assertion that the definition of a conservative is someone who is pro-life is BS.

Your assertion that anyone who is not pro-life is automatically leftist is BS.

I consider myself a conservative…. I worked for the Conservative Party and my work was sponsored by well known Thatcherites. As a young person I was present when Thatcher emerged from her flat on Flood Street as PM and I was active until the end of Major’s Premiership. I live in the US and I have always been a US citizen.

My views on abortion are very close to Thatcher’s:

“If you deny that personal responsibility you are denying the religious basis of life—that’s the difference between me and a Marxist. The values by which you and I live are not values given by the State.”

Oh my… according to Thatcher you might have Marxist values.

She voted for abortion with limits. Thatcher felt that a fetus does not take on the characteristics of a human being at conception. I can agree with that.

I have seen enough of your posts to know that you are a reflexive leftists or a libertarian if in fact there is any functional difference between those two.

sharrukin on August 3, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I disagree with some of things you and others think are mandatory for being conservative. I think the tea party is a load of bunk because it is essentially reactionary. I think people should be charged for the services they receive from their government and that in times of peace budgets should be balanced and debts paid off where possible. I think calling for tax cuts when deficits are high is irresponsible. Raise taxes and people will start wanting reduced services. Since Reagan we have been having both ways (low taxes & lots of services & toys). It’s just plain irresponsible to me. It does not make me a leftist or a libertarian. I’m still waiting for the emergence of genuine conservative thought here. I don’t see much but I like Ed’s consistency and admire his not being hypocritical on many issues where right wingers are blatantly hypocritical and I like Allah’s sense of mischief.

I have a few views about you too. I try to stick to whatever issue is being debated and sometimes fail. Itry to avoid labeling other’s because it is a pretty good sign you can’t handle a genuine debate about something (like you). I often don’t write anything unless I strongly disagree with the original post or think a comment deserves a robust rebuttal so I may come across as a contrarian here and so what if I do. In the case of this post, I was just stirring up some sh&t and you popped out.

I haven’t told you everything about me so don’t go filling in the gaps yourself. Your record this evening for getting stuff wrong is already well established.

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Pelosi: “Hay-sus? We need the illegals to vote this November to protect my job so we will grant amnesty ASAP….huh?, Oh, that Jesus”.

dthorny on August 4, 2010 at 1:07 AM

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM

That sounded so sincere. I almost believed it. What about you filling in the gaps yourself? Will that suffice?

I do recall the comment you made regarding Israel. Comparing them to Nazi’s IIRC…

Those Nazis were terrible… annexing land from their neighbors, policies based on race, occupation of land.

lexhamfox on July 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Still maybe you weren’t the loon you seem to be.

You and Beck try to frame the progressive movement as being left wing or or socialistic and it isn’t. It had some bad ideas and is linked to some of our bad history but the movement also produced America’s greatest third party and was critical in making America the great country it is today.

lexhamfox on February 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM

BBC remains the world’s most trustworthy news source. Name one better… Hot Air?

lexhamfox on June 14, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Iran is open to more discussions… a fact.
lexhamfox on June 15, 2008 at 2:06 AM

Good riddance. The sooner he is out of office, the better. If only he listened more earlier we could have avoided the worst aspects of this adventure. Now he is trying to claim he was misunderstood. Credit to McCain and others who told him to change policy. They are the real heroes. Not Bush.

lexhamfox on December 8, 2008 at 10:12 PM

there are plenty of comments advocating extermination of the Palestinians here.
lexhamfox on January 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I would urge you to read a decent book about fascism rather than Goldberg’s made up nonsense. Fascism was a direct reaction to bolshevism and was very much a right wing movement by any fair measure. We do not have fascism in America nor are we on the road to fascism.

lexhamfox on July 20, 2010 at 11:14 AM

OMG… you mean Iran has a three kiliton nuclear device? Start digging everyone.

lexhamfox on June 23, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Well it is amusing. We have a tax protest movement come about when taxes have gone down for the vast majority of Americans. Most of the tax protesters think their taxes have gone up. It is amusing.

lexhamfox on April 16, 2010 at 11:39 PM

The IDF has the coordinates for all the schools operating under the UN. That is why people shelter at those locations. Using 120mm shells or mortars to return fire does seem excessive given that the Hamas mortar team was operating on a nearby street according to the witnesses.

lexhamfox on January 6, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Cronkite was a patriot and a great reporter even if you disagree with his reporting on Tet.

lexhamfox on July 18, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Guess not. A British Conservative? What a joke that is.

As I said you are a reflexive leftist, regardless of what you call yourself. If there is any difference between you and a leftist its hard to spot.

I don’t think I got much wrong about you!

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Guess not. A British Conservative? What a joke that is.

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 1:10 AM

My vote is on ruling class ignorant leftist.

Inanemergencydial on August 4, 2010 at 1:24 AM

My vote is on ruling class ignorant leftist.

Inanemergencydial on August 4, 2010 at 1:24 AM

I am thinking of David Cameron of the Conservative Party grovelling to the Turkish Prime Minister.

A ruling class leftist is right, regardless of what they call themselves.

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 1:33 AM

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Yeah… I have also been called a fascist, a zionist, an imperialist, and racist yank, a capitalist pig, an orientalist, an anti-semite…

The ‘ruling class’ one isn’t new either. Nobody has rolled that one out since I came across a NUM official at a pub in the 80′s.

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Again, I ask, is the excommunication forthcoming?

NoLeftTurn on August 4, 2010 at 1:43 AM

She already avoided that question… Twice. Next…

RalphyBoy on August 4, 2010 at 1:50 AM

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 1:40 AM

I know you think you are daring and original, and no one knows what to make of you. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have read everything you believe in Newsweek and The New York Times. They could sue you for copywrite infringement.

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM

…and as much as you might dislike British Conservatives they are taking bold steps necessary to bring Britain’s finances back into order (cutting spending & raising taxes).

That’s real conservative fiscal policy. Attacking deficits on all fronts.

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 2:08 AM

That’s real conservative fiscal policy. Attacking deficits on all fronts.

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Yeah, because Britain is just the international standard in fiscal responsibility. Drunken sailors is what first springs to mind. They have no money, and no lenders willing to foot the bill, so I guess maybe they will cut the spending? They haven’t descended to the level of Greece yet, so there is that!

Is that why Cameron is slobbering over the Muslims? Does he think they will bail them out?

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 2:39 AM

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Actually Britain will be fine. They have been through worse but they are addressing their problems honestly. Britain will pay it’s own way out. I think it is more prudent than borrowing.

As for ‘slobbering over the Muslims’ the comments about Pakistan on the same trip seem to knock that accusation on the head.

You seem to want to move away from abortion to the Middle East after establishing that Margaret Thatcher is a leftist.

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM

You had the charity to remove the ‘leftist’ label from Bill O’Reilly and re-brand him as an ‘idiot.’ Are you really going to leave her there or is she another ‘ruling class leftist?’

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 3:14 AM

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM

I could care less about what you think of abortion, or for that matter what Thatcher thought of it. As shocking as this may be for you… some of us actually think for ourselves.

We come to our own conclusions and if Reagan believed something that I think is wrong, then Reagan was wrong. Now I would certainly give it a second thought when a man of that caliber comes to a conclusion different than my own.

When all is said and done, rational argument convinces not famous names.

p.s.: You aren’t Margaret Thatcher

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 3:22 AM

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 3:14 AM

I never called him a leftist. I called him an idiot.

I never called Thatcher a leftist either.

I called YOU a leftist.

It’s not a difficult concept. You are not Thatcher even if she was pro-abortion and you are pro-abortion. Doesn’t work that way.

If strawman arguments are all you have, you’re scraping bottom.

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 3:26 AM

You say you don’t care what I think about abortion yet you demanded to know what I thought twice over and the third time you just went ahead and told me that I supported Roe vs Wade (which I’m actually not sure I support as a matter of law).

I explained in detail what I thought about the abortion issue. I’m not the one calling people names and using labels… you are.

I provided you with a quote from Thatcher on the issue of abortion which I think forms a rational support for being against abortion as a personal choice while not wanting the state to make that decision for me or anyone else.

That is a cogent argument and you ignored it moving on to throw labels around again while not addressing the subject which you yourself brought up.

You did refer to Bill O’Reilly as a ‘leftist’ without knowing that he was the person who asked the question I referred to. Then when I pointed out that you called him a leftist you just said he was an idiot.

Not too long ago you just referred to British Conservatives as ‘ruling class leftists.’ Thatcher is a British Conservative.

p.s. I know I’m not Thatcher. I never claimed to be. But I share her thinking on many issues.

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 4:20 AM

Again, I ask, is the excommunication forthcoming?

NoLeftTurn on August 4, 2010 at 1:43 AM

The excommunication already happened. With her continued stance on abortion Pelosi has already excommunicated hereself. It’s called a latae sententiae excommunication, wherein one is automatically excommunicated for continuing in certain mortal sins…the advocacy of abortions by politicians being one of them. No further action by the church to excommunicate her is necessary. Nancy Pelosi is NOT a Catholic, no matter what she claims.

Trafalgar on August 4, 2010 at 6:27 AM

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 1:40 AM

The only title that fits you is ‘useful idiot’

Wolftech on August 4, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Mary was a single mom. They are only offered one option by Planned parenthood.

seven on August 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM

…and if Hitler or Stalin could have been aborted…

lexhamfox on August 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM

That’s not “Our” call. You are making an argument for Moral Relativism. (Some people only see a Grey world) There is Good and Evil. There is Free Will.

Power Mad is Power Mad….Or in Whoopi Goldberg speak, Hitler was Evil – Evil. Oliver Stone on the other hand, Hitler should be put in historical context, translation: Hitler needs a thick coat/shellacking of moral relativism applied to his life, and a strong dose of revisionist history.

I am not a Moral Relativist. I don’t want to be turned slowly into that which I despise. Just like telling a child not to touch a hot stove it burns…don’t touch evil it destroys. You know Evil – Evil ;)

Dr Evil on August 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM

God forgive me, but I feel something close to hate for that woman.

WaltzingMtilda on August 3, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Fight it, pray for her, she is like a vampire that feeds on negative energy…starve her! I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that the Speaker is a non recovering alcoholic.

Dr Evil on August 4, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Speaker Phulofit is an antediluvian using legerdemain to commit lese’ maj’esty incapable of understanding a neologism and should be superannuated.

MSGTAS on August 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM

VOTE HER OUT!

CynicalOptimist on August 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM

That’s real conservative fiscal policy. Attacking deficits on all fronts.

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Deficits are just so much sound and fury. Total spending levels are the meat.

Count to 10 on August 4, 2010 at 3:07 PM

No what I said is that you and your leftist friends were probably thrilled at the question. Which you were.

lexhamfox on August 4, 2010 at 4:20 AM

Actually again, I referred to YOU as a ruling class leftist, but yes in fact the British Conservative Party has become a leftist party. They were well on their way when Thatcher upset so many of them and took them for a rightward tilt during her years. They despised her for it and if you recall she was forced out due to some of her more conservative policies. She was replaced by Major weenie.

The British Conservative Party of 20 year ago was a lightweight then, and has since drifted into being a typical euroleftist party.

sharrukin on August 4, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Every time I picture fun with Pelosi, it involves liquid chocolate

Darth Executor

Just so long as the liquid chocolate is boiling, and in a vat large enoguh to hold the whole od Pelosi’s ‘body’.

Siddhartha Vicious on August 4, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Whatever you do Nancy… DON”T MENTION JESUS CHRIST AS “THE WORD MADE FLESH! The TRUTH isn’t popular with non-believers,Dems don’t want THE TRUTH really, and you’ll lose votes for the party.

CynicalOptimist on August 5, 2010 at 10:50 AM