Video: American icon deceives seniors about Medicare

posted at 7:52 pm on August 2, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via John McCormack, a pep talk for seniors before the midterms from Sheriff Andy Matlock in case any of them are thinking that that newfangled health-care law might cause problems with their benefits down the line. I don’t mind the feds hiring famous actors to push their propaganda — maybe Obama’s planning to sign Schwarzenegger to start doing ads on Afghanistan? — but can we at least try to avoid misleading the target audience? Read this FactCheck.org analysis of the Griffith ad. “Guaranteed benefits” aren’t always guaranteed benefits.

Exit question: The elderly and even the middle-aged will recognize this guy right away, but what about those fresh-faced twentysomethings who actually have to pay for the product he’s pushing here? Note to Obama: There was someone available who could have reached all three groups. Saving her for the Social Security propaganda, maybe?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I still need to be explained why Betty White is so popular again suddenly.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Abuse of the elderly

PaCadle on August 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM

AP, you are telling us how young you are. That ain’t Andy Matlock, that’s Andy Taylor….and the Andy Taylor I know wouldn’t be doing the bidding of such a dishonest man as this….Griffith must’ve fallen and hit his head on ol’ Aunt Bee’s front porch or something because he’s done lost his mind.

ted c on August 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM

To me, he’ll always be Lonesome Rhodes

Bevan on August 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM

“And that’s also the biggest crock of nothing I’ve ever heard!!”

faraway on August 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I still need to be explained why Betty White is so popular again suddenly.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Betty White is smoking hot. And Blantant Blue better not get any ideas.

keep the change on August 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Sigh… even his “TV Son” Ron Howard is a leftwing bat too. What has this world come to?

Conservalicious on August 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I’d as soon trust Otis Campbell with regards to Healthcare after Andy Taylor shilled for ChicagObama.

portlandon on August 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Nip it Andy, nip it in the bud.

mike_NC9 on August 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM

opie taylor sure must’ve been smoking something weird out behind the jail or something, cuz ron howard is a leftwing moonbat.

ted c on August 2, 2010 at 7:59 PM

He and Ron Howard did the most ridiculous skit for the 08 elections with Howard putting on Opie clothes and a wig and acting like ole Andy was spinning some downhome common sense about politics and the state of the country. They were begging for people to vote for Obama. Would Andy Taylor be okay with abortion I wonder? Would he be okay with the assault on the Constitution Obamacare required to get passed? Hollywood, your guy is a fail. Give…it…up!

hawkdriver on August 2, 2010 at 7:59 PM

et tu Brutus Andy

Wade on August 2, 2010 at 7:59 PM

ted c on August 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Ref: “Opie Cunningham,” Eddie Murphy, SNL.

James on August 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM

What would Aunt Bea say, Andy?

Can’t believe he’s doing this ad.

BacaDog on August 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM

This ad falls into the same category as :
“REVERSE MORTGAGE”along with some of those late night herbal remedies, and the shyster lawyers.

Skandia Recluse on August 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM

This is nothing new. Griffith has always been a liberal force here in NC Politics.

hawkdriver on August 2, 2010 at 8:01 PM

The Death Panels would have killed Aunt Bea because she was overweight, and past her age of usefulness.

portlandon on August 2, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Heart breaking.

milwife88 on August 2, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I still need to be explained why Betty White is so popular again suddenly.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Because she’s generally awesome, as evidenced by this sort of bit that is big with the hipsters.

DaveS on August 2, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I’m more concerned about the initial $700k they’re spending on airtime for this ad.

Medicare has $700k to spend on selling a law that is already on the books?

ButterflyDragon on August 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM

They could only find a country bumpkin to sell that line of BS. ‘Guaranteed benefits’… to be paid for by the great-grandchildren and their kids.

michaelo on August 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Andy Taylor used to let the town drunk sleep in the jail overnight and not lock the cell IIRC….he was a good sheriff, people trusted him and he upheld the law. Now he’s done and sold out to the lawbreakers. Such are the tactics of the left….first Captain America and now Andy Taylor? WTF is going on and who’s it going to be next? Batman? failing to fight crime in Gotham? *sigh*….

ted c on August 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I’ve always been an Andy Griffith fan and still am, but this is just sad.

changer1701 on August 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM

It’s ok Andy I will always forgive you.

tomas on August 2, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Why on earth do people give a toot what some singer or actor thinks about politics?

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Now I understand why Aunt Bee was alway so terrible to him, he deserved it. Also have to stop watching my favorite TV show from when I was a teen.

Tommy_G on August 2, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Andy will be able to BUY what healthcare he needs. Average seniors, not so much.

bloggless on August 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Have you noticed how many .gov ads run on TV these days? After midnight, every other ad on some channels its a government ad.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

where’s Ward Cleaver to knock some damn sense into Andy Taylor when we need him? Is he a flaming lib too? BTW, saw a documentary on Richard Reeve, dad of Brady Bunch fame, you’da never known about him during the show……in the closet the whole time.

ted c on August 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, Andy, we know you and Helen were doing it.

bloggless on August 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I’m no young sprout but not yet elderly, and I think Andy Griffith comes off in this “ad” as being decrepit, as in, not-making-sense.

It’s like an ad for Who You Don’t Want To Be When Old…

THEN there’s what he’s saying, which as per what you’ve identified, is misleading.

So all in all, it presents Griffith as: suffering dementia and/or being a liar.

Assuming that “old people” are going to accept information from other “old people” is wrong, because most the elderly aren’t like that — in fact, they don’t particularly care for being saturated with other “old people” in environment or information.

Same preferences at most ages of life, too. We all tend to like new information from fresh points of view, so we can arrive at our own opinions, all-considered.

Griffith comes off as generally unreliable in this ad, including what he’s saying.

I no longer expect anything lucid from the Pelosi-Reid-Obama gang. I think all they have is dishonesty and misleading of others. That’s just all they have.

Lourdes on August 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM

He and Dopey were pimping for Obama.

Hening on August 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM

lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Yes, that and ads by AARP. I’m really sick of AARP trying to tell me and anyone else about “health care”.

Lourdes on August 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM

After midnight, every other ad on some channels its a government ad.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Our Stimulus money hard at work.

Electrongod on August 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Amazes me that they can continue to get people to lie for them. Mayberry will never be the same now!

bluemarlin on August 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Griffith has become a deceiver, a dissembler
His trousers are alight
From what pole or banner
Shall they dangle in the night?

What infernal moneyed serpent
Has lent him his forked tongue?
From what pit of foul deceit
Has all his treachery sprung?

PercyB on August 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM

As soon as I saw it was in color I knew I wouldn’t like it.

rogerb on August 2, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Medicare has $700k to spend on selling a law that is already on the books?

ButterflyDragon on August 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Hahahaha peasant they have an endless supply.

PaulKrugman on August 2, 2010 at 8:15 PM

CWforFreedom on August 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM

How much money did we spend on this crap, again?

Shame on you, Andy.

d1carter on August 2, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Our Stimulus money hard at work.

Electrongod on August 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM

And those stimulus road signs. They really kill me as they are building and rebuilding roads that are not needed.

CWforFreedom on August 2, 2010 at 8:17 PM

When will they roll out Opie and Aunt Bea? Oh, wait. Aunt Bea is lying in rest. Will they try to revive the old Patriotic Townspeople? Oh, wait. They’re dead, too.

…. Or, so they think.

Keep it up. Lefties/Progressives. You are not scoring points.

I bet Andy is laughing himself all the way to the bank by taking your lefty money and knowing, without a doubt, that he’s got a lil’ wink and a nod going on in that commercial.

Stuff it, lefties.

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I still need to be explained why Betty White is so popular again suddenly.
lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM

The Snickers commercial, I think. Seriously. As far as Andy, I’m glad to see he’s alive, ’cause I thought he was dead. Seriously.

joejm65 on August 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM

awe shucks andy, all I wanted is some apple pie, front porch swing-sitting, and a smoke…but now you have to spoil it for me with your rant. c’mon get out your gee-tar, sing some tunes, and lets forget about this marxist in the WH….at least for a few hours anyway.

jbh45 on August 2, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Amazing what an actor will say or do for MONEY.

GarandFan on August 2, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Opie’s a leftard . I am sure his day as liarbral speaker is coming.

CWforFreedom on August 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM

How will Dick Van Dyke weigh in on all this?

Mojave Mark on August 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Aunt Bea would not approve…

cmsinaz on August 2, 2010 at 8:21 PM

He’s a liar, a liar
His pants are on fire
How great for money must be his desire
His soul is now hanging by a wire

Cheshire Cat on August 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Ease up on Andy.

Let’s pile on to Lee Majors and his bionic hearing aids!

/kidding.

Let the lefties give them money. Wasted money, wasted time, wasted effort, wasted ideology. I for one have a sense of joy when our cherished elderly actors and icons can scap off the left. It’s better than some drug dealing douchebag on the street of Chicago.

Oh, wait. I just described the Presidunce Puddin Pants. Oh, my.

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM

faraway on August 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM

I can’t quite express the level of my anger at that.

Jason Coleman on August 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM

faraway on August 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM

unstinkingbelievable…

cmsinaz on August 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Sad. Is nothing sacred any more?

petefrt on August 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Griffith has become a deceiver, a dissembler
(…)

PercyB on August 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I think Griffith, like many people who make their living by deceiving others, actually believes that his Leftwing/Democrat version of reality IS, indeed, the Road to Perpetual Happiness that everyone should submit to and accept and then they’ll be happy fans of his.

Griffith just comes off as being another vain, insipid, deceptive actor. I’ll never be able to watch the Andy Griffith Show again (but that I decided after seeing him and actor Ron Howard do their silly worst to pretend to still be in character from The Show two years ago to sell Obama to the American voters).

These are all people — in entertainment — committed to unions and the Socialist if not Communist (in many cases, they are Communists) way of doing things. No ads, no sales pitches, by actors is ever free of that association…I long since stopped purchasing their “work” when at all possible when Leftwingers are involved, as much as I can determine, anyway.

Still, it’s always disappointing to discover some people you’ve enjoyed in various works are just creeps politically and socially. Very disillusioning as to their work.

Lourdes on August 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM

We grew up on Matlock…

ninjapirate on August 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Opie’s a leftard . I am sure his day as liarbral speaker is coming.

CWforFreedom on August 2, 2010 at 8:20 PM

You know what’s weird? I used to have a crush on his brother.. the homely one. He starred in all of Ron Howard’s movies in the 80′s and 90′s. He just had such an interesting look. Like Renee Zellweger.

/what was I thinking?

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:24 PM

To me, he’ll always be Lonesome Rhodes

Bevan on August 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Agreed, when the mask slipped on that one a penny dropped with me regarding all these phonies…

KZnextzone on August 2, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I always wondered if the would ever get another actor to play Joe Isuzu. Looks like they did.

Tav on August 2, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Speaking of Opie, I still get a grin everytime I think about Chris Wallace setting the libtard group straight after viewing Frost/Nixon. I wish I could have seen Opie`s face then.

bluemarlin on August 2, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Everyone ought to look at the Award ceremony that was held for Elia Kazan. Take a look at the audience, see the various Hollywood/actors/entertainers who sat there glowering and refused to applaud Kazan.

The point being, there are still and persist many a Communist in Hollywood and their plans don’t include a strong America, but a Marxist Land.

I laugh a bit unhappily whenever I see the HOLLYWOOD sign — it always looks to me on first glance to read, “HORRORWOOD”.

Lourdes on August 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM

After midnight, every other ad on some channels its a government ad.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

And it is purely a campaign ad for the Democraps. The healthcare bill has long since passed been rammed down our throats, so this ad serves but one purpose. Trying to win back the seniors who were emphatically against the passing of this boondoogle of a bill. It won’t work.

This senior says so.

Epic Fail and waste of $700K.

fogw on August 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Henceforth I’ll call it Otis-Care knowing it’s as unstable as a goat full of dynamite.

Andy isn’t a principled, moral man he just plays one on TV.

viking01 on August 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM

i’d like to see him at a Mayberry townhall.

lavell12 on August 2, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Andy isn’t a principled, moral man he just plays one on TV.

viking01 on August 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM

100+ ^^

Lourdes on August 2, 2010 at 8:29 PM

After midnight, every other ad on some channels its a government ad.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Because the majority of the viewers at that time are shiftless ne’er do wells who don’t have to get for work in the am and are prime targets for socialist propaganda. Not saying that you are in that group l.

thomasaur on August 2, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I don’t mind the feds hiring famous actors to push their propaganda

I mind a great deal. Not only do I have to fight my “representative” government tooth and nail, but I have to pay for their propaganda, too?

DrMagnolias on August 2, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Awwe, you guys… Ease up. I’d rather erase this leftist funded commercial payment to Andy Griffith (No Seniors will be fooled) from my mind vs. erasing the Andy Griffith Show from my mind.

Great memories. A wonderful show…

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:33 PM

If the RNC was smart, assuming they really want to sink it, they whould hire a Joe Joe Isuzu style actor to “advocate” for ObaamsteinCare.

“You have my word on it.”
“If I’m lying, may lightning hit my mother.” (“Good luck, Mom!” appears on screen.)
“It has more seats than the Astrodome!”

Tav on August 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I don’t mind the feds hiring famous actors to push their propaganda —

You don’t mind? Well, I do.

What and whose money pays for this lying crap?

marybel on August 2, 2010 at 8:35 PM

There are a bunch of people turning over in their graves….

Floyd the Barber, Aunt Bee, Gomer, Goober, Helen, Otis, Ernest T Bass, Howard Sprague, Barney, etc…

Ditkaca on August 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Thanks a lot, now that damn whistling theme music from Andy Griffith will be in my head for the next week.

Bishop on August 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Bambi should be enraged to learn that Andy Griffith once did an ad promoting crackers.

Je$$e Jack$on and Al $harpton should be up in arms throwing their usual fits.

viking01 on August 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM

DrMagnolias on August 2, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Who says you are paying for their propoganda?

Who says that American Patriots are so dumb and foolish that they can’t smell leftist propganda?

Have faith in your fellow Patriots. Rob them of propaganda talking points with facts. Rob them of their photo ops with facts.

Face it: They have no integrity. That is a fact.

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:38 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ThePrez on August 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Bishop on August 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Because we love you, Bishop! Really, we do.

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Who says you are paying for their propoganda?

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:38 PM

If the federal government hired him, then I am paying for it. Do you know if someone else, in fact, funded this?

DrMagnolias on August 2, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Hollywood is full of leftists. They all lean towards communism. Ron Howard, Sean Penn,Martin Sheen to name a few. This commercial is full of mistruths and out and out lies. If Joe McCarthy was holding hearing- they would have to held 24/7. Look how many commies he found and that was over thirty years ago. The number has growed since then. Look at the leftist agendas in the sitcoms and movies. Even the so called Award Shows spit it out.

flintstone on August 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM

AP always gets a boner over the Golden Girls.

Blake on August 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM

The Department of Health and Human Services is spending your tax dollars to let you know that Obamacare is great for the elderly and will make Medicare even better! – via the Weekly Standard

So, we, you and I, are footing the bill for this crap.

Somehow that seems just completely wrong.

marybel on August 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I’ll find you.

Bishop on August 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Because we love you, Bishop! Really, we do.

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

excellent :)

cmsinaz on August 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM

DrMagnolias on August 2, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I don’t know. I will have to check who funded his ad. I don’t have proof that the Fed funded this. My “guess” is AARP, but again, I have no proof so I cannot answer.

Do you have proof that this Ad was funded by the Fed’s? If so, let the proof come forward.

Best regards

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I’ll find you.

Bishop on August 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Snicker.

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM

So, we, you and I, are footing the bill for this crap.

Somehow that seems just completely wrong.

marybel on August 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM

DrMagnolias on August 2, 2010 at 8:47 PM

From Rhodes to Stockdale to Griffith to Matlock to Rhodes, life has come full circle.

Dusty on August 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I think this proves conservatives may take back the House this Nov. and maybe even the Senate, but we are in for a long hard fight to get rid of the leftist Progressives that have taken over the Dem party. They are not just going to go away.

d1carter on August 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM

So, we, you and I, are footing the bill for this crap.

Somehow that seems just completely wrong.

marybel on August 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM
DrMagnolias on August 2, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Dr. Magnolias, with all due respect I realize that there is private funding of this debacle through advertising its alleged merits. But, I must refrain from finding factual evidence of Andy Griffith actually supporting any of their efforts, because he does not disclose whether or not he is a hired hand, nor does he distinguish himself as a private, individual, unbiased commentator on the Health Care Bill.

Let Andy make some bucks on the back of this abhorrent administration. Let him give the wink and nod within the commercial.

Let it ride.

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Andy doesn’t realize that he and Aunt Bee would have never made it past age 45 (ask Ezekiel Emmanuel and his “Complete Lives System”).

Under DOTUSCare Sheriff Taylor…..you’re dead.

PappyD61 on August 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM

And all of this time it was Barney that should have been allowed to have a bullet in his gun.

I’d have never guessed he was the brains of the outfit.

Lily on August 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM

This ad falls into the same category as :

I was thinking more along the lines of a colon cleanse.

humdinger on August 2, 2010 at 9:03 PM

He looks so different in the ad, I wonder if many folks will recognize him.

slickwillie2001 on August 2, 2010 at 9:04 PM

He’s a life-long, die-hard Southern Democrat so no surprise here.

The Ugly American on August 2, 2010 at 9:07 PM

They should had him do an extended online version entitled, What it Was, Was ObamaCare

The Ugly American on August 2, 2010 at 9:13 PM

You can take the Mayberry out of Andy, but you can’t take the communist out of Andy! Or Opie for that matter.

I think this is reprehensible, and deceitful. Tell every elderly person you know, that Andy is a LIAR!!!

capejasmine on August 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Lourdes on August 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM

You write what I think too, Lourdes.

petefrt on August 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM

No time for Sergants” Andy or Opie,

Rush has a parody setup ready for this. It included
Barney. . .and as usual hit the nail on the head.

Kick that liberal can , Andy.

Texyank on August 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I’m sure AG believes in this crap, no “winking and nodding”. He’s always been a supporter of Dems, always. :( Broke my heart when I learned that a couple of years ago… TAGS is my fave show ever.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM

So Andy and Barry both like a good cracker.

Patrick S on August 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Great memories. A wonderful show…

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:33 PM

The brutal irony of this is that Griffith would never have tolerated the loosy-goosey horse-compost of “progressivism” for a billionth of a New York nanosecond when it came to running that program, ESPECIALLY when it came to being “permissive” with Ron Howard. From all accounts, he and the other adult actors made sure that Howard towed the line and was made to recognize the need to be responsible and professional. I think that is one of the chief reasons that, stupid politics aside, Ron Howard is one of the all-time best-adjusted and successful child stars in Hollywood history.

ebrown2 on August 2, 2010 at 9:21 PM