Video: American icon deceives seniors about Medicare

posted at 7:52 pm on August 2, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via John McCormack, a pep talk for seniors before the midterms from Sheriff Andy Matlock in case any of them are thinking that that newfangled health-care law might cause problems with their benefits down the line. I don’t mind the feds hiring famous actors to push their propaganda — maybe Obama’s planning to sign Schwarzenegger to start doing ads on Afghanistan? — but can we at least try to avoid misleading the target audience? Read this FactCheck.org analysis of the Griffith ad. “Guaranteed benefits” aren’t always guaranteed benefits.

Exit question: The elderly and even the middle-aged will recognize this guy right away, but what about those fresh-faced twentysomethings who actually have to pay for the product he’s pushing here? Note to Obama: There was someone available who could have reached all three groups. Saving her for the Social Security propaganda, maybe?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So is Andy a lying sack-o-sh1t true believer, or just doesn’t know wtf he’s talking about, and doesn’t much care so long as the checks don’t bounce?

Midas on August 2, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Key West Reader on August 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Mr. Griffith lives in Virginia, as I do. He endorsed Obama before the election. I still love the Andy Griffith show, but whether paid or unpaid, Mr. Griffith is a shill for this tyrannical administration. He doesn’t get a pass from me (not that he cares).

DrMagnolias on August 2, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Find “A Face in the Crowd”, his first film, and watch it. It’s a classic, and speaks to what is happening now, with nitwit voters seduced by politicians who understand the power of television.

FalseProfit on August 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM

There are a bunch of people turning over in their graves….

Floyd the Barber, Aunt Bee, Gomer, Goober, Helen, Otis, Ernest T Bass, Howard Sprague, Barney, etc…

Ditkaca on August 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM

That would be news to Gomer and Goober….

ScottG on August 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I still need to be explained why Betty White is so popular again suddenly.

lorien1973 on August 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I don’t, either. Some think an elderly woman being obnoxious is funny.

And poor ol’ Andy. Senility sucks.

MadisonConservative on August 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM

“We’ll be right baccccckkkk!”

Del Dolemonte on August 2, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Democrats: The IRS will soon control your healthcare, ENJOY!

Fake8 on August 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Well, Richie and the Fonz did that “If we don’t elect Obama the world will suddenly end” ad for BHO… Andy’s just covering Opie’s older fans with his own lies.

mankai on August 2, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Well since Barney Fife passed away some body had to take over his role and Obama picked Andy. Aunt Bea passed so Goober will explain why Bush tax cuts are bad and must be terminated. Helen Crump is understudy.

Herb on August 2, 2010 at 9:41 PM

I know Andy all too well.

blatantblue on August 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Rostenkowski!

Inanemergencydial on August 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM

It’s sad to see his career end with this dishonest add. He has always been so well loved, so I suppose that’s why they would give him almost a million to do it, knowing people would listen to him.

Bambi on August 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM

What is was was some kindly of a contest where they try to take that punkin’ and run from one end of that field to the ‘tother without either gettin’ knocked down… or steppin’ in somethin’

I think he stepped in something.

CC

CapedConservative on August 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Obamacare: still not as bad as waiting in line at the DMV.

Fake8 on August 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM

GOD HE LOOKS LIKE A TWISTED MONSTER!

I hate the way the years often strip out the best parts of us and leave us as disgusting, childish, imbecilic, degenerate creatures. It happened to my mother. “I hope I dye before I get old”. - Pete Townshend?

elfman on August 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM

What? some more homespun gayness from Ange?

esnap on August 2, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Sheriff Without A Gun…kind of says it all.

Laura in Maryland on August 2, 2010 at 10:30 PM

From all accounts he is a jackass in real life. Good thing he is on their side.

Chubbs65 on August 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Chubbs65 on August 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM

When I was stationed in Norfolk I had to escort two of my guys to court in Manteo, NC for a previous traffic arrest. Andy had a summer home there at the time, he may still have it. My opinion of him was crushed with every local I spoke to that had any dealings with him. Not the same Andy we saw onscreen, to say the least.

I agree with the suggestion above to see the movie A Face in the Crowd. It’s as true now as when it was filmed.

TugboatPhil on August 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Aunt Bea: “But Andy, Opie & his little friends are much too young to hold down a full-time job to pay for ObamaCare; besides, Obama and the Democrats have ruined the job market”

TN Mom on August 2, 2010 at 10:59 PM

This is life imitating art. By that I mean this actor is imitating his character in “A Face in the Crowd,” one of his first movies, about a hick who finds fame and then uses it to lie and destroy lives.

BillCarson on August 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I heard this ad a couple of days ago and couldn’t get over the feeling of a famous person with dementia being propped up by someone unscrupulous. That’s probably wishful thinking on my part. Love to know how much he got paid or wrote off his taxes for this little number.

Cindy Munford on August 2, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Shocka: Obama Administration pays an actor to shill for ObamaCare.

It’s all a big act, after all . . .

BigAlSouth on August 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Caught off camera on an open mike:

“Wheel the vegetable away-and don’t forget to pay the ventriloquist!”

MaiDee on August 3, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Et tu, Andy?

listens2glenn on August 3, 2010 at 12:19 AM

How very sad.

Dave R. on August 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Looks like Andy has spent too many nights out with Otis:

dthorny on August 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM

I don’t mind the feds hiring famous actors to push their propaganda

I do, AP.

The government has no business running campaign commercials for Medicare. In fact, the government has no business advertising at all. It is, at best, a waste of money. Or worse, it is another tool for them to use to fashion our chains.

Haiku Guy on August 3, 2010 at 6:23 AM

Midas on August 2, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I do believe ol’ Andy is a laying sack-o-sh!t true believer, who still doesn’t know wtf he’s talking about.

And when the checks come, he cashes them quick. He knows the FedGuv might not be good or the money, soon…

Haiku Guy on August 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM

What a hoot.

Terrye on August 3, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Poor Andy. He endorsed Obama and Obamacare. Poor feeble minded, senile Andy.

John Deaux on August 3, 2010 at 8:06 AM

i have friends who ran into Andy in Outer Banks at a restaurant (Andy owns place in Manteo NC). These friends gushed–but they were respectfully adoring. He was rude. very rude.

kelley in virginia on August 3, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Just another celebrity lib, living in a gated community telling the rest of us how to live our lives.

How many pieces of gold did ya get, Andy?

bloviator on August 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Sheriff Andy Matlock. I’ve thought of Andy as a stand-up comic, a comedic actor, and an actor. I guess that taking his cue from Betty White, he decided to add “Prostitute” to his resume late in life. The problem could come from the fact that old whores have never been very popular, nor should they anticipate longevity in their new career path.

oldleprechaun on August 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Patronizing ad. Sounded as if he thought he was talking to kindergarteners.

jeanie on August 3, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Thanks, Andy.

Avoid U.S. Health Insurers After Reform, Brokerage Says

* Aetna, WellPoint, UnitedHealth downgraded to “sell”

* Brokerage Edward Jones advises looking at health stocks

NEW YORK Aug 2 (Reuters) – U.S. health insurers are not worth the long-term investment risk in the wake of the new healthcare reform law, according to brokerage Edward Jones.

Edward Jones downgraded the ratings on the stocks of the three health insurers it covers — UnitedHealth Group Inc (UNH.N), WellPoint Inc (WLP.N) and Aetna Inc (AET.N) — to “sell” from “hold” late on Friday. Those companies are the three largest U.S. health insurers.

As of the end of the month, the brokerage will no longer cover the companies.

“We are concerned that market structure changes, profit limitations and rebates, and ever-present political/regulatory pressures will negatively impact future profit growth and more than offset the anticipated influx of newly insured members,” Edward Jones analyst Aaron Vaughn wrote in a report.

Akzed on August 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM

What’s Andy really like? He’s a lot less Mayberry RFD and a whole LOT more A Face In The Crowd.

Coronagold on August 3, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I guess his Lonesome Rhodes character wasnt so far off after all.

abcurtis on August 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Andy used to disparage the idea he was really playing himself when he played Sheriff Andy Taylor.

abcurtis on August 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM

So they led the senile old leftist into a room, turned on the Obama-prompter, and let him read the lies for a couple of bucks. He wins, the regime wins.

Anyone under 30 wonders who the old fart is, any conservative over 40 is dissappointed he doesn’t share Sheriff Taylor’s values.

Tim_CA on August 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Griffith and Ron Howard are both card-carrying moonbats. In 2008, reprising their Sheriff Andy and Opie roles, they did a creepy, slobbering Obama ad that was posted on Funny or Die.

Ward Cleaver on August 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I don’t mind the feds hiring famous actors to push their propaganda”

Why don’t you? They should donate their time, not get paid with my money!

joshlbetts on August 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I get AARP membership invitations in the mail, and I simply seal the empty return envelope, and mail it back.

Ward Cleaver on August 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Oh, besides the fact that he’s a blooming liberal, he’s doing little more more than some of the other senile celebrities, seeking bucks by attracting seniors to buy something. The reverse mortgage ads to naive seniors (James Garner) bother me immensely.

Don L on August 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Now we know why Otis was drunk all the time.

moonsbreath on August 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I don’t mind the feds hiring famous actors to push their propaganda

I do – it’s my money, after all, and it adds insult to injury to use dollars taken from me to push propaganda that aims to take more.

Vashta.Nerada on August 3, 2010 at 2:06 PM

The reverse mortgage ads to naive seniors (James Garner) bother me immensely.

Don L on August 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM

not Jim Rockford?!?!
OK now I am really sad.
I loved the Rockford Files.
Dear God, is nothing sacred anymore?

Badger40 on August 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I don’t mind the feds hiring famous actors to push their propaganda

Vashta.Nerada on August 3, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I have to say this is quite probably the stupidest thing AP has ever said.
Why would anyone condone their government pushing propaganda at all?!?!?

Badger40 on August 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM

It is sad to see actors tarnish a cherished (fictional) image for their know-nothing politics. Angela Lansbury tried an anti term-limits commercial in California, in the ’90s. On the wrong side, she was unprepared for the blow-back. I think she learned a lesson.

Betty White has a long and distinguished career, a genuinely funny performer. She’s tainted that with her trash talk. Some of them want to be hipsters and become embarrassed about the wholesome image of earlier days. That’s a shame.

Feedie on August 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM

LOL, he’s still alive? Who knew.

That old timey non-obamacare medicine must be pretty damned good.

HBowmanMD on August 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Thank yew, Andy! I had almost stopped believing in Santa Claus!

oakland on August 3, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Just another REALLY old left wing Hollywood HACK spewing propaganda for the CRIMINALS who are trying to steal our country and take our Liberty .
Another note Ron Howard is just as bad but probably smart enough to voice his opinions in public

ELMO Q on August 3, 2010 at 5:58 PM

1. Andy Griffith has always been a big liberal
2. God he looks old anddecrepit

Hilts on August 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Feedie on August 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM

When was Betty White “wholesome”??? Her character on MTM was anything but and her talking about sex is nothing new, she’s been the doing the dirty old ladie schtick for quite awhile.

ELMO Q, Ron has voiced his opinions in public: the ad that has been menioned in this very thread for Obama in ’08 in which he dressed up as Opie.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 3, 2010 at 6:55 PM

bib overalls on fire…

flyoverland on August 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Thanks for the okee-doke, Andy… NOT!!

Khun Joe on August 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM