Stark explains that the Constitution has no meaning at all

posted at 8:48 am on August 2, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Sometimes when we start getting a lot of e-mail about a video clip, the results are disappointing. Not this time; in fact, the e-mailers may have undersold this Breitbart clip of Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA), the lunatic who once told a constituent that he wouldn’t bother wasting urine on him, telling a crowd that the federal government has no real limitations in telling people how to live their lives. The setup to this question may be the most clear elucidation of the Constitutional issues involved in ObamaCare, and Stark literally has no answer for them:

A few points should be noted. While the woman argues effectively about the 13th Amendment bar on slavery, the Fifth Amendment protection against confiscation of private property also applies, as does the Article I, Section 8 mandate on Congress to protect the ownership of “exclusive right to their Writings and Discoveries” for those in the sciences and the arts. Also, take a look at Stark’s body language in this exchange. Normally combative (and aggressively insipid in most cases), Stark seems to be collapsing in on himself as the woman builds an argument effectively enough to win applause from her fellow constituents. The bombastic Stark is almost inaudible when he admits that ObamaCare is a symptom of a federal government that no longer adheres to Constitutional limitations, and indeed doesn’t recognize them at all.

Republicans in every district should play this clip and demand an answer from incumbent Democrats who voted for ObamaCare.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yes, I realized my error after posting. But thanks for that, douchebag.

2Brave2Bscared on August 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Says the one who is less than an idiot.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 2:19 PM

The person who fights to maintain the fiction of the union, regardless of how the government trashes the Constitution and strips us of our rights, is calling me a “statist”.

Comedy gold.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Three fingers, Rebar.

Let me spell this out for you:

Stat·ism   /ˈsteɪtɪzəm/ Show Spelled[stey-tiz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
1. the principle or policy of concentrating extensive economic, political, and related controls in the state at the cost of individual liberty.

It is my individual liberty as a US citizen you seek to trample in pursuit of your personal utopia.

You believe you have that right.

You are no different than those you accuse of doing same to you.

Did you become this way pre-Obama or post-Obama?

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 2:30 PM

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 2:30 PM

And what if it’s that very same US government that’s taking away your liberties, that you’ve sworn to protect regardless of their unconstitutional and flat-out illegal actions?

You are, by your own admission and definition, a statist.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 2:37 PM

If I had actually voted in favor of any policies of the US government that resulted in my liberties being taken away, you would have a valid point.

You are, by your own admission and definition, a statist.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I have never voted in favor of an erosion in my liberties, so your point is invalid.

What time shall I expect you and your ilk over for the beer summit?

Oh, and you did not answer the question of when you became a Statist. Pre-obama or post-Obama?

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM

About the same time that you stopped beating your wife?

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Stark just got some good ol’ Rush treatment.

wear it Fortney Pete….we hope you lose.

ted c on August 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM

About the same time that you stopped beating your wife?

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM

You can not refute the argument thus your only remaining tactic is to attack the person.

Stay classy. You wear it well.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 2:59 PM

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 2:59 PM

My apologies! I didn’t realize you were an idiot.

This fallacy is often used rhetorically, so that the question limits direct replies to be those that serve the questioner’s agenda. An example of this is the question “Do you still beat your wife/husband?” Whether the respondent answers yes or no, he or she will admit to having a spouse, and having beaten them at some time in the past.

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Since the entire purpose of the red states separating from the union would be to preserve the rights afforded by the Constitution, I’m glad you came around to supporting my viewpoint.

What time shall I expect you and your ilk over for the beer summit?

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM

You may send the invitations to here and here. Better stock up though, a lot of folks would be showing up.

A lot.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I better understand the comment “Stark raving lunatic”…

right2bright on August 2, 2010 at 3:07 PM

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM

That’s funny…either they left in embarrassment, or they are asking their wife “I never beat you did I?”

right2bright on August 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM

My apologies! I didn’t realize you were an idiot.

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM

No apology necessary.

Rebar is a Statist as he desires to take away my rights.

You must be one as well. That makes you less than an idiot.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM

You really didn’t understand the post, did you?
That’s even funnier…thanks for the laugh.

right2bright on August 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM

There are some blue individuals within those red states and there are some red individuals within those blue states.

What to do about them?

You want them to follow your orders or be oppressed.

A lot.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM

No worries.

I have a large supporting contigent in the North.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Rebar is a Statist as he desires to take away my rights.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM

If Texas and the rest of the red states leave the union while guaranteeing their citizens more rights and liberties than currently afforded by today’s United States, that would make you the statist.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM

You must be one as well. That makes you less than an idiot.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM

You libertarians are funny. You scream statist at everyone who disagrees with you and yet here you are backing Darkstar who said…

Confirmed sad-sacks like him will only really ‘listen’ to the sound of gunfire…preferably lots of it, directed at them.

I used to think Grant was too harsh on the South with his scorched-earth policy. No longer.

The Roman Empire knew how to squash a rebellion once and for all, we just didn’t have the guts to do it because we were fighting our own families.

And its not him you shreak statist at!

Libertarians are just liberals who don’t want to pay taxes.

They have the exact same instinct that progressives do to use force when ‘statists’ don’t do, or agree with what they want.

Your constant talk of ‘your rights’ is just a cheap excuse to avoid any obligations that must come with all rights. You want rights without duties in exactly the same way that the so-called progressives do. They babble about rights all day long as well, and it is just as vacuous!

This is why so many of those libertarian freedom lovers over at Reason Magazine voted for Obama.

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM

right2bright on August 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM

A lack of understanding seems to be all they bring to the table.

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Or maybe we could start a New Republic on Mars!

because that sounds about as real.

DarkCurrent on August 2, 2010 at 3:32 PM

You really didn’t understand the post, did you?
That’s even funnier…thanks for the laugh.
right2bright on August 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Actually, I did. The poster assumed I committed a fallacy that has not been committed.

The question is valid as to Rebar’s motives.

When did Rebar and his ilk decide the Union was lost to them?

Pre-Obama or post-Obama?

If he answers pre-Obama, the infrequency of his rhetoric (and others like him) on this site would not seem to support his answer.

If it is post Obama, it would explain the increase in frequency of his rhetoric (and others like him) on this site. It would also indicate that his desire has less to do with the erosion of liberties that he claims, and more to do with Obama personally.

Thanks for the laugh.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM

When did Rebar and his ilk decide the Union was lost to them?

March 4, 1861

DarkCurrent on August 2, 2010 at 3:45 PM

What to do about them?

Folks can either stay/move to the “blue” America and live in the socialist nanny state under fiat of the ruling class which is what the progressives are forcing on everyone right now red or blue, or stay/move to the “red” America and live in a constitutional republic under rule of law.

Which is a lot better than the blue states forcing their “progressive” socialism on everyone, since it gives a choice where there was none, you must agree.

No worries.

I have a large supporting contigent in the North.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Seems you’ve already made your choice.

Pre-Obama or post-Obama?

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Actually, it was pre-Rebar. The union was fatally infected during the FDR regime (well before my time), and further weakened during the Kennedy/Johnson regime. The infection of “progressivism” is killing the country as a constitutional republic (as planned), 0bama is just a symptom of the final stages of the disease.

We can either all died of the malady, or we can amputate the rot and save some of the patient. I say amputate and allow at least some Americans to live free.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM

As Stark’s fellow California representative Nancy Pelosi would say “Are you kidding?”

Pervygrin on August 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Dark-Star will confirm that I have had numerous disagreements with him in the past.

I am calling Rebar a Statist not because he disagrees with me. I am calling him one because he wants to trample the rights of US citizens in his quest for his desired utopian State.

You are aware of the 14th Amendment, are you not?

Check the thread about 1099s. Plenty of conservatives there do not want to pay taxes either.

It is a bit arrogant for you to think you know for a fact that I avoid any obligations that must come with my rights.

You must be speaking of some other libertarian you might now.

I did not vote for Obama, nor am I a libertarian.

You are indeed less than an idiot and an arrogant one at that.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:56 PM

March 4, 1861

DarkCurrent on August 2, 2010 at 3:45 PM

+ infinity and beyond.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:57 PM

… Kennedy/Johnson regime. The infection of “progressivism” is killing the country as a constitutional republic (as planned), 0bama is just a symptom of the final stages of the disease.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Your other leg is already infected as well and has been for a while.

DarkCurrent on August 2, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Of course, as long as you are not one of those being amputated and are one of those that get to live.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I choose that some might live free, you choose to let none.

And I’m the statist.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 4:02 PM

And I’m the statist.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Yep.

Better get to work on that ship to colonize Mars.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Here is a longer version of the video of Rep. Pete Stark’s Town Hall meeting for those who want to see even more outrageous statements from Rep. Stark.

Every district in the country should be having these Town Hall meetings with both their Congressional Representatives and their Senators.

The House and the Senate are out of session until September 12th for their “Summer District Work Period.”

Call your Representative and your Senator to find out when there will be Town Hall meetings in your area.

Bring your video cameras so you can share the experience!

wren on August 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM

It’s past bed time where I am.

Good night and God bless you all

DarkCurrent on August 2, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Chris Pareja is running as an Independent to replace Rep. Stark in California’s 13th District.
Since the California Primary Election has already been held, Chris Pareja needs to collect 9,500 petition signatures from registered voters in the 13th District by August 6th to get on the November ballot.

You can learn more about Chris Pareja at his Campaign web site:

If you know anybody who lives in the 13th District (portions of Alameda, Castro Valley, San Leandro, San Lorenzo, Hayward, Union City, Fremont, Newark, Sunol and Pleasanton, California), please encourage them to get in touch with Chris Pareja’s campaign to find out how to help him get the signatures he needs.

Forest Baker is the Republican who is running in this race, but his campaign doesn’t seem to be very active yet. And you can see by his web site http://www.forestbakerforcongress.com/
that he is not ready to run a modern internet based camoaign. And a radio host said on air this morning that he hadn’t been able to get Mr. Baker to return his calls to try to set up an interview with him.

Chris Pareja has been working hard on his campaign and he seems to be the best chance we have of voting Rep. Stark out of office if he can get on the November ballot.

wren on August 2, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Better get to work on that ship to colonize Mars.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I would if I could, if only to get away from statists like you and 0bama, and live in freedom.

But I’ll settle to live in a free and independent Texas, which is a much much closer possibility.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM

It’s past bed time where I am.

Good night and God bless you all

DarkCurrent on August 2, 2010 at 4:33 PM

God bless you too DarkCurrent.

right2bright on August 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM

A lack of understanding seems to be all they bring to the table.

sharrukin on August 2, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Funny indeed, seems as if both of you left due to bringing a lack of understanding to the table.

Unless, of course, you are asking your wives…..

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM

So it really is about Obama. Thanks for admitting that.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Where have I heard this hopey changey rhetoric before?

Good luck to you!

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 5:04 PM

So it really is about Obama. Thanks for admitting that.

Admitting I don’t want to live in 0bama’s “progressive” gulag? I think most folks here would admit to same.

Where have I heard this hopey changey rhetoric before?

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 5:04 PM

You buy into 0bama’s utopian dreams of America, not I.

I wish for the “old” dream of living in a constitutional republic under rule of law, even if that requires a new nation to emerge.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Thanks for the laugh.

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM

This was even more funny…nothing like a fool being caught, then Googling his answer.
Sometimes it is just best for you to have said “Good one, you got me”, then we could all respect each other…but instead you try to “talk” your way out of being a fool.
I left (and I suspect the other also) because it is embarrassing to watch some one dangle at the end of a rope.
Next time, cut you loses, and be still my friend. We would have soon forgotten you.

right2bright on August 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Stark states what every liberals lives to do…they have no respect for the constitution, it is just some written notes on a piece of paper from long ago.
What liberals write, now that is important, and can never be undone…pathetic little creatures.

right2bright on August 2, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Googling my answer, is that the best you can do?

I read the comment and responded accordingly.

I was thinking the same thing of you.

right2bright on August 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM

You left because my question was valid and you and the other poster were wrong in your assumption.

Rebar admitted his desire for his utopian state is more about Obama and less about his perceived loss of liberty here.

I simply called out those that support the Confederacy, or those that support nullification.

You seem to be dangling from the rope that supports one or the other.

Or is it both?

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Stark is right. But he forgot to mention that it is when a Dhimmicrat president is in office, and the dhimmicrats run the congress, then the constitution doesn’t mean squat.

They would burn it on the front lawn of the White House if they thought they could get away with it.

Timothy S. Carlson on August 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM

rukiddingme on August 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM

In what fever-dream did you see that?

And my “utopian” state is… the federal government abiding by the Constitution. Clearly the document has no special significance to you, if you so easily jettison it in favor of eating whatever crap sandwich 0bama and the “progressives” passes to you.

Samuel Adams has something to say to you and your ilk:

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Rebar on August 2, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Notice when she says “If they can DO THIS… What can’t they?”, she gets some applause from the audience but over half are sitting there almost comatose. I assume those people probably support the slavery position and were probably waiting their turn to whine about not getting enough of other people’s stuff. I could be wrong, but sadly, I don’t believe that I am.

painfulTruthDisciple on August 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM

wow I skimmed the comments after watching the video and reading the article.

All I can say is wow.
To defend this nincompoop would take a whole lot of incompetent government mommy state I am perpetually and happily unemployed slurping.

I was amazed by several quotes by Stark in the past. Now I am truly alarmed.

Wake up California.

seesalrun on August 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Errr…not to distract from the statist/libertarian name-calling…but speaking of body language, did anyone else note Stark’s response to ‘You, sir, and those who think like you are destroying this Nation.’?

He simply looks at the camera and nods.

Yeah…alarm is the right word.

Right on August 2, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Both sides need to leave the Constitution ALONE.

fastestslug on August 3, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Stark Ravingmad is at it again. Another Godless communist who thinks he is the smartest man on the planet.

dthorny on August 3, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Both sides need to leave the Constitution ALONE.

fastestslug on August 3, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Both sides? Oh, you’re another 3rd party democrat pusher?

The republicans have not been in control of congress since 2006.

ALL OF THESE ECONOMIC WOES ARE DIRECT RESULTS OF DEMOCRAT POLICIES: raised minimum wage resulted in job losses, AIG bailouts, Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac bailouts, GM bailouts, stimulus plan 1 and 2, healthcare rammed through illegally (less than 60 votes) and “deemed” passed, financial regulations, Acorn scandals, SEIU beatings of black republicans, new black panthers, 2008 congressional voter fraud in Minnesota, Acorn voter fraud in many key states in 2008 presidential race, sub prime mortgages FORCED by democrats caused the entire financial meltdown (McCain was leading by 5% at the time), cash for clunkers-fail, cash for caulkers-fail, cash for appliances-fail, Chevy Volt-fail already,

Barrack Hussein Obowma – FAIL.

Vote for republican conservatives in 2010 and 2012!!!

dthorny on August 3, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Stark has voiced the opinion of the current democratic administration. Since Obama has been in office our constitution has been torn up and ignored. For this idiot to say there is nothing in the constitution that would stop the government from doing anything to the people, is really scary. We need to get these people out of office soon or this country will cease to exist as we know it.

Wills on August 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I lived in the area of Congressman Stark. I tell you this is one of those blunders that subconsciously saying he wants out. So let’s help him out.

If you do not the next sanctuary city will be Hayward. Looking at the census his district demographics, he has a above average % of Blacks, and Hispanics, and a lower graduation rate from High School.

The word from my contacts in the area are also highlighting a larger number of the Blacks are adopting Islamic (Shia) ideals which is not a good mix with the latino’s, La Rosa and M13 influence.

MSGTAS on August 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Both sides?
Vote for republican conservatives in 2010 and 2012!!!

dthorny on August 3, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Republicans talking of repealing amendments and this moron saying the Constitution doesn’t matter. You’re all morons.

I’m not voting for anyone in November. I’m one of those people both sides have turned off and could care less at this point.

fastestslug on August 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Chris Pareja is an Independent candidate who is gathering signatures so he can run against Rep. Pete Stark.

According to Chris Pareja’s Facebook update today, he needs 7,500 valid signatures from registered voters in California’s 13th District by Friday August 6th in order to get on the ballot.

If you know anybody who lives in the 13th District (which includes portions of Alameda, Castro Valley,San Leandro, San Lorenzo, Hayward, Union City, Fremont, Newark, Sunol and Pleasanton) please encourage them to contact Chris Pareja’s campaign to find out how they can help to collect petition signatures to get Chris on the ballot.

FYI – Forest Baker won the Republican Primary in this district, but as you can see from his web site
it doesn’t look like he is prepared to run a modern internet based campaign against Rep. Stark.

So we really need to get Chris Pareja on the ballot!

wren on August 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM