Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on July 31, 2010 by Allahpundit

***
So another Bam task force making something nobody wants, and even the defenders in the Fake Media — I’m reading some of the critics of me out there in the partisan political operative media — say, “Well, I guess Mr. Limbaugh was opposed to the Internet because it wasn’t fast enough at first. I guess he was opposed to getting into buying products that…” You people fail to understand. You do not make any effort to understand. This is not a criticism of General Motors and it is not a criticism of the Volt. We in the country class of this great nation are aghast. We are apoplectic over the fact that a bunch of know-nothings, a bunch of people who have a chip on their shoulder about this country are now running some of the greatest industries that twine this country’s greatness — and they don’t know diddly-squat, and they’re turning these great industries into nothing more than arms of their political agenda.

The Chevrolet Volt is a political statement. When President Obama is driving around in a limousine that has every protection and has the same weight that his current gasoline-powered limousine has and when it’s powered by a battery, then I’ll think about it. When Air Force One is powered by solar panels or windmills or self-generating propellers or whatever the hell else the wizards of smart have on the design table, then I’ll think about getting on one. But putting four seats on top of a lawn mower that runs on premium gasoline as a “backup,” is not innovation. It is classic liberal screw-upism, incompetence, and danger.

***
The problem is not the cost of the engine (which serves as a dynamo that recharges the batteries, and allows the Volt to go another 320 miles, beyond the 40 miles it gets on electricity). It is running out of electricity in a snow storm on the New Jersey Turnpike on the one day a month you go to Granny’s. By building in the capacity to use the existing gasoline infrastructure, it turns the electric car into something a family of four can entertain as their only car. This is revolutionary…

It is precisely because the Volt is the first car with a real shot at the mainstream car market that we should be thinking about its impact, and the impact of all electric vehicles, on the economy as a whole. What makes the Volt such a landmark is that electric cars are the killer app for the smart grid.

This launch of the Volt, really, should be seen as comparable to the launch of personal computers. The car makes sense as a solution to the problem of gas prices and ecological responsibility, the same way the personal computer made sense as a solution to the problem of having to retype documents. But in the same way that the ubiquity of personal computers drove the development of the Internet, the growing presence of electric cars will drive the development of the smart grid, and all the infrastructure jobs this entails.

***
Look at me. “[C]onsider this declaration: The electric car ‘has long been recognized as the ideal solution’ because it ‘is cleaner and quieter’ and ‘much more economical.’ That story was published by The New York Times on November 12, 1911.” “The electric car ‘has long been recognized as the ideal solution’ because it ‘is cleaner and quieter’ and ‘much more economical.’” The New York Times, 1911. “[T]he new Chevy Volt costs as much as a new Mercedes-Benz C350, consider this assessment by a believing reporter: ‘Prices on electric cars will continue to drop until they are within reach of the average family.’” That’s what a reporter said this week about the Volt: “Prices on electric cars will continue to drop until they are within reach of the average family.” (interruption) That’s what I said yesterday: If you’ve got 41 grand in a Mercedes C class… (interruption) Look, this is what’s sad to me. I am not here to (sigh) rip into General Motors. At any rate, it is what it is. (interruption) Mercedes has a sunroof, yeah. (interruption) Don’t… Don’t… (interruption) Snerdley, just cool it. Cool it in there. Just cool it in there. Yes, it has real seats. It’s got a bench seat. It’s got… (interruption) Yeah. It’s got headroom and leg room, yeah. (interruption) Just be quiet. Rob in Wichita, I do not want General Motors to fail. It’s just the exact opposite. This is painful.

***
General Motors said Friday that it is boosting production capacity for its new Chevrolet Volt due to strong public interest in the electric car that goes on sale this year.

GM will now have a production capacity of 45,000 vehicles in 2012, up from previous plans for 30,000 vehicles.

***
Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Allah, are you back on vacation?

VidOmnia on July 31, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Why don’t we just let the free market decide…

… Let the first one who wants to buy a car from Obowma and that wonderful sales pitch from Mr. Gibbs step on up an put their money on the table.

Don’t forget to read the fine print. Just like ObowmaCare, they exempted themselves from the warranty…

Seven Percent Solution on July 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM

For a hundred years, people have not wanted electric cars because they do not go fast.

I think the Obama should just mandate that every family buy an electric car. Then some foolish and anachronistic State will launch a constitutional challenge. Then some bureaucratic lizard masquerading as a judge will write a laughable opinion affirming Obama, thus inspiring confidence in the law. Then we can all get down!

GTR640 on July 31, 2010 at 9:13 PM

I can’t believe anyone thinks GM is gonna sell 45,000 of these things.

joejm65 on July 31, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Umm that little Wall Street Journal musical sting is kind of the best.

TheBlueSite on July 31, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Considering the sad state of the housing market it seems that one could buy a home or a condo for $41k, vs. the ObamaMobile.

I’ll take the house for $40k, Alex.

Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Obama, the Volt, GM, and Gibbs.

All jokes.

Inanemergencydial on July 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM

When Air Force One is powered by solar panels or windmills or self-generating propellers or whatever the hell else the wizards of smart have on the design table, then I’ll think about getting on one. But putting four seats on top of a lawn mower that runs on premium gasoline as a “backup,” is not innovation. It is smart have on the design table, then I’ll think about getting on one.

Spot on. And additionally when the elites like Leo DiCaprio sell their private jets and fly coach, I’ll take them a little more seriously when they sanctimoniously talk about the Prius they drive.

Kataklysmic on July 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I heard that they are great for driving around the corner to your waiting SUV. Maybe every member of the House and Senate should have one issued at their swearing in…/

KZnextzone on July 31, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Oops, looks like I messed up the cut and paste of the quote I was using. That’ll teach me to post from my phone. $#%@!

Kataklysmic on July 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM

“[T]he new Chevy Volt costs as much as a new Mercedes-Benz C350,

Unless the Volt costs more than MBZ-S600, I’m not even looking at it. No way.
Volt is cheap.

macncheez on July 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM

They must be planing a $20,000.00 rebate for 2012 as a re-election stimulus for bo.

tim c on July 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I can’t believe anyone thinks GM is gonna sell 45,000 of these things.

joejm65 on July 31, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I think we’re about to see where some of the stimulus type funds have their strings attached. I predict that the bulk of these will go to federal agencies, states and, through some legislative and economic “agreements”, municipalities in those states.

We’ll hear stories by campaign season of 2011 about how they should’ve built 20,000 more.

rogerb on July 31, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Well they’re mandating that we buy health insurance I guess next they’ll be mandating that we buy a Volt.

Oldnuke on July 31, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Nobody is going to buy a PoS Chevy Volt for 40 grand. Unless of course they are a fool.

Old eagle on July 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I think the Obama should just mandate that every family buy an electric car.

GTR640 on July 31, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Ya, kinda like health care right? That’s the ticket.

whbates on July 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Converting gasoline powered, internal combustion energy into electric energy doesn’t do anything for the environment…it’s less efficient than driving the car directly off of the mechanical drive train connected to the IC engine. Neither does plugging in enormous battery array into a wall socket in the garage…unless there is a clean, nuclear power plant at the other end and the grid has been beefed up to handle to the load. Since the Enviro-weenies have ensured that only coal based power plants could be built in this country since the 1970s, you just move the source of combustion from your car to a coal fired power plant. Idiots!

This is 100% smoke and mirrors, flim-flam. None of this accomplishes any of the stated ‘environmental’ goals that are claimed.

Now, given that we get absolutely no net environmental benefit (and probably generate more pollution in the process) from this thing and the car is ridiculously expensive and generally sux…who does this enormous waste of money and resources benefit…Obama. But only if he can convince enough of his sub-moronic fan-boys to buy it.

AUINSC on July 31, 2010 at 9:27 PM

GM actually had something that was clean for the environment and efficient and had power, hydrogen…the government killed that project

Conservative Voice on July 31, 2010 at 9:27 PM

There is a 4 bedroom 1.5 bath house at the end of my street (big corner lot) for sale for $49,000 or best offer.

Or you could buy the Volt.

myrenovations on July 31, 2010 at 9:27 PM

You bet we should have walked away. Despite their reassurances lies, we will never get our money back.

mchristian on July 31, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Why the hell buy this when a Ford Focus is 16,000?

Holger on July 31, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Hmmm. I wonder if that price tag includes a complimentary Obama bumper sticker?

They are rare these days.

Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 9:32 PM

zThe Volt is the Smoke and Mirror component that will let GM make the latest CAFE standards.

Other manufacturers will have to develop a similar car to be CAFE compliant.

Inanemergencydial on July 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Who are these people who would dutifully re-charge it after 40 miles? Where do you re-charge it? In your garage? What if you live in a condo or apartment? I’m thinking people might buy one, then slack off real fast on the electric feature when they see a jump in their utility bill. Plus it runs on premium?

betsyz on July 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM

AUINSC on July 31, 2010 at 9:27 PM

LOL! I am going to make a tee shirt or bumper sticker with Obama’s big head and the caption will be “Captain Flim Flam”

Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Conservative Voice on July 31, 2010 at 9:27 PM

To be fair that was a Bush initiative and because of that, dead under Obama. Also it actually uses more energy in the conversion that it produces. I know that is a minor point when your trying to save the world but anyway it was point number 1 that kill it I’m sure.

whbates on July 31, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Allah, are you back on vacation?

VidOmnia on July 31, 2010 at 9:03 PM

He’s probably at the Chelsea Clinton Royal Wedding.

:P

tru2tx on July 31, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Man there’s a lot of Volt envy going on here. Don’t hate the Volt because it’s electrical.

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I don’t get all the fuss. Doesn’t the Pius already do pretty much the same thing? Is the excitement because you can also plug it in and treat it as a golf cart for 40 miles? Whee.

I don’t pay enough attention to Rush, if this rant is reflective of the caliber of work he’s doing these days. Great stuff.

Splunge on July 31, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Chelsea & husband dujour left their wedding reception via Volt!

BHO Jonestown on July 31, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I can’t wait for the first story about someone getting their utilities shut off because they couldn’t afford the increased utility bill after they bought a Volt and the car payment along with the utility payment was too much for them.

It will happen. Because someone will overextend themselves thinking that they are going to save on gas and instead they will have no home, no car, and no job.

journeyintothewhirlwind on July 31, 2010 at 9:39 PM

This is a product ordered to be produced by the Central Committee who will also order consumers to buy it, and GM will still fill warehouses with inventory that no one wants.

Skandia Recluse on July 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM

When Obowma is done with government service…

… I am sure he will make a heck or used car sales mongrel.

Seven Percent Solution on July 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Don’t worry, the Volt is only being sold by Dem donor dealers this year. CA, DC, NY, TX (Austin?), MI, NJ, CT.

/ not kidding

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I’d love to see Top Gear test drive the Chevy Volt…

Holger on July 31, 2010 at 9:43 PM

The picture of Obama in that tiny car at the rushlimbaugh link is p r i c e l e s s.

Inanemergencydial on July 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM

And I am hoping Ed/AP have a headline about the Washington Post article/Drudge on the dispersants used in the Gulf? Approved for use 74 times over 54 days.

A restriction that isn’t a restriction is a cover- they wanted the oil to go away and they didn’t want the environuts screaming at them. Now we all get to hold our breathe and see what the long/short term effects are for the dispersants.

I am so glad I didn’t go down to see the gulf for myself and take the kids and go swimming in the water if it “looked clear” because I am betting that some of those that did will find they have unexplained rashes etc months from now.

journeyintothewhirlwind on July 31, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Great monologue from El Rushbo – he nails it. Thanks for making this the q.o.t.d…

Buy Danish on July 31, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Hmmm. I wonder if that price tag includes a complimentary Obama bumper sticker?
They are rare these days.
Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 9:32 PM
Not here In Athens Geogia!! There are some koolaid drinks still here.

grapeknutz on July 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I’ll think about buying a volt right after they use one for the presidential limo.

txag92 on July 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on July 31, 2010 at 9:39 PM

You sound like a hyperventilating liberal. Calm down.

The power bill will be approx $80 per month max (vs $250 for gas vehicle)

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Dang, it just pi##es me off to pay my money so that someone else can buy one of these toilets.

PaCadle on July 31, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Some of you have Volt Derangement Syndrome

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Didn’t we get a lecture on air-conditioning usage just the other day? I suppose it depends on watts watt.

betsyz on July 31, 2010 at 9:49 PM

The Obama Administration: Unsafe At Any Speed.

This is what happens when you turn bond holders into road kill.

And by the way, I will not, repeat not, purchase a GM or Chrysler product until a) the government has completely divested itself of any ownership stake and b) the UAW has completely divested itself of any ownership stake.

Looks like I will be buying an F-150, just like “Motorhead” Gibbs suggested.

turfmann on July 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Some of you have Volt Derangement Syndrome

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:49 PM

41,000 dollars for a car no better than a Ford Focus.

Holger on July 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM

The logic of the Chevy Volt and so many other “green” ideas, brings two things to mind;

1) We have one “water saving” toilet in the house. You have to flush it several times, as you are using it. Even at that, it constantly gets plugged up and you have to get out the plunger. I bought a great throne for my “man cave” that advertises that it flush two dozen golf balls at once. I’ve never had to use a plunger on it. It brings me true happiness.

2) My daughter and her husband have two “green” cars and two little kids. When we visit, the four adults, a baby and a toddler can’t fit in one car, so we have to take two cars wherever we go.

Sometimes, “green” is really just stupid.

Star20 on July 31, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I can believe Government Motors building 45,000 of these suckers… selling them is another matter.

Maybe they can follow one of the Yugo dealerships that started giving away a free bicycle with every car they sold. Notice the lovely Yugo market today? That is what happens when governments run auto companies…

ajacksonian on July 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM

41,000 dollars for a car no better than a Ford Focus.

Holger on July 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I don’t guess you are their target market. :)

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Does anyone honestly beleive that if GM and Chrysler had had to go through a real bankruptcy that no one…absolutly no one would have picked up the slack and started making cars? Really? 1 million jobs lost? America is so lacking in every sense that once GM and Chrysler closed…thats it, no more American cars…we are done. 1 million folks out of work and the American auto industry is done…give me a freakin break.

Koa on July 31, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I LOVE the Volt!

In a few short years, Volt will become the poster car for why you never ever again want to allow gubmint to meddle in private industry. Volt is to the auto industry like Trofim Lysenko was to the Russian economy and Dan Rather was to the mainstream media. Self-destructing.

We don’t seem to have the guts/skill to defeat these leftists by ourselves, so we need the founders of Volts, Rathers, and Lyenkos to defeat themselves unwittingly on our behalf.

Like the pilot in Dr. Strangelove put it as he was riding bareback down the bomb , “Yeehaaaaw!”

petefrt on July 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Koa on July 31, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Actually, Chrysler did go bankrupt in the 80′s and Lee Iococca brought them back stronger than ever. Barack Hussein Obama mmm mmm mm? Eh, I think they’re toast.

Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I don’t guess you are their target market. :)

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Darn right. I’ll get the Ford Focus with an Audi engine that will get 35 miles to a gallon for about 25K and laugh at the pretentious pricks who paid double for a car twice as bad.

Holger on July 31, 2010 at 9:55 PM

ajacksonian on July 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Hah! The Yugo… fond memories. I never bought one but I got stuck driving one back from an auto auction. That poor car was like a tin can and I think it had an aluminum engine block (like a Chevy Vega). Poor thing overheated if you went over 45mph. They were all the rage in the Carter Era because they got good gas mileage!

Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Just what we need. A small car with a fairly low range that’s primarily powered by coal, with a gasoline powered generator as backup.

People who buy this car deserve what they get.

applebutter on July 31, 2010 at 9:57 PM

What kind of company designs a car that only goes 40 miles on a charge? I work 17 miles from my home, which would be 34 miles round trip. I also drive to lunch and sometimes do some errands during lunch. I’m running out of charge and I’m the exception rather than the rule.

So, let’s say I bought a volt, what is it going to do to my electric bill, having to recharge this puppy every day? I could be wrong, but I understand it takes 4 hours to charge it. That would work out to approximately 80 hours per month.
I could buy a Prius, and not pay anything to charge the car. If I get 50 mpg, I got through .6 gallons of gas a day which, at present prices would be $1.66. My present car ggets 20 mpg, so I use about 1.5 gallons a day for a cost of $4.14.

I guess what this all boils down to is the government needs to raise the price of gasoline to over $5.00 to make the Volt a viable enterprise for GM. Watch what happens if the volt doesn’t work out as planned. Don’t think they’ll do it? Just watch.

bflat879 on July 31, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I put myself on the waiting list a couple or more years ago at http://gm-volt.com – before everything went south and the government stepped in.

Being on the list, I had the opportunity to fill out surveys on it’s design and price and, at one time, many moon ago, it was going to be a low-priced, sporty looking car. I liked the looks and the price they were projecting. I was going to get one. It made sense seeing that I live in a small New England town, have no life, and never go anywhere. I’d never buy gas again!

Then they screwed with the design (to make it more aerodynamic, they say)

Now they screwed with the price.

And if you do need “fill ‘er up”, the generator requires premium!

Needless to say, I’m sticking with my Chevy truck with 250k miles that I bought in 1991 that gets 10 miles to the gallon.

GM use to make a good vehicle.

Rod on July 31, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I can’t believe anyone thinks GM is gonna sell 45,000 of these things.

joejm65 on July 31, 2010 at 9:14 PM

They don’t have to sell them. GM has got you and me to pay the union workers salaries and benefits. Why would they ever have to produce a quality car that sells?

Tommy_G on July 31, 2010 at 9:58 PM

If you want to get angry. Ask why Obama got rid of Saturn. Obama closed 350 Saturn dealerships and killed 13,000 jobs.

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:59 PM

The major car companies in the US are: Ford, Toyota and Honda.

We won’t lose jobs if GM and Chrysler disappeared, as the others would expand production to pick up their market share. GM isn’t a car company, anyways, it is a lending company that happens to make cars, that is why it was bailed out. Chrysler was window dressing to help it ensure the deal with a prospective buyer… who then walked away from the deal.

These bail-outs just get better and better as you look at them, no?

ajacksonian on July 31, 2010 at 10:01 PM

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Some of us don’t spend $250 a month on gas. Maybe $160. But I would be concerned about plugging in another item on the electric box. How many of us are at the limit of what our electric box can take?

journeyintothewhirlwind on July 31, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Good Lord, 40 miles on a charge? How on earth can the GM marketing team put that specification on paper with a straight face?

Conservalicious on July 31, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Considering that it takes 22 years before you save enough in gas to justify the huge expense for a Volt, the only people that are going to buy these are people who can afford to pay an extra $20,000 without caring if they make it up in gas cost savings. In other words, only the rich who want to “save the planet”.

Since only the rich will be buying these, giving them a $7500 tax credit amounts to nothing more than a tax break for the rich. Didn’t Democrats used to hate tax breaks for the rich.

The poor middle class guy who pays taxes is subsidizing the purchase of a Volt for some rich guy. This is wealth redistribution alright: from the poor and middle class to the rich.

JohnInCA on July 31, 2010 at 10:03 PM

>> We have one “water saving” toilet in the house. You have to flush it several times, as you are using it. Even at that, it constantly gets plugged up and you have to get out the plunger.<<

Wealthy liberals do not have this problem. They buy "water saving" toilets from Toto, which cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars, in order to make the tiny amount of water do the job. Then they sit back, satisfied, unable to imagine how anyone could justify failing to follow their example.

Splunge on July 31, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Yup 40 miles on a charge.

My Insight gets 45mpg… and cost less than half of the Volt in 2001.

In theory I would be the prospective ‘audience’ for a Volt, save I already have a better, more reliable vehicle that costs less and paid itself back over my prior car… which was a Honda Civic Wagon that got a paltry 30 mpg. Someone isn’t making ‘smart’ cars out there, and it sure ain’t Honda.

ajacksonian on July 31, 2010 at 10:04 PM

We had electric cars 100 years ago. NICE ONES.

Women hated the Model T, cause you had to crank the thing (before starters became an option) and you had that planetary transmission to deal with, which was a POS.

The electric car was outfitted for a lady. Closed car, nice interior, and it rode well for it’s day.

It would go 5 times farther on pure electric power as the friggin’ 2011 Chevy Volt!

Billions upon billions flushed down the toilet to give the world a 1911 Detroit Electric!

gary4205 on July 31, 2010 at 10:04 PM

ajacksonian on July 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 9:57 PM

In the Yugo’s defense, the plant was blown in the early 90s. Also they were sold new in the US from 1985 to 1989, those were the Reagan years.

Tommy_G on July 31, 2010 at 10:05 PM

It costs about $2 to $3 per day to charge a Volt.

/ Chevy needs to start paying me for this stuff (hey, call me)

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Someone isn’t making ’smart’ cars out there, and it sure ain’t Honda.

ajacksonian on July 31, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Look up the Dualnote. It was a hybrid whose ICE would deliver 400 hp at 55 mpg.

Holger on July 31, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Does Gibbs have secret service agents to either side of him? The Volt may be shabby deal, but it can’t be that bad, can it?

sharrukin on July 31, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Seems like I read a while back that BMW produces a diesel powered car that gets 60 mpg but it isn’t available for expoert, at least to the US. Haven’t heard anything since but I can tell you folks this: The Volt is GM’s Edsel. GM went in the toilet for building too many products that weren’t worth sh*t and wouldn’t sell. Thanks to the unions, they were expensive pieces of sh*t. Now Obamarrhoid and company think they can snooker the buyer again. We’ll see. Anyone remember the Izetta?

LarryG on July 31, 2010 at 10:08 PM

It’s a political trap to oppose the Volt. It makes you look unhinged (read the comments) and it’s just a distraction. As bad as I hate to say it, but Rush is wrong.

Hit Obama for closing hundreds of GM dealerships (99% GOP donors). Stay focused.

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I’m shooting for an F-350 with crew cab and 4wd to replace my 1995 Buick Roadmaster Station Wagon, if it ever dies.

DrStock on July 31, 2010 at 10:10 PM

It’s a political trap to oppose the Volt.

… for political purposes, I mean.

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Sorry for the typo. It’s Isetta. For a look at a “gree” car go here:

LarryG on July 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM

The Volt has a usable 9KW lithium battery. GM claims that this will get you 40 miles.
To charge a 9KW battery with the best efficient charger would take around 12KW. With the cost of electricity averaging around 10 cents/KW, that’s about $1.20. Compared to a gasoline car with a 40MPG rating, this is about 2-3 times less in operating cost.
Now at 41 grand, does it pay for itself eventually?

Electrongod on July 31, 2010 at 10:12 PM

“Well, I guess Mr. Limbaugh was opposed to the Internet because it wasn’t fast enough at first.”

As usual you guessed wrong.

Limbaugh was an early supporter/user of the internet and computers in general.
Only problem he’s a mac guy.

The “Volt” is a “286 -10” in a “Quad Core world”

DSchoen on July 31, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Which is to say that it will be perfectly useless for the next twenty years, but will have a fantastic nerd quotient in 2030, when (like the TRS-80) archaic-adopters can say “We had a Volt when I was a kid.” And their peers can sentimentally commiserate about how they had to eat ramen noodles for two years after they had to replace the battery.

Tanya on July 31, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Douchemobile

justltl on July 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM

rogerb on July 31, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Barry will probably designate the Volt as the new Border Patrol chase car.

Patrick S on July 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:37 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:43 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:49 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:53 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:59 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 10:07 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM

OK!

Inanemergencydial on July 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Conservalicious on July 31, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Ahem, do you remember the hype earlier this year that it would run for 240 miles? I guess that must have been a type. Huff Po Said So!

Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 10:15 PM

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:37 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:43 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:49 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:53 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:59 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 10:07 PM
faraway on July 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM

OK!

Inanemergencydial on July 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM

The UAW pays by the word, so give the guy a break!

sharrukin on July 31, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Douchemobile

justltl on July 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM

LMAO! Douchemobiles! Getcha Douchemobile Right Heah! Comes with a free Obama bumper sticker! Don’t Miss out on getting your very own Douchemobile! hahahahaa.

Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 10:16 PM

The one thing that makes me chuckle about the Volt is that the UAW is now the majority owner of this Obama-mobile disaster!

Conservalicious on July 31, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Gad, this person is trying too hard.

MayBee on July 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM

GM isn’t a car company, anyways, it is a lending insurance company that happens to make cars…

ajacksonian on July 31, 2010 at 10:01 PM

FIFY.

The ex-CEO of GM himself said that he thought he was taking the job to be CEO of a car company, but because of union commitments found out he was actually in charge of a health insurance company that happened to make cars.

Midas on July 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Then when 100 million people are all plugging in their cars at night, we can watch the rolling power outages sweep across the cities.

Bishop on July 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Tommy_G on July 31, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Woops, my bad!

Key West Reader on July 31, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Rush also pointed out that the jobs that Gibbs is bragging about saving are only in jeopardy because the envirowonks like Obama have mandated CAFE standards that have driven buyers away.

snaggletoothie on July 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM

It is as effecient as currently existing models for 4 times the cost. Think about that.

The only people who would buy it are the ones who wait in line hours for the next apple product.

Holger on July 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM

In a used car lot at the edge of town, A liberal guy and a liberal gal buy a YUGO…

KZnextzone on July 31, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I hope when these things bomb the ingenious liberals mandate that all state Highway patrol drive one of these.

Yeeehhhaaaa no more tickets for me! Down the highway at 90 in my F-150 and when they try to pull me over I’m gone or head for the dirt roads and lose em in the dust.

Question is can the things drive on the battery and run the radar gun also?
Whats the Premium Gas engine back up a 1/2 liter v-2?

WOW, I’ll think I’m 17 again! I might even buy another motorcycle just to taunt them real good!

Looks like I will be buying an F-150, just like “Motorhead” Gibbs suggested.

turfmann on July 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Got one a 1999 40,000 miles. Only Ford or foreign for me until unions and govt are out of the car business! Sonny boy wants a Charger I told him nope a Mustang will have to do.

dhunter on July 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Some of you have Volt Derangement Syndrome

faraway on July 31, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I take it, you’ll be the first in line then…I can’t wait to see how that works our for you.

AUINSC on July 31, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Now at 41 grand, does it pay for itself eventually?

Electrongod on July 31, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Plus: does the battery last forever (yeah, right) and how much do those babies cost?

Then will they recycle the dead batteries or find some other creative disposal?

Enquiring mind wants to know!

tru2tx on July 31, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I can’t wait for the Volt to fail like BetaMax. But I doubt it will. It will be subsidized by GM and the government so it will never be canceled. Political considerations, and CAFE standards dictate that even if they sell only a handful, the Volt is useful to GM.

keep the change on July 31, 2010 at 10:27 PM

KZnextzone on July 31, 2010 at 10:22 PM

HAHA, In a Yugo

Inanemergencydial on July 31, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Electric cars are going nowhere until they can be sold as an economical 2nd vehicle that middle class families use for local driving…

ninjapirate on July 31, 2010 at 10:29 PM

In many areas (most?) around the country, massive infrastructure upgrades will be required to accommodate the new Obama Motors vehicles.

I’m sure the nice utility companies will foot the bill for the upgrades and not pass the cost on to the consumers.

Right?

VibrioCocci on July 31, 2010 at 10:29 PM

The Chevy Volt is going nowhere fast because we don’t have enough on our electrical grids. We can barely support our power needs during summer without blackouts, are we to be able to add thousands/millions of electric cars without upgrading the grids? Obambi hates the coal that fuels our grids; he’s not doing nuclear. So, the Volt is pure environmentalist masturbation. That’s all.

SilentWatcher on July 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM