Under the bus: Obama finds Rangel charges “very troubling,” hopes he ends career “with dignity”

posted at 7:53 pm on July 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

I … was unaware that Rangel was in the process of ending his career. Also unaware? Charlie Rangel.

Hey, remember that scene in “Godfather II” when Michael kissed Fredo?

“I think Charlie Rangel served a very long time and served– his constituents very well. But these– allegations are very troubling,” Obama told Harry Smith in an interview to be aired on the “Early Show.” and first broadcast on the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric.

A krazy kwestion for you: Now that House investigators have gone face-first into the tank by dealing Rangel a teensy wrist slap over 13 separate ethics charges, why would The One float a soundbite this ominous? He’s pouring gas on a fire that’s just started to fizzle. Maybe the interview was taped earlier this afternoon, before he’d heard that nothing more than a reprimand had been recommended to the ethics subcommittee? If so, that’s significant in itself, as it suggests that even Obama expected something more draconian. Exit question: Never mind what happens to Rangel at this point. Does the “very troubling” line here give the GOP its golden attack-ad soundbite for the fall?

Comments

he won’t do it.

rob verdi on July 30, 2010 at 7:56 PM

[Obama] hopes he [Rangel] ends career “with dignity

Too late for that. A man does not have to win dignity, he only has to not lose it. Rangel lost his some time ago and Obama is not far behind.

Tav on July 30, 2010 at 7:59 PM

OK I get it. But who does Bawnie get to kiss?

OkieDoc on July 30, 2010 at 7:59 PM

How many more minorities must Obama hasten to leave public office. Did he ask Rangel to pull over?

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Rangel, don’t go fishing with Rahmn Emanuel…

d1carter on July 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Don’t listen, Rangel. Wrangle your office back from the brink. Do it for Sherrod!

Weight of Glory on July 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Wow, this could be a class-6 Obamaturism if he went shooting off at the mouth like this without having any idea what the “ethics” committee was going to do.

Either that, or he thinks its bad politics to let Rangel off the hook, and he’s not so subtly telling the powers of the House to at least try to make it look like they are doing some swamp draining.

forest on July 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Thud! Thud! Thud!

Charlie Rangel’s thrown under the bus!

Thud! Thud! Thud!

Charlie Rangel’s thrown under the bus!

And Charlie got thrown!

And Charlie got thrown!

Charlie Rangel’s thrown under the bus!

Hey!

Obama gonna throw you too!

Charlie Rangel’s thrown under the bus!

Thud! Thud! Thud!

pilamaye on July 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

Cheshire Cat on July 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I’m sure that– what he wants is to be able to– end his career with dignity.

With dignity? Why would he start now?

malclave on July 30, 2010 at 8:03 PM

The hotair express popup has worn out my patience. I’ve subscribed to it and the popup still haunts me.. I’m a compulsive hotair reader but your off the list for a week or more due to this annoyance.

Partisan on July 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Great question. I think answer can be found in the use of past tense phrasing: Rangel served

BobMbx on July 30, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Partisan on July 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Uh…what pop-up?

BobMbx on July 30, 2010 at 8:05 PM

The great god UNDERBUS is always…hungry.

Never forget this fact, Homer.

Wanderlust on July 30, 2010 at 8:05 PM

“And he’ll– he’s somebody who’s at the end of his career. Eighty years old. I’m sure that– what he wants is to be able to– end his career with dignity. And my hope is that– it happens.” – Obama

“Why don’t you mind your own G-d business” – Rangel

forest on July 30, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Haha,I predicted it!!!
===============================================
Meanwhile…….

What about Rangel…

Ah..um….after ah…Sherrod…and that unemploymentphoto
opGate…ah…I…think…ah…throw ah..um…Charlie…
ah…um…under da bus….and.ah..i..i..ah..um…going ah
golfing…ah…um….

canopfor on July 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM

canopfor on July 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Obama wants it to appear that he is distanced from Rangel’s corruption…but thats all it is . An appearance.
They are thick as thieves. Now that Rangel will not be punished, Hussain can go out and say he wishes otherwise but its not in his hands.
Its all a dirty game

macncheez on July 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I’m waiting for a statement from the Justice Brothers (Sharpton and J Jackson) so I know what to think about this clearly racist statement by Obama. /

conservative pilgrim on July 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

Cheshire Cat on July 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM

especially mongrels awares of their mongrelness….
/pbho

ted c on July 30, 2010 at 8:10 PM

“You’re 80 years old, Charlie. Your career can’t recover from this injury.

Here, let me give you a pain pill…”

cs89 on July 30, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Off topic:

“What is your beef with illegal immigration, Congressman?”

Guess the pundit. (Newsbusters has the answer)

Marcus on July 30, 2010 at 8:11 PM

A krazy kwestion for you
==================================

AllahPundit,that sounds like Barney Frank lingo,
*looks nervously around,for Banhammer Hammer
Death from above*–(I`m kidding):)

canopfor on July 30, 2010 at 8:11 PM

conservative pilgrim on July 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Hopefully the Reverend Jackson doesn’t threaten to “cut his nuts out” again.

forest on July 30, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Hey, remember that scene in “Godfather II” when Michael kissed Fredo?

Actually I was thinking more of the scene of Tom Hagen talking with Frankie Five Angels just before Frankie slit his own wrists.

James Moriarty on July 30, 2010 at 8:13 PM

“Su-eee-ciiiiiiide…”

Cylor on July 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM

=========================================

Maybe Obama has his position sold,I mean
filled !!

canopfor on July 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Rangel strikes me as a guy who knows he’s f’d up but doesn’t give a cr@p.

Plus, wouldn’t be a surprise if he wants to make life uncomfortable in the fall for all of his pals who have been coming out against him.

President They-Acted-Stupidly included.

tru2tx on July 30, 2010 at 8:16 PM

The voters of New York’s 15th District can end Rep. Rangel’s political career with or without dignity by voting him out of office!

There are 4 Democrats running against Rangel in New York’s Primary on September 14.

The Republican running against Rangel is Michel Faulkner.

Learn more about Michel Faulkner at his campaign website:

Clean the House and the Senate in 2010!

wren on July 30, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Its all a dirty game

macncheez on July 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM

macncheez: Bingo,like Pelosi,he`s going to stamp out
corruption,*rolls eyes*!!:)

canopfor on July 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Maybe Obama wants to distance himself from the mess and this is a cheap and easy way of doing so. Rangel doesn’t have anything to worry about and Obama can claim the mantle of virtue.

sharrukin on July 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM

They’ll blame Breitbart.

the_nile on July 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM

CYA!

CWforFreedom on July 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM

macncheez on July 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Like macncheez said!

sharrukin on July 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM

“Su-eee-ciiiiiiide…”

Cylor on July 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM

is painless…

Fighton03 on July 30, 2010 at 8:22 PM

A wrist slap and Barry’s sound bite will make a great video clip this fall. Followed by a Pelosi soundbite on Dollar Jefferson and right after the Pelosi clip about being ‘the most open, the most honest, the most ethical Congress, evah!’

GarandFan on July 30, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Sorry Charlie only the freshest tuna gets to ride on the Obama Bus Line. Watch the step on your way under.

tommyboy on July 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Hey,isn`t Maxine Waters verdict,due this weekend!!
=======================================================

Decision near on Maxine Waters ethics case

canopfor on July 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Heh, cornered House rat embarrasses White House rat into denouncing House rat for his rathood..

petefrt on July 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Oops,I mean`t in August or sumpin!

canopfor on July 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM

So, the White House is firing Charlie Rangel?
Ok, who stampeded them THIS time?

Arbalest on July 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I would suggest exiling Rangel to Elba, but some House members may be afraid it will capsize.

forest on July 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Even if The One is trying to distance himself, this was very clumsy. As POTUS, you don’t make statements like this without knowing what the ethics committee is thinking. Especially given someone like Rangel, with his protected class status, they had to know that a wrist-slap was a very likely outcome. A competent White House would have at least had a few discrete conversations with members of its own party on the committee before pronouncing an expected outcome that was more draconian than what is really going to happen.

AZfederalist on July 30, 2010 at 8:30 PM

To the Death Panel!

Joe Caps on July 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Maybe he can call a press conference and pull a Bud Dwyer..

KZnextzone on July 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I don’t really care if Rangel ends his career with “dignity.” He is, after all, only one of 500-plus unindicted co-conspirators in Congress.

What matters is that Osama Obama end his career. As quickly as possible. The only “dignity” he deserves is to be escorted off White House property before the cuffs are slapped on.

MrScribbler on July 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Obama trying to push Rangel out the door is more likely to infuriate Rangel.

This is reacting too quickly (a la Sherrod) to appear to have things well in hand before being fully cognizant of the facts.

Obama is a clumsy politician. He doesn’t know the House well enough to know what they will do. Didn’t he think he needed to speak with someone behind the scenes first? Is Rahm purposefully letting Obama fall on his face? What gives?

POTUS is such a poor executive he has not yet learned this.

INC on July 30, 2010 at 8:43 PM

This just keeps getting better.

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) has chosen to go through an ethics trial, like the one lined up for New York Rep. Charles Rangel, rather than accepting charges made by an ethics subcommittee, a source familiar with the process tells POLITICO.

Mark1971 on July 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Hey, remember that scene in “Godfather II” when Michael kissed Fredo?

REMEMBER? We’re living in that flick.

Excellent touch AP, this is the stuff that keeps HA in my Most Visited list in Firefox.

ontherocks on July 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Partisan on July 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

What he said!

therealfranklin on July 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Attack ad for what race? The big GOP insurgency in Harlem? Or for some generic RNC ad?

Since when does the RNC have enough money to run Party ads in off year elections against shoe-in candidates? You lost me on this one, Big A.

And speaking of the RNC, they called me today and some dolt started rambling through her canned speech before I cut her off with “Be sure to tell the RNC that A. I’m not giving them any money, and B. It’s because they stuffed Mark Kirk up my a$$ in Illinois. He’s a liberal Democrat and they endorsed him before he even announced he was running.”

He’s so bad he might allow the second worst Democrat Senate candidate in the U.S. to hold the Illinois seat while everyone in the U.S. laughs at Obama, Richie Daley, Blagojevich, and Roland Burris.

Jaibones on July 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Apparently Sherrod has decided on the job Obama’s going to give her.

chickasaw42 on July 30, 2010 at 8:55 PM

A krazy kwestion for you:

Gee, AP, you need to be kareful with those “k’s.” It’s like a bugle rally call for liberal trolls here, and you know that Zip has ignited the “race” fuse.

Here’s what I think is going on. BO knows the Dems are in for a beating with the midterm elections. He also acts hastily and stupidly, but if nothing else, he’s a slippery survivor.

The way he probably looks at all the flares going up these days is that Rangel isn’t going to get in his path. This time around he’s the one who needs to have someone standing between himself and the peasants with pitchforks…… like Lindsay Graham and other spineless RINOs.

Heh…. good luck with that. Hope I’m right. We all need a laugh.

Cody1991 on July 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM

How fun is this to watch the House ethics committee pursue corruption charges against two of the Congressional Black Caucus’s goofy race-victim stars, while a black President founders approaching the mid-terms?

Think this will help bring out the liberal vote?

Jaibones on July 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

President Jack Kevorkian orders mercy killing for Rangel. Welcome to obama care.

Captain America on July 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Does this mean he thinks Congressman Rangel acted stupidly?

ncborn on July 30, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Jaibones on July 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

From what I read, everyone in DC generally likes Rangel, though he needs to go.

Waters, on the other hand, doesn’t seem nearly so popular. I’m ashamed that I live in a country in which she can be elected by any voting group to elected office. She’s an absolute idiot, and she doesn’t seem to have any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I hope she goes down in a blazing ball of fire.

BuckeyeSam on July 30, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I sense a disturbance in the Force. It must be….an Obamateurism flowering in the DC cesspool.

GnuBreed on July 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Think this will help bring out the liberal vote?

Jaibones on July 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Isn’t this rather extreme arrogance on the part of Big Max and Rangel? They must assume that their special, victim status will not only absolve them but portray them as modern day racial martyrs. I can’t decide if this is all tiresome and tedious. They’re two slugs who will probably remain in office regardless of what happens.

At the very least I would like for Hank Johnson to be a character witness and advocate for Maxine. Between Maxine’s wigs and Hank’s stunning brilliance I’m simply mesmerized. It’s a real life horror show.

Cody1991 on July 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Let that be a lesson to you Charlie…. you should have been “clean and articulate”.

CC

CapedConservative on July 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM

I thought of Godfather last week when Rangel dressed down Luke Russert, saying something like “show some respect, etc.” Those that have been in Congress for too long seem to think that they are due some level of extraordinary respect just as a made-man in the Mafia does.

Madama Boxer, another one. Specter too.

slickwillie2001 on July 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM

From what I read, everyone in DC generally likes Rangel, though he needs to go.

BuckeyeSam on July 30, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Here’s a conspiracy thought for consideration: Waters is the sacrificial lamb (goat, medusa, whatever). The committee unleashes its full power on her, tosses her to the wolves in the media and while they are tearing her apart, Rangel gets a wrist slap in public and a high five in the back rooms.

AZfederalist on July 30, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Cody1991 on July 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Put the two of them in a room alone and you still wouldn’t have two functioning brain cells to rub together.

AZfederalist on July 30, 2010 at 9:20 PM

It isn’t the hoping he ends his career with dignity part that will convince Rangel… he doesn’t have any…

Its when he gets an anonymously sent copy of ‘Seppuku 4 Dummies’ that he will leave his seat.

ajacksonian on July 30, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Fat Charlie has done so many favors for the Democrat elite and this is how they treat him? I would hang on also.

As to ending his career with dignity, he hasn’t had any in his career so how would he find any now? Only Junior could think up such an empty platitude in this circumstance.

Besides, Fat Charlie has got bigger balls than Junior. He has paid his dues. If it were me, at that age and station in life, screw them all. I will write a memoir dedicated to those who ran when the going got tough and they thought they could put me down and save themselves.

Fight on, Charlie.

Harry Schell on July 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

AZfederalist on July 30, 2010 at 9:17 PM

What? A woman like Max isn’t going to let anyone pull some crap like that on her. Never! She’ll put her high heals on Rangel’s throat until he begs for some crackah to save him.

This is going to be interesting if you’re right. Trust me. Max will not let the Dems and CBC get away with something like this.

I’m taking bets on Max.

Cody1991 on July 30, 2010 at 9:35 PM

AZfederalist on July 30, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Maybe so, but I thought black women had absolute moral authority. Then, again, maybe Maxine wants to retire.

I still hope she leaves kicking and screaming with cameras rolling.

BuckeyeSam on July 30, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Hilarious — Obama finds Rangel “troubling.”

What does that make Obama?

rrpjr on July 30, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I find the Presidency of the DOTUS “very troubling” and I hope he resigns “with dignity”!!

God save the United States!!!

PappyD61 on July 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM

“You’re 80 years old, Charlie. Your career can’t recover from this injury.

Here, let me give you a pain pill…”

cs89 on July 30, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Ahhh! You beat me!

Jim-Rose on July 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Rangel “doesn’t give a damn” what Obama thinks. Refuses to step down.

FreeThinkerNYC on July 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Maybe he can call a press conference and pull a Bud Dwyer..

KZnextzone on July 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Wow. Hey man, nice shot.

teke184 on July 30, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Thud! Thud! Thud!

Charlie Rangel’s thrown under the bus!

Thud! Thud! Thud!

Charlie Rangel’s thrown under the bus!

And Charlie got thrown!

And Charlie got thrown!

Charlie Rangel’s thrown under the bus!

Hey!

Obama gonna throw you too!

Charlie Rangel’s thrown under the bus!

Thud! Thud! Thud!

pilamaye on July 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Q. What kind of a stupid poem is that supposed to be?

Q. What is a pilamaye?

I thought I was whacko until I started reading this site. Good to know I am with like people types. Does anyone have some spray thorzine?

jarhead0311 on July 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM

It appears president Spock feels Rangel is not quite the class of “mongrel” he can support or was expecting. After all, Harlem is not Hawaii or Kenya or Indonesia.

wepeople on July 30, 2010 at 10:46 PM

The Messiah certainly seems to stumble regularly into issues regarding the melatonin content of one’s skin…..particularly for the first “post partisan” president, but I digress.

Could this be a “make-up” for the botched Sherrod thing?….the “mongrel” comment?…. the “racist” elements of the Tea Party issue?

Everything the Obster does or says feels so hyper-contrived (think “who’s ass I’m going to kick.”), and he’s so race-aware.

I mean, this guy is losing independents, whites, and Jewish Americans, moderates of all colors and parties, and we hear again today that the young are bailing. He went on the friggin’ View for crying outloud – I mean what’s next, sitting in the DJ booth on that whacky morning zoo in Fresno with Mort Eddy and the Wizz?

As for the exit question – no….I don’t see this as the “golden soundbite”, but combine those words with an almost certain “wrist slap” and you’ve got a damn fine campaign ad.

Don’t be so impatient – at the rate this guy’s weewee’ing up, there’ll be plenty more.

Tim_CA on July 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Um… Soetoro is black?

BHO Jonestown on July 30, 2010 at 11:28 PM

The Democrats still aren’t getting it. They are making themselves into caricatures of themselves.

crosspatch on July 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I wasn’t aware that the Lame Stream Media even knew Rangel was up on charges. They are too busy following the Lindsey Lohan story so they can get O’s take on it.

Mr_Magoo on July 31, 2010 at 12:52 AM

I heard that the racist, white cracker authorities deported their first Arizona protestor. He is reportedly a Canadian!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Mr_Magoo on July 31, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Hey jarhead0311! Get that hundred dollar bill outta your nose, wipe off the white powder and try google!

Pilamaye is a Lakota word that means “I thank you from a heart full of love and gratitude.” As in, “thank you for risking your health and faith with me. I agree not to abuse it.”

Mr_Magoo on July 31, 2010 at 1:02 AM

And I believe the “poem” is a parody of a Queen song.

Ronnie on July 31, 2010 at 1:36 AM

The proposed sanction for Rangel dispels any notion that Congress has even an iota of ethics. He brings shame on the House revealing it for the cesspit we all suspect it was already.

{+_+}

herself on July 31, 2010 at 3:03 AM

1) Destroy the economy
2) Destroy the health care system
3) Destroy energy production
4) Destroy your own party
5) ????
6) Soros profits?

Merovign on July 31, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Rangel, don’t go fishing with Rahmn Emanuel…

d1carter on July 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM

too funny!

cmsinaz on July 31, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I would like to send out my sincerest wishes that you, President Obama take the same advice you’ve given Charlie Rangel!

MJBrutus on July 31, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Partisan on July 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Uh…what pop-up?

BobMbx on July 30, 2010 at 8:05 PM

try firefox. I get no ads, no pop-ups. you gotta play with the settings a bit, but well worth the effort.

RealMc on July 31, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Why didn’t dear leader just claim that Charlie acted stupidly? Well, Charlie’s old, he’s 80 and already stole enough from the suckers. Gotta know when to fold ‘em guy.

Kissmygrits on July 31, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Another Obama hypovehiculation!

Pablo Snooze on July 31, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Having Kevorkian throw Rangel under a bus and then leaving the corpse lying in the road is dignified, isn’t it?

andycanuck on July 31, 2010 at 11:59 PM