Quotes of the day

posted at 10:20 pm on July 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

“In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control,” the author wrote Wednesday on her Facebook page. “In the name of … Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.”…

Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian … It’s simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

***
Rice’s angry frustration with what she (and, let’s face it, many others) perceive to be a sort of Institution of No is interesting. She refuses to be “anti-gay,” but the church teaches that indeed we must not be anti-gay, that homosexual inclinations are not sinful in themselves, but that all are called to chastity, whether gay or straight…

Anne Rice wants to do the Life-in-Christ on her own, while saying “Yes” to the worldly world and its values. She seems not to realize that far from being an Institution of No, the church is a giant and eternal urging toward “Yes,”, that being a “yes” toward God–whose ways are not our ways, and who draws all to Himself, in the fullness of time–rather than a “yes” to ourselves.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

exception on July 31, 2010 at 2:07 AM

Hmm. I like the way you think.

John the Libertarian on July 31, 2010 at 2:16 AM

rihar on July 31, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Good post! ..But my favorite cartoon was the Pink Panther VS the invisible fly! :)

Dire Straits on July 31, 2010 at 2:20 AM

John the Libertarian on July 31, 2010 at 2:16 AM

You both are very good at the subject..I’m impressed! :)

Dire Straits on July 31, 2010 at 2:23 AM

year_of_the_dingo on July 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Since I’m a Christian, and don’t harbor any animosity to Jews, I’d say your statement is proven false. Since evangelical Christians across the country support Israel and hope for the best for Jews, your statement is doubly false. Since the New Testament says that Jews are “beloved for the father’s sakes,” and Paul says, “Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they might be saved,” I’d say that statement is false again. Since the Apostle Paul, known as the Apostle to the Gentiles, started his work in every city by going to the Jews first, I’d say that antisemitism is not remotely required by Christianity. In fact, it’s not even remotely acceptable.

Yes, there are references to “the Jews” in the Gospels. But these Gospels were written by Jewish men — with the exception of Luke, who was a Gentile, but a close compatriot of Paul the Apostle — about a Jewish man, Jesus, who during his entire life never left the nation of Israel, except for a few years in his childhood that he spent in Egypt. The crowds that came to hear Jesus were Jewish crowds, the apostles who he chose were Jewish apostles, and the first churches of the Christian faith were in Judea. So it should be obvious that a reference to “the Jews” was not to the entire nation of Israel, but to the leaders of the Jews at the time. And it was the Romans who actually put him to death.

The fact that Jesus was put to death in Jerusalem by Jewish and Roman leaders is not really a statement against Jews or Romans, but against the entire human race. Or does anyone really believe that the Jewish people were uniquely depraved, and that Jesus would not have been put to death if he had been ministering and preaching to, say, the English?

In other words, antisemitism is not part of Christianity. It’s as contrary to the teachings of Christianity as murder, stealing, and fornication.

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 31, 2010 at 2:46 AM

I for one hate our children

Dire Straits on July 31, 2010 at 1:42 AM

I’m going to have to distance myself from this remark.

Oh wait! Did I leave some words out of the quote?

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 31, 2010 at 2:56 AM

The real problem people have with Christianity is that it is anti-sin. Well, that and the fact that you don’t get to define what is sin to suit yourself.

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 31, 2010 at 2:58 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 31, 2010 at 2:56 AM

That is not cool or funny Richard Head!

Dire Straits on July 31, 2010 at 3:10 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 31, 2010 at 2:56 AM

PS..Loony Toons were great and I for one hate our children of today do not watch them.

Dire Straits on July 31, 2010 at 1:42 AM

This was my quote!

PS..It is saved in my archives!

Dire Straits on July 31, 2010 at 3:19 AM

I don’t think Anne is going to stop being a Christian.

I think Anne is going to stop calling herself a Christian.

I don’t think Anne was a Christian. She may have thought she was, but I would disagree.

blink on July 31, 2010 at 3:20 AM

You are likely correct, I hope she finds Christ.

Inanemergencydial on July 31, 2010 at 3:22 AM

I for one hate our children

Dire Straits on July 31, 2010 at 1:42 AM
I’m going to have to distance myself from this remark.

Oh wait! Did I leave some words out of the quote?

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 31, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Yes you left some words out of the quote.

Dire Straits on July 31, 2010 at 3:36 AM

I wrote this in the headline but I hadn’t had coffee and messed up the grammer:

Two of my sisters had toxemia, the life-threatening condition that led to the abortion in question. My grandmother died of it. One sister faced the risk three times, one two. Medicine has improved since my grandmother’s time, but there were still sizable risks.

The result of these pregnancies were my sister’s children, without whom their lives, and mine, would be much poorer.

Life is risk. Liberals sell a padded future, don’t buy it.

theCork on July 31, 2010 at 4:18 AM

Anne Rice had a fit over Katrina and accused America of “letting her down” over it.

She’s been a self-centered, self-righteous attention whore for YEARS.

And talk about turgid writing – GAD!

Merovign on July 31, 2010 at 4:40 AM

It has not a whit to do with this has been being a Christian. It’s all about her being a liberal, and missing the adoration of her commie sycophants.

The good Rev Jerry Wright welcomes her back into his flock of lunatics.

Good riddance says I.

Old eagle on July 31, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Hey Anne! Thanks for sharing.

ncborn on July 31, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Rice is an interesting woman. I remember reading an interview with her some time ago in which she said that the left has its own dogma that it is more repressive than that of any religion.

I have read a lot of her stuff, both before and after her return to the Church. I think that after her husband died she was lost and returned to the faith of her youth. However, she had problems with some of the strict laws of the Catholic church. Unlike Pelosi, she did not pretend not to notice.

I don’t think Rice is done with the Church really and I doubt if it is done with her. This is the lapsed Catholic syndrome.

Terrye on July 31, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Anonymous atheist’s allusions to author’s anti-Christian antics attracts awesome acrimony.
A-men.

Barnestormer on July 31, 2010 at 6:59 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 31, 2010 at 2:46 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 31, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Very well said. So many people dwell in the world of moral relativism, and try to decide what is right or wrong, or perhaps don’t believe there really is any right or wrong. Anything goes, is a popular MO. Of course, that’s really contrary to Bible teachings. There is an eternal truth, and people can’t just make it up as they go along. And, you are right: Christians are NOT antisemitic. Amen to that.

chai on July 31, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Terrye, what’s wrong with moral laws that teach you how to live a decent life? Strict laws? Called the 10 Commandments…

chai on July 31, 2010 at 7:06 AM

As a former, long-time atheist I think the best approach here is to remind Ms. Rice constantly that God still loves her. She will have a multitude of opportunities (I hope) to thank God for sending his only son to suffer and die for all our sins. God already has said “yes” to forgiveness Ms. Rice. Every one of us who believes in God, knows we are sinners.

And yes, Jews are God’s chosen people. To suggest they engaged in “treachery” as a race in Christ’s execution is to impose limits on God’s power.

doufree on July 31, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Anne Rice did not like the narrow way of Christianity. That way is not about hating anybody, it is about self-denial for the sake of Christ. It is not an easy way. It is not a way that you try for a few years and give up on as though it’s a diet. It is a way of life in Christ. It is always not I, but Christ.

Anne Rice discovered that you cannot cling to both Christ and the world simultaneously, and she chose to reject Christ. Stating that one is no longer Christian is not a rejection of Christianity; it is a rejection of Christ Himself.

So, to Anne Christ: “what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?” Repent, and turn, and live.

SilentWatcher on July 31, 2010 at 7:30 AM

chai on July 31, 2010 at 7:06 AM

The 10 commandments cannot be followed by man as the bible clearly states if you even think of coveting your neighbors wife you have commited sin. They point out mans sinful nature and the only remedy is death, the death Jesus Christ paid at Calvary. That was why Christ voluntarily laid down His life on the cross so He could take our place as the sinless, sacrificial, Lamb of God for all mankind. If you believe in His death and His forgiveness personally and accept His free gift of eternal life, you will be saved through Christ. It is a gift from God.
John 3:16 – For God so loved the World, that He gave His only beloved Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall have eternal life.

dthorny on July 31, 2010 at 7:33 AM

As far as I know, they story is the same in the other books. Without the treacheries of the Jews, the cumulative, most important event in the Christianity simply could not have happened. Antisemitism is integral to the faith. One cannot be a Christian without harboring that animosity that’s a fundamental part of the belief system.

year_of_the_dingo on July 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM

YOU killed Christ. I killed Christ. We ALL killed Christ because HE WAS BORN TO DIE for us, for our sins and our salvation.

Jesus was Jewish; He lived amongst His people; He walked amongst them, taught and preached to them; He healed their diseases and frightened the religious authorities. The Jewish religious authorities wanted Him dead. Who else but Jews would call for His death? There were no Catholics, Baptists, or Lutherans. His followers were Jews or became Jews.

We who are now called Christians were called Jews until Antioch. Get used to that. Since we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and since Jesus came to redeem fallen mankind, and since Jesus’ death was necessary to the redemption of mankind, His death is properly laid at the door of man. WE ALL KILLED HIM.

When you tell us that we must blame the Jews because the text says that at this or that point, you rip verses out of context and warp the message of the Bible. Leave hermeneutics to those who can properly do it, or go learn how to do it yourself.

SilentWatcher on July 31, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Annie Hall called – she wants her hair back.

PatriotPete on July 31, 2010 at 7:44 AM

And no, Jesus was no threat to the Roman authorities … at that point, at least. After He was crucified and the Jews proceeded to proselytize the good news of Jesus: Him born and crucified for our salvation, baptism, eternal life in Christ, that’s when Jesus became a threat to Rome because worship of Him began to displace worship of Caesar and to undermine and threaten the whole Roman social order.

SilentWatcher on July 31, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Anne Rice has the right to believe whatever she wants to believe.

That being said, leave the woman in peace and just move on.

pilamaye on July 31, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Just another celebrity moron that feels compelled to share herself with the rest of the world…. whether they want it or not. Who the H cares?

ultracon on July 31, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Woah! Jenfidel coming on strong!

Love it.

Didn’t take the bait, but now I feel I must. Jesus was a good Jewish boy. As was Peter. As was Paul.

Can’t be the Messiah if you don’t have a Messianic prophecy, now can you?

Israel was dealing with a horrible occupation by the Romans at a time in which there were five dozen cults all claiming that they had witnessed the Messiah. So can you blame them for wanting to suppress yet another cult who threatened to undermine Jewish rule over Jerusalem?

John the Libertarian on July 31, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Father, forgive them; they know not what they do.–Jesus Christ

jimmy2shoes on July 31, 2010 at 7:56 AM

“It’s simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group”

Seems to me she is talking about the Democrat, oops, I mean Progressive party.

manateespirit on July 31, 2010 at 8:03 AM

year_of_the_dingo on July 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Are you not aware that mainstream Christianity is overwhelmingly Dispensationalist? Dispensationalists can’t get enough of the Jews.

Your ignorance is astounding.

2Brave2Bscared on July 31, 2010 at 8:03 AM

dthorny on July 31, 2010 at 7:33 AM

How does crucifixion logically follow from a sin of desire, either for an Edenic apple or another’s wife. Might a Creator not have many options on the table? Why choose death?

dedalus on July 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM

My conscience guilt over my behavior and neglectful parenting and the resulting dysfunctional human being I created will not allow

nothing else

me to take responsibility

peacenprosperity on July 31, 2010 at 8:29 AM

That being said, leave the woman in peace and just move on.
pilamaye on July 31, 2010 at 7:50 AM

She makes a press release and gives an interview and everyone else must leave her in peace. Right. Because she is famous she is allowed to spew her confusion and nonsense? Because she is a celebrity what she says and thinks means something? Has importance? Are you watching access hollywood while you type?

peacenprosperity on July 31, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Perhaps her Jesus books weren’t making enough money. Time for another lifestyle choice to fit her current marketing plan.

herrevery on July 31, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Hmmm. Interesting posts here. Many are crazy. Few are thoughtful.
I’ve only read 2 of Rice’s novels. Mediocre.
Never thought she was really very good.
Christians hating gays?
Then I guess they really aren’t Christians, are they?
As a ‘Christian’,I have never hated someone who sins.
Homosexuals, theives, perverts, adulterers, rapists, child molesters, murders, etc.. all deserve love & compassion, not our hate.
I don’t even hate communists!
And all of them should be welcomed into Chirstian churches.
But Rice doesn’t realize that though God’s word is perfect, his churches are made of people who are not.
And they sin.
Even the good ones.
So for all of you here who are soured on some religion bcs your mommy was mean to you, or your church was less than ideal, or you were molested by a priest or some other horrific thing happened to you in what you thought was God’s name, just remember that it was not He who imposed these things upon you.
It was man.
And that is certainly no reason to discard the message He left for you.

Badger40 on July 31, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I guess Rice’s next book will be about a gay vampire who sucks in a whole new way?

profitsbeard on July 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM

dedalus on July 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM

If you are asking why God required a blood sacrifice to redeem us from our sins, google “blood sacrifice in Christian theology” and read all about it.

“At the Last Supper, Jesus took the cup, gave it to His disciples and said, ‘This is the cup of my blood, shed for you and for all mankind so that sins may be forgiven…’”

2L8 on July 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Personally, I always suspected Rice’s “conversion” to be nothing but a publicity stunt to sell her Christian-themed books. This would seem to confirm it.

RhymesWithRight on July 31, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I just wanted to say, Thanks for understanding.

RINO in Name Only on July 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I look forward to seeing Anne stand before God upon His return.

True_King on July 31, 2010 at 10:36 AM

this is news?

….. whoops – my bad. if there’s a RC church bashing angle, of course it is.

sbvft contributor on July 31, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Too bad her mother did not believe in abortions

Wade on July 31, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I’m going to be the heretic here, Ann has a point and the comments being made here do nothing more than cement her position.

I read her book about her conversion, it was an interesting story and she’s stuck to her belief even after losing her husband, how many of us have that kind of faith? She did some very good research on the origin and scripture and made a very informed decision to go back to the faith of her youth, agree with her or not you can’t fault her approach (much like Lee Stobel did).

I certainly don’t agree with everything she says or believes, her son is gay and it’s an issue she has to live with, not something she can just comment on in a blog and walk away.

The amount of hate being shown here by people calling themselves Christians is appalling, I certainly can’t find the type of vitriol your spewing in scripture. I can’t help but think of the story in John where an angry and obviously self righteous mob was going to stone a woman, and Jesus refused to condemn her.

You may not agree with her decision, but I will tell you that there are a lot of other believers out there who are right behind her, for exactly the kind of vitriol on display here.

-Paul-

Sprockett on July 31, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Anne – You are cordially invited to the Episcopal Church – there’s no right or wrong there; homosexuality is a virtue and self serving proclamations are daily occurrences (you might have to battle the others to get the microphone however). The liturgy is modern dance with a few not-so-wild beasts, the sermon is generally taken from the lefts most illiterate egoists. And your eternal soul is saved if you drive a prius (or better yet VOLT). The host is gluten-free and the incense is hemp scented. Go for it.

Fuquay Steve on July 31, 2010 at 11:45 AM

When you accept and come to love Christ, you don’t “quit” Him anymore than parents “quit” being parents.

The way Anne Rice speaks about her “religion” tells me all I need to know about her “faith”. She speaks of Christ’s Name; she doesn’t speak of JESUS. Unfortunately, too many Christians in modern America are just like her: they adhere to religion for a host of reasons outside of a genuine love for and committment to Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ + anything = nothing

Jesus Christ + nothing = everything

Forever and ever, He is the Alpha and the Omega. Amen.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 31, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Christian religion, Catholicism, is not a place of group think teaching but of individual struggle learning. Thus, the reward is for the individual too. Some may think it worth the effort while others may not. That Ms. Rice wanted to “belong” to something may be more of an indication she did not give of herself.

To further characterize those who sit side by side on a pew as “quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious” proposes she can see into people’s hearts and souls and pass final judgment. Hardly redemptive on her part.

However, a “deservedly infamous group” for not conforming should give possible rise to Ms. Rice’s sorrow over the juice-box mafia demise of Journolist. I for one don’t welcome short cuts or group thought, so Ms. Rice is free to do as she pleases, and as loudly as her p.r. machine can spin, as will I.

FeFe on July 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Why do some feel such a need for attention?

Is this Rice person the one who writes the Vampire books?

Scary.

OH well, her loss.

petunia on July 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Dingo of the year – not only are you a liar but you’re stupid. Educate yourself before you embarrass yourself and others further.

abcurtis on July 31, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Too bad her mother did not believe in abortions

Wade on July 31, 2010 at 10:50 AM

That comment is uncalled for.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 31, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I’m not Christian or Jewish or anything, but I think if I believed in a God, I’d believe in a smiting God. Of course, he’d smite me. Sort of a dilemma.

ace tomato on July 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM

The sin was not a sin of “desire”, it was an overt rejection of the creator. Adam and Eve knew God and specifically and knowingly rejected him. Like a child rejecting a parent who loved him. The insult was so vast, the dignity of the one insulted so great that there was no way to regain God’s friendship and hence eternal life. The only way that the rejection could be atoned for would be for man to have the dignity of God and for that man/God to become a sacrifice to appease God. Get it?

Haunches on July 31, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Where’s jeff from mnpls to tell what a disaster the First Amendment is and why a state church would save America?

After all, the United States was a moral cesspool for the first 100 years. But look at New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago since his group became the dominant religion… bastions of conservative moral values!

Meanwhile, all that religious freedom has led Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia down the path of open sexual depravity.

mankai on July 31, 2010 at 5:08 PM

The punishment for the soul (life) that sins is death. Men are not immortal. We must become immortal. There is a requirement for the forgiveness of sin that blood must be shed. That blood must be pure (for sin cannot pay for sin). The pure one must “become a curse” on behalf of the curse. Certain means of death carry a curse (being hanged on a tree).

The only way for death (a sentence we all face) to be conquered was for a pure, eternal substitute to become sin for us, die a cursed death, go to the grave, NOT DECAY, and conquer death by rising again (paving the way for others under the curse to also rise again one day and thus become immortal in new, immortal bodies which cannot sin).

The short answer… :)

mankai on July 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM

It’s her facebook page; it’s what they’re for.

exception on July 31, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Really, because the links provided are AP at Yahoo, CNN, and The Anchoress linking The Baltimore Sun? I guess they are the culprits responsible for all this sharing.

Cindy Munford on July 31, 2010 at 6:18 PM

dedalus on July 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM

God requires death as the only payment for sin. Our sin is wrong in God’s eyes. God is not a liberal teacher, changing rules as we go. In the old testement, there was always a sacrifice for sin by man: a sinless lamb, a dove, spilled blood on the alter; all of these are representative of Jesus Christ, by the way. We read in Leviticus the laws handed down to Moses which God required repayment for any sin commited.
The important thing is God’s FREE GIFT of eternal life if you believe in Him.

mankai on July 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Amen brother.

dthorny on July 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Are you telling me that your Christian scholar friends don’t believe that the Jews killed Jesus? but that’s in the Bible. Let me just just randomly pick from one of the Gospels. Mark 15:12 -

year_of_the_dingo on July 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Jesus voluntarily layed down His life for payment for our sins regardless of who you want to blame for killing Him.
1 John 3:16
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

dthorny on July 31, 2010 at 10:32 PM

dedalus on July 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM, “Father, if this cup could pass, let it not be according to my will but according to thine.”

In Gethsemane, dedalus, Jesus—God enfleshed—did not want to die. The choice was the Father’s, and He the obedient Son. He knew the only way that man could be reconciled to his Creator was by the means the Creator had ordained—blood sacrifice. Christ Jesus was born to die. He came to die. He died. Now, we have peace with God … if we believe. Anne Rice, unfortunately, has declared war against God. May He have mercy on her soul.

SilentWatcher on July 31, 2010 at 10:41 PM

There is a requirement for the forgiveness of sin that blood must be shed.
mankai on July 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Thanks for the helpful response. It is difficult to see why bloodshed, in particular, becomes the curative mechanism. God has the infinite power to forgive sin for any act that His Son performed.

Certainly, the incarnation itself is an act of divine love that outweighs the action of a naive Eve who was outwitted by a snake. Of all the places in the vast, and newly created, universe, it seems God could have kept the several acres of Eden snake-free. He knew that His recently created Eve was unaware of good & evil, while his other serpentine creation was both evil and clever.

If God is thought of as a parent, He didn’t do a heroic job of protecting young Eve. Given that, His punishment and subsequent requirement for bloodshed seems difficult to reconcile with an all-powerful God.

dedalus on August 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM

dedalus on August 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Blood had to be shed because life is in the blood (Gen 9:4-5). Scripture tells us that the great enemy is death. It is victroius until the resurrection. The great resurrection chapter (1 Cor 15) ends with the grave finally conquered with the resurrection of believers.

Eve was deceived but Adam sinned willfully. It is his sin which brought death into creation. Since the life of the flesh is in the blood, blood has to be shed… but only pure blood will truly satisfy the Creator. The ultimate act of love is that the Creator himself who knew no sin, became sin for us and shed his innocent blood on our behalf.

Adam and Eve will be resurrected and will again have access to the Tree of Life in Paradise (in the future).

The confusion around His death, burial and resurrection and what it acomplished enters when the myth of the “immortal soul” and the concept of “bodiless souls” confuses the core matter.

Adam “became a LIVING soul” after he had the breath of life (spirit) breathed into him. He was told that the punishment for sin was not fiery torture, but death. The wages of sin is death. In Adam all die. Death and mortality are the enemies. In resurrection He conquered death and the grave. In our resurrection, He gets all the glory and at that time we will finally say “Death where is they sting, grave where is thy victory?”

mankai on August 1, 2010 at 12:56 PM

No big deal. I quit being a Christian 20 years ago. Am now a revert to Hinduism, the original religion. All Paths lead the to Mountain Top. Some sooner than later. This life or the next.

Dandapani on August 1, 2010 at 3:04 PM

profitsbeard on July 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM

O_o Ok. That really made me LOL!

Badger40 on August 2, 2010 at 8:13 AM