Video: The television event of a lifetime

posted at 4:10 pm on July 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

In which the first president to appear in studio on a daytime talk show uses the opportunity to, er, lament the 24/7 news cycle. (Dubya appeared on Dr. Phil in 2004 in a bit taped at the ranch.) They yakked about Afghanistan, l’affaire Sherrod, jobs “created or saved,” you name it. And yet, journey over to the show’s website and you’ll find that it’s the dopey clip below that’s being showcased. Can’t say I blame ‘em, though: Here’s an example of a hard-hitting query he had to contend with during the “serious” part of the interview.

“You’ve really done a lot, I think,” Joy Behar, who now has her own talk show on HLN, said. “You’ve signed 200 plus laws since you’re in office, financial reform has taken place, you’ve got health care, two women on the supreme court…and yet the right wing, through Fox News and other outlets, seem to be hijacking the narrative. Where on your side is the narrative? Where is your attack dog to come out and tell the American people, listen, this is what we did?”

No wonder Reuters’s big takeaway was The One talking about America’s “mojo.” Apart from the big scoop about him not knowing who Snooki is — I know, he mentioned her during the Correspondents’ Dinner, but all that proves is that TOTUS has heard of her — the most buzzworthy thing to come out of this was Obama calling blacks in America a “mongrel people,” a description he quickly extended to whites as well. (The Daily Beast has the clip.) He’s right on both counts and he plainly didn’t mean it derisively, but since the left would be wetting its pants over this same soundbite had it come from a conservative, expect plenty of righties to rub his and their faces in it for the next 48 hours or so. Exit question one: Has The One’s pandering to young voters by talking about his iPod perhaps gone a bit too far if Meggie Mac’s rolling her eyes at it? Exit question two: Where does the White House communications team go from here? Rolling out the START treaty on “Jimmy Kimmel Live”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Obami lost my vote when I found he’s not a fan of Justin Bieber!!!!!!!!

o_O

Lance Murdock on July 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM

upinak on July 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Too snarky for my own good. No offense, just getting caried away in my mongrelness.

midlander on July 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I’m confused. Didn’t Obama reprimand us not too long ago over wasting time with electroic gizmos like iPods? Is it just a matter of time until we see the photo op of him playing X-Box with the kids?

BlueCollarAstronaut on July 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Is Obama ill? Look at how gaunt the poor man is. He looks like the legendary Ichabod Crane. Is he not getting enough to eat? He bought that half sub yesterday at the sub shop and then couldn’t eat it? Is something wrong? Is it the stress the poor man is under? Did any of the girls notice, did any of them ask if he was getting enough to eat? What is wrong with these women? Do they not care? Do they not notice? Were they never mothers with sons?

Skandia Recluse on July 29, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I’m sure all of the “co-hosts” with one exception tried pinching him on the ass, but couldn’t find one to pinch.

Del Dolemonte on July 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM

The poor man”? Are you sure you’re not the one who’s ill?

Western_Civ on July 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Sir, or Madam, or gender non-specific, have you no empathy? The poor man is starving and no one notices? Have you no humanity, no consideration for your fellow man? Where is Sally Struthers when we need her most?
/heh

Skandia Recluse on July 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I find it hard that they couldn’t find an ass to pinch…they just might not have been able to pinch him on the butt ;)

BlueCollarAstronaut on July 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I knew there was a reason I never before clicked on one these clips. I am going to have to watch a lot of Shark Week to get all these ugly images out of my mind.

neuquenguy on July 29, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Forget Behar’s kneepads. If Bam hadn’t crossed his legs before the show got underway Behar would’ve broken her nose when he did.

tpitman on July 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM

ergh…that ought to teach me to be too quick on the draw with the “Submit” button…

I was too quick to post…should be “I find it hard to believe…”

BlueCollarAstronaut on July 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Putin is laughing.

BHO Jonestown on July 29, 2010 at 5:20 PM

midlander on July 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM

OIC

upinak on July 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Buffoon…that is all…

winston on July 29, 2010 at 5:24 PM

When I was in grade school the nuns used to call the television the “idiot box”. It’s amazing how prophetic they were with shows like “the view” would be happening some 40 years later

veni vidi vici on July 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM

My collie says:

My attorney will be issuing a “cease and desist” memo to the White House immediately.

Wattsomatta” collie? — are you tired of mulattos that go out of their way to denigrate and disparage mongrels?

My collie says:

Why bring us dogs into the matter when a jackass is more than adequate?

CyberCipher on July 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM

If he meant what I think he meant by that , we’re all mongrels. Unless you happen to be a legally naturalized immigrant.

Still, I hope Jackie & Dunlop at http://www.redstateupdate.com do something with this. It’s too good of material to let go to waste.

listens2glenn on July 29, 2010 at 5:57 PM

And to think I missed it. Darn.

Terrye on July 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM

The Reptilian side of my brain says, Mongrels are Yummy.

yum

franksalterego on July 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Morons all

Viper1 on July 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I am sure someone has already said this, but Mrs. Hasselbeck will be on Hannity tonight. Odds on her telling everyone that The Won is just swell?

Cindy Munford on July 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM

The statement, ‘Obama is the least experienced person in whatever room he walks into.’ holds true in this setting.

Inanemergencydial on July 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM

So Obowma is a mongrel…

… I can live with that.

Seven Percent Solution on July 29, 2010 at 7:10 PM

So Obowma is a mongrel…

… I can live with that.

Seven Percent Solution on July 29, 2010 at 7:10 PM

By the time he leaves office we’re going to think that he was a Mongol.

thomasaur on July 29, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I can’t bring myself to watch this clip.

vcferlita on July 29, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Obama is a mongrel?

Guess he’ll be banned from entering muslim countries from now on.

DamnCat on July 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Joy HAS a job. The fact the economy is still tanking doesn’t even enter her minuscule thought processes.

It is true she got knee pads with the presidential seal on them?

GarandFan on July 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Last night we speculated if Joy Behar was going to have a sponge-padded blanket under her View seat.

Heh, it was the other brainless goose, Elizabeth.

Hannity and her are falling all over the president.

It’s all about who knows who and is seen on TV with whom.

Never thought much of Elizabeth before. She just confirmed to be the featherlight nitwit I suspected her of being.

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM

“If we get our mojo back over the next several months, then I am absolutely confident that we are going to be doing terrific, but we’re going to have to make some fundamental structural changes as we go along,” he said.

Oooooh, that’s encouraging. Straight out of Being There.

ddrintn on July 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Heh, it was the other brainless goose, Elizabeth.

Hannity and her are falling all over the president.

It’s all about who knows who and is seen on TV with whom.

Schadenfreude on July 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Baba Wawa would not have put a serious and brainy conservative on her show, because that person would make them all look like fools.

slickwillie2001 on July 29, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I’m sure she was right at home with the cast of the view.

jdflorida on July 29, 2010 at 9:34 PM

The Mongrel-in-Chief.

disa on July 29, 2010 at 10:52 PM

What’s the View? Oh yeah, that little “gang up on Elizabeth Hasselbeck” clique that wants to kiss Obamao’s buttocks!

Vntnrse on July 30, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Only a coke sniffin’ closeted mongrel would appear on Das View. Unprecidented.

BHO Jonestown on July 30, 2010 at 2:41 PM

midlander on July 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Oh, I’m a mongrel, he’s a mongrel, she’s a mongrel, we’re all mongrels, wouldn’t you like to be a mongrel, too?

Mary in LA on July 30, 2010 at 2:52 PM

journey over to the show’s website

You couldn’t pay me…

labrat on July 30, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Any President who has time to listen to an iPod probably isn’t doing his job. Of course, given the number of vacations, golf games, and lavish parties on the taxpayer dime, that was already obvious.

Adjoran on July 31, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Obama calling blacks in America a “mongrel people

Hmmm from this angle he
looks more like a PEZ dispenser,
being stroked by 2 old nutcases.

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on July 31, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Now instead of the President appearing on dignified shows & in press conferences, we have now managed to take the office of POTUS to a whole new low.
Thank God I have the basic cable package & can’t see the View.
Nasty, lying, disgusting harpies.
But it’s no surprise they love BO.
He’s one of their own.

Badger40 on July 31, 2010 at 9:23 AM

“We are sort of a mongrel people.”

“I mean we’re all kinds of mixed up,” Obama said. “That’s actually true of white people as well, but we just know more about it.”

I’m a little stunned by the divisiveness expressed in these comments.

I have never heard a President (or an Usurper pretending to be President) have such an ‘us vs them’ mentality when talking about race.

That isn’t a healthy view at all. As a white person I don’t talk about race in terms of ‘us vs them’. We’re all just people.

I’m actually offended by his comments about ‘white people’. If he wants to plant his flag in the African American camp then he needs to shut the hell about ‘white people’ and lumping us all into some bigoted stereotype he holds.

Where are the calls from the NAAWP for an apology? Why hasn’t the media demanded an apology on our behalf?

We know that if the parties and colors were reversed there would be a call for an apology and broad condemnation of these hateful comments.

The fact that there is none is simply another example of racism against ‘white people’.

Mr Purple on August 1, 2010 at 8:50 AM