Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on July 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Today I’ll let Michael Ramirez, the two-time Pulitzer Prize winning editorial cartoonist for Investors Business Daily, explain the fatuousness of Barack Obama’s scheduling:

Well, it’s not like he had anything better to do, or as though he disappointed a large group of community-minded American children, or anything:

President Barack Obama, the honorary chairman of the Boy Scouts of America, will not speak in-person before the group on Wednesday at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia, as part of the organization’s 100th anniversary celebration. However, the president is sending a videotaped message to the scouts for Wednesday, the same day he will be in Manhattan to tape an appearance for ABC TV’s talk show “The View.”

Bob Dries, chairman of national news and media at the Boy Scouts of America Jamboree – a gathering that happens every four years and attracts thousands of scouts from around the world – told CNSNews.com that the organization was told on Monday that the president had scheduling conflicts and would not be speaking in-person at the week-long event.

The BSA had scheduled its Wednesday arena program to include remarks by the president at 11 a.m. in front of the more than 45,000 scouts who will be in attendance.

The White House did not confirm to CNSNews.com that the president would not speak live at the Jamboree on Wednesday, but reporters were sent an e-mail at 1:45 p.m. on Monday announcing that the president will be in New Jersey on Wednesday afternoon to talk about the economy before he travels on to New York City to film his appearance for “The View’s” Thursday edition.

Priorities.

Ramirez has a terrific collection of his works: Everyone Has the Right to My Opinion, which covers the entire breadth of Ramirez’ career, and it gives fascinating look at political history.  Read my review here, and watch my interviews with Ramirez here and here.  And don’t forget to check out the entire Investors.com site, which has now incorporated all of the former IBD Editorials, while individual investors still exist.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day! Chris has started his annual fund drive, so be sure to visit the DBD site and keep DBD in action!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

TinMan13 on July 28, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Congratulations to you and your son, the size of the troop is impressive. As to their support for The Won, we are all young once.

Cindy Munford on July 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Apropos I believe…

How to write this: Øbama

From a post on Hillbuzz.org

Use the “nullset” character by holding down the ALT key, typing in 0216, and releasing.

keebs on July 28, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Guess Obama feels it is better to cushy up to the likes of Whoopie, Behar, and Walters, than it is to honor the 100th anniversary of an organization that is known to instill character and honor in its members.

But then again, we are talking about Obama, and character and honor are two words that have never really been an active part of his vocabulary.

pilamaye on July 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Where’s the big surprise? Boy Scouts can’t vote.

LarryG on July 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM

He travels on to New York City to film his appearance for “The View’s” Thursday edition.

One inaccuracy in this report, the View is recorded on videotape, not film.

slp on July 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM

The marching, chanting Obama youth brigades from the election season haven’t replaced the Boy Scouts yet?

Another Obama epic fail.

Disturb the Universe on July 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM

One inaccuracy in this report, the View is recorded on videotape, not film.

slp on July 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I bet you have a hard time paying your light bill on time.

Inanemergencydial on July 28, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Where’s the big surprise? Boy Scouts can’t vote.

LarryG on July 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Exactly. And I wonder how much this little trip is going to cost the taxpayers?

scalleywag on July 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM

The first mistake was making Barack Obama “Honorary Chairman of the Boy Scouts of America”.

Buy Danish on July 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM

It’s just another historic milestone for Barry.

Come on now, The View is only on 5 days a week, and 100 year anniversaries are pretty common.

I’m sure the ladies will ask him some tough questions, as well.

I wonder how that works with the audience? Do they go to a closed set, or do they fly in a bunch of SEUI hags and assorted Barry groupies?

reaganaut on July 28, 2010 at 11:11 AM

When Rosie O’Donnell has a better pulse on what’s right for the presidency, the country is in deep, deep latrine slush.

Schadenfreude on July 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Buy Danish on July 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Every U. S. President is while he’s in office. We just happen to have one who thinks the title is below his pay grade.

ya2daup on July 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Irony: Twenty boys in his troop. All but him and one other are big Prezidunce supporters.

TinMan13 on July 28, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Most teens are, unfortunately. I bite my tongue when O-fawning occurs by members of this age group because it’s not them, but their parents and teachers who deserve to be loathed for their blind worship of this poseur and their passing on this sickness. You can subvert this, or at least plant the seeds to later overthrow it, by teaching citizenship and love and respect for this country via the Scouting program.

ya2daup on July 28, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Where’s the big surprise? Boy Scouts can’t vote.

LarryG on July 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Boy Scouts are between 11 and 18 years old. A small fraction of today’s Boy Scouts will vote in 2012, and most of them will vote in 2016.

Among other things, Boy Scouts are trained to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, thrifty, brave, and reverent. How many of them would find those qualities in Obama? No wonder Obama didn’t want to talk to them!!!

(a former Life Scout)

Steve Z on July 28, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Obama is going to NY for a fundraiser. So, his trip would have to be paid for by the organization. However, since he’s going to do a presidential visit, the trip will be paid for by us.

I’m glad my Eagle card was “signed” by President Ford, another Eagle Scout.

NCJeff on July 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Congrats to hawkdriver! Pics please! :D Thank God I am spared of politricks since we’re Cubs. I showed my son the FOX News clip and he sooo wants to go! I bet hotels are packed to the max.

And I wished I knew of this sooner :(

ProudPalinFan on July 28, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I’m sure the ladies will ask him some tough questions, as well.

reaganaut on July 28, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I don’t know. I can’t seem to get the image of a foo-foo, giggling game of badminton out of my head.

betsyz on July 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I saw Lyndon Johnson at the 1964 BSA Jamboree at Valley Forge. Here follows the text of his speech that day:

The upside of Obama dissing the BSA is that the poor Scouts were spared another one of Mr. Soetero’s lectures on the evils of capitalism and why they should despise America as it is today, in favor of some washed-out European socialist wannabe afterthought “dream” of tomorrow.

Ironic, isn’t it, that the America of which Michelle Obama was never proud is now teetering on extinction, thanks to her incompetent and treasonous husband. In that new tomorrow of which Michelle-ma-belle dreams, only a small minority in America would have anything about which to feel proud.

disa on July 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM

If he hears enough about this he will probably do one of those big screen taped messages to the boys-and it will be necessary to pre-empt all shows on TV so that we can hear his words of wisdom. Just wait, I’m just sayin’…….

congma on July 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM

The BSA is too white for BHO.

Dandapani on July 29, 2010 at 4:09 PM