Musicians’ boycott of Arizona ripped by … Elton John?

posted at 4:56 pm on July 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

First he plays Rush’s wedding, then he plays Israel, now this. Last time we wrote about him I joked that he’ll be playing tea-party rallies soon, but now I’m thinking maybe we should aim higher. Dude, one word: Convention.

Elton John didn’t mince words in slamming his fellow musicians for boycotting Arizona over the controversial SB 1070 immigration law. From the stage at his sold-out Tucson Arena concert Thursday night, John savored a few choice, not-so-family-friendly words:

“We are all very pleased to be playing in Arizona. I have read that some of the artists won’t come here. They are (expletive)wits! Let’s face it: I still play in California, and as a gay man I have no legal rights whatsoever. So what’s the (expletive) with these people?”

Yeah, good question. Although if he had wanted to be really cheeky in challenging the boycotters’ orthodoxies, he could have reminded them which demographic in California most strongly supports the gay marriage ban. Exit question: Just thinking out loud, would Elton play some sort of Republican event? His rationale all along for reaching out to constituencies on the left’s enemies list has been to build bridges, and there’s plenty of room for a new bridge when it comes to Republicans and gay rights. Hmmm.

Comments

Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

JammieWearingFool on July 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM

From the lips of some old singer….

pseudonominus on July 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM

You know, for a gay guy, Elton John has been displaying some testicles lately.

jimmy2shoes on July 27, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Your Song was my wedding song.

rob verdi on July 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

would be awesomely awesome if he played a GOP convention but I don’t think he ever would unless it came with a tanker stuffed with money

Doctor Zhivago on July 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

It’s a Circle of Life thing…

tickleddragon on July 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Its nice to see a musician who uses his ability to what he wants and get away with it say something intelligent.

rob verdi on July 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

He’s not the man they think he is at home…burning out his fuse in Arizona alone.

Bee on July 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Elton John is a hero. Seriously. He’s all about free speech and the rights of individuals to have and express their own views. I may disagree with some of his lifestyle choices, but I completely agree with his support for the rights of free people to make their own choices.

hawksruleva on July 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

First Streisand, now Elton John! hmmmmmmmm. Makes me wonder if not that they’re turning a new leaf, and becoming conservative, but if they’re as disenchanted with Obumble as the rest of us are!

capejasmine on July 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Doctor Zhivago,
I am sure us Reuthuglicans can get our corporate masters to pony it up.

rob verdi on July 27, 2010 at 5:03 PM

He did attend Rush’s wedding.

I recall him stating that he attended because he wanted to build bridges.

His politics may be wrong, but he’s got a positive outlook on life.

swamp_yankee on July 27, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Would he? As open minded as he sounds, why not? Rocket man strikes again!

scalleywag on July 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

The funniest part was that I emailed my dad this story this morning when it was posted on Headlines and said that Elton John’s only logical next step is to headline the 2012 Republican Convention.

And then AP posted this.

Oh no.

AP…are you…*shudder*…my dad?

MB007 on July 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Well he isn’t living his life like a candle in the wind.

upinak on July 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Don’t offend the coke mules, Elton.

elderberry on July 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Hold me closer allahpundit
count the headlights on the highway
blog a Lot in sheets of linen
you had a busy day today

blatantblue on July 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Elton John is one cool dude. One of my all time favorite singers/songwriters.

cubachi on July 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM

“Eh, Elton is just a Honky Cat.”

-PBHO

Bishop on July 27, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Border Song

katy on July 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and say he probably hates taxes, too. You’re almost there Sir Elton.

therightwinger on July 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM

therightwinger on July 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM

..where’s he berth his yacht?

The War Planner on July 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM

MB007 on July 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

ROFLOL

Cookies Mom on July 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Believe it or not Saracuda has a very strong gay following in Chicago of all places. Check out Hillbuzz.org.

shmendrick on July 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Elton John is a cool guy and doesn’t afraid of anything

pseudonominus on July 27, 2010 at 5:13 PM

The article lists him as “married”. He’s not, and is vehement about it.

In December 2005, John and Furnish tied the knot in a civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, England. But, clarified the singer, “We’re not married. Let’s get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage.”

John and Furnish, and their two cocker spaniels, Marilyn and Arthur, were in town for Tuesday’s annual benefit for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

“I don’t want to be married. I’m very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership,” John says. “The word ‘marriage,’ I think, puts a lot of people off.

“You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships.”

MadisonConservative on July 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

shmendrick on July 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM

hell, she has pretty strong gay support everwhere

Doctor Zhivago on July 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

You know, for a gay guy, Elton John has been displaying some testicles lately.

jimmy2shoes on July 27, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Gay men usually retain their testicles.

Note also (h/t littlemissattila) that Elton John thinks that properly-done civil unions are sufficient and gay marriage is an unnecessary provocation. I love this guy.

alwaysfiredup on July 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM

You know, for a gay guy, Elton John has been displaying some testicles lately.

jimmy2shoes on July 27, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I guess his “husband” hadn’t nibbled them off just yet.

UltimateBob on July 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM

MadisonConservative on July 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

You beat me to it.

alwaysfiredup on July 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM

What ever his reasons, more power to him.

jeanie on July 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I’m still standing…yeah, yeah, yeah

cmsinaz on July 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Notice how the Arizona Daily writer ended her “reporting” with a shot at Rush Limbaugh — who had absolutely nothing to do with her “story” — claiming he is “vehemently anti-gay marriage” (despite any supporting evidence).

Rush hate is compulsive with these “reporters”. Freaking compulsive.

miles on July 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Me thinks that El Rushbo had an effect on him, maybe . hmmm

ConservativePartyNow on July 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM

blatantblue on July 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

nice one :)

cmsinaz on July 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

shmendrick on July 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM

hell, she has pretty strong gay support everwhere

Doctor Zhivago on July 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Well then… wouldn’t it be great to have him play at her nomination convention!!!

shmendrick on July 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

miles on July 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM

saw that as well, thinking huh? what does that have to do with this story?

cmsinaz on July 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Tumbleweed Connection and Captain Fantastic.

Some of the world’s finest classic rock.

Go ahead. Disagree.

Good Lt on July 27, 2010 at 5:24 PM

He also thinks Jesus was a super compassionate gay man.

*sigh*

Bee on July 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM

My first musical hero.

I heard Daniel, Border Song and Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting and I was hooked.

Good to hear the old queen is fighting the good fight.

Keep it goin’ Reg!

rickyricardo on July 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Dude, one word: Convention.

LOL X 1,000,000

Mutnodjmet on July 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Yeah, just wait until AP tells you he’s evil. Then the posts will be all about how he’s a second-rate has-been b-listing british momma’s boy.

tlynch001 on July 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Would Elton John play a concert in Nuevo Laredo, from which Mexicans are shooting at a police station in Texas?

Steve Z on July 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Welcome to the tent, Elton!

NoLeftTurn on July 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I grew up with Elton John. He’s just re-earned my profound respect.

JellyToast on July 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM

ConservativePartyNow on July 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM

just saw that on drudge…

cmsinaz on July 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Bravo for Elton John… His reasons for playing Rush’s wedding were based upon principle. His reasons for playing Arizona are based upon principle. This type of attitude is what we need more of, and will build bridges long term. Common sense mixed with principled behavior; I welcome that mix.

Keemo on July 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM

tlynch001 on July 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Sure, if he does or says something to deserve it. It’s called “judging people on their merits.”

Sharke on July 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Hold me closer, tiny dancer Tony Danza

JammieWearingFool on July 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM

FIFY – jeez you people don’t know your lyrics.

fossten on July 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM

OT:This could very well happen:
Nov 2012:
Electoral vote Count:
obama:265
palin: 258
Popular vote nationwide:
palin 56million
obama 55 million
popular vote in Mass:
obama 8million
palin 1million

Because of this new law, Palin become president with the additional 12 electoral votes. Watch the libs heads explode

ConservativePartyNow on July 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Very interesting–this deserves a thread to itself!

What if they did this in California???

Steve Z on July 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM

My wife and I went to his concert outside of Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Aside from still being a capable singer/songwriter, he can really play the ivories. My 16 year old daughter went to see Lady Gaga the next night and he was in the audience, directly behind her. He left before the show was over, but as he was leaving, he tapped her on the shoulder and told her she was a great dancer. She had no idea who he was until some guy beside her informed her who she just received the compliment from.

Syd B. on July 27, 2010 at 5:43 PM

He did attend Rush’s wedding.

I recall him stating that he attended because he wanted to build bridges.

His politics may be wrong, but he’s got a positive outlook on life.

swamp_yankee on July 27, 2010 at 5:03 PM

He didn’t ‘attend’ Rush’s wedding – he played for Rush’s wedding.

fossten on July 27, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Very interesting–this deserves a thread to itself!

What if they did this in California???

Steve Z on July 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Agreed, it needs its own thread. I’ve long thought that perhaps the EC has outlived its usefulness. If you vote red but live in a blue state — as I did my entire life before moving to the South — your vote is meaningless. I don’t see how it protects less populated states either. We are already at a severe disadvantage in national elections b/c population centers are concentrated in blue states. I’d love to hear others’ thoughts, tho.

That said, I don’t see how this would pass Constitutional muster. This is one of those things that’s spelled out pretty clearly in the document. We’d have to abolish it by amendment I would think, and it would have to apply to all the states.

NoLeftTurn on July 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM

fossten on July 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM

ok that was funny

cmsinaz on July 27, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Me thinks that El Rushbo had an effect on him, maybe . hmmm

ConservativePartyNow on July 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Maybe he found out Rush, and people like him, aren’t the EVIL MONSTERS
they’re made out to be.

BigWyo on July 27, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Rush hate is compulsive with these “reporters”. Freaking compulsive.

miles on July 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM

On this point Elton John and Rush agree with each other in opposing gay marriage — funny that was not mentioned and only Rush was attacked for taking the same stand as Elton John.

jerseyman on July 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Because a number of states are passing laws that give all of their electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote as a way around a Constitutional amendment.

The original post was to point out the irony if their own game came back to bite them.

Common Sense on July 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM

ConservativePartyNow on July 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Unlikely.

You underestimate the liberal mind. Without batting an eye, they’ll turn around and claim that the Massachusetts rule disenfranchises the people of Massachusetts and they’ll sue to have it overturned all the way to the Supreme Court. And they’ll never admit their mistake and their role in crafting such as absurd outcome but instead will blame Bush, the Republicans, Fox News, and Sarah Palin.

PackerBronco on July 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Border Song

katy on July 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Thanks Katy…great clip…his voice & Bernies lyrics in the early days were absolutely unsurpassed.

Tim Zank on July 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM

No legal rights? Is this not a little over-stated?

tgharris on July 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM

NoLeftTurn on July 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I don’t see why your vote is meaningless. It means what it means anywhere else: one person’s opinion on an election. The fact that you’re outvoted doesn’t make it meaningless. Afterall, I live in Tammy Baldwin’s district near Madison, WI. She’ll probably be my representative for a very long time and so I guess you could say that my vote against her is “meaningless”, but I don’t see any reason to change the constitution about it.

One of the unnoticed results of the EC is the formation of two major political parties, making it unlikely that we’ll ever have a major third party. Why? Here’s a hint: Notice that the Presidential candidate needs a MAJORITY (not a plurality) of the EC votes.

PackerBronco on July 27, 2010 at 6:15 PM

The ironic part is that Elton John stands a FAR greater chance of influencing the debate than ANY of the people involved in the boycotts.

For this transgression, I am quite sure that the trans-nationalist left will condemn him to the lowest levels of hell for all eternity……

Scubafreak on July 27, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Exit answer: You mean like Rush’s wedding?

ted c on July 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Elton isn’t stupid. Money has no race, religion or political philosophy.

GarandFan on July 27, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Rocketman. . . .

Texyank on July 27, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Tumbleweed Connection and Captain Fantastic.

Some of the world’s finest classic rock.

Go ahead. Disagree.

Good Lt on July 27, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I was listening to Captain Fantastic this morning. The sound quality on the re-released/re-mastered older stuff is excellent.

lexhamfox on July 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I wonder what legal “right” he thinks illegal aliens are being deprived of by Arizona’s law? The “right” to be living in the U.S. illegally? There is no such right.

But good for him for recognizing that the people opposed to this law are “*%&*wits.”

AZCoyote on July 27, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Hear me out before you call me crazy. Is there a chance that some on the left have just gotten so bored with being part of the unified voice that some of the original renegades are being…”renegades”?

Elton John was a guy who pushed the norms when I was growing up. It’s how he set himself apart. (I mean, his music was “it” for a while) But he liked being on the opposite side of things.

hawkdriver on July 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Elton isn’t stupid. Money has no race, religion or political philosophy. GarandFan

Well, clearly, he’s no rocket scientist either:

“Elton John: I still play in California, and as a gay man I have no legal rights whatsoever.”

xblade on July 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM

xblade on July 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM

You’re an idiot. Please overstating your case DOES YOU NO GOOD.

Elton rocks and you suck more than Elton.

CWforFreedom on July 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

JammieWearingFool on July 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Game, set … match.

Jaibones on July 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM

You know, for a gay guy, Elton John has been displaying some testicles lately.

jimmy2shoes on July 27, 2010 at 5:00 PM
Um-um, he got my vote when he played Israel and now this!!Good for him.

ohiobabe on July 27, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Elton. He da man. Well, in a manner of speaking.

curved space on July 27, 2010 at 8:47 PM

hawkdriver on July 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I often wonder this myself. How ‘brave’ and ‘edgy’ is it to be a liberal these days in hollywood and entertainer circles?

It isn’t. These people all share the exact same reaction and prescription for every situation. It is the Borg.

In steps a few entertainers who really do ‘rebel’ and push the boundaries by having a somewhat conservative(rational) view of the world.

Inanemergencydial on July 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I’ve always liked Elton John. He is a very talented singer/song writer. I don’t care about his politics.

milwife88 on July 27, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I doubt there is much I would agree with the man about, but I do respect that he can treat others with a decency that is so lacking in most leftists.

sharrukin on July 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Around the time Ellen Degeneres was ruining her first sit-com, Elton John was on the Tonight Show. He said Ellen needs to shut-up and be funny. His blunt remark was unique and right-on. I’ll never forget it.

Feedie on July 27, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Captain Fantastic,
raised and regimented,
hardly a hero.
Just someone his Mother might know.

mrt721 on July 27, 2010 at 9:29 PM

hawkdriver on July 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM

hawkdriver:Could be,I`ve always liked Elton,and he was
always painted as an activist,which wasn`t
true,and I heard Rush today,and many times,
and I do believe,there are alot on the Right
that think as Rush!!!!!!!!!:)

canopfor on July 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Maybe he’s a closeted conservative!?

Maybe he’s testing the waters to see if he’ll be accepted as a conservative if he comes out of the closet? ;)

Conservative Samizdat on July 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM

wasn’t it interesting when Dennis Miller set himself apart from the primordial pond of liberalism

looks like Elton is being objective and coming forward as well

remember the British Media is actually objective in it’s coverage of the USA

audiotom on July 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM

ConservativePartyNow on July 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM

When I saw that headline I thought the same thing. Their new law means that in 2012 the most liberal state in the Union will give all its electoral votes to a Republican. Bwahahaha…

YehuditTX on July 27, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Sir Elton…I bow to your wisdom.

d1carter on July 28, 2010 at 1:05 AM

The electoral college is designed as a BUFFER between the popular election and the actual election of the President. Case in point, had they found that Obama was not constituionally qualified to serve PRIOR to the electoral college vote, the EC votes for someone who is qualified and was on the ballot, without having to hold another election. This type of situation is the primary purpose, that and to protect the people in general should the be deluded into electing someone completely unfit (I know not such a good job these days, but that is because we are TOO democratic in our system). Remember the members of the EC do not have to vote for the candidate they are delegated to.

Govgirl on July 28, 2010 at 1:19 AM

I remember reading this a while back too…

This is a NewsBuster’s piece on how Elton’s partner, David Furnish, is no fan of socilized medicine. He blasted Michael Moore for Sicko. Furnish’s dad was ill, and he flew him to America for treatment.

squeek71 on July 28, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I have a renewed respect for Elton John since he performed a concert in Israel a month or so ago. He basically stated to the phonies boycotting Israel:

“‘Ain’t gonna stop me from coming here, baby,’ he told the cheering crowd in Tel Aviv saying he believed music should spread peace and bring people together: ‘That is what we do. We do not cherry-pick our consciences, OK?

flameofjudah on July 28, 2010 at 1:17 PM

“Small Federal Government” is a good guide here. It takes more resources to discriminate against gays than to simply give them the same Federal rights as straights. Otherwise you have to ask every marriage license application to drop his or her drawers. And some people consider even that is not conclusive in their efforts to waste time discriminating on trivialities.

Let the states experiment with it per states’ rights. And the states would be wise to break this down to localities. Some localities would waste resources over matters that may make a difference to their “sensibilities” rather than matters that make a difference in a person’s ability to live in and contribute to society.

Above all – we need a small streamlined minimal regulation bureaucracy. If a rule needs two point five bazillion exceptions to make it work, scrap it. If “anti-discrimination” is such a rule, scrap it. Let those who discriminate be broken under the wheels of commerce.

{^_^}

herself on July 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM

….and as a gay man I have no legal rights whatsoever.

What does he mean that “he has no legal rights” Bull Shit! He has the same “legal rights” as I do, no more and no less! If he means that he does not have the “legal right” to marry another man, well guess what nether do I! He has a right to marry a woman, as do I and have done! These people need to get their shit together!

Confederate on July 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM

This was all Kiki Dee’s idea.

BHO Jonestown on July 28, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Elton now realizes he’s an entertainer first, and he probably needs the money, so his political views come second. Interestingly, I can’t think of a song of his that is even vaguely political.

virgo on July 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM