Right Online interview: Herman Cain

posted at 6:30 pm on July 25, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

As is usually the case when Herman Cain appears at a conference, he usually draws most of the attention. In this week’s Right Online conference in Las Vegas, Cain addressed the general session — this time, thankfully, after I did — he also joined a panel that encourages activists to work with employers to teach basic economics to their employees.  Certainly, as the man who had to rescue Godfather’s Pizza from oblivion, Cain himself had to do a lot of that kind of teaching within the company first.  Cain says that one of the biggest problems facing the US is ignorance of how the economy works.  However, people seem thirstier for that knowledge now than ever.  We also talked about his presidential aspirations, or prayerful considerations thereof, the racism debate and the distraction it provides, Fannie/Freddie and the Fed, and much more:

As always, Cain is warm and personable, but has no reluctance to get impassioned about his principles — and does not suffer fools lightly.  Whatever role he decides to play in 2012, he will make a powerful voice for conservatives.

Comments

Herman Cain is so freak’n AWESOME!!! Glad he’s a JawJa man!

poppieseeds on July 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

This guy would still be featured in this space if he were white. I know it. To assume otherwise is racist or something.

borntoraisehogs on July 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Did Herman Cain have anything to do with this?

I love his idea of economics 1. An informed populace is the left’s greatest enemy.

Inanemergencydial on July 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

oh yeah – you can catch his radio show on WSB AM750 out of Atlanta at 7pm (est) M-F.

poppieseeds on July 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM

just like the link says…duh…

he’s still freak’n awesome.

poppieseeds on July 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Just don’t make him break open that can of whoop-ass I gave him! Run Herman Run!

cannonball on July 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I listen to Herman on the local WSB750 station on a regular basis while in my basement practicing my golf swing and this is one accomplished, intelligent man who has the potential to do great things for our country if only given the opportunity. And he is a class act who does not suffer fools gladly. Keep it going Herman!

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on July 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM

“Give up on the stupid ones”

No truer words have been spoken.

ButterflyDragon on July 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Thanks, Ed. I look forward to watching it.

flyfisher on July 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM

You know, Herman Cain seems more interested in exploring the presidency than in some of his past interviews (in the past, he’d be more in the mode of “I can’t afford the pay cut” type of answers). He didn’t come out and say “I’m running!”, but I get more of a candidate vibe from him with this conversation. He’s alluded to some health problems in the past, but I see no negatives to this guy (I’ve listened to him for years whenever possible from NC). More than anyone else on the radar (except maybe Govs Christie or Daniels), he seems like someone with Reaganesque sensibility. I agree he’s great in any context(I’d be a supporter even if he turned purple), but I really think he’s the ultimate counterpunch to the left (i.e., anti-racecard tonic). As I recall, he has executive experience and a graduate degree in mathematics. Wouldn’t a debate between Barry and Herman be some kind of awesome?

DoctorJohn on July 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Herman Cain is so freak’n AWESOME!!! Glad he’s a JawJa man!

poppieseeds on July 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I can’t top that comment. Mr. Cain is freak’n AWESOME. He’s a pleasure to listen to…and I always learn something.

MainelyRight on July 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Has he taken “the trip to Iowa” yet?

ThePrez on July 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Starting petition to draft Herman in 3-2-1…

DoctorJohn on July 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I’d back him in anything he ran for.

Tim Zank on July 25, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I have had the pleasure of listening to Herman Cain at 4 Tea Parties now, and at a few live broadcasts. He is freak’n AWESOME! And Godfather’s Pizza was freak’n awesome too! :)

He has a political following at HITM (Herman’s Intelligent Thinker’s Movement), where he sends out action alerts and other important information. You can check it out here: http://www.hermancain.com/hitm.asp

I have been a member for quite awhile.

InquiringMind on July 25, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Contrast Herman Cain to Van Jones’ entire Netroots Speech.

Blue Collar Todd on July 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Herman Cain is the bomb. A truly compelling speaker.

In a better world he would be nationally syndicated and Neal Boortz would be his fill-in. With Boortz I usually drift off after 15 min or so. When I’m scanning the dial and I hear Cain, I immediately perk up.

P.M. on July 25, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Herman Cain is the bomb. A truly compelling speaker.

We hold these truths to be self-evident!

Emperor Norton on July 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

“I forgot he was black tonight for an hour,”

-Chris Matthews

Inanemergencydial on July 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Anyone who can inspire this and bring out the bestest patriotism in the bestest singing patriot
is my man

macncheez on July 25, 2010 at 7:59 PM

When the liberals are bad, take a Cain to them!

Solid interview.

GnuBreed on July 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Great interview. He always makes sense.

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Finally, someone that actually understands the Federal Reserve.

jp on July 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

The real deal and the whole package. He has it all. I would take Herman over just about anybody currently being tossed around.

ldbgcoleman on July 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Herman is a friend. He is genuinely what you see and hear him to be. He has beaten cancer. I believe he will soon run for an office.

jimw on July 25, 2010 at 8:55 PM

One of the most informative 22 minutes I’ve spent recently. Thoroughly enjoyable, too.

Personal observation, living in a college town, seems the most “educated” folks are the ones who don’t have a clue as to how the real world operates. Of course, these are the same folks who voted for our current “leader.” The guy down the street, who has a few dozen folks on his payroll; no sterling academic achievements to speak of? He understands fully what Herman Cain is talking about. So do thousands of others who have folks on their payrolls who depend on them to make the right decisions in troubled economic times.

Hate to say it, but electing somebody who is purportedly “smart” to the highest office in the Land isn’t all that smart a thing to do. Gimme an honest shop owner any day over a policy wonk with ornately framed academic accolades on his wall. This isn’t rocket science. It just balancing the checkbook and keeping up with simple accounting. Cain is a wonderfully refreshing voice. More of him, please.

coldwarrior on July 25, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I really enjoy listening to Mr. Cain and appreciate his joyous attitude and invaluable experience. Matter of fact, I’ve eaten so much dang Godfather’s pizza in my day that I’m sick of the stuff and am now glad to know that my parent’s money was well spent. We used to get that every Friday night like clockwork.

Great interview Ed.

ted c on July 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Thomas Jeffeson comes to dinner.

kagai on July 25, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Thomas Jeffeson comes to dinner.

kagai on July 25, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I heard him do that one. It was really good.

ted c on July 25, 2010 at 9:22 PM

This gentleman is a national treasure.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Give up on the stupid ones

As Ron White put it… “You can’t fix stupid.”

The Monster on July 25, 2010 at 9:58 PM

He’s an intellectual who doesn’t look down his nose at everyday-Americans. That is really going to confuse Dems.

The Race Card on July 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Good interview, and very sensible at first hearing. He could likely give Democrats a real run for their money. I’d like to know his opinions on the use of US military power, climate change, and abortion.

westernflyer on July 25, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Would love to see a Geithner-Cain face-to-face discussion on economics. Could bankroll the entire GOP election apparatus for 2010 and 2012 if they sold tickets.

coldwarrior on July 25, 2010 at 10:14 PM

P.M. on July 25, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I think Hannity and Boortz should be Mr. Cain’s fill in!

poppieseeds on July 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Herman Cain is a powerful voice now. I love his no-nonsense approach to economics.

TN Mom on July 25, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Herman’s Website is: http://www.hermancain.org/

His Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/THEHermanCain

DL13 on July 25, 2010 at 11:18 PM

While I listened to the interview, I went to his site and looked it over. I like what I see. I’ve heard his name for some time but never had a chance to check him out. Now I’m glad I did.

I love Sarah Palin, but…if Mr. Cain ran in 2012, I might be inclined to support him so Sarah could gain experience in his cabinet until she could run in 2016 or 2020. I never would have said that prior to knowing more about Mr. Cain. If Mr. Cain was in the Oval Office January 13, 2013, I would not have a problem with waiting for Sarah to run in 2016 or 2020. I feel that comfortable with his positions and his character.

RUN, HERMAN, RUN! I might just start praying that the Lord taps you for the office next, and that Sarah throws her full support behind you and waits until later to throw her hat into the ring.

Or…
Cain/Palin 2012
Palin/Cain 2012

(Maybe Sarah needs to run with the right “Cain” next time–!)

theotherone on July 25, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Did Herman Cain have anything to do with this?

Inanemergencydial on July 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

That video was freakin’ AWESOME

Lonevoice on July 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

His position on issues is PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did he manage to not win his Senate election?

karenhasfreedom on July 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM

That video was freakin’ AWESOME

Lonevoice on July 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Spread it around!

Inanemergencydial on July 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

(Maybe Sarah needs to run with the right a “Cain” next time, not a “Lame”–!)

theotherone on July 25, 2010 at 11:45 PM

fixed it.

Slowburn on July 26, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I love him. It’s always a treat when he fills in for Boortz.

Ortzinator on July 26, 2010 at 2:17 AM

Heard his speak on death taxes Friday session (where I met him and shook his hand – what a grip!!), attended his live radio show Friday afternoon, then heard him speak Sat. AM.

BRILLIANT!!

GOT to get a national TV show!!!

fred5678 on July 26, 2010 at 3:27 AM

God Bless you Mr. Cain… great interview with a great man.

Bob on July 26, 2010 at 5:07 AM

This guy is made of the same kind of awesome that I hope whoever runs in 2012 will have.

This is exactly what we need.

powerpro on July 26, 2010 at 6:28 AM

I’ve listened to Herman on a number of occasions when he’s filled in for Neal Bortz. I can find nothing unattractive about him. He is wise, articulate, thoughtful, and has a great understanding of the Constitution. In short, he is everything the current WH occupant is not. He would have my complete support if he made a run.

Crusader Rabbit on July 26, 2010 at 8:04 AM

I must give credit where credit is due on the Right, while discredit for the economy is on the left.

A Trifecta of Herman Cain, Walter Williams, and Thomas Sowell would be a true credit to U.S. any day. We do not have to wait till 2012, we can start right now. Start reading and digesting the words of this Trifecta.

MSGTAS on July 26, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Herman Cain is indeed Obama’s worst nightmare. Run, Herman, Run!

OneVision on July 26, 2010 at 9:29 AM

And that extends to the MSM jerk-wads in print and electronic media.

If -after thoughtful and prayerful consideration- Mr. Cain decides to seek national office, I’ll support him.

oldleprechaun on July 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Our house would vote for Herman in a heart beat if he decides go run. It would be great to see Herman debate this bho, it would be a classic event! A Palin/Cain would be great, IMO.
L

letget on July 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM

<blockquoteHas he taken “the trip to Iowa” yet?

ThePrez on July 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Yes. He was there a couple weekends ago. I’m not sure where he spoke, but I’m sure he was also meeting the local movers and shakers.

I’m not a bumper sticker person, but I’ve had one ever since his dark horse hint. It says Run Herman, Run!

TedInATL on July 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Cain/Christie 2012!

Pilgrimsarbour on July 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM

(Maybe Sarah needs to run with the right a “Cain” next time, not a “Lame”–!)

theotherone on July 25, 2010 at 11:45 PM

fixed it.

Slowburn on July 26, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Heh. Works for me!

theotherone on July 26, 2010 at 8:48 PM

On vacation and just seeing this.

Limbaugh says that what conservatives stopped doing after Reagan is they stopped teaching. They wrongly assumed that people understood why they were doing what they were doing, stopped explaining it, and allowed the old media to control the narrative.

What I like about Cain, is his wonderful ability to explain, or teach, the common sense behind his policy ideas. Economics 1, taught by a president, would be incredibly powerful! And not in an Obama-style condescending professorial way, but from a man who knows who business works from REAL experience. I REALLY like this guy!

Ed, much better lighting this time, but next time, make sure he’s not in front of a high traffic doorway. Great post!

parteagirl on July 27, 2010 at 11:41 AM