Right Online interview: John Fund

posted at 5:09 pm on July 24, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

One of the true pleasures of attending conferences like Right Online is talking with analytical thinkers like John Fund of the Wall Street Journal. John sat down with me today for a conversation that mainly focused on leadership, the Tea Party, and the actual power of the grassroots. The danger to the Tea Party will be in getting co-opted by the Republicans after an election, and avoiding honoring the commitments to activists to change business in Washington and end corruption.

In my speech, I said that the antidote to Carter malaise was the Reagan Revolution. But do we have a Reagan — and should we want one? John has some intriguing thoughts on this question, which leads into a very good point on the nature of political leadership and the pitfalls of personality politics.

Interview with John Fund
Uploaded by cptned. – Watch the latest news videos.

Comments

Yes, and she’s rated the top GOP pick right now….

Vntnrse on July 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Saw John at the AFP in Austin. Deep knowledge, great insight and more of a dynamic speaker than I expected, and certainly more than this low-key interview shows. He was funnier than Steven Crowder (as was Stephen Moore, WSJ). Called Bill Clinton the Wizard of Oooze.

Good interview, Ed. Interested in more discussion on the next Reagan.

publiuspen on July 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I was also at the AFP in Austin. So glad I had the opportunity to listen to John Fund. He exuded such vitality and really enjoyed himself mingling with us at the summit.

It’s too bad that the above video is not captioned….

lurker9876 on July 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Too bad he was big advocate for amnesty and very insulting toward those wanting to secure the border. To this day I do not trust him more than the average RINO.

ray on July 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Thoughtful observers like John Fund are completely drowned out by strident media mountebanks. To prove my point, just go to Bing.com, search for tea party movement + racism, and you’ll get nearly 3 million hits. Most of these are thinly veiled accusations, laden with vitriol, solely meant to discredit and marginalize the movement. Progressive bloggers then follow closely behind the MSM mud wagon, picking up their sludge to hurl at anyone choosing to defend TPers against these charges. Then the ‘race cards’ come aflyin’ in a twisted version of 52 card pick-up.

Bluecaper on July 24, 2010 at 8:35 PM

i’m not optimistic

the nutroots got Pelosi, Reid, the O on vid. the gang is all here to say to the left, we are with you…yes it is tough but we are you.

rightonline got who?

are the R’s chicken? not invited? what?

r keller on July 24, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Ed, really, how deceptive!
You used the one word “Leadership” to describe Fund’s opinion in which leadership isn’t spoken of at all in regards to President Reagan.
Fund said that Reagan “took his cue from the people,” as if they led him.
Wrong, wrong, wrong and revisionist to boot!
Fund has never been one of my favorite “conservative” commenters and this clip did nothing to change that.

Jenfidel on July 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Fundamentals…not personalities.

This is where the conservatives have gone astray too many times over the past few decades. Putting one’s total “faith” in the glamor, the glitz, the promise, of one candidate…and ignoring the fundamentals, the principles…well, we end up with what? “Our candidate isn’t as bad as your candidate?”

The Tea Party movement isn’t a pro-GOP movement…so don’t go betting the farm, RNC, that the Tea Party will be behind the GOP 100%.

The GOP will have to get behind the Tea Party 100%…and they can do this the easy way. Start adhering to the basics, the fundamentals, the principles…and you’ll do alright.

Otherwise…as Fund states…you are just rearranging the deck chairs.

coldwarrior on July 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Just read his article about the Nit-wits convention and all of their hand wringing. Very fun stuff. Thanks Guys

General America on July 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Jenfidel on July 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Take it easy, girl. Nobody here is suggesting Fund should lead us or control the platform. But that doesn’t mean he’s a blithering idiot either. His observations have value, just like some of Salamander’s do.

Put a gun to my head and tell me to vote for Salamander and I’ll tell you to go right ahead and shoot. But he still has some value.

We just have to know how to sort a pile of rocks and diamonds. And know which is which.

platypus on July 24, 2010 at 9:44 PM

platypus on July 24, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Sorry, platypus, I call ‘em like I see ‘em, as you would expect me to!
I listened to it twice and it didn’t get better the second time.

Fund spent most of the time either deriding Reagan or leadership in general, concluding with “The American people will hire somebody to fit their bill in 2012.”

Jenfidel on July 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM

When Reagan got into office, he talked a lot of private sector successes into coming into public service. They were given cabinet positions in their area of expertise. It was a great idea.

Cindy Munford on July 25, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Concur with much of John and Ed’s comments. I will be watching closely the newly elected officials in November. I will look for the newest members to stall begin by stalling implantation date of the many monstrosities (laws) recently passed. This action will fulfill Speaker Phulofit requirements, “We have to passe this before we know what’s in it”.

Then I will be watching the newbies to see if they have the ability to not create any new laws or rules but review all existing ones and work on repealing those that truly have no public benefits. The public may find that there are considerable funds to reduce the deficit.

I will also, be looking for elected officials that will actually examine existing Federal Departments and determine if they are actually relative to the Federal government function, and if not to seek votes to delegate or delete it.

I see these as the primary reason we should be electing peers not lawyers, or career politicians. To represent us, properly they need to know what we want, not what they want to which repress us.

MSGTAS on July 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM