My speech to AFP’s Right Online conference

posted at 2:10 pm on July 24, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

So far, this has been an exciting and energized conference at The Venetian in Las Vegas.  I’m expecting to get a few more interviews later today that I will post, but this morning I mainly focused on getting my speech ready for the general session at Right Online.  Since I’m unclear as to whether this will be televised live, delayed, or at all on C-SPAN, I’ll post my speech as written here.  (If it is on video later, I’ll post that too.)  I decided to try a lighter, humorous touch to make my point, and those of you who listened to my last night on the Hugh Hewitt show will recognize where I got my inspiration to talk about the sudden re-emergence of 1970s nostalgia.

=====

Remarks to Right Online conference

Thank you, and it’s great to be back at Right Online with so many of my friends, and readers of Hot Air.  It’s exciting to see how energized and active conservatives have become!

But I’m afraid I do have to make a confession.  I am not what I seem.  Yes, yes, I know I seem like a man of taste and sophistication, but unfortunately I have a deep, dark secret.

I love … disco.  The music of the 1970s is my guilty pleasure.  I have been known to shake my groove thing, yeah yeah.  I will boogie oogie oogie until I just can’t boogie no more.  Granted, I get to that point a lot quicker than I did in the 1970s, but it’s the thought that counts.

Now, I may have a nostalgic love of the music of the 70s, but unfortunately, it’s not the music that’s coming back.  Instead, it’s the economics of the 1970s that has made a comeback in the Obama administration and the Nancy Pelosi Congress.  It’s the same failed ideas of top-down centrally controlled economies that led us to the glory days of stagflation.  And leisure suits!

Democrats want to pretend that the interventionist policies and confiscatory taxes they champion will work this time around, despite the utter failure of these moves in the 1970s.    The bloated and incompetent regulatory regimes that helped strangle American manufacturing in that decade will now get imposed on Wall Street, thanks to a poorly conceived financial regulation bill that “fixes” everything except what actually broke in the financial collapse.  Meanwhile, at Fannie and Freddie and the FHA, we’re back to pushing cheap loans and securitizing the excess risk in order to conduct social engineering.  I’d call that Doing  The Hustle.

In health care, the same top-down government control that brought us gas lines in the 70s will shortly bring us hospital and clinic lines in the 21st century.  Dumping more regulation, mandates, and price controls on providers and insurers will drive them out of business and leave all of us with long waiting times for treatment.  In fact, the real trick in the new ObamaCare world will be … Staying Alive.

How about unemployment?  That’s an area of nostalgia, too.  When Jimmy Carter ran for re-election, the percentage of people employed in the full US population was 59%.  When Barack Obama took office, it was 60.6%.  After spending over $860 billion in a stimulus plan that supposedly would keep Americans from losing their jobs – money we had to borrow – the percentage of population working is now 58.5%.  Obama certainly looks like Carter, the second time around.

Meanwhile, we’ve added a new wrinkle to the gold medallions and polyester suit – exploding deficits.  Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid have managed to do the impossible and make overspending Republicans from a few years back look like Ebenezer Scrooges.  Democrats added a trillion dollars a year in extra spending in just three budget cycles since regaining power in Congress, an increase of 38% in just that short amount of time.  National debt has spiraled from $8.5 trillion just prior to the 2006 midterms to almost $12 trillion, an increase of over 40% in three years and is now at 93% of our gross domestic product.

When I tell you that Greece is the word, you know it has a groove, it’s got a meaning.

Fortunately, the 1970s had an antidote.  It was the Reagan revolution in the 1980s.  We stopped penalizing capital.  We lowered taxes.  We rolled back the regulatory Leviathan and unleashed the power and dynamism of American innovation and ingenuity.  That didn’t happen by accident, either, but from the work of men and women who had had enough and got active and organized.  They found reliable leaders and kept enough pressure on Congress to force them to listen.

And what happened?  We triggered the greatest expansion of wealth in our nation’s history.  And we can do it again, too.

We have a duty to our country to act when it goes off track – to organize, get involved, make our voices heard and make our politicians listen.  That’s why I’m proud to be here among so many committed activists and to work with such a great organization as Americans for Prosperity, to fight with you for the free-market principles and private property rights that created an economic boom that lasted a generation.  This generation can do it again, as long as you keep it coming, folks, keep it coming – don’t stop it now!

Thank you, and God bless America!

=======

I challenge Duane “Generalissimo” Patterson to continue this theme at the Hughniverse for his Duane FM show by playing three hours of non-stop disco, or at least 70s music.  If we have to put up with the decade’s economics for a while, the least we can do is revisit some of the music.

Comments

Ed honesty time:

How much have you lost in the venetians CASINO so far :)

picklesgap on July 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Great Speech Ed.

Inanemergencydial on July 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM

You’re a fan of the wrong ’70s music. Deep Purple, Aerosmith and Black Sabbath are where it was at.

Seriously, it was a great speech. Hopefully those who weren’t there will get to see it.

steveegg on July 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM

You’re at the Venetian? Color me jealous. Speaking of color, is the Blue Man Group still playing there?

ladyingray on July 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM

In fact, the real trick in the new ObamaCare world will be … Staying Alive.

The GOP needs The Eye of the Tiger.

Disturb the Universe on July 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM

We killed Disco. Don’t try to resuscitate it even for humor.

Also…The Venetian in Las Vegas? Way to avoid the Fat Cat label there guys. Is Michael Steele picking up the tab for the smoker?

Rocks on July 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM

ladyingray on July 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Yep and yep.

steveegg on July 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM

How much have you lost in the venetians CASINO so far :)

picklesgap on July 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM

None at all. I’m not much on gambling. Not that I oppose it; I’m just lousy at it.

Ed Morrissey on July 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM

We killed Disco. Don’t try to resuscitate it even for humor.

Were you around for Disco Demolition Night? That was a glorious night.

Rocks on July 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Two points of order:

- The Venetian is the only non-union place on the Strip.
- The Nutroots are over at the Rio.

steveegg on July 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I love … disco. The music of the 1970s is my guilty pleasure

Suddenly, everything makes sense!

TheBigOldDog on July 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Were you around for Disco Demolition Night? That was a glorious night.

steveegg on July 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM

naw, I’m in Connecticut but i was there in spirit.

Rocks on July 24, 2010 at 2:32 PM

naw, I’m in Connecticut but i was there in spirit.

Rocks on July 24, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Wasn’t there in person either (was just a young Egg back then, and roughly 100 miles north of Comiskey), but I was also there in spirit.

steveegg on July 24, 2010 at 2:36 PM

OT SHOCKER: Britain Plans to Decentralize National Health Care

hahahahahahaha

faraway on July 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I was 15 at the time. The local FM stationed did something if I remember correctly. They did skeet shooting with the albums for awhile I know that.

Rocks on July 24, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I was there, it was an absolute thing of beauty.(disco demolition)

Appears it will be “Hells Bells” for the democrats in November, then possibly we can get some subpoena’s issued for the most corrupt administration ever in the history of the U.S.It will be “You aint seen nuthin yet” until Sarah Palin runs for POTUS, and we wont get fooled again by these commies who want to “Imagine” our country just like “Back in the USSR”.(intentional 60′s music input) So get that leisure suit back out, and grin and bear it , just until November, when the real adults take over both houses of Congress

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on July 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Funny Ed, the ad at the bottom of story is for Speech Therapy.

hawkdriver on July 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM

- The Nutroots are over at the Rio.

steveegg on July 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM

And they received a “speshul comment” via video from ObaMao, who encourages them to keep up the good fight.

onlineanalyst on July 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Ed, great speech and enjoyed your 3-day gig guest hosting for Hugh. Like Dean, you always class up the joint. The buffets on the Strip at Bellagio, Paris and many other hotels are wonderful with cracked crab, prime rib and other high quality fare. Enjoy in good health.

I assume you were too young to enjoy the Orange County discos in the late 1970s without a fake ID, but I am here to attest that it was possible to boogie all night without drugs or promiscuity. At the time, I was a college student heavy into punk and the emergence of new wave, some progressive rock, Steely Dan, David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, etc. Disco was the well crafted spawn of classic soul and R&B. No apologies for being a disco fan are necessary.

I liked Chic, too — the sound engineering was the cleanest in disco — but my personal dance favorite was Groove Line. Wave your arms, y’all!

Terrie on July 24, 2010 at 2:49 PM

How much have you lost in the venetians CASINO so far :)

picklesgap on July 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Who pays for the spectacular architecture in Lost Wages? SUCKERS who gamble.
I’ve been there six times, & I haven’t gambled a cent.
:D

itsnotaboutme on July 24, 2010 at 2:52 PM

But the 70′s had men in short satin shorts and fishnet tank tops, and 454 cubic inch engines that produced 170 horsepower in cars that were put together like dumpsters. Not to be outdone, the British had 20% unemployment, punk rock “anarchists”, bombs going off and the finery of British Leyland automobiles.

Somebody please tell me something good about the 70′s.

forest on July 24, 2010 at 2:56 PM

“If we have to put up with the decade’s economics for a while, the least we can do is revisit some of the music.”

Ed. No.

by playing three hours of non-stop disco, or at least 70s music.

If I have to have a flashback, you get to share it.
6-pack. Now.

Arbalest on July 24, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Meanwhile, we’ve added a new wrinkle to the gold medallions and polyester suit – exploding deficits. Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid have managed to do the impossible and make overspending Republicans from a few years back look like Ebenezer Scrooges.

I would suggest that Pelosi and Reid are two new wrinkles. (Actually, they are the same old, same old wrinkles, only on steroids.)

onlineanalyst on July 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I love … disco ……. I will boogie oogie oogie until I just can’t boogie no more

That song has the coolest bass lines I’ve ever heard, and the thing with disco is that it’s mostly bass driven.

Hey Ed, do you do that little hand twirl move, then point into the air like John Travolta ?? LOL

Keep up the good work, you da man.

Jerome Horwitz on July 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Excellent speech Ed. Great nostalgia–my wife turns the big 4-0 this year and the kids and I are going to throw her a 70′s party. I think I’m going to get an outfit like Steve Martin from SNL from those two wild n’ crazy guys skits. heh..better download some good 70′s tunes.

ted c on July 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Shiney!

Maquis on July 24, 2010 at 3:07 PM

steveegg on July 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I would tend to agree, but I was listening to some Mahavishnu Orchestra on YouTube last night and I think it’s going to replace the Deep Purple on my gym iPod.

Sharke on July 24, 2010 at 3:10 PM

One of Ed Morrissey’s strengths lies in his careful and clear analysis of economic/policy issues.

I have learned much from his Economics posts.

ColtsFan on July 24, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I’d rather have Carter than the Evil Dunce we have now.

Great speech Ed!

Key West Reader on July 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Great speech, Ed. Afterwards, climb in your leisure suit and win big at the casino.

petefrt on July 24, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I don’t want to revisit either. LOL! :) :) :)

Theophile on July 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM

It’s exciting to see how energized and active conservatives have become!

Boy Ed, if that is really true I’d be willing to listen to Nicky Nasal and his Nine Nifty Nose Pickers til November.

ontherocks on July 24, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Went to the AFP in Austin a few weeks back. No Ed, but a whole lotta’ great speakers. And an audience that vibrated with enthusiasm. Think even the agnostics shouted back “Amen!” to Herman Cain. Came away fired up and ready to go. You betcha’. November is coming. And I working for change. How about you?

publiuspen on July 24, 2010 at 5:10 PM

And I am working for change. How about you?

publiuspen on July 24, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Good job! If you ever want to expand the theme, may I suggest an oldie but a goodie: “Dead Skunk In the Middle of The Road.” Perfect metaphor for our current economic and legislative climate, IMHO.

Chewy the Lab on July 24, 2010 at 5:47 PM

…Yeah, I know it’s not disco, but it’s definately early 70′s…I think I was 13. 1972????

Chewy the Lab on July 24, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Cue Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive”

J_Crater on July 24, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Among the 70s dedications (no disco allowed):
“Idiot Wind” to drywall, crr6, tom_shipley, et al.
“I Won’t Back Down” to Jan Brewer and all the Mama Grizzlies out there.

either orr on July 24, 2010 at 9:14 PM

1972 it was, Chewy. Had my first pro radio gig when that was out.

either orr on July 24, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Somebody please tell me something good about the 70’s.

forest on July 24, 2010 at 2:56 PM

That song has one of the most memorable bass lines ever; the original album version had a longer intro than most of the live (youtube) versions I’ve seen.

Would make a great ringtone.

massrighty on July 24, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Well, you can tell by the way I use my vote
I’m a congressman, gonna get your goat
Budgets big and taxes high
I’ll be a Dem till the day I die

When I take bribes, well, it’s okay
Cause the Dems just look the other way
And we don’t try to understand
The health-care bill’s effect on man

Whether you’re a Senator
Or a Representator*, you’re
Sayin’ a lie
Sayin’ a lie

See the oil a-spillin’ and
See Obama chillin’, we’re
Sayin’ a lie
Sayin’ a lie
Ah, ah, ah, ah, sayin’ a lie, sayin’ a lie…

*yes, I know, but I had to make it rhyme somehow…

Mary in LA on July 25, 2010 at 12:27 PM

BTW, very nice speech, Capt. Ed!

(That Ed Shultz guy is a disgrace to the name of “Ed”.)

Mary in LA on July 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Ed – you did us all proud buddy. Great job!

Scott Burkey on July 25, 2010 at 12:34 PM

But I’m afraid I do have to make a confession. I am not what I seem…….
I love … disco.

All of a sudden, The J. Geils Bands “My Angel Is a Centerfold” is playing in my head…

percysunshine on July 25, 2010 at 2:26 PM