Sherrod: I want to talk to Obama; Update: Obama phones Sherrod, asks her to take new USDA job

posted at 1:00 pm on July 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

She doesn’t want an apology, just a little telephonic beer-summit on race. I’m sure he’ll agree to it, too. The One does, famously, like to remain above the fray on racial clusterfarks — that is, when he isn’t instigating them — but he needs to make this go away and granting Sherrod her wish is the quickest way to do that. In fact, given that she sounds disinclined to accept Vilsack’s new job offer for the understandable reason that she doesn’t want the headache of being the “race czar” or whatever at Agriculture, a direct appeal from the throne might be the only way to get her to accept. The media wants a happy ending here, champ. Make it happen.

Speaking of happy endings, kudos to Howard Kurtz (for once) for gently reminding the media that it wasn’t, in fact, some sort of on-air pogrom at Fox News that pressured Vilsack into canning her. A source at Fox actually told me on Monday that they’d been instructed not to mention the Sherrod clip on air until the network had time to check into it. I didn’t mention that in any posts because I had no evidence that it was true, but now the LA Times confirms that it is:

Michael Clemente, senior vice president of news editorial, said the network’s news programs reported the story with caution. “When I heard about this Monday morning and saw it on Breitbart’s website, I said, ‘OK, could be a story, let’s check it out,’ ” Clemente said. “We did the normal fact-finding we would do on any story.”

At an afternoon editorial meeting Monday, Clemente urged the staff to first get the facts and obtain comment from Sherrod before going on air, according to internal notes from the meeting that were provided to The Times. “Let’s make sure we do this right,” he said.

Sherrod ended up resigning Monday afternoon, hours before O’Reilly broke the story on his show. The first reported piece on Fox News, by correspondent James Rosen, aired on Tuesday morning, and included a second video clip that added context to Sherrod’s comments.

Presumably they felt it was safe to run on O’Reilly once Sherrod was fired on the theory that the USDA must have seen the full tape before letting her go. Oops. Exit question: Is Sherrod week in the blogosphere finally over?

Update: Ask and ye shall receive.

Update: As expected, The One asked her to accept Vilsack’s job offer.

Is seven minutes long enough for a thoughtful conversation on race?

President Obama early this afternoon phoned Shirley Sherrod, expressing regret to the former Agriculture Department official whose forced resignation has caused the administration a great deal of embarrassment.

The president and Sherrod spoke from 12:35 pm ET until 12:42, and the president emphasized that Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack “was sincere in his apology” Wednesday, an official White House statement said, as well as in his larger mission to end discrimination at the department.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

She said in the interview that she thinks Bretibart’s web site should be shut down. She may or may not be a racist. A fascist? Most definitely.

angryed on July 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I wish the whole racism issue was over. Never in my life have so many been called racist or Nazis on both sides, but mostly us “wingnuts”. The has to be the most divisive president/administration in history.

scalleywag on July 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I hope she rips him a new one.

vcferlita on July 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM

If I had to guess what the next chapter would be I’d say she’s going to file lawsuits.

scalleywag on July 22, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Ed, I don’t think the week is over for sherrod. As long as the ‘race’ thing gets news, it will be all over the place to blame Fox, the blogs, and TP groups. I agree, this bho will meet with her to get his face on the tube.
L

letget on July 22, 2010 at 1:07 PM

She knows that the senate seat from Illinois has been filled, right?

TexasDan on July 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Exit question: Is Sherrod week in the blogosphere finally over?

Perhaps. But this whole thing really makes me want Congress to put the screws to Holder for the NBP case. Hopefully we’d all find out that holder just wanted to help the “have nots” and not that he’d use his position of power to favor a particular race.

Weight of Glory on July 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM

apparently she has already talked with dear leader for 7 minutes according to msdnc right now….

cmsinaz on July 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM

FUBomARism!

WashJeff on July 22, 2010 at 1:09 PM

My neighborhood is overflowing with those that think like Shirley Sherrod.
Not Clicking.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 1:09 PM

She’s getting pretty big for her britches.

Tav on July 22, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I think what most miss is in the speech she basically plays the class warfare card. She is OK with whites that are poor.

WoosterOh on July 22, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Was she on something? None of what she said made any fricking sense at all.

rollthedice on July 22, 2010 at 1:10 PM

scalleywag on July 22, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Unfathomable.

ButterflyDragon on July 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Is she eligible for unemployment – fired, but for no good reason?

tomg51 on July 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

time for her to move on if she truly had her ‘wake up’ moment 24 years ago, however with her still bashing AB and fox as racists, then she did not wake up, she just stirred in her sleep a little…

cmsinaz on July 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

The lady talks to much !

Sandybourne on July 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

And while the media spends thousands of hours on this…..the banking system quietly gets nationalized.

angryed on July 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Isn’t there someway we can blame this on Bush?

Weight of Glory on July 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

“He is not someone who has experienced what I have experienced.”

Everybody who has ever owned a business or has been in the Military can say that same thing too.

Tony737 on July 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

“He’s not someone who has experienced some of the things I have experienced through life, being a person of color.”

LOL!

DarkCurrent on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Also, dont anyone find it strange that she wins a $13m suit one day, then is hired by the very same person she won the suit against the very next day. No one finds that strange?

WoosterOh on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

…wherein two of the worst race-grievance-peddlers in this nation get their smirk on.

rayra on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Did he take the call on the golf course?

WashJeff on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

My goodness isn’t Ms. Sherrod the very picture of a post-racial African American……

sandee on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Exit question: Is Sherrod week in the blogosphere finally over?

Oh no. It will go on for at least a few more days. I just wonder if Andrew has other video clips of her.

Breitbart has turned the tables on the Left, from them smearing the tea parties as racist to denouncing & then defending one of their own. Well played sir.

Even if she’s had a Road to Damascus moment (I’m not 100% sure she has) then any time any liberal attempts to lie about the conservative movement being racist — without any proof, the Sherrod incident will get thrown right back in their face as a counter example of a false smear (again, at least if she actually has stopped being a bigot.)

rbj on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Rush is the only public figure left in the country with the balls to tell the truth regardless of how his enemies will try to use it against him.

TheBigOldDog on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I sense a cabinet appointment in her future.

Cicero43 on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

TexasDan on July 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I think she wants Vilsack’s job.

Brat on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

PS – Rush is discussing this now.

TheBigOldDog on July 22, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Her and her husband, Charles, have been activists all their lives.

kingsjester on July 22, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Exit question: Is Sherrod week in the blogosphere finally over?

I think Bristol should ask her to be a maid of honor at their wedding, assuming they actually have one, of course. Levi could ask Mel to stay in the country long enough to be his best man.

Tav on July 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

“I haven’t seen such a mean-spirited people as I’ve seen lately over this issue of health care. [Mumurs of agreement.] Some of the racism we thought was buried — [someone in the audience says, "It surfaced!"] Didn’t it surface? Now, we endured eight years of the Bushes and we didn’t do the stuff these Republicans are doing because you have a black president. [Applause]”

JKahn913 on July 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

New FOIA request: records relating to Obama’s call to Sherrod? Filed: “Delay response to Nov. 5, 2012.”

Firefly_76 on July 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I sense a cabinet appointment in her future.

Cicero43 on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

maybe replace janet at DHS?

cmsinaz on July 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

While you’re at it Shirley, demand Obama go to South Carolina and campaign for Alvin Greene.

PatMac on July 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I’m starting to love Mrs. Sherrod. This woman can not keep her mouth shut.
She asks for Obama to call and Obama calls. LOL.
This is getting better as the week goes on.

ORconservative on July 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Sherrod: Worked Against Racism F*cked The Taxpayers All Of My Life

Monica on July 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Now that she’s had her talk with Obama, a joint session of Congress is probably next on the agenda. BTW, how much lead time is needed to convene the General Assembly at the United Nations?

Cicero43 on July 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I feel another beer summit coming!!! BTW, is Obama getting tripped up on race going to be a annual mid-July thing?

Illinidiva on July 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM

angryed on July 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Definitely!!! Rush said earlier, she has a daughter named Russia!

Chances are, Obama and company want to keep this on the back burner. The more info that comes out of this, is the more his true agenda is exposed. She’s definitely a leftists, socialist, communist who’s a firm believer in redistribution!

capejasmine on July 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Get me the President!

Delusions of grandeur much?

mudskipper on July 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Have you heard?

A racist hurricane is heading for the Gulf.

fogw on July 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

LOL!

DarkCurrent on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Hey Shirley: Try growing-up Jewish and conservative in an all black neighborhood and then get back to me.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Boy, Rush is going ballistic on this! He is telling the truth as he always does about this crud of race going on.
L

letget on July 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

“Exit question: Is Sherrod week in the blogosphere finally over?”

Only if there isn’t another video, more damaging that the first, that we haven’t seen because she hasn’t been rehired … yet.

Dusty on July 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

She is getting her 15 minutes and she is determined to make the most of it. Will she go for cabinet level? Bammie will likely do a half-term reshuffle anyway, as most presidents do. Bad move for Bammie, because she still hasn’t been looked into to any extent. Are there any more bombs in her past? What about this rumor of a connection to Bill Ayers?

slickwillie2001 on July 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Exit question: Is Sherrod week in the blogosphere finally over?

I’m sick of the story, but it won’t go away because the left wants to attack Breitbart and Fox News (unfairly – Beck was one of the 1st to defend her), and the right wants to knock the administration for firing this woman the instant they saw the one minute video clip without even talking to her or seeking more information.

And yeah, she’s a commie, but they are a dime a dozen. I’d like for them all to take a hike.

I hope she just talks to BO, and then goes to write her book or whatever.

forest on July 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Cicero43 on July 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM

she’ll be sitting next to michelle at the next SOTU…yeah?

cmsinaz on July 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

“He is not someone who has experienced what I have experienced.”

Since Obambi has never had a real job in his life, this statement is universally true no matter who says it. :)

poxoma on July 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Her “15 minutes”…is it OVER YET???

Um, me thinks the answer is ‘not on your life’.

Yellowdog12 on July 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM

JKahn913 on July 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Wait, I thought she was a Saint now free of racism.

TheBigOldDog on July 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM

WoosterOh on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Very strange. I also find it strange that this relentless woman would let a white person who killed her father get away with it.
Keep talking Shirley.

ORconservative on July 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Sherrod will be rich. Favor done to her.

FOX will be rich and more prominent.

Media will still be in the pants of Obama.

Obama and admin. will be even bigger fools.

Populace is out of work.

Louisiana and area stand to lose 100,000 jobs…and what’s on the news? Lalalalalalalracelalalalalalracelalalalalala

The healer is a heel…out partying like Rome will end this year.

Schadenfreude on July 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I hope she keeps talking.

faraway on July 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM

What a relief that she thinks her Marxism is more important than her racism. Whew! Nothing to see here.

Lehosh on July 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Anyone want to bet that the USDA dummy who called her on her car phone and told her to pull over so she could resign her position is about to get a close-up view the undercarriage of the Obama bus in all its glory?

pilamaye on July 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Her husband, Charles Sherrod, was a member of the SNCC from 1961 – 1967. Stokely Carmichael led the group beginning in 1966. Ayers was a member of the Chicago Chapter and a buddy of Carmichael.

kingsjester on July 22, 2010 at 1:19 PM

So when does Sherrod file her wrongful termination suit against the U.S.? Will she name Obama as one of the defendants?

And who will handle her case? I suggest Jackie Chiles, Kramer’s lawyer on Seinfeld.

BuckeyeSam on July 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I hope she keeps talking.

faraway on July 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Exactly. You get it.

TheBigOldDog on July 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Andy McCarthy at NRO’s Corner quoted some other excerpts from her speech where she talks about how people opposing Healthcare reform and Obama are racists. She got a raw deal on this Breitbart clip and getting fired, she shouldn’t have been.

But, the more I learn about her the more she seems like someone who has been playing the race angle for all it’s worth for a long time. It seems that even after her great awakening 24 years ago, she still views most things through a racial lens.

JohnInCA on July 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

In this day and age, there’s no way some senior manager white-guy (Vilsack) fires a middle-age, female, black grievance-monger in less than half-a-day without approval or pressure from those above. I hope this stays in the news for a while, the story is not complete with Vilsack falling on his sword.

PatMac on July 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Fox just reported Shirley just talked with the Bamster for 7 minutes. I’m sure that was plenty of time for her to fully share with him her racial experience, to make sure he finally understands.

marybel on July 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Every conservative who caved and decided Shirley Sherrod deserved an apology, and those who apologized to her for their own posts on the story, agree with the Holder Justice Department’s policy that black people cannot be racists, or held accountable for their racism.

That’s exactly what you did. The only difference between Shirley Sherrod and the New Black Panthers is the language used. But I’m sure their stories are just as compelling to someone as hers is to those who decided her history trumps her beliefs.

Jaynie59 on July 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

scalleywag on July 22, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I am sure she has already received literally hundreds of calls from hot shot civil rights lawyers. She is gonna have her pick from a whole bunch.

Johnnyreb on July 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

She will still be on stage even after the Fat Lady has sung.

Tav on July 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

There is much much more that will come out about Mrs. Sherrod and her job at the USDA…meanwhile GB echoes in their heads…heh

d1carter on July 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

angryed on July 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Yeah, exactly. Something doesn’t smell right here. Sherrod just got canned in a heartbeat by the very people who she believed had her back and all she wants to talk about is class warfare and social justice and shutting down conservative media.

Kataklysmic on July 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

WoosterOh on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

“Hello, McFly?…”

I’m guessing that by next week we’ll know more than we ever wanted to about Shirley Sherrod’s charade.

Like Beck said…say her last name w/ a snooty British accent…sounds like “charade”!

ornery_independent on July 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Was she on something? None of what she said made any fricking sense at all.

rollthedice on July 22, 2010 at 1:10 PM

She reminds me of Sheila Jackson Lee, just throwing random multi-syllable words into the mix hoping it makes her sound intelligent.

ButterflyDragon on July 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM

She’s getting pretty big for her britches.

Tav on July 22, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Yes she is and she has no reason to. Forget the race angle, what bugs me is that she, the NAACP and the left see nothing wrong with a public official using their power to abuse citizens in the furtherance of any personal agenda.

She never expressed regret for that, so I will assume that she and her ilk still have no problem discriminating against taxpayers based on arbitrary wealth and class prejudices or any other bigoted attitude they may have.

RadClown on July 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I think she wants Vilsack’s job.

Brat on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Probably. And his head on a platter.

TexasDan on July 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Next the heel will hold another speech on race and a conference, he’ll facilitate, to finally drive a dagger into it…heh.

Schadenfreude on July 22, 2010 at 1:23 PM

How come the NAACP gets a walk? Didn’t they already have the full tape and wasn’t its president present at the actual speech.

Caper29 on July 22, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Jaynie59 on July 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Basically they kissed her ass on bended knee even while she was shating on them. Not a pretty picture.

Tav on July 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM

TheBigOldDog on July 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I couldn’t disagree with you more…Palin, Beck, Bachmann, Levin, Breitbart…etc

ornery_independent on July 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM

According to Ben Jealous the NBPP is a creation of Fox News.
*linky coming*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Tav on July 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Thanks for that…at lunchtime.

/s

ornery_independent on July 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM

No she’s not a racist….she just has a way of measuring how black someone really is next to someone else who is black.

By all means give this nut a high paying Federal job.

Hening on July 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM

But will O Duce “shut down Breitbart” for her?

What a fascist old bag.

Rae on July 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM

What was in that 7 minute phone conversation? “Please don’t sue the USDA again, Mrs. Sherrod. We’ll give you a promotion! Would Charles like a job, too?”

kingsjester on July 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I’ll find it curious if a lot of dirty laundy comes out on Ms. Sherrod and yet the government decides to settle (with millions of taxpayer money) rather than defend any lawsuits …

Firefly_76 on July 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM

‘Brilliant Ben’ strikes again.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM

She asked for Jarrets job?
She has The One over a barrel and can shake him down for any job she wants.
How about a new Czarship?

Regan ended the civil rights department in the USDA. Obama could crank it back up to protect us from the crakker farmers.

seven on July 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM

ButterflyDragon on July 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM

That was Harold Washington’s deal when he was mayor of Chicago 20+ years ago.

I remember one line picked up by a TV camera crew where Washington complained about critics by saying that he was tired of “all this hocus-pocus-dominocus.”

BuckeyeSam on July 22, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Kataklysmic on July 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

A lame excuse to get Brietbart shutdown? It gives the fed a shot at Fox news? I concur, something does not pass the smell test here. The tape seems like some sort of plant or bait now. I mean come on, NAACP had the whole tape before this came out and the freaking president of the NAACP was at the meeting depicted on the tape, and he called her a racist before he even looked at it?

Johnnyreb on July 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM

How come the NAACP gets a walk? Didn’t they already have the full tape ……..
Caper29 on July 22, 2010 at 1:23 PM

the $64,000 question the msm will never ask

cmsinaz on July 22, 2010 at 1:32 PM

This POS has had her 15 mins. Get off my TV you opportunist race hustler.

Key West Reader on July 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Is it really too much to ask that highly paid federal employees NOT have actively discriminated in their pre-government employment? And now we have to endure this woman being anointed by the MSM as our nation’s new expert on racial healing. Revolting.

Infidoll on July 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM

She’s getting pretty big for her britches.

[Tav on July 22, 2010 at 1:09 PM]

Knowing you can ‘not do all you can for someone’ when that someone comes to you for help, is very empowering. If they come to you after what you perceive as having acted superior to you, I’d think it would be irresistible.

Dusty on July 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Yeah! How come people in real life don’t act like characters in Pam Grier movies?

YYZ on July 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM

This is ridiculous. Honestly the POTUS has been reduced to a TV drama.

Bush to a fault would not respond to criticism and allowed himself to be completely lambasted in the media. Obama is the polar opposite. This administration is always reacting. Never commanding. Always covering something, some angle, its a public relations adventure on a daily basis. Ridiculous. I disliked Bush’s non-response but I’m beginning to appreciate it. The Obama administration would be wise to remember thaT familiarity breeds contempt.

Theworldisnotenough on July 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Is her 15 minutes in the blogosphere over?

It depends on if she has her demands met. A High Level Political Appointment?

Breitbart sent a message and Shirley received it “This is about the Tea Party”

But he sent another message “I was sent the first recording” and then he goes on later, I asked if I could have a copy of the whole recording, and it was sent to me.” Just Ask And Ye Shall Receive? That means there is at least one spy in the house of love. Which means Breitbart, has at least one contact and access, the question is what else is there?

Is the NAACP going to keep pushing the Tea Party is Racist mantra?

How many times does the Obama Administration want to play Russian Roulette with their proxies – charging the Tea Party with racism?

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM

That was Harold Washington’s deal when he was mayor of Chicago 20+ years ago.

BuckeyeSam on July 22, 2010 at 1:30 PM

late in 7th grade(spring of 1983) I was chased off my school bus by a small mob. Why?
the’mobs’ parents were fans of Harold Washington who was then running fr his first term. My parents were fans of Bernie Epton-and I was stupid enough to mention it to them.
We ALL lived in the suburbs and we were ALL at least 3 years too young to vote anyway.
Didn’t matter. Me and mine were still ‘racists’.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM

What does it sound like when two douchebags hold a conversation?

Bishop on July 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Johnnyreb on July 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

“Her kind” of lawyers?

She said she didn’t know any that were the farmers “kind”.

seven on July 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Shirley Sherrod for Press Secretary!

She should be the mouthpiece of the Ojesus Admin :P

ornery_independent on July 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Listen to the whole tape in context……Glenn.

Sherrod is a racist……..worse she is a Marxist…in her own voice.

lilium on July 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM

This woman is like someone who is accused of a misdemeanor. Turns out she is innocent of that misdemeanor, more or less anyway, but is guilty of 5 other misdemeanors and 3 felonies, and still counting, and yet is regarded as a victim and a heroine by some who deserves an apology. Total dhimmitude.

Tav on July 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM