AP scoop: Why Alvin Greene was discharged from the Air Force

posted at 5:33 pm on July 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

We already knew it was an honorable discharge, but he had consistently refused to tell the press why. Just one of the many mysteries to date surrounding him, along with the, er, unpleasantness in that college computer lab.

Well, the mystery’s now solved. Turns out he had a problem with … performing basic duties.

Greene is “usually capable of handling mundane tasks with supervision” but is “not able to adapt to any changes to daily routine,” the reviewer wrote, also noting that Greene had received multiple disciplinary actions for failing to perform his duties.

Greene was also written up for posting sensitive information on a military Internet server, a mistake that resulted in a three-day work stoppage. Records showed Greene was kept at Shaw while the rest of his unit deployed after leadership “recognized his inability to contribute to the wartime mission.”…

The reviewer also wrote Greene “required a daily to-do list” to perform basic duties and had a “consistent inability to follow instructions or maintain basic job knowledge.” Most seriously, the reviewer wrote that Greene would represent
“a threat to others” because of his inability to grasp the basics of military training.

In additional comments, the reviewer said she would not recommend Greene for promotion but did note his community service work and fundraising efforts for a holiday party. “While Alvin is a decent person, he lacks the basic skills necessary for promotion,” the summary said.

At one point, after the mistake with the military server, they moved him to the department that handles … weapons of mass destruction (albeit, supposedly, only to perform mundane tasks). Greene’s response to the poor reviews? Quote: “I’m telling you who they promote: the terrorists and the communists. This is why we need to overhaul the military and get these people out.” Which, of course, is a vile lie. It’s only terrorists who occasionally get promoted.

The good news here, I guess, is that he doesn’t have to worry much about the new revelations doing any damage to his upset bid. If, like me, you’re already sold on “America’s candidate,” there’s practically nothing that’ll get you to ask for a refund. I mean, seriously — just look at this video. Awesome. (Hat tip to Spruiell.)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It’s not impossible that someone took the ASFAB for him….Military Recruiters have been known to use ringers…they got to make their recruit quotas…..but he didn’t get filtered out in Air Force Training or his MOS training? How?

By the description of his evaluation he isn’t high functioning. He served 7 years in the Air Force? Then someone turned around and got him into the Army. How?

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Now, if he could just knit and sit and gossip and be rudely unhelpful, Greene could be perfect for a position at the Dept of the Interior. Unfortunately, I had to interface with these government employees way back when. I suppose I am now paying dearly for the generous pensions they are now collecting for a job they never really did.

You gotta love big government.

marybel on July 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I was in the Army too and he should have had no problem there.

borntoraisehogs on July 22, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Well, I almost said that but we did have to remember to do as we were instructed. There was a brief period during the Carter administration where all you had to do was not commit a crime, but I thought those days were over.

But seriously, was the guy in the Air Force or the Army because he even said himself that he got the money to run from his “Army pay”.

crosspatch on July 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM

You gotta love big government.

marybel on July 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I do ..luvya Andrew Breitbart
*waves*
;-)

macncheez on July 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Then someone turned around and got him into the Army. How?

Well, that isn’t so hard when I think back on it. “Prior service” enlistees seemed to have a fairly easy go of it.

crosspatch on July 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM

There were several worthy candidates in that post, but the winner of the ‘pefect al greene bumper sticker slogan’ is:

pure gold…he cannot lose

DrW on July 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM

crosspatch on July 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Both: Six months after that evaluation, Greene was honorably discharged from the Air Force. A year later, he joined the Army National Guard, in which he served about six months before joining the U.S. Army.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Hey, the dude put out some good music though.

faraway on July 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Someone told him “With your aptitude you belong in politics”

Uh huh okay.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM

If Greene beats DeMint that wouldn’t be racist would it? Any state that would elect Lindsey Graham, would elect Alvin Greene.

volsense on July 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM

That was awesome.

The LeBron footage will not help him though. LeBron is toxic right now, even in the black community.

xRos on July 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM

As for the ASVAB, not everyone has to be a rocket scientist to get in and the requirements now (especially the Air Force) are FAR more stringent than they were.

I mean, there still are lower tier jobs that have to be done, and lower tier scores to do them.

tree hugging sister on July 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Could the AP work on some school transcripts and client lists of The Won now?

Cindy Munford on July 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM

He wins he gets to be on tv all the time as the Democrat spokes person from South Carolina…it’s not like Georgia Representative who thinks if you add troops to an island it might tip over. Alvin’s been a troop and he has been on an island he knows it won’t tip over.

It’s time to rubber stamp him :)

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM

tree hugging sister on July 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM

When I took the ASVAB in 1988 women had to get a minimum score of 50-I received a …69-but men could pass with a 20.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Every time Alvin goes on the floor of the Senate to speak his mind, it will feel like he is filibustering.

Electrongod on July 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM

tree hugging sister on July 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM

He took it in the 90s, he couldn’t have scored that high and he didn’t end up working in the MESS or whatever the equivalent is in the Air Force.

The article doesn’t mention what he did when he was enlisted in the Army. Prior service and honorable discharge helped his Army recruiter get him in.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM

But recruiters aren’t allowed to just put in low scoring candidates they have to put in so many high scores before they can put in someone “marginal”.

Alvin took the ASVAB in the 90s when we were drawing down. Remember Clinton gutted the military.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Seriously, how in the hell did he score high enough on the ASVAB to get into the military?

ladyingray on July 22, 2010 at 6:12 PM

It’s not a particularly difficult test, from what I remember – just a standardized multiple-guess. He got a BA from the University of South Carolina, and the general requirements for that degree were probably at least as tough as the ASVAB.

malclave on July 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM

“usually capable of handling mundane tasks with supervision”

Check

“not able to adapt to any changes to daily routine,”

posting sensitive information on a military Internet server

inability to contribute to the wartime mission.”…

“required a daily to-do list” to perform basic duties

Check

“consistent inability to follow instructions or maintain basic job knowledge.”

decent person

Issue, but can be corrected

Final rating – well qualified for Congress or Cabinet position. With one minor exception, he will fit right in on day one.

Jim M. on July 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

It’s time to rubber stamp him :)

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I don’t think Alvin would care or notice if the island tipped over. If he did, he would think it was the Senate Reality Show, and he got booted off.

Cody1991 on July 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Women ALWAYS had to have a higher GT (as we called it when I enlisted in the Marine Corps in ’80) to get in. Never could figure that out…{8^P

tree hugging sister on July 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM

consistent inability to follow instructions or maintain basic job knowledge

He would fit in perfectly in Congress.

While Alvin is a decent person

Then again, maybe not …

ajackson on July 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Perfectly qualified to be in the current congress / whitehouse

sonofdy on July 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM

@ Dr. Evil

The Army always has had a lot more latitude with lower scores for recruits, even now.

tree hugging sister on July 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM

The records obtained by AP only reveal a small slice of Greene’s service record, his three years with the U.S. Air Force. After serving in junior ROTC in high school, Greene entered the Air National Guard in 1995, serving there until 2002.

They recruited him out of high school. He goes into the Air Force but first he goes into the Air National Guard. Then when he goes into the Army, but first he went into the National Guard.

It must have been easier to get him in both services by sending him through the Air National Guard and Army National Guard first.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM

@ Dr. Evil

tree hugging sister on July 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM

My husband was an Army recruiter he couldn’t put in low scores till they put in 3 or 4 alphas and betas. That’s back in 2005 era.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:46 PM

You can take the ASVAB online right HERE.

But be warned you might be contacted by a recruiter GRIN.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM

“usually capable of handling mundane tasks with supervision”

Check

“not able to adapt to any changes to daily routine,”

posting sensitive information on a military Internet server

inability to contribute to the wartime mission.”…

“required a daily to-do list” to perform basic duties

Check

“consistent inability to follow instructions or maintain basic job knowledge.”

decent person

Issue, but can be corrected

Jim M. on July 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Nicely done.

That is Pelosi’s requirement of every Democrat. And this is the description of every Democrat for several decades. They are zombies. Alvin will fit right in. He’s the perfect, Dem candidate.

Cody1991 on July 22, 2010 at 6:49 PM

The Army has a quota system and each recruiter and recruiting team have to meet their mission every month. But they are not allowed to just put in anyone (like say 4 low scores in a row) these people have to fill an MOS’ in the military, they have to score within a range, than they can put in a low scorer or a GED candidate….but that candidate comes in 4th or 5th in the line up.

Alvin went to high school, so he was already meeting on of the standards.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

correction: already meeting one of the standards.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Doc, that actually makes him a perfect fit for Congress!

TugboatPhil on July 22, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I’m with

tree hugging sister on July 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM

on this one.
As much as we like Forest/Chance the Gardener, we can’t afford to lose Demint. Not now.

I’m nervous. :(

Bee on July 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Women ALWAYS had to have a higher GT (as we called it when I enlisted in the Marine Corps in ‘80) to get in. Never could figure that out…{8^P

tree hugging sister on July 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM
Semper Fi! Thanks for your service!

I washed-out of boot camp due to a coordination problem in 1989. It turns out that many women with Asperger’s Syndrome are uncoordinated. I wasn’t diagnosed w/AS until 2003 so I didn’t know that.
The DI’s liked me so I was given an entry-level separation under honorable circumstances due to physical defect or some such.
Those being discharged for ‘mental’ reasons were given FTA’s ‘Failure to Adapt’.
I wish it had worked out-but my husband’s a former Marine.
Everything happens according to God’s plan.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Doc, that actually makes him a perfect fit for Congress!

TugboatPhil on July 22, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I think somebody else thought that too…Did Alvin Greene come up with all of this all on his own or is there someone close to him guiding him?

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

When I was a DI in 89, we had this one recruit that could kind of remember the knowledge we kept pumping into all the recruits verbally, but he wasn’t learning things on his own. During one session, we pulled him aside and said since he didn’t want to learn, he needed some good old IPT (incentive physical training)to help him learn. After we IPTed him for the SOP time, we took his knowledge book and told him to read. He could not completely read a single sentence. He then had two DIs using forceful vocalizations on each side askign him who took his ASVAB test for him. We then IPTed him some more and said all he had to do was tell us the truth and we we stop. He finally admitted that his recruiters got a ringer to take the ASVAB test for him. As soon as he admitted that to us, we stopped IPTing him and he was allowed to go home.

PrettyD_Vicious on July 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM

“While Alvin is a decent person…”

Well, that puts Alvin above 90% of those already in Congress, I’d say.

petefrt on July 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM

High school’s a big deal. For instance, you couldn’t get into the Marine Corps as a woman without that diploma when I enlisted (No GED need apply, either.), but not true for the guys at all. Now, don’t even walk into a recruiter’s office if you dhaven’t finished high school. They’ll laugh you right out the door. You’re competing for spots with kids that are well on their way or may have already finished college degrees.

tree hugging sister on July 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM

As to Alvin Green, I wish he was running against Graham. I would move to SC just to vote for him to replace Graham. DeMint I want him to stay.

PrettyD_Vicious on July 22, 2010 at 7:04 PM

PrettyD_Vicious on July 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM</blockquote

Alvin's first recruiter from 1995 might not still be in service but his Army recruiter from 2005 might be.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 7:07 PM

PrettyD_Vicious on July 22, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I heard that GRIN

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM

After 7 years I seem less AS and more quirky …and I have several friends who think that someday I should run for office.
If we ever move to a conservative-friendly area I might.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I’d vote for ya in a heartbeat! However, Lost Angels, CaliFUBARnia, is soooooooooo not a conservative-friendly area… :-(

Mary in LA on July 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Mary in LA on July 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I thank you-and sympathize.
My ‘congressman’ is Jesse Jackson Jr.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 22, 2010 at 7:12 PM

crosspatch on July 22, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I was going too guess “Blue to Green” program, when the AF was drawing down and the Army was desperate for bodies.

However his EPR (Enlisted Performance Report) reads like the joke one I kept in my desk drawer for my junior NCOs. The only bullet missing is “Has hit rock bottom and continues to dig.”

cobrakai99 on July 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Why is it the press can get into Greene’s records, but they can’t find Obama’s grades at Harvard and the other University’s he attended, plus Obama’s SAT and LSAT scores?

albill on July 22, 2010 at 7:17 PM

cobrakai99 on July 22, 2010 a

But we haven’t seen it all, this is what the AP got a hold of and shared. How did the AP get a hold of his evaluation, did he share it with them? They never name his reviewer in the article. I wonder if a reporter asked, do you have any copies of your military service records, and he shared what he had?

They made him show proof of how he came by the $10,000. He showed them his Army pay records?

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 7:23 PM

If anyone is advising “handling” Alvin, they aren’t doing a very good job. If this is all him, all I can say, America truly is the Greatest Country in the World. Absolutely anything is possible in America.

Dr Evil on July 22, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Unable to perform basic functions of the job? Sounds like he meets the Democrat requirement for office — Teddy Kennedy, Kleagle Byrd, and Barry Hussein all come to mind. Slogan suggestion: “Vote Greene — The Government Says He’s As Qualified As Any Other Dem”

RhymesWithRight on July 22, 2010 at 7:34 PM

sounds like the perfect democrat candidate…

Darvin Dowdy on July 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM

He’s perfect for the Democratic Caucus:

When in that House MPs divide
If they’ve got a brain and cerebellum too
They’ve got to leave that brain outside
And vote just as their leaders tell’em to.

—-
I grew so rich that I was sent
By a pocket borough into Parliament.
I always voted at my Party’s call
And I never thought of thinking for myself at all.

njcommuter on July 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM

So he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed, but can you folks honestly say that he is not comparable in intelligence to Bobby Rush, Nancy Pelosi, Hank Johnson, Sheila Jackson-Lee, Madame Boxer, etc?

PS Yes of course, how did the media dig up all this amazing data? Must be new techniques perfected since the 2008 election.

slickwillie2001 on July 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Sounds like the perfect Democrat. Let him talk all he wants!Yeah – those people down there in South Carolina really know their sh*t, don’t they? Ol’ Alvin has even passed the hide and seek test – hide the truth and let them seek. Jesus!

LarryG on July 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM

njcommuter on July 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Another Gilbert and Sullivan fan! O joy, o rapture unforeseen! :-)

Mary in LA on July 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM

So this isn’t a joke, then?

Q. What’s the difference between Greene and Obama?

A. A teleprompter.

Daggett on July 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM

He seems as good as or better than a lot of people we have now! I’d vote for him.

scalleywag on July 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM

The poor guy looks like a deer in the headlights.

I just had the best laugh of the week while watching that video … well done.

ORrighty on July 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM

“While Alvin is a decent person, he lacks the basic skills necessary for promotion”

And this would disqualify him for Congress, how?

In fact as a decent person, he would be qualified for a leadership position.

DSchoen on July 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Alvin seems like a nice fellow. However, if he is not able to wrap his mind around complex issues and understand the implications of legislative proposals, then …

…well, what the f*ck; it’s not like anybody actually reads the shiot they’re voting on anyway.

hillbillyjim on July 22, 2010 at 10:14 PM

BTW, aren’t these records unobtainable without the consent of Greene? How did the AP get them?

Dusty on July 22, 2010 at 6:06 PM

In tomorrow’s news articles we will see that they were leaked by a “high level government official who wished to remain anonymous because they were not authorized to leak the information”.

Hazzard on July 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Comming to a DMV near you…

M-14 2go on July 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM

You gotta love big government.

marybel on July 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I dunno. You might be playing too small here. I’m thinkin’ he’s a solid step up from the current occupant of the White House….

nukemhill on July 22, 2010 at 10:53 PM

nukemhill on July 22, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Yeah, yuck it up about Mr. Greene’s problems.

Then remember that he’s not the guy who referred to Ms. Haley as a “raghead.”

ebrown2 on July 22, 2010 at 11:30 PM

malclave on July 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Greene would be less of an embarrassment than Boxer or Nancy P! to the state and not likely to do to much damage to the country.

DSchoen on July 22, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Is it just me… or was that video rapped by a guy who sounds whiter than Happy Goodman?

Johnny 100 Pesos on July 23, 2010 at 12:23 AM

DSchoen on July 22, 2010 at 11:32 PM

One difference between Greene and someone like Pelosi, is that I suspect Greene knows his limitations. Pelosi, and Conyers, Johnson, etc, all think that they are just brilliant. The latter is far more dangerous.

slickwillie2001 on July 23, 2010 at 12:54 AM

He’s the black Chauncey Gardener.

RadClown on July 23, 2010 at 2:01 AM

Stupid, idealistic, simplistic. If he could only do as he’s told, he would be a perfect democrat.

Squiggy on July 23, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Actually if you give him the ‘To Do’ list on what to do for bills as they appear on the floor, and remind him that to be ‘independent’ and ‘his own man’ that he really shouldn’t let unanimous consent requrests get by without dissenting, thus requiring entire bills to be read out loud… you know, that’s pretty ideal…

And it looks like he has just the temperment to sit and listen for hours on end to multi-thousand page bills being read out.

I wouldn’t vote for him because that does take that smidgen of wanting to be ‘independent’… but if he showed that… well someone who promised to get each and every procedure fully done, read-out and all procedures fully done? Why, yes… that would bring the Senate and Congress to a grinding, screeching, final halt.

Just one man, with aspirations to mediocrity, can make a difference!

ajacksonian on July 23, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Anyone remember the movie Being There. I keep waiting to see video of him in an elevator saying “This is a very small room.”

ttime500 on July 23, 2010 at 8:34 AM

In spite of the fact that SC elected that turd, Grahamnesty, I don’t think Alvin has a prayer in that state. Now if he were to move to Minnesota…

Extrafishy on July 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM

In fact as a decent person, he would not be qualified for a leadership position.

DSchoen on July 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM