Should Shirley Sherrod get her job back?

posted at 11:30 am on July 21, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It certainly looks as though the White House is having second thoughts about pushing Shirley Sherrod out of the USDA after Andrew Breitbart’s video clip of her speech at an NAACP banquet last year.  Multiple media outlets are reporting that Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack is “reconsidering” her resignation after the full video showed a different context for her remarks:

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Wednesday that he will reconsider the abrupt firing of Shirley Sherrod, a Georgia-based Agriculture Department official who was the victim of a media frenzy over comments that turned out to have been distorted by video editing.

“I am of course willing and will conduct a thorough review and consider additional facts to ensure to the American people we are providing services in a fair and equitable manner,” Vilsack said in a statement e-mailed by USDA at 2:07 a.m.

A White House official said: “Not sure what the ultimate result will be, but it’s clear that with new information through the full speech, a longer look needed to be taken. The White House contacted the Department last night about the case and agreed, based on new evidence, that it should be reviewed.”

Not that Sherrod is anxious to return:

The woman at the center of a racially tinged firestorm involving the Obama administration and the NAACP said Wednesday she doesn’t know if she’d return to her job at the Agriculture Department, even if asked.

“I am just not sure how I would be treated there,” Shirley Sherrod said in a nationally broadcast interview. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Wednesday he would reconsider the department’s decision to oust Sherrod over her comments that she didn’t give a white farmer as much help as she could have 24 years ago.

She said later in a broadcast interview that she might consider returning if she had the chance, saying she’s received encouraging calls, including one from the NAACP.

Sherrod increasingly looks like the person caught in the middle as everyone, well, acted stupidly.  The NAACP started this rockfight by loudly proclaiming its intent to declare the Tea Party movement racist on the basis of fringe elements that have been repeatedly and loudly repudiated by Tea Party activists.  They eventually retreated somewhat from that position, but set into motion the natural rebuttals that flow from such inflammatory accusations.

Andrew Breitbart then posted the entirety of two clips he had acquired from Sherrod’s speech, not so much to note Sherrod’s claims of having initially discriminated against a farmer on the basis of his race, but to point to the positive reaction this generated at the NAACP dinner at which she appeared.  Breitbart told me on the Hugh Hewitt show that he had posted everything he had and wanted to get the entire speech video, but wasn’t sure it existed.  Even Ben Jealous, president of the NAACP, acknowledged Breitbart’s argument as reasonable in his initial statement:

We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers.

Her actions were shameful. While she went on to explain in the story that she ultimately realized her mistake, as well as the common predicament of working people of all races, she gave no indication she had attempted to right the wrong she had done to this man.

The reaction from many in the audience is disturbing. We will be looking into the behavior of NAACP representatives at this local event and take any appropriate action.

Interestingly, the audience apparently included Jealous himself, who later claimed to have been “snookered” by Breitbart.  Sherrod acknowledges the presence of “the president” in the beginning of the speech.  It seems that Jealous, in his haste to distance himself from a situation his organization created in the first place, either didn’t recall the speech or didn’t bother to check for himself whether the NAACP had the full speech in its archives.  That pressure to act quickly wouldn’t have existed, either, had the NAACP refrained from attacking the Tea Party’s motivations rather than its arguments.

The White House, in its haste to get out of a rapidly-expanding rockfight over racism, did the politically expedient thing: it demanded Sherrod’s resignation.  Conservatives looking to play hardball with the NAACP leapt into the fight and made Sherrod the target — and I include myself in that group — without waiting for further context (with some notable exceptions, including my coblogger).  As it turns out, the context shows that Sherrod got treated unfairly by just about everyone involved, as her anecdote actually did have a message of redemption from focus on racial identity … ironically enough.

I owe Shirley Sherrod an apology, and I do apologize for leaping to my conclusion from the edited clip.  I believe that Sherrod should at least be offered her job back, and not because I support her politics (I don’t) or think she should have been appointed to the position in the first place (that’s the prerogative of the White House).  She lost her job because of a controversy in which she had no role to begin with and didn’t participate in, and regardless of any other considerations, that’s just not right.

What do you think?  Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Give Blacks Help… Full Force
Give Whites Bankruptcy.. Not so Full Force

Yeah…

That’s about right

roflmao

donabernathy on July 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

So you want it to be illegal to be racist, or sexist, or whatever? Sorry. Making illegal some actions in connection with employment is fine by me, but I don’t want the government telling me what beliefs I can hold.

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Do you think people should be fired if they are not doing the job they were hired to do?

It’s one thing if she says, “I believe in black v white and poor v rich and I hate when some arrogant white man comes in and I’m forced to help him, but, that doesn’t matter because it’s my job and I do my job well.”

It’s another thing if she says, “I didn’t do everything I could to help this guy because he was an arrogant white guy and I thought his own kind should help him.”

As an employer I would let go of people that weren’t doing their jobs well regardless of the reason (with a few extenuating circumstances allowed for like illnesses). This situation is made worse by her admission that her reason for not doing a good job was racism. This means that she was slacking at her job as well as violating the departments Equal Opportunity rules.

JadeNYU on July 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

No one’s convicting him yet.
rbj on July 21, 2010 at 1:19 PM

The science is settled. The debate is over. Rubbing Algore’s inner thighs causes thermospheric contractions.

petefrt on July 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

The Rural Development Leadership Network announced last summer that New Communities Inc. — a group Sherrod formed with husband Charles, who is a civil rights activist, and with other black farmers — had reached the agreement. The RDLN said the USDA had “refused” to offer new loans or restructure old loans to members of New Communities, leading to the discrimination claim.

The announcement said that in addition to the $13 million to New Communities, Shirley and Charles Sherrod would each get $150,000 for “pain and suffering.”

Sherrod and her husband are race baiters – painting something that was probably a normal dollars and cents business decision as “discrimination”. Good riddance.

runner on July 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

“journalists” like George Snuffalumpolous, networks like ABC, etc all turn their guns on Brietbart and blame HIM for what they themselves did – MISSING THE CONTEXT OF THE VIDEO.

Sheesh!!!!!

Fatal on July 21, 2010 at 1:19 PM

They don’t like a mirror being held up to them….they don’t want to see…they resent Breitbart, he shows them up for what they are lazy and biased.

Nothing like a good old object lesson to get everyone’s attention.

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Have you followed how Israel significantly reduced the items that were subject to the blockade in the last few weeks?

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

So what.

the_nile on July 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM

The same Charles Johnson who also claimed the Tennessee state flag was a white supremacist symbol.

I called him out on that myself. But you’re useless since you make no mention of any other stories on his site. Mentioning the one that you can think that he got wrong basically tells me that every other story listed is right…by your standard.

Tell me which of these stories is inaccurate.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Race? It’s the Class-Warfare, Stupid!

Maquis on July 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM

It is of the highest importance in the art of analysis to be able to recognize out of a number of facts which are incidental and which vital. Otherwise your energy and attention must be dissipated instead of being concentrated.

semloh on July 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Brietbart as the villain is nothing new. He was threatened with prosecution during the ACORN videos. Same old story, only one side is racist and only one side is held to account for their actions.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM

The next time he posts a video or the next outrage, it will be ignored. His credibility has changed like I’ve never seen before. The next time, it won’t result in action and it won’t go beyond right wing blogs and Fox News. He has done conservatives an injustice.

I’m loyal to no one.(except God and family)

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

You mean the guy who sends his minions to conservative blogs in the middle of the night to plant vile comments? Good choice for a reference.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 1:10 PM

A few months back one of said ‘minion’s’ sent me a message on my Facebook account-where I use my real name.
It used expressions that I use regularly in my comments and referred to me as ‘an annoying little c*nt’.
I have a good idea which ‘minion’ it was.
What sweet, credible sources they are.//sarc.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

David Frum put it best when he said this is the same as when Rather reported that forged memo

Who is David Frum? I have paid close attention to national politics for a good 20 years, yet I don’t recall ever hearing of an important or influential person named Frum. I guess I should look harder.

As to what this Frum person said comparing Sherrod’s withholding of help to a white farmer to FORGED documents, I can understand as to why nobody pays attention to him.

Those documents regarding Bush were completely fake. What was fake about Sherrod’s comments about withholding help to a white farmer due to his race? What was fake about Sherrod’s comments that she only gave him enough him to satisfy the Department of Agriculture’s follow-up QC check? What was fake about Sherrod’s comments clarifying that the issue WAS about black and white? What was fake about Sherrod’s comments that the white farmer could get help from his own kind?
A mea culpa doesn’t change history. People can yell “context” all they want, but it doesns’t change the fact that she, while associated with the Department of Agriculture, withheld help to a farmer due to his race.

mcg0125 on July 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM

So what.

the_nile on July 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Like I said – predictable. Never fails. They always take the bait.

Cody1991 on July 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM

So there are no white racists working government? LOL! ROFL! LMAO!

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I apologize. I sometimes forget to phrase things in a way that liberals will understand.

There is no way any white person working for the government, caught expressing his racism on video, would keep his job because his racism is understandable due to his history of being a victim of black people. Anyone who even argued that position would be vilified for it.

I hope the bolded parts helps.

Jaynie59 on July 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I wouldn’t bet the farm on that.

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

JadeNYU on July 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I think people should be fired if they’re not properly doing their jobs. But there’s a difference between “doing everything in their power” or “doing their jobs”. I haven’t listened to the tape, but doesn’t she also say she changed her behavior subsequent to that incident? Doesn’t that say she learned from her mistake?

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Will Shirley get her job back? Will Mel really leave America? Will Levi and Bristol get their own reality show and live happily ever after? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of “As the Tripe Turns”.

KentAllard on July 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

There is no racism except for black racism. Please avert your gaze as needed.
The managemnt

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM

btw, there is a HUGE difference between ACORN and this lady. It has made him look like someone who stomps kittens.

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM
Aren’t you needed over at StormFront-I mean Ron Paul’s fan page.

Just. Go. Away.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Sirley Sherrod Transcript
=================================

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM

But instead, someone cried “off with her head” and so it was done. Due process, we hardly knew ye.
hawksruleva on July 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I’m hearing voices. This one sounds sane.

DarkCurrent on July 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I wouldn’t bet the farm on that.

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I would. Liberal media is already warning the WH to stop feeding the dogs table scraps at the dinner table…or they’ll keep coming back. This embarrassment will change things drastically.

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

There is no racism except for black racism. Please avert your gaze as needed.
The managemnt

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

*sigh*

I shall rename you “The Race Obsessed Race Card” … or TRORC

darwin on July 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

There is no racism except for black racism. Please avert your gaze as needed.
The managemnt

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Wow. Congratulations on being named the third main contributor to this site. Ed, AP, why didn’t you tell us? And while you’re at it, teach him how to use spell check.

kingsjester on July 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

JadeNYU on July 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I totally agree with you!

Unfortunately, in the time I’ve been reading here, I’ve learned one thing. In some cases…you can’t fix stupid, no matter how much you instill common sense, facts, and validity to your arguments….some just can’t crawl out of their liberal brains, long enough to think for themselves.

capejasmine on July 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Drudge came back after having posts about how some newspaper was going to have articles about affairs that Kerry had. It will just take Brietbart quite a bit of time. Perhaps he’ll wait to get the whole story next time before going public with just a piece (which would be a good thing in all cases in this age of the internet).

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

This Lady “held a great deal of power” This Lady has been paid with tax payer dollars. Stomping Kittens? This Lady is a career bureaucrat.

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Please send your comment to the progressive propagandists posing as the “media”.

darwin on July 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

runner on July 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

This ^^^^

Ms. Sherrod’s small fry in the redistribution of wealth and she’s made her uppers a tad anxious

BowHuntingTexas on July 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Are you naturally high-strung? Who watches liberal media- networks? Liberals. Who has been coming in last in ratings CNN, MSBNC. Who comes in first Fox News, so exactly who is going to have their minds changed, that don’t already think the same way in the first place?

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I think Sherrod should get a paid suspension while her record is investigated for discrimination. If cleared, she should be reinstated.

OxyCon on July 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

You’re not talking to a liberal. But I am talking to a bigot.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM
Aren’t you needed over at StormFront-I mean Ron Paul’s fan page.

Just. Go. Away.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Aah. No. Israel did significantly increase the items allowed into Gaza under the embargo, including a bunch of consumer items such as (if I remember correctly) ground coffee, candy, canned fruit and soda/pop. There really were no good reasons for those items to ever have been banned by Israel, other than just to make the Palestinians’ lives more unhappy.

But almost all of you reflexively supported Israel even though it must have known it was wrong. Just like some of the knee jerk reactions to this story.

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I suggest you go watch the entire Sherrod video as well as the footage by the farming family in question, the ones who Breitbart called plants.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM

darwin on July 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

One thing most newspapers have is an editor who forces reporters to verify the facts and sources for a story before it gets published and who generally holds off publishing a story until a fairly complete factual investigation occurs. Looks like Breitbart needs to have an editor.

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

KentAllard on July 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I understand your point, and you are right on one level.

On another this nonsense is what the real fight is about. Which particular stooge gets selected to dance in the halls of power matter a lot less. They aren’t going to change anything.

As government grows bureaucrats like Shirley Sherrod have a great deal of power, and meanwhile Paris Hilton and her clown posse are doing their part as well.

sharrukin on July 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM

According to Sherrod’s full speech, I put her age at about 62. A short Google search shows up government employment from at least 1985. That means she has at least 25 years in.

The lady will enjoy a generous government pension on top of the money she will now make from this incident. I wouldn’t waste too much time feeling sorry for Shirley Sherrod.

Jaynie59 on July 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I watch everything. I’m loyal to no one.

Most people do not watch cable news. They watch a few minutes of network news daily before dinner. Only political junkies watch cable news and that is a small portion of the population.

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

There is no racism except for black racism. Please avert your gaze as needed.
The managemnt

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Thanks so much for sharing that.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Looks like Breitbart needs to have an editor.

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

That would be too close to actually being a journalist. Clearly he’s more interested in fake news gathering.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Can she stay fired for being a Marxist?

Count to 10 on July 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Awww. Breitbait cares.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Stuff like that and the comments from someone here to another person about their site has kept me from joining Facebook. I miss a lot of HA commenters who have moved on but not enough to chance being harassed.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, so does anyone know if Shirley Sherrod was a civil service employee or a political appointee? It makes a big difference. If she was civil service they should have legally gone through a lengthy process to fire her, or force her to quit. They went through no lengthy process. If she was a political appointee then she serves at the will of the President.

KentAllard on July 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

You’re not talking to a liberal. But I am talking to a bigot.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

That’s hilarious. Guilty as charged. I’m so flattered.

Jaynie59 on July 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

He didn’t edit anything to begin with, kid. He posted the entire piece of video that was provided to him.

The NY Times, on the other hand, happily ran a false story about John McCain on Page 1, and C-BS “News” ran a false story on George W. Bush based on forged documents.

Neither of them were called on it by your side, and Dan Rather was even given a journalistic award by his peers.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Lot’s of people don’t even watch Network news, it’s on the decline. ( you are making my point for me about the size of the fallout and if it has a chilling effect) Again anyone who is paying attention to this issue has already made up their mind – they are already predisposed to no “Consume” Breitbart’s offerings.

Breitbart had the video since April, people really think he is an Internet Novice? Everything got weighed before it got posted.

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Really? Like Steven Glass’ editor at TNR?

blink on July 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Is this how you argue? Debate classes should never have been removed from school curricula.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Every Troll currently registered with Hot Air has hit the active breitbart sites trying to disrupt this Conservative site. What a shame.

kingsjester on July 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

That’s hilarious. Guilty as charged. I’m so flattered.

Jaynie59 on July 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

At least you’re honest. That goes a long way with me. Thank you for that.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Clearly he’s more interested in fake news gathering.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

What did he fake?

KentAllard on July 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM
Really? Like Steven Glass’ editor at TNR?

blink on July 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Or the NYT’s running a story about infidelity with the McCains….or the entire MSM gang pouncing on Palin, and doing a cover up for Obama?

capejasmine on July 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Awww. Breitbait cares.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

How so? He’s saying the exact same thing he said when he first released the video, which was that it wasn’t about Sherrod herself, but about her audience’s response.

F-

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

That Breitbart posts.

kingsjester on July 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

This is for ernesto, The Race Card, Jimbo3 and anyone else who is taking the opportunity to pile on with charges of “racism” against the tea party. Per Mary Francis Berry at Politico (h/t RS):

Tainting the tea party movement with the charge of racism is proving to be an effective strategy for Democrats. There is no evidence that tea party adherents are any more racist than other Republicans, and indeed many other Americans. But getting them to spend their time purging their ranks and having candidates distance themselves should help Democrats win in November. Having one’s opponent rebut charges of racism is far better than discussing joblessness.

This is what you’re contributing to. Is that what you want?

alwaysfiredup on July 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Really? Like Steven Glass’ editor at TNR?

blink on July 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

My recollection is that Glass fabricated some evidence to back up his stories and that’s why the New Republic stood by him for a while.

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Debate classes should never have been removed from school curricula.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

LOL, you’re proof of that.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Sad isn’t it? Hypocrisy, bias, and stupid. They’re all dangerous combinations, and they seem to come here, when they think they can win the argument. It’s almost funny if it weren’t so sad.

capejasmine on July 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Then he will have hurt himself. Actions of consequences. Since you aren’t “loyal” to him then his actions have no impact on you. That’s good.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

This is what you’re contributing to. Is that what you want?

alwaysfiredup on July 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I can answer for them.

That is exactly what they want.

sharrukin on July 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

At least you’re honest. That goes a long way with me. Thank you for that.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Doesn’t take much to make your day.

KentAllard on July 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

What did he fake?

KentAllard on July 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

The tape, the context, the story. Isn’t that enough?

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

This is what you’re contributing to. Is that what you want?

alwaysfiredup on July 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I suspect that if they had to rob a child of it’s only meal, they’d do it….if it meant winning elections.

capejasmine on July 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

alwaysfiredup on July 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

That’s it, that’s all they got?

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Naturoboy must be banned. He would not have missed this Troll Reunion.

kingsjester on July 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Interestingly, the audience apparently included Jealous himself,

A White person acting as Shirley did in front of an audience of like minded white bigots would be excoriated by the media and have to hide.

A White person would not get their job back. Al Sharpton and the “Reverend” Jackson would be calling for jail time or worse and they would be yelling about the audience as well.

Hey Jimbo, she’s still a racist and so are the people in the audience. She screwed over white people because of the color of their skin and we do not know how many others there may have been.

Her statement that she realized her mistake is too little too late.

dogsoldier on July 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Doesn’t take much to make your day.

KentAllard on July 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Doesn’t take much to misrepresent what I said. My kids and wife make my day. That bigot just made me appreciate his honesty. Beyond that he’s dunnage.

You have wonderful powers of exaggeration. You must be a fact-checker over at Breitbait.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Looks like Breitbart needs to have an editor.

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

“Fake news gathering”?

Oh, you must mean like the fake news the news channel of choice for the Democrats, CNN, has done for decades. See “Tailwind”, “Iraq”, and “Eason Jordan”.

Or are you referring to Democrat C-BS Managing Editor/Chief Anchor Dan Rather’s use of forged documents in order to present a false story to affect the outcome of a Presidential Election?

Dan was in fact rewarded by his peers for that.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM

The tape, the context, the story. Isn’t that enough?

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

You’re only reading, seeing, and believing what you want to. You’re ignoring many of the facts that have been laid out here. So your argument, or attempts at debate are invalid. I’ve seen several point out to you specifics of why this was brought to light, and you’re only ignoring it. Brietbart said himself, this was never about Shirley, but about the reactions to what she said by those at this NAACP conference. If you have rebuttal to that, then continue. Otherwise, you’re waisting yours, and our time. You might get more from your stance if you post all this at KOS.

capejasmine on July 21, 2010 at 2:01 PM

The tape, the context, the story. Isn’t that enough?

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

The tape was real. The release of the full tape confirmed that. How was it faked?

The context is immaterial. It’s a taped confession of discrimination against an American citizen by a government employee in their job capacity.

You wouldn’t give two s**ts if the person in question were white. You’ve always lost your cookies if the issue is racial and reverted to “race over reason” juvenile troll mode.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Breitbart should have held off for twelve or twenty four hours before posting the incomplete video. He wanted sensationalism and it blew up on him.

And, from what I remember of the NYT story, it never alleged that McCain had an affair. It said that he had a close (and apparently powerful) relationship with a woman-lobbyists and that some of his aides were concerned that he was having an affair–or were concerned that the appearance of a close relationship and McCain’s help for the lobbyist’s client would hurt him.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us/politics/21mccain.html And

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM

What did he fake?

KentAllard on July 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

The tape, the context, the story. Isn’t that enough?

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Translated: “I can’t answer the question.”

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I don’t know a soul who watches cable news, knows about this site or heard of Breibart. I’m including all family, friends and co-workers. I brought this up at work yesterday and they all(in a meeting) looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. When I see them tomorrow, a few of them may have heard of this by now but it will be the network news version.

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM

You act as if no whites have ever expressed straight-up bigotry and kept their job. You’re just dumb. Sorry.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Her statement that she realized her mistake is too little too late.

dogsoldier on July 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM

So why did AP have a story last night about how all of her clients (as reported) thought she did a great job in helping them?

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM

fastestslug on July 21, 2010 at 2:02

Yes I see what you are stating, but you need to factor in interest, attention span, and retention. People are known for using their remotes when something bores them ;)

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 2:05 PM

The tape, the context, the story. Isn’t that enough?

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I have seen no evidence that he faked the tape at all. He was, in fact, very up front as he said from the start that he only had access to a part of the tape, so saying that he faked the context or the story makes no sense. You truly have the mentality of a lynch mob. You really do.

Tav on July 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Dan was in fact rewarded by his peers for that.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I don’t remember any evidence that Rather knew the documents were false when he ran with the story. I do remember reading how the network had tried to verify the documents to the extent it could. Editors do make mistakes.

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

So do you feel the same about the NAACP? Should they also have held off with their racism resolution against the tea party? They offered no proof of any of it, and disregarded the fact that the tea party has renounced any kind of racism when , and if it occurred.

The problem here is….so many want their cake, and to eat it. It doesn’t work that way. Double standards….suck!

capejasmine on July 21, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Tav on July 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Not only that, Breitbart keeps putting up more of the video.

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 2:07 PM

This is what you’re contributing to. Is that what you want?

alwaysfiredup on July 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

What I want is facts as accurately as possible given the cirumstances. Or are you in favor of coverups?

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Oh, I forgot. Harry Reid still has his job. How about Trent Lott, though?

You’re just dumb. Sorry.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM

You can stop lecturing people about high school debate classes, pal.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM

That is not what the statement you responded to said. You are losing what focus you might once have had.

Tav on July 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM

You’re just dumb. Sorry.

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM
You can stop lecturing people about high school debate classes, pal.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM

You wouldn’t by chance be a lawyer or a teacher, would you, Madison?

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Per Mary Francis Berry at Politico …

alwaysfiredup on July 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Why, that appears to be former DC mayor Marion Berry’s ex-wife. Back in the old days, she was a community organizer community rabble rouser in DC. She writes for Politico now? Good gawd almighty, I didn’t know she knew how to write.

petefrt on July 21, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Breitbart should have a “Little Shop Of Horrors” section on his website just for Trolls..Feed Me Seymour, Feed Me.

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 2:11 PM

You wouldn’t by chance be a lawyer or a teacher, would you, Madison?

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM

A teacher? No, I’ve no interest in battling the NEA with my livelihood. As for a lawyer…not yet. People keep suggesting it. Did well in my business law classes, but as a career…ugh. Besides, if I ever run for office, I want the distinction of not being a lawyer.

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

lol … you need a job as a progressive propagandist. You’re good at it.

darwin on July 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Have you ever noticed that the Tea Party gets zero praise for running off people with their own agenda and the Left takes zero heat for plants? The story of spitting and racial slurs in D.C. are still accepted fact with zero proof because the media chooses to believe it. The Left should stop trying to make the Right shut up.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Only white democrats expressing “straight-up” bigotry keep their jobs.

See: history of the democrat party.

darwin on July 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Jimbo3 on July 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

He had the Video since APRIL. You don’t think he watched it in it’s entirety? Before he started posting it? You don’t think it didn’t have the desired effect he wanted it to have?

Back in this thread someone stated Breitbart went fishing for minnows and caught a whale.

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Those in the media have the mentality of a lynch mob.

Tav on July 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Here’s the next story the Journolistas can ignore: police investigating two more Al Gore women: Al Gore Sex Scandal Shocker; Police Investigate Two More

slickwillie2001 on July 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Should Sherrod get her job back ? Her entire tenure at the USDA has to be investigated first, with special emphasis on that Pigford business. That travesty cost 1 billion dollars and encourages another suit
for…20.5 billion dollars, which was duly dismissed, as Pigford should have.

runner on July 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM