Should Shirley Sherrod get her job back?

posted at 11:30 am on July 21, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It certainly looks as though the White House is having second thoughts about pushing Shirley Sherrod out of the USDA after Andrew Breitbart’s video clip of her speech at an NAACP banquet last year.  Multiple media outlets are reporting that Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack is “reconsidering” her resignation after the full video showed a different context for her remarks:

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Wednesday that he will reconsider the abrupt firing of Shirley Sherrod, a Georgia-based Agriculture Department official who was the victim of a media frenzy over comments that turned out to have been distorted by video editing.

“I am of course willing and will conduct a thorough review and consider additional facts to ensure to the American people we are providing services in a fair and equitable manner,” Vilsack said in a statement e-mailed by USDA at 2:07 a.m.

A White House official said: “Not sure what the ultimate result will be, but it’s clear that with new information through the full speech, a longer look needed to be taken. The White House contacted the Department last night about the case and agreed, based on new evidence, that it should be reviewed.”

Not that Sherrod is anxious to return:

The woman at the center of a racially tinged firestorm involving the Obama administration and the NAACP said Wednesday she doesn’t know if she’d return to her job at the Agriculture Department, even if asked.

“I am just not sure how I would be treated there,” Shirley Sherrod said in a nationally broadcast interview. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Wednesday he would reconsider the department’s decision to oust Sherrod over her comments that she didn’t give a white farmer as much help as she could have 24 years ago.

She said later in a broadcast interview that she might consider returning if she had the chance, saying she’s received encouraging calls, including one from the NAACP.

Sherrod increasingly looks like the person caught in the middle as everyone, well, acted stupidly.  The NAACP started this rockfight by loudly proclaiming its intent to declare the Tea Party movement racist on the basis of fringe elements that have been repeatedly and loudly repudiated by Tea Party activists.  They eventually retreated somewhat from that position, but set into motion the natural rebuttals that flow from such inflammatory accusations.

Andrew Breitbart then posted the entirety of two clips he had acquired from Sherrod’s speech, not so much to note Sherrod’s claims of having initially discriminated against a farmer on the basis of his race, but to point to the positive reaction this generated at the NAACP dinner at which she appeared.  Breitbart told me on the Hugh Hewitt show that he had posted everything he had and wanted to get the entire speech video, but wasn’t sure it existed.  Even Ben Jealous, president of the NAACP, acknowledged Breitbart’s argument as reasonable in his initial statement:

We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers.

Her actions were shameful. While she went on to explain in the story that she ultimately realized her mistake, as well as the common predicament of working people of all races, she gave no indication she had attempted to right the wrong she had done to this man.

The reaction from many in the audience is disturbing. We will be looking into the behavior of NAACP representatives at this local event and take any appropriate action.

Interestingly, the audience apparently included Jealous himself, who later claimed to have been “snookered” by Breitbart.  Sherrod acknowledges the presence of “the president” in the beginning of the speech.  It seems that Jealous, in his haste to distance himself from a situation his organization created in the first place, either didn’t recall the speech or didn’t bother to check for himself whether the NAACP had the full speech in its archives.  That pressure to act quickly wouldn’t have existed, either, had the NAACP refrained from attacking the Tea Party’s motivations rather than its arguments.

The White House, in its haste to get out of a rapidly-expanding rockfight over racism, did the politically expedient thing: it demanded Sherrod’s resignation.  Conservatives looking to play hardball with the NAACP leapt into the fight and made Sherrod the target — and I include myself in that group — without waiting for further context (with some notable exceptions, including my coblogger).  As it turns out, the context shows that Sherrod got treated unfairly by just about everyone involved, as her anecdote actually did have a message of redemption from focus on racial identity … ironically enough.

I owe Shirley Sherrod an apology, and I do apologize for leaping to my conclusion from the edited clip.  I believe that Sherrod should at least be offered her job back, and not because I support her politics (I don’t) or think she should have been appointed to the position in the first place (that’s the prerogative of the White House).  She lost her job because of a controversy in which she had no role to begin with and didn’t participate in, and regardless of any other considerations, that’s just not right.

What do you think?  Take the poll:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 7

Funny how she’s calling the ENTIRE GOP and Tea Party racists with no context or proof in that video, just like the NAACP did, and nobody seems to notice or care about this.

Good Lt on July 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM

There’s more to this than meets the eye. The only one that will probably get to the truth is Glenn Beck and his research staff.

darwin on July 21, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Glenn Beck is defending her, or at least he was yesterday, on the grounds that he’d hate for someone to dig up tapes of his AA sessions or something.

Cylor on July 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM

PhilipJames on July 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM

It also has the same bit missing at the 21 minute mark.

notropis on July 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I suspect there’s some underhandedness going on at the USDA that the administration doesn’t want exposed. Too late … it was the almost immediate firing of Sherrod that raised suspicions.

darwin on July 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Top of the hour news—just before Rush,Shirley Sherrod
commenting,how she hasn’t got any help from the top,and
it sounds like,she knows,she’s under da bus!!!

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Of course she shouldn’t get rehired.
The woman is a first-class bigot.
‘Racism’ is color-blind.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM

And a first-class class-ist.

MeatHeadinCA on July 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I’d say yes, along with an apology.

That’s weak, Ed.

This is why conservatives always loses.

Norwegian on July 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

If a teacher admitted 24 years ago that she didn’t help a student as much as she should have because the child had a different skin color, should she keep her job?

Oh wait, she would. Don’t you love the NEA?

MadisonConservative on July 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

We should definitely apologize to Shirley for electing Obama … under any other administration she wouldn’t have been chucked under the bus so quick. On the bright side, at least she got to be next to Obama’s grandmother and “pastor”

MeatHeadinCA on July 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Cylor on July 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM

He didn’t defend her. He said she shouldn’t have been fired without seeing the entirety of her speech. Context. If there’s dirt and corruption he’ll find it.

darwin on July 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Roomful of Advanced and Associated Colored Peoples’ documented response, as was the point of the video in context of their complaints, is now lost in the discussion.

Is the “Mission Accomplished” banner ready yet, Rahm?

rogerb on July 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

dugan on July 21, 2010 at 12:00 PM

We’ll probably never know.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Y’all don’t worry about Shirley. 0bama will appoint her to be one of his Czars or something. She would fit right in with the others.

LegendHasIt on July 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Good Lt on July 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM

That was Breitbart’s point.

Breitbart Goes Fishing for Minnows and Brilliantly Bags the Big Fish!

“Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on July 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM

It’s the height of hilarity that the NAACP claims they got snookered by a tape of their own event!

RedRedRice on July 21, 2010 at 11:34 AM

They have hit ludicrous speed!

Johnnyreb on July 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Good Lt on July 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Well, I suppose she doesn’t know that the GOP has in it’s ranks many minorities. She’s assuming the GOP stands for “whitey” … which of course is racist.

darwin on July 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Cop speaks at Cop’s banquet: “Yeah, here I am a white cop and I get this call from a black man needing help during a burglary and well, I’m sitting in my car and thinking about all the white people who are probably having their homes broken into right now, sooooo…. I sorta didn’t respond as fast to this black man as I could have. I called this other black cop I knew and asked if he’d drive by and check it out. But, that was yesterday. I’m different now cause I realize it’s not about black and white, er, it is about black and white, but it’s also about the rich and the poor.”

Fireman speaks at fireman’s dinner: “Yeah, I’m a white fireman and we get this call from a black family that their house is on fire. Well, I’m sitting her thinking to myself as they are acting all superior to me on the phone, I’m sitting here thinking about how much help I’m really going to give them (applause and laughter from the fireman audience) and well, I’m also thinking about all the other white families who have lost their homes to fire and,.. soooooo…. I didn’t really give them all the help I could have. I did something, but not everything I could have because they were black. I called up these other black firemen I knew and asked if they were busy. Wanted to get them help form their own kind. But hey, I’m different now cause I realize it’s not about black and white, er, it is about black and white but it’s also about the rich and the poor.”

JellyToast on July 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

If a white federal worker admitted to what Shirley Sherrod engaged in they’d be out on their keister. No one (and especially not the NAACP) would care about context nor would they care if that particular worker had an “epiphany” later in life.

Mike Honcho on July 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Missed that. Awful smooth transition for a tape change (and “midway point” is not proof of a tape change either). Still curious what the crowd was laughing about though.

dugan on July 21, 2010

That’s what I am wondering if there was interaction from the audience at the 21:00 minute mark…..I mean she was acting like she was in church, and testifying, I could see somebody shout out Witness Sister LOL!

What else got shouted out?

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM

she is not a racist racist.

seven on July 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM

These are facts that can’t be denied:
1. A recently fired USDA employee informed the NAACP that she withheld help to a white farmer because of his race. I didn’t say she denied help, which the NAACAP/MSM is trying to spin, but withheld help.

2. Whilst trying to say that this was an issue of those that have, and those that have not, she RESTATED again that this was about race.

3. She was not exactly showing remorse when she stated that she didn’t give him the full force of what she could do.

4. She stated that she only helped him because he was sent by the US Ag. Dept., and that he would report to them if he received help.

5. She stated that when she decided to give him limited help, due to his race, she figured she would take him to a lawyer of his “own kind.”

Now, regardless of when this happened, should money be taken out of my wallet to pay this woman’s salary? May she have all the luck in the world with her private endeavors, but she shouldn’t be in a position of power, taking my hard earned money for her salary.

mcg0125 on July 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

And everybody just keeps on flapping about the peripheral / surface issues.

Shirley Sherrod is a racist race-pimping CROOK. Her and her husband’s ‘New Communities’ / Pigford scam has LOOTED $1B of our tax dollars, and you all are sitting here whinging about her feelings. Utterly missing what ACTUALLY is happening.

rayra on July 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Rush is on this now!!

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I’d say yes, along with an apology.

Hot Air is hopeless. Welcome to 8 years of Obama.

faraway on July 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

She probably is owed an apology…just like ALL conservatives who get smeared like this DAILY due to the leftist media using edited videos or twisting things said to make them look bad.

I think a lot more leftists will have to get this treatment before we can get any semblance of decent treatment from the leftists.

Sorry, Shirley. You were a needed sacrificial lamb.

Sporty1946 on July 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Ed…

I listened to the entire tape this morning and, while she expressed a philosophical change toward (poor) whites, it does not excuse her admission that she showed racial preference and didn’t do all that she could initially. That’s racially motivated delinquency from a government employee. I actually think the administration did the right thing (albeit for political reasons) in firing her.

Bottom line? Perhaps she has a compelling “story” but she showed bias and deserves no place in government.

Bee on July 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

If we are all truly equal, then she should be fired. She has a history of race baited incidents. If she is reinstated it is reverse discrimination. The last thing the government needs are more people with chips on their shoulders based on the color of their skin and a hatred for other races making decisions.

Hening on July 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM

She deserves it back if she wants it. Not sure I’d want it back, after the way it was grossly mishandled. Then again,I’m not in her shoes either.

Either way, someone from the White House should PUBLICALLY kiss her rearend after giving her a week to publicize it and draw a crowd.

listens2glenn on July 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM

These are facts that can’t be denied:
1. …

mcg0125 on July 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

All of that is true and all of it is the merest skin of evil, the tip of the iceberg, the DISTRACTION, the surface-appreciation that leftist bloggers hope everyone will stay focused upon ignoring the far larger crime that is happening in the background.

Now we’ll see a string of sadassed politicians stumbling over themselves with the very same weak misapprehensions, stumbling over each other in their PC haste to be ‘unracist’ by apologizing TO A THIEF.

rayra on July 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Maybe her past had something to do with the quickness of her termination as well as the gubmit and the NAACP covering their….selves?

New Communities, Inc. was the land trust that Shirley and Charles Sherrod established, with other black farm families in the 1960′s. At the time, with holdings of almost 6,000 acres, this was the largest tract of black-owned land in the country.

In 1985, Shirley entered the Rural Development Leadership Network program. She got a master’s degree, helped orient all succeeding groups of RDLN Leaders, and became vice chair of RDLN’s Board of Directors. She also chaired the board of the Farmers Legal Action Group. New Communities received approximately $13 million ($8,247,560 for loss of land and $4,241,602 for loss of income; plus $150,000 each to Shirley and Charles for pain and suffering). There was also an unspecified amount in forgiveness of debt. This was the largest award in the minority farmers law suit (Pigford vs Vilsack).

kingsjester on July 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

This episode of Obama malfeasance will fund the retirement of quite a few lawyers.

meci on July 21, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Lawyers love Obama. Now they’ll love him even more.

Daggett on July 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Bee on July 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Bee: What I don’t get,is that through out Shirleys speech,
it was WHITE and BLACK non-stop!!:)

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

dugan on July 21, 2010 at 12:00 PM

We’ll probably never know.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Maybe, the chances of most the people in the audience having a phone on them with video recording capability is pretty high. Shirley herself talked about being on the phone, and being told to pull over, when she was being interviewed on CNN. I don’t imagine she just got a digital phone. Potentially there could be more recordings from that event and other NAACP events.

Remember:The NAACP adopted a resolution Tuesday condemning “racist elements” in … But Tea Party members have challenged claims that their activists are racist….. Fox News July 14th

Someone is being taught an object lesson here about Glass Houses. I don’t know if the NAACP are fast learners. According to Jealous he got Snookered, okay what did he learn – people in Glass Houses shouldn’t throw stones, because stones will get chucked in both directions.

Jealous doesn’t come out looking good, neither does the Administration, if anything it makes them look like amateurs….Are they going to stop disparaging Tea Party Folks?

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

It bothers me that this was the best Breitbart could do (even with the truncated clips), if his goal was to point out the racist reactions in the NAACP audience.

notropis on July 21, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Breitbart fail.

The problem we have to watch out for now is this gives Obama a great opportunity to give a major “healing” speech on race that the MSM will call the greatest thing since, well, his last “healing” speech on race.

That vapid, empty speech worked out for him pretty well after all the MSM hype. If he didn’t again he could wrap himself in the mantle of the great healer, even though he has been a very divisive president.

JohnInCA on July 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Ed, stop being such a puss.

My country is on life support, and you want conservatives to once again be above all this. War is war. Grow a pair.

THE CHOSEN ONE on July 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM

The missing bit at 21 minutes is where it was claimed that the original take was changed. The tape in the camera was full and a new tape was inserted. Seems reasonable.

crosspatch on July 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Bee on July 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I think that pretty well sums up the “no” vote opinion here today Bee. Well said. I’m not sure it’s going to help us Conservatives from being excoriated over the “revelation” that allows some to minimalize her actions because it was so long ago. The biggest voice will win this one and it doesn’t help that the Conservative voice is back peddling. Back peddling over nothing in my opinion.

hawkdriver on July 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM

What she did was reprehensible! if the shoe was on the other foot, there would be ZERO chance of the person getting their job back. She admitted that she did not want to help someone simply because of the color of their skin. Clear violation of EEOC. It would be if a mosque caught fire and a Christian fireman was not sure if he would help put the fire out since because it was for muslims

ConservativePartyNow on July 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on July 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM

The Sherrod story has no influence on the survival of the US.

blatantblue on July 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

ignoring the far larger crime that is happening in the background.
rayra on July 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I’m with you on this.

mcg0125 on July 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Poor Ed is a RedCoat. Remember when the RedCoats were so proud that they walked side by side onto the battle field only to be slaughtered by their opponents in the woods. How did that turn out for them?

faraway on July 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I don’t really care about this story, but I am glad for Shirley that somewhere inside she found the truth and the strength to overcome her anti-white racism, if that’s what we are to believe.

Now, for the rest of the NAACP racists who seemed to relate so well to her racism…

Jaibones on July 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I don’t quite get the “snookered” excuse when they had the original tape and she acknowledges him being in the audience. But I do agree that their screams of racism backfired this time. But I have every faith that they will be back with more.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I wonder whom Obama will accuse of “acting stupidly”?

50sGuy on July 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Ed won’t post on this, but it looks like Al has been a very busy guy:

AL GORE SEX SCANDAL SHOCKER POLICE INVESTIGATE TWO MORE

Yuck!!!!

Cody1991 on July 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Poor Ed is a RedCoat.

Nice character assassination.

blatantblue on July 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I wonder if the MSM would ever take Ed “Out of Context”, hmmm?????

THE CHOSEN ONE on July 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

The NAACP should be held accountable for firing this poor lady based on the B.S. racism charge they leveled against her.

Guardian on July 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Cody1991 on July 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

…National Enquirer. ‘Nuff said!

blatantblue on July 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

crosspatch on July 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM

The Bottom line is Jealous and the NAACP have no idea what is out there….and if Breitbart has access to what’s out there. The message is bash Tea Party People with the Race Card be prepared for some blow back.

The knee jerk reaction by the NAACP was out of FEAR. They know what happened to ACORN. Apparently they aren’t any good at covering their flanks either.

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Bee: What I don’t get,is that through out Shirleys speech,
it was WHITE and BLACK non-stop!!:)

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I agree, although that’s to be expected from such a gathering. What you don’t expect is a public admission from a government employee of withholding full funding because of someone’s race, no matter how vile that person is. I think people are missing the point in their equally quick rush to exonerate her: SHE ADMITTED IT. Whether it was decades ago or now, it happened. People are listening to a (Marxist) story of racial redemption and assuming she’s changed. Perhaps she has, but that does not excuse her. We should actually applaud this (idiot) (bumbling) administration for moving so quickly on even a hint of racial preference, even if it is pure expedience.

Bee on July 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Hot Air is hopeless. Welcome to 8 years of Obama.

faraway on July 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Do you believe Ed and Allah sway opinion of their readers to any real degree? Most who comment here are already conservatives fully capable of analyzing these matters for ourselves. I suspect they would have more impact if they were not fearful of hard-hitting commentary.

flyfisher on July 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Will the tea party get an apology???

capejasmine on July 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

The White House should be ashamed of itself for acting “stupidly” in harassing this nice lady into resigning.

Guardian on July 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Rush is on this now!!

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

And, as usual, Rush brilliantly exposed the collusion of the Leftist “media” over the past 24 hours on this story.

One word all of them used was…

CONTEXT

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

…National Enquirer. ‘Nuff said!

blatantblue on July 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

They were the only people who unearthed John Edward’s escapades, and they were right.

They’re good at some things, and there’s a reason why the Gores are divorcing.

Cody1991 on July 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Kingsjester,

Hey, Neighbor! I’m not surprised you understood what I was saying. I just bookmarked your blog so I can read your piece on Sherrod later on.

flyfisher on July 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Jealous was “Scared” and the only reason for him to be Scared is because he knows something damnning exists.

Breitbart has offered money before, the NAACP must know someone wouldn’t mind making a fast buck ;)

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I could care less whether this woman gets her job back or not.
It was about the NAACP but there is also a USDA story there that appears to have gone by the wayside.

ORconservative on July 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Sherrod is clearly a racist. There is another tape that shows her talking about a black family farm being sold – “They’ve already got a white man lined up to buy it.”

Screw “context,” this woman is a racist, and she was in charge of something like $100-billion at the USDA!

Karmi on July 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Always leave them guessing. I like the strategy. After all, look how much mileage do they continue to get over the incident in Washington that there is no record of but is still considered true.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM

blatantblue is full of it as well. It absolutely DOES have a bearing on the fate of this nation, in that it is emblematic of our government bureaucracies, media and punditsphere which are STUFFED with politically-correct milquetoasts, woefully incurious, willing to be reflexively shifted in their opinions by FALSE claims, all while acceding to the LOOTING of our taxpayer coffers.
The Sherrod THEFT SCAM being deliberately obscured by false charges of racism and reflexive appeasement of racist race-baiting hustlers demonstrates it.

And all while Allahpundit exercises his own sick snark in deliberately misusing Beck’s remarks OUT of context, to make a false argument.

rayra on July 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

kingsjester on July 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Bingo. That’s where the big action is in this story. Glenn doesn’t seem to have picked up on it yet, and Rush is just getting into it. I sent the links below to Glenn, and you might want to do the same.

RE: Why the WH overreacted in Sherrod affair
1. Forty Acres & a Mule — Sherrod Style? http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/07/forty_acres_a_mule_sherrod_sty.html
in today’s American Thinker is a must-read before your FNC show tonight.

It’s based on an article yesterday in the Examiner,
Shirley Sherrod’s Disappearing Act: Not So Fast – http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/Examiner-Opinion-Zone/Shirley-Sherrods-Disappearing-Act-Not-So-Fast-98846149.html
The gist of it is that Breitbart went fishing for minnows and ended up catching a whale.

2. The problem with any theory that the WH set out to discredit Fox is that Sherrod’s resignation happened before FNC ever published the story.

petefrt on July 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

SHE ADMITTED IT.

Bee on July 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Bee: Given the current political climate that Team Obama
has fostered on race relations,Shirley,might of thou
ght she was safe.

And,when she made the point,that she could of done
more,why the pause,for the audience reaction!!:)

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Their declaration justifies Breitbart’s race-baiting and journalistic malpractice? Really, Ed? Is that the official Hot Air position?

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Look at the other terrible things she said right on the front page of Breitbart.tv.

“She then explains to the NAACP audience that Republicans are against President Obama because he is black. The crowd voices their agreement. ”

“She then disdainfully says “and guess what? They’ve already got a white man lined up to buy it.””

JKahn913 on July 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

faraway on July 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM

That might be a little over the top.

hawkdriver on July 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Ed won’t post on this, but it looks like Al has been a very busy guy:

AL GORE SEX SCANDAL SHOCKER POLICE INVESTIGATE TWO MORE

Yuck!!!!

Cody1991 on July 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

This is another smear job!! /Ed

Norwegian on July 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM

flyfisher on July 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

It isn’t their sway (or lack thereof), it’s that they are willingly promulgating liberal madness and deliberately engaging in milquetoast-controversy to stir the pot. It is the worst of big-blog shenanigans, done to do little more than crank the money handle.

rayra on July 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Ed,

Please listen to her story about helping a black woman save her farm from 2 cousins from the north. Starts around 33:16.
And then tell me she is over her racism. – they were able to save all of it except 62 acres with a creek that went to a white man.

And then listen to her comments at 42:43 about her dedication to south Georgia. She can’t say that in north Georgia, but they don’t seem to have a problem getting money. Then tell me that North Georgia rural residents are getting a fair deal with her or her office.

journeyintothewhirlwind on July 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Could you please expound on the reaction of the audience to Rev. Wright. Kind of sick of your one way street.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Glad you mentioned that. Yes, Jealous clearly sounds scared in that apology of his. He was bending over so far backwards that he almost disappeared up his own butt.

petefrt on July 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Ooooo… Rush just said a good one! If the NAACP can be so easily wrong about Sherrod couldn’t they also be wrong about the Tea Party?

JellyToast on July 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM

If you were a white farmer would you feel comfortable going to her department and asking for help after this video?

Sure, she says that she realized it isn’t about black and white….oh wait…well, it IS about black and white but it’s also about rich and poor.

So, does that mean if I’m poor enough she’ll actually help me because I’m one of her own kind? Wait though, she pointed out that there are good paying jobs at the USDA which means she probably isn’t that poor.

So, she’s rich and black and you’re poor and white. She says that it IS about black and white but it also IS about rich and poor.

Seems like you wouldn’t be able to count on her to do everything she could to help you out.

I don’t see how the full video changes the reality that she thinks it’s o.k. to vary her performance based on her own perceptions of the person seeking help (whether rich or poor or black or white or whatever other dichotomies she’s generated for herself).

JadeNYU on July 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM

But I have every faith that they will be back with more.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM

agree, with the msm in tow helping them out…

cmsinaz on July 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I hope when Salem yanks Ed’s health care in a few years so they can stay competitive, he still feels apologetic.

THE CHOSEN ONE on July 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

The Race Card on July 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Did you condemn the race-baiting and journalistic malpractice that took place when Limbaugh was considering investing in the St. Louis Rams?

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

This is another smear job!! /Ed

Norwegian on July 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Yeah. How dare we discuss that paragon of virtue, Al Bore?

Never mind that he’s a fat fraud and a philanderer.

Cody1991 on July 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM

You shouldn’t get her job back. Anyone who jumps to conclusions about Tea Party participants will also continue to jump to conclusions about others; irrespective of how redemptive they sound.

Sailfish on July 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM

rayra on July 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Oh I’m just so full of it. Take a breath.

blatantblue on July 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM

flyfisher on July 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Thanks, brother.

petefrt on July 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

She won a $13,000,000 plus lawsuit against the gubmit and then they gave her a job on the payroll. Bonanza!

kingsjester on July 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

This woman is clearly a racist and so was her audience who were thrilled when she told them about her discriminating against a white farmer.

You have so-called conservatives saying she should be put back into her government job so she can scam the system for more bags of cash.

So a racist, a thief and a Marxist should get her government job back representing the people?

Obama is just going to shout racist in the next election and these same so-called conservatives will perform their reflex grovel and hand the him the keys to the White House.

sharrukin on July 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

It’s unbelievable to me that you are still defending Breitbart. David Frum put it best when he said this is the same as when Rather reported that forged memo, except Rather had to apologize and resign because his news organization takes good journalism seriously.

Breitbart, on the other hand, will not be resigning from anything and seems to shows no signs of apologizing any time soon. And right-wingers like Ed will continue to support him.

Tom_Shipley on July 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM

The reason I think the way I do, Breitbart said on Hannity last night, he had the video in question in his possession since April…and I am sure he watched the whole thing…and he knew what he was doing when he posted it. Breitbart isn’t a novice to the internet.

Someone took the bait, and got hooked, line, and sinker ;)

We will see if this really is a teachable moment LOL!

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Sherrod is a piece of work – that’s for sure, and I don’t trust her any farther than I could throw her. But the question is should she get her job back. The WH dropped her in the grease with amazing speed – a lot faster than Van Jones.

Would any of you want to go back to work for a grease-dropper like Obama, even if he said “Sorry, I acted stupidly…”?

av8tr on July 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

She should stay out of any public office forever. If she were a white person discriminating this would be a foregone conclusion.

clnurnberg on July 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Tom_Shipley on July 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Want a Kleenex?

kingsjester on July 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Taking a cue from Rush,on context,revist Rev.Wright!!
=====================================================

Sherri Shepherd: Reverend Wright’s Words ‘Taken Out of Context’
———-

Obama’s Church Says Pastor’s Comments Taken Out of Context
———-

FORMER OBAMA PASTOR | Says his remarks have been taken out of context
————–

Wright Decries ‘Out of Context’ Criticisms of Sermon
————–

Obama’s ex-pastor: Comments taken out of context

and on and on…………………………

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Tom_Shipley on July 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

You don’t think Mr. Brietbart will suffer from this episode? Grow up.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Yep, and not worth sticking around to watch the thread get jacked or read the double-standard spin.

hawkdriver on July 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

petefrt on July 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Jealous is punching out of his weight class. I don’t know if Breitbart can learn him :)

Dr Evil on July 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Frum must post here under the name of Tom_Shipley.

Cody1991 on July 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Tom_Shipley on July 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Cody called it.

Go back to your own pathetic website Frum, and stop trolling ours.

Norwegian on July 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Good Lt on July 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM

This…

Context is everything, and apparently irony is perpetually lost.

liquidflorian on July 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Not in the eyes of the right wing, and that’s all that really matters for Breitbart. That’s his audience. As long as they support him, he’s in business.

And look at the reaction to this case on the right-wing blogosphere and the lack of criticism of Breitbart is almost shocking. There’s criticism of Obama, the NAACP, and even Sharrod still (very little, to be fair). But almost none criticizing Breitbart.

Tom_Shipley on July 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM
============================

hawkdriver on July 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

hawkdriver: I bet,Leftys are orgasmic,at the thought of
taking down Breibart!!:)

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

hawkdriver on July 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

TRC is nothing if not predictable.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

canopfor on July 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM

right on right on right on…

cmsinaz on July 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

crosspatch on July 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM

One thing to notice, at the very beginning of the video there is a “play” bar at the top of the screen for a moment. There is no “play” bar anywhere around the edit at the 21:00 minute mark.

It’s clear that something was edited out. It’s also obvious that the crowd was laughing at something that was edited out.

Frankly, considering the magnitude of this news story, I think it is reasonable to inquire as to what is missing here.

dugan on July 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Breitbart is the new Tom Delay. Go get em’ Hammer!!!

THE CHOSEN ONE on July 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM