Director of new “Captain America” movie: “He’s not a flag-waver”

posted at 5:56 pm on July 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

Of course he isn’t. Flag-waving is the province of reactionary simpletons, not a Hollywood hero … whose own costume incorporates the elements of the American flag.

They did something like this in “G.I. Joe” too. Oh well. Anything to help the overseas box office!

“We’re sort of putting a slightly different spin on Steve Rogers,” said Joe Johnston, whose past directing credits include “Jurassic Park III” and “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.” He’s a guy that wants to serve his country but he’s not a flag-waver. We’re re-interpretating, sort of, what the comic book version of Steve Rogers was.”…

“He wants to serve his country, but he’s not this sort of jingoistic American flag-waver,” Johnston said. “He’s just a good person. We make a point of that in the script: Don’t change who you are once you go from Steve Rogers to this super-soldier, you have to stay who you are inside, that’s really what’s important more than your strength and everything. It’ll be interesting and fun to put a different spin on the character and one that the fans are really going to appreciate.”

The movie’s set during World War II, so obviously we don’t want any jingoistic demonizing of the enemy happening. Question: If you want to make a superhero movie but you don’t want to be troubled with the hair-raising spectacle of out-and-proud patriotism, why the hell would you choose Captain America? Choose Aquaman instead and have him deliver the requisite lecture about fearing “The Other.” Granted, CA’s a symbolic character whom lefties would like to appropriate, but they’ve already been there and done that. Remember when Marvel was waging its anti-Bush crusade and had ol’ Cap martyred by a sniper’s bullet for championing civil liberties? Or how about earlier this year when they had him take on the greatest threat of our time, Al Qaeda Red China the tea-party movement? If Johnston’s hot to do some radical reinterpretation of Captain America, making him the flag-waving Nazi-smiter he started off as is about as radical at this point as you can get.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I remember how mad I got in 2006 when in the Superman movie they changed “Truth, justice, and the American way.” to “Truth, justice and all that stuff.”

free on July 21, 2010 at 7:26 PM

They did the same thing for the last Superman movie.

Chubbs65 on July 21, 2010 at 7:26 PM

They’re ALREADY talking about rebooting that franchise because that movie sucked so bad.

Now Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Batman Begins all stuck to the core of the character. All of these were also very successful. I wonder if there is a pattern forming…

Ampersand on July 21, 2010 at 7:30 PM

They may as well have Captain America marry Aquaman in this movie.

faraway on July 21, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Thundercats GO!!!!!!!!

JKotthoff on July 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I guess Ace of Spades’ troll, palin_steele, got himself a director’s gig. I wonder if the new Captain America has an inflatable woman scene or two in the new opus?

andycanuck on July 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Kaptain Kumbaya?

JAM on July 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Captain Pantywaist!

JAM on July 21, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Thundercats GO!!!!!!!!

JKotthoff on July 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Hollywood will make sure they aren’t too feline or alien.

Ampersand on July 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM

They did the same thing for the last Superman movie.

Chubbs65 on July 21, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Ampersand on July 21, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Ouch. I didn’t think it was that terrible. On the other hand, I’ll never forgive Bryan Singer for abandoning the third X-Men movie. Now THERE’S a film that could stand to be rebooted.

I’m sorry, what were we doing? Oh yes, I was drawing Cap’n America shoving a flag up this pretentious Hollywood douchebag’s arse…..

Animator Girl on July 21, 2010 at 7:42 PM

TEAM AMERICA 2: REVENGE ON THE POLITICALLY CORRECT

hey I can dream

mattttt damon

Kevin43 on July 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM

…It’ll be interesting and fun to put a different spin on the character and one that the fans are really going to appreciate.”

…hmmm…”reimagining”, eh….

Howse ’bout:

* Reshoot “Patton”, the first five minutes especially. Have Danny Glover march up before that big 48-star beauty, hung upside down this time, and bemoan the plight of black actors in Hollywood, people of color generally (especially Germans) and praise Hugo Chavez.

* Reshoot the entirety of “The Searchers”, casting Sean Penn as Ethan Edwards, and have him bellyache for two hours about the lack of affordable child care which necessitated his niece’s abduction and the treatment of the Native Americans generally.

* Recast and reshoot “Silence of the Lambs”, cast Janeanne Garofalo as Hannibal, and make the character a vegetarian…sort of screws up the story, but it’ll knock ‘em dead in San Francisco.

* Scrape up a ton of money and take an exciting story like, oh, the attack on Pearl Harbor…cast wannabe’s and has-beens…have it directed by a moron…and make it as boring as possible. Oh…done that already?

* Remake “Valley of Elah”, “Rendition”, “Lions for Lambs”, “The Valley of the Wolves”, and any movie showing Matt Damon as a GI…have George Clooney direct…and force people to go see ‘em….

* Remake “Reds”…cast Obama in the Warren Beatty role…have Michael Moore direct.

…then, gather ‘em all up, take ‘em to Sundance, and have a party!

Puritan1648 on July 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM

why don’t they make an Aquaman movie? Seriously, they wouldn’t even have to sneak a global warming message in that one.

Daemonocracy on July 21, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Didn’t I hear that they were going to remake Red Dawn without Communists? NEVER A DULL MOMENT, FOLKS.

Animator Girl on July 21, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Let’s just change his name to “Captain Canada.”

Evrviglnt on July 21, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Bingo! Sad to see you folks are having socialism rammed down your throats.

Actuaally, I was thinking why not call it “Captain Milktoast”

cableguy615 on July 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I think I can afford to skip this. Wouldn’t want to sully their nice movie by having a jingoistic flag-waver in the audience.

Jill1066 on July 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM

So then . . . they’re actually going to go with the ‘disillusioned’ commie-lib version of Captain America.

Good to know.

Hope it bombs . . . horribly.

It’ll serve’em right.

CPT. Charles on July 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Captain Libtard would probably work…

Change the red, white and blue to pink and green, something more sensitive…

Khun Joe on July 21, 2010 at 7:58 PM

yeah I hope this movie bombs big time and Marvel is hurt bad after their initial success with Ironman. They’ll probably just shrug it off as Captain America not being popular because America is not very popular, or something.

Daemonocracy on July 21, 2010 at 7:59 PM

The best part is……no matter how bad the script is, or how immanently terrible its going to be, nothing can stop them from wasting millions of dollars on producing this turd because the makers know they will get lefty cred and pats on the back from the liberal crowd, which is more important than making a dollar to these douche powered machines of douche…..

alecj on July 21, 2010 at 8:00 PM

1) If by “jingoism”, they mean that Cap won’t be spouting bumper sticker lines throughout the film, I’m fine with that. Face it – if ANY comic book-to-film character could come off as corny, Cap is ripe for the picking.

2) Steve Rogers is “just a good person”… I read that as Steve Rogers is “everyman”, he wants the best for his country. He’s not a politician. That’s my read.

3) Johnston also directed the under-appreciated 1989 “The Rocketeer”, which was set in the late, pre-WW2 ’30′s, and it involved an “everyman” who lucks into a rocket-pack and becomes a smasher of Nazi-symathizer-spy/ Hollywood-actor types. And trashes a Nazi Zeppelin in the process.

I think this bodes well for Johnston and the film itself. The guy has a handle on period era nostalgia. Ignore the politically-correct sound bites. Simmer down, folks. Over react much?

Oh – and the pics of “Thor” look VERY impresive, especially the newest one (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45844).

Noobs. Sheesh.

creatocon on July 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Animator Girl on July 21, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Well rejoice. Singer is coming back to make X-Men First Class. An X-Men movie about their creation. A prequel of sorts to his other X-Men movies.

Ampersand on July 21, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Daemonocracy on July 21, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Funny thing… I just read new comic yesterday that had Aqua Man going down to shut down an oil leak that had exploded just outside the Bermuda Triangle. Not only was he going to stop that well, he was going to shut them all down because oil had caused enough damage to his world!

I can’t blame DC or Geoff Johns (the writer) though. Aguaman is written like a douche because Aquaman is a douche.

Ampersand on July 21, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Captain Neutered.

CynicalOptimist on July 21, 2010 at 8:11 PM

…Of course Hollywood will screw up Captain America….

……to he!! with them…

……..crack open a beer and throw “True Grit” in…

…………..John Wayne kicks more a$$ than this guy does anyday.

Baxter Greene on July 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM

They could have always made a “Captain Britain” movie instead…

… oh, wait, that concept bombs every time, no matter how many times Marvel tries to re-launch it (Excalibur or as Captain Britain).

lansing quaker on July 21, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Ampersand on July 21, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Didn’t he get his ass kicked by Mermaid Man???

ScottG on July 21, 2010 at 8:30 PM

No, in Obama’s world he is Captain Affirmative-Action, who doesn’t really help those dirty white poor American farmer-types, who are all white, and bad, and stuff.

ray on July 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Ampersand on July 21, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Yeah, I was never a big Aquaman fan either. But ‘Justice League’ had Aquaman in a few episodes and that Aquaman was cool. Strong, a leader of his people and he hacked off his own arm to save himslf at one point.

Apparently, self-mutilation on his part was exactly what it took for me to like Aquaman.

Canadian Infidel on July 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I have been waiting for this movie and the Avengers movie most of my geeky comic reading life. So far I have not been disappointed with Iron Man (except I liked the first Rhody Actor better). The Thor movie will be a hard sell but should be do-able.

But Cap should only be done one way. And it ain’t the way Marvel is planning. Especially using the actor (Human Torch) that helped kill the Fantasic Four Movie franchise.

Just stick to what the people love about the character and leave the other crap out. You may be surprized at how well it will work.
Beside, if you think going for the global dollar is more important then you can forget this fan boy’s multiple viewing revenue.

mechkiller_k on July 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM

That’s totally Aquaman…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

birdhurd on July 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM

At least here’s Captain America vs. the United Nations climate change panel: Captain America vs. Cap and Trade

Mervis Winter on July 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM

“Green Zone” in a costume…

*yawn*

Hog Wild on July 21, 2010 at 8:40 PM

……..crack open a beer and throw “True Grit” in…

…………..John Wayne kicks more a$$ than this guy does anyday.

Baxter Greene on July 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM

The Coen brothers are remaking that with Jeff Bridges and Matt Damen. I got a bad feeling about it.

lowandslow on July 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM

creatocon on July 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM

This is Hollywood ok, people aren’t overreacting at all. It is perfectly logical to expect the worst.

Also, if he really meant everything you just said, why didn’t he just say it like that? He sounded like he was toning down the character of captain america, and using phrases like “flag waver” and “jingoism” suggests he is a bit embarassed by the character he is to bring to life on the screen. That is where the worry comes from.

I will agree that he is a good director, but whether he likes it or not, Captain America IS about American Exceptionalism.

Daemonocracy on July 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM

lowandslow on July 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM

GAH! Why the heck is that twat Matt Damon in everything I want to see! Oh hell.

Jeff Bridges is actually a great actor though and the Coen brothers are great film makers, so it could be good. I still think Michael Ironside would have fit better into John Wayne’s role.

Daemonocracy on July 21, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I was in the Kitzegin PX and there in the comic book section of the PX was a Soviet Colonel from the Soviet Military Liaison Mission reading a Captain America comic.

patch on July 21, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Off topic: I think I may have done a week TDY at Kitz covering someone on leave (can’t remember, I covered at a few different clinics)… I was assigned to 67th Evac in Wuerzburg.

Didn’t ever see a Soviet soldier. I think I still have my SMLM card somewhere around, though. :)

malclave on July 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM

They may as well have Captain America marry Aquaman in this movie.

faraway on July 21, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Next time include a spoiler alert!

jdkchem on July 21, 2010 at 8:51 PM

They may as well have Captain America marry Aquaman in this movie.

faraway on July 21, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Next time include a spoiler alert!

jdkchem on July 21, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Relax. It’s not like anyone talked bout the unrated deleted scenes between Cap and Bucky and their, umm, discussion about DADT.

Oops, hope I didn’t give too much away.

malclave on July 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if they have a scene where Captain America apologizes to Hitler and the Emperor of Japan for America’s actions against them… immediately after bowing to both…

DrDeano on July 21, 2010 at 9:26 PM

The new Captain America. Captain U.N.

The Notorious G.O.P on July 21, 2010 at 9:31 PM

lowandslow on July 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM

You have got to be kidding me.

All the metro-sexual guys in hollywood combined would not have the backbone or the balls to pull of playing John Wayne.

The only thing they could accomplish is making fools of themselves trying.

Baxter Greene on July 21, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Captain Contingency Operation?

I guess if the movie were to feature Caps arch enemy Red Skull, the use of the word ‘Red’ in his moniker would be too politically incorrect?

catmman on July 21, 2010 at 10:13 PM

malclave on July 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Hah, I was running counter narco ops in and out of El Sal from Soto Cano Airbase, Honduras in the early 80′s. We went to Cartagena on leave and bunked on one of our LSD’s that was there and a soviet naval vessel was also in port. It was a tense cold war time, were were frequently buzzed by soviet fighters no more than 75 feet off the deck.

We were under strict orders not to fraternize. So as young aggressive marines we performed a hasty recon and found a herd of Soviet marines and sailors in a watering hole and after a few tense moments we brokered our own whiskey and vodka fueled Glastnos. We discovered they were not supposed to mingle with us either, in any event we spent a hell of a night talking trash and trying to out drink each other.

They kept asking us why we wanted to take over the world, hah! WTF, right? It was reassuring to see pics of their loved ones and hoist a few frosties with fellow jarheads.

Alden Pyle on July 21, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Captain Cracka

/ in a non-racist kinda way

faraway on July 21, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Hmmm….

This guy also directed:

The Rocketeer (Nazis vs. small town american who finds Howard Hughes’ Rocketpack. the FBI is portrayed as inept, but Hughes, and “The American Way” come off very well.

Hmmm…

I dunno. I was pissed off by Marvel’s recent depictions of Captain America as an anti-american ass.

But then some of their alternate depictions of Cap have been well executed, depicting him as “a Boyscout of a soldier”

I’m forced to reserve judgement.

Jones Zemkophill on July 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM

You know what is really sad? These people that gave us the original characters simply cannot produce them as simple all American heroes any longer. They think that we the public have moved on and demand that the heroes be absorbed in our every day lives along with the mundane problems we face. They are too stupid to realize that we want escape these problems and want heroes that we can look up to as totally good or Christ like figures. The modern writer may not like the analogy but that’s the person that all super heroes personify. I think we should rename CA to Capt. Apology!!!!!

inspectorudy on July 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM

The next time I see Palestinians holding their flags, I will mutter under my breath….”Flag-wavers”

thebrokenrattle on July 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM

At least he will be eligible for that medal of restraint.

BDavis on July 21, 2010 at 11:10 PM

…hmmm…gotta get the hang of that “link” button….

Puritan1648 on July 21, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Then why not just call him “Captain Not A Flag Waver”?

Once again, the beautiful people of Hollywood are showing their disdain for this country, and taking it out on the movie-goers

ToddonCapeCod on July 21, 2010 at 11:52 PM

“I pay you well, what does it matter where I get my money from.”

It matters to me.

I may not be an honest businessman, but I’m 100% American.

Paul Sorvino’s character pulls his gun on Nazi Timothy Dalton, “Start talking.”

From the movie “The Rocketeer” directed by Joe Johnston-1991

You think if “The Rocketeer” was made today that those lines would be in the movie? I say a big NO.

RedRobin145 on July 21, 2010 at 11:57 PM

So disappointed.

juanito on July 22, 2010 at 12:16 AM

“He’s not a flag-waver”

Unless it’s green.

RedRobin145 on July 21, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Wow, you’ve got more patience than I do. It bored me silly.

Feedie on July 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM

RedRobin145 on July 21, 2010 at 11:57 PM
Wow, you’ve got more patience than I do. It bored me silly.

Watching Jennifer Connelly for two hours is neither boring or silly.

RedRobin145 on July 22, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Now I understand, heh.

Feedie on July 22, 2010 at 1:13 AM

When they did the most recent incarnation of a Superman movie, Superman Returns, the script for Perry White the editor of the Daily Planet had him state Superman’s motto as, “…truth, justice, and all that stuff”.

That was instead of “…truth, justice, and the American way” which was the original quote from the Superman comic days as well as the Superman movies of the recent past, and which had remained unchanged for 60 years.

The best the limousine liberal celebritard Hollyweird writers, director, and producers could do was “and all that stuff”.

The self-loathing patriotism hating of the American left knows no bounds.

Dhurka Dhurka on July 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Seriously? Those movies? Oh, well, I guess that Hollywood would rather destroy what could be a good franchise (Captain America) than have him actually be patriotic and good.

Ignore this tripe and go see “Inception” (by the same director as “The Dark Knight”. “Inception” is arguably the better movie. No joke; it’s amazing.

Theophile on July 22, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Captain America has been a deplorable rag, for years. Even Mark Steyn knows this, and commented that Captain America hasn’t been a symbol of America, since the end of WW2.

Time and again, Captain America has been an America-blamer, and I’m sick of it.

This has been an anti-American book for years, disguised by leftist bullcrap as being patriotism. Like the typical liberal, Captain America questions the presidency of President Bush, but wouldn’t think of saying such things about Obama, considering dissent and questioning in the face of the Obama Regime is not patriotism, but being a traitor. Hollywood is a bastion of America-hating, and now they’ve gotten their claws into this, turning making this character a hollow man that doesn’t have any particular love his country during WW2, when, to the contrary, during this time, he was at the height of patriotism.

Virus-X on July 22, 2010 at 3:17 AM

I hate Marvel.

Yeah, I know DC is also run by rabid leftists, but their writers are (sometimes) at least slightly smarter about it.

Or maybe the entire comic book industry in the US is just dead, period.

Cylor on July 22, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Somewhat OT- the last two films Mrs. Leprechaun and I went to see in the theater, were the animated version of “A Christmas Carol” and recently, “The Blind Side“. Prior to that, my daughter and I went to see “An American Carol” at the movies, 2008. That was the first time I’d been to a movie since “Apollo 13“.

Most films suck. Badly. Don’t support the garbage, support quality films (what few there are). What else can you do?

oldleprechaun on July 22, 2010 at 9:03 AM

The whole reason they are making a Captain America movie and Thor movie, and I think Ant man(or whoever that goofy superhero was) is to make an Avengers movie with Iron Man Captain America, Thor, The Hulk, and Ant Man.

jeffn21 on July 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM

[Aquaman] hacked off his own arm to save himslf at one point.

Haven’t we all been there after having one too many at the local pub? Sure, she looked good at closing time but sometimes it’s better to just leave the arm under her head rather than risk waking her.

slug on July 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

The guy is a WW2 era soldier. Of course they had their fears and doubts, but if they go in-your-face “I’m not waiving the US flag cause we’re wrong too” angle they are gonna lose people.

Keep in mind the comic was written by left-leaning to liberal types for decades, so any original concept of Cap from the 1940′s etc. has been whitewashed since then (“OMG! He CAN’T use a GUN! Even as a soldier! That’s not what a hero does!”) Same applies to Batman (although in his case, his distaste of firearms makes a little more sense).

You don’t make a Captain America film to please the French. You make it first and foremost for Americans. If you are afraid of losing a European market for a film, and that is oh so important, maybe you don’t make it.

Is it too much to guess that the movie plot will have Cap discover the USA (and maybe a Bush relative!) to be the real villain behind the Red Skull, and maybe he’ll become “Corporal U.N.” at the end and get himself some underage action? Ya know, to keep the international community happy.

Saltyron on July 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM

The self-loathing patriotism hating of the American left knows no bounds.

Dhurka Dhurka on July 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Let’s face it. Movies are basically exaggerations and lies to fool you into believing something for entertainment. Who better then the left to do that?

mechkiller_k on July 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM

The left never “appropriated” Captain America. He’s been progressive all along.

(skip past the Henry Kissinger section and read the parts about Captain America’s encounters with Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon)

Whenever Captain America has ventured into politics, it’s been on the left side of things. If you’re surprised about this, it’s because you weren’t paying attention. Probably you heard the word “America” and just assumed “conservative”.

orange on July 22, 2010 at 4:39 PM