Crist flip-flops on ObamaCare

posted at 11:36 am on July 20, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Well, why not?  Why go through all the trouble to reinvent oneself and stop only halfway to becoming a Democrat?  Four months ago, Charlie Crist wanted ObamaCare repealed, calling its impact “devastating“:

Crist says if Obamacare passes, it would be “devastating” for Florida. “I’m concerned about them trying to ram this through.”

Does his position on the bill differ from Marco Rubio, his GOP Senate primary opponent? No, he says. “I don’t think there are any differences.”

Though he did not attend the tea-party rallies on the Hill this morning, Crist says such efforts should be “celebrated.” And if the health-care bill passes, he says he will “certainly” work to repeal it, even at rallies.

Today?  Not so much:

Mr. Crist’s opponents note that he was open to considering offshore drilling as recently as 2009. Some worry that putting a drilling amendment on the November ballot, as Mr. Crist called for in convening this week’s session, would drive Crist voters to the polls. “To find the governor now changing his mind again—against it to for it, to against it again—is just comical,” said state Sen. Mike Haridopolos, the incoming state Senate president. “The running joke is that his policy manual is filled with bumper stickers, and for serious people it’s just untenable.”

Mr. Crist has made other policy shifts. Despite pledging as a Republican to help repeal President Obama’s health-care overhaul, Mr. Crist now says he does not support such a move. He has long called himself “pro-life,” doing so even in the interview last week. He is now quick to add that while he personally opposes abortion, he would not seek to overturn Roe v. Wade and supports abortion rights.

Political expediency?  Bah!  Charlie defies such calculations:

“So many of the elected politicians in Washington seem to be shackled by the fear of a primary,” Mr. Crist said in an interview last week in this seaside city, where he attended a briefing on the effects of the Gulf oil spill. As an independent, Mr. Crist said, he is free to speak his mind without worrying about the most ideological voters.

“It’s liberating,” Mr. Crist said. “It’s a lot of fun, and I’m convinced it’s what the people want.”

And you should trust him, because Charlie has such a great track record of standing for his beliefs, even when those beliefs may not be popular.  Right?   Er …

He came out last year in opposition to the Supreme Court nomination of Justice Sonia Sotomayor, but now says that he “probably” took that position because he felt pressure from the GOP primary. Asked if he felt differently now, he said: “Perhaps.”

“I want to do what is in my heart,” Mr. Crist said last week. “But other influences have some effect, to a degree.”

Uh-huh.

Comments

How are the polls in the FL race? I haven’t checked in a while. The Florida voters better do the right thing this time around.

ErinF on July 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM

He truly does fit in nicely with the Democrats, doesn’t he? I mean, same principles and level of integrity…

Fuzzlenutter on July 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I’m not shocked so much by this.

I’m more frightened about how many other “so-called” leaders are nothing more than this kind of shyster-ism where are rights and liberties are sold off in whatever way it takes for them to feed off the public trough.

If the Democrats had ANY sense, Crist would be dumped along with the rest of the garbage. But no, he’s a great man so long as he says what they want to hear… give him the keys to the kingdom.

I’m very frightened.

Skywise on July 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM

This clown doesn’t have a chance, really…..

DOES he???!!?????

golfmann on July 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Holy shiite, Crist’s pandering makes Specter look like a tyro.

If ever a slimy pol needed to be thrown out on his face, this would be the guy.

Bishop on July 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM

“I want to do what is in my heart,” Mr. Crist said

That doesn’t bode very well for a person with a blackened heart.
He may want to try a different tact.

Dhurka Dhurka on July 20, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Crist leads in most polls, but I attribute that to the doldrums of summer. Once the campaign kicks into high gear I expect Rubio to take the lead.

sandee on July 20, 2010 at 11:43 AM

No offense weasels but this guy’s a weasel.

ncborn on July 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM

It very liberating to come to terms that I am weak minded. I can now stick my finger in the air and do what I think is best for myself.

WashJeff on July 20, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I have a sneaking suspicion that too many politicians are just as ‘flexible’ when it comes to positions as Crist.

This guy just wants to keep his job and he doesn’t care if everyone knows he’s an ideological whore. He stands for nothing except personal perks and a paycheck from the taxpayers.

Asher on July 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM

What the? We’re on an episode of “Punked!” right?

Vera on July 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Seriously, I hope nobody here at hotair is surprised at this. Nobody wants him at their party so he runs outside into the storm. Is anyone surprised when a weathervane spins in the wind?

platypus on July 20, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Charlie Crist is that guy who throws women and children out of lifeboats in order to save himself.

portlandon on July 20, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Didn’t you figure out all you need know about Crists character when he took the money and ran?

tarpon on July 20, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Regarding Sotomayor,if he was opposed to her before he should really be opposed now. She is everything we knew she would be and more.This weasely little man is the most vile of all politicians.Sanke oil salesman extraordinaire.

sandee on July 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM

pimf “snake”

sandee on July 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM

“I want to do what is in my heart selfish best interest to get elected,” Mr. Crist said last week…”

Fixed.

JetBoy on July 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Wow.. this guy is seriously the Hollywood caricture of opportunist politician. If 24 hadn’t been cancelled, I’d suspect that the producers would be studying Crist as a model for the next slimy politician who hates Jake Bauer.

Illinidiva on July 20, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Right, the same primary you feared so much that you bailed out on as an R to run as an “independent”?

He is truly a wonder of nature. He’s like every snide, biting, over-the-top parody of a politician from ancient Greece through today in one overly tanned husk. Except he’s real. And he’s spectacular.

Wineaholic on July 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM

New PPP poll. For what it’s worth.

Rubio needs to get it together. This is shaping up to be a disaster. Rubio is polling under 60% with conservatives. WTH? That is RINO territory.

chief on July 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Said the deer, just before it froze in the headlights of the oncoming train…..

UltimateBob on July 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM

He’ll get his in November, early retirement.

JimK on July 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM

The pine marten strikes again.

forest on July 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM

So we’re supposed to believe that he felt pressure in the primary(even though he was once up by over 30 points), but he feels no pressure whatsoever in a Senate race that’s neck-and-neck. Riiiiiiight.

And even if we do take him at his word this time(I know, but play along with me), he’s essentially conceding that he’s a Democrat.

Doughboy on July 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM

How can someone vote for a guy in which they have no idea what he supports?

WisCon on July 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM

He’s more Democrat then the Democrat running against him. I wonder if he were to win which party he would caucus with? I guess we all know that answer.

sandee on July 20, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Does anyone remember that movie with Eddie Murphy called The Distinguished Gentleman? Eddie’s character is named Mr. Johnson. A congressman named Johnson dies and there is an election to replace him. Eddie runs a campaign where he never shows his face, just has lots of old signs saying Elect Johnson for Congress. And wins just on name recognition.

This is the same thing. People hear Crist and think yeah I know him, I guess he’d be a good senator. Too lazy to check what he’d one recently or that he will be a far left vote.

Oh and in what state did the movie take place? You guessed it. FloriDUH.

angryed on July 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Hmm. I think I will have waffles for breakfast.

Rightwingguy on July 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I’m not paying any attention to any polls until end of Sept…it’s like watching a basketball game…in MOST games, the last two minutes are really all you need to watch…everything else before that is just a ping-pong game…

Ltlgeneral64 on July 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Heart of darkness and evil.

chemman on July 20, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Oh and in what state did the movie take place? You guessed it. FloriDUH.

angryed on July 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I sincerely hope this isn’t an issue once Rubio floods the airwaves with ads and a debate or two takes place. It’s frankly mindboggling to me that Crist gets any GOP support in the general election. Forget his positions which are left of Meeks, but just the way he stabbed the party in the back and kept all those campaign contributions made under false pretenses should be enough to turn off voters.

Doughboy on July 20, 2010 at 12:05 PM

OT, I see in the headlines that Miss lindsey is going to vote to confirm Kagan. Yeah, she’s real qualified.

sandee on July 20, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Dhurka Dhurka on July 20, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Beat me to the punch that will teach me to read the thread first.

chemman on July 20, 2010 at 12:09 PM

He’ll get his in November, early retirement.

Huh? If he loses the Senate race, he still gets to be Governor.

YYZ on July 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Careful that wind blowing meter doesn’t knock you over Charlie. What a two-faced liar.

Rovin on July 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Huh? If he loses the Senate race, he still gets to be Governor.

YYZ on July 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Er, not what I meant. Since he’s not running for re-election as Governor anyway, he was always going to be “retiring” from that position, regardless.

YYZ on July 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM

This race will change after labor day. There’ll be a dem nominee, debates, Rubio advertising and the oil spill coverage should abate. People will also pay more attention to where Crist stands. Most Floridians are at the beach.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on July 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I just got back into town and heard that Mr. Crist was calling a special session of the legislature to ban the off shore drilling that he was for until recently. I had also heard that said session would be adjourned immediately. I don’t know what the heck is going on here.

Cindy Munford on July 20, 2010 at 12:13 PM

The man is shameless.

WannabeAnglican on July 20, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Crist makes Arlen Specter seem like Thomas More.

Quite an achievement.

SteveMG on July 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I’ve never seen a wind sock that shade of orange before.

DrAllecon on July 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Cindy Munford on July 20, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I knew once it was capped he’d change his mind.

Marcus on July 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Crist flip flopping? No, in fact this is who Charlie has always been–a pure sun tanned used car politician.

There’s only one thing worse than Charlie–the Repub brass that is now acting shocked. If in fact they are shocked they are idiots. I maintain they have known all about Charlie and still supported him against a conservative/small gov opponent in Rubio. Tells you all you need to know about the Cornyn’s of the world.

It is not the Pelosi, Reid and Obama’s of the world that are screwing things up, it is the Repub leadership the last six years who have created and empowered these nanny staters.

patrick neid on July 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM

OT: Grahamnesty is voting for Kagan. Can this idiot be recalled?

ConservativePartyNow on July 20, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Mr. Crist: “I fart in your general direction.”

mrt721 on July 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Marcus on July 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM

No, I think he still wants the session and a statewide ban on offshore drilling. I think it’s the members of the legislature who plan to adjourn. I can’t find anything. I have emailed a friend for clarification.

Cindy Munford on July 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Charlie is a first class douchenozzle…

I blame JetBoy and SquidShark.

Did that hat ever get eaten?

JohnBG on July 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

This guy is something.

What are Floridians thinking?

Romney/Crist 2012 FTW!

gary4205 on July 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM

From Marco Rubio via Facebook:

Important article you shouldn’t miss! http://bit.ly/9jYTvd Charlie Crist has switched positions on just about everything – he no longer supports repealing ObamaCare, he suddenly supports Justice Sotomayor, he’s actively speaking to Harry Reid – and get now he’s even admitted that he lied about what he truly believed to win Republican votes. Do we want someone like him leading us?

ornery_independent on July 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Charlie whips around so much, it’s like having our very own Bass-O-Matic for Governor.

tree hugging sister on July 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM

His heart is definitely on the left.

Q. Why is Charlie Crist like a hurricane?

A. He’s all wet, very destructive, and spins to the left.

Steve Z on July 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Son of Specter coming soon to a capital near us.

Kissmygrits on July 20, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Bet if a certain infamous king of the nether regions offerred Crist a sell your soul for public office deal, the contract would be signed and sealed by now. Maybe it already is?

jeanie on July 20, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Just heard on the radio news, that the special session was adjourned and the legislature sent home after an hour after labeling it a political ploy by Gov. Crist.

Cindy Munford on July 20, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Another “Republiclan” who’s worse than useless.

listens2glenn on July 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM

the flip flop commercials are writing themselves. I understand that Rubio has been defining himself to the Florida electorate, but the attacks will soon have to begin. Perhaps that rich real estate guy will win the Democratic primary and can spend his own money attacking Crist, because it is his territory Crist is encroaching on.

Daemonocracy on July 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Wonder sometimes how folks like Specter and Crist can look themselves in the mirror. Ambition trumps everything, apparently even self respect. Not good people, not good!!!

jeanie on July 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM

portlandon on July 20, 2010 at 11:48 AM

A real live Dr. Zachary Smith.

(My apologies to the younger readers, go watch a few episodes of Lost in Space)

ButterflyDragon on July 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Principles of Jello!

(this ad paid for by Jello Inc.)

The Rock on July 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Saying he has principles, when he doesn’t makes him a right fine Democrat. He’ll fit right in. Just like a snake does in grass.

capejasmine on July 20, 2010 at 4:19 PM

There’s no way to trust a guy like this. I hope the FL voters catch on to him.

jeanie on July 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Latest poll that has Rubio winning is Rasmussen, all others has Crist winning. None had a Dem winning.
Crist insisted today that a special session be held to add an oil drill ban on our shores into the state Constitution. There has been a ban for years already on the books, just not the constitution, this was just a pandering building off the BP mess.
Well, all of our reps on our taxes met up in Tallahassee today for 1 hour and that nothing was done. Good show.

LadyGator88 on July 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM

ErinF on July 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Doing the “right thing” would be illegal. However we will do our best to do the next best thing and retire him to a place where his wife and significant other can rub orange tanning lotion on him.

CC

CapedConservative on July 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Prediction – whether or not Crist becomes a Senator, he will be a card-carrying member of the ‘Rat Party by this time next year. The only reason why he didn’t go the Full Specter route now was there was somebody in the ‘Rat primary for Senate.

steveegg on July 20, 2010 at 5:35 PM

His new slogan.

Crist because scum rises to the top.

Slowburn on July 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM