USDA official resigns over Breitbart tape of NAACP speech

posted at 8:21 pm on July 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

That was fast.

The Agriculture Department announced Monday, shortly after FoxNews.com published its initial report on the video, that Sherrod had resigned.

“There is zero tolerance for discrimination at USDA, and I strongly condemn any act of discrimination against any person,” Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said in a written statement. “We have been working hard through the past 18 months to reverse the checkered civil rights history at the department and take the issue of fairness and equality very seriously.

Here’s Ed’s post on the vid in case you missed it this morning. It’s a great write-up, but The Anchoress adds an important wrinkle: Doesn’t it sound like Sherrod was building to a “but” before the clip cut out?

Doesn’t it seem like, after all of that sort of winking, “you and I know how they really are” racist crap wherein Sherrod–intentionally or not–indicts her own narrow focus, she was heading to a more edifying message? What did it open her eyes about? Was she about to say “I took him to one of his own, but it shouldn’t have mattered about that; my job was to serve all the farmers who needed help.”

Was she about to say, “I learned about myself and about how far we still have to go?”

Was she about to say “it’s not poor vs those who have, because we are not at war, we are just in the same human reality that ever was?”

Was she about to say, “poor is poor, hungry is hungry and the past is the past when a family can’t eat?”

I want to see the rest of the tape. I cannot believe Sherrod ended on “I took him to one of his own.” Either she said something much worse after that (which we would have seen) or she said something much better.

I assume Breitbart’s edit is fair to the spirit of her remarks; if it isn’t, rest assured that Media Matters or whoever will produce the full tape of the event and demand to know why essential context was bowdlerized. And speaking of Breitbart, didn’t he claim to have “tapes” — plural — of racism at NAACP events? Perhaps that explains his latest Tweet, written half an hour before I’m posting this: “Hey @ericboehlert & the mostly male Caucasian @mmfa ‘senior fellows’: Get some rest. Tomorrow’s gonna be long day & first of many in a row.” Hmmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

You do realize it was a WHITE GUY that fired here. Stinking racist.

dirtseller on July 19, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Now she’s free to join the Department of Justice. Her attitiude toward whitey will be appreciated there.

Cicero43 on July 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM

And the fallout begins as Breitbart ready to pull more out of his bag o tricks.

CWforFreedom on July 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Maybe its me but I’m not hearing any “but” in there at all…

crazywater on July 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Look for Center for American Progress to hire another person.

Daggett on July 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Good. Breitbart has begun turning the screws. He dishes out pain to lefties like no other. It’s great to watch and truly a national service.

ted c on July 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM

There is no redemption after using the term “own kind”. There is no amount of context that will make that term in that conversation not be bigoted.

ButterflyDragon on July 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Took long enough! /

bernzright777 on July 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Must a been a white guy running that camera. Its a cornspiracy, I tell ya.

Warner Todd Huston on July 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM

How many more, Mr. President, how many more?…..

CTSherman on July 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Let’s see how much WaPo, NYT, and CNN cover this. My guess is that this happened very swiftly and they will try to let it slide by without saying much.

Mark1971 on July 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Great. USDA official resigns over Breitbart tape of NAACP speech… And was promoted to an Obama cabinet position.

Claypigeon on July 19, 2010 at 8:28 PM

She’ll just turn up in some other government job IMO.

ted c on July 19, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I knew she’d have to go. Didn’t think it’d be this quick.

Earlier today, Andrew said to stay tuned because something even bigger is coming out tomorrow (though not from him).

SukieTawdry on July 19, 2010 at 8:28 PM

See ya!

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I wonder why Drudge links to some CBS site and not Breitbart…..weird?

ted c on July 19, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Good.

ORconservative on July 19, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I don’t know what you guys are talking about. I’ve not seen one peep of this on any of the main news stations so it must not have happened… /s

Skywise on July 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM

with her resigning this quickly, I’m going with said something much worse, despite our not seeing it…

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM

aaaaaaahhhAHAHAHAHAHA!

Reap it. As for the supposed “but” that was never heard, you would think Sherrod would have said that there was more to the tape.

She admitted to racism. Good riddance.

Bishop on July 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Kudos to Breitbart for exposing liberal hypocrisy!!

Conservative Samizdat on July 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Now this is what I call progress.

carbon_footprint on July 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM

So, she resigns—and admits it was racist. ….hmph

ted c on July 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM

…the checkered civil rights history at the department…

What? The Department of Agriculture has a checkered civil rights history that needed correction in the year 2009?

cthulhu on July 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM

The Post-Racial Obama World. When race is a thing of the past.

Yeah, right.

Cicero43 on July 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Ms. Sherrod was obviously insulted by the farmer’s perceived attitude of superiority. She has probably helped all manner of people in her career. The perfect ending to her story would have been to ignore whatever was bothering her about this man’s attitude and do her job to the best of her ability. And if that wasn’t possible, then she probably should have kept the incident to herself.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM

She didn’t look good but I thought the same as AP that the tape ended kind of abruptly. I don’t think ol Andy is going to leave himself open by being underhanded on editing though.

arnold ziffel on July 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Has anyone found this farmer yet? I really would like to see him file a discrimination suit.

Mark1971 on July 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM

ted c on July 19, 2010 at 8:29 PM

noticed that as well…maybe he thinks it will show little more gravitas to the libs who look at his site?

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Time for a whole bunch of journalists to go on vacation…

Seven Percent Solution on July 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM

thump thump, what was that.

That was the bus that drove by with the street cleaners to follow to clean up and make the problem go away, which it will in short time. No more questions will be asked because she is not there anymore problem solved and it never happened so don’t ask.

tjexcite on July 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Sounds like it’s all Bush’s fault doesn’t it?

chickasaw42 on July 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Mark1971 on July 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM

a 20-30 second sound bite at the top of the hour me thinks

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Bob Schieffer had a bad lunch and he’s been in the toilet most of the afternoon.

Cicero43 on July 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I guess the president should step down for his white man’s greed comments…what is the difference?

tomas on July 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM

From a Fox story on the issue:

In a second clip from the same event posted online, Sherrod appeared to urge black job seekers to find work at the Department of Agriculture because the federal government won’t lay people off.

“There are jobs at USDA and many times there are no people of color to fill those jobs because we shy away from agriculture. We hear the word agriculture and think, why are we working in the fields?” she said. “You’ve heard of a lot of layoffs. Have you heard of anybody in the federal government losing their job? That’s all I need to say.

There will be soon enough. We need to throw thousands of those people out. There are just too many government workers and government is too big. Government isn’t the answer, government is the problem.

crosspatch on July 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Doesn’t it sound like Sherrod was building to a “but” before the clip cut out?

Exactly what kind of “but” would lessen the racism in that? Are you think of a Dallas series finale type of thing or what?

Ronnie on July 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Perhaps next time, the NAACP will be a little more careful about condemning strawmen. Glass…it’s more breakable then apparently they thought.

BruthaMan on July 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Do we love Breitbart?

Yes. Yes we do.

SlaveDog on July 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM

arnold ziffel on July 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Agreed, although Ed is hoping for some redemptive closing, I don’t think that will happen. If there is/was a redemption at the end, she should have screamed foul and demanded that the entire tape of the speech be given. lacking that it explains to me the swiftness of the removal from office.

ChicagoBlues on July 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Just wait until you see all the racism in the heath Kare panels.

tarpon on July 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I wonder when society will reach the point when people (especially politicians) truely understand the concept of ‘video with sound’. I cannot believe how many people are tripped up because they say stuff in front of a camera that most people wouldn’t whisper in private.

joejm65 on July 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Splash one.

ronsfi on July 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I agree, but, the way she related this story to her audience, she sounded darn proud of herself “sticking it to the man”.

tru2tx on July 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I see a Czar position coming up shortly for her…yeah?

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM

tomas on July 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM

If it’s the one I am thinking of, he was quoting Rev. Wright.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM

“We have been working hard through the past 18 months to reverse the checkered civil rights history at the department…”

Ah HAH! I blame BUSH!!!

KS Rex on July 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM

USDA official resigns over Breitbart tape of NAACP speech

Now this is the kind of change I can believe in… Great Work Breitbart!

WhoU4 on July 19, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Isn’t this Monday ?
Coulda sworn it was a Friday news dump.
Hmmmm.

pambi on July 19, 2010 at 8:38 PM

“There is zero tolerance for discrimination at USDA, and I strongly condemn any act of discrimination against any person”

Clearly, no such “zero tolerance” exists in the NAACP. This is probably the tip of the iceberg.

pearson on July 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM

It had better be a fair edit, or I will lose respect for Breitbart for contributing to her getting fired unfairly.

Doesn’t matter if she had a change of heart at some time, she misused her position prior to that one white farmer. She should be fired.

lowandslow on July 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM

drip, drip, drip, until they all drown in their own hypocrisy.

Atta-boy Breitbart.

barnone on July 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Now lets go find that farmer this government racist was talking about…and others like him who got discriminated against by her and others like her in USDA,
and sue USDA for violation of their civil rights, racial discrimination and compensation.
Her resignation should not stop the process of justice for her victims.

macncheez on July 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Van Jones ACORN Shirley Sherrod

Who is next?

Mark1971 on July 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Yep, that was fast. More like this!

petefrt on July 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM

BTW why resign if you innocent ?

William Amos on July 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Aw, I wanted a pat on the head for posting it in the old thread comments first, AP. :’(

lansing quaker on July 19, 2010 at 8:41 PM

tru2tx on July 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I agree and she was probably encouraged by the crowd reception. She states that she realized that it was “poor” not skin color but the realization couldn’t quite get her do her job. I am sorry it ended her career but she has no one to blame but herself.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I see a Czar position coming up shortly for her…yeah?

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Mixelle’s “Garden Czar” ?

macncheez on July 19, 2010 at 8:41 PM

drip, drip, drip, until they all drown in their own hypocrisy.

Atta-boy Breitbart.

barnone on July 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM

DoJ in 5… 4… 3…

petefrt on July 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Her resignation doesn’t end racist policy in WH

lilium on July 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Andrew has become an American hero.

UncleZeb on July 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I see a Czar position coming up shortly for her…yeah?

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Reparations Czar

Mark1971 on July 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Mixelle’s “Garden Czar” ?

macncheez on July 19, 2010 at 8:41 PM

what kind of veggies will she allow to grow in the garden?

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Breitbart=GOLD

artist on July 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Of course, this part of her story is a bit hard to square.

“I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So I didn’t give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough,”

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Reparations Czar

Mark1971 on July 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM

good one :)

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Aaaaaand she’s gone.

Good Lt on July 19, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I see a Czar position coming up shortly for her…yeah?

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Refudiate Czar

William Amos on July 19, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Need a congressional investigation into all cases reviewed by the avowed racist Ms. Sherrod.

faraway on July 19, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Breitbart took out Shirley Sherrod in less than a day. I think he’s engaging in a little bit of friendly competition with Beck. It took him at least a few weeks to get Van Jones run out of town if I recall correctly. Ball’s in your court, Glenn.

Doughboy on July 19, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Good.

It is bad enough that she sent him “to his own kind” but it became even worse when she told an outside group about it and passed it off as acceptable practice.

I still hope the lawyer and the farmer recognize themselves in her story and pursue charges against her.

journeyintothewhirlwind on July 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Doesn’t it sound like Sherrod was building to a “but” before the clip cut out?

Ronnie on July 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM

“I like big buts, I cannot lie…”
:-D

/I denounce myself

Mary in LA on July 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Refudiate Czar

William Amos on July 19, 2010 at 8:46 PM

lol :)

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I hear the IRS is hiring…

Seven Percent Solution on July 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM

what kind of veggies will she allow to grow in the garden?

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Blackberries and black eyed peas for sure
;-)

macncheez on July 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM

You know who this benefits? Jennifer Love Hewitt

carbon_footprint on July 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM

crosspatch on July 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines – they are GOVERNMENT workers.

CIA agents abroad risking their lives in the war on terror – they are GOVERNMENT workers.

DEA agents in deep cover risking their lives to keep drugs out of your kid’s school – they’re GOVERNMENT WORKERS.

FBI agents on the trail of pedophiles – they’re GOVERNMENT workers.

I could go on and on with this. I personally am a government worker – and I do a dangerous job in order to enhance the national security of the United States. I don’t get a six figure salary for that either – in fact, significantly less than six figures. I make a good income from my military retirement and my current job – and the fact that my wife is an engineer – but I’m not a rich man.

I think everyone should be careful of blaming the whole core of government workers. Many are vital – and you should not paint them all as being bad – because they aren’t.

Now – I’ll be the first to admit that government has FAT that can be cut. We have too many government workers and we need to trim the fat. But we should not demonize those who work for the government in general.

HondaV65 on July 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM

And speaking of Breitbart, didn’t he claim to have “tapes” — plural — of racism at NAACP events? Perhaps that explains his latest Tweet, written half an hour before I’m posting this: “Hey @ericboehlert & the mostly male Caucasian @mmfa ’senior fellows’: Get some rest. Tomorrow’s gonna be long day & first of many in a row.” Hmmmm.

OOOOOOooooohhhh, *squeeeee!*

Strap yourselves in, boys. It’s gonna be a bumpy night!

Sekhmet on July 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM

The NAACP should issue a proclamation demanding that Obama refudiate all the racist elements inside his administration.

faraway on July 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM

This implies that it was BUUUUUSHHHH’s fault. As if Bush was discrimatory in agriculture? What can you discrmiate in agriculture? A cow, a pig, a sheep and/or parent seed corn.

What this whole issue reminds me of a certain Iowa Gov. who had a problem with discrimation in his adminstration in 2006. Would that be Vilsack? Yes it would be!

So, I guess discrimination follows Vilsack. Nice job at the attempted projection(sarc). Hey Tom, next time remember point a finger and three more are pointing back at you!

Also keep that seat warm, your replacement as governor will be out of a job soon and could use the one you just opened up!

Rndguy on July 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM

macncheez on July 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM

heh :)

cmsinaz on July 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM

O`Reilly showing the clip right now.

bluemarlin on July 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Well, now she has heard of someone in the government losing their job

firepilot on July 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Her speech was unprofessional. There should have been fallout either way.

CWforFreedom on July 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Notice in that title of the Drudge link to CBS is that the video “suggests racism”. Suggests?

Fogpig on July 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Breitbart is cool.

visions on July 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on July 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I agree.

INC on July 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM

You can just see the hate dripping from Ms. Sherrod.

jaime on July 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM

In response to the point made by the Anchoress and others, Andrew also said he would make the entire video available. Apparently, there was nothing redemptive and her statement about having her “eyes opened” about black/white vs rich/poor is as good as it got.

SukieTawdry on July 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Instant Refudiation!

Inanemergencydial on July 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM

HondaV65 on July 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM

That’s fair.

If I may, I’ll add that the guys with the dangerous jobs aren’t unionized. I think the unionized government workers are the worst featherbedders and the ones whose jobs should be looked at first for cuts.

Mary in LA on July 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM

And it’s quite possible that she was fired unfairly simply because the video “looks” bad.
blink on July 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM

No its not.

This is about as straight forward as it gets. As I posted about an hour before she was fired.

The fact that she even mentioned “race” as it relates to Farmers in her state, is, by any definition, Racist.

The fact that she stated “how” she dealt with this farmer was based on “HIS race”, is, by any definition, Racism.

The rules are simple, don’t violate either one of these.
End of discussion.

DSchoen on July 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Will the USDA be providing “sensitivity” training for the members of Sherrod’s office who remain, to make sure this doesn’t happen again?

wren on July 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Why would she resign when it wasn’t in the news?

faraway on July 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM