Bob Schieffer didn’t ask AG Holder about Black Panther controversy because …

posted at 2:20 pm on July 19, 2010 by Howard Portnoy

And you thought “The dog ate my homework” was a lame excuse? Try this one, from the lips of CBS’s Bob Schieffer, who was asked yesterday by CNN’s Howard Kurtz why Schieffer didn’t ask Attorney General Eric Holder about the New Black Panther Party voter intimidation scandal the previous Sunday on his own show “Face the Nation.”

Schieffer’s response—I kid you not—was “I was on vacation that week. This happened — apparently, it got very little publicity. And, you know, I just didn’t know about it.”

Fair enough. It’s not as though Schieffer works for a major news-gathering organization like CBS that has hundreds of staffers whose sole job is to make sure that the news doesn’t slip through the cracks. Oh, wait. He does work for CBS. As to his fatuous claim that the story “got very little publicity,” I assume that Schieffer’s staff missed the exchange of volleys between the NAACP and the Tea Party, which did get some notice in the mainstream media (you’ll never guess how it was played up) and always referenced the New Black Panther Party voter intimidation case.

Lest you think this is a Monday prank, here is a link to the video exchange between Kurtz and Schieffer.

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Willful ignorance.

Jvette on July 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM

How do you write this post and not mention Charlie Gibson?!?

Abby Adams on July 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I hope he spent some of that vacation time scouring for a good assisted living complex. Seems to me, he’s dropped the ball, and his trousers at the same time.

capejasmine on July 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM

How do you write this post and not mention Charlie Gibson?!?

Abby Adams on July 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Charlie Gibson? Never heard of him. LOL

I’m repressing any memory of that idiot. :D

capejasmine on July 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Because… Bob is a tool of the highest order…

Khun Joe on July 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Another if-a-story-falls-during-my-vacation-does-anyone-hear-it situation…

Sorry, Bob. The MSM’s defenses are being overrun by this story. You guys have tried to insulate it, defend it, ignore it, and forget about it because you know it is bad, badddd news. It’s not a left-right issue, it is a right-wrong issue, Bob. Voter intimidation is wrong, no matter the origin. Do your job and quit ignoring the stuff that is really bad.

ted c on July 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

That has to be the funniest remark I have ever read…do other journalist giggle when he walks into the room?

right2bright on July 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Someone please inform Bob Schieffer that late in July 1969 we landed on the Moon…since he was probably on vacation that week too…

PatriotRider on July 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Up next….Michelle Obama’s gareden tips…This is CNN.

BobMbx on July 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM

What the hell? Did he go to Mars for a vacation? Its not like he was completely in a news black out. He knew, he is just covering for Holder.

tommer74 on July 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM

“There hasn’t been a lot of news about it…”

Uh, yeah, cause, you’re the news and you’re not reporting on it?

JellyToast on July 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM

How do you write this post and not mention Charlie Gibson?!?

Abby Adams on July 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Never heard of him.

lorien1973 on July 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM

apparently, it got very little publicity.

My irony meter is pegging.

WitchDoctor on July 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM

This was, to me, the most depressing story about media of the year.

So he goes on vacation and doesn’t catch up before coming back to report?

The saving grace was the WP article.

AnninCA on July 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Bob Schieffer: “….um no, didn’t ask him. But have you heard about Sarah Palin…”

tommer74 on July 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM

CBS really should get Schieffer some, like, assistants and stuff.

Cicero43 on July 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM

This was, to me, the most depressing story about media of the year.

AnninCA on July 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Girl, this is everyday stuff in the wonderful world of the MFM.

He was on vacation, his production staff was on vacation, the network’s researchers were on vacation, and nobody they know, collectively, mentioned this story.

Or, alternative to the explanation that they’ve secretly all been participating in a sensory deprivation experiment since may of 2009, there’s the OTHER explanation – he’s lying.

Occam knows.

Merovign on July 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM

“No, I did not hear about this story because my fingers were in my ears and I was singing “LA la la la la.”

– Bob Schieffer

UltimateBob on July 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Apparently news people no longer have to “do their homework” like in the good old days? This would have merited an automatic firing back when TV news organizations at least pretended to be professional.

jwolf on July 19, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Assuming he’s genuine in his “I just didn’t know about it.” comment, it means he’s incompetent. Isn’t his job the news? When preparing for an interview with a key white house appointee, wouldn’t you do a bit of preparation? Wouldn’t you at least look at the headlines? Wouldn’t you want to look for any potential controversies? Is this guy a progressive BO cheerleader or a serious news person? I’m not buying it. He and/or his staff chose not to ask the question.

ClanDerson on July 19, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I notice that when Schieffer is lying he always looks away from the camera, not directly into the lens like he does the rest of the time.

FloatingRock on July 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Schieffer:

There hasn’t been any news about it, and I’d like to keep it that way.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Principal: Is there a Mr. Gump, Miz Gump?
Mrs. Gump: He’s on vacation.
Young Forrest Gump: Mama. What’s vacation?
Mrs. Gump: Vacation’s when you go somewhere… and you never come back.

Brat on July 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Oh yes, thanks CNN for giving him some softball air-time to make his excuse publicly. Enablers!

ClanDerson on July 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Plausible deniability.

stonemeister on July 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Dan Rather was assigned that story.

percysunshine on July 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM

The insurgent left is at war. Most are unaware.

faraway on July 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Of course I care about the story…

Well, all RIGHTY then.

We don’t make deals with people we’re going to interview…

Ok, fine.

Had I known about it, I would have asked…

Groovy.

What Bob Schieffer has just admitted – because it’s the ONLY option left – is that he’s simply incompetent.

Nice to know!

psrch on July 19, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I notice that when Schieffer is lying his lips move.

FloatingRock on July 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Just a little change.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Plausible senility.

stonemeister on July 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Fixed.

CurtZHP on July 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I’ve got a girlcrush!

Megyn – not Bob, although I can see where you all might need clarification.

Laura in Maryland on July 19, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Bob gets his talking points from the WH as does most of the MSM.

The are utterly useless and thoroughly disgraced.

Cody1991 on July 19, 2010 at 2:47 PM

“The iPhone 4 has reception problems? I didn’t hear about it, I was on vacation last week.” – Steve Jobs

joejm65 on July 19, 2010 at 2:47 PM

In fairness to Bob, lot’s of reasonable persons have their heads up their keisters.

Laura in Maryland on July 19, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Pearl Harbor was bombed?

- FDR on Dec 12th

faraway on July 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Bob and his MSM friends’ brains have been on vacation since Obambi started running for the presidency. :(

poxoma on July 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Mentally on permanent vacation.

50sGuy on July 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM

BTW. kelly@foxnews.com is full and returning emails…..

She is doing a helluva job on this one.

ted c on July 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM

What’s the saying? Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity and incompetence. He’s a doddering, liberal nitwit from CBS.

Jaibones on July 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Dear Everybody,

Black racism must be stopped.

Dutifully yours,
GOP

The Race Card on July 19, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Dear Everybody,

Black racism must be stopped.

Dutifully yours,
GOP

The Race Card on July 19, 2010 at 2:57 PM

You take the opposing view, apparently.

TexasDan on July 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Howie? Really, Bobby, who’s a member of the club? Which club? The LAME club!
How many times, Bobby, did you ask any Bush administration official about the resignation requests required of U.S. Attorneys which the President is entitled by law and custom to do? Two times? Ten times? Twenty times? Sounds like implicit demonstrated bias to me, Bobby, you clubby old tool.
Take it from me, Bobby you had so many indefinite antecedents in that interview that even I almost got twisted around as to what “thing” you didn’t know about. Where do you vacation, anyway, in a cave?

ExpressoBold on July 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Obama voter.

Bishop on July 19, 2010 at 3:11 PM

And the twits in the media say that Dubya and Saracuda don’t read and aren’t intellectually curious enough….

phreshone on July 19, 2010 at 3:13 PM

So was liberal dinosaur Schieffer saying her was on vacation on election day 2008 when the incident took place?

If so, you mean to tell me that a liberal dinosaur like Schiefer was going to pass up the “unprecedented” opportunity to cast his vote for the first black American president in the voting booth, and opt by absentee ballot, and then miss the maga-parties at west 57th street with Katie, Harry, et al.

Doesn’t pass the smell test.

Funny, most companies restrict vacations during peak production season. Schiefer wants us to believe CBS lets their most senior staff take a vaca during the busiest season during a historic time in history.

Yeah right.

veni vidi vici on July 19, 2010 at 3:15 PM

“I didn’t ask because the New Black Klanther Party is a little fringe group, not like the huge mainstream-America Tea Partiers, who are racists,” -Bob “You Can Change My Depends Now” Schieffer.

Akzed on July 19, 2010 at 3:21 PM

He needs to retire.

ladyingray on July 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I am sure that once upon a time, possibly back in the 1950′s, Bob Schieffer was a competent, skilled, and ethically sound journalist.

But that was then and this is now. What we see now is incompetence, a poor set of skills, and ethics went sailing out the window a long time ago!

Maybe it’s time to retire, Bob. While you still have a few sound marbles rolling in your head.

pilamaye on July 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM

He can be that incompetent but the whole network news department? He was given guidelines. Either that or he is a liar and CBS needs to fire a lot of people.

Vince on July 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM

“Up next, a live report from Bob Schieffer…

… on vacation, with the President!”

Seven Percent Solution on July 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM

How embarrassing.

ctmom on July 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM

The Buggy Whip Manufacterers Association of America wasn’t paying attention to this story neither.

Akzed on July 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Bob Schieffer needs a Gump vacation where you go away and never come back.

maverick muse on July 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I’m thinking that Bob goes on vacation quite often, including as he walks around his own house.

Bishop on July 19, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Maybe he is doing an Arlen and is asking for a job in the admin when this one is up.

docflash on July 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Any reporter who didn’t think that upon his return from vacation he ought to bring himself up to snuff on what’s been going on while he was out, well, isn’t much of a “reporter” than, is he? I suppose he didn’t read of the DOJs botched Polanski extradition, either.

scalleywag on July 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I simply don’t believe him. He either is lying through his teeth, or he is an old fool who doesn’t take his job seriously enough anymore. Sure, people who come on the show have to prepare for the questions, but not the anchor or his staff?!

Bob Schieffer: At least his initials are appropriate for his occupation.

itzWicks on July 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Akzed on July 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Now that’s funny!

scalleywag on July 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM

This is CBS at it’s finest…pick and choose what’s important news and what isn’t, never mind giving viewers the facts and asking the tough questions.

scalleywag on July 19, 2010 at 3:41 PM

It truly was funny, I didn’t hit the strike tag!

Akzed on July 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM

scalleywag on July 19, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Ole Bob Scheefer has always been a low level leech on the arse of the dems.

Dhuka on July 19, 2010 at 3:45 PM

No doubt followed by winks, snickering and playful elbow-jabs in the CBS newsroom after this aired.

I’m surprised he kept a straight face when he said it and we didn’t hear the roar of laughter in the background. It’s all a big joke to them…everyone is in on it and they really could care less.

Malpaso on July 19, 2010 at 3:48 PM

He must have stepped into the Twilight Zone

ajacksonian on July 19, 2010 at 3:51 PM

This is what happens when you only read left wing periodcals and watch left wing news. The DOJ story just wasn’t that big a story. Good, solid newsman there, Bob! Congrats on your ignorance.

allstonian on July 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Maybe his dog ate his story.

disa on July 19, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Vince on July 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I believe you have reached the correct conclusion… CBS News is that incompetent. Yes, the whole department. Want proof? I got two words for you:

Dan Rather.

psrch on July 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I tend to believe Sheepert. There hasn’t been much reporting on the story outside of FOX. However, that is also why your network and NBC, MSNBC, ABC, and CNN will continue to be weeks behind in news coverage. It is also why you will continue to lose viewers/ratings.

jpmn on July 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM

CBS

pain train on July 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Dan Rather. Katie “Kupcake” Couric.

psrch on July 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Updated for current version of “Stupid on Display”

ExpressoBold on July 19, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I want to know which week he was on vacation, because one of those weeks was election week. If he wasn’t on the job that week……then he should be fired for cause.

And if it was the OTHER week, the week the DOJ dropped the case, if he can’t hire even an unpaid intern to keep him clued in…..he should be fired for cause.

Because he is obviously not doing his job. No matter the week.

JeffWeimer on July 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

PatriotRider on July 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM

+1000. We could go on forever with significant historical events that Schieffer may have missed while on vacation. What a major tool!!

Callie C. on July 19, 2010 at 8:13 PM

The State Run Media will go to any length to protect the democrat party even if it requires making complete fools out of themselves. Bob now can joint Charlie Gibson.

flintstone on July 19, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Sheez, his initials aren’t B. S. for a reason!

chickasaw42 on July 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM

If it’s not in the daily White House talking points Bob Schieffer doesn’t know about it.

He’s a “journalist” pretty much explains everything.

RJL on July 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Friggin tool’s been on vacation for decades…

2ipa on July 20, 2010 at 12:06 AM

and and and my dog ate my homework!

friggen dip sticks !

Time to hang up the typewritter there skippy and call it a day.
If you cant hack the mission get out of the way.

ColdWarrior57 on July 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM