Remember that “Pay As You Go” Law the President Wanted?

posted at 3:45 pm on July 18, 2010 by Jimmie Bise, Jr

The President engaged in another bit of tale-telling today in his radio address.

President Barack Obama says Senate Republicans are playing politics with bills that would extend benefits to the unemployed and increase lending to small businesses.

Striking a deeply partisan tone in his weekly radio and online address, Obama said the GOP leadership has chosen to “filibuster our recovery and obstruct our progress” by blocking votes on agenda items the president says would breath life into the economic recovery.

“These steps aren’t just the right thing to do for those hardest hit by the recession,” Obama said. “They’re the right thing to do for all of us.”

The Republicans aren’t stopping “progress” (which lately means “stuff I want to do regardless of its effect on the economy”) and they certainly aren’t obstructing anything but the Democrats’ attempt to break a law they passed, a law the President insisted Congress pass not but a few months ago. The law is called PayGo and it used to be a big deal.

Does anyone remember the PayGo law? Let me remind you what the President said about it in February.

It’s pretty simple. It says to Congress, you have to pay as you go. You can’t spend a dollar unless you cut a dollar elsewhere. This is how a responsible family or business manages a budget. And this is how a responsible government manages a budget, as well.

It was this rule that helped lead to balanced budgets in the 1990s, by making clear that we could not increase entitlement spending or cut taxes simply by borrowing more money. And it was the abandonment of this rule that allowed the previous administration and previous congresses to pass massive tax cuts for the wealthy and create an expensive new drug program without paying for any of it. Now in a perfect world, Congress would not have needed a law to act responsibly, to remember that every dollar spent would come from taxpayers today – or our children tomorrow.

But this isn’t a perfect world. This is Washington. And while in theory there is bipartisan agreement on moving on balanced budgets, in practice, this responsibility for the future is often overwhelmed by the politics of the moment. It falls prey to the pressure of special interests, to the pull of local concerns, and to a reality familiar to every single American – the fact that it is a lot easier to spend a dollar than save one.

That is why this rule is necessary. And that is why I am pleased that Congress fulfilled my request to restore it. Last night, I signed the “pay as you go” rule into law. Now, Congress will have to pay for what it spends, just like everybody else.

Pretty big talk isn’t it? I guess it’s okay to talk big about not taking your money frivolously when it’s in his political interests. But when he needs to swipe 34 billion dollars to buy five or six percent in the polls, he’s not all that interested in “responsibility for the future” or recognizing the “reality familiar to every American”, now is he?

Here is the real deal. The President could have his benefit extension tomorrow if Democrats dug into the more than $3 trillion budget and found it. I’m sure there are Mussel Research Programs and Federal office buildings whose construction could be delayed for another year to pay for their endless welfare program. But they won’t because it’s much easier to put the black hat on the Republicans than it is for them to live under the law they themselves passed.

I would suggest the President stop playing stupid political games and abide by the law he wanted so very badly five months ago. If he can’t find the money in his bloated, wasteful, corrupt budget then obviously he doesn’t care very much for the people who are out of work now because of his inept economic bungling.

(Read this post and more from Jimmie at his blog The Sundries Shack or listen to his weekly political and pop-culture podcast, The Delivery)

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

I f one senior Republican would simply question obama’s mental stability…I think we would see the damn burst…I really do.

winston on July 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Let me remind you what the President said about it in February.

The president suffers of Muenchhausen syndrome.

The Liar in chief has only one second, Mr. Pinocchio.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2010 at 3:52 PM

I’m starting to question if Obama really exists or not. Nothing that his image on TV says ever really happens.

Mojave Mark on July 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM

winston on July 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

All they need to know.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2010 at 3:54 PM

“I would suggest the President stop playing stupid political games and abide by the law he wanted so very badly five months ago.”

But that would involve character, maturity, honesty, and wisdom…

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on July 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM

winston

That has to be started by a Dem or the polarization will become too toxic.

snaggletoothie on July 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM

winston on July 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

All they need to know.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Yup! Combined with a belief that people cannot remember what they said yesterday and the accurate assumption that the MFM will not report it!

winston on July 18, 2010 at 4:00 PM

What do you expect from a man who thinks you need to “pay for a tax cut”? It’s that line of thinking that has been destroying this country.

ButterflyDragon on July 18, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Everything has an expiration date.

tommer74 on July 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Everything has an expiration date.

tommer74 on July 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM

January 20, 2013 is the one I’m waiting for, although the product is already spoiled.

Tommy_G on July 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I think he harbors a great deal of self-satisfaction when his lies are exposed because he got away with lying in the first place and in his warped mind, the pleasure comes when it dawns on his victims that they’ve been royally scr!wed.

betsyz on July 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM

betsyz on July 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM

..and there’s nothing that can be done until 2012.

thomasaur on July 18, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I understand your frustrations, but really, you people just dont “get it”. Rules, laws or even the words of his ownselfs choosing cannot be enough to hold back or against the ones vision. This man, (if such a definition even applies anymore) has a plan that will be realized, he will say what needs to be said and perform the miracles needed in order to see his plan to fruition. We will all thank him later, once we realize how he has changed our lives and country for the better.
Or I suppose its always possible, I guess, that he might just be a lying manchurian charlatan he** bent on destroying our economy and country from within. I dont know… (sigh)…which one “feels” right……..

Koa on July 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM

The problem is that the Thug-N-Chief says these things and you never hear the Repub’s stick up for themselves!

cmptrnerd on July 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Pay-Go??????

Hmmmmm, must’ve slipped his mind . . .

tpitman on July 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM

winston on July 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Is that something you really want to start while Nancy Pelosi is in the Presidential Line Of Succession?

trigon on July 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM

winston on July 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I don’t think that if a republican leader were to question Obama’s mental state it would lead to instantly hauling him off and putting him into a straight jacket.

It would be a slow, slow process, long after the gavel is wrested from Nancy’s vile fingers.

betsyz on July 18, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Pay Go is so….yesterday.
Remember, AOPHAED (All Obama Promises Have An Expiration Date).
This one was just a bit sooner than most others.

Amendment X on July 18, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Barry has a highly selective memory. Just ask him how many states there are.

GarandFan on July 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Koa on July 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Democratic strategists are working on the plan now and debating the name for it. Right now they are leaning towards calling it:
Miracles by Obama Inc. Chapters in all 57 states.

Basil Fawlty on July 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Thank you for this post.

MayBee on July 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM

*knock knock knock* Mr. President? *knock knock* Ahem. Perhaps someone needs to remind you that YOUR party controls Congress and the Executive Branch.

As you did with the Health Care monstrosity, you should look to your democrat cronies to pass whatever it is you’re shoving down the throats of America this week. If whatever it is is soooo fabbo, your fellow demmies shouldn’t have a problem voting for it, right?

What you seem to have forgotten in your haste to blame the GOP/Bush for everything is that your party has the votes to pass whatever you want. You did it with health care and other nasty legislation you thought was great, so stop blaming the party that can’t do squat for your failings.

That said, if you really believe you’re doing the right thing, your charisma and charm oughta bring your party in line, right? I mean, you’re always right and wonderful and all that, so what’s the big deal?

I say you stop whining, crying and blaming the GOP/Bush for everything that doesn’t go your way and get your house in line. After all, you’ve not got that much longer, Mr. President. Not much longer with a total control of Congress and not much longer to stay in the White House. Seems like you’d be better off with less bawling and crying and more actually doing something… but then that isn’t really your strong point, now is it? (Thank God. Thanks to your lack of action, we might just save this country after you’ve been booted out.)

P.S. This post was written by someone who loves the fact that this president is failing to get his way on many things. In fact, the writer thanks God every day this president is thwarted in ANYTHING. I just felt a need to point out the fact that times sure have changed since he was inaugurated and thought he could get his way on anything. Teehee.

Mad Mad Monica on July 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM

The Socialist/Marxist is surprised he hasn’t destroyed the country yet and needs more deficits and demons to do so!

The Obamas never took their kids on vacations when they were together making a half a million a year, him in the Senate voting present, even though he was not and her dumping poor hospital patients in the streets so other hospitals would have to pay for their care.
His budget was his and now that he has become ____ rich he flits them all over the world even flyin in the dog, the four legged one and parties hardy on the taxpayer dime!
it’s disgusting!

dhunter on July 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM

he remembers, he’s just hoping we forget about that little bill that they had to pass

cmsinaz on July 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM

“Me lie? Nah, I promised change, I just changed the promise”.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Obama and the democrats use “Pay as you Go” only when it can be used against the GOP and tax cuts. A sure way to determine when Obama,Biden,Pelsoi and Harry Reid are lying is to watch their lips. When the lips move- you know lies are about to happen.

flintstone on July 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Mr. Bise, Jr. makes a fantastic point:

Too bad I don’t see many elected Republicans making it.

mizzoujgrad on July 18, 2010 at 9:45 PM

“If somebody’s out of work right now, the only answer that I’m going to have for them is when they get a job. Up until that point, from their perspective, the economic policies aren’t working well enough,” he said in an interview with NBC News. “That’s my job — as president — is to take responsibility for moving us in the right direction and blame George W. Bush when I FUBAR the whole thing as Joe Biden often tells me is quite possible.”

Asked about Gibbs’s comments, Obama said: “This is going to be a choice between the policies that got us into this mess and my policies that are getting us out of this mess and into an even bigger mess down the road but, not to worry, I’ll blame the Republicans because I know the American people like having a “Magic Negro” as President which makes blaming other easy

J_Crater on July 19, 2010 at 12:40 AM

OBLAMA is an idiot. There is NO doubt about that.

griv on July 19, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Don’t be so harsh. He can’t be expected to remember everything the teleprompter has said.

The Reasonable Man on July 19, 2010 at 7:40 AM

If one senior Republican would simply question Obama’s mental stability…I think we would see the dam burst…I really do.

winston on July 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Interesting thought. They certainly questioned Reagan and George W Bush’s intelligences. We can at least do that. Would it have the desired effect you’re speaking about?

We know Obama was likely not worthy of the schools he got in, and there are no grades or class records to prove otherwise.

scotash on July 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM