Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on July 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

You know, I think that Barack Obama may finally have figured out this accountability thing after eighteen long months of blaming everything on his predecessor.  Yesterday, as Allahpundit noted, Obama acknowledged that voters would hold him accountable, and should, if the jobs numbers don’t start improving.  In fact, Obama even said the “A” word:

“It’s hard because you don’t see immediate gratification,” the president acknowledged Thursday. He said his message to people out of work was that his administration was doing everything possible to create an environment in which private sector jobs could expand.

“But I’m not any more satisfied than they are,” Obama said. “And until they can find a job, I expect to be held accountable.”

Immediate gratification?  Dude, you’ve been President for eighteen months.  You yourself promised that your $862 billion Porkulus plan would keep unemployment below 8%, and as this chart shows, that significant job growth would have already started in the previous two quarters:

But hey, that’s all right.  At least Obama finally acknowledged that he’s responsible for this mess, and stopped blaming George Bush for his — er, wait:

Americans, Obama said Thursday, don’t have a “selective memory.”

“They’re going remember the policies that got us into this mess as well,” Obama said, referring to the previous Republican administration. “And they sure as heck don’t want to go back to those.”

Oh, well.  Almost halfway through his term in office, and apparently no one has told Obama that he’s in charge, and has been for 18 months.

However, about the policies of the past and going back to them, PJTV’s Andrew Klavan has a few words to say about that, with an assist from the Media Research Center (via Newsalert):

Funny how all of those policies that Obama hated suddenly look a lot better once he got burned by his own. We’ll see if he learns the same lessons on economics, or at least on calendars and accountability.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day! Chris has started his annual fund drive, so be sure to visit the DBD site and keep DBD in action!

Comments

On-the-job training…

ted c on July 16, 2010 at 8:11 AM

“Did I do that?”

year_of_the_dingo on July 16, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Notice how that’s a cover for him, too. The media can’t have their assumed-to-be-dumb readers inartfully interpreting Obama.

rogerb on July 16, 2010 at 8:14 AM

I believe that vestage of resolve to be another instance of his Captain Kick-Ass persona.

I am amused by the need to specify that the POTUS wasn’t talking his own policies.

apostic on July 16, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Seeing the comparisons side-by-side via the video really does put it into perspective. I especially liked the 60′s era “beach blanket” scenes for Recovery Summer. For someone who is so “progressive”, Obama and his administration sure want to revisit the past a lot. Most of their playbook is straight from FDR and the 30′s. Occasionally they modernize it with a visit from Bill Clinton—complete with most of his staff. It’s so 20th century!

texabama on July 16, 2010 at 8:19 AM

The Accountability Audacity of Hopey!!

canopfor on July 16, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Klavan’s Klip was outstanding! Especially the “appointing David Pstraeus to surge the troops!”

Selective memory indeed, by the lap dog media.

rightside on July 16, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I guess it all depends on how you see things. I got this email this morning and I think it fits very well with this….

A young couple moves into a new neighborhood.
The next morning while they are eating breakfast and

the young woman sees her neighbor hanging the wash outside.
“That laundry is not very clean”, she said.
“She doesn’t know how to wash correctly.
Perhaps she needs better laundry soap.”

Her husband looked on, but remained silent..

Every time her neighbor would hang her wash to dry,
the young woman would make the same comments.

About one month later, the woman was surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and said to her husband:

“Look, she has learned how to wash correctly.
I wonder who taught her this.”

The husband said, “I got up early this morning and
cleaned our windows.”

And so it is with life. What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look.

I think it is time for Barry to wash his windows.

milwife88 on July 16, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Its a rather condescending view of the public,

rob verdi on July 16, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Speaking of accountability,Hopey sure does like that
phrase!!!
==========================================================

Obama: Wall St reform will foster accountability

WASHINGTON, July 15 (Reuters) – President Barack Obama hailed congressional passage on Thursday of a sweeping overhaul of Wall Street regulations, saying it will provide greater financial security to Americans and would foster accountability.

canopfor on July 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Love the media comparisons.

Cindy Munford on July 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM

For once I’d love someone, anyone in the state run media to ask him which policies specifically he’s referring to. Tax cuts? Ok, eliminate them already. Don’t wait til 2011. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Bring the troops home today. Overspending? Cut the budget in half(and no, not just in the Defense Dept.).

The guy’s seemingly sitting down for an interview every day yet no one ever bothers to ask him to elaborate on this.

Doughboy on July 16, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Perhaps the LSM should tell him a real job comes with all those Perks.

TimBuk3 on July 16, 2010 at 8:32 AM

“Err, by being accountable I mean I’ll take responsibility for what Bush has done.”

Caper29 on July 16, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Remember when Axelrod and Summers were going around saying the positive effects of the stimulus would be felt immediately?

forest on July 16, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Obama’s Accountability Abyss!!

canopfor on July 16, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Yet Obama still sees the November election as a referendum on the policies of George Bush.

I hope he is in for a big surprise.

Dhuka on July 16, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Obama now:

Obama then:

That is why I have moved quickly to work with my economic team and leaders of both parties on an American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan that will immediately jumpstart job creation and long-term growth.

forest on July 16, 2010 at 8:40 AM

He gave the Democraps the rope and they hanged themselves.When the Republicans fix the mess the Dems created,the “I expect to be held accountable” becomes”Look how well I fixed the mess Bush created.”
It’s Clinton all over again.Do nothing,throw your own under the bus,let the Republicans do the work,and then take credit for the fix.
Most of those people who now say”I’m sorry I voted for Obama”,will be singing his praises a year from now.The Green Bubble economy is going to look good,until it collapses,just like Clinton’s Tech Bubble and Housing Bubbles economies.
The only tranparency in this administration is how tranparently Bambi is following the Clenis playbook.

DDT on July 16, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Didn’t they keep saying over and over that as soon as Porkulus was passed the benefits would be immediate? We would be seeing jobs created all over the place and people would be able to get loans right away, and the economy would rebound nearly overnight. What happened with all that stuff?

Johnnyreb on July 16, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I doubt it. Dear Liar has been steeped in marxist philosophy and while He’s more fascist than socialist He still does not have a fundamental understanding of economics or America.

rbj on July 16, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Well, if he is going to keep blaming Bush, it’s a good thing that he wasn’t in Congress at all during the Bush years or he might have to…

myrenovations on July 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Transparency and Open Government
===================================

My Administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in Government. We will work together to ensure the public trust and establish a system of transparency, public participation, and collaboration. Openness will strengthen our democracy and promote efficiency and effectiveness in Government.

Government should be transparent. Transparency promotes accountability and provides information for citizens about what their Government is doing.

canopfor on July 16, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Waitaminute — isn’t “It’s hard because you don’t see immediate gratification” like a variation of “Americans are spoiled” per Bill Press?

Coincidence?

apostic on July 16, 2010 at 8:48 AM

The trouble with those imaginary jobs is that they come with an imaginary salary.

RBMN on July 16, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Of course, Øbummer will remind us, being the Great World Citizen that he is, of that famous Santayana quotation “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it….” WAIT! That one isn’t working out quite right, lemme try again.
Let’s try that famous French wit and philosopher Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr, “The more things change the more they remain the same.” UH oh, problems there, too.
How about Joe Wilson, the Congressman from South Carolina not the ambassador husband of Valerie Plame, and I quote:

YOU LIE !

ExpressoBold on July 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Every time Obama passes gas outa the lower end of his alimentary cannel half the blogosphere goes into deep analysis mode with panel discussions and symposia to grasp the significance while a few of us try to open windows to air out the stink.

Skandia Recluse on July 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM

The last republican economy/budget was 2006. 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 were all democrat budgets. Bush did not even see the 2009 budget because democrats refused to vote on it before the election (just like this year) becaue they were arfraid of kick-back at the polls. Obama signed it after he came into office.

So we are not 18 months into democrat control; this is the fourth year.

In 2006 unemployment was 4.6 and the deficit was 167 billion. Here we are after three and a half years of democrat budgets we have real unemployment at 16% and a deficit that is close to 2 trillion dollars. That is about 15 times the last republican deficit.

recklessprocess on July 16, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Newsflash! Obama appoints ACCOUNTABILITY CZAR! First report due in mid-November.

Rovin on July 16, 2010 at 8:57 AM

So,the Czar of Accountability wants to know,
Barack,what did you do with the 1,000,000
jobs,you promised,at the football stadium,
the night,that you strutted around your Roman
Temple Pillars of Perpetual Hope and NeverEnd
ing Change of your Democrat nominee for POTUSA!!
(sarc).

canopfor on July 16, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Dude, you’ve been President for eighteen months.

Uh oh, I think AP’s rubbing off on someone!

abobo on July 16, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Rovin on July 16, 2010 at 8:57

Rovin: D*mmit,I was three minutes late!!:)

canopfor on July 16, 2010 at 9:01 AM

“…I expect to be held accountable.”

Don’t worry. You will be.

Kafir on July 16, 2010 at 9:04 AM

apostic on July 16, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Exactly. A little editorial assist from the SRM.

conservative pilgrim on July 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM

OT: Earthquake shakes DC this morning?

conservative pilgrim on July 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Wait til he brags about the financial reform bill. It’s going to take us all the way back to the 30′s, when we bread lines and soup kitchens. Look for union power to increase, food and gas shortages, and a lack of medical services. This is the change dear leader promised.

Kissmygrits on July 16, 2010 at 9:14 AM

But there are millions and millions of jobs out there, aren’t there Mr. President? You and your administration keep saying you’ve created millions and millions of jobs. So if that were true, why haven’t the unemployment numbers decreased? Are you accountable for there not being jobs, or for creating millions of them? You can’t be both can you?

scalleywag on July 16, 2010 at 9:16 AM

RBMN on July 16, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Hmmmm…

Imaginary salaries
Never will go down
When all the others start going away
They’ll rebound…

Nahhhh….

apostic on July 16, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I laughed; I cried!

But…

Did he have to be so rident?

I kept looking for oil on the beach.

They left off the fact that there are so many jobs, the administration had to break election laws looking for applicants who were running against good progressives..

What a summer!

IlikedAUH2O on July 16, 2010 at 9:22 AM

If 650,000 leave the job market every month that projection just might come true. Otherwise another time the POTUS is blowing smoke up our collective ass.

jukin on July 16, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I thought he wasn’t going to rest until all of these problems were solved…

“Hey, Maine? You’ve got a lot of golf courses here, don’t you?”

Fallon on July 16, 2010 at 9:28 AM

OT: Earthquake shakes DC this morning?

conservative pilgrim on July 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Ok, so now the elections will be canceled because DC’s been hit by an earthquake.

mr.blacksheep on July 16, 2010 at 9:33 AM

OT: Earthquake shakes DC this morning?

conservative pilgrim on July 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM

conservative pilgrim: Its a sign,ahem!!!

canopfor on July 16, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Its a sign,ahem!!!

canopfor on July 16, 2010 at 9:44 AM

It is odd, huh?

conservative pilgrim on July 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM

It’ll be fun in 2012 when our guys get to constantly talk about the failed policies of the previous administration.

Little lib heads going “pop, pop, pop!”

CurtZHP on July 16, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I warned all the young people around me that were swooning over Obama that he was otu of his league and would be a disaster. Liberals, however, don’t as much listen to reason as they do to their hearts. My heart tells me he’s hip and cool, and by golly- I want to do something good by voting a black president into office. Make me feel better about the terrible history of my ancestors.

Ugh.

TheBlueSite on July 16, 2010 at 10:55 AM

This video needs to go viral on the Net… and soon!!!

College Prof on July 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I had more money and collegues during the previous administration! In the past 18 months, my payroll has been reduced, zero new hires, and layoffs. Obama’s policies are hurting small business and fueling unemployment. I don’t give a damn what the ‘experts’ say about our economy; I know too many people who are worried about the lousy job market.

If the $1 TRILLION Stimulus was so great; why did the Democrats/Obama have to invent (Create/Save) a new way of counting JOBS?

TN Mom on July 16, 2010 at 11:24 AM

2010 Summer of Recovery

2010 Democrat-Caused Depression

TN Mom on July 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Heritage had a write up about the Porkulus promise of 2.5 million later revised to 3.5 million job creation forecast. At the time the promise was made there were 135.1 million jobs. 135.1 million + 3.5 million equal 138.6 million. Where are we as of June 30, 2010 130.5 million jobs. He is down 8.1 million jobs at this point. Maybe someone in the LSM will ask him to explain the math discrepancy.

chemman on July 16, 2010 at 11:30 AM

canopfor on July 16, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I’m sure he just misspoke. Given his great Ivy League education he really meant to say totally opaque. Since those terms really have to do with science and light transmission he probably never learned what they meant. He was just using a vocabulary word he thought was cool.

chemman on July 16, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I’ve always wondered what the last 8 years of George Bush’s economic policies were. No one ever explains them. I guess I am supposed to know.
It must have been those silly tax cuts and that check we all got that has them in such an uproar. And especially all of those jobs that were created–not saved. Stuck on stupid!

BetseyRoss on July 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Johnnyreb on July 16, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Well….the fact that those things didn’t come about, tells us all we need to know. It’s Bush’s fault! *sigh*

capejasmine on July 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Now the ass is taking full accountability for plugging the hole.

“Malia and Sasha, daddy plugged the hole. Let’s go on vacation”.

Schadenfreude on July 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Stuck on stupid!
BetseyRoss on July 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM

But without those Bush economic policies it could have been much worse!
We could have seen Unemployment as high as 10.2%!

DSchoen on July 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM

You’re killing him with those curvy things, Ed!

ya2daup on July 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM