Romney advisor on Palin: “She’s not a serious human being”

posted at 6:34 pm on July 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

Huckabee’s taken potshots at her from time to time, but between this fusillade from unnamed Mitt advisors and the furious counterattack on Romney at Conservatives 4 Palin, I’d say that the 2012 primary is now, at long last, officially on.

In the immortal words of Greg Stillson, “The missiles are flying. Hallelujah.”

Still, few express much regard for Palin’s ultimate chances. One adviser to Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, and, by traditional standards, the putative 2012 frontrunner, says of Palin, “She’s not a serious human being.” Another Romney intimate warns, “If she’s standing up there in a debate and the answers are more than 15 seconds long, she’s in trouble.”

One of the most experienced Republican national political operatives in the country suggests that while Palin might be envied and sleek, she lacks the endurance required for a protracted nomination fight. “She’s like a cheetah. She can run really fast, but not really long.” In the end, this school of thought about Palin goes, she is too polarizing to be seen as likely to beat Barack Obama, and Republicans will be too hungry in 2012 to risk nominating someone who could cost the party the White House — maybe even in a landslide…

Such a disjointed field can only provide more encouragement for Palin.
And nothing would make the White House happier. The President’s political advisers, troubled by the weak economy and Obama’s image as a big spender, are more worried than he is about re-election and more worried than they let on publicly. Obama himself has told people that he believes the Tea Party movement will still be going strong in 2012, leaving the party to go into battle against an incumbent with a candidate too far right to win. In fact, the President’s advisers believe that if Palin is the nominee, New York’s billionaire mayor, Michael Bloomberg, could enter the race as an independent, scrambling all the conventional rules yet again.

Bloomberg as a self-funded stalking horse for his pal Barry intent on taking down the GOP? Why, that sounds … entirely plausible, actually. As for the nastiness about her being unserious, righties as respected as Krauthammer and George Will have made the same point. And I’ve noted before myself that, given the media’s obsession with painting her as a female Quayle, she’d have to be virtually perfectly on the trail for more than a year to avoid that narrative. The tiniest, most innocent flub — think Bush being quizzed on the names of foreign diplomats — will be hyped into the second coming of the Katie Couric interview, with the press breathlessly insisting that no sane person would vote for such a doofus. Can she be that perfect on the trail? Can any human being, including Barack “Bitterly cling to guns and religion” Obama?

Follow the link and read all of that piece, actually, if only for the bit about Bush and Cheney both reportedly pushing their old pal Mitch Daniels to GOP movers and shakers. Given the reviving influence of Team Dubya over the party’s establishment, I wouldn’t underestimate Daniels’s ability to burst out of obscurity quickly via a huge push from prominent Republican donors and groups. And speaking of quick bursts, more on Palin from Mark Halperin:

She would be the only woman against a half-dozen or more Republican men. As long as she leaves the door to a race open, she can freeze the field, prevent other GOP hopefuls from gaining much traction, keep the media in a perpetual will-she-or-won’t-she frenzy and jump into the race whenever she likes. That would be impossible for an ordinary candidate, but Palin could splash in as late as November 2011, just a few months before the voting begins. There is no deadline for signing up for the Iowa caucuses, and when it comes to competing in early-state contests, she will have a far easier time than any previous insurgent. Her candidacy would require almost none of the usual time sinks that force politicians to jump in early: power-broker schmoozing, schedule-intensive fundraising, competitive recruitment of experienced strategists, careful policy development. She would have immediate access to cash, with even small Internet donations likely bringing in millions.

Fred Thompson splashed into the last primary late, but not as late as November. Then again, Fred wasn’t the grassroots phenomenon that Palin is and he suffered from the perception that his late start was due to him not caring quite as much about winning as the rest of the field. That wouldn’t be the case with Palin; her late entry would be seen as calculated for dramatic effect, which would probably give her boost. And the point about small donations is well taken: Romney’s PAC has dwarfed hers in fundraising so far this year, but according to the Globe, most of the money’s come from events and large donors. By contrast, three-quarters of SarahPAC’s haul came from small donors. That’s not good news for her in terms of raw numbers — Mitt can almost certainly use big-money bundlers to crush whatever amount she’d rake in from grassroots contributors — but the media will go bonkers for a storyline about plucky blue-collar conservatives trying to propel Palin to victory against the Romney fortune one five-dollar donation at a time. And of course, that media coverage will be worth millions in itself. Remember: The default press narrative in 2012 will be Palin vs. Anti-Palin, with the task for Romney, Daniels, or whoever emerges as her nemesis to try to embody the good qualities the Anti-Palin is supposed to have — smart, competent, experienced — while avoiding the bad ones (elitist, white-collar, uncharismatic). As such, they’d better be awfully careful with how far they push the condescension towards her, especially given the potential alluded to by Halperin for gender politics to enter this race.

For what it’s worth, former McCain associate Mark McKinnon thinks she’s going to run even though neither she nor the country are ready for it. Note well his point at the end about what a Palin loss in the primary would mean; given the fervor her supporters are known for and the likelihood that the race will turn nasty, he’s totally right about the possibility of devastating party divisions in the general election. Exit question: Some Palin critics are speculating that the Bristol/Levi tabloid wedding announcement was secretly blessed by Sarah. Um, given the fact that her alleged unseriousness is already a major political liability for her, why on earth would she do that?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Romney is simply the next McCain. A politician pushed on us by wise people that have integrity //sarc

Romneycare, RomneyCare, ROMNEYCARE!!!

That’s all you really need to know. But you can add to it this constant sniping and mud throwing. Don’t bash Palin, don’t tell us why to not vote for her, tell us why to vote for you. I’m waiting ….. waiting …..

Because the MSM thinks you have electability? Oh yeah we’re gonna fall for that one again.

odannyboy on July 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Obama has a Facebook page too, but it’s campaign crap from his lackeys, it is almost never him writing there. This is her, personal. It is working.

Brian1972 on July 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I go to that obama FB page and read the comments just for kicks. I have never seen so many unintelligent, illiterate fools in one place. Even those ‘coffee party’ clowns are more literate.
And, in all those thousands of comments I’ve read, I’ve come to some conclusions:
1) A good plurality of the ‘members’ are foreigners.
2) There are significant numbers of anti-obama people there.
3) There appears to be multiple cross-posts, wor for word, between topics.
My assessment is the place stinks of astroturf.
But it should be required reading for conservative-minded people.

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM

notropis on July 15, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Nixon’s win in 1972 was HUGE.
People forget that.
Which is what makes the Left’s bloodless coup called Watergate even more evil.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM

And I agree. She’s far too polarizing, and her unfavorables are incredible. Obama’s are now, too, and likely still will be by 2012 (barring some miraculous turnaround), but even so, I’d hate for 2012 to come down to a coin toss for independents, deciding the election based upon voting for the person they find just slightly less repugnant than the other person.

I’m not sure what is meant by “she’s not a serious person”. If they mean that Palin isn’t serious about winning……I would agree. I have a firm theory about her: I think she will run, but I don’t really believe at this point that her heart is necessarily in it to win. Because I don’t think that’s her true motive: I think she’ll run, because the opportunity is there for her to do so, but in the end I don’t really think she cares about being president. She DOES care about becoming a conservative icon (even more so than she is now, that is), and running will only add to that. If she runs and loses, why, the sympathy from her supporters alone would propel her for years, and she can content herself with fundraising and speaking gigs and Fox News shows all she wants, knowing that she’s secure as conservative legend.

I think she’s all about building “the Palin brand”. Not necessarily winning the Presidency.

Vyce on July 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM

If I was anyone working for Romney, I wouldn’t be attacking Palin. I would be asking her if Romney could hitch his wagon to her star. Romney doesn’t get the base very excited or hasn’t anyone noticed?

Palin on the other hand, there must be a reason Allah puts up so many Palin post….Romney? Only when it has something to do with Palin :)

Dr Evil on July 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Keep flapping, Romney RINO campaign stooges.

Philly on July 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I think God called her to the full time job of taking care of a special kid.

PrezHussein on July 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I’m sure Mom will tell you about women and multi-tasking.

katy the mean old lady on July 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Mitt Romney is a flip flopper who isn’t going to make it out of primaries.

Screw those establishments hacks!

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I don’t know if you missed what’s going on with BP but they ain’t doing nothing in Alaska for a good long while.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM

What about Conoco Phillips, Exxon Mobil and TransCanada?

They are not doing anything either?

I don’t believe you. It will all be public soon enough, and we will see.

Brian1972 on July 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM

2010 Palin Campaign Ad – Mama Grizzles

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM

tigerlily on July 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Didn’t say her content wasn’t worthy. I mentioned the format.

Hey, didn’t I speak to you in another thread? I coulda sworn…

Bee on July 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Vyce on July 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Bullcrap.
Total bullcrap.

Brian1972 on July 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Yes, it’s been so ineffective for Sarah. For example, she should never have used facebook to rock the world with laserlike truth – something about “death panels” ….

tigerlily on July 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Indeed.
Let’s not forget that Oilbama himself replied to the “death panels” remarks and actually, is still doing so, particularly with his recess appointment of “Death Panels” Berwick!

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM

What about Conoco Phillips, Exxon Mobil and TransCanada?

They are not doing anything either?

I don’t believe you. It will all be public soon enough, and we will see.

Brian1972 on July 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I’ll tell you what’s going to happen, nothing. This open season will fail and so will the next. Get over it.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Also, IF Romney, etal are so great where are they? In their bunkers, shaking with fear while Sarah takes “the Bomber” on daily on our behalf.

This.

With a single FaceBook page Sarah has caused no end of grief for Obowma and his Marxist ilk. Like someone else already mentioned, why do you suppose she lives in Obowma’s head rent free? Because he and his handlers (puppeteers?) know who the real threat to him and his agenda is. And it ain’t Mitt (“The Phantom“) Romney…

Battlecruiser-operational on July 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Umm they have a huge area called the Kuparuk pool. Hmmm. I guess youdidn’t know that. They helped build the transalaska pipleine. Hmmm another dead end for you.

BP also does quite a bit of sponsering of “volunteer” orgs as well as have quite a few interns.

FYI.. you don’t know shiite about Alaska. So stop while you are ahead with your BS. God you are annoying.

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM

or it will succeed and magically ponies will appear.

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Oh yes, it’s been one big joke.

I see you once again do not back up your assertions with any kind of evidence beyond you saying so.

You’re wrong. Get over it.

Brian1972 on July 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Archance is that you?

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Open season? Are you talking the liberty project which the Feds can’t take away since half of it is on State land.

As I said earlier. youdon’t know crap. Boy.

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I meant with a natural gas pipeline as if you couldn’t figure that out.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM

God you are annoying.

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM

LOL!
You are so cute and funny, upinak!

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Here’s how Palin becomes president.

If she spends next year locked in a room with a bunch of GOP Policy figures as well operatives learning what she needs to know.

She needs to be prepared for a national campaign by savvy people and then maybe she can pull it off.

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM

You must be joking. She already has a small group of policy advisers and over the last few months in FB posts and speeches and interviews has been positioning herself policywise. The fact that she is now an obviously serious contender within a twelvemonth of being declared politically dead by most pundits after her resignation is proof that she is an extremely savvy contender.
She is not a conventional politician – she is a force of nature who will follow her own path and quite willing to upset the right as well as the left – as she did in Alaska…its called leadership you dont learn that from a bunch of GOP hacks….

callingallcomets on July 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM

lowandslow is getalife. I’ve come to that conclusion. It got rid of a couple of its catchprases.

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM

As I said earlier. youdon’t know crap. Boy.

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM

No open season on the pipeline that ends July 31, do you even know what’s going on in your own state?

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I meant with a natural gas pipeline as if you couldn’t figure that out.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM

She knows and told you that you were totally wrong!
Did you fail reading comprehension, too?
(Typical Lib trait.)
Yes, you’re low and slow alright.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I meant with a natural gas pipeline as if you couldn’t figure that out.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Which YOU STILL don’t know ANYTHING about!

What others are involved with the NGP? DO you know? Did you know it has SMALL entities with it miving WITH BP, Conoco, Exxon and so on?

And since you know SO MUCH about Alaska and BP and the oil comps. Please tell me who was the first company that started man made islands to DRILL?

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I totally agree, Sharr!
I often think that McCain lost the election on purpose.
He didn’t even try to win.
And just when Sarah would get some momentum going, he’d kill it.
It still makes me upset and crazy to remember it!

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Yeah I’d be screaming at the TV FIGHT! FIGHT! And he’s half heartedly standup for Sarah when she got a good zinger in that clearly resonated.

Losing on purpose is the only thing that makes sense.

Can someone define “A Serious human being”? I sure would love to know how one quantifies that.

Sharr on July 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM

You do realize there are 4 different OPEN SEASONS!

Oil
Gas
Hunting
Fishing
Should I go on? are you that DENSE. When you say Open Season…. it could be for so many different things. It is obvious that you think you know something… when you don’t.

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I love how you guys like to play your childish games, I’ve been here from the beginning yet for you guys that use these site for someone to talk to think you know everyone and everything. You don’t know sh*t.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Is there some sort of bleach or douche or SOMETHING to get rid of this one. Do we really need to keep hearing what this nancyboy has to say? He did such a fantastically fantastic job in 2008. /s

HornetSting on July 15, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I agree, jeez if you’ve EPICALLY FAILED you should SHUT UP.

SgtSVJones on July 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

AP I am not sure you can say it’s on quite yet. I mean we have the anonymous Romney sources but a rebuttal from C4P is not the same as a missile strike from Palin or one of her advisors. Named or unnamed. When Palin or someone from her camp resonds then I think you can claim that it’s on between the two candidates.

While you spared C4P the usual snark this time I still don’t understand your dislike for C4P. Have they wronged you in the past? Written something nasty about you in particular? Maybe they are easy targets. It is strange because you never mention Dan Rheil with the same kind of snarkiness as you normally do when discussing C4P. I know Dan has written about you before. In fact Dan kicked you around like a rented mule about a month or so ago and I didn’t hear one peep out of you about it. Of course, I could have missed it. Just seems strange that you could battle mano o mano with Dan Rheil instead of using your rapier wit on a Palin fan site. Seems odd, but maybe it’s just me.

For all of the commenters who claim Palin is not smart enough, slow on her feet, and won’t be able to debate her brilliant, powerful GOP opponents then you should want her to run. How sweet would it be to watch her get embarrassed and humiliated on stage. I would think the prospects of that along with the knowledge that you could rub it in the face of the ‘Palin cult’ would mean you would encourage a run from her. I don’t understand the constant calls for her to sit this one out. If she is that weak then a Palin run would be pure comedy gold and an opportunity to shove it right back in the face of the Palinistas. What am I missing?

chief on July 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Were we discussing hunting or fishing or oil? Or were we talking about the natural gas pipeline? Try to keep up.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I guess you don’t like to be called to the floor. Don’t like it, then leave.

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM

You don’t know sh*t.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

The beginning of what, dilwad?

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:26 PM

She knows and told you that you were totally wrong!

Totally wrong about what? She’s the one that butted in without having a clue.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I guess you don’t like to be called to the floor. Don’t like it, then leave.

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM

We were talking about the natural gas pipelines open season that ends soon, did you know that? Do you know it will fail? Do you know anything?

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:29 PM

The beginning of what, dilwad?

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Jump on over to AoSHQ, I’d love to talk to you.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Only slightly off topic.
A primary challenge to Obama would be umm sweet. Never happen as it would be a strategic admittance he’s not all knowing and wise and would, in the end also tarnish the “winner” since it would be the Democrats petty much saying: “Yeah these last 4 years have been a dud. Can we have a do over? This time we’ll let Hillary win.” or better yet a “reset button”.

That won’t fly with the electorate.
Though, it would weaken Obama which I’m all in favor of.

Sharr on July 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM

chief on July 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I’ve been asking the same basic question.

What are you afraid of?

If you’re right, then there is nothing to worry about, it will all be over rather quickly.

But if you are wrong, then the possibilities are intriguing…..

Brian1972 on July 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Jump on over to AoSHQ, I’d love to talk to you.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I can’t believe they haven’t run you off Ace’s place.
That don’t put with up utter horsesh*t posters over there!
(unlike here! LOL)

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I can’t believe they haven’t run you off Ace’s place.
That don’t put with up utter horsesh*t posters over there!
(unlike here! LOL)

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Why do you people do that? What do you even know of AoSHQ? They run off people? You don’t anything about the place then say stuff like that. Why? What do get out of that?

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Jump on over to AoSHQ, I’d love to talk to you.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM

You troll there as well? What a pathetic fool. *childvoice* “Jump on over to Ace… I’d love to talk to you”.

My, but you’re big, bad and scary!

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:38 PM

That don’t put with up utter horsesh*t posters over there!
(unlike here! LOL)

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Actually, Jen, I don’t think Ace bans anyone.

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM

My, but you’re big, bad and scary!

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:38 PM

So you won’t do it? Wow that’s a shock. That’s alright, you just stay here with your little internet friends and imagined intellect.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I’m going to have to swear off these election drama threads or I will be suicidal. Politicians are just walking cliches and those who have possible substance are destroyed by the media. I am underwhelmed.

Cindy Munford on July 15, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Once again Mitt is doing what he does best – using surrogates to attack while he runs for cover.

bw222 on July 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Bingo. Gutlessness is not presidential.

ddrintn on July 15, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Awesome. This comes out the same day as the PPP poll? Coincidence? Hmmn.

I’ll put my money on the broken ankle, championship point guard All.Day.Long.

CTSherman on July 15, 2010 at 8:46 PM

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM

No, I’ve got three windows open, and I really don’t have time for your ‘tough behind the computer screen’ act.
Why not stay at Ace’s, since you must be so well liked over there?

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Always be mindful. They savaged her, not because they figured they were doing us some good, they did it because and continue to do so because they see her as genuine and a threat to their continued power.

Sharr on July 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Yep. Palin represents mobilized and motivated conservatives. Democrats naturally hate the very thought of that, but large swaths of the Republican party do too. There must never, ever be anything resembling a Reagan again. Ever.

ddrintn on July 15, 2010 at 8:50 PM

And laughable.

ddrintn on July 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Actually, Jen, I don’t think Ace bans anyone.

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM

That’s not what I was saying…it’s the other commenters who would torment the half-wit verbally until he left, whimpering and crying!

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Sorry guys, its true. Accept it.

Yes, she has gotten more unfair attacks than ANY public figure over the last 2 years. Period. Guys like Andrew Sullivan are scoundrels. However, unfair attacks DOES NOT equal quality candidate.

I know it’s heresy to say in some conservative circles, but here goes: She CANNOT take a challenging interview. She CANNOT debate. It’s amazing to me that anyone could challenge this.

HDFOB on July 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I don’t believe you were around for that debate with Biden. There were more than 300 of us here at HotAir while the debate was going on. I so wished that we were all together. Awesome drinking games, I thought the chat was gonna crash, and if you remember (perhaps not), a poll revealed that Sarah won by 70%.

I can’t wait for an O debate.

ProudPalinFan on July 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I am sure this has been said, so I’m not taking credit, but anyone… Romney, Huck, Pawlenty, they’d all have to be absolute freakin’ idiots to say or allow to be said on their behalf anything condescending about Palin. No Republican candidate for president can get elected if he alienates the Palin Republicans. It won’t even be close.

I didn’t think Romney was an idiot. Time for a second look?

Immolate on July 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Any candidate that has to “burst out of obscurity” due to the imprimatur of the “Establishment” means Obama gets his second term. There has to be some voter enthusiasm for something other than an anti-Obama vote.

ddrintn on July 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Dr Evil on July 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Dude? Romney had nearly 14 people standing in line for nearly 6 minutes for a book signing just a few months ago….
Romney is on FIRE!

Amadeus on July 15, 2010 at 8:58 PM

And laughable.

ddrintn on July 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Is there a bigger tool on the political scene than Bloomberg, except for Mitt or Newt, perhaps?

I totally agree with your comments about the establishment never letting another political figure resembling Reagan happen, too.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I think she’s all about building “the Palin brand”. Not necessarilyin order to winning the Presidency.

Vyce on July 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM

FIFY.

alwaysfiredup on July 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I didn’t think Romney was an idiot. Time for a second look?

Immolate on July 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM

You know, you’ve just raised a very interesting point.
Hmmm…I do believe you’re onto something there.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM

“She’s not a serious human being.”

Good. Gravitas is overrated.

Good. After 15 seconds, the average politician is just blowing smoke.

So let’s sum up: Palin isn’t a pretentious twit prone to bloviating. Good for her.

Bill Ramey on July 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Way to tackle the issues, Romney. It’s clear you’re the candidate of “substance.”

RedRedRice on July 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Anybody who thinks that the GOP has changed one iota from its disgraceful big government, big spending, semi-socialist ways that led to electoral disasters in 2006 and 2008 needs to re-read this post. The Whigs of the GOP will never learn, they haven’t changed a bit,and the country will never turn away from socialism and back to its Constitutional roots so long as the WHIG-GOP is the “opposition” party.

Cons and Tea Partiers need to take Whig scalps everywhere they can, and flush the Romney scum from the party, before they can take on the Socialists.

james23 on July 15, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I will defend this one human being and risk loseing the world

swimcoachmike on July 15, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Lemme ask you a question, Jen. Do you go over to the kozbats or huffpo and comment?

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Whatever Palin’s strengths or weaknesses are at this point, Romney’s staff and thus Romney come off looking petty by making these statements. Another strike against him. First, the RINO label (deserved) and second, pettyness TWO years before the campaign. Mitt doesn’t look appealing to me at all at this point. He and his staff should be focusing on why we should support him, not why we should not support Palin. These statements are Obama-esque. Palin must scare the he!! out everybody for this stuff to be leaking out at this point in time.

JimP on July 15, 2010 at 9:12 PM

The GOP’s Elite Message team has seized upon its theme for victory in 2010 and 2012:
Repeal Romneycare; Elect Mitt Romney!!

Hey, that’s why they pay Mikey Steele the big bucks.

james23 on July 15, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Frankly, I don’t think Sarah Palin has a chance in hell in 2012. I’m more concerned that her running that soon will blow any chance we have of defeating Obama in his reelection bid.

But I would vote for her over Obama any day. I just hope the majority of Conservatives will come to that same conclusion in 2012 should she win the primaries. She may not be ready and may not be presidential material, but anyone with Conservative values would be better than Obama, for sure.

KendraWilder on July 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Hey, unnamed Romney ops:

What we’ve got here is two people, ONE is leading the fight against Big Zero and Nanny Nancy’s Mob. The OTHER signs your pay checks.

SuperCool on July 15, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I thought Romney had more class than to hire loud-mouth fools willing to speak ‘off the record’ to get on the record…

As for Bloomberg: that will split the Left, not the Right.

ajacksonian on July 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Me, I’m more worried the establishment both from the Right and Left we foist another “acceptable” and “presidential” candidate upon us. Since, you know how well that works out.

The one that riles the establishment up the most, does so not because they’re not “ready” whatever that means… and I really don’t know what that means, I most I can tell is “not a DC insider”. They do it because they are able to get stuff done and upset the going along and getting along.

Sharr on July 15, 2010 at 9:24 PM

She may not be ready and may not be presidential material, .

KendraWilder on July 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

What parameters are you using to define “ready” and “presidential material?”
The MSM’s?

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM

No, because I know I’d be banned immediately.
I’ve heard what’s happened to many other conservatives and Republicans that tried it.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

In the immortal words of Greg Stillson, “The missiles are flying. Hallelujah.”

The reason I could never fully accept the image of Martin Sheen portraying the President on The Left Wing. Man, that was a chilling scene in The Dead Zone.

Doughboy on July 15, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I think this is incredibly stupid on Romney’s part… why illicit a response from a group like C4P, which is my second homepage, that totally evicerates Romney. They have reponded with videos that show him flip flopping for years, they destroy him with RomneyCare and the Bear in the Woods video humiliates him… Why provoke a response that is so bad for you? Why antogonize her large and loyal following? What if Sarah doesn’t run for office again? Does he think we’ll ever transfer our support to him? Great team he has there… Does he think he can pre-emptively take her out? Obama and Soros tried and made her bigger!

The internal polling the Hatefilled Left does on Sarah Palin muust show her surging in popularity or why else would they be ramping up their attacks on her? I’ve never seen anything like it… Not even with Bush!

CCRWM on July 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Thanks to HotAir, it finally compelled me to answer the spammy calls I keep getting from a 202 number — the RNC.

I told them politely I will not continue my support of the RNC and will give directly to SarahPAC and candidates Sarah Palin supports — and that I personally support, regardless of party — until the RNC shows active support for Sarah Palin and the work she is doing to elect responsible fiscal conservatives in 2012.

I also added that I hope the RNC privately condemns Mitt Romney for such statements as those I’ve recently read (thanks, AP! ♥)

I thanked the telefundraiser for her call, jsyk.

lansing quaker on July 15, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Here’s how Palin becomes president.

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM

And how do we know she isn’t already doing this? She resigned from the governor’s office a year ago. Since then we know from her own words that she’s getting daily briefings from people in DC. She’s spent tons of time holed up in Alaska when she’s not out stumping for candidates or giving speeches. I’m sure it’s not just family time up there. Look at her Facebook posts. She’s studying up on the issues, solidifying the agenda she plans on pitching to the nation, and juxtaposing it with what Obama’s doing.

She did just fine when O’Reilly and Chris Wallace interviewed her months ago. Granted they’re FoxNews guys, but they did not go easy on her. I think the woman’s gonna surprise a lot of people(especially in the lamestream media) if/when she does announce her candidacy. When she sits down for those interviews with the likes of Couric, Williams, and Stephy, I’ll bet good money she’s gonna steamroll them.

Doughboy on July 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM

No, because I know I’d be banned immediately.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Be honest. Regardless of fear of banning, you really would not be able to stand a passel of idiots for more than ten seconds.
Idiots like our friend lowandslow are masochistic. They really enjoy abuse, and most know they aren’t gonna change opinions.
But there is a reason why trolls infest our sites at a much greater rate. Somewhere, inside them, is the desire to get away from the idiocy of the left. And their internal logic circuit subliminally needs calibration.

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM

You do realize there are 4 different OPEN SEASONS!

Oil
Gas
Hunting
Fishing

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Do you shoot pipelines in Alaska?

Jimbo3 on July 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I say let her run on her own message. She has been for a while now and hasn’t be tripped up yet (not that I have seen). She got tripped up carrying McCain’s water.

But that was a different campaign. Next time around I’m betting she will say what she really believes, and then let the voters make the decision.

Hog Wild on July 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Way to go C4P. I’m 1/2 afraid this is just ginned up B.S. to start a fight amongst Repubs, but repub attacks on Sarah cannot be allowed to continue. The Establishment GOPers are as scared to death of her as the Demrats.

C4P tore Mittens a new one. Sarah has been GOLD in supporting winning candidates before they were winning candidates and for taking Pinnochio apart every day and every way!

The rest of the Presidential wannabees have been following along in a clown suit three rows back in the parade, only taking off the costume and trying to hop in front when the parade comes to a corner. Hiding in the weeds and waiting for a break.
Sarah makes her breaks! Like the resignation of the governors office. It allowed her Alaska agenda to continue and allowed her to fight on her terms, in her time, at the place of her choosing.
Mess with the Saracuda and you’ll pull back a bloody stump!

dhunter on July 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Nixon’s win in 1972 was HUGE.
People forget that.
Which is what makes the Left’s bloodless coup called Watergate even more evil.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM

That’s also what made Nixon’s action regarding Watergate so stupid and incomprehensible. He won (if memory serves me correctly) 48 or 49 states. Why did he think he needed to authorize a break in?

Jimbo3 on July 15, 2010 at 10:07 PM

One thing I don’t understand is if Newt Gingrich is added to the jimxture, ROmney’s support vanishes to nothing. This Palin bashing is ludicrous and counter productive. Hit Newt.

promachus on July 15, 2010 at 10:08 PM

This make Romney look small, almost microscopic.

RedRedRice on July 15, 2010 at 10:09 PM

If the Romney people are freaking out over ONE fundraising video, what will happen when she truly announces?

promachus on July 15, 2010 at 10:10 PM

At least when their is trouble afoot, Palin, unlike some people, doesn’t run and hide.

Tav on July 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Is that Gov. Palin, who resigned her office in the middle of her first term, that you are referring to?

JohnGalt23 on July 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM

JohnGalt23 on July 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Yes…the very same one who risked it all so she could take the fight to these leftists without the risk of being sued and stymied into oblivion.

The very same one who’s landing blow after blow on Zero.

The very same one who’s backing a new class of conservatives for 2010 and who’s looking more and more like a kingmaker.

powerpro on July 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Jimbo3 on July 15, 2010 at 10:07 PM

He never said that he did and it’s never been proven that he did.
In fact, I’m convinced that he didn’t know anything about it.
It was the silly cover-up that got him on the defensive and into trouble.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Vyce on July 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Bullcrap.
Total bullcrap.

Brian1972 on July 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Oh? How so?

I’m not even saying that as a knock on her.

But that’s how I see it. She’ll run, because it’s “expected” of her, the opportunity is there, and there is some small sliver of a chance she could win the nomination (if not the White House). But I think her REAL goal is to become a conservative icon that will endure as a darling of conservatives for the next two or three DECADES.

Vyce on July 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Let’s agree that we have to defeat Zero and his Commies. Ok? Let’s start from basics. Defeat the Commies!

Mitt’s crew is trying to pull an Obama – remember how he managed to run unopposed for the U.S. Senate? Jack Ryan, IIRC, dropped out after questionable moves by the Zero campaign.

No one but Voters gets to pick the GOP 2012 candidate – NO ONE!.

2010-2012 marks an earthquake in American politics. No pundit, no pollster, certainly no MSM “commentator” even has nightmares as bad as the “Silent Majority”, now known as the amorphous, headless “TEA Party”. It’s the age of the “unthinkable”, as we have been astonished over the last year at the tyrannical behaviour of the Federal Government. Violating their Oaths of Office is merely the first and largest crime…

None of the “pros” have a clue, the old rules are burned away, and the “experts” are always the last to acknowledge. The “establishment” is whistling in the dark, desperately waving flares in an attempt to con us into pulling off the highway.

Ignore what’s behind the curtain, we are in Oz now and the “pros” can’t even imagine, much less utter the words, the Change coming on a tsunami.

Disclosure: I was never politically engaged before 2008. Now I join millions of newly awakened, that are contributing, TEAPartying, studying, paying attention. “We won’t be fooled again!”

Let the votes fall where they will, ignore the spinmeisters trying to tell you what to believe/do. Onward and Upward!

Who is John Galt on July 15, 2010 at 10:26 PM

She got tripped up carrying McCain’s water.

Hog Wild on July 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Even during the campaign, she loudly supported drilling in ANWR, in spite of the fact that McCain was equally as vocal in his opposition and his Senate vote against it.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 10:27 PM

promachus on July 15, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Nixon was paranoid.

bw222 on July 15, 2010 at 10:28 PM

He never said that he did and it’s never been proven that he did.
In fact, I’m convinced that he didn’t know anything about it.
It was the silly cover-up that got him on the defensive and into trouble.

Jenfidel on July 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM

The Committee to Reelect the President paid one of the burglars. The Attorney General was head of that Committee. And Nixon authorized the payment of hush money to the burglars. Connect the dots.

Jimbo3 on July 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Vyce on July 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM

So you see the primaries as a publicity event for her to cement herself as a conservative icon that went down adhering to conservatives values.

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM

powerpro on July 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Great.

But let’s not pretend that when when the going gets tough, she didn’t run. Because the going got tough, and that’s exactly what she did.

And if you don’t think that’s going to be part of the narrative if she runs, you are too naive to be discussing such serious politics.

JohnGalt23 on July 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I can’t wait for an O debate.

ProudPalinFan on July 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM

A poll? Every poll I saw showed Biden won.

rjl1999 on July 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Newt will be the think-tank/brain-trust for the Palin Campaign and Administration. He’s perfect for the role of Staff Policy Wonk. Total fail for the role of Candidate.

Sarah demonstrably has the built-in political instinct of Candidate, no help needed there.

Professor Newt as a databank, Wow!

Who is John Galt on July 15, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Great.

JohnGalt23 on July 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I disagree with your interpretation of what happened.

She didn’t want to be a fish in a barrel…so yes, she left an impossible situation. If you think that’s her giving up then I don’t think you really understand the situation.

And of course it’ll be a part of the narrative against her. Mitt’s crew is already lobbing those rhetorical bombs as we speak.

But it was the right move. She left a hopeless scenario that would have left her weakened and broke so she could take on the Obama agenda.

powerpro on July 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Great.

JohnGalt23 on July 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Let me use the favorite language of the Liberal Elite to fully get this reflexive response-question of mine to you across:

Pardonnez-moi?

And now, back to the vernacular:

And what, exactly, was Sarah Palin “running for” back in 2009? Do. tell.

lansing quaker on July 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM

TimeTraveler on July 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM

No, I don’t think she’s going to run as a publicity stunt. I think she’ll run because she’s got a shot of winning the nomination. Why NOT do it, if you’ve got a realistic chance.

Ultimately, though, I don’t really feel she’s got that burning desire to be President. I think she could be perfectly content to continue doing EXACTLY what she’s doing now, for the next couple decades. And why wouldn’t see? For all the knocks on her, she’s got a “base” of conservatives that take her seriously, and she’s lucrative for speaking gigs, fundraisers, on media shows, offered book deals, etc.

Again, I’m not knocking her. I’ve got some respect for her. I’d probably support her, if I thought she had a chance of winning over the indies (I don’t) and beating Barry.

Vyce on July 15, 2010 at 10:45 PM

In the immortal words of Greg Stillson, “The missiles are flying. Hallelujah.”

+10 to AP for referencing that film!

RedNewEnglander on July 15, 2010 at 10:45 PM