Palin won’t take speaking fee at Beck rally

posted at 10:55 am on July 15, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

After the announcement that Sarah Palin would join Glenn Beck for his rally on the Mall in Washington next month, speculation apparently ran rampant among the Left as to how much of the money would go to Palin’s speaking fee.  The rally will benefit the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, but will have to cover its own costs first, as these events are usually structured.  Tommy Christopher reports for Mediaite that the speculation is unfounded, and that neither Palin nor Beck expect to receive any compensation at all for their appearance:

Some critics of Glenn Beck’s 8/28 “Restoring Honor” rally (a group that includes me) have also wondered how much of the estimated $2 million cost of the event might be used to pay Sarah Palin’s speaking fee. While not the main focus of criticism of Beck’s rally, questions about funding for the event have been raised. As it turns out, Palin will not be paid a speaker’s fee, and the charity that’s partnering with Beck on the event does stand to benefit significantly from the event.

MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann and radio host Bill Press discussed the fundraising effort for the event several weeks ago, specifically noting that Beck is paying for the rally out of funds raised, ostensibly, for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. In an arrangement that is quite commonplace for this kind of event, all donations made through Beck’s rally go to cover the rally’s cost first, and any money left over goes to the charity. To be clear, neither Press nor Olbermann implied that this arrangement was unusual.

In fact, that kind of arrangement is SOP.  While high-profile speakers don’t usually take fees for their charity work, these events require many vendors to put a stage show together, and those people expect to get paid for their work and materials.  Fundraising costs money for that reason.

In this case, neither Palin nor Beck will get paid — and Beck has already donated money to the charity:

A source close to the event has verified to Mediaite that Sarah Palin will not be receiving a fee for her appearance at the rally, and that the funds raised will be used for basic overhead such as audio/video equipment, bathroom facilities, and the like. Beck won’t see any of the cash, and has even made a large personal donation, according to the charity.

In fact, the Special Operations Warrior Foundation says that the “Restoring Honor” rally has already netted the charity “just over $2 million,” which means they’ve more than covered the estimated cost of the rally, with a month and a half to spare.

The charity has already cleared the cost threshold, which means that all future revenue will go directly to their foundation.  That’s impressive, with seven weeks left to go before the actual event.  It speaks to an efficient use of funds and good planning, which one might expect from a group founded by and for Special Operations personnel.

Too bad those who engaged in empty speculation about the finances of this event don’t pay more attention to the wasted trillions in government spending and failed stimulus programs.  This event will actually produce resources for a deserving charity.

Comments

Democrats scratch heads, unable to understand giving of your time without getting a fist full of money.

fogw on July 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM

A week or so ago Beck stated that the largest cash outlay for the even was for security. Wise move. Count on the left to do two things: Pretend to ignore it and work to sabotage it.

Extrafishy on July 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Palin will be there? and it’s a charity event? Awesome.

Let’s see the NAACP protest that!

Skandia Recluse on July 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Beck is really doing this right but getting a lot of flack, must be over the target!

tim c on July 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

even = event

Extrafishy on July 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

So Debbie Schlussel can rest easy?

flyfisher on July 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Egg.

Leftist media hack’s face.

Some assembly required.

CurtZHP on July 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Speaking fees for Republicans: Eeeeeeevil
Speaking fees for Democrats: Never mentioned

LibTired on July 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Let’s see the NAACP protest that!

Skandia Recluse on July 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

They’ll find a way.

ohiobabe on July 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM

So Debbie Schlussel can rest easy?

flyfisher on July 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Debbie never rests easy.

a capella on July 15, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Speaking fees for Republicans: Eeeeeeevil
Speaking fees for Democrats: Never mentioned

LibTired on July 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Exactly. Bill Clinton is worth how much now? A disbarred lawyer? How exactly was this largesse obtained?

pxystick on July 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

my family and i will be there, going back on 9/12 as well.

trailortrash on July 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Such Great News, which her speaking for free will still enrage the left… I can hear it now, “Oh we know she’s getting paid somehow”.

Damn I would like to attend this!

WhoU4 on July 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Extrafishy on July 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Beat me to it.

listens2glenn on July 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Schlussel will NOT like this at all.

abobo on July 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

My husband and I are attending, and probably relatives in Richmond will accompany us.

Glenn Beck’s doing a wonderful job of directing focus where it needs to be directed.

Liberals have driven many Americans to abandon their gut instincts about the direction that the US is taking. When the US flag is considered dangerous to schoolchildren (as opposed to the foreign and domestic rabble which seeks to intimidate free Americans), then it’s time to sit up and take notice.

I’ve learned a LOT about US history in the past few months and I am royally pissed that the liberals/progressives are rewriting it to cover the gross and evil sins of the Democrats towards blacks for over 100 years, instead painting Republicans as heartless racists. I have Glenn to thank for opening my eyes. Michelle and Barack should be furious that their little brains are rotten with progressive non-history.

If there is ANYONE on this board who views Glenn Beck with mistrust, maybe you’d better look in the mirror.

disa on July 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I wonder if Al Gore will be speaking, and why no one wonders about what he gets for his lies?

tarpon on July 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Palin not taking speaking fees will be spun as her participation being a gigantic political donation from Beck and others, as she will have a huge audience for her speech at no cost to her or her PAC or her campaign.

myrenovations on July 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I wish I could go-unfortunately I made my plans for the DC 912 rally before I learned about the Beck rally and I can’t change my plans.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM

yet another data point for a Palin run.

/s

unseen on July 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Palin is just some retired grandma, right?

faraway on July 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Four Palin threads already?

alwaysfiredup on July 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM

So Beck will do more for unemployment than Obama has. He will actually create some jobs.

jukin on July 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM

The leftists don’t understand operating in the black…

d1carter on July 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Morrisey, Ed is starting to look like a Palinista. Four threads already.

PrezHussein on July 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

It really frosts Debbie Schlussel that Sarah Palin is five years older, has been pregnant 7 times (5 kids and 2 miscarriages) and looks so much better than Debbie. Don’t be misled by the image on Debbie’s website; that’s a heavily retouched (photohsopped?) image of Debbie from 15 years ago. If you’ve seen her on TV, she looks nothing like that.

Sarah’s beauty, husband and popularity have really taken their toll on Debbie.

bw222 on July 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

The information Beck puts out is mostly good/interesting and serves a valuable purpose. His months-long programming dedicated to the various radicals in the White House was good even though it was basically a regurgitation of the contents of “The Manchurian President”.

His “I can’t tell you now but if you tune in/attend/watch” schtick is getting VERY VERY tiresome. It’s so lame and smacks of “hucksterism”.

The fact that he scheduled his 8/28 event JUST TWO WEEKS prior to the 9/12 event is at the top of my list of gripes. He KNOWS what the attendance was last year, yet he has never disputed the 70,000 report by the vaunted “Fox News”. I think the number of people that attended not only frightened the politicians in DC but I think it has put a healty scare into all media INCLUDING FOX. He could have scheduled this event ANY TIME. WHY just TWO WEEKS BEFORE 9/12 event?

Combine this with a handful of thinly-vieled disparaging remarks he’s made about FreedomWorks and I find him distrustful. When he blasted the Democrat Massa (sp?) for NOT standing up to the White House while he was bravely standing ALONE against them, I found it not credible. Sure… he’s alone… except for the millions he earns. Oh, and the most popular news network behind him. Oh, and a billionaire named Rupert Murdoch. It’s all beginning to smell like cheap salesmanship.

CC

CapedConservative on July 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

BlueSite will now have to find another reason to throw eggs at Sarah as she is speaking.

“I don’t like your dress! It doesn’t the shoes!” *hurls egg*

Bishop on July 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM

This is a very close example of the topic of the “hate mail” I sent him when he first began talking about his “come see me” event on 8/28. There were a number of people in our 9/12 group that said they might change from the 9/12 event to Beck’s. I was able to convince them otherwise.

Thank you for sticking with the 9/12 event.

CC

CapedConservative on July 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

“I don’t like your dress! It doesn’t the shoes!” *hurls egg*

Bishop on July 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM

BlueSite’s initials are all one needs to know.

BS

Del Dolemonte on July 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM

my family and i will be there, going back on 9/12 as well.

trailortrash on July 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

We’re hoping to go as well. We need to have a Hot Air meetup. Ed?

conservative pilgrim on July 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM

CapedConservative on July 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I’ll be at both!

Joe Caps on July 15, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Thank you for sticking with the 9/12 event.

CC

CapedConservative on July 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Look, there is enough to go around for everyone.I know you want a “knock your socks off crowd” for the 9/12 event and you will get a big turnout. I think that conservatives and those leaning that way are a bunch of marvelous people. I’m sure there are lefties that are generous with their time and treasure but I can’t recall any off hand.

Go! Have a good time and don’t begrudge the great work of others! Please?

Vince on July 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I’ll be at both!

Joe Caps on July 15, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Wish I could but I live (and work) in Florida and I can only go to one… Remember, he has asked for “no signs” at his 8/28 event. That event might be made more interesting as the New Black Panthers have indicated their intent to be there, so be all eyes.

CC

CapedConservative on July 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM

So Debbie Schlussel can rest easy?

flyfisher on July 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Ignore her. The only time that bum ditch will rest easy will be when she’s resting in peace.

Dark-Star on July 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM

See you there Ed.

Jason58 on July 15, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I’m going 8/28 and hope to be back for 9/12 (again)

Willie on July 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Is Mittens speakin too or are he and R.P. too busy buyin votes at the next Rinocrat convention?

Mitt sure is hard to find I HOPE he’s not gonna go for CHANGE and be the invisible heir to the throne of the Rinocrat Dynasty!

dhunter on July 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Anyone going to any of these events. Make sure to bring a camcorder! I want to see what happens when the “NBP” show up…. and they are on video!

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Caped Conservative said: WHY just TWO WEEKS BEFORE 9/12 event?

He was originally going to schedule this on 9/12, but that falls on a Sunday, and he feels very strongly about respecting the Sabbath. So they searched for another day that would work, and it turned out to be 8/28. It was only after the day was set that they realized it was the anniversary of MLK’s speech in the same location: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/42377/

He’s also been very up front about keeping things quiet, and not giving out every detail about the four-hour rally: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/42325/

His listeners/viewers are taking it on faith that it will be a historic event. He doesn’t want to “tip his hand”, and because I trust him, I’m okay with that!

Let’s not compete for attendance at rallies that stand up for the rights and freedoms of Americans and honor our citizens. Choose one or the other based on which one tugs at you the most – and which date works best – and how your financing works! Maybe some can afford to do both! Let’s not attack each other and do the work of the über-left for them….

kierstin1989 on July 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Tit for tat. Investigate Obama’s speaking fees given his never ending campaign that can’t end without admitting defeat. What all is lost would be the nation’s next question as, for one instance, China has already downgraded its biggest debtor’s economy.

maverick muse on July 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Sarah Palin is a private citizen who is entitled to earn a living. Olberman and Bill Press got paid to sit there and speculate about her fee but they begrudge her earning one? Even though she’s not being paid what business is it of theirs if she were?

CCRWM on July 15, 2010 at 12:20 PM

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Every poster pointing out “Saboteur”, “Infiltrator” and “Not Tea Party’s Message” is priceless at rallies protesting our corrupted government’s abuses. Otherwise, all those whole cloth images go viral on the internet, MSM and in campaigns.

maverick muse on July 15, 2010 at 12:21 PM

There’s a little too much melodrama when he does it, but Beck is basically on the right track.

RBMN on July 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM

CCRWM on July 15, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Personally, irrelevant gossip.

Network profits translating into their salary? Relevant meaningless rhetoric for their obsessive viewers to ruminate while consuming advertisers’ products.

maverick muse on July 15, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Caped Conservative said: WHY just TWO WEEKS BEFORE 9/12 event?

Why? He will be in Alaska, Anchorage for 9/11. Is that a problem?

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 12:33 PM

maverick muse on July 15, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Well maybe Breitbart will have a 100K reward for one of these “The Conservatives” started it video’s… and come to find out it was someone else.

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM

This event is going to be huge.

Palin attending has supercharged it.

Should be a great speech too.

A great charity as well.

Brian1972 on July 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Palin is just some retired grandma, right?

faraway on July 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM

She is also the mother of a soldier who served in Iraq, so she might just support a soldier’s charity gratis out of dedication to the cause. Who’d a thunk it?

I’m just wondering about Glenn Beck. His radio show was on a conservative talk-radio station in Hartford (there are conservatives in the Hartford area!) at 9:00 AM until last week, now it has been replaced by the Laura Ingraham show.

Nothing against Laura Ingraham–she’s one of the best conservative talkers out there, but is Beck too controversial, and was the station having problems with Beck’s ratings? Or did they shift Beck to a more popular listening time?

Steve Z on July 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM

RBMN

Whether or not one adheres to method and style, conservatives don’t begrudge Beck his messaging or his views. He caters to his audience, a natural thing for media personalities to do professionally, and a necessity for broadcast longevity.

The high art of opera has melodrama, as well. All kinds out there.

maverick muse on July 15, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Steve Z on July 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Umm Faraway is being sarcastic.

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Thank God for Breitbart in America.

However, conservatives with cameras took and put those photos online at previous Tea Party Rallies. Weren’t those shots linked here at HotAir back when? Certainly at The Other McCain’s blog, and Ace of Spades HQ as well.

maverick muse on July 15, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Dark-Star on July 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Sheesh, though she’s totally self absorbed in whackosphere, that’s a bit harsh.

maverick muse on July 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Caped Conservative said: WHY just TWO WEEKS BEFORE 9/12 event?

Why not? Actually, I think it is because he chose the day Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his “I have a dream” speech, and the rally is going to be at the Lincoln Memorial. I sincerely doubt that Glen Beck wants to hurt the 912 rally.

I’ll be there next month.

ladyingray on July 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I’ll have two video cams ready and running!

conservative pilgrim on July 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Thank you for sticking with the 9/12 event.

CC

CapedConservative on July 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

You’re welcome. It’s an early 40th birthday present from my husband.
I’ll be staying at the International Hostel.
That is going to be interesting.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 15, 2010 at 12:52 PM

upinak on July 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I’m bringing my Flik Camera to the 912 Rally.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM

This event is going to be huge.

Palin attending has supercharged it.

Should be a great speech too.

A great charity as well.

Brian1972 on July 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Palin has definately added an extra surge of interest in the event, however, don’t expect a big, dramatic speech from her. The event is non-political and her appearance, from what I’ve heard, will be brief. She will be giving props to our troops along with a few others.

Regardless, though, I’m sure she is honored to participate and lend her name to such a worthy cause. Palin’s devotion to our military is unparalleled in the political realm right now.

Redneck Woman on July 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Steve Z on July 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Maybe it’s Salem Radio Network swapping shows around from market to market. I don’t know where you are, but out here in CA we’re getting Glenn Beck instead of Laura Ingraham (which is kinda too bad, because I’ve always liked her show) from 6:00 – 9:00AM Pacific time (9 – noon Eastern) on their local affiliate, KRLA 870 AM.

Mary in LA on July 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Back on topic, and sorry if this is a dumb question: Has Sarah Palin ever appeared on Glenn Beck’s show? (I have to admit, I don’t watch TV, so I miss a lot…)

Mary in LA on July 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Sarah’s beauty, husband and popularity have really taken their toll on Debbie.

bw222 on July 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Debbie is one of the nastiest, most unhinged people out there. She was attacking myself, Stacy Drake and others on Teh Twitters the other day after we had called her out for some nonsensical crap she’d written. Said we were “anti-Semitic” for calling her out!

I have an Israeli flag “twibbon” on my avatar.

She is totally nuts.

gary4205 on July 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I’ll be at both.

GardenGnome on July 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I’ll be at one or the other, not sure yet which. I’m going with a friend, and it depends on her schedule.

This particular friend is a Libertarian and a baby-boomer who has abstained from voting since the Vietnam War. The shenanigans of Obama and Co. have persuaded her that it’s time to start voting again… and she’ll be voting Republican.

Mary in LA on July 15, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Mary in LA on July 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Yes, a lot. Beck and her go way back as interviewer/interviewee.

Beck used to interview her a lot on serious issues, like energy, when he was still at Headline News. It’s the first I ever saw her on TV.

Glenn interviewed her a few times right after he moved to Fox, once calling her “One hot grandma” to which she smiled.

Oddly enough, they had never actually met face to face until she went to work for Fox. The week she did all of the “get to know you” interviews, Glenn did one with her at a hotel with the Statue Of Liberty in the background.

When both he and her were named Time Magazine’s Most Influential, she wrote Glenn’s intro. (Ted Nugent wrote hers)

I think they are friends.

gary4205 on July 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM

gary4205 on July 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Thanks! That’s pretty cool!

Mary in LA on July 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Let’s see the NAACP protest that!

Skandia Recluse on July 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Hasn’t the NBPP already come out and say they’ll be there in full uniform, similar to the way they ‘assisted’ at the Philly polling station?

Sponge on July 15, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Sponge on July 15, 2010 at 2:43 PM

So now the NAACP is equivalent to the NBPP? That’s sane.

The Race Card on July 15, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I wanted to go and was planning to work it in with a trip back home, but I had to move that up to earlier this summer. And this sh!tty O-conomy being what it is, I don’t really have the funds to make another trip. It sounds like it’s going to be fantastic, tho. Does anyone know if it will be broadcast anywhere? I’ll buy myself an Insider Extreme membership for a month or so just to watch it if I have to

NoLeftTurn on July 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Mary in LA on July 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

The last time I saw Palin on Beck’s show he was amazed and surprised that she did not want to form a third party. I think it is just fine for both of these people to do charity work, but I don’t trust Beck. I think that if he could form a third party and run it, he would be more than happy to do it, even if it meant another victory for Democrats. I might be wrong about the man, but after hearing him use inaccurate history to trash Theodore Roosevelt…as well as saying we are better off with Obama than McCain and calling for Bush’s impeachment…I just don’t think Beck is really on anyone’s side but his own.

In other words, I think Palin is the real deal, but I don’t really think Beck is.

Terrye on July 15, 2010 at 3:24 PM

“Never put yourself in the position where you can take from these men.” - Major Dick Winters.

portlandon on July 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I sincerely doubt that Glen Beck wants to hurt the 912 rally.

I’ll be there next month.

ladyingray on July 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I think you might think again. Last year at this time, it was all 9/12..9/12…9/12. Since he scheduled his “Promote Glenn Beck” event TWO WEEKS BEFORE it, he hasn’t uttered a peep.

I think he knew what he was doing. I think he has done a great job getting the public’s attention on two things: This administration and himself.

Next thing you know, you’ll believe his “meaningful pauses with just a bit of tearing up” are not planned.

He has done a great job where one has sorely been needed. My personal opinion is that he is also a phoney self-promoter. But, he is a “celebrity” or “TV personality” so it goes with the territory.

CC

CapedConservative on July 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM

THAT my friends is the difference between conservatives & most liberals. You see this liberal Hollywood types whenever there is a “crisis” and we have live aid, farm aid, or Katrina aid. They come flying in on their corporate jets (after telling US to reduce our carbon footprint), and they give speeches, sing or something else, and they jump back on their jets to fly to their McMansions (after telling us to not have a big house). You think, oh how nice that they donated their time to a worthy cause. HA! They get paid for crap like that.

p51d007 on July 15, 2010 at 11:53 PM

“Never put yourself in the position where you can take from these men.” – Major Dick Winters.

portlandon on July 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I must have-at minimum-7 books about the 101st Airborne.
He was setting Buck Compton(who like Winters hasn’t made the ‘final jump’ yet) straight.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 16, 2010 at 12:08 AM

The left is falling back on their Bush bashing formula to win (see Harry Reid for the latest version). The difference is people who are not closely following politics (especially in summer for a non-candidate) aren’t jazzed up by speaking fee BS. This is the kind of tail chasing that will leave them scratching their heads after losing. HotAir posted an article with a link to AceOfSpades where he breaks down how what impresses the bloggers and writers doesn’t make a sh*ts difference to independents and speaking fees would be right up there.

Conan on July 16, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Group of six going to 8/28! Have the hotel,the Frog Togs from Bass Pro and the wide brimmed hats! No signs, backpack full of water, snacks and sunscreen. Can’t wait. Restoring HONOR!

Wish we could do both but we did attend the 9/12 last year which was too awesome to describe. We picked 8/28 for a day of support for our troops and country. A day to for something and not against the evil. This 8/28 could be called Restoring HOPE.

Coastal Paradise on July 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM