Obama: I expect to be held accountable on jobs, but I’d prefer that you hold Bush accountable

posted at 9:09 pm on July 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

How strange that our very successful president would choose this tack instead of emphasizing his very successful policy successes.

Maybe he’s just modest.

Americans, Obama said Thursday, don’t have a “selective memory.”

“They’re going remember the policies that got us into this mess as well,” Obama said, referring to the previous Republican administration. “And they sure as heck don’t want to go back to those.”…

“It’s hard because you don’t see immediate gratification,” the president acknowledged Thursday. He said his message to people out of work was that his administration was doing everything possible to create an environment in which private sector jobs could expand.

“But I’m not any more satisfied than they are,” Obama said. “And until they can find a job, I expect to be held accountable.”

Given the evidence to the contrary, kudos to The One for having the sheer balls to float that boldfaced part. Don’t be too quick to laugh at his “blame Bush” strategy, though. Even 18 months of Hopenchange dreariness aren’t enough to erase the misery of Dubya’s second term. New from Bloomberg:

More blame Bush than Obama for the federal deficit, 32 percent to 24 percent. Among Republicans, 39 percent say Obama is to blame, while about a quarter of independents hold that view…

Obama gets more credit for increases in the stock market over the past year, with 28 percent of Americans giving him recognition, compared with 13 percent for Bush. Even among Republicans, a quarter give Obama credit for the increases.

On unemployment, Bush is listed as most responsible by 32 percent, compared with 22 percent for Obama. Those with incomes below $25,000 are more likely to blame Bush for the unemployment rate, which was 9.5 percent in June.

Bush also gets more blame than Obama for Afghanistan, natch, and a majority say his handling of Katrina was worse than The One’s handling of the spill. (Possible 2012 slogan: “Obama — still not as bad as Dubya!”) Bush-bashing won’t save the Dems in the fall, but honestly, given how little they have left to run on, it might actually be their best strategy to mitigate losses at this point. Exit question: On a scale of one to 10, how disastrous is it that G-Dub’s memoir is being published right around the time of the midterms? And, as a follow-up, is that some sort of sinister revenge plot by Dubya to get back at all the Republicans who have been bad-mouthing him since he left office?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

PINO = president in name only

Dhuka on July 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Ugh! How many of the dopes who voted for this whinging fool would have voted for him if they knew how much of a whiner he was gonna be?

Gob on July 15, 2010 at 9:12 PM

GW Bush autobiography is a net plus for republicans.

We real Americans already discount what the state run media says about anything, so no loss there.

And yet the book will surely call to light some of the inside stories in the days surrounding 9-11, and this will remind real Americans how much we need a real leader in the White House.

The book is a good thing, I can’t wait to buy it, and to discuss it.

jeff_from_mpls on July 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

No, he wouldn’t hurt the whole party and ruin chances of taking on or both houses just to get back at specific individuals.

Wethal on July 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Well, it helps Obama’s cause that most people think that Republicans were in charge of Congress in 2007 and 2008, and that the Dems and MSM keep calling the 2009 budget “Bush’s budget,” even though it wasn’t passed until after he was out of office.

notropis on July 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Ugh! How many times can this Zero says things just like this and yet never be held to his own stated accountability? You would think it would even start to get to the Braindead-Obamabot-Zombies by now.

Also, I’d LOVE a tall of how may times he has said ‘I will not rest until…”

Gob on July 15, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Got Spine?

Nah, didn’t think so…

SuperCool on July 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I bet Bush’s book does well in sales and I see that as a negative story.

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM

notropis on July 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Wow! That scares the crap out of me…how uninformed peeps are!

Gob on July 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM

The closer we are to November the greater my feelings of ‘intense dislike’.
I’m looking forward to the book. And when comparing the two, Bush was definitely the leader; not “Mr. Namby Pamby Pants”.

And no, that’s not a racist term.

Yellowdog12 on July 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Excerpt that will NOT appear in the Bush autobio:

And then Laura and I decided to jet off to France, and apparently someone forgot to tell the people of New York because they sure enough looked scared when I ordered Air Force One to buzz the smoldering World Trade Center. Now let me be clear, leaving the country that way so soon after the so-called terrorist attack was probably an unfortunate oversight on someone’s part in my administration.

jeff_from_mpls on July 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM

So Obama admits that he’s not the President after all.

Lourdes on July 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

The book is a good thing, I can’t wait to buy it, and to discuss it.

jeff_from_mpls on July 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I can’t wait to read his book!!!

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Modest and Mr. Obama? Right. I blame W for TARP. They should have allowed existing laws handle the “crisis” and made adjustments where necessary. Whenever you change the rules in the middle of the game, everyone loses.

Cindy Munford on July 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Also, I’d LOVE a tall of how may times he has said ‘I will not rest until…”

Gob on July 15, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Does this mean Obama isn’t sleeping? His vacation in Maine, he’ll not be sleeping there?

It’s as if Obama says just.anything and proclaims it as fact in various moments said but the words are meaningless or else they’re outright lies. You’d think he was stoned…

;]

Lourdes on July 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I can’t wait to read his book!!!

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Yes, me, too.

Lourdes on July 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I think talk of President George W. Bush and his book will make even more Americans miss him. He looks better every day.

slickwillie2001 on July 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Did Dubya ever apologize to Border agents Ramos and Compean for persecuting them on the word of a mexican drug pusher and Vicente Fox ? Will he do so in his memoir ?

macncheez on July 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I am puzzled by the book dropping a week after the election? Why? What’s up w/that?

JAM on July 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Stange would be finding an overwhelming majority that have found none of Obama’s policies to be considered successful.

Rovin on July 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Those with incomes below $25,000 and a GED or no high school are more likely to blame Bush for the unemployment rate, which was 9.5 percent in June.

FIFY

CWforFreedom on July 15, 2010 at 9:24 PM

macncheez on July 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

From all the things that happened in Bush’s 8 years…you want read about Ramos and Compean?

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Mr. President has Bush Derangement Syndrome tatooted all over his face. You can see it before he even starts talking. Voters remember all right, they remember that you have played the blame card now for 18 months.

scalleywag on July 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I can’t wait to read his book!!!

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I’m so glad you see the upside potential! I bet the book will be riveting. Haven’t you been eager to learn the inside story especially around the time of 9-11-01?

The truth is, Obama isn’t a “historic” president. President Bush will go down in history as the pivotal figure of our time. Obama will be seen as a freakish over-reaction by a disoriented populace in crisis.

jeff_from_mpls on July 15, 2010 at 9:28 PM

scalleywag on July 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Yeah the Dems used “blame Bush” in 2006 and 2008….I hardly think it will have any influence in 2010.

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM

It depends entirely on what the book is like. If it’s gracious, takes no shots at the current administration and simply tells the tales of his presidency, it won’t hurt at all and might even help. If it’s an exercise in score settling, it could hurt some. Given the way he’s comported himself since he left Washington, I suspect it will be gracious.

Mr. D on July 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Oh yes. I read Karl Rove’s book and loved it! I cried. I also wanted to punch Mitch McConnell in the face after reading Karl Rove’s book. I hate him now.

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I’d certainly like to know the thinking that went behind formulating a policy which persecuted 2 Americans based on the desires and directives of mexican drug cartels and their el presidente Fox …

macncheez on July 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Did Dubya ever apologize to Border agents Ramos and Compean for persecuting and prosecuting them on the word of a mexican drug pusher and Vicente Fox ? Will he do so in his memoir ?

macncheez on July 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Unfortunately both agents’ words were also used against them.

The Race Card on July 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

The people responsible for “this mess” were the democrats that Bush warned repeatedly about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

These democrats, to be specific.

What really upsets me, is the current crop of republican leaders that let this go unchallenged, time after time after time.

Our economy was doing great until this crisis. Jobs, low unemployment, people making good money. Multiple year record tax revenue hauls to the IRS WITH TAX CUTS.

Party leaders just sit by, biding their time, and letting these things go unchallenged, letting Obama get away with repeatedly lying.

BruthaMan on July 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Mark my words, the state run media will have a hard time spinning Bush’s book.

President Bush will reveal some events that will make us appreciate just how much he kept us safe. Therefore, you will see defensive stories by the drive bys wherein it will be claimed that such-and-such a fact revealed by President Bush simply didn’t happen according to unnamed sources and experts.

The book puts us on offense, they are on defense. And when libs are on defense they act even more mental than usual.

Trust me, this will be good.

jeff_from_mpls on July 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I don’t think Bush’s book helps the Dems at all. If anything, it may give them false hope and sucker them into running with the “Blame Bush” strategery in the fall even more than they were planning to which is a disastrous idea.

While Bush remains unpopular, it’s worth noting two things. First, this book and the handful of interviews he does to promote it may cast him in a more sympathetic light. Oh sure, the drive-bys will pile on the guy and they’ll find the juiciest excerpts(assuming the book ain’t a snoozefest) to exploit. But he comes off as a likable, humble dude in most candid sitdowns.

Second, remember that PPP poll that showed nearly as many people would rather have Bush in office than Obama? And that was months ago, before the BP spill, the ramming through of Obamacare, and the prospect of a double-dip recession. The Dems better be real careful using Bush as a bogeyman when Americans aren’t so scared of him anymore.

Doughboy on July 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

macncheez on July 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I suspect “rule of law” is the reason.

The Race Card on July 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I am so damned sick and tired of Barry, he’s just another boneheaded, tabloid celebrity whose shelf life expired a long time ago.

He’s become Jerry Lewis in 18 months.

We get to ignore worthless celebrities, however.

Worthless politicians we cannot.

NoDonkey on July 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM

notropis on July 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM

What you just said is what makes me the most crazy. Senator Obama inherited a good economy, good gas prices, a high stock market, etc. from the Republican Congress in 2006. He and the rest of the DEMOCRAT MAJORITY proceeded to eff it up in 2007 & 2008. I blame Bush for not vetoing their crap.

I swear, sometimes I have fantasies of the movie where the guy holds the reporters hostage on the nightly news until they say what he wants them to report.

mrsmwp on July 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Bush: “I’ve abandoned free market principles to save the free market system”

I wish he’d never said that.

ctmom on July 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

BruthaMan on July 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Exactly! Why, why, why, why, why don’t the GOP stategists on the shows and the politicians hammer this point? It’s baffling.

mrsmwp on July 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

On a scale of “won’t save the Dems” to “Gulp”, I think you’ve already got the entire spectrum covered today. lol

Ronnie on July 15, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Am I the only that hopes that W. stops by the Daily Show to promote his book?

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:38 PM

A black president forever blaming the previous white president for all of his problems.

That’s racist.

fogw on July 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM

For some reason, the following quote seems appropriate:

I deserve to be blown fast! Before the f*cking Jacuzzi! Ok, I’ll burn the goddamn house up, but blow me first! How dare you!??!”

I should’ve woken you up and said f*cking blow me bitch! I should’ve f*ckin’ woken you up and said blow me! You would’ve liked that better, yeah? But you need the goddamn sleep!

GTR640 on July 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM

In a country where the innocent (Bush) was blamed for Katrina, I don’t expect much rationality from “the people”.

OldEnglish on July 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Heh, Allah outdid himself with that one.

Øbama: The people approve of my job performance a lot more than you think. Those lousy job performance ratings are just something I inherited from Bush.

petefrt on July 15, 2010 at 9:43 PM

until they can find a job, I expect to be held accountable

It all makes sense now.

Obama keeps trying to provide jobs… it’s all the fault of those racists who won’t carry golf clubs for a black man. Which is why we MUST have immigration reform, to do the jobs that real Americans won’t do.

malclave on July 15, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I suspect “rule of law” is the reason.

The Race Card on July 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Is there a law that obligates the feds to give immunity and multiple entry permits to illegal alien drug smugglers when they are caught with 700 pounds of drugs at the border ?

macncheez on July 15, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Never thought I’d be agreeing with the face card!

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM

The GOP has a goldmine of things that they could be making videos of to unmask this fraud…Has anyone seen one lately! UGH

CCRWM on July 15, 2010 at 9:47 PM

mrsmwp on July 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I wish I knew. It’s not just this one, they just don’t fight back at all. They are either passive, lazy or care more about their job than fighting for the truth and the American people.

I’ll give the democrats credit…they are relentless in their fight to alter history. I just don’t understand why our current crop of wussified republicans don’t counter these lies. They have to know that for a liberal, if a lie is repeated enough, it becomes true.

They seriously need to start holding the democrats and most especially this president, responsible for these repeated lies.

This is no time for golden retrievers, we need pitbulls and rottweilers out there.

BruthaMan on July 15, 2010 at 9:49 PM

BruthaMan on July 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

That is my gripe also. The Republicans have only to point out when the Dems took over Congress and all of the other details you point out to educate the voters. There is absolutely no spin to those facts.

onlineanalyst on July 15, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I don’t think most Americans know how dangerous this man is to our country. Our childrens’ children will pay for this mistake.

d1carter on July 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM

macncheez on July 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Well, he DID pardon them but I agree that whole deal was very rotten and inexplicable. Maybe Bush writes about it in his book. He seems to have stood aside while what he expected was a decent justice system ran it’s course. Unfortunately for Ramos and Compean, it was not a decent justice system.

Lourdes on July 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM

If you thought he was a liar now, just wait until his career is on the line.

WisCon on July 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Bush b*tches!

HornetSting on July 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM

terryannonline on July 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Again, I agree with you, terryannonline. I really enjoyed Rove’s book (though his stance on illegal aliens, I strongly disagreed with and still do). His book was highly readable and kept me attentive all the way through.

Lourdes on July 15, 2010 at 9:56 PM

PINO = president in name only
Dhuka on July 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM

PINkO is more encompassing.

Josiah on July 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM

If by everything you mean pushing a trillion dollar stimulus aimed at sustaining the states already bloated bureaucracies and wages for a year then yes, he’s done everything.

lowandslow on July 15, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Lourdes on July 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I think it was commutation, not a pardon.

Lanceman on July 15, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I suspect “rule of law” is the reason.

The Race Card on July 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I suppose you could slap that justification on events after the fact, but given the multiple personality disorder the government has when it comes to rule of law, it seems unlikely that it had anything to do with the actual politics involved at the time.

Ronnie on July 15, 2010 at 9:58 PM

“And until they can find a job, I expect to be held accountable.”

And when held accountable, I INTEND TO BLAME BUSH!

GarandFan on July 15, 2010 at 9:58 PM

macncheez on July 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM
I suspect “rule of law” is the reason.

The Race Card on July 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM

It’s amazing when you use the ‘rule of law’ to in your argument…and then throw it out the window when discussing immigration enforcement and SB1070.
Your slip is showing, TRC.

HornetSting on July 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM

“And until they can find a job, I expect to be held accountable.”

There appears to be an endless amount of jobs in the WH but I do have my morals.

Electrongod on July 15, 2010 at 10:01 PM

We have gone from the unless campaign to the endless whine.

William Amos on July 15, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Obama’s pitiful attempts to be the “teflon president” will fail. The Democratic voter is dumb enough to fall for it but the swing independents finally have his number. BHO will try to ride the Repub coattails as Bill Jeff did, so the Repubs better be savvy enough to not let him take credit for their legislative successes come 2012. Get ready, because we’ll all be “racists” come November 2012.

scullymj on July 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM

The buck stops anywhere but here….

Nice messaging champ.

Hog Wild on July 15, 2010 at 10:04 PM

So Obama admits that he’s not the President after all.

Lourdes on July 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Can Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?

Yoop on July 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM

OT –if you haven’t seen what Tucker Carlson and the gang have done to Keith Olberman, you’ve got to check it out. KO has been pwned……literally!

ted c on July 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM

ted c on July 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM

We have gone from the unless campaign to the endless whine.

William Amos on July 15, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I thought the campaign was the endless whine…and it hasn’t stopped.
Training wheels must be inflated to 32PSI for best mileage.

Electrongod on July 15, 2010 at 10:07 PM

And when unemployment reaches twenty percent this tool will say it would be thirty percent if I had not saved the economy.

There is nothing a euro-marxist weenie hates more than America’s low unemployment and cheap and abundant energy.

President Giggles plans to change that.

DeweyWins on July 15, 2010 at 10:09 PM

The GOP will betray you.

George Bush is going to rescue Congress for the Democrats.

True_King on July 15, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Judging by that Bloomberg poll, an awful lot of Americans have learned nothing over the past 19 months. Mercy.

paul1149 on July 15, 2010 at 10:11 PM

I’m surprised those with incomes under $25K know who Bush or Obama are let alone have a preference for one or the others.

angryed on July 15, 2010 at 10:13 PM

immediate gratification=a job

PattyJ on July 15, 2010 at 10:13 PM

I bet he blames Michelle for his lack of stamina in bed.

SouthernGent on July 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM

paul1149 on July 15, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Never understimate the stupidity of the average American. This is what happens after 50 years of union run public education. People cannot think. They can’t do basic math. They are shocked when their ADJUSTABLE rate mortgage adjusts.

And it is only getting worse. Every election cycle there are millions of voters in their 70s and 80 who die, replaced by millions of people who were born in the 80s and educated in the 90s and 00s.

Which is even though Dems may lose in 2010 and maybe in 2012, demographics ensures their constituents – imbeciles – will be a majority soon.

angryed on July 15, 2010 at 10:17 PM

AP keep quoting Bloomberg they have not been correct yet but maybe one of these days they will have an accurate survey to match your pessimism.

Jdripper on July 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM

when did men start loosing their balls? Seriously. Obama needs to man up. Most of us are not stupid, we know the Bush game, we lived through it. But I really don’t remember President Bush calling out President Clinton, ever. This whole thing is such a bunch of crap. Little boys playing in the sandbox.

nwpammy on July 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I bet he blames Michelle for his lack of stamina in bed.

SouthernGent on July 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM

There are so many jokes about “blaming Bush” here, but any of them would likely lead to being banned…

malclave on July 15, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I remember Clinton’s midterms and him being on the Today Show the morning of the elections saying “I think the American public will wake up in a positive mood on this happy day and not go to the polls angry but having realized that we…blah….blah…..blah…..” Later that night we were told that the US public “threw a tantrum.”

Marcus on July 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I also think GWB’s book will help the GOP rather than hurt it.

I also think the Dems will think that the book will hurt the GOP.

YehuditTX on July 15, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I really don’t remember President Bush calling out President Clinton, ever.

nwpammy on July 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Despite the fact that Clinton left him al Qaeda and 9/11, and also left him Iraq. In fact, Clinton’s own Justice Department said al Qaeda and Iraq were in cahoots 3 years before 9/11.

Del Dolemonte on July 15, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Then STOP! Because it sure as hell isn’t working. Gushing BILLIONS of taxpayer money to “save/create” a FEW jobs is not a jobs recovery plan. Just STOP!

TN Mom on July 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM

OT I admit but I love this article!

Vntnrse on July 15, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Rats! Ah well, the article is humorous!

Vntnrse on July 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Taking his cue from the NAALCP Zero has to blame a typical white person.

viking01 on July 15, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Vigilante on July 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM

“That’s racist!” and “It’s Bush’s fault!”
The two most important weapons in the Democrat playbook.

JellyToast on July 15, 2010 at 11:11 PM

The two most impotent weapons in the Democrat playbook.

JellyToast on July 15, 2010 at 11:11 PM

My my have times changed!

Inanemergencydial on July 15, 2010 at 11:12 PM

ted c on July 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I haven’t smiled/laughed that hard in a long time, Ted! Brilliant! I love it, I love it, I love it!

BruthaMan on July 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM

ted c on July 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM

BruthaMan on July 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM

It cracked me up to read that D’obermann was referred to as an “aging cable broadcaster.”

onlineanalyst on July 15, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Just more proof that there needs to be an intelligence test requirement before being allowed to vote.

Sporty1946 on July 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM

BruthaMan on July 15, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I’ve been thinking about what is popularly known in the right-wing blogosphere as “Bush Derangement Syndrome”, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not derangement at all. It is a calculated strategy to influence public perceptions and to shape future election cycles.

They have tried, and continue to try, to make Bush a political pariah. Their intent is to make an example of him, and of his policies, to send a message to both the public and to future candidates that to adopt even remotely conservative positions will be to invite years or decades of misery and woe, and continual public slander for the rest of time. They’ve tried the same thing with every other successful Republican President, to paint them through sheer, consistent repetition as The Worst President Ever, destroy their reputation and make their policies seem radioactive. Even though they often make themselves look crazy in the process, by doggedly and consistently sticking to that narrative, they can eventually get it to take root in the public consciousness. And with Bush, they’ve been somewhat successful in this.

Our side NEEDS to start taking these political “games” as seriously as theirs does. There is simply too much at stake. The days of live and let live, in the political arena, are over and they’re not coming back. At least not until every last poisonous weed in this current Democrat crop has been uprooted and driven out of Washington. We need to fight them tooth and nail, to hell with decorum, to hell with unspoken rules the other side will never honor anyway, we need to speak the truth consistently and without apology, and expose the left for who they truly are. And we need to do so at every opportunity.

The same way they have tried to make an example of Bush and Cheney, we MUST, for the sake of the future, make an example of Pelosi. Of Reid. Of Obama. Of Clinton. Of Emanuel. Of Axelrod. And here’s the key point, which those on our side nearly always shy away from: we must not stop the day they leave office. We must continue to make an example of them, to point out their lies, their corruption, and their destructive policies, for years to come, even after we have defeated them at the ballot box.

Not for spite, and not for revenge. But because memories and attention spans are short, and because this republic may not survive unless we send an unequivocal message to both our current, and to our future political enemies, that this crap will no longer fly. We can no longer turn a blind eye to dishonesty and corruption, and we can no longer tolerate those who strive to tear this country down from within.

The policies and the behavior of this President and this Congress have been completely without precedent in their arrogance, audacity, destructiveness and sheer lawlessness — but that precedent has now been set, and if it’s allowed to stand, the eventual result can be nothing other than a second Civil War. Hopefully not soon, hopefully not anytime in the remotely near future, and it won’t be started by us. But history tells us that such things are unavoidable when governments display such open contempt for the rule of law and for those they govern.

Very few here would dispute the assertion that this President and this Congress are totally out of control, and the most destructive and power-hungry any of us have seen in our lifetime(s). If we really believe that, then we owe it to future generations to label them as such, to explain the reasons why, and to repeat it at every opportunity, as many times as are necessary until it is firmly established in the public consciousness. It must be a matter of record.

Otherwise, these political cancers will continue to eat away at our society until it inevitably collapses.

Cylor on July 16, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Lourdes on July 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Thats what always amazed me about GW. He was such a patriot but when it came to choosing between patriotic uniformed officers of our country and an illegal alien (repeat) drug smuggler , his concern was Vicente Fox and not his country. It wasn’t as if the prosecutors decided to make an example of these 2 agents, with no directive from the then WH.
IMHO, GWB should have restored their honor and jobs back. He did a half-a$$ commutation or whatever and then slapped a gag order on them and their families. He ended up being so scared of offending mexicans that he punished Americans even when he didn’t have to .
I’m pretty sure he will never address this issue in his memoirs. I hope he does but I feel he won’t.

macncheez on July 16, 2010 at 4:19 AM

Gob on July 15, 2010 at 9:12 PM

True. Of all the things I though Obama would be, an incessant whiner wasn’t one of them.

DSchoen on July 16, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Maybe we’re being too harsh on Big Zero.

He’s got to clean up the mess the 43 previous Presidents left for him!/sarc for the humor impaired!

SuperCool on July 16, 2010 at 6:14 AM

You mean Democratic policies like the Community Reinvestment Act, which allowed race-baiting shysters like Barry Obama to shake down banks for not making enough loans to unqualifed (to pay them back) “minority communities”? Or Democratic policies like having Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac guaranteeing (through taxpayers) millions of crappy, never-to-be-repaid mortgage loans (including 5 million HUD loans made to illegal aliens)?

Are those the doomed policies of the past that we’re not going to forget, Barry? I hope you’re right about that, but I doubt it. People have to actually know about these stupid policies before they can resolve not to forget them, and thanks to your crotch-sniffing buddies in the MSM, most Americans are clueless about how we got into this mess.

AZCoyote on July 16, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Among Republicans, 39 percent say Obama is to blame

This one claim totally invalidates everything they said. Complete BS.

Squiggy on July 16, 2010 at 6:48 AM

AZCoyote on July 16, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Which underscores the point I was trying to make, above.

Cylor on July 16, 2010 at 6:50 AM

macncheez

FailTroll! Back under your rock!

NavyspyII on July 16, 2010 at 6:52 AM