Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on July 14, 2010 by Allahpundit

But what struck me with particular power as I surveyed the Catholic media was that the vast, vast majority of Catholics reported Hitchens’ disease and then, with transparent sincerity, urged people to pray for him.

In making that recommendation, of course, they were on very sure ground indeed. Jesus said, “Love your enemies; bless those who curse you; pray for those who maltreat you.” Christopher Hitchens is undoubtedly the enemy of Christianity—even of Christians—but he is also a child of God, loved into being and destined for eternal life. Therefore, followers of Jesus must pray for him and want what is best for him.

Hitchens seeks by means of specious argument, insinuation, and sometimes plain smear-tactics to undermine religion. He ought to be opposed, vigorously, with counter-argument and clarification of fact. But all the while, he ought to be respected…

So read Christopher Hitchens; disagree with him and get angry with him; defend the faith against his attacks. And pray for him.

***
Hordes of atheists are commenting on yesterday’s post from a Catholic priest who says Christians should pray for the cancer-stricken Christopher Hitchens, even if he is an enemy of religion. Far from being touched by the priest’s gesture, the atheists are mostly offended:

“As an atheist, I find it objectionable that anyone should feel the right to pray for me because I don’t believe as they do. That’s as bad as that idiot church who thinks its a good idea to baptize dead Jews or protest at military funerals. It’s the worst kind of pandering.”

***
HH: Now Christopher, since we last spoke, your illness you disclosed on the web, and people will want to know off the bat how you are doing, and how your treatment is going.

CH: Oh well, I have, in case people are just tuning in, I have cancer in my esophagus, which has I think spread a little to my lymph nodes as well. And I’m two weeks into the chemotherapy course. So I feel pretty weak, and my voice isn’t what it was, but that’s supposed to be a good sign in that the amount of poison I’m taking is presumably working on the bad stuff as well as the good stuff. And this morning, I found that my hair was beginning to come out in the shower, which is a bit demoralizing, I have to say, even though it’s the least of it…

HH: The number of people I’m sure who are praying for you, including people who come up to me and ask me to tell you that, people like Joseph Timothy Cook, how are you responding to them, given your famous atheism?

CH: Well look, I mean, I think that prayer and holy water, and things like that are all fine. They don’t do any good, but they don’t necessarily do any harm. It’s touching to be thought of in that way. It makes up for those who tell me that I’ve got my just desserts. It’s, I’m afraid to say it’s almost as well-founded an idea. I mean, I don’t, they don’t know whether prayer will work, and they don’t know whether I’ve come by this because I’m a sinner.

HH: Oh, I…has anyone actually said that to you?

CH: Yeah, oh yes.

HH: Oh, my gosh. Forgive them. Well…

CH: Well, I mean, I don’t mind. It doesn’t hurt me. But for the same reason, I wish it was more consoling. But I have to say there’s some extremely nice people, including people known to you, have said that I’m in their prayers, and I can only say that I’m touched by the thought.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“…vast majority of Catholics reported Hitchens’ disease and then, with transparent sincerity, urged people to pray for him.”

Bunch of racists…

… but so are fisherman, farmers, and foundry workers.

/(paid for by the NAACP)

Seven Percent Solution on July 15, 2010 at 12:51 AM

may God have mercy on hitchens soul.

Dire Straits on July 15, 2010 at 12:55 AM

I would think, atheists would like to have Christians or Jews pray for them. By the atheist’s reckoning, it would just waste the believer’s time, and keep them occupied doing something completely harmless.

RBMN on July 15, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Who is this Hitchens dude?

karenhasfreedom on July 15, 2010 at 12:57 AM

There are no atheists in hell. C’mon Richard, there are also no do-overs.

Mojave Mark on July 15, 2010 at 1:00 AM

In response to the rather offended people in the second block of quotes: Folks shouldn’t be so mean.

AbaddonsReign on July 15, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Never underestimate the power of prayer.

ocbrat on July 15, 2010 at 1:11 AM

I pray for a speedy recovery for Mr. Hitchens.

ColtsFan on July 15, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Who is this Hitchens dude?

karenhasfreedom on July 15, 2010 at 12:57 AM

One of the few men with steely gonads, in spite of all his fleas.

The world needs the likes of him, especially now. May his pen continue to cut deep, for quite some time.

Schadenfreude on July 15, 2010 at 1:18 AM

I am not Jewish. But I can be mistaken for one.

One December a few years back, I was shopping in a grocery store in an area of town with a large Jewish community. This fellow in a black suit and hat with the sidecurls and the whole nine yards was handing out plastic dreidels, especially to olive-skinned people with dark hair like me, wishing a Happy Hanukkah.

Who can be offended by someone wishing you the joy of his or her holiday season, even if you don’t happen to follow that faith?

Sekhmet on July 15, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Hitchens is as unafraid to challenge Muslims as fervently as he challenges those who follow more peaceful creeds. The same cannot be said of far too many others of his creed. He is an honest man, and there are far too few of those nowadays. I hope we have him around for a long time.

Sekhmet on July 15, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Speak up man! Tell us Christians what tools we are.

Christians are just actors on your stage? That’s fairly indulgent & narcissistic, yeah?

Ugly on July 14, 2010 at 11:54 PM

What’s much more interesting is that you made what I wrote into an attack.

Speakup on July 15, 2010 at 1:25 AM

The following email was sent to psenseman@az.gov, Governor Brewer’s press secretary: July 11, 2010

The Boston Tea Party was a protest against taxation without representation. But is our representation today by the U.S. Congress any better than the colonists’ representation by the British Parliament in 1773?

Dear Mr. Senseman,

As you know, there are many unanswered questions about Barack Hussein Obama’s constitutional qualifications to act as President of the United States. Governor Brewer, or any sitting governor, for that matter, has unique standing to challenge Obama on this issue and resolve the constitutional crisis he has perpetrated on the nation by his refusal to prove that he is a “natural born Citizen” by filing a Writ of Quo Warranto.

The American people are looking to Governor Brewer to defend her state as she is doing, but also to challenge a man who has most likely assumed the office of President through dissembling and deceit, wire fraud, election fraud, and document fraud.

There is a tremendous amount of circumstantial and other evidence which points to a foreign birth for Obama, and by his own admission, he was born a dual citizen. He has also carefully described himself as “a native citizen of the United States of America” but not a “natural born Citizen.”

Article II, Section 1, paragraph 5 of the U.S. Constitution states:
No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

It is impossible for Obama to be a “natural born Citizen” if he was born with dual citizenship, and “native born” is not the same as “natural born.” Since he has never shown his original birth certificate, we also do not know his actual age.

Congress refused to check on Obama’s qualifications for office, despite thousands of requests to do so by concerned constituents before the certification of electoral votes in January 2009.

It makes no sense to mount an expensive legal defense when Governor Brewer could simply ask Obama “By what authority” his Department of Justice is suing her state and naming her as a defendant.

KentAllard on July 15, 2010 at 1:34 AM

What’s much more interesting is that you made what I wrote into an attack.

Speakup on July 15, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Did you not use the strike function for the word ‘actors’ as a reference to Christians?

If not I apologize. *rolls eyes*

How can you tell an actor Christian, by the way they act.

Speakup on July 14, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Ugly on July 15, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Praying for someone is like protesting military funerals. And atheists wonder why people tend to dislike them?

TheBlueSite on July 15, 2010 at 2:06 AM

This is where I’d like to drop an F-bomb. This well and truly sucks. Damn.

Pablo on July 15, 2010 at 2:12 AM

I will include Mr. Hitchens in my prayers tonight. He and I may not agree on many things, but he is a brilliant man, and I thank god for that. We need more like him.

azkenreid on July 15, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Yes, I’ll offer up a prayer for Hitchens, too. May God’s Word, which Hitchens must have heard at some point in his life, take downward root in his heart that God may convert Hitchens and restore him to eternal life in Christ.

SilentWatcher on July 15, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Ugly on July 15, 2010 at 1:58 AM

It was a metaphor, how can you tell that guy is an actor, by the way he acts.

Didn’t the rest of the post seem to be without animus?

Speakup on July 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Hitchens will come to God as all do, lowly sinners us all, and God will forgive him all his sins, such is the infinite mercy of our Lord God .He will show him love and mercy more blinding than all the suns he has created. This is my prayer to him.

jojostan on July 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM

An atheist is a believer who hasn’t been mugged (by life) yet.

John the Libertarian on July 15, 2010 at 2:54 AM

jojostan on July 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM

…Hitchens will no doubt thank God for creating cancer along with all those suns.

lexhamfox on July 15, 2010 at 2:56 AM

It was a metaphor, how can you tell that guy is an actor, by the way he acts.

Didn’t the rest of the post seem to be without animus?

Speakup on July 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Sure, yeah. But – what actor? Are you on about Mel?

Ugly on July 15, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Speakup on July 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM

So you’re an actor athiest.

You act like one, anyway.

Ugly on July 15, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Who says he’s a child of God? And why must followers of Jesus pray for him?

Whole lot of assumptions going on here, AP. Trust Scripture – not every human being is a child of God. I’d venture to say that most of them are Satan’s kids.

And just who are we to presume that Hitchens doesn’t know how to make choices in his life? How arrogant is it for us to dishonor his choice by praying for him to be converted?

Pretty darn arrogant, if you ask me, but certainly typical of the average Christian. They spend so much time talking about how great it’s going to be after they die that they are no good to the still-living.

If Hitchens wants prayers, he can ask for them himself.

platypus on July 15, 2010 at 3:12 AM

I’d venture to say that most of them are Satan’s kids.

platypus on July 15, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Naaw, bud, it’s not like that. Satan is just symbolic of those who rebel or reject with the hubris of believing themselves on equal footing with their Maker. It’s just an old school way of describing egotism and narcissism.

John the Libertarian on July 15, 2010 at 3:25 AM

platypus on July 15, 2010 at 3:12 AM

OH PUHLEEEZ

How many threads are there here at Hot Air that slam Atheism? HOW Many? None, that’s how many.

The majority of people here on HA are NOT Atheists, and your characterization of us as ‘typical’ is a slap in the face.

Ugly on July 15, 2010 at 3:28 AM

platypus on July 15, 2010 at 3:12 AM

A curse on you. Live and die by your beliefs. Your death will be excruciating and soon.

But, what do I know?

azkenreid on July 15, 2010 at 3:44 AM

As an athiest, I’ve never understood why other athiests get so angry about people praying for them. Really, what is prayer? Just another way of hoping for you. So, if someone says, “I hope you get better.” will you scream, “How DARE you hope I get better!!!! Stop forcing your morals on me!!!” It’s ludicrous. Let’s face a fact. people praying for your soul doesn’t mean a thing. It doesn’t effect the athiest one whit. So why get mad?

wolfva on July 15, 2010 at 4:27 AM

Nice to see Hitchens accepts the gesture in the spirit it was intended.

Caiwyn on July 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

My sentiments exactly. I ain’t Catholic but I have and continue to pray for him, as I (and many others) said the first time this came up.

Cylor on July 15, 2010 at 6:03 AM

The right to pray?? If there is no God, then there is no prayer..there is just talking in your head…so what does this guy care? See what I mean?

Terrye on July 15, 2010 at 6:39 AM

the average Christian… spend so much time talking about how great it’s going to be after they die that they are no good to the still-living…
platypus on July 15, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Hmmmmm…McPlaty,
I’d like to see your data,
sounds like it may have been
manufactured in a lab in East Anglia.

P.S. with respect to Hitch’s take-a-way:

“I have to say there’s some extremely nice people, including people known to you, have said that I’m in their prayers, and I can only say that I’m touched by the thought.”

Amen!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on July 15, 2010 at 6:40 AM

He has made an indelible mark on history.

TheSitRep on July 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I like C. Hitchens, and have much respect for him despite my opposing views. He’s a fabulous writer.

But ‘an indelible mark on history’?

He has met with Presidents, dictators, and the elite in many circles. He’s traveled the globe, penned books, and engaged in debates and speeches.

Compare him to a Man who walked the earth for thirty years, but only three in ministry. He was a carpenter by trade, born to poor, backwoods parents. He never met the important folks–or when He did, they spat on Him. He never wrote a book. Not even an article.

Which man will leave ‘an indelible mark on history’? As much as I respect C. Hitchens, in a hundred years his life will be a footnote. Jesus Christ will not. That I can guarantee.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 15, 2010 at 6:55 AM

I would say, “Pray for Christopher Hitchens, as well as all the other liberal nutcases, reformed, semi-reformed, or flaming idiots, ‘for they know not what they do.’”

On the other hand, I would also say, “Ignore their liberal rants, because they don’t pertain to anything but their own anal-retentive need to control every aspect of their environments.”

It is a sickness after all–as Michael Savage notes.

Stepan on July 15, 2010 at 7:45 AM

I seem to recall Penn Gillette saying something to the effect of, “How much do you have to hate someone to, believing that your prayers and actions would help bring someone to believe in God, choose to do nothing?”

Here’s the link, would take forever to download on my computer to get the exact quote:

Sgt Steve on July 15, 2010 at 7:53 AM

I am not an expert on this subject, so let me ask a question. Is there something about praying for someone that makes it ineffective unless you tell everyone in the world that you’re doing the praying? Why not just do the praying and stop talking about it?

It certainly gives the impression of a certain self-laudatory act. “Look at me, I get to demonstrate why Christianity is such a positive force in the world and why Hitchens is so wrong.” I can’t think of one person who disagrees with the judeo-christian tenet of “do unto others.” It’s other parts of religion that are the problem. In any case, it’s apparently “do unto others” and “take great pride in your selfless acts while telling everyone who will listen.”

An Objectivist on July 15, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Christians realize that God may have a plan for Hitch that is not apparent to us. Perhaps his destiny was to test the beliefs of others. Ergo, his soul is as precious to God as anyone’s even if he thinks he doesn’t have one.

pgrossjr on July 15, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Mr Hitchens is a sinner. We all are. He is NOT a child of God, he is a creation of God, BIG DIFFERENCE.

A child of God is one who has received the forgiveness of God through the cross and then lives in obeidience to Him.

God has given this man a life time of grace and mercy. Every breath he has ever taken was a gift by God. AS TO ALL OF US!
Why should I pray for an ENEMY of God? Well, first, God tells me to. I prayed for him, but not for healing. FOR SALVATION! He is not beyond salvation until his last breath. The death rate is 1 per person, we will all make it.

ARE YOU IN CHRIST”S RIGHTOUSNESS OR YOUR OWN?

Lisa on July 15, 2010 at 8:25 AM

[An Objectivist on July 15, 2010 at 8:03 AM]

If you read the third set of quotes, Hitch makes a case for telling someone you are praying for them:

bitsy on July 15, 2010 at 8:34 AM

An Objectivist on July 15, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Jesus addressed this in Matthew 6:6, telling believers to pray in the closet rather than wailing in the street. But as usual, Jesus focuses on intent. If you say “I’ll pray for you” to gain the approval of others, that’s wrong intent. If you say it to comfort or encourage, that’s not prideful, but gracious.

Some anti-theists gnash their teeth at this, undoubtedly. They’ve been telling me, since the news broke, that C. Hitchens rejects my pitiful prayers.

Sucks to be eaten with such hatred that you spurn well-wishes. I’m glad Hitchens is not in the category.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 15, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God
Have mercy on us all

Nyssan on July 15, 2010 at 9:04 AM

“but he is also a child of God, loved into being and destined for eternal life.”
Not eternal life but eternal existence. Eternal life is up to him.

Amendment X on July 15, 2010 at 9:10 AM

The West blah blah baptist church or whatvere it is called is far from Christian. They are the ones protesting military funerals and those people are absolutely nuts. I read their website after they protested my church and they hate anything and everything. They even had a scheduled protest against the Dallas Stars because… and I quote… “God h8s your hockey!” LOL!!!

jeffn21 on July 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM

My wife and I have been battling her cancer for sixteen years. It is back again, non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

Yes, pray for Mr. Hitchens. Pray for my wife. Pray for everyone, anyone stricken with this dreadful disease.

catmman on July 15, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Some atheists are offended by the knowledge that Christians are praying for other atheists as though it’s meant as an insult to their belief system. Their problem is that they don’t truly understand the Christian belief that to die without acknowledging Christ as your savior and seeking God’s forgiveness (acknowledgment of, and respect for Jew’s special relationship with God) is the most terrible thing of all. To condemn oneself to an eternity out of the sight of God is almost too terrible to imagine. Any Christian would be mortified at the thought of that happening to anyone and would fervently wish for that not to be so. A good Christian will not use his Christianity as a cudgel, but a lifeline to others.

Extrafishy on July 15, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I must say, I’m not a bit surprised at either the reaction by the athiest groups or Hitchens’ own reaction. It’s easy to be offended when you’re the one who doesn’t have a serious illness. Hitchens is gracious at accepting the kind wishes of those whose beliefs he opposes.

grahampowell on July 15, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Here’s what I think:

In truth, Prayer ultimately provides peace to the one who prays. That is the point of Christianity. It is not about praying for a magical cure, or wishing for the hand of God to intervene to effect a particular outcome; it is about the heart and soul of the individual, who connects with God through prayer.

mountainaires on July 15, 2010 at 9:41 AM

catmman on July 15, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Done, Sir. May God comfort you and your wife.

cjtony97 on July 15, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I feel sorry for him. But I’m not that offended by his constant mean-spirited attacks against Christians. No, what mostly offends me is condescension from someone who claims to really smart and conservative and, yet, was so dimwitted that he cast his vote for Obama. And his rationale for the vote: Obama wrote two books and, furthermore, it’s time we “got it done” (“it” being electing a black person for president). This guy is no genius, no matter how much he claims differently.

WarEagle01 on July 15, 2010 at 9:53 AM

You know, the screeching defensiveness and vituperative venom spewed by atheists is as bad as violent gay activists who wear “I Hope He Returns So We Can Kill Him Again” Jesus t-shirts.

Of course, I do not really ascribe to this view, but I just wanted to show the quoted atheist what a bigoted, ignorant moron he/she is. God Bless!

David2.0 on July 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Praying for a “conversion” is presumptuous. G-d may enlighten, but he will not force anyone to believe. And even enlightenment is connected with seeking and searching. If Hitch has no interest in either, no pray will help.

When Saul/Paul was on the road to Damascus the Lord asked him why he kicked against the goads? That is, why was he rejecting what he knew to be true from scripture.

And we are not all “children of G-d.” We are the children of Adam and may become sons of G-d.

I pray G-d will enlighten Hitch, but it is still his choice. The choice is life or death (in the age to come). If he chooses the grave, he will find nothing but the grave. G-d is not in the business of torturing anyone, but he will only grant life to those who seek it and accept it as provided for.

mankai on July 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Not eternal life but eternal existence. Eternal life is up to him.

Amendment X on July 15, 2010 at 9:10 AM

G-d alone is immortal. Man may only become immortal when he “puts on immortality” in resurrection.

mankai on July 15, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Anyone who pretends to know where Christopher Hitchens will wind up after he sheds the mortal coil is a fool. May he have a swift recovery and live a long time before that happens.

Christians aren’t privy to God’s judgment of other people. Each person is judged privately and individually, and people can be saved up until the very moment of death. As Christians, we are to hope and pray that everyone is, especially our atheist friends and acquaintances. Christians are told:

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. Luke 6:41-42 NIV

And regarding atheists who appreciate your prayers and are warriors for an orderly, civilized and decent society, as Christopher Hitchens is:

When outsiders who have never heard of God’s law follow it more or less by instinct, they confirm its truth by their obedience. They show that God’s law is not something alien, imposed on us from without, but woven into the very fabric of our creation. There is something deep within them that echoes God’s yes and no, right and wrong. Their response to God’s yes and no will become public knowledge on the day God makes his final decision about every man and woman. The Message from God that I proclaim through Jesus Christ takes into account all these differences. Romans 2:14-16 The Message

rootabaga on July 15, 2010 at 10:48 AM

rootabaga on July 15, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Couple of thoughts for you… the verse in Luke refers to one’s “brother.”… The Romans passage finishes with the conclusion that either with the Law or without it , all are sinners (3:23)… the passage you selected (from a very loose “translation” – and that is not the right word) is part of an argument that no man has excuse.

And finally, the thought ends with something we do know about the judgment of all men… since we are all sinners, we will all die. The only difference is those who will be resurrected unto immortal life. To that end, Paul and the Lord were quite clear… there is a way that leads unto life and a way that leads unto death/destruction. John wrote his gospel “that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.” Without faith, it is impossible to please God. Without that “life” there awaits only death.

Atheists, by definition, have no faith, they, therefore, do not have life.

mankai on July 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Why do atheists and non-Christians make the mistake that Christians don’t see themselves as sinners? We are all sinners, and Jesus specifically said that he came for sinners. Just as the well man has no need of a doctor, the righteous man has no need of Christ. Ah, but there’s the rub, we are all sinners (“For there is none righteous, no, not one” Romans 3:10). Recognition of man’s sinful nature should keep us humble; the more we recognize our sin, the more we hate it, and the more we recognize our need of redemption. Christianity has been so misconstrued and misinterpreted by so many for so long, how can we blame unbelievers for being skeptical?

College Prof on July 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM

“They” called his arguments specious? That’s specious. If they really cared then they’d give him half off, at least, on an indulgence. Actually, I think that we should petition the pope to donate an indulgence. It’s the least that he could do since Hitch worked for them pro bono on the canonization of M. Teresa.

whiskeytango on July 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Hmmm …

What happens if Hitchens comes through all this with a conversion?

Hehe

Well I will pray for Chris to be okay and for God to show him the truth.

HondaV65 on July 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM

But that’s the whole crux right there – you can’t stop FREE PEOPLE From thinking or expressing whatever they wish.

Atheist – you can’t believe that way (compassionate), and express yourself that way (prayers), toward an anti religionist or a anti Christian a fellow atheist.

Dear Atheist – Try And Stop Me. Be offended all day long, vent, pull your hair, tear at your skin. I got a big so what if you’re offended. Atheist don’t get to CONTROL other people, and their actions, including “thoughts” and if they so desire “prayers” if you believe in nothing, than Saying a Prayer for Hitchens is “nothing” but a big so what, so be offended by nothing, I don’t care.

Dr Evil on July 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Yeah, it’s appalling. Where did people get this silly idea that they have the right to pray?

RINO in Name Only on July 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM

KentAllard on July 15, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Thank you for that long-winded, off-topic, and bat-sh*t crazy birther screed.

RINO in Name Only on July 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM

And I have a Heart Felt “Wish” call it a “Desire” if Atheist can’t tolerate “Prayer” for Mr Hitchens, to fight this disease, and Get Well, and keep giving us all Hell for believing :)

I would rather have a live Hitchens arguing with us all than see him gone.

Dr Evil on July 15, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Christopher Hitchens is undoubtedly the enemy of Christianity…a child of God…destined for eternal life.

This guy really needs to read the NT for what it says, and not what he wants it to say…

“…I find it objectionable that anyone should feel the right to pray for me…”

Hey, choose and live out your own weltanschauung, and I’ll do mine, thank you very much.

It makes up for those who tell me that I’ve got my just desserts.

Grrr–and aids is judgement on homosexuals, and 9/11 happened because of America drifting away from God. Wish I had a hot line to the Creator like these clowns seem to have. [sarc off] I supposed Job got got his “just desserts” then, with all his kids dead, him ruined and sitting among ashes, scraping the sores covering his body with a potsherd?

My weekly Bible study, which usually has at least a couple dozen people attending, prayed for the Hitch. There are at least three people that have/have had cancer in that group, and we pray regularly for many more that have cancer, believers or not. My heart goes out to the Hitchens family as well.

bandarlog on July 15, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Perhaps after selling indulgences and molesting and raping Boys, the catholics should pray for themselves…..

Observation on July 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Sekhmet on July 15, 2010 at 1:19 AM

I tend to agree. But I wonder what muslims would give out at Ramadan? Little vests? Timers?

Squiggy on July 15, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Christopher Hitchens is a talent on loan from God….and no penalty will he have to pay for his talents are his deeds!

justonevictory on July 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Observation on July 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I doubt that they’d waste their time with such nonsense, afterall, “Father knows best”.

whiskeytango on July 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Talking about atheists…..have you looked at Hitchens face and seen such an angry and unhappy face????? and that was BEFORE he was told he had cancer….. If Hitchens wants prayers..he’ll ask for them…..

jordy2009 on July 15, 2010 at 3:40 PM

jordy2009 on July 15, 2010 at 3:40 PM

That’s the face of a man trying to enjoy a Single Malt Scotch whilst having to explain to people that there is no boogy-man.

whiskeytango on July 15, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Observation on July 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM

That is a horrid comment. If you knew anything about Catholicism, which you don’t, you would know that most of the good works/hospitals/charity orgs have been Catholic. Yes, some Catholics have been flawed. Most are not. Most try to live a Christ-like life.

chai on July 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I’ve always prayed for Christopher. Did not know until I clicked in here today that he has cancer. Such an insidious disease, playing no favorites. Saint, sinner, believer, non-believer all get equal treatment. Hope he beats it and I hope he recognizes that this life here on earth isn’t all there is.

Mae on July 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Hmmm …

What happens if Hitchens comes through all this with a conversion?

Hehe

Well I will pray for Chris to be okay and for God to show him the truth.

HondaV65 on July 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM

You have a firm grasp on the concept.

applebutter on July 15, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Observation on July 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Didn’t get what you paid for when you purchsed your last set of indulgences? Or is this just sour grapes because you don’t want competition in your hunt for young boys?

I’ll be praying for your sorry butt.

applebutter on July 15, 2010 at 4:56 PM

mankai on July 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I encourage you & anyone else to read Romans 2:14-16 in any version of the Bible you find most legitimate. It says the same thing. The verse was written by Paul, formerly Saul, who persecuted Christians much more viciously than Christopher Hitchens ever has. Paul was not only saved, but wrote the majority of the New Testament. So I would not be ready to write off Mr. Hitchens just yet even if it were something that I had the power to do.

And neither you nor I nor any other Christian knows what is inside Christopher Hitchens heart and soul. Only God does, and he will be the judge, not us. I trust in his mercy, love and patience, and I pray for Mr. Hitchens. For his soul, and for his experience right now with cancer. His remarks about being touched by the prayers being said for him do not indicate a hardened heart in my opinion.

rootabaga on July 15, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I was reponding to comments over at CNN webpage Hot Air links to and two of my comments were deleted.

This is a third post which it appears that CNN refuses to allow:

Hmmm isn’t that curious now?

I responded to this offensive post by Kevin G quoted below with factual information from the the John Jay College of Criminal Justice study of the abuse in the American Catholic Church and other empirical studies. I identified the actual criminal perpetators of that sex abuse (yyyyyyyyyys) and my comment is delete! Yet this offensive mockery of Catholicism remains on CNN’s comment page.

“Kevin G

no more buggerrring little boys RC chruch & hierarchy!
July 15, 2010 at 4:56 pm”

Then I respond to Kate:

“Kate

Let me guess ? he also carried ‘the word of Christ’ with him.
July 16, 2010 at 8:36 am”

In my response to Kate I pointedly asked about Mao’s Little Red Book, and described the Shining Path Maoist terrorists who were operating in the Andes at the time my cousin was feeding the poor etc. I accurately characterized the Maoist Shining Path as (yyyyyyyy) and CNN deletes my comment again?

WOW!

this was the post that Kate was responding to:

Mike O’Malley
So my cousin, a Catholic priest, who went into one of the poorest of poorest regions of the Andes mountains carrying medicine on his back and food on his horse to aid the poorest of Native American Indians, in a place government won’t go, where the UN won’t go, where the Marxist won’t go and where the Cocaine snorting American secularists won’t go, is “clever business person() who trade(s) on weaknesses sick persons ….the priests survive on raligious trade, which is not taxed”?!
My cousin is a big guy. Each time he went into the Andes to deliver medicine and food to the poor he stayed for six months to a year and lost much of his body weight (around 40%) because he would give away the food. His religious order would pull him out of the mountains when starvation and disease would put him in risk of death. But he’d go back, over and over again carrying in food and medicine and the sacraments for the poor… until in fatigue one day he fell off his horse and off a mountainside and nearly died and was near crippled. His religious order didn’t even know he was injured and dieing for three weeks because my cousin’s mission was so remote the government had no representative there. It took them a month to get to my cousin and bring him to a hospital. He never fully recovered from his injuries and now he cares for poor Hispanics in the USA.
So tell me Innaiah Narisetti, when was the last time YOU carried medicine and food into the mountains for the poor and cared for dieing Indian children through the night?
July 16, 2010 at 7:51 am

Thanks for letting me document what CNN thinks is inappropriate and offensive.

Mike OMalley on July 16, 2010 at 11:47 AM

You act like one, anyway.

Ugly on July 15, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Not so much and no I’m not, and, you have chip on your shoulder, don’t be so surprised when somebody knocks it off for you.

Speakup on July 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM