Whoopi: Gibson not a racist racist

posted at 12:55 pm on July 13, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Hmmm. Let’s see if we have this straight. Tea Party activists opposing big-spending programs by a Democratic President who happens to be black? Racist. Big Hollywood star tells girlfriend that her tight clothes will get her raped by “a pack of f*****g n******s”? Nuanced. Even Joy Behar has trouble with Whoopi Goldberg’s attempt to use the “some of Mel Gibson’s best friends are black” defense on The View, and the two start playing their Complete Moral Authority cards in a liberal meltdown. Pass the popcorn and watch the clip from Mediaite:

You can say he’s being a bonehead but I can’t sit and say that he’s a racist having spent time with him in my house with my kids. I can’t say it and so I really just need to say that. I don’t like what he’s done. Make no mistake. …

Drunks say stupid stuff to people all the time because they’re drunk. They’re out of control. They are not thinking they are idiotic. That’s why I don’t like alcohol. I can’t say anything about that because I know what people are like when they’re drunk. This rant, I don’t think he’s drunk on this rant.

Except, as Mediaite’s Glynnis MacNicol points out, Gibson didn’t sound drunk at all in the clips aired by Radar Online. He certainly sounds like a bonehead, as Whoopi calls him, but last I checked, bonehead and racist are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they almost always go together, just like bonehead usually goes with misogynist. Who’d have thought that two liberal women on television would debate the finer points of racism and anti-Semitism in this kind of situation, and not mention the fact that the clip also included threats of violence against the mother of the man’s child? It’s like double standards squared on The View.

However, they may not be that out of the mainstream. Survey USA surveyed 500 adults in the Los Angeles area and found that Gibson hasn’t done a tremendous amount of damage to the brand. Only 39% had an unfavorable view of Gibson, with men and women holding identical 39% negative assessments. A majority of 52% believe Gibson can rehabilitate his image, and 61% said they would go see a new Gibson movie when it hits the screens. He may not even have to hit the Betty Ford Clinic with those numbers.

Update: I had the Gibson quote slightly incorrect, Jim Treacher e-mails; it should have read “a pack of …” Which, as Jim says, is actually somewhat worse.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Folks, Mel AnninCA is truly an alcoholic idiot in the late stages.

There is a no solution.

AnninCA on July 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM

AsianGirlInTights on July 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I thought Gibson was going to have a heart attack or a stroke.

jeanie on July 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM

There are all types of indications that Mel Gibson is a severe and chronic alcoholic. That his speech doesn’t sound slurred is no indication that he wasn’t drunk. He probably routinely has a high BAC level, from the time he wakes up in the morning with a beer.

That being said, what he said on those tapes was truly shocking and outrageous, and demonstrates that not only does he hold some racist views, he is apparently an unrepentant batterer.

If his career isn’t over, than things are worse in Hollywood than I imagined. And I imagine it as being an open sewer.

JohnGalt23 on July 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM

His career may be over but I’ll bet it’s not for this reason. He is just getting too old for the type of roles he’s been playing. This guy appears to have such deep set problems that it’s hard not to feel some compassion for him on a humanitarian level.. I hope he gets some help. He’s not alone though, there are a lot worse than him in the movie world.(We’ve just been reading about one of them who won’t be extradited)

jeanie on July 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM

You’re just itching to spill some slurs aren’t ya? Go big, big boy!

Oh wait, you’re too big of a wuss. You would prefer if you could make slurs against anybody BUT did not have to deal with the fallout.

Grow a pair, WUSS!

The Race Card on July 13, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Oh, it’s you again. Funny how much you spaz out over this issue, such a spineless douche. I know it’s cute how you overcompensate for your white guilt by letting everyone else know how racist they are.

I pretty much slur you every chance I get, the only difference between me and you though is that I would have no problem doing it to your face. See the real women’s genitals are nerds like yourself who no longer have to fear the daily beatings they got in high school by hiding behind adult assault laws. That is what leads to the mouthy poindexters like yourself.

Enjoy your self imposed misery, I just don’t give a fvck about the contrived issue anymore.

ClassicCon on July 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM

All day and no thread yet?

Totally off topic:

Oakland Police Chief Anthony Bates listed exactly 44 situations that his officers will no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, car wrecks, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

Here’s a partial list:

* burglary
* theft
* embezzlement
* grand theft
* grand theft:dog
* identity theft
* false information to peace officer
* required to register as sex or arson offender
* dump waste or offensive matter
* discard appliance with lock
* loud music
* possess forged notes
* pass fictitious check
* obtain money by false voucher
* fraudulent use of access cards
* stolen license plate
* embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
* extortion
* attempted extortion
* false personification of other
* injure telephone/ power line
* interfere with power line
* unauthorized cable tv connection
* vandalism
* administer/expose poison to another’s

Negotiations are going on at Oakland City Hall in the mayor’s office.

Batts said the 80 officers slated to be laid off – mostly new officers – are “pretty sad and pretty depressed,” and those feelings are shared by the Police Department as a whole.

The Oakland City Council voted June 25 to eliminate the positions to help close the city’s $32.5 million funding gap. According to the city of Oakland, each of the 776 police officers currently employed at OPD costs around $188,000 per year. Most of the officers who will be affected by the layoffs were on the streets of Oakland when Johannes Mehserle’s involuntary manslaughter conviction caused riots last Thursday.

The sticking point in negotiations appears to be job security.

maverick muse on July 13, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Again, I have to wonder how much of the rant was due to prodding by Grigoriyeva, conveniently not on the tapes?

Anybody remember Usenet? I remember getting in a real humdinger of a debate, where one of the people I was debating was all sweetness and light on the newsgroup, and naaasty to me over e-mail, in hopes of making me look like the nasty one.

Then I posted all his e-mails to the newsgroup, in order to expose his game. Didn’t hear from him after that…

Sekhmet on July 13, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I remember Usenet. Pre-internet days. Well, there are professional racists, Sharpton being one. Makes his money off of keeping the fire going. Like a crooked fireman/insurance salesman who keeps a can of gas in the trunk of his car or a lawyer abulance driver.

johnnyU on July 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM

FIFY

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Right on! I like the way you fixed that!!! =)

roxi618 on July 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Gee…. He must not have used the “n” word….it’s the only standard you know….

CynicalOptimist on July 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM

The talk about what Mel Gibson did show the moral insanity of our society. Gibson was being abusive towards his wife, and we are concerned about committed a racist thought crime. We should be reacting to how he was abusing his wife.

We have gone off the deep end in fighting racism, and it’s screwing up our moral compass. Our world would be a much better place if the word “racism” wasn’t uttered for the next five years, and the seventeen bozos in the KKK can be safely ignored for the that time period.

thuja on July 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Ok, I confess. I don’t get it.

Is there some kind of “man crush” you are trying to deal with here Ed?

Who gives a flip what some airhead actor said?

Jim708 on July 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM

At least Whoopi’s position seems consistent with the responses to Sandra Bernhard’s similar statement regarding Sarah Palin back in 2008.

Given that, I have to assume that most of the outrage directed towards Gibson is feigned. It’s already been established that it’s no big deal to wish for someone to be gang-raped by a group of African-American males.

malclave on July 13, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Mel can survive this if he changes his ways. If being an *** **** was a career killer in Hollywood, there would be very few left. Racist? Well the statement is racist. It is certainly misogynistic. He has in the past said antisemetic things. Whether he believes it? I do not know. He might believe some of it. He needs to reign himself in. If not, well that is his decision.

Mr. Joe on July 13, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Drunk or not–he didn’t sound drunk in the 3 tapes I heard; Ari Emmanuel vendetta or not, I never liked Mel or his movies. I’m no fan of the Russian ex-girlfriend either, but she should stay far, far away from him. He seems as if he’s about to blow.

Urban Infidel on July 13, 2010 at 8:52 PM

You have to remember that it’s a colloquial phrase and not something that applies to anyone or even any group of people in particular. Kind of like “Indian giver.” From that point, it’s quite acceptable to the point where you can use it around your children.

Seriously, you have to give Whoopi a lot of credit. It sounds like Mel is a friend of hers and she’s standing up for him. Despite the fact that she’ll undoubtedly get a lot of criticism for her comments.

bayam on July 13, 2010 at 9:48 PM

If Gibson’s remarks were directed at Whoopi/her kids, would he still get a pass?!

TN Mom on July 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM

C’mon, if the idiot can’t recognize rape for what it is, is it much of a shock she can’t recognize racism when it screams in her face?

SuperCool on July 13, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I think this is a whole bunch simpler.

Mel is an alcoholic.
He’s headed into the late stages, which is either jail or institution.

He either gets sober or he’ll die this way.

AnninCA on July 13, 2010 at 4:02 PM

While I can’t say that I agree with AnninCA often, she has this one right.

Unless you have been involved with an alcoholic, seen recovery and relapse, as is the case with Mr. Gibson, it is way too simple to think you know what you are looking at, when in fact you do not.

When an alcoholic picks up a drink after years of sobriety, the disease does not pick up where it left off years before. Instead, it manifests itself as if the drinker had never stopped drinking at all

The Jewish actress that played Mary in the Passion indicated that Gibson was nothing but polite and warm and friendly. Whoopie had that same experience with the sober Gibson.

Now to get instant @sshole, add alcohol after the long period of abstinence. He may or may not have meant what he said. (It is possible that he may not even remember what he said, in a blackout.) In either case, he is accountable for what he said. And he is accountable for his actions.

I pray that he gets to AA or whatever can exorcise the demons that have him now, ’cause it sucks to be him.

skeeter on July 14, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Excellent analysis Ed!! I can’t add anything more.

Dollayo on July 14, 2010 at 2:08 AM

I love watching Libs parse words. LOL

Ricohoc on July 14, 2010 at 4:00 AM

Well, uh…at least she’s consistently inconsistent? Or something.

Cylor on July 14, 2010 at 7:24 AM

I ask, how many of you have heard these words and/or worse on rap recordings, and it is sooooo cool. However, a white person talking that way is a racist deserving of being the target of a drive by.

MSGTAS on July 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM

This whole Gibson thing is so revelatory of those who look down their noses at others, confident of their superiority, and entirely sure of themselves. They are aghast, Gibson is a racist, a sexist. They seem so pleased with themselves. One was “outraged” at Gibson’s rage. But they so easily discount Mel’s humanity, what could be worse. Mel is offensive, but those pointing at him, so sure of their own moral superiority, they are no better.

Paul-Cincy on July 14, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Well, there is a difference between using recist remarks and actually being racist…

Opinionnation on July 14, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Whoopi Cushion doing what she does best: making a lot of useless noise.

Dark-Star on July 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM