Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on July 13, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

ABC News reports that Michelle Obama made her first trip to the Gulf this week, surveying the damage and trying to keep morale high in the region. To that end, the First Lady extolled the virtues of the Gulf region, encouraging Americans not to avoid it but to spend their tourist dollars in the affected states:

On her first trip to the Gulf Coast since the BP oil spill, First Lady Michelle Obama encouraged Americans to consider vacationing on the region’s beaches that have not been directly impacted by oil.

“It is vacation time. Folks are looking for things to do with their kids, and this would be a great opportunity to do a few things — help this community, send a different message about the extent of the spill, and also think long term about how the rest of the country can help this economy and the folks down here,” Mrs. Obama said at the Panama City Welcome Center. …

Mrs. Obama said the word needs to get out to Americans that there are “beautiful beaches” along the Gulf Coast and it’s a great time for families to come down with their kids.

“There are still thousands of miles of beaches that have not been touched by the spill,” the first lady said. “And there are communities that thrive on tourism and on the economic power of beaches that have not been damaged.”

It’s a good message to get out to the US, but that might not be enough. Having a high-profile family lead the way by taking a vacation on those shores would be an even bigger boost. The media would cover it extensively and reach even more Americans who might consider a Gulf vacation for a family getaway.

As it happens, the Obama family is taking a vacation. Will the President follow his wife’s advice?

The Obama family will be taking a mini-vacation of their own this weekend, but instead of going to the Gulf Coast they are traveling to Maine’s Mount Desert Island, home of Acadia National Park.

Well, it’s not quite as far as President Obama could go in the lower 48 to get away from the Gulf, but it’s close. I wonder if the golfing’s better in Maine…

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day! Chris has started his annual fund drive, so be sure to visit the DBD site and keep DBD in action!

Comments

I know you really meant lower 56, didn’t you Ed?

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Gulf coast for thee but not for me

cmsinaz on July 13, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Par for the Øbama course: Say one thing, do another. One thing for thee, something else for me.

………

Are they rolling out Michelle now? Just what his tanking polls need, more face time for this bitter wretch.

petefrt on July 13, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Do as I say, not as I do.

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM

So it’s sorta like Jaws then: The mayor tells everyone the beach is safe, but does he go down into the water? (And if life follows art, does this mean the WH will be getting some of their high profile associates to vacation in the gulf for photo-ops?)

apostic on July 13, 2010 at 8:13 AM

They will head to Martha’s vineyard later….

D’oh!

cmsinaz on July 13, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I suppose the SRM will give them a pass on this. Again.

conservative pilgrim on July 13, 2010 at 8:15 AM

He might be going to Maine… but at least we know that “he will not rest.”

Red Cloud on July 13, 2010 at 8:16 AM

They’re a bunch of hypocrites.

conservative pilgrim on July 13, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Are these just the stupidest people out there? Vacation in the gulf, meanwhile, we’ll be up in Maine – OMG! I hope she stays out there front and center, talking away, can’t get enough Michelle!

PatMac on July 13, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Most families I know aren’t going anywhere for vacation since they are holding on by their fingernails financially. Meanwhile, the first family of bad fashion, endless vacations and disdain for the USA once again lecture the peasantry. Possibly a new law needs to be passed during a recess at two a.m. that as part of reparations, everyone in the N.E. who pays taxes needs to pilgrimage to the Gulf, or answer to the IRS and New Black Panthers.

Hening on July 13, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Dear Leader works vacations in mysterious ways.

trubble on July 13, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I was looking for rooms in LA and found no shortage but some town that began with H was almost full. And I haven’t found bargains. If they are so desperate why aren’t they on the web’s “last minute deals” or etc?

The party I knew who went down there for scandal said that their is a real effort to keep the issue out of the news. He prefers to keep quiet about it. Weird.

They are also discouraging volunteers from coming down to help out. I registered and heard nothing. And I have some reason to believe that they can use me. Oh well…

IlikedAUH2O on July 13, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Going to Maine and not resting…?

messages.

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I see the glass half-full here.
It could be worse.
He could have gone to Mecca.

jeff_from_mpls on July 13, 2010 at 8:21 AM

If we win back the congress, we have to make sure we don’t go off and become the party of Prosecute Obama. We have a chance, a real chance to gain a real foothold here and make the country believe in the Republican party again. We can break the cycle and really make this thing last.

tomas on July 13, 2010 at 8:26 AM

apostic on July 13, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Or Ibsen’s Enemy of the People: Cover up the health hazard in the water; demonize those who try to reveal/solve the problem.

Disturb the Universe on July 13, 2010 at 8:26 AM

The ObaMaos are more likely to rub elbows with the wealthy at Bar Harbor than in the Gulf states. Priorities, folks.

onlineanalyst on July 13, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I know you really meant lower 56, didn’t you Ed?

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:08 AM

It’s the “lower 55″, silly. Doesn’t anybody know U.S. geography?!

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:28 AM

tomas: Based on what we are seeing in Congress currently, Andy McCarthy does not see much fight in the Republicans:

onlineanalyst on July 13, 2010 at 8:29 AM

It’s the “lower 55″, silly. Doesn’t anybody know U.S. geography?!

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:28 AM

must be my flyover-state-publik-skoo education showing through, eh? Not all of us can go to USNA prep school…./

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:29 AM

tomas on July 13, 2010 at 8:26 AM

You’re jumping the gun. Really jumping the gun. First things first or, at the next false start, you will have to be disqualified.

ExpressoBold on July 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM

and geography is spelt g-e-o-l-o-g-y…yep, that’s it, the study of maps made from rocks…..my teacher tolt me so, right before she tolt me to tell my mommy’s baby daddy to take all the kidth to the gulf for vacaycay

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Obviously, you don’t know what a Navy Mustang is either.

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:32 AM

……The out of touch and major disconnect the Obama’s have to the realities around them is unbelievable.

…….they literally show up…read from a script….and then take off without having the slightest clue what’s going on, or what the words mean that are coming out of their mouths.

Baxter Greene on July 13, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Meanwhile, Michelle is whipping up the racist rant, stirring up the troops for the November voting push…yeah, don’t let those wild tea partiers express themselves.
Tea party carries signs, liberals carry guns, knives, and kick’in boots.
Tea party rallies to lower taxes…Michelle goes up and tells the NAACP, don’t get pushed around, fight back.
The only fights, the only intimidation, is from union thugs, and black activists.
So it is best that Obama’s don’t vacation down in the gulf, they will just bring violence.

right2bright on July 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Obviously, you don’t know what a Navy Mustang is either.

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:32 AM

sure I does. It’s a guy who could both shine boondockers at the quarterdeck at Great Lakes and make it to PO1 before he figured out that it’s easier to bag female lieutenants that look like Demi Moore if he was a lieutenant himself……say it ain’t so?

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Obviously, you don’t know what a Navy Mustang is either.

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Isn’t that what they ride in water polo games…a Navy mustang…

right2bright on July 13, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Onlineanalyst: depressing and could very well happen….need some cajones in the house

cmsinaz on July 13, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Isn’t that what they ride in after water polo games…a Navy mustang…

right2bright on July 13, 2010 at 8:35 AM

? what up?//

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM

How many seats on the plane is she occupying nowadays? Do they remove the arm rests before she sits down?

petefrt on July 13, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Why does Obama need to take a vacation away from a vacation? Working families want to know.

Working families like the 12,000 people in New Orleans out of work due to Baracky’s drilling moratorium.

fogw on July 13, 2010 at 8:37 AM

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM

It ain’t so, shipmate. I had to make Chief first.

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:38 AM

It ain’t so, shipmate. I had to make Chief first.

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:38 AM

but I was right about the boondockers and the lieutenants?….

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Barry: “Ah, the golfing here is fantastic. Wait, did I forget something before we left?”

Rahm: “Waive the Jones act?”

Barry: “No… that wasn’t it…”

Rahm: “Waive the EPA standards so the A-Whale can clean up?”

Barry: “No…”

Rahm: “Hard pivot to jobs?”

Barry: “Nope…”

Rahm: “Your favorite golfing socks?”

Barry: “That’s it! Can you run back and get them for me?”

Daggett on July 13, 2010 at 8:44 AM

petefrt on July 13, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Silly, they have couches on AF1 that can accomodate even the largest of rumps.

thomasaur on July 13, 2010 at 8:44 AM

but I was right about the boondockers and the lieutenants?….

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Wrong on all counts. Never could get a shine on those boondockers, didn’t spend much time on the q-deck and as far as bagging LT’s like Demi Moore, I set my sights a little higher than that.

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Obama is continuing the Bush administration vacation policy.

Jaynie59 on July 13, 2010 at 8:47 AM

I went fishing offshore this past weekend. I went out through Redfish Pass that is just north of Sanibel/Captiva islands. I went about 65 miles out seeing NO OIL. I returned near sunset. Normally, the beaches are covered with people waiting for sunset. They were virtually empty. South Seas is a restort located at the pass. It looked like a ghost town. A couple of weeks ago, I read that the bookings just a few miles south in the Naples area are off 85%. As I went from the pass to the canal where my home is located (about a dozen miles), I saw ONE other boat (see below)….. this was Saturday late afternoon/evening on a perfect weather day. The “normal” traffic I have experienced in prior years was very heavy…. pleasure boaters coming in, fishermen coming in, people going out to go to their favorite waterfront dining establishment, folks on SeaDoos or JetSkis zipping about as they headed home. I passed one of the “sunset cruise” vessels heading out. It was a double-decker capable of and typically holding nearly 80-100 people. There were FIVE (not counting the crew) people on board.

Barack Husseain Obama. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm.

CC

CapedConservative on July 13, 2010 at 8:54 AM

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM

What kind of CPO and are you still active?

Oldnuke on July 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Jaynie59 on July 13, 2010 at 8:47 AM

The difference is that W did some management activity during, and between, breaks

IlikedAUH2O on July 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Jaynie59, at least the Bush’s owned their vacation property in Kennebunkport. I wonder who the Obamas leaned on to get a place.

fogw on July 13, 2010 at 8:58 AM

This is probably some kind of quid quo pro with the Maine Senator twins in exchange for their votes on some piece of leftist legislation.

pain train on July 13, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Granny Jan’s video. Be sure and check out Part 1, Obama’s visit to the Gulf pleas. I put a link under the video. To be fair it’s the Gulf this year for their August vacation, not the Vineyard…that is when the cap freezes over.

The First Hypocrites- Michelle O Encourages People to Vacation on the Gulf while heading to Maine

No Niks on July 13, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Obama is continuing the Bush administration vacation policy.

Jaynie59 on July 13, 2010 at 8:47 AM

What? R U serious?

lukespapa on July 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM

He’s buying Snowe’s vote on the financial bill. She votes for it, he goes to Maine for a vacation. Helps Maine with it’s tourist business.

Kissmygrits on July 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Let them eat cake.

TimBuk3 on July 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM

The last word in “Do as we say, not as we do!”, done only as Mama Michelle can.

pilamaye on July 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM

IlikedAUH2O on July 13, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I was called a liar.

There is a page discouraging volunteers.

And my friend had a problem with the local NBC or someone in the news biz who didn’t like his use of the POTUS image. Must be nice to have the media acting as your PR department or truth squad! This was just before MSNBC attacked administration and the fireside chat…

And I apologize for using “their” for there in the text.

IlikedAUH2O on July 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM

lol

It would have been okay I guess if she had even brought her daughters for the survey. But then, how would it benefit “them”.

hawkdriver on July 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM

It ain’t so, shipmate. I had to make Chief first.

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Heh heh. Kids…. Doesn’t anyone go warrant anymore…?

apostic on July 13, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I live in Texas, so visiting the gulf was easy. We already have plans to go to Louisiana next week, and in the fall. My bigger plan includes spending some money in Arizona soon. Hello, Grand Canyon!

Paleoconservatarian on July 13, 2010 at 9:18 AM

“It is vacation time. Folks are looking for things to do with their kids, and this would be a great opportunity to do a few things — help this community…and also think long term about how the rest of the country can help this economy and the folks down here

IN ARIZONA.

itsnotaboutme on July 13, 2010 at 9:19 AM

IlikedAUH2O on July 13, 2010 at 8:19 AM

CapedConservative on July 13, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I have heard it said that businesses in the region have actually been put between a rock and a hard place with the BP relief fund. If Chambers of Commerce or whatevah regional/state entity advertises like crazy and gets people down there, they are jeapordizing the amount of relief funds for which they are eligible…
…Hail just one more example of good intentions making bad policy…
“Hey! Let’s give all the folks affected by Katrina Visa cards. It’s not like they’d use them in casinos and strip joints or anything.”

Chewy the Lab on July 13, 2010 at 9:20 AM

You don’t really expect our man of the people to go to the Redneck Riviera, do you? There’s a shortage of friendly pols and donors there. I mean, some of the people down there like fried food and NASCAR, for goodness sake!

obladioblada on July 13, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Chewy the Lab on July 13, 2010 at 9:20 AM

You are right. Just don’t tell anyone I’m a redneck and it bothers me as much to see a Mexican flag waving as the glorious CSA battle standard.

However, I give kudos to The First Lady for saying this anyway. She may have made a better Prez…

I was half expecting King James to do something to help some of the resorts down there instead of reserving 35 suites in South Beach. I have a very hard time seeing him as a “runaway slave” but I lack imagination and sensitivity at times.

I think that the media is working the time angle. Right now the oil spill hurts the Dems. Later we will see all kinds of devstation as alternative energy is promoted.

IlikedAUH2O on July 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM

NavyMustang on July 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM

heh. good one—

ted c on July 13, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Their “mini-vacation” is my regular vacation.

Ortzinator on July 13, 2010 at 11:18 AM

As a frequent vistor to the Gulf Coast, Thank God!

On much of the MS/AL/FL coast there is ONE coast road along the beaches, Hwy 98. To have the Secret Service close it off would be a pain in the A$$.

Send those White House staff chicks that were playing Beer Pong! They might have good looking friends.

barnone on July 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Do as I say, not as I do.
ted c on July 13, 2010

It’s how Obama defines leadership.

Extrafishy on July 13, 2010 at 11:32 AM

For the nth time I am ashamed of our first family.

jukin on July 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

C’mon. Michelle, and bumble head just dictate. They don’t need to heed their own advice.

capejasmine on July 13, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Do as I say, and not as I do, and shut up.

That’s what he really wants.

Oldnuke on July 13, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Oh my, they demuzzled and tranquilized her…

Schadenfreude on July 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM

let’s see….which one?

Northeast Harbor Golf Club Northeast Harbor ME 4.6 mi.
Causeway Club Southwest Harbor ME 4.7 mi.
Kebo Valley Club Bar Harbor ME 7.2 mi.
Bar Harbor Golf Course Ellsworth ME 9.7 mi.
Grindstone Neck Golf Course Winter Harbor ME 12.6 mi.
White Birches Country Club Ellsworth ME 16.8 mi.
Island Country Club Sunset ME 20.4 mi.
Castine Golf Club Castine ME 22.9 mi.
Bucksport Golf Club Bucksport ME 25.7 mi.
Lucerne Hills Golf Club East Holden ME 27.6 mi.
Searsport Pines Golf Course Searsport ME 29.3 mi.

Renee on July 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Obama is continuing the Bush administration vacation policy.

Jaynie59 on July 13, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Are you drunk? At 8:00 AM? Your research assignment: How many times did Bush go golfing after 9/11? How about all 8 years of his term?

And what the hell is all this talk about gophers anyway?

2ipa on July 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I own my own pest control business. I haven’t had a vacation of any kind since 2004.
Obama makes me sick to my stomach…literally.

His, “I will not rest” crap makes me wanna hurl.

Army Brat on July 14, 2010 at 1:20 AM