Nuclear war: Megyn Kelly vs. Kirsten Powers over Black Panther case

posted at 4:16 pm on July 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

Simply excruciating. If you can’t spare time for the whole thing (the intro from Brad Sherman’s townhall is worth watching), the bombs start falling at 3:45. What makes this more amazing than the average cable-news screamfest, of course, is that Powers has been on-staff at Fox for years and therefore usually enjoys a respectful comfort level with the host. Not here. MK’s at her throat from the word go (“you don’t know what you’re talking about!”) and KP all but accuses her of inciting racial hysteria with her coverage of the Panther case (“scary black man”) before Kelly eventually threatens to cut her mic. The hostility’s genuinely shocking. Ironic that a lefty who’s derided by the nutroots for being some sort of Roger Ailes stooge would be the one to lob a grenade that explosive at the network’s biggest rising star.

Much as it pains me to say it, KP’s also guilty of moving the goalposts. First she questions whether there really was voter intimidation by the Panthers; when Kelly presses her, she backs off and concedes that, okay, maybe there was wrongdoing — before wondering why Kelly didn’t show the same level of outrage when the Bush DOJ started prosecuting fewer voting rights cases. Which is fine, I guess, but it’s awfully late in the game to start noticing that cable news nets cover stories from a partisan viewpoint. Why, just last night our friend Olby selectively omitted facts about this story based on a misleading post on a lefty blog. In fact, maybe that’s what’s really most shocking here — not the hostility but KP’s willingness to express such skepticism about her own network’s integrity.

The punchline? Unless I missed something during vacation last week, we’re still not sure whether Kelly’s right that the Panthers case represents a systematic pattern of refusing to prosecute civil rights cases with minority defendants or whether KP’s right that this is basically an isolated incident. That’s the central issue, but there’s been no formal determination. J. Christian Adams insists that it’s systematic — here’s his piece at Pajamas Media insisting that Julie Fernandes (whom Kelly mentions) explicitly told DOJ lawyers to stay away from, for instance, “motor voter” cases — but the Civil Rights Commission’s investigation is ongoing. Dare we hope for round two between MK and KP when they announce their conclusions?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Clearly this argument will only be settled by a wrestling match in a giant bowl of jello whilst they wear flimsy PJ’s.

Alden Pyle on July 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Couldn’t they have this argument naked in a big bowl of jello

georgealbert on July 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Hah beat me to it.

Alden Pyle on July 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM

FYI: KP is prolife.
The superstition really was helping your argument, though. You should totally keep that up.

Bee on July 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Sorry, Bee. Maybe a dyed-in-the-wool leftist-clinton-turned-obama-lover-come-hell-or-high-water like KP could be pro-life under whatever rock you live under, but here in the sunshine, that claim, (“words, just words”) even if it were made by Kirsten herself, just won’t wash.

It’s kind of like supporting Hitler, tooth and nail, but also claiming to support Jews.

Try to keep up, little Bee. I know you are trying, but that doesn’t cut it here.

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 10:35 PM

MadisonConservative on July 13, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Full-strength heathen beams?! Uh oh…boomerang effect. You forgot who you’re dealing with here. Milquetoast atheist level is the way to go.

Bee on July 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Not so much a “Nuclear War” as “Meg dumps Ivy Mike on The Puny Powers Atoll.”

Obliteration…the poor, hapless dupe girl never really stood a chance.

SuperCool on July 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM

MadisonConservative on July 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Once again, you reveal yourself as the pig you are.

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Bee and Madison Conservative: sewage seeking it’s level.

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 10:41 PM

RESPECT KP.

Allahpundit on July 13, 2010 at 4:36 PM

KP really did blow a golden opportunity to earn some serious cred and respect during that exchange, didn’t she, AP? Kinda feel a little sorry for her. Once a person compromises their principles and personal integrity, there’s no amount of backpedaling that will recover that aura. Really a shame.

KendraWilder on July 13, 2010 at 10:43 PM

KP is either dumb as a box of rocks or drinking the Kool Aid.

Alden Pyle on July 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Mel Gibson called……

joedoe on July 13, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Kirsten never answered when asked if she read that article and she also went back to Bush as an excuse. How lame can you get? I almost felt sorry for her. But dang…..Megyn is good looking.

Rudemeister on July 13, 2010 at 11:09 PM

..Yes, this did turn into a shout fest…..but the overriding picture I got from this interview is that KP keeps falling back on ...but what about Bush.

….this is a pretty amateur move for someone as sharp as KP.

……KP also continually states that the black panthers are just “standing there”, thus this is not a very big deal.

According to the testimony of several witnesses….racial threats were hurled at voters many times along the lines of “cracker” and “get ready to be ruled by the blackman”.

….this whole episode is a really stupid unforced era made by Holder’s DOJ and the Obama administration.

…..KP and other democrats would have done themselves more of a service by calling the Obama DOJ out on this than continually defending the indefensible.

KP’s defensiveness and “Blame Bush” lines looked desperate and go 100% against the “Hope and Change” mantra Obama sold on America all the way to the White House.

…20 years in Rev. Wrights “the US deserved 9/11…..

…..Campaign started in Marxist/domestic terrorist Bill Ayers living room(and working together as members of an”education board”)…..

……an admitted communist(and pedophile) poet claimed by Obama to be his mentor….

……Obama appointees praising Mao from the bully pulpit……

……truther/admitted communist Van Jones made a czar by Obama……

…….we have the Obama administration giving members of a racist organization who go out in the streets yelling about killing “crackers” and “White babies” a total pass after they were already found guilty(yes democrats,not being able to stand in front of a polling station for two years was getting a pass)…..

……and we get the same things from democrats….

………”quit politicizing the situation..move on, nothing to see here”…

……………and…….

………”this is just those right wing racist Republicans at it again.

………….The American public is not so stupid as to look at this and conclude “nothing to see here…just move along”.

…Great work democrats….the Obama administration’s defense of the “kill cracker babies” crowd will go further into the news cycle no matter how much the Couric/Olberman crowd continue to defend or ignore it.

Baxter Greene on July 13, 2010 at 11:14 PM

WOW . . . I’m just getting here, and the comments are up to five pages. Did I miss anything?

listens2glenn on July 13, 2010 at 11:16 PM

onlineanalyst on July 13, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Great link..thanks.

Baxter Greene on July 13, 2010 at 11:20 PM

You don’t get to decide what she believes.

Hello, Godwin. A bit clunky, though. Keep working on it and I’m sure you’ll be a master soon enough.

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for the tip. I’m pretty new here so having someone of your caliber teaching me the ropes is…so helpful.

Bee on July 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Why does ‘BOOM HEADSHOT’ keep playing over and over in my head while watch MK destroy KP?

scrubbiedude on July 13, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Bee and Madison Conservative: sewage seeking it’s level.

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Because I told you KP was prolife?

Sure, sewage analogies are completely reasonable.

Bee on July 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Anybody here willing to admit that they are generally afraid of black-men? What about these NBPP guys? Do they really scare you?

The Race Card on July 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

You don’t scare me. Neither do they.

———-
AP was sarcastic with his “Respect KP” and so many fell for it. He’s the ultimate comment-generating machine.

Schadenfreude on July 13, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Next time we go up maybe we can try to meet somewhere for that beer.

Bradky on July 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Deal.

Jaibones on July 13, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Pretty sure Ms. Powers at first said that the polling incident was no big deal and then later back-tracked and said that it was and that the DOJ had adequately punished the black Klansmen…good job Ms. Kelly.

Ms. Powers and the other Libtards will/are the ruination of this country. They are the main reason that huge swaths of this nation from ghettos, to housing projects to trailer parks live in squalor. They put into place Great Society BS that does nothing but rob companies and taxpayers, make Congressmen and other assorted politicians and bureaucrats wealthy and remove so much of the real wealth created out there that would lead to more jobs and opportunities for citizens.

Also, they’re too busy feeling sorry for people that have no intention whatsoever of working and give them the means to avoid being productive.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 13, 2010 at 11:35 PM

What about these NBPP guys? Do they really scare you?

The Race Card on July 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

No. I heard a clip of one of the Shabazz guys (hard to keep track of) saying he “loves to fight him some crackers”. I’ll bet the only time the guy’s been near a cracker is when a reporter shoves a microphone in his face.

ddrintn on July 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

The Race Card on July 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Yes. Some of them.

baldilocks on July 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Bee on July 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Nice fail in answering my post. And calibre here is relative. There are many here who are quite brilliant. I don’t include myself among them, but you don’t even make the D grade. At any rate, you have revealed yourself to be one of those characters who can’t be taught, so I’ll just learn ya.

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM

And Bee, or should I say, Troll, as for you comparing pro-life to sewage, well, trolling is as trolling does.

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Both beautifully brainy women, but Powers made a mistake degrading the story Kelly owns and while these individual Pather’s are lower than low, they’re not a threat to anyone but Afrosheen’s inventory.

chicagoray on July 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Powers truly exhibited an astounding unawareness of Morphy’s Laws.

Tav on July 13, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Who is this Morphy of whom you speak, and what are his Laws?

Jaibones on July 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I’ll take a shot at that. I would guess Morphy’s Law says all Progressive politicians who wish to successfully run for office should only reveal their true opinions after being elected.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Kirsten Powers just played every card in the donk deck…

christene on July 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Yea! Too bad it wasn’t strip poker.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 14, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 13, 2010 at 11:35 PM

…..to add to your observation..

When KP was confronted with the testimony of Adams (along with other DOJ officials to corroborate) concerning not pursuing voter cases against minorities and not addressing voter fraud involving using dead people/felons……

….her reply was “I don’t believe him because he is just a conservative activists.”

…how does this refute his testimony and others that would corroborate it if the DOJ would let them testify????

This is the type of reply you would get from a huffington post commenter… not a credible pundit who can refute with facts.

KP seems to have reverted back to her 04′ campaign “channeling Olberman” style of debating.

….democrats are looking and acting desperate.

Baxter Greene on July 14, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Ever since Obama was elected, KP has gone way left. She used to make sense most of the time, but now here she is justifying voter intimidation.

Tsk, tsk, tsk….shame on you KP!

If this were two airhead blonds arguing over fingernail polish, I might find this arousing. But as it is such a serious issue with consequences that could last years, and these are two intelligent people (albeit KP has her head so far up her @ss on this she needs a porthole in her bellybutton just so she can see where shes going), I find it a very significant event that puts a very fine distinction on the differences between constitutionalists and Progressives.

God help us! We need to get this people out of Washington permanently!

csdeven on July 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Sooooooooo…. Kirsten, one guy in a white sheet and pointy hood at a polling place would be “just no big deal”. There would be no ‘hysteria’ from the Dems if that happened… Holy crap. Yep Kirsten, I believe ya…

Joy on July 14, 2010 at 12:27 AM

I say let ‘em fight it out in the octagon. 2 pundits enter the ring, only one will leave…

Mojave Mark on July 14, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I took the time to email Kelly after the way she treated Powers. Told her that she acted like Chris Matthews acting like a jerk. Powers is one of the few Democrats who’ll be on the up and up. Lost a lot of respect for Kelly.

ChiTownPizza on July 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM

ChiTownPizza on July 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I took the time to email Kelly and told her to ignore those who criticized her for treating KP exactly the way she deserved to be treated.

Kelly just demonstrated why she has her own show and KP is a has been.

csdeven on July 14, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Bee on July 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Yo there, tiger, how’s about discussing the substance of the issues instead of wasting space and oxygen flaming one of last week’s great guest bloggers, eh?

(Waves “Hi” to Bee.)

Or maybe I’m being unkind, and you were just on vacation last week and didn’t notice?

KendraWilder on July 14, 2010 at 12:51 AM

I am usually one of KP’s biggest fans. She is normally very honest, and straightforward. I even applauded her smackdown of Coulter that time on H&C because Coulter was simply full of sh*t, and trying to spin. Today Kirsten very deservedly got her azz handed to her by Megyn. She would be screeching from the rooftops if blacks were being intimidated by threats of violence from the KKK. I don’t know why she is so hung up on the racial issue.

Southernblogger on July 14, 2010 at 12:53 AM

(Waves “Hi” to Bee.)

KendraWilder on July 14, 2010 at 12:51 AM

The issues are as follows, Kendra: the person who in your opinion is a “great guest blogger”, is, in my opinion, and backed up by his own previous post here today, a vulgar potty-mouthed name caller. Your troll friend Bee is a pro-abortion, anti-Christian bigot who has the simple-minded temerity to call Christianity a superstition. Her thinly veiled attempt to make it personal, by merely calling me superstitous doesn’t even pass the smell test. If she thinks she can attack Christianity, unborn babies (she equated pro-life with sewage) and peddle her lame, sarcastic schtick in an effort to make her own shrunken, junior-high brat persona relevant, she’d best think again, because she hasn’t seen anything, yet.

Those who know me on this site know that I will give a wide berth on most things. Attacks on Christianity and the unborn are not among them.

tigerlily on July 14, 2010 at 1:56 AM

OT- While HotAir discusses Megyn and Kirsten wrestling in Jell-O:

Now that HotAir has joined the news blackout on reporting on the continuing oil disaster in the Gulf, including the installation of a new cap, the new moratorium, and the spread of the oil westward toward Texas, I was glad to find MSNBC is now the reporting leader.

cane_loader on July 14, 2010 at 2:06 AM

Yes. Some of them.

baldilocks on July 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Thank you ma’am. I do agree with KP that the DOJ was too politicized under Bush, and that is unfortunately not one of the things that has ChangedTM. It’s a desperately weak defense. I thought it funny she went from a demeanor of “no big deal” to being really, really offended that people are making a big deal about it. Honey, either you care or you don’t.

alwaysfiredup on July 14, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Wow this thread went nuts at some point since I posted earlier.

I haven’t read through everything so I’m not sure I’m seeing these attacks in full context but let me just say that KP is indeed pro-life. Has been since I’ve known of her and that’s been since almost the beginning of HotAir when she and Michelle were pretty friendly with one another. KP even sat in on a Vent or two that were made to be a sort of intelligent and rational version of The View.

There was even a time when people were hoping KP and MM would get a show at Fox together sort of like a female version of H&C. The ratings probably would have been through the roof with those two on screen. Ah well, hindsight and all that.

As I stated back on page 1 or 2 of this thing, KP lost my respect back during the first amnesty fight when she decided to start playing the racist card against anyone who wasn’t pro-amnesty. That’s why I didn’t find it all that surprising that she did the same thing with MK during this cat fight.

As dumb as that was of her to do that doesn’t change her pro-life stance which she’s written about in her op-eds from time to time. Until she says otherwise I’m assuming that hasn’t changed.

I now return you to your wrongheaded bickering.

Benaiah on July 14, 2010 at 2:37 AM

ChiTownPizza on July 14, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Things Have Changed(tm).

KP completely blew it, from not doing her homework to false accusations of racism and beyond. It was a pathetic showing, and KP needs to (and probably won’t) apologize for that accusation, if nothing else.

Benaiah on July 14, 2010 at 2:37 AM

I remember KP on HotAir as well, I repeat, Times have Changed(tm).

Sadly. Those were good times.

Merovign on July 14, 2010 at 2:48 AM

Kudos to Megyn. She is certainly passionate about this case and was not going to play the talking points game with KP.

I’m really surprised at the lame performance of Powers. It’s been a while since I’ve seen her debate but she always struck me as being a fair minded liberal that could argue factually. Wow. Big change. Her talking points were lame. Big step down. I’m glad MK took her to school.

austinnelly on July 14, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Wow – KP will need a new bunghole after that episode!

And what’s this about KP being beautiful? To me, today, she looks like a bag-lady who only comes out at night and never sees the sun.

Ogabe on July 14, 2010 at 3:11 AM

I AM SO GLAD SHE KICKED POWERS’ STUPID ASS.

Kirstin Powers is nothing but a die-hard supporter of a political party that came into being with the sole purpose of slavery and death to blacks. A political party that has fought tooth and nail to prevent non-whites from being able to live under the protections of the Constitution that the Founding Fathers fought, died for and guaranteed. The planks of their party included preventing blacks from voting. They buddy up with race hucksters like the ignorant asses of the NAALCP (National Association for the Association of Liberal Colored People, as Rush Limbaugh calls them), who do everything in their power to insure ‘people of color’ are kept down and stupid; made into mindless, docile wards of the state.

SLAVES.

She is an adherent to a political party that continues to denigrate blacks by telling them that they have to vote and act a certain way, or else. She supports a political party that supports the twisting of the affirmative action laws. Powers is a lover of politicians that see a member of the Ku Klux Klan as their “conscience of the Senate”. Powers supports a political party that is all in favor, now, of making EVERYONE slaves. Depriving everyone of their Constitutional rights, except for the liberal intelligentsia, while everybody else is standing there with their cup in their hand, begging the state for food. Now, she has the audacity to defend these poor, downtrodden blacks, just looking to get by and minding their own business, standing outside a public voting station, brandishing weaponry and verbally assaulting whites that have the audacity to try to exercise their right to vote. To her, they’re not ‘scary black people’; they’re stupid black children, needing the guidance of the democrats, i.e.: white adults.

There is nothing beautiful about her. She is the epitome of unattractive, mentally, spiritually and physically. She is repulsive. She tacitly supports racist terrorists. She is uninformed, and attempts to lie her way through a debate, toeing her party line, even sinking as low as to try to hijack the subject matter, and go back to the old, stupid “blame Bush” shtick. Like all liberal intellectual phonies, she tries making everybody else look like they’re in the wrong, when it is, in fact, her that is a tool of institutional corruption. When cornered by her own ignorance and lies, the only thing she can do is finger-point and blame-shift, hoping desperately she can sling enough mud and horse-sh*t that she can bury her ideological opponent under a stinking mound of obfuscational BS, due to the fact that she cannot defend her positions, without telling more bald-faced lies. She is the apotheosis of everything that’s wrong with the LEC (Liberal Entertainment Complex), which exists to do nothing but lie and unethically curry more unjust, undue power and influence.

Powers is nothing but a disingenuous bottom-feeder. A creepy punk, slimy with all the snake-oil that she sells to the stupid, and ends up dumping all over herself, in order to slime her way out of trouble, such as the trouble the lies that flooded out of her mouth got her into, in this interview. Everywhere Powers goes, you can see the slimy tracks she leaves.

Virus-X on July 14, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Anyone think KP was auditioning for MSNBC? LOL

And what was that “washed out” look she had going on?

Ricohoc on July 14, 2010 at 3:48 AM

There are many here who are quite brilliant. I don’t include myself among them

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I cannot agree with those who rank modesty among the virtues. To the logician all things must be seen exactly as they are. To underestimate one’s self is as much a departure from truth as to exaggerate one’s powers.

semloh on July 14, 2010 at 4:31 AM

tigerlily on July 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Exactly what was I supposed to answer there? You simply used more words to say the same thing. Again, you haven’t been given the authority to decide what KP believes. I knew she was pro life and shot a well-informed friend of hers an email to verify before filling you in. This does not mean that I agree with her politics nor think she, as a pro-life/Christian democrat, is at all intellectually consistent in the voting booth. You were making wild claims about MC (my friend) and silly, irrelevant comments about souls, abortion, nazis, etc., and I was annoyed. Hence the sarcasm. Had I felt you had a compelling argument perhaps I would have engaged more.

Yes, my typos/spelling errors are egregious, particularly when sleepy and preoccupied. My two year old has been having something akin to night terrors, so, I was a bit distracted. Thanks for pointing that out, though. I certainly need to work on it!

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 6:21 AM

MK won this on the merits, but if you are in the bar late at night and drunk and you could choose one of these women to go home with, for some real loving, I’m telling you KP is the one to take home. And after all, what is more important than that

georgealbert on July 14, 2010 at 6:42 AM

tigerlily on July 14, 2010 at 1:56 AM

I’m quite sure I’ve reviewed all of the exchanges I could find, and other than sarcastic banter I haven’t found anything of the nature you’re claiming was posted.

The most I found was you, tiger, having a knee-jerk reaction. So, in light of your propensity to flame and read things into what’s being posted, I’m going to bow out of this as gracefully as I can. I simply don’t engage in flame wars, thanks.

KendraWilder on July 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM

I have not read anything definative but understand KP is pro-life.

I scratch my head though and ask myself, what has any “pro-life” Democrat done to champion life for the unborn. I can say I’m anything. But until I actually do something within my party to change my party, they’re just words.

Bee, how about you share your e-mail from the friend with us to shed some light on the discussion?

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 7:04 AM

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Ask AP.

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM

What makes a pundit a pundit? Is there a pundit school?

Is there some reason I should care what Kirsten Powers thinks about anything at all? I don’t.

When did weather pundit Domenica Davis move over to MSNBC and why?

joedoe on July 14, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Ask AP.

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Ask AP what?

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Hey, they showed a piece of this clip on Morning Joe. So MK succeeded – she got them to actually mention the NBPP case on MSNBC. Now maybe our Congressman will have heard of the case.

humdinger on July 14, 2010 at 7:43 AM

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 7:34 AM

I meant no disrespect, simply that you can ask him yourself just as easily. :)

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I didn’t take anything in your comment as disrespectful. But if I’m following you correctly, you’re telling me that AP is the friend that sent you an e-mail that asserts that KP is a pro-choice Democrat? Could you just share that with us?

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 7:56 AM

OK, this is a belated response, but, had to get the kids fed and set up for the day. :)

First, thanks Kendra!

Secondly, THIS:

tigerlily on July 14, 2010 at 1:56 AM

If wild-eyed delusion and vile slander passes as debate in your world, then I can see why you’re so confident. I’ve questioned whether to answer you or simply allow you to believe what you will about my character. Since your accusations are deeply offensive, I’ll answer them.

My life, activism, comments on HA (search for Diane and Bee) and writing testifies to my Christian faith and commitment to the unborn. Your off-topic snark about KP’s soulless eyes demanded correction. If by Christianity you mean citing the maxim, “eyes are the window to the soul” then your exegesis is woefully poor and rightly attributed to superstition. I assume you mean Matthew 6:22? Context and comprehensive biblical understanding is important. Attributing this one line to a political party/one issue with no attention to the entire text is myopic, at best. Since there is is much debate over what constitutes the proverbial “bad eye/good eye” irrespective of politics, I didn’t interpret your comment as a principled Christian defense, rather an utterly irrelevant, lazy and untrue generalization.

Incidentally, MC is indeed an unapologetic potty-mouth…but he is also a fierce defender of liberty and a good friend with admirable character.

Oh, and:

superstitous=superstitious
schtick=shtick

Just returning the favor. :)

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 8:02 AM

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 7:56 AM

No. I emailed to verify that she was pro life.

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 8:04 AM

I just realized I did not, in fact, misspell “caliber.” Apologies for assuming you were correcting me, TL.

Original *facepalm* compounded.

I’ll stop now. :)

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Sorry Bee, I’m just not following you then with that. Disregard.

If I may though and I do beg your pardon Bee, but I’m having a time understanding your logic on this thread. I wish I had more time, (off to PT) but your counter comments to TL exhibits a fair amount of the exact tenor you’re decrying in her comments. Just my opinion.

To me, this site loses a lot of steam because even though we’re all pretty much like minded people, some of us go for the throat over nuances in our beliefs or even just the manner in which we express ourselves. For exmaple, I can read TLs comments and think that she might have been a little over the top in her expression, but still agree with her premise and just go on to another comment without feeling the need to reply. MadCon is the same way. I consider him a commenter to respect and a thread friend. But I certainly don’t agree with his every point. I just try to pass over that as MadCon and reserve comment. Again, for example, some Christians might have taken offense to the crack about splashing Holy Water or Heathen Beam full power. I just pass over the comments for what they are.

If you wanted to prove that Powers was indeed pro-life, you could have been less cryptic. It might have ended an ugly exchange before it picked up momentum.

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 8:29 AM

humdinger on July 14, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Olbermann did a small segment on it the other night. He pretty much insinuated that it was all a farce created by Fox, claiming some person was not even appointed until after the fact. Couldn’t hang in long enough to get a full understanding of what the bonehead was getting at. My flat screen was at great risk and I had to quickly change channels.

joedoe on July 14, 2010 at 8:41 AM

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Those comments between MC and I were pure, recycled banter.

I jumped in because she made an off-topic (untrue) comment about KP’s pro life position. Period. Perhaps I should have left it alone, but, it irked me. I don’t think this is unlike what everyone on HA does from time to time. Was I sarcastic? Sure. But I bear no responsibility for her penchant for false characterizations. I felt it was important to clarify for other commenters what my beliefs were because they matter to me, not because I felt she deserved further dignity. She went above and beyond sarcasm (let alone the topic itself), Hawk. Review the thread and tell me I’m wrong.

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Review the thread and tell me I’m wrong.

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I did before I made my comment.

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Joy on July 14, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Good Lord, can you just imagine the orgy of horror?!

Jaibones on July 14, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I was glad to find MSNBC is now the reporting leader.

cane_loader on July 14, 2010 at 2:06 AM

General rule in commenting: When you’re drunk, the comments don’t come out as good. When you’re a liberal idiot, the comments always sound the same as if you were drunk.

Jaibones on July 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 8:29 AM

I’m sure we don’t agree on every point, but you and I respect each other enough that if we disagree, we know that it’s not a big deal. Same goes with Bee and me. However, many, many others here are only interested in clones. If you don’t belong to their religion, or you disagree with them on a pet social issue, they consider you an enemy to be destroyed. You’ve been here long enough to see that same dance done over, and over, and over. Tigerlily is just one of those clone seekers, and worse, the type that denies whatever facts are placed before her and insists that her ignorant worldview overrides all. That is mind-boggling.

Additionally, her repulsive and sickening slander of Bee places her beneath even Al Franken in my estimation. Bee/Diane has spent quite a while commenting here and writing articles on places like NewsRealBlog defending her pro-life positions, and for tigerlily to stick her fingers in her already closed-off ears, and scream that she knows better than other people what positions they hold, is utterly galling. Whoever this tigerlily is, they live with horribly insecure beliefs, and they apparently hold no more respect for people with different opinions than they do for themself.

I’ve been less and less on HA lately because I’m just sick and tired of these kinds of mindless dolts. I’d much rather argue with a liberal who disagrees with me 90% of the time and is comfortable with it, than some conservative who seeks to drum me out of the movement because of disagreement on one relatively meaningless issue in the scope of everything we’re dealing with right now.

MadisonConservative on July 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I meant in light of my defense.

You seem to be equating my sarcasm with wanton character assassination. I’m…surprised.

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Straight from the Jerry springer show.

Let them fight and pull hair.

seven on July 14, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Just wanted to send congrats on Greenroom promotion. :)

Dire Straits on July 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Wow, I just watched that. Hilarious!

I already knew that KP was dumb, but I now have to call her a dumba$$ after that performance.

Other thoughts: anyone who believes MK behaved poorly there is wimpy. In fact she was too generous with the rude and incredibly annoying KP. Say what you will about O’Reilly, but in that kind of exchange he wouldn’t have restrained himself like MK did; I wish she hadn’t.

In agreement with tigerlily, I say that KP does have hollow, empty eyes – I’ve noticed that there’s something missing within her, kinda like how you can see that Andy Levy on Red Eye is an obviously unhappy camper by his demeanor and that perma-frown of his.

I trust KP’s position as a pro-lifer as much as I do Bart Stupak’s. And even if she actually is more principled about abortion than BS, it doesn’t really do her good when she enables Pelosi and Co. the way she does, does it?

Bizarro No. 1 on July 14, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Just wanted to send congrats on Greenroom promotion. :)

Dire Straits on July 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Thank you! :)

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM

There’s an interesting dynamic at play here. I suspect KP frequently gets a pass for her looks and her understated demeanor. MK is more stunning, appearance-wise, but it’s clear that she’s learned to skirt around her looks with factual, well-presented argument. It seems KP isn’t as well-versed.

MK served KP and served her good–she wasn’t going to allow KP get away with the, “Oh, look at me–the pretty, caring, soft-spoken, compassionate liberal.” MK forced KP to work around her appearance and demeanor to argue the cold, hard facts of the issue.

KP is probably seething right now, but she’ll be a stronger pundit after the MK treatment.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 14, 2010 at 10:29 AM

RESPECT KP.

Allahpundit

The Real ExTex

ExTex on July 14, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I bet the pink nail polish was dark THAT day. wow. Maybe less pink and light fluffy colors and I’d take them a little more serious.

johnnyU on July 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Even too much sugar tastes harsh after a while.

johnnyU on July 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I’m trying to figure out what happened to Kirsten.
She had been a source for reason and honesty a few years ago.
Remember three women on a couch? With our very own MM?
I think the obama admin has twisted and frustrated even the more honest of the Dems making (ordering?) them distort and deceive while they’re trying to stay with the liberal talking points of the week, or the day.
Does KP’s job depend on her statements?
Does she have to follow the axlerod/begala/obama talking points exactly now?
WHAT HAPPENED TO KP? I asked this about 5 months ago when she started in with the deception strategy with alacrity.
Both KP & Juan Wms have completely gone off the deep end.
Do they realize their liberal dreams have been smashed by an Alinskyite socialist?
Or are they that far left and their dreams are coming to an end?
Whats so bothersome is that they once could be trusted for an honest appraisal of the days events, even if you didn’t agree, you believed in their integrity.

The obama admin has destroyed much more of America than we can begin to know at this point, from stirring up deep divisions amongst the people to making seemingly sound minds go absolutely berserk.
People you thought you could trust are now irresponsible, immoral and irrelevant.
Its sad.
OR…maybe it was me that was fooled for the first few years.
Maybe this is the real Kirstin Powers.
(AP, still hearing wedding bells? it must hurt)

shooter on July 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM

KP’s too important for both the Dems and Fox, she’ll be back on Fox w/in 2 days.
Who else you gonna put there? Beckel? The Menendez brat?

shooter on July 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM

KP…ugh. She sounds like an airhead, slack jawed, blank expression. She was more interested in the party mantra “Blame Bush” and had no intentions of participating in that interview.

mtb on July 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

KP is a light-weight with the old, tired, and lame excuse “others did it”.

Wade on July 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Bee on July 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Bee, I’m sorry but I’m not sure what you’re referencing. I said your comments had the same tenor. I didn’t equate them to anything. I also said TLs comments can be over the top. I just said I try to look past them because we share a similar philosophy. My comments have been over the top on occasion. Folks that politely remind me when that happens.

Really, MadCons sentiments above

MadisonConservative on July 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM

are actually very close to my feelings. We do see eye to eye on quite a bit. Not the least of which is that the environment has made it hard coming to Hot Air lately. Just for me, (and I make no claim whatsoever that it matters to anyone but me) but for me, the comments here lately are just toxic. I don’t say that this thread was anything like that, but I just wonder what makes “like minded” people square off with one another so bitterly. It just sounds like everyone thinks that they’re exchanging with a troll. I say save it for the real trolls.
Maybe I’m just looking at the bigger picture, but again I just pass over most comments that are generally in line with what I believe. If they reach some metric where they’re over the top, maybe it does warrant a regular to say something. I’m not sure TLs comment about Powers eyes warranted that. You did. You informed her that Powers was actually pro-life. It degenerated from there. When the debate dissolves to who was doing it worse or who said what first, then it really just doesn’t much matter at that point. Look, I’m not wanting to upset anyone with something I say. (especially a neighbor) But I just scratch my head and wonder at the way we discuss things with our fellow Conservatives. That’s all.

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Good lord. Kirsten, don’t go on there again. If it ever gets like that, just get up and leave. I like FOX but things like this and Hannity I have to turn off because it is nerve racking. When Hannity does his ‘repeat phrase’ a and a statement 3 or more times, I turn him off. This was along those lines. Megan’s host attitude was uncalled for in this. sorry.

johnnyU on July 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM

The point that gets lost in the weeds, and KP keeps harping that ‘they got an injunction’, is that the injunction was downgraded from not carrying a ‘deadly weapon’ at a polling booth indefinitely until only 2012. Is this how Obama will win in 2012 KP? when these forces are unleashed on polling places across the country? Is it only an ‘isolated incident’ (which seems OK in your mind). Reminds me of the flying Imams testing the security measures for future abuses/acts of terrorism.

jerseyman on July 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Standard Liberal response to getting caught:
1. Denial it didn’t happen
Faced with the evidence
2. Everybody else does it

jerseyman on July 14, 2010 at 5:10 PM

KP continued to bring up the fact that the goon got an injunction…so, that’s supposed to mean, I guess, that justice was served. However, the injunction only says he can’t show up at THAT particular poling place with a weapon until the 2012 elections! 2012 presidential elections he can be there with his “stick”.. Man, this administration is so arrogant and lower than whale crap I’ve ever seen. Please say it aint so.

Dakotobol on July 14, 2010 at 6:03 PM

but for me, the comments here lately are just toxic.

hawkdriver

I agree. It seems that since HA was bought out that either there is more of this type of stuff or maybe Ed and AP simply can’t handle moderating the higher volume of posts.

Dunno but it’s not nearly as inviting an environment around here over the last few months and I hope that’s addressed at some point.

Benaiah on July 14, 2010 at 6:03 PM

but for me, the comments here lately are just toxic.

hawkdriver

Benaiah on July 14, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Not trying to sound like an Old Man, but HA’s been toxic for 2-3 years now. That’s why I rarely post anymore, and I used to post quite frequently.

The level of anger and pettiness on this site might be like other political sights, but I find it distasteful. As Conservatives, I thought we were all better than that.

asc85 on July 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM

ca..ca..catfight

uber-con on July 14, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Benaiah on July 14, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I hope so too. Hot Air has been a rallying point for some great Conservative, Libertarian, Republican efforts.

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM

KP came on with one argument and had not even bothered to gather the facts. She deserved to be crucified by Megan and was … and pretty tremendously. Personally, I love it. KP is not a great thinker – not even among liberal circles.

She’d have done better to drop the spin and just agreed that what Obama’s justice department did was horribly wrong.

It’s always easier to defend the truth. Too bad for KP that she forgot this.

Good for Kelly!

HondaV65 on July 14, 2010 at 10:41 PM

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 8:29 AM

MadisonConservative on July 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Maybe I’m just looking at the bigger picture, but again I just pass over most comments that are generally in line with what I believe. If they reach some metric where they’re over the top, maybe it does warrant a regular to say something. When the debate dissolves to who was doing it worse or who said what first, then it really just doesn’t much matter at that point. Look, I’m not wanting to upset anyone with something I say. (especially a neighbor) But I just scratch my head and wonder at the way we discuss things with our fellow Conservatives. That’s all.

hawkdriver on July 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Benaiah on July 14, 2010 at 6:03 PM

asc85 on July 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Unfortunately, it’s true many Conservatives act like impolite Lefties when discussing their opinions. I’ll say to all of you to what I’ve said to people on other Conservative sites who feel as you (we) do about that: don’t pay serious attention to the people who can’t disagree w/o being disagreeable; pay attention to those who are truly interested in what you say whether or not they agree with you. That way, you can still enjoy being here. If people like you (we) give up, the slide only gets worse – you don’t want the wolves to completely take over, do you?!

hawkdriver said, “If they reach some metric where they’re over the top, maybe it does warrant a regular to say something.” To that I say, there’s no “maybe” about it – it does warrant a regular (or non-regular even) to say something about it. Don’t be timid!

I know this sounds trite, but change doesn’t happen w/o action. It’s always worth it to speak out if someone’s incivility is bothering you: 1) it will make you feel better expressing your thoughts about it 2) sometimes the person being incivil doesn’t realize their unacceptable behavior, and won’t until it is pointed out to them by someone else.

There are more people like you (we) here than you realize; most of them are silent, so we don’t see them. I’ve been attacked on other sites for pointing out others’ rudeness w/no visible support from anyone, only to have some email/PM me telling me they agreed with me. Once again I say, speak up! It can only help! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 15, 2010 at 2:02 AM

I finally watched this. Just about 9 minutes in KP is owned.

rollthedice on July 15, 2010 at 8:29 AM

and Hillary for President? ROFLMAO! After seeing this? yeah… mm hmmm

johnnyU on July 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM

lol @ ChicagoRay.

Scary Black Man. uh…one between the street and door carrying a dumdum. nah..not intimidating. nah.

johnnyU on July 15, 2010 at 10:15 AM