Video: 2008 primary election irregularities alleged in new documentary

posted at 11:36 am on July 12, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Put me down as skeptical on this one. Fox News interviews Gigi Gaston, a Democrat who produced a new documentary, We Will Not Be Silent 2008 that alleges irregularities in the 2008 Democratic primaries committed by the Barack Obama campaign. Gaston accuses Obama and his team of stealing the election from Hillary Clinton through voter fraud, intimidation, and dirty tricks (via The Right Scoop):

The allegations appear to be entirely confined to caucus states, which is one of the reasons I’m skeptical. Caucuses are bare-knuckled brawls where the parties make the rules and the campaigns routinely and viciously fight over them. I have no trouble believing that Team Obama played hardball and cut as many corners as they could without getting caught. What I have trouble believing is that Hillary Clinton wasn’t doing the exact same thing in these states. After all, Hillary was hardly a babe in the woods. The Clinton Machine had been fighting these battles since Obama was in high school. Now we’re suddenly to believe that they were manning the Good Ship Lollipop in 2008 and were shocked, shocked to find that caucuses aren’t played by Marquess de Queensbury rules?

This is one of the reasons that I believe primaries are usually a better way to select nominees, especially for higher offices. They’re not impervious to fraud and abuse, but it’s a more level ground, and the stakes for committing malfeasance are at least somewhat higher than in caucuses.

Update: I’ve gotten a couple of testy e-mails from the producers, but after watching the clips from the still-incomplete documentary, I’m still not convinced that this somehow rises above the usual elbows and sucker punches one sees at caucuses. But more to the point, if this is all somehow true and Obama “stole” the nomination from Hillary, then why did Hillary (a) endorse Obama, (b) campaign for him, and (c) leave the Senate to take the SecState job? Are we to believe that the biggest victim of the theft is somehow playing along with it? After all, she could have easily stayed in the Senate, win re-election this year (Republicans may not even be able to beat her replacement, and geared up for a 2012 primary challenge to Obama. The fact that she didn’t should tell people that the collection of irregularities doesn’t amount to a stolen election.

This is still a very useful documentary, and well worth watching, for another reason: to show why states should dump the caucus system and stick with primaries. When you see complainants attempting to explain the arcane rules, forms, and customs of caucuses in order to explain how they believe the Obama team manipulated and defrauded the system, the viewer is left wondering why any rational community would put up with a system like caucusing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Prediction: Obama still gets more than 50% of the women’s vote in 2012.

ddrintn on July 12, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I will take that bet. Mama Grizzly’s going to move the dial.

more silly GOPers sat on their hands than I previously thought.

clnurnberg on July 12, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Yes, they did.

I voted for Hillary and would have for Palin had she been at the top of the ticket. (S’okay, I live in a red state.) It’s weird trying to hang with Republicans when you’ve fought them your entire adult life. The best I can do is Independent right now. But as long as conservatives don’t mind my feminism, they and I seem to get along swimmingly these days, much better than I would have thought. We really do get way too caught up in labels.

alwaysfiredup on July 12, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Nice to meet all of you too, but I still do not personally know any Hillary supporters who did not go-bama. I remember some on various websites predicting a groundswell of people who would now be voting McCain, but this didn’t happen among people I know/work with/live near.
If there was a big puma showing, more silly GOPers sat on their hands than I previously thought. And for them I say, stop saying “it takes a Carter to get a Reagan”, say “It takes an Obama to get a disaster”!

clnurnberg on July 12, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Well, I know plenty of Democrats, many who are extended family, who supported Hillary and then switched and actively campaigned and voted for McCain (or to be more precise, voted PALIN with McCain as an afterthought) in the GE. But I know more putative R’s who elected to stay home to “teach” the RNC a lesson.

YTZGal on July 12, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Enough about PUMAs and Panthers. Let’s talk about Cougars, Alysyn.

Jaibones on July 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Well, I can share my one anecdote which is that I was told of one HRC delegate who was “pressured” (and I use that word euphemistically) to change her vote to Obama. It was pretty relentless harassment as it was told to me. I can’t recollect now what state this was in, tho. Could have been Iowa but for some reason, I keep thinking it was Texas.

I don’t know how sneaky and underhanded Hillary’s candidate was or could have been, but I do know it was nothing like Obama’s. They are in a whole different class of thuggery and deceit. So I can’t really say this report surprises me or that I don’t believe it.

I’ll also add that these HRC supporters voted Republican for the first time in their lives (and they aren’t young’uns). So rest assured, these tactics have alienated some people permanently.

NoLeftTurn on July 13, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Hill supporters are like internet gypsies. They moved off of sites like DailyKos and went to ones like MyDD before the Obamatrons went and shouted them off there. Then they went to TalkLeft where eventually Palin Derangement fractured them. It’s why I ended up over here at HotAir and finally crossed into being a Republican.

lansing quaker on July 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I was driven off of HuffPo, MYDD, ended up on Taylor Marsh, and left there when she became pro-obama. You nailed it with internet gypsies! I was called racist from practically the very first minute I logged on, all excited about the upcoming election, and announced I was a Hillary supporter. The Obama supporters created the PUMAS through their nastiness and ugliness and endless race baiting. They are responsible for driving them from the Dem party. NOT Obama’s skin color, but their ugly hatred.

sarainitaly on July 13, 2010 at 5:29 AM

Dr. Evil said something about women and long memories – you betcha! I do not and will not forget.

Another thing that happened during the election – Obama supporters picked up mentally challenged voters, drove them to the polls, and then forced them to vote Obama.

sarainitaly on July 13, 2010 at 5:35 AM

You are quite wrong. The documentary is telling the truth. The tricks played were beyond anything anyone had ever seen in primary caucus states. Police had to be called out on more than one occasion, doors were locked, forms were stolen.

The Obama team was prepped and taught how to steal caucus votes.

AnninCA on July 13, 2010 at 8:03 AM

sarainitaly on July 13, 2010 at 5:29 AM

Heh! How could I forget Taylor Marsh?!

lansing quaker on July 13, 2010 at 8:14 AM

This is Chicago style politics done on a national scale. Considering the current administration, is this a surprise? Wait until this Nov. and 2012, it will be more of the same because now they know Holder and the DOJ will back their play.

Wills on July 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM

This story coupled with the one that said that al franken won his seat thanks to felons voting has me pretty damn pissed off.

To the question is, when are the damn democrats going to STOP using FRAUD to get their people elected.

I know I am just wishing, but damn people wake up. its not about the “WIN” its about the peoples voice.

ColdWarrior57 on July 13, 2010 at 10:40 AM

ColdWarrior57 on July 13, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Me too. In this day & age with the technology we have, why is it such a problem to require proof of ID & residence?
If you live in a certain district & want to vote there, then your current address should be visible on your ID.
Everyone has some form of ID.
If you don’t, then you must work under the table, be illegal, etc.
I can see why liberals fight voter ID.
They would rarely win if this were widely instituted.

Badger40 on July 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I see ther are some doubters about the PUMAS, followed by intros from various ladies claiming they in fact voted R and worked for McCain/Palin. Having been part of the McCain Campaign let me verify the prodigous effortd on the part of the PUMAS to stop the Obamanable One. One of the commenters speaking up in this thread I recognize form back in the day from anti-Obama/PUMA site No QuaterUSA.net, high sarainitaly good to see you over hear at HotAir!

Archimedes on July 13, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Yikes! Attack of the typos, again!

Archimedes on July 13, 2010 at 11:54 AM

sarainitaly on July 13, 2010 at 5:29 AM

Same here. I have never been cursed at anywhere, like I had been when on Huffington Post. There is not one single, civil Left Wing site. I am a grown woman, with grown children. When I switched parties in 2008, my Parents accused me (rather loudly) of being brain-washed. It didn’t take too much research to find that the Democrat Party is the party of brainwashing and deceit. After the televised Democrat Rules and Bylaws pony show, I watched both conventions. There was no comparison…I loved the dignity, enthusiasm and agenda of the Republican convention. I will never look back!

mtb on July 13, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I think it’s pointless to try to do over old elections, but I hope this gets wide play among the left.

flataffect on July 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM