Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on July 12, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

One of the most exasperating qualities of Barack Obama is his insistence on casting himself as a victim when people disagree with his policies. It’s bad enough when he does it at home, but last week he tried it on the foreign stage — and made a jackass out of himself. When asked to explain why Israelis don’t trust him, he implied it’s because Israelis are bigots:

During the interview Wednesday, when confronted with the anxiety that some Israelis feel toward him, Obama said that “some of it may just be the fact that my middle name is Hussein, and that creates suspicion.”

I guess President Obama must have slept through the briefing when his staff informed him that Israel and Jordan have a peace agreement approved by then-King Hussein of Jordan. Maybe his Secretary of State should have reminded Obama; after all, it was her husband that helped negotiate it.

Instead of dealing with the reality of the snubs Obama has delivered to Netanyahu and the fumbles he has made on issues like construction in Jerusalem — which Obama personally transformed from a minor issue into a showstopper — Obama would rather like people to believe that everyone who has a criticism of him does so on the basis of his background. It’s tiresome and amateurish, and in this case, an insult to the feelings of the Israelis and to the intelligence of everyone else.

Comments

is this the playground and are we all reliving 3rd grade…?

ted c on July 12, 2010 at 8:07 AM

What a dope. The only people more stupid than B Hussein O are the people who voted for him.

Daggett on July 12, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Narcissists don’t belong in a high profile public office.

FireBlogger on July 12, 2010 at 8:14 AM

I stopped making excuses for my stupidity when I realized that people could easily make up a “DuctTapeMyBrain-teurism” and make me look even more stupid as a result.

I came to that realization when I was like 12.

DuctTapeMyBrain on July 12, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Odamna: “MY middle name may be Hussein, but Netanyahu is a poopy-head and I saw him picking his nose.”

Our Nation is under the control of idiots and children.

I hope we survive until 2012.

Crusader Rabbit on July 12, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Lame

rob verdi on July 12, 2010 at 8:16 AM

?? Again ?? So soon ??

ProudPalinFan on July 12, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Narcissistic much?

vcferlita on July 12, 2010 at 8:18 AM

ted c on July 12, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Yup, we’re in Groundhog Day and stuck in the third grade.

petefrt on July 12, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Like any criticism of Obama is because the critic is raaaaacist wasn’t your first clue?

Skandia Recluse on July 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I got news for you Barry… the Israelis don’t like you for some of the same reasons most Americans don’t like you. You’re an anti-Semitic who panders to the Muslim world, a lying, incompetent leader, and a jihadist sympathizer who has no respect for the Constitution or American values and traditions.

Barb Dwyer on July 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM

heh, petefrt, good one. Reminds me of this clip and oh so appropos….

ted c on July 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I gotta wonder if Obama was simply jokingly trying to avoid answering the question…or if he was serious.

Either way, what a baby. Is this the culmination of his Ivy League education on display?

JetBoy on July 12, 2010 at 8:20 AM

I guess Queen Rania needs to come back to the US and visit the WH so he can stutter and uuuhhh errr aaahhh and bow some more.

And of course, thousands of men around the world will wag their collective tongues (she’s drop dead gorgeous, I’ll admit)

ProudPalinFan on July 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Hopey Howling over Hussein !!!

canopfor on July 12, 2010 at 8:22 AM

This is the pretend world in which the entire Obama Administration lives.

SlaveDog on July 12, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Doesn’t anyone in his administration tell him what a laughingstock he is?

Daggett on July 12, 2010 at 8:23 AM

What an embarrassment….he who thinks he is elevating our image to the world…man, I miss W….

cmsinaz on July 12, 2010 at 8:25 AM

New method of handling “suspicion” on the foreign policy front: Thumb sucking and foot stomping.

ted c on July 12, 2010 at 8:26 AM

ted c on July 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I remember that scene. Makes me laugh every time I see it. Love that movie, for some strange twisted reason.

petefrt on July 12, 2010 at 8:30 AM

What a dick.

5u93rm4n on July 12, 2010 at 8:31 AM

At this point, I’d much prefer Paul the Octopus as President. ;)

atlgal on July 12, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Maybe they don’t like you because you’re a booger pickin’, fly attractin’, stinky stale cigarette smokin’ SOB who said something like that if things got tough you’d side with your muslim brothers.

Maybe something like that, not your stupid name.

Jerome Horwitz on July 12, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Maybe people don’t trust you because your other middle name (can be found on the “long form”) is Judas.

teacherman on July 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM

My fear is that he has no one around him who can rein him in before he does something utterly catastrophic because of a perceived international “slight” or “disrespect of the presidency.” I’m not talking about making an embarrassing speech or having a public hissy fit, I’m talking about bombing some country or making some kind of conventional military attack on an ally.
Cornered narcissists are scary and unpredictable. Beware the passive-aggressive component of the disorder, as well.

ExpressoBold on July 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM

The adults are in charge!

/getaclue

ladyingray on July 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM

During the campaign, no one was to speak of Obama’s middle name. Then after the election, Hussein is being dropped like the F bomb is to Rahmbo or Biden.
Obama knows exactly what he is doing, he is playing a little name game in his head but no one else really cares.

Electrongod on July 12, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Crybaby in Chief.

It’s time we get a real man in the White House–for now, Sarah Palin is one of the few to come to mind.

BuckeyeSam on July 12, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Remember, it’s all about him.

khacha on July 12, 2010 at 8:38 AM

I AM YOUR SAVIOR, THE ONE SAVIOR OF THE WORLD, DANGIT!
Why don’t all of you love me like you should?

I am a victim and you are all raaaaacists.

rockbend on July 12, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Hey, at least he didn’t say it’s because he’s black! But seriously, in Obama’s eyes the only people who don’t see his brilliance are those who are blinded by bigotry.

ProfessorMiao on July 12, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Here it comes:

‘CLIMATE CHANGE’ CALL TO GIVE UP AIR CONDITIONING…

End ‘lavish use in everyday life’… — via DRUDGE

They can take my air conditioning after they pry my gun from my cold dead fingers.

petefrt on July 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM

If you think Carter was a bitter, angry ex-president, sniping at his perceived enemies while undermining his successors’ actions, wait ’till this guy leaves office…

jon1979 on July 12, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Maybe it’s because you’re an inexperienced, immature, narcissistic excuse of a world leader wannabe.

Oldnuke on July 12, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Jon1979: you’re not kidding…

cmsinaz on July 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Some people may not like me because I’ve got a funny name, and I don’t look like the other people on the Shekel..

blatantblue on July 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM

…The pathetic and pompous faux superiority reveals itself once again.

….maybe if he told them he could save them 3000% on their Health insurance they would like him better.

Baxter Greene on July 12, 2010 at 8:46 AM

If you think Carter was a bitter, angry ex-president…

jon1979 on July 12, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Nightmare 2.0: After his presidency, Øbama moves to UN where he leads Second and Third World Struggle against USA.

petefrt on July 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Come November, his middle name may as well be MUD.

pilamaye on July 12, 2010 at 8:49 AM

This is the same jackass who like to tell people that his name has Hebrew root.

year_of_the_dingo on July 12, 2010 at 8:51 AM

They have already made a song over this: A Boy Named Hussein and Michelle LaVaughn Obama has the same problem.

No Niks on July 12, 2010 at 8:53 AM

petefrt on July 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Nightmare 2.0 morphs into Fantastic Fantasy Dream 3.1: America gets so fed up that they drop out of the UN which relocates to Mogadishu, Somalia.

Oldnuke on July 12, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Obama: I wanna talk about ME! Wanna talk about I! I’m Number One oh Me oh MY!

JamesLee on July 12, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Obama’s a callow dweeb, that’s becoming more and more obvious. Of course there were those of us who knew that more than 2 years ago, and even then it was hard to imagine anybody considering this guy an “intellectual”. Now, you’d really have to wonder about anybody who could, with a straight face, refer to this bumbling, two-bit thug as anything other than a thin-skinned featherweight.

He’s so far out of his league, it makes me wonder when he’ll start up with his cocaine again.

mr.blacksheep on July 12, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Nightmare 2.0:

petefrt on July 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM

petefrt:Ugh,a UN Community Organizer Agitator!!!:)

canopfor on July 12, 2010 at 9:00 AM

O/T
=========

Swiss will not extradite Roman Polanki,
hes a free man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on July 12, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Oops,forgot the s,in Polanski!

canopfor on July 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Birthers, you missed your chance, let me help you.

“You changed your place of birth, why not your middle name?”

right2bright on July 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Swiss will not extradite Roman Polanki,
hes a free man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on July 12, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Free in Switzerland…

right2bright on July 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM

O/T
=========

Swiss will not extradite Roman Polanki,
hes a free man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on July 12, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Hey, this is the 21st Century. We’re so enlightened now that we recognize his contribution to the culture.

Sodomizing children whom you have drugged for that purpose is a legitimate lifestyle choice, and we should celebrate the diversity that Polanski represents and admire his bravery in standing up to the oppressive strictures of a society that discriminates against, and oppresses, child rapists.

I mean, who are we to say that there’s anything wrong with buggering a 13-year-old girl? That’s so judgmental.

/[liberal mode off]

mr.blacksheep on July 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM

During the interview Wednesday, when confronted with the anxiety that some Israelis feel toward him, Obama said that “some of it may just be the fact that my middle name is HusseinI am a bootlicking bedwetter that was registered as a muslim in my Indonesian grade school , and that creates suspicion.”

Fixed it for ya, champ.

DeweyWins on July 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM

I had serious disagreements with “W”, but he was man enough to take criticism w/o falling into the whiny, fetal-position-ish “I’m a victim” like BHO does every week.

itsnotaboutme on July 12, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Swiss will not extradite Roman Polanki,
hes a free man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on July 12, 2010 at 9:01 AM
=========================================
Free in Switzerland…

right2bright on July 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM

right2bright:Ugh,I hope he’s free,only in Switzerland!:)
=========================================================

Switzerland rejects Polanski extradition

canopfor on July 12, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I long for a person who is a leader without all of the “issues” this man has. Is there one? Why, yes, yes there is and she is out there showing us exactly who she is.

BetseyRoss on July 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM

That’s it for this week.
Obama can’t top this one.
(I wish it were so…)

Haiku Guy on July 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM

This goes hand-n-hand with the black panther’s hatred of white people; it starts with a feeling of being a victim.

It’s been over a week now since the video of the black panther dude calling for the death of white people and their babies. I might be wrong, but I haven’t seen one prominent black leader come forward and denounce this man’s actions. I haven’t seen the media denounce such behavior. Therefore, I must assume these folks agree with what the man says.

Keemo on July 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Once again I feel the need to apologize to my Israeli colleagues for this arrogant, amaturish, buffoonish, race-card playing, Muslim appeasing, POS.

crazy_legs on July 12, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Switzerland rejects Polanski extradition

canopfor on July 12, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Surely many of those GITMO detainees have shown a fondness for “child brides” in emulation of their prophet Mohammed?

Maybe this is how Barack can mend his broken promise to his leftist base & close down GITMO: send ‘em all over to Switzerland!

leilani on July 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Like, say, Pok-ee-ston?

crazy_legs on July 12, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I knew it wouldn’t be easy when Ed Morrissey decided to take me to the wood shed, but I didn’t get elected to be popular. I will just have to soldier on…
/obama

abobo on July 12, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I agree with — why are the police being targeted for assassinations — we had 2 white officers shot in the neck from behind on a late nite call and the guy has yet to come to trial — over 2 years now ..

wheels on July 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM

“Mommie, the boys won’t let me play!” -Obooba.

Akzed on July 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Manchild in the Holy Land.

Buy Danish on July 12, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Keemo on July 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I haven’t either. I’m taking that to mean that if you or I wanted to stand in front of a polling place come November with a bat in hand calling for the killing of blacks and their babies it would be no big deal.

scalleywag on July 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM

cmsinaz on July 12, 2010 at 8:25 AM

..you ‘n me, old friend. And so do these guys!

The War Planner on July 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Barry just wants to be loved.

GarandFan on July 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Keemo on July 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM

But it was pretty funny when the NBPP spokesman (or whatever his title is) came out and announced that the lunatic’s call for exterminating white people was not the “official” position of the NBPP.

AZCoyote on July 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM

AZCoyote on July 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Sharpton, Jackson, NAACP… Silence speaks volume.

Keemo on July 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Narcissists don’t belong in a high profile public office.

Why do we get so many of them, right and left? I live in Canada, where I suffered through the narcissism of Mr. Clinton, and the narcissistic fulmination of the media about Mr. Bush, and now this. My friends and neighbours were very quick to criticize Bush et al. (what else could they do, with the media coverage being their only source?) but cannot hear or understand the simple observation about Mr. Clinton or Mr. Obama: “Wow! How full of himself is THIS guy?”

brambo_42 on July 12, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Why should he stop playing the victim card now? It has gotten him to the presidency.

Man, that Hillary just knifes him in the back every chance she gets, doesn’t she? Every time she does it, I get the oddest feeling of schadenfreude.

Kafir on July 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Democrat playbook page 1: play the victim card

skanter on July 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I couldn’t agree more with the analysis here.

Mr. Obama is rigidly and dogmatically stuck on casting aspersions at others for any negatives which occur in his life. It’s one thing if he does this, however reflexively and however unappealing it might be, as a part of his political persona. If, on the other hand, he actually believes the tripe that issues forth from his lips when he’s in excuse-making mode, then I feel sorry for him in the same way I feel sorry for a mentally ill person who genuinely can’t stop her/his symptoms.

martin.hale on July 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Quick- Somebody get the toys out of the sandbox before scooter starts throwing them!

huskerdiva on July 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Isn’t that why he was elected? Because millions really believed he was this poor put apon victim? I get really tired of this crap…and I’m especially tired of hearing a President act this way.

capejasmine on July 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM

petefrt on July 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Turn off the A/C in DC first and then watch our “betters” light out for cooler climes for six months out of the year … and that’d be a good thing.

ya2daup on July 12, 2010 at 12:58 PM

scalleywag on July 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I do kinda want to see someone do that and bring the biggest civil rights case in the history of the United States when the racist Holder charges them.

Although I suppose sufficient grounds already exist for such a case if anyone who was intimidated in Philly steps up.

James on July 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM

This is from the same man who said the opposition to him is because “I don’t look like all the other presidents ” on our money.

I detect a trend

tom on July 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM

ProudPalinFan on July 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Holy cow….. you’re absolutely right!

Had to Google for images since I had no idea what she looked like. Here’s another.

UltimateBob on July 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Why did he and the media hide his middle name until after the election?…then he adopted it, proudly – the exact reverse of what he did with those swearing under the bus now…

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2010 at 1:49 PM

He is certifiably and clinically ill with NPD.

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Daggett on July 12, 2010 at 8:10 AM
Yep, and we can vote Obama out of office, but we can’t get rid of the people who voted for him. Now, that is scary!

mobydutch on July 12, 2010 at 2:35 PM