How many people have left the workforce?

posted at 2:00 pm on July 10, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

As a follow-up to my earlier post on employment and stimulus, here’s a chart of what may be the most significant data on the topic.  Barack Obama claims that the unemployment rate dropping from 9.7% to 9.5% shows that we’re moving in the right direction economically — but that data doesn’t include those who have left the workforce out of discouragement.  They have no jobs and have given up looking for another due to economic conditions, according to the categorization by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  This chart shows the direction in which our economic policies have taken the US:

(numbers in thousands)

These represent the gross numbers of able-bodied workers outside the workforce and no longer looking for jobs.  The red star indicated when Barack Obama’s stimulus was passed, and we can see the effects or lack thereof on the workforce afterward.  Not only has the unemployment rate gone up and the number of jobs continued to drop since February 2009, Americans are increasingly leaving the workforce instead of joining it.

In what universe does this show “the right direction”?

Comments

In Obama universe, where what he says is, no matter what actually is.

Bob's Kid on July 10, 2010 at 2:04 PM

In what universe does this show “the right direction”?

Why in “Barry’s World”, of course! Where defeat is winning, strength is weakness, wrong is right, opacity is transparency. Or haven’t you been paying attention?

GarandFan on July 10, 2010 at 2:06 PM

It’s the taxes stupid.

abobo on July 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Barry looked at the graph saw it pointing up and assumed that was a good thing, you know what happens when one assumes

Daveyardbird on July 10, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Anyone know if there’s data for those re-entering the workforce? In other words, people who had previously given up on job-hunting (and thus not counting towards unemployment) but who are now looking for jobs again.

LastRick on July 10, 2010 at 2:10 PM

All of this bad news is so repetitive that I can’t think of anything original to comment; and to think it probably will get much worse. Our country desperately needs a real savior not an imaginary one like we have now.

docdave on July 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM

This is not the right direction, but the left direction.

keep the change on July 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM

the star in the dragt may be the stimulus

but look at Jan 2008 for the inaugeration
and Nov 2007 for the speculation

just wait for the tax heights to hit
looks like many businesses already have

this doesn’t even factor in
professionals who are now doing medial jobs to pay bills
nor college students graduating to no positions

audiotom on July 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM

dragt – graph

audiotom on July 10, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Ed, don’t blame Obama only. Both Repub’s and dem’s are to blame. Repub’s sat by aloof and indifferent for 8 years as millions of US jobs were outsourced “and” as illegals were allowed in to steal jobs that US citizens needed. Certainly Obama has tried to dowse the fire with gasoline and it has had the expected results. But there is plenty of blame to go around in both political parties. Darvin Dowdy

Darvin Dowdy on July 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM

LastRick on July 10, 2010 at 2:10 PM

These are net numbers by month, so anyone reentering the workforce is represented by these numbers.

Ed Morrissey on July 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Obama: Up is always better, right?

Mojave Mark on July 10, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Maybe Obama should get off the golf course and go visit any unemployment center in any city sometime to see the long line of people filing for compensation, or go stop by any local homeless shelter to see the increasing number of people who have lost their homes and the livelihood and now are relying the the charity of others to pull through, or go to any job placement service to see the number of able-bodied men and women who seriously want to get back to work being turned away because no work is available.

Then let him get up and try to tell the nation on how we are moving in “the right direction”.

pilamaye on July 10, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Everyone is employable. The idle rich is the biggest problem we have.

PrezHussein on July 10, 2010 at 2:24 PM

According to Nanzi Pelousy, everyone should just draw murals on each others homeless tents or find other artsy things to do. After all, you no longer have to worry about healthcare. This is a time for celebration dontcha know.

Get with the program rubes.

GnuBreed on July 10, 2010 at 2:32 PM

This is the scariest indicator as far as I’m concerned. We’re in a long term depression. The media can do little to cover it up at this point.

forest on July 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Obama’s behavior doesn’t surprise me, all thinking people knew precisely what he was and how he would act. The surprising aspect is the unmitigated foolishness, stupidity and apparent ignorance of those that voted him into office.

rplat on July 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Barry sees a graph like this and thinks it is The Stairway to Heaven.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on July 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Stop b*tching.

The unions/government jobs are thriving and that’s all that matters to Obgabe.

That, and mulligans.

fogw on July 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM

In what universe does this show “the right direction”?

Why, the Obamaverse, of course. The oceans have quit rising, after all.

Didn’t you get your unicorns and Skittles, Ed?

hillbillyjim on July 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM

More people dependent on Obama’s stash is a good thing in Obama’s universe. It is the democrats, after all, who believe that people only join the military because they have no other choice, and the democrats will be needing a very large army sometime in the future. If history is any indicator, that is.

Skandia Recluse on July 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Have any numbers come out on how many jobs have been lost in dual income families where one spouse is still employed?

Connie on July 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Thank goodness we escaped a VP Palin.

jukin on July 10, 2010 at 2:49 PM

That graph looks very CLEAR, Obama.

mobydutch on July 10, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Welcome to “Pay Back”…

Seven Percent Solution on July 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM

“In what universe does this show “the right direction”?”

It’s all in the perspective, Ed. You are reading the chart from left to right. Barry is reading the chart from right to left. One of you is correct. One of you is incorrect.

(Exit question: Is the Arabic language written and read from right to left?)

Yoop on July 10, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Barry things that, like his golf score, the higher the number the better. Heckuva job, Barry.

Monica on July 10, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Maybe he had the chart upside down?

right2bright on July 10, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Simple math is the most honest.

Simple graphs show things in high relief.

Why aren’t these on the cover of TIME ?

Ok, how about tracking in The Economist?

BTW, is Jeff Immelt leaving the reservation on The One?

IlikedAUH2O on July 10, 2010 at 3:00 PM

In what universe does this show “the right direction”?

..the same universe that these pearls of wisdom come from:

Let me be clear…..

Obama:“And one of the interesting things that’s happened over the last 18 months as president is for some reason, people keep on being surprised when I do what I said I was going to do.

It’s time for America to rebuild trust with the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.  When I am president, I will start by restoring that most basic trust: That your government will do what it takes to keep you safe.  The words “never again” spoken sooo often in those weeks after Katrina must not fade to a whisper.

Obama, New Orleans Feb. 7th, 2008

Dear Leader had a Town Hall Meeting today at Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina.

THE PRESIDENT:

Well, we did give them a deadline and sort of we missed that deadline, but that’s okay.
We are — here is my promise — and by the way, I’ve been keeping my promises since I got into office.

Obama:“These negotiations will be on C-SPAN, and so the public will be part of the conversation and will see the decisions that are being made.”

Obama: “No family making less than $250,000 will see any form of tax increase.”

Then-Senator Obama declared that a recess appointment is “damaged goods” and has “less credibility” than a normal appointment.

In his weekly address today, President Obama calls for fiscal discipline and says his administration will eliminate waste and increase efficiency.

“We cannot settle for a future of rising deficits and debts that our children cannot pay,” the president says, adding that we must “recognize that we cannot meet the challenges of today with old habits and stale thinking. So much of our government was built to deal with different challenges from a different era. Too often, the result is wasteful spending, bloated programs, and inefficient results. It’s time to fundamentally change the way that we do business in Washington.

That is why I have moved quickly to work with my economic team and leaders of both parties on an American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan that will immediately jumpstart job creation and long-term growth. …
Obama on passing the stimulus

In a little over one hundred days, this Recovery Act has worked as intended…

Obama statement regarding the stimulus
Radio address,July 11, 2009

“They’re (the economy)not as bad as we think they are now.”
Barak Obama
Mar. 2009

Obama told a fundraiser in Miami that he’s cut taxes, contrary to the claims of protesters.
“You would think they’d be saying thank you,” he said.
Obama
Miami 2010,April 15

“It’s time for reform that’s built on transparency, accountability, and mutual responsibility, values fundamental to the new foundation we seek to build for our economy,” the president said.

Obama:“We need tougher border security, and a renewed focus on busting up gangs and traffickers crossing our border. . . .

Executive Order stating, “The detention facilities at Guantánamo for individuals covered by this order shall be closed as soon as practicable, and no later than one year from the date of this order.” January 22, 2009.

“We will launch a sweeping effort to root out waste, inefficiency, and unnecessary spending in our government, and every American will be able to see how and where we spend taxpayer dollars by going to a new website called recovery.gov.” – President Obama, January 28, 2009

Obama:“I want to go line by line through every item in the Federal budget and eliminate programs that don’t work, and make sure that those that do work work better and cheaper.”

<blockquote>Barack Obama, on October 15, 2008:

But there is no doubt that we’ve been living beyond our means and we’re going to have to make some adjustments……

…..Obama, in the third debate, on the video below within the first minute: “what I’ve done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut…. What I want to emphasize … is that I have been a strong proponent of pay-as-you-go. Every dollar that I’ve proposed, I’ve proposed an additional cut so that it matches.

“I could no more disown Jeremiah Wright than I could disown my own grandmother.”
—Barack Obama, March 18, 2008

“Make no mistake: We need to end an era in Washington where accountability has been absent, oversight has been overlooked, your tax dollars have been turned over to wealthy CEOs and the well-connected corporations,” Obama said at an Oct. 1 campaign stop in Wisconsin. “You need leadership you can trust to work for you, not for the special interests who have had their thumb on the scale. And together, we will tell Washington, and their lobbyists, that their days of setting the agenda are over. They have not funded my campaign. You have. They will not run my White House. You’ll help me run my White House.

“I don’t want the folks who created the mess to do a lot of talking; I don’t mind cleaning up the mess, just don’t do a lot of talking”

Barack Obama
Aug. 8, 2009 , Virginia speech

Now we get this:

“Why don’t you grab a mop…why don’t you help clean up….”

Obama in New Orleans, Oct. 2009

…..In our Naton….there has never been a bigger disconnect between what the President says and what he actually does.

“Hope and Change baby….Hope and Change!!!”

Baxter Greene on July 10, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Know who I’d like to see leave the workforce? Celebrities like Demi Moore and her empty-headed boyfriend who gave Obummer their glittering endorsement.

I hope America stops going to the movies and expensive concert. Until these Hollywood types decide America is worth saving, I’m done with them.

Dolts.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 10, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Look at it this way, Obowma isn’t done dishing out the payback yet.

tarpon on July 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Why don’t we switch to the employment rate instead of the unemployment rate? Wouldn’t that be more clear?

JohnJ on July 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM

docdave on July 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM You’re right, it gets harder and harder to find something positive to say.

The people around here are becoming resolute. Elections should be interesting. On a positive note, I recently listened to Sarah Palin’s book while traveling. She is genuine and positive, like a breathe of fresh air in the Obama cesspool. Remember, less than 4 months for some relief.

indypat on July 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Redistribution of jobs.
Financial Overhaul Provision to Promote Diversity Hiring in Federal Agencies Stirs Backlash.

Once you have a large percentage of unemployed, most white, most male, (just by sheer population numbers)create a finincial bitll that would require employers to hire larger numbers of minorities and women over white male workers as the economy starts to rebound.

You can thank self confessed socialist / communist
Rep. Maxine Waters.

Or as Socialist President Obama would say, “Leveling the playing field”.

Badbrucskie on July 10, 2010 at 3:30 PM

sigh. It’s a global marketplace. I’m so tired of people blaming the GOP for outsourcing when there’s nothing the gop can do to outbid an Indian or Chinese worker who’s willing to accept less pay and benefits. It’s not preventing outsourcing that needs to happen, it’s economic growth and innovation that is needed.

cpaulus on July 10, 2010 at 3:31 PM

In what universe does this show “the right direction”?

In Obama, Nancy, Harry and the media’s kindergartens

Schadenfreude on July 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Can someone explain to me, unemployed Bob, how you can afford to stop looking for a job? Independently wealthy? I don’t get it. If I stopped looking I would soon be homeless, I get no benes anymore, so i do what I have to to survive, BUT I certainly don’t give up, Hell I Can’t give up!

Bobnormal on July 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

flytier on July 10, 2010 at 3:49 PM

As far as Barry is concerned, we are headed in the right direction.

People mistakenly assume that we have common cause with our Manchurian President.

turfmann on July 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Ed,

It sure would be nice of you to include the multiplier for the Y axis. As it reads now, 1200 people have permanently left the workforce.

Eff Cliffy on July 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM

The chart shown here only goes back to 2007. If you want to see something scary, go to the BLS chart site, and check “discouraged workers.”

Run the dates back to 1994 (the furthest it goes) and check “include graphs.”

There are something like 500,000 more discouraged workers now than ever before.

tbrosz on July 10, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Well, at least we know he is not resting…

Fallon on July 10, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I’m wondering along with Bobnormal. How do you get to a position where you can just give up looking? What comes after that ? In my life, I guess suicide.

teacherman on July 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM

The media isn’t trying to cover anything up. Our country is conditioned to believe that recessions will end in a V-shaped recover because that’s how every recession over the last 20 years has ended. Most people don’t understand the severity of the near total economic collapse that occurred in 2008. If you want to understand what lies ahead, the best point of comparison is Japan in 1990′s. It also faced a major bubble collapse marked by plunging asset prices.

In a balance sheet recession, both business and consumers refuse to spend in order to reduce their debt and recover from lost net worth. In Japan, when the government tried to become ‘austere’, the budget deficit actually increased.
Don’t kid yourself- the only thing that’s kept the economy above water is government spending.

bayam on July 10, 2010 at 4:28 PM

We have become a banana republic.

PattyJ on July 10, 2010 at 4:31 PM

and he keeps blaming w and the gop don’cha know….

cmsinaz on July 10, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Suicide in no solution (Ozzy Osbourne) I just wish I could get one of those Construction jobs I see the Illegals going to every morning, and NO! they make 15-25$ an hour which would be fine with me,
P.S. under the table no less, I talk to them, I know that of which I speak

Bobnormal on July 10, 2010 at 4:39 PM

In what universe does this show “the right direction”?

The Cloward-Piven universe.

Daggett on July 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I’m just curious, where do these numbers come from? How do they determine someone has become discouraged and just given up looking for a job? Polls? Guesstimate?

ButterflyDragon on July 10, 2010 at 4:57 PM

ButterflyDragon on July 10, 2010 at 4:57 PM

As I understand it, discouraged workers are counted by looking at job center attendance. Those that stop contacting job centers for a few weeks fall into one category, while longer lack of contact puts them into another.

Here is some stuff from the BLS Glossary:

Marginally attached workers (Current Population Survey)
Persons not in the labor force who want and are available for work, and who have looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months (or since the end of their last job if they held one within the past 12 months), but were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey. Discouraged workers are a subset of the marginally attached. (See Discouraged workers.)

GnuBreed on July 10, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I just clicked on the BLS link, but the message I get is that the page is currently unavailable.

I’d say this is another government coverup since HA has pointed out the flaw in the logic spewed from from the forked-tongue White Mosque, but then I’d sound like a truther, which I ain’t.

Still, something’s rotten in Denmark.

madmonkphotog on July 10, 2010 at 5:24 PM

madmonk, I just retried the link above and it went right to the page.

GnuBreed on July 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Doesn’t the BLS include discouraged workers in the U-6 unemployment statistic?

Caiwyn on July 10, 2010 at 5:51 PM

This is the notice I’m getting. I’ve tried again:

Notice
Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:06 PM

The database is currently unavailable.

madmonkphotog on July 10, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I have no problem with outsourcing if it makes good business sense and enables a U.S. company to be more competitive. If outsourcing produces a cheaper, better product for me to buy, why not? I’d prefer that over ridiculous govt regs that force companies to follow non-competitive business practices.

Y-not on July 10, 2010 at 6:28 PM

And from our leftist trolls –nothing but

crrickets

CWforFreedom on July 10, 2010 at 6:34 PM

It’s probably raaaaacist for even mentioning this little slice of reality.

William Teach on July 10, 2010 at 6:39 PM

how to destroy freedom in 8 years or less. desperate people do??? ummm how does it go?

allrsn on July 10, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Remember when this was called “funemployment” by a bunch of annoying lefties?

Hey, nimrods! Still having fun?

trapeze on July 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM

My job as a Project Manager at a design firm designing Ethanol plants went away in April 2009 because no one could get a loan to build a plant. I was lucky. Already retired from the Navy Reserve and over 62, I took the leap and took early Social Security. I did look for a job — for 5 about months or so — but there are only so many engineering jobs in Omaha Nebraska. So, I quit looking and “dropped out”. I am retired at 64 but certainly would like to work a few more years. Now, who’s going to hire a 64 year old engineer, Mr Obama? No one around here…..

CaptSteve on July 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Thank you, Ed! This is a frightening as I expected, especially in view of the fact they haven’t accounted for all of the folks that should be represented by that graph.

Very scary stuff and what happens in 2011 when all the new taxes kick in and all the new paperwork?

dogsoldier on July 10, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Y-not on July 10, 2010 at 6:28 PM

What about the H1-B scam? Are you ok with 300,000 or more foreign workers here, in the current circumstance? Why do we have any foreign workers here at all?

FYI There are 65k H1-b’s allocated every year and they are allowed to be here for like five years…. Should there even be ONE issued?

I know companies around here that are known as “H1 shops”.

dogsoldier on July 10, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Didn’t the exact same thing happen to FDR? But probably Bush’s fault…

karl9000 on July 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Why do we have any foreign workers here at all?

dogsoldier on July 10, 2010 at 8:34 PM

D*mn good question.

One of the first things that should be done in a serious depression is to send foreign workers home. Any government that gives a rip about it’s populace will focus on their benefits before that of others.

…but of course, the current crowd in DC couldn’t care less. As amply demonstrated by the Restumblicans who did jack squat while our jobs were shipped overseas. The Dems were even worse – cheering it on in the name of ‘fairness’.

Dark-Star on July 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM

So explain to me how you can feel good about leaving all these people hanging out to dry and not insisting that unemployment be continued? The argument works both ways.
~ Halli Casser-Jayne

The CJ Political Report on July 10, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Simple math is the most honest.
Simple graphs show things in high relief.
Why aren’t these on the cover of TIME ?
Ok, how about tracking in The Economist?

I don’t know, maybe because if you looked at many other countries where major stimulus spending has occurred- such as China- you’d seen substantial results?

The chart would be valid if Canada and the US were facing economic problems of the same magnitude. It’s amazing how many people don’t understand how close this country came to complete economic collapse and the end of capitalism as it’s been practiced in US for decades. Certainly Wall Street execs and bankers understand. But the rest of the population is out of touch. The stimulus was never going to result in a V-shaped recovery. It only prevented a far worse outcome.

bayam on July 10, 2010 at 9:48 PM

It is Obama’s objective to collapse the system.

HellCat on July 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Thanks, Ed.

Eff Cliffy on July 10, 2010 at 10:46 PM

“Why don’t you grab a mop…why don’t you help clean up….”
Obama in New Orleans, Oct. 2009

Uhm………..? cuz you locked the door to the janitor closet?

DSchoen on July 11, 2010 at 6:10 AM

~ Halli Casser-Jayne

The CJ Political Report on July 10, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Who wants to “feel good”? We shouldn’t enact policy to “feel good”. We should enact policy that is economically sound.

Instead of Democrats moving money from unspent stimulus funds into the unemployment extension bill, they just want to create more debt for future generations to pay off. Does that make the millions of children impacted by such an irresponsible policy “feel good”?

I’m sure I’m in a definite minority when I say this, but human suffering will ALWAYS exist. Period. For as long as there has been record keeping, humans have spoken about the suffering of their fellow man. But yet, after thousands of years, it still continues.

I think that’s a clue for folks to understand that it will ALWAYS exist. There is no policy, law, “enlightenment” or anything else that will change the FACT all humans are wired differently and will act differently.

History has also shown us that society benefits more from charity given out of kindness, rather than coercion. It’s time for the government to stop pretending it can be all things to all people.

Unemployment is a wealth creation problem. At this point in time, the government is destroying the wealth creators in this country. If we want true employment and real economic success, it’s time for the government to encourage the creation of wealth rather than the redistribution of it’s fruits.

That would make me “feel good”.

ButterflyDragon on July 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM

CaptSteve on July 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM,

Contact me. We may have some mutual friends. My addy is on the sidebar at Power and Control. Google it. The blog comes out on top.

MSimon on July 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I fully understand being unemployed and underemployed and looking for work since I’m in that group (and have been for the last year plus), but how bad must it be that people are actually giving up even looking? How do they pay the bills? I’ve cobbled together an income from part-time and freelance jobs, and a little bit of rainy day money. For people who don’t live someplace as a cheap as I do and who don’t have much if any money coming in . . . I just don’t know how they are living. I think we are thisclose to Obamavilles cropping up all over the country.

Insanity. This man and his evil cohorts in Congress must go!

NoLeftTurn on July 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM

If you can, offer a hand up to those folks who’ve stopped looking. Kudos to those among you who do.

Christien on July 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM

There are a lot of cold-hearted people out there. And they call themselves “Judeo-Christians.” Hm.

The CJ Political Report on July 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I think we are thisclose to Obamavilles cropping up all over the country.

Insanity. This man and his evil cohorts in Congress must go!

NoLeftTurn on July 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Obamavilles are sprouting up all over. In NJ one town is threatening to sue one tent/cardboard village according to an article I read last week. What they expect to collect is a mystery.

In answer to your question; one begins by selling off the possessions one has assembled over a lifetime. Thats just what you do. You work odd jobs and sell more of your stuff.

And hope you find a job.

dogsoldier on July 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I’ve thought for a long time that the number that should be widely reported is the number of Americans working. Then we’d know if we had created more jobs or not.

hawksruleva on July 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM

The whole issue was spawed by the 4.00/gal oil prices a.nd 3.50 gas. With someone tweaking that back where it should be the problems would go away if they’d cut all these damn taxes. If Obama knows how to throttle us down so the rest of the world can even out, well then he knows how to throttle us back up as do the rest. He just isnt doing it.

Also, dont forget this healthcare thing. It will come back to bite us in the ass. It already is biting some businesses.

johnnyU on July 12, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I read this morning there are over two million folks whose benefits ran out several months ago and every month a couple hundred thousand get added to the number.

Those folks are not on the graph because they are off the rolls.

hawksruleva on July 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM

The lib trolls will point you at Bozo’s recovery web site.

One last note: Did I mention the huge tax and paperwork hit coming Jan 1, 2011?

Private sector employers are gonna start folding like lawn chairs.

dogsoldier on July 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM

The CJ Political Report on July 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I think you’re making a mistake here, the same mistake many liberals make. You’re assuming that saying “these people must be helped” = “the government must help these people.”

The government can only spend money it takes in in taxes. Our government forgot that quite some time ago, and has now put the country in in worse debt than at any other time in its history. Where is the money going to come from to extend employment benefits, or anything else, for that matter? Just print more? That will cause inflation, which hurts poor people most of all. Cut other spending? Do you see this government cutting any spending at all, anywhere? Neither do I.

No one here is saying that unemployed people do not deserve help or should not get it. Plenty of HAers are themselves unemployed, underemployed, or have taken jobs out of their field to get work, or have family or friends in those situations.

Unemployed people need jobs, first and last and foremost. And not just for money to live on — we human beings need jobs for soul-satisfaction, for the sense of pulling our weight, making a contribution to society, for a sense of purpose in life. Unemployment benefits can feed your body for a short time, but they don’t nourish the soul — on the contrary, they starve it. I was unemployed during the ’92-93 recession, so I know this personally.

The best thing government can do for unemployed people is to create an economic environment that allows the private sector to create jobs. What’s infuriating is that the current bunch of bozos in office are doing everything but that.

Mary in LA on July 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Oh, and BTW, nothing I said has anything to do with being a Judeo-Christian, or not. Did you somewhere get the idea that being devout gives a person a get-out-of-reality-free card? Doesn’t work that way.

Mary in LA on July 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM