Why? Epic Fiorina-Boxer Hair War Enters Month Two

posted at 2:20 pm on July 9, 2010 by Mary Katharine Ham

In a battle whose equal has rarely been seen outside the walls of the Kut ‘n’ Kurl of Topeka, the Republican candidate Carly Fiorina and Sen. Barbara Boxer are in a war of words over…their hair. It started a month ago when Fiorina was caught on a hot mic, quoting a friend who bashed Boxer’s ‘do:

“God, what is that hair?” a laughing Fiorina said, while quoting a friend who had recently seen Boxer on television. “So yesterday.”

Boxer responded a month ago by saying she’d rather talk about jobs than hair, and Fiorina at first laughed off the incident, saying she was merely quoting a friend, then told Fox News Sunday she regretted inadvertently getting the campaign onto a hair discussion.

A Field Poll found Boxer in a statistical dead heat with Fiorina yesterday but the AP stuck to the issues and wrote about the hair comment again this week. Boxer changed course with this comeback:

“I was thinking, what if every single person whoever had a bad hair day, male or female, voted for me? I’d win my a landslide,” Boxer quipped while riding in a van on her way to a press conference at Sacramento International Airport. “So I decided I’m going after the bad hair vote.”

I can’t be positive, but the way it’s written seems to suggest the AP initiated talk of the hair story. Why? Was it really necessary to ask Boxer, a month after the fact, if she handled Coif-gate properly? To my knowledge, this important issue had not resurfaced. I think we can all safely say it is now resolved, and we can move onto Fiorina’s position on Obamacare or Boxer’s low approval numbers.

I must say I enjoyed Boxer’s revised comeback more than the first. Is it just me, or is it reminiscent of a Jerk Store moment?

Comments

The split ends justify the means…

ConstantSorrow on July 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Boxer grasping at straws(or hairs?)

sandee on July 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Talking about issues isn’t safe AT ALL for Boxer. I’m thinking that the media will try to keep the hair discussion going as long as possible.

logis on July 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Should we vote for Boxer now, because she made a clever comeback?

fossten on July 9, 2010 at 2:25 PM

If they don’t resolve this soon, I’ll just Curl Up and Dye.

LASue on July 9, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Maam, you will have a lot of time to worry about your hair during your retirement. I hope.

GnuBreed on July 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Hahaha, the clip was an excellent analogy, and now thanks to the post I’ll spend the next few minutes at YouTube watching the top 10 Seinfeld clips!

scalleywag on July 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

From bread and circus to bread and hairspray.

The Romans did it better, you have to admit.

(yeah, have to come up with a substitute for bread)

SteveMG on July 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

What was it the opponents of feminism said back at the turn of the century last Millenia… If you give women the right to vote and hold office the only debates they’ll have will be how their hair looks…

heh… they were right…

/facepalm

Skywise on July 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

LASue on July 9, 2010 at 2:28 PM

LOL

scalleywag on July 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM

A Field Poll found Boxer in a statistical dead heat with Fiorina yesterday but the AP stuck to the issues and wrote about the hair comment again this week. Boxer changed course with this comeback..

..if only hair were Boxer’s only problem. She’s got a face like a dull hatchet and is dumber than..er..well, a box of rocks.

The War Planner on July 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM

From bread and circus to bread and hairspray.

The Romans did it better, you have to admit.

(yeah, have to come up with a substitute for bread)

SteveMG on July 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

They certainly did if Starz’ Spartacus series was as accurate as they claimed it was…

Skywise on July 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Let’s all just vote for the first candidate who “pulls a Britney” :-)

Fogpig on July 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM

just shut up and campaign!

upinak on July 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM

To save money, Fiorina said, Congress should adopt caps on malpractice judgments the way California did in the 1970s.

At least she admits the dirty little secret that CA has had the most draconian form of tort reform imaginable ($250,000 cap on general damages) for over 30 years. Usually that little factoid is brushed under the carpet, because the impact on insurance rates and defensive medicine in CA never materialized.

tommylotto on July 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Skywise on July 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

*snicker*

Spartacus

I liked that show, I don’t care what anyone says….

BigWyo on July 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM

That quote is not in its proper context. During the video, Carly is relating what OTHER people were saying. She didn’t simply blurt out “God, what is that hair” as if she said it herself. She was relating what other people in the room the evening before had said.

crosspatch on July 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM

sigh …….. all this talk about hair makes me jealous.

I gotta cut a hole in my pants pocket in order to run my fingers thru my hair ….

Jerome Horwitz on July 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM

crosspatch on July 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Your facts to not make a good story…you will never be a journalist with that kind of attitude.

right2bright on July 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM

This campaign ENDS for Barbra Boxer when Fiorina starts running ads featuring Boxer’s disgracefull assult on a US General.

All that ad needs to do is to replay Boxer, at her finest moment, and ask ‘Do we really want this kind of representation?’

Freddy on July 9, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Catfight!!!

Mr Purple on July 9, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I liked that show, I don’t care what anyone says….

BigWyo on July 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I’m not sure I *like* it but I’m very impressed with what it tries to do. Panning from a woman’s thigh in the throws of love making to the map on the table she’s on then zooming in and transitioning to the troops on that position on the map was inspired.
(Of course I’m a guy and, like Playboy, I watch the show for it’s..uh… historical articles accuracy… yeah…)

Skywise on July 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Same reasons journalists will keep bringing up Joe Barton’s “apology” comment at every opportunity. It’s to remind people of the comment, and to give Democrats the opportunity to make “quips” about it long after the fact.

forest on July 9, 2010 at 2:51 PM

sigh …….. all this talk about hair makes me jealous.

Jerome Horwitz on July 9, 2010

Remember, God only made so many perfect heads. To the rest He gave hair.

Extrafishy on July 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Whatever it takes to get their preferred candidate to win. Nothing is to low or obscure to make a Republican look bad or continue an embarrassing theme.

If it were the other way around, do you think this would even had airplay at all?

JeffWeimer on July 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM

“BITCH!”
“SLUT!”
“Have at you!”
“Gesundheit!”

mojo on July 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Headlines from an alternate universe:

Boxer agrees that she has terrible hair.

bitsy on July 9, 2010 at 3:20 PM

tommylotto on July 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM

That would be news to people who have actually studied it.

California has had a $250,000 cap on noneconomic damages in medical malpractice since 1975. Following adoption of that change, liability premiums for California physicians rose 283% compared to 925% for physicians in the rest of the country.

Also, your statement is a falsehood. The cap applies only to noneconomic damages, also known as “pain and suffering” and does not affect material or actual damages.

Meanwhile, what you’re attempting is a spurious comparison. Costs have gone up in California because the state has larded on mandate after mandate after mandate of conditions that must be covered, and also openly encouraged nonpayment of medical bills by welfare patients and illegal immigrants. It’s akin to buying a fuel-efficient car, buying a house that’s twice as expensive and then arguing that fuel efficiency is ineffective because your total expenses didn’t go down.

Boxer does this because a) she’s an idiot, b) she’s a pathological liar, and c) she knows there are Obama Party members out there that repeat everything she says as gospel truth without checking facts, common sense, or sanity.

Consider yourself proof of c).

northdallasthirty on July 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM

The audio tape on this is one of the funniest things I’ve heard in politics. Great fun for Carly.

Jaibones on July 9, 2010 at 3:26 PM

crosspatch on July 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM

The “So yesterday” comment might have been Fiorina’s own.

Even if all she was doing was quoting a friend, Fiorina comes off as being “catty” and petty. I think that is why AP and/or Boxer is willing to revive the hair comment discussion.

By the way, does quoting a friend, particularly when a comment is unsolicited, a good excuse now?

Ira on July 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM

… Costs have gone up in California because the state has larded on mandate after mandate after mandate of conditions that must be covered …

northdallasthirty on July 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Not pausing for the recession … Ca just slaps on another mandate!

Freddy on July 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Well, I am sure that Fiorina could ask that all voters who know or have known someone who lost their hair to cancer to vote for her.

texasconserv on July 9, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Boxer is trying to distract us from her face. Someone send the woman some Oil of Olay already.

ctmom on July 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Is it just me, or is it reminiscent of a Jerk Store moment?

It reminds me of a Cat Fight moment.

RadClown on July 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM

texasconserv on July 9, 2010 at 3:38 PM

That does prove that she’s a fighter. Her hair will probably keep growing through the campaign.

Maybe she can provoke Boxer to “wig out”.

Steve Z on July 9, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Fiorina should not let Boxer distract her from the important issues. I’m sure she knows that Boxers trying to use hair as a distraction.

MCGIRV on July 9, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Well, I guess that’d be a problem if Fiorina had only talked about Boxer’s hair or had continually brought up Boxer’s looks (the way Huckabee always manages to do with Palin). And, of course, it might also be a problem for Carly if what she said was untrue… but it isn’t.

Look at images of Carly pre-cancer and tell me the woman doesn’t have great hair… and a terrific sense of style (the image used in this post notwithstanding).

Then find me a good picture of Boxer. One will suffice.

I sure don’t hold Fiorina’s gaffe (and it was a gaffe to be caught on a live mic like that) against her. But I sure do wish I could hear what she had to say about the First Lady!

Y-not on July 9, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I’m trying to follow the race, but can’t figure out who is the tortoise and who is the hare.

MJBrutus on July 9, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I would have to watch the clip again, but I believe the train of the conversation began with her cohorts were wolfing down burgers while watching Boxer after the primary. Then I believe she chuckles and relates them all commenting on Boxer’s hair. So it seems just friendly “banter” and she is going on about how she hasn’t eaten, everyone else ate the night before, and then she gets a bit of a chortle out of remembering the hair comments as an aside.

Seems the sort of thing one might say to a friend when engaged in chit chat about the evening before.

She just wasn’t aware the mike was live or if she was, she probably never thought anyone would release the audio of conversation that should have been “off the record” as it wasn’t even a part of any interview. Personally, I believe it reflects on the integrity of the organization taping the interview. What is next, cameras following people to the bathroom and recording embarrassing sounds? Where is the limit as to what is and is not “news”?

crosspatch on July 9, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Remember, God only made so many perfect heads. To the rest He gave hair.

Extrafishy on July 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Does that mean my head is slowly growing more perfect?

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on July 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Not a Boxer fan by any stretch of the imagination, but really, Carly shouldn’t throw stones on the hair issue. Hers is no great shakes.

sandspur on July 9, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Let’s all just vote for the first candidate who “pulls a Britney” :-)

Fogpig on July 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Damn I hope you’re not talking about the time she got out of her car and it was clear she wasn’t wearing panties. Seeing Babs like that will blind.

Squiggy on July 10, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Why is Carly Fiorina letting Babs turn everything into a superficial cat fight? Babs is framing the discussion. Maybe Forina should point that out and then talk about something that doesn’t involve High School Girls.

Bab’s hair do -
How does that effect Californians?

Superficial Crap Style over Substance is why California is in the shape it’s in.

Dr Evil on July 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM