Krauthammer: I believe Obama may be a tad narcissistic

posted at 2:55 pm on July 9, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Actually, the narcissism concerns Charles Krauthammer less than the seemingly knee-jerk antipathy to the US that Barack Obama expresses, especially when traveling abroad.  Anyone who runs for the position known as the Leader of the Free World and The Most Powerful Man (or Woman) on Earth has to have a healthy enough ego to believe not just that he or she can do the job, but are the best person for those titles.  Usually, though, Presidents are seasoned enough to keep their narcissism in check and temper it with a larger expression of affection for America.

With Obama, Krauthammer says … not so much:

It’s fine to recognize the achievements of others and be non-chauvinistic about one’s country. But Obama’s modesty is curiously selective. When it comes to himself, modesty is in short supply.

It began with the almost comical self-inflation of his presidential campaign, from the still inexplicable mass rally in Berlin in front of a Prussian victory column to the Greek columns framing him at the Democratic convention. And it carried into his presidency, from his posture of philosopher-king adjudicating between America’s sins and the world’s to his speeches marked by a spectacularly promiscuous use of the word “I.”

Notice, too, how Obama habitually refers to Cabinet members and other high government officials as “my” — “my secretary of homeland security,” “my national security team,” “my ambassador.” The more normal — and respectful — usage is to say “the,” as in “the secretary of state.” These are, after all, public officials sworn to serve the nation and the Constitution — not just the man who appointed them. …

Obama is not the first president with a large streak of narcissism. But the others had equally expansive feelings about their country. Obama’s modesty about America would be more understandable if he treated himself with the same reserve. What is odd is to have a president so convinced of his own magnificence — yet not of his own country’s.

Monarchs have the royal “we,” and we have a tradition of the republican “the,” both of which are intended to show an image against one-man rule.  Before we start getting a slew of YouTubes showing the two Bushes, Reagan, and others using “my” and “I,” let’s just stipulate that it’s a common practice and not a hard-and-fast protocol.  Krauthammer refers to a pattern that many have noticed about Obama, his repetitive self-referential language in speeches and remarks that far exceed anything seen from his predecessors — even the man we used to call The Big Me, Bill Clinton.

Even if there was a point to all of this derogation of the US on the foreign stage at first — even if one accepts that the successor to George W. Bush had to show some humility in public interactions abroad, which I don’t — enough is enough.  It’s no longer credible that this is just a rhetorical device to a clear objective policy goal.  It’s quite obviously Obama’s personal viewpoint, and combined with his continued self-focus, shows a remarkable cluelessness as well as hubris.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Google president obama speech + “I” returns “About 58,000,000 results.” Google president obama speech + “me” returns about 16,100,000 results.

Not really all that accurate, but entertaining and telling nontheless.

crazy_legs on July 9, 2010 at 4:10 PM

President Bush speech + “I” only nets 29,100,000 and it took him 8 years to get there, lol.

Dee2008 on July 9, 2010 at 4:18 PM

That’s funny. I recall Krathammer being quite impressed with Obama during and immediately after the campaign.

bw222 on July 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Krauthammer has been consistently critical of Obama for a long time.

Dee2008 on July 9, 2010 at 4:14 PM

This.

bw22, you should read people’s articles consistently over time before you say things about them.

then again, that isn’t your modus operandi

blatantblue on July 9, 2010 at 4:21 PM

And if that’s the search you used, that’s two President Bushes that it’s serching for.

crazy_legs on July 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Krauthammer did write an article early, early on about Obama’s narcissistic nature, and I trusted him after that to keep up on this same vein. Instead, like many people have pointed out, he always commended Obama’s brilliance and eloquence as a prelude to the outrageous and stupid dung-heap
policies Obama brought about.

betsyz on July 9, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Which is too say Krauthammer help fed the meme which has propped up and creditialized thye Obama “story” from the get go.

A man from humble means, not. Obama was raised by his grandparents who lived on Mercer Island, WA. where you too can have such “humble” neighbors such as Bill Gates.

Academic and intellectual excellence, of which there is absolutely zero proof of, no grades from his fancy prep school in Hawaii, Occidental, Columbia or Harvard whwe he managed to head the Law Review without writing ANYTHING!

His commanding oratory, which without his telepromters primarily consists of Ums & Ahhs.

His personal charm and charisma, which vitually disappears in any forum lacking his usual sycophants.

His ability to bring people together, which is so demonstrably absent it is doubtful that he could bring the stray cur to reconcile with a bitch in heat.

From top to bottom there is no avoiding the fact that the media has abjectly surrendered its responsibilities and perpetrated fraud on the American people!

Archimedes on July 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I’m less convinced that this has to do with Obama the man than with Obama the liberal/leftists. I.e., ideology, not personality. Obama is simply the personification of the liberal/left view of America and of themselves.
SteveMG on July 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM

With liberals, ideology and personality are the same thing.

Ayn Rand defined liberalism (and all collectivism) as “subjectivism”: a view that sees reality only in terms of its effects on one’s feeling; which equates to perceiving one’s self as the center of the Universe.

In Barack Obama, American liberalism has run its full course, and a consummate subjectivist has been elevated to the office of President.

God help us all.

logis on July 9, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Krauthammer: I believe Obama may be a tad narcissistic

This is the unexpected, unprecedented, understatement of the year.

rukiddingme on July 9, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Obama in 2008 was like that show called The Office (the american version), everybody said he was awesome but is boring and unfunny and not very smart either.

Falz on July 9, 2010 at 4:25 PM

He has a desire for power and adulation. Period.

And it will be interesting to see what happens when he finally realizes that he has lost both.

He can’t fill up a hall any more – tickets were going for 1/2 price yesterday in KC in a room that seats 1000 people, and there were several rows of empty seats. The adulation is gone – the only “cheering” crowds these days are the ones that are bussed in for the occasion.

The power is gone as well, as Congresscritters aren’t willing to put their jobs on the line to support policies that will get them a quick trip off of the gravy train. I’m sort of getting the impression that the only people who are willing to give him an ego boost are the very ones who need their own ego boost – being able to say that they work for the POTUS. They’re just as narcissistic and power-hungry as he is.

Eventually, they will end up consuming each other – it could be a very interesting “Prisoner’s Dilemma”-type situation. Fortunately, there are grown-ups who love this country waiting in the wings to mop up the mess…..

TeresainFortWorth on July 9, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Nah, Obama a narcissist. I would never guess in a million years. Obama is the most humble self-effacing man I have ever known./s

SC.Charlie on July 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I say let him roll with it. After all, we get these gems:

My oil spill
My deficit
My recess appointment of a communist
My golf game
My cancelled space shuttle
My cap and trade tax
My BFF, Chavez
My unsecure border

He can have it…but he has to take it all.

BobMbx on July 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Behold:

Clinton
Carter

Both flaming liberals, both have yet to accept they aren’t in charge.

BobMbx on July 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM

What do you get when you have a narcissist with a socialist agenda?

a. Nazi Germany
b. U.S.S.R.
c. Wide spread misery
d. All of the above

Zorg on July 9, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I’m still convinced that Obama is the reincarnation of Joseph Goebbels. See http://www.woowoostories.com and judge for your self. (Of course, it helps to believe in reincarnation.)

NNtrancer on July 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM

CK is finally figuring this out…. or is he just saying this to be in the headlines?

Either he is slow, or he has something up his sleeve.

upinak on July 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Obama is not the first president with a large streak of narcissism. But the others had equally expansive at least some positive feelings about their country.

FIFY there, Chuck.

iurockhead on July 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM

…Prussian victory column to the Greek columns framing him at the Democratic convention.

I still have a dream of seeing the following scene play out at the 2012 GOP National Convention:

Curtain rises on delapidated Greek columns strewn about the stage, some standing, half broken, others marked “For Sale” or “Off Limits”. A narrator explains that America’s strengths, like the Acropolis, have fallen into disrepair and neglect. Regulation has prevented innovation. Our children’s futures have been sold for false promises.

Over the course of the convention, GOP leaders show how we can repair the Shining City on the Hill. Like the Statue of Liberty, with hard work we can make the future of this nation bright and clean once again.

I’m sure Mike Steele’s vision will be even better than this, though.

hawksruleva on July 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Either he is slow, or he has something up his sleeve.

upinak on July 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM

CK is back?! I thought he’d been fired or something.

Disturb the Universe on July 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM

After drinking a potion of Saul Alinsky’s, Jeremiah Wright’s, Rahm Emanuel’s, David Axelrod’s, Bill Ayers’, Adolf Hitler’s, King George III, King Louis XVI and his own creation, Barack Obama is transformed into the cruel, remorseless, pathological, misanthropic, pyromaniac (reference note #1) Herr Hussein, representing the hidden side of Obama’s dual nature brought to the fore. As Barry he has many friends and a pleasing personality, but as Herr Hussein he has become more and more dictatorial, more and more scape goating, makes ever longer enemies lists, encourages demonization and dehumanizing of political opponents and becomes ever more fascist like as time goes by as Herr Hussein grows in dominance. After taking this potion repetitively, he no longer needs to rely upon it to unleash his inner fascist demons.

Reference note #1: Such individuals who lack ulterior motive have traditionally been referred to in layman’s terms simply as a variation of a pyromaniac. Most such maniacs lack conscious motivation although they are fully aware of the acts they are failing to stop or they themselves are committing. Typically they will feel intense pleasure, gratification, or relief when causing destruction or when witnessing or participating in the aftermath. Motivation is also classified as pathological and non-pathological. Some research suggests that feeling such joy at horrific situation is pathological. Other research suggests that some motivation for this comes from rational thought. Taking joy in horrific situations for envisioned gains in political power and/or the concealment of the imposition of devious plans are examples of supposed rational decision making.

Sigmund on July 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM

When will CK notice that Obama pals around with terrorists, socialists and radicals?

hawksruleva on July 9, 2010 at 4:41 PM

CK is back?! I thought he’d been fired or something.

Disturb the Universe on July 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM

you lost me.

upinak on July 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM

OT:

Mexico bars importation of voting machines ahead US Nov elections; cites AZ immigration law.

Spokesperson for the Mexican Department of Foreign Voting had this statement: “If the WH wants us to participate in the upcoming elections, Pres. Obama will have to be more aggressive in meeting the demands made by Pres. Calderone”.

BobMbx on July 9, 2010 at 4:43 PM

you lost me.

upinak on July 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I haven’t seen a GreenRoom post from him in aeons.

Disturb the Universe on July 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I haven’t seen a GreenRoom post from him in aeons.

Disturb the Universe on July 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Oh.. wouldn’t know. I tried not to bother with him.

upinak on July 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Always remember – 3 types of “we”:
1) the Royal We
2) the Editorial We
3) the Schizophrenic We

mojo on July 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Considering Obama meets almost every DSM IV diagnostic criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder, I think Krauthammer might be onto something.

Here, you make the diagnosis:

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
(3) believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
(4) requires excessive admiration
(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Blacklake on July 9, 2010 at 5:08 PM

“cluelessness as well as hubris”

try stupidity as well as arrogance.

And throw in hatred for America and out-of-control self-love.

notagool on July 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM

bw222 on July 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM

There can’t be two Charles Krauthammers. The one I read/watch will give him credit when it’s due but that hasn’t been very often. Have you ever watched The Panel on Fox? Give me a break. And btw, he’s always right.

scalleywag on July 9, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Blacklake on July 9, 2010 at 5:08 PM

10. Thinks American’s don’t know what’s good for them like he does. Thinks all the polls showing disapproval of him and his agenda can’t be credible.
11. Thinks all the nation’s problems must have been created by the previous administration or the GOP in general.

scalleywag on July 9, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Always remember – 4 types of “we”:
1) the Royal We
2) the Editorial We
3) the Schizophrenic We
4) the “Wee doggie!”- Jed Clampett
mojo on July 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM

longfeet on July 9, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Ed, your talent for tactful understatement is equalled by few. How about saying the damn fool is always sure he’s right, even when he’s wrong.

jeanie on July 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I guess … we finally found out whose ASS to kick !!!

aniladesai on July 9, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Peacocks are indignant.

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM

SC.Charlie on July 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Either I have stomach flu, or that comment………let’s face it. It’s that comment. LOL

capejasmine on July 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Charles nails it again!

GarandFan on July 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM

BO is campaigning for president of the world. He’s not so concerned about what happens to us (or U.S.) as he is about pleasing those he hopes to govern in the future. Sure sounds like a conspiracy theory, but what else could the answer be?

ClanDerson on July 9, 2010 at 6:07 PM

jeanie on July 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Reminds me of my favorite line from Pawn Stars where the old man describes Rick as, “Always certain; seldom right.”

Dee2008 on July 9, 2010 at 6:13 PM

He fancies himself Mr. T, not realizing that in his case the “T” stands for Teleprompter.

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Ooh! Here’s a photoshop I made for purposes of demeaning Obama, who is nothing more than a liar and anti-American dirtball.

justltl on July 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I don’t care whether Obama is a narcissist with high regard for himself any more than I would a turd that thinks it smells better than Chanel Number 5.

justltl on July 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I can quantify Douglas MacArthur used to be considered, mockingly the previous narcissism and vanity champ with regard to overuse of the personal pronoun “I”. Even Eisenhower joked about it in an interview. So after Obama’s speech to the IOC seeking the Olympic Games for Chicago I ran MacArthur’s “Farewell to Congress” and “Farewell to West Point” speeches through the old word processor. In both speeches MacArthur referenced “I” about once every 90 words. Obama’s speech to the referenced “I” once every 48 words or so. Bear in mind MacArthur’s speeches’ purpose was to commemorate the end of a mostly illustrious 50-year career so a lot of self-references were justifiable. Sheesh.

kd6rxl on July 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I can quantify Obama’s vanity. Douglas MacArthur used to be considered the previous narcissism and vanity champ with regard to overuse of the personal pronoun “I”. Even Eisenhower joked about it in an interview. So after Obama’s speech to the IOC seeking the Olympic Games for Chicago I ran MacArthur’s “Farewell to Congress” and “Farewell to West Point” speeches through the old word processor. In both speeches MacArthur referenced “I” about once every 90 words. Obama’s speech to the referenced “I” once every 48 words or so. Bear in mind MacArthur’s speeches’ purpose was to commemorate the end of a mostly illustrious 50-year career so a lot of self-references were justifiable. Sheesh.

kd6rxl on July 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM

A little late Mr. Krauthammer.As i recall you were one of the so called wizards of smart that jumped all over Rush when he said he wanted Obama to fail because he was narcissistic and a socialist and wanted to do real damage to this country.Rush said the things over a year ago.

thmcbb on July 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM

but are the best person for those titles.

Please, Ed. “is the best person” — he or she is the best person.

notropis on July 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Yes, the man-child, boy wonder, Dingbat Pied Piper, Black Jesus, Black JFK, Black James Bond is kind of on the narcissistic side.

But he is a silly, ridiculous individual to me, and to many others.

Really Right on July 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM

As long as Scooter has himself, he’ll never be alone.

kingsjester on July 9, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Ed, look up the clinical definition of the narcissistic personality. Charles was being polite. I wish you would not be so O’Reilly like concerning the empty suit. He IS what he IS!

In part

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the diagnostic classification system used in the United States, as “a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and a lack of empathy.”[1]

The narcissist is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, and prestige.[2] Narcissistic personality disorder is closely linked to self-centeredness.

More on narcissistic personality disorder.

FireBlogger on July 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM

This is the man that gave the Queen of England an iPod with a video collection of his speeches. You just know that the liberal media bit their tongue on that one. Imagine any other politician getting away with that.

slickwillie2001 on July 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Everyone welcome the newest DC elite to join CLUB DUH!

And these people are so smart howcums?

PappyD61 on July 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

This is utter bs and I’m tired of reading it. It is the height of conventional wisdom and astoundingly stupid. I would expect better from you Ed.

Aquateen Hungerforce on July 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM

President of the United States – Code Name Parasite

deedtrader on July 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM

A little late Mr. Krauthammer. As I recall you were one of the so called wizards of smart that jumped all over Rush when he said he wanted Obama to fail because he was narcissistic and a socialist and wanted to do real damage to this country. Rush said the things over a year ago.

thmcbb on July 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Correct. We would be wise to pay attention to Rush, he is almost always right.

scotash on July 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM

That is kind of like saying The Titanic was a cute little raft!

cableguy615 on July 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Holy crap. I just noticed that the sky is blue at times.

Ugly on July 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Krauthammer: I believe Obama may be a tad narcissistic.

We all need something to believe in, Obama has himself. Life as self gratification.

Mojave Mark on July 9, 2010 at 8:40 PM

POTUS FUBAR, or the one, is rapidly becoming a PINO: president in name only.

Dhuka on July 9, 2010 at 9:09 PM

test

macncheez on July 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM

His mouth continues to write checks that his policies cannot support.

bbh on July 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Future history will be very humbling….I’m confident of that.

Even if that history has to be etched in stone or painted on cave walls.

DLEW on July 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Dear leader is exhibiting his sense of ownership when he refers to cabinet and other officials as ‘his’ or ‘my’. We are also ‘his’ subjects. We all belong to him to do with as he deems fit. Get used to it, we’ve got another 2+ years to go.

Kissmygrits on July 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM

There is a huge difference between “healthy ego” and narcissistic personality. Krauthammer is a psychiatrist and is probably using the word in a clinical sense.

clnurnberg on July 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM

scalleywag on July 9, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Actually, that’s usually when I shut off Fox News. Every night it’s a neocon from the Weekly Standard (which, until recently), a liberal (Juan Williams (when he’s available) and Krathammer.

Fox likes repetition – that’s why it has Newt, Morris and Karl Rove on 12 times a week.

bw222 on July 9, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Ya think, Charlie! Welcome to the party.

Kissmygrits on July 9, 2010 at 10:16 PM

For those who don’t know, Charles Krauthammer has the credentials to suggest BHO is narcissistic.
Harvard (M.D. 1975).
Chief resident in psychiatry – Massachusetts General.

diogenes on July 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM

In a related story, the Earth is round.

WordsMatter on July 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Y’know, in that picture, he looks an awful lot like a skinnier, tanner Mussolini…

Sort of an American “Il Douche” if you will…

SuperCool on July 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Blacklake’s post is excellent and Diogenes is correct, also. The two most obvious physical signs of the malady in Obamarrhoid are his body language, head carriage (chin up, looking down at people) and his annoying speech mannerisms.
I absolutely cannot tolerate anything about him.

LarryG on July 9, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Truth be told, Obama and friends, including his wife, hate America as it is… He is obviously holding back… Hence the need to stay on Teleprompter message as much as possible. When the truth slips out, it is not good for his numbers and/or long term ability to pull off the full radical agenda he hides.

Obama is not the first president with a large streak of narcissism.

Doesn’t someone need to be al least close to a narcissist to think they should be president? Remember that the press was almost counting days waiting for Bush to admit he was wrong about something… Anything. Admitting weakness and imperfection could damage a president more than stubbornly saving face by not owning fault.
Hell… Clinton wagged his finger at all of US, and then was proven guilty of lying to US… DNA style… He still wanted a pass based on the meaning of the word is, or sex, or some such arrogant nonsense.
What the heck did Obama admit that he needed to improve during the one debate? I think it was being a better father… As most honest men will tell you, well… yeah.
But Obama hates America so much that he cannot help himself in pointing out faults, both real and imagined. As I told a libby friend recently… This is the first politician that I can remember actually hating… I think it’s because I feel his hate for US… and reflect it back at him. I just want him out of our house.

RalphyBoy on July 9, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Barry is mentally unfit for office, and his supporters are mentally unfit to wield the power of the vote responsibly.

Christien on July 9, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Krauthammer: I believe Obama may be a tad narcissistic.

This “tad” is the understatement of this year.

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Bunch of psycho-babble analysis ‘statement of the obvious’ crap. Obama is a narcissistic Marxist tyrant waiting for his moment to run. Many of us saw it years ago. Charles ain’t quite so bright.

See if we can’t find a plain ‘ol narcissistic tyrant with a flag lapel pin for ya.

AZ_Redneck on July 10, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Peacocks are indignant.

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Peacocks!
Sink me!
Think ye
How those feathered boys love to flaunt their tails!
Zounds!
Hounds!
Of the goosie and the gander
Which gender is the grander
To render total candor, the splendor is the male’s!

La, but someone has to strike a pose
And bear the weight of well-tailored clothes
And that is why the Lord created men
Yes, that is why the Lord created men
Remember what we’re here for
Why we must be dressed to kill
If we have to look like Cleopatra
Then we will!

If you’re out to make a splash, cheri,
Do know your haberdashery!
Buttons, buckles, ruffles and lace
Represent the human race!
La, but someone has to strike a pose
And bear the weight of well-tailored clothes
Each species needs a sex that’s fated
To be highly decorated
That is why the Lord created men
Yes, that is why the Lord created men

PercyB on July 10, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Barry is mentally unfit ….

Christien on July 9, 2010 at 11:44 PM

BUT HE’S MAH MAIN MAN !!! BARRY BAMSTER !!!!!! YEAAAAAHHHHH!!! HE DAM MAN !!! HI 5!!!bARRRYYYYYYY!!!

I am so sick of this tool being casually humanized with that name !!!! Barack Hussein is his name ! Remember ? No, of course not !!!

cableguy615 on July 10, 2010 at 12:47 AM

The Hillboyz from Chicago have written about Obama “I am a State Senator.” They have also written about Rahm – no big whip to me about preferences at all. What, is outrageuous is the connection between Jarret, Blago, Rezko, and Jackson jr.

NOT ONE MORE DIME!

bbh on July 10, 2010 at 1:19 AM

More on narcissistic personality disorder.

FireBlogger on July 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I’ve lived with someone with the disorder. Trust me, it’s full blown nutjob just one tick away from psychotic breakdown.

John the Libertarian on July 10, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Well said, Ed.

Basilsbest on July 10, 2010 at 7:52 AM

As a manager (official position description title), as opposed to mine as facilitator.

I have found a method that works end or at least mitigates such a destructive attitude when meeting for the first meeting of a job or project.

It is also simple. After introductions, I tell the group I will be keeping track of how many times a supervisor, foreman, or CEO uses the word me, mine, or similar narcissistic (adj), because slavery ended more than 200 years ago and those words indicated that the leader view team members as slaves and leaders who view their workers as slaves will produce an substandard no matter the bid price. Based on this indicator alone I have been able to eliminate inferior work early.

After 20 plus years of using this methodology I have yet been proven to be wrong.

MSGTAS on July 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

“A tad bit”? Dr. Krauthammer, that’s like saying the The Titanic was sunk by an ice cube.

kingsjester on July 10, 2010 at 10:43 AM

MSGTAS on July 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Or, to quote you, in pertinent part, “… mine … I … I … I … I … I …”

Trochilus on July 10, 2010 at 12:47 PM

What does a neutered narcissist look like? BHO on November 2, 2010. Maybe he can get a reality show: The Neutered Narcissist.

Key West Reader on July 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Let’s not over-diagnose this case fellows.
The facts and findings clearly support the
conclusion that the SOB aka BHO is simply a
lying sack-o-socialist sh!t.

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on July 10, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Q; How does Barack Obama change a light bulb?

A: Simple. He just holds the bulb while the world revolves around him.

(Hat Tip . . . the original was found here. There were several others, but this one — as adapted — seemed to fit best.)

Trochilus on July 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Dear Dr. K,

Isn’t an insensitivity to the suffering and needs of others a common element of the narcissitic personality disorder? In addition to their having self evaluation lapses concomitant to expecting all they do to work out since they are so perfect, this could cause real problems in a leader.

BTW, will you be touring with Paul Simon? I or a few worthies here would like to volunteer for your seat and have real controversy on Fox! Ha Ha Ha

IlikedAUH2O on July 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I say let him roll with it. After all, we get these gems:

My oil spill
My deficit
My recess appointment of a communist
My golf game
My cancelled space shuttle
My cap and trade tax
My BFF, Chavez
My unsecure border

He can have it…but he has to take it all.

BobMbx on July 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Also, as in “Michelle, where’d you put my Che T-shirt?”

bofh on July 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Photoshop in progress

justltl on July 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Krauthammer: “I believe Obama may be a tad narcissistic” Just a tad!?

Krauthammer is licensed psychiartrist. It would be unprofessional and inappropriate for him to diagnose someone he’s not evaluated in a clinical setting. He has to be careful about tossing around a word, “narcissism,” that has clinical meaning.

A little late in my opinion.

Actually, Krauthammer was using the word “narcissistic” during the final stages of the campaign. He was being careful not to sound like he was making a diagnosis; it’s my opinion that he was telegraphing Obama’s clinical NPD.

I was raised by a narcissist psychologist, so I know what to look for.

Everything. Obama. Does. Is characteristic of NPD.

• Low approval ratings for a particular program? Blame Fox News, false consciousness, and the GOP.
• Tacky, inappropriate, and baffling gift-giving choices
• Excessive self-referentiality in speeches, both to personal pronouns and personal anecdotes
• Grandiose tableaux that are utterly devoid of substance
• White House filled with his own portraits instead of others who inspired him
• Ability to be perfectly charming (and trust that his charm is sufficient to get him what he wants)
• Blaming their own bad behavior on you, e.g., I wouldn’t have to go through the EPA it if the GOP weren’t blocking everything.
• Projecting their bad behavior on you, e.g., Obama calls for more civil discourse and in the next paragraph says terribly uncivil things about his enemies.
• Ignorance of simple facts, e.g., the pronunciation of “corpsman,” because of inattention to anything that doesn’t involve them directly.

Let’s not forget a childhood that was the perfect breeding-ground for NPD: abandonment by two father and a mother before the age of ten.

He has done nothing to rule out that diagnosis, e.g., respond graciously to criticism, admit to making a mistake, learn from his mistakes.

This isn’t mere conceit, hubris, or a big ego: those conditions can be reversed when life delivers a 2×4 to the back of the head.

It also isn’t mere Leftism, which is highly attractive to narcissists because it flatters them: Put wonderful people like you in charge and we can rule heal the world!

NPDs never learn; they just double-down.

dicentra63 on July 10, 2010 at 5:39 PM

a remarkable cluelessness as well as hubris

Must be your first NPD, Ed. Those of us who have lived with an NPD know that cluelessness + hubris is the precise description of an NPD.

dicentra63 on July 10, 2010 at 5:41 PM

In the hermetically sealed universe of Obama, it is THE WONDER THAT IS HE!, and the fault that is BOOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHH!!!!!!!!

pilamaye on July 11, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Q; How does Barack Obama change a light bulb?

A: Simple. He just holds the bulb while the world revolves around him.

Trochilus on July 10, 2010

But that only works in the Southern Hemisphere, doesn’t it?

Extrafishy on July 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Krauthammer: I believe Obama may be a tad narcissistic

Similarly, I believe that the Pope may be a tad Catholic!!

/Obviousman>