Video: “Mama Grizzlies”

posted at 11:36 am on July 8, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Sarah Palin’s PAC released their latest organizing-fundraising video today, and it bolsters Palin’s efforts to claim the female voter demographic as her own. In the past, the media have tried to come up with cute ways of pigeonholing women, especially suburban wives and mothers who are seen as a big swing force in national elections. Twenty years ago, they were called “soccer moms”; in the wake of 9/11, “security moms”. Palin picks a more active — and activist — monicker for the women who comprise her base:

“Mama grizzlies” actually fits better in the Tea Party movement, which I’ve argued is driven in the main by activist women. These are women with families who aren’t focused on what government can do for them, but what government should be doing, period. They’re defending their turf rather than looking for handouts, and defending their children from expansionist government and the massive spending that their children’s children will have to repay. It’s a good brand to stake out for Palin, but she’s been doing that all along with the Tea Party movement (as has Michele Bachmann). This just puts a label on it, and one that sounds much more assertive than “soccer moms” did.

The Boss Emeritus offers some savvy advice:

Yes, there’s always a risk in overreaching and slipping into identity politics. Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosiboth played the gender card to argue that they had the unique ability as women to “clean house” and change Washington’s ways. It’s not working out as advertised, to put it mildly.

Moreover, conservatives need to be honest: Not all Republican women are created equal. An establishment Big Government GOP candidate in a skirt is no better than an establishment Big Government GOP candidate in a suit and tie.

That said, there is something happenin’ out there — on college campuses, at Tea Party and 9/12 meetings, in school board and city council races, inside and outside the political arena. Everywhere I go, right-thinking moms who had never been involved in politics before have come up to me to let me know that their increasing concern for their kids’ future — their safety, their education, their debt — has driven them to get involved.

Be sure to read her flashback column from almost exactly six years ago on this same topic.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

O/T this is a Palin post – Allah.

I think I know what Allah’s been up to.

Dr Evil on July 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Yes but she is batting about 500 right now. I did however give her full credit for the sun rising this morning /sarc

Bradky on July 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM

500 is considered pretty good, especially for some not very long ago unknown candidates.

How has Obama been doing lately?

Luka on July 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I like Sarah Palin, and think that someday she very well may be president. However right now I have to point out — that yes compared to Obeyme she has more experience than he did but that is a weak standard. She really needs more seasoning before running for President.

My guess is that one of the current sitting Republican governors will end up being the winning candidate — not a current sitting Senator, not a former governor — but a current governor. As to who — I don’t know. But sitting governors tend to win, not always but often. And quite often few outside of their state have heard of the them. Carter? Clinton? Bush? Not exactly household names outside of their own states two years before the elections that they won. And note all 3 of them came from the South also. (Or West if you count Reagan.)

So maybe: Bob Riley? Sonny Perdue? Butch Otter? Quite a long list of possibilities. IMO, I doubt the Huckster or Mittens will win the nomination. And I think Sarah is smart enough to sit this out for a while. One reason I think sitting governors tend to win is (a) they have executive experience and (b) they don’t have national exposure, which means the media has not yet created the “slime frame” for them.

SunSword on July 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Liar. There are no stars on the Canadian flag.

portlandon on July 8, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I would have swore i seen them after drinking a 12 pack of Carlsburg Gold.

heshtesh on July 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM

The important difference between what Palin and Botox Nancy and Secretary Pants Suit is this:

Botox and Pants Suit and the “feminists” they pandered to framed both themselves and women in general as victims in need of a victim advocate in D.C. to “overcome” the “patriarchy”.

Palin, as you will note in this ad and many of her similar writings and speeches, has emphasized being pro-active; don’t whine, don’t scream, don’t stamp your feet, BE HEARD. It’s not ABOUT being women, it’s about MOBILIZING women who, for far too long, have been mocked, derided and ignored by the so-called “Feminist Establishment” as being “not REALLY women” (because you have to be a pro-abortion socialist to be a REAL woman to the Feminist Establishment, apparently) and were and still are a vast untapped resource and unheard voice in the American political conversation in general.

This isn’t identity politics, this is actually about giving voice to a grossly under-represented segment of our public.

SuperCool on July 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM

If you look at Palin’s book, her appearance on Oprah, her upcoming TV show, and now her new book: http://tinyurl.com/2css5b6 I think you’ll see that she is actively working to reach out to the women of America who haven’t been very political, get information from ‘The View’ and ‘Oprah’ and think debates about the Cons…titution and politics are for boys. She is trying to show more and more women that if they care about their children that they need to care about their government. She’s trying to show them that conservatism is not for men but for Americans. That preserving liberty and prosperity are part of how they care for their families.

I don’t think this is about her personal political aspirations. I think Palin is setting her sights on impacting the party and the country through influencing the mothers of America. And anyone who thinks about it for a minute will realize that it is the mothers who raise the next generation that really have the power in any civilization. That is, if they choose to exercise it.

D0WNT0WN on July 8, 2010 at 6:55 PM

“New fresh face?” That was Obama. What did we get? A hard-left ideologue who never managed so much as a lemonade stand, much less a country, who seems to have made as his goal the destruction of everything that makes this country exceptional.

What we need is someone who has demonstrated competence at leading, and that ain’t the O.

There are plenty of credible candidates for 2012. I say let them fight it out, and then we regular Americans can vote for the winner. I voted for Palin in 2008, because I figured she was the only one of the four people in the presidential sweepstakes who had any experience in leadership. In the months since, Palin has improved her credentials tremendously. I would certainly have no qualms in voting for her in 2012, should she run. In fact, any competitors will have to demonstrate to me that their love of and vision for America is greater than Palin’s.

The elite have shown us what they think of us. I’m ready to show them what I think of them, and to vote for someone who is an American, not a snooty elitist. And, unfortunately, that is what one can call a lot of Republicans as well as Democrats. Anyone who runs will have to convince me s/he doesn’t consider me a dirty peasant, and so far I haven’t seen many who qualify.

hachiban on July 8, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I like Sarah Palin,…. However… She really needs more seasoning before running for President.

And I think Sarah is smart enough to sit this out for a while.
SunSword on July 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Sorry, this is the same tired old concern troll crap!

Sarah doesn’t need “seasoning” and while she is smart, America can’t take much more of Obama.
Sarah knows the country can’t afford for her to “sit this out.”

Jenfidel on July 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM

SuperCool on July 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Excellent comments!
Thank you.

Jenfidel on July 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM

bayam on July 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM

oprah agrees with Palin good one, Barbra walters and Palin has the same politics? ROFLMAO. Jim Lerer has the same politcal bent as Palin? stop it I’m laughing too hard..

BOR can not stand Palin as his hard hitting interviews show. He gave Obama an easier interview. Chris wallace also did not agree with her. she has given interviews on radio and local TV to reporters.

Hell she gave interviews to MSNBC Mitchell, CNN and ABc on her boat fishing in waders.

She debated on national TV with Ron Paul. a true debate. Something Mitt and others have never done. she went on the tonight show with both Leno and what’s his name niether can be considered friends.

the only people she has not and will not allow interview her are her avowed enemies. people like Matthews, Olberman Maddow.

You need a new talking point. the facts say you are 100% wrong

unseen on July 8, 2010 at 7:29 PM

if they were too afraid to meet members of the press not enamored of them?

Bradky on July 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM

you mean like Oprah,Walters, Leno, Mitchell?

when Obama goes on Rush’s show like Palin went on Oprah’s show let me know.

unseen on July 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM

when Obama goes on Rush’s show like Palin went on Oprah’s show let me know.

unseen on July 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Remember when the Obama Administration declared War On Fox News, Fox won, good times, good times. In fact CNN and MSNBC put out the directive that none of their employees were allowed to appear on Fox Networks. Yeah that’s brave and sh!t alright.

Sarah Palin is a Fox News Contributor, I don’t see any reason for her to appear on those Networks, and it looks like they are the ones that set that standard.

Dr Evil on July 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Sorry, this is the same tired old concern troll crap!

Sarah knows the country can’t afford for her to “sit this out.”

Jenfidel on July 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I agree.

I don’t want someone who’s ‘experienced’ when those experiences tell him/her to go along with the flow. We need someone who fights.

Someone like Palin will most definitely work.

Chaz706 on July 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Sarah knows the country can’t afford for her to “sit this out.”

Jenfidel on July 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Excellent comments! Thank You!

I already cry knowing that Sarah is strong enough, I’m not sure I Am strong enough to witness the flogging and scourging she will endure when she runs.

But she has to, because only she Inspires.

Who is John Galt on July 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM

If I may suggest to Mrs Palin, try to court the black women. From what I see black women are really the strength of their community and should be saluted. We can not afford to lose another generation of black children and the black man needs to be repatriated with their families. This racism and victim hood needs to be stop and the black women might be the key. And Palin’s message could win them, and obviously win the White house.

This racist crap needs to be dealt with before it gets out of hand. A frontal approach will only get a person destroyed so and end around could work.

serendip2b on July 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM

SunSword on July 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM

WTF?

Sarah Palin has been in EXECUTIVE LEVEL politics for almost 20 years, how much more seasoning does she need???

No one even knows or cares about the names you mentioned. If these people were leaders, they would have already been out there leading.

This is why Willard is dead on arrival, and Lonesome Rhodes Huckabee has decided to go big with his TV career.

Sarah Palin, pretty much since the day after the 2008 election, has been all over Obama. Hell, on the day he was sworn in, and many leaders were asked to comment, while saying nice things, she was already grinding his nutz into the ground!

Since then, Sarah Palin has been the only one to effectively hammer him.

After her recent speech in Virginia, which was followed up on her Facebook blog, this was said:

Whittington: Sarah Palin Has Offered One Of The Most Sophisticated Analysis Of Obama’s Defense & Foreign Policy Ever Published

That’s plenty strong.

BTW, she just kicked Obama’s a$$ tonight on Fox Business News. I mean just gutted him like a fish.

A nation needs a LEADER, not another worthless politician. We’ve had damned few real leaders in our history. Sarah Plain is one of them.

Anyone who doesn’t think she will be our next President needs to think again.

gary4205 on July 8, 2010 at 9:06 PM

SunSword on July 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM

No. This isn’t 1975-76 and we aren’t in the aftermath of Watergate. Carter’s rise just pointed out the dearth of good presidential candidates in the Democratic party in the mid-70s. Clinton was already pretty well-known in 1992 as well, mainly though for his comically long-winded speech at the 1988 DNC.

If there’s a dark horse to emerge, he/she had better emerge pretty quickly. I don’t see it happening. One of the well-known names will get the nomination.

ddrintn on July 8, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Sarah knows the country can’t afford for her to “sit this out.”

Jenfidel on July 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Excellent comments! Thank You!

But she has to, because only she Inspires.

Who is John Galt on July 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Both of your comments make me proud.

Sarah Palin has strong faith. That faith is why she can shrug off the most intense hatred we have ever witnessed, like it was nothing.

You notice in this video, which has D.C. buzzing with praise, she just oozes optimism. It’s suddenly “Morning in America” again. You can actually see that shining city on a hill when she speaks.

This is who she is.

She was just on Fox Business News whippin’ Obama like he was a rented mule. I mean just rippin’ him a new one. And yet, the whole time she was upbeat and smiling.

Never came of as nasty, or angry. Just someone who is determined to do whatever it takes to take him and the entire progressive movement down, even if she has to do it by herself!

You see Sarah Palin and you instantly see a LEADER, but you also see someone who is the eternal optimist, just like Ronald Reagan. You simply KNOW that if she was in charge, things would turn around. Reagan made you feel the same way.

serendip2b on July 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Sarah does reach out to black women, and men. Some of her strongest supporters are black.

One of the great bloggers out there, Adrienne Ross, is also a leader in the Draft Sarah Palin 2012 movement.

You can pretty much bet that if she runs, all of the conservatives will come her way.

gary4205 on July 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM

You know I like Palin and all but honestly I don’t care WHO WE GET on the GOP side as the nominee as long as:

1. They are a REAL CONSERVATIVE…..not a BUSH RINO-CON.

2. They can win…..and will take no prisoners during the campaign.

3. THEY LOVE AMERICA….they know it’s exceptional that it is a SHINING CITY ON A HILL (not a perfect city, but one that aspires to be a beacon of hope in a tyranny filled world).

4. They can inspire with a Reagan like inspiration and gumption, and “can-do” spirit.

5. THEY CAN COMMUNICATE and win over followers by doing what Reagan did….not being AFRAID TO try and WIN OVER PEOPLE to Conservatism.

So far this looks like an “history repeats itself” period like 1978 all over again.

A depressing Liberal (in the case of DOTUS, it would be a depressing Marxist) in the Oval office that wants to limit America, everyone put on a sweater and freeze your touchies off and stop consuming so much. And American pride being lost with every purposeful kowtow bow to foreign leaders. Sounds like 1978…..but even though Reagan lost in 1976 (and we got stuck with RINO Gerald Ford) he still carried on, and kept fighting the fight laying the groundwork for 1980.

Palin hasn’t spent a lifetime working the mashed potato circuit (paying her dues) but the Left hates her the same.

I’ll never forget August 29, 2008……the morning all of our daughters prospects changed forever. The little girls of Conservatives all over America could grow up to be Vice President someday. I’ll never forget also when Michael Reagan called her “Reagan in a Dress”. I remember Dick Morris saying that a Superstar had been born after her speect to the Convention.

She might not be the one, but I’ve been following politics for 40+ years and if you underestimate her…

…you could be standing on the Main Mall with me and my girls on January 20, 2013 at noon watching history be made as the first daughter of America is sworn in as President of the United States.

I’ll be watching Governor Palin……and if you need a Grizzly Girl to fight for you……we’ve got three of them in this house ready to go.

PappyD61 on July 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM

What’s very interesting is that Michelle seems to be really like a lot of liberal ladies, way off the page. This sure isn’t your polo-shirt type GOP election.

Yet, she suggests it is?

She’s an interesting duck. Sometimes smart, more often strident.

AnninCA on July 8, 2010 at 9:52 PM

BTW, the video is brilliant. It has grabbed attention from every corner, and it’s just so darn likeable.

Michelle missed the mark. But then, I don’t think she likes women much. She really does remind me of liberal women. They want to “outman” men.

Give me Ann Coulter anyday, who was BRILLIANT, by the way about the whole Michael Steele uproar.

AnninCA on July 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM

But she has to, because only she Inspires.

Who is John Galt on July 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM

That’s one of the most beautiful quotes I have read about Sarah in a long, long time.

My ball cap’s off to you, Who is John Galt!

ProudPalinFan on July 8, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Has anybody thought that she’s endorsing all these people for 2010, giving her thumbs-up and once chosen and proven whoever wins the GOP primary will have an easy, well-oiled machine.

Gosh I hope that this is approached and taken advantage of properly. Honest people willing to serve and come forward in tough times don’t come easy. I have seen the good, the bad and the rats; and shook hands with all of them.

Since we went fishing this afternoon *and my son and I struck gold* I will go to C4P and see what happened.

ProudPalinFan on July 8, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I HATE YAHOO “news” and THE ASSOCIATED PRESS.

They are both scum of the earth. You know the AP really is really more powerful than any other Media outlet (WAPO, NYT, LAT, etc.) because 99% of all articles on the Web and in the newspapers (Lord who reads them anymore) and the Evening news are from the AP. If we could just have Murdoch by AP……..MMMMMMM, that would be nice. :-)

PappyD61 on July 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I still think Bobby Jindal has a better chance against Obama.

But if Sarah wins the nomination, man, what a hell of a fight it will be.

Stocking up on popcorn!

cane_loader on July 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Well, if a Maoist community organizer can be president, why not someone who fears the spells of evil witches?

AshleyTKing on July 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM

AshleyTKing on July 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Evil witches? Like you Ashley?

bw222 on July 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM

great interview by eric boiling on FNB network with gov Palin tonight.

unseen on July 9, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I don’t have the energy tonight to engage the doubters and concern trolls who think Palin isn’t seasoned enough, has no foreign policy experience, can’t speak, etc. Whatever. Revel in your negativity if you must. Things will shake out the way they are supposed to. In the meantime, this is a brilliant video and as someone who believes devoutly in the importance of branding and packaging a candidate just like any other product, I’m thrilled to see something so well produced coming out of the Palin camp. It might help to persuade some of the mile-wide/inch-deep folks who are more concerned with style over substance. If nothing else, it certainly inspired me to go over to SarahPAC and donate a few bucks. Single Chicks for Sarah! Woot!

great interview by eric boiling on FNB network with gov Palin tonight.

unseen on July 9, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I watched it earlier. She gets better and better everyday. I’m sure it will be discounted by some because it was only another Fox appearance (thus serving as evidence she is too chicken to face the “real” media /s), but for the more open-minded among us, I highly recommend it. She was passionate, thoughtful, intelligent. And funny! I literally LOL when Eric asked if there is a light at the end of the tunnel and she replied, “Heck yeah, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, and I can see it from my house!” Priceless!

NoLeftTurn on July 9, 2010 at 1:12 AM

AshleyTKing on July 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Ashley is just scared of black people… Ashley thinks that Palin should of disrespected the African Priest….

TimeTraveler on July 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Palin has shown me enough in her past to prove she has the experience.

I don’t think we can sit around and wait for critics to feel satisfied with her seasoning. We need somebody who is going to go in and stop spending the country into bankruptcy and do what is right for Americans. I trust Sarah to do that more than Huck or Mittens or some DC insider.

Playing the sex card is savvy. Sarah is a mold breaker and she isn’t going to get much help from women’s groups with long standing ties to the DNC. She has to play it because nobody else is going to play it for her.

Mr Purple on July 9, 2010 at 2:11 AM

OMG, that’s a great ad!

petefrt on July 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Big Momentum is starting. Lets ride the wave.

RobCon on July 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Whether you like Sarah Palin or not … or whether or not you think she’s a good candidate for President …

You have to admit that this woman is a positive force for the Republican Party. Moreover, she’s a positve force for RE-MOLDING the GOP and getting it back in touch with it’s Conservative roots and away from the RINO lacky pols that put us in these dire straights we find ourselves and this nation in today.

I don’t know that this ad is proof positive that she’s running for President – but I DO KNOW this ad will cause other GOP potentials to get off their arses and start throwing their chips into the game. I have no doubt that Mitt Romney is running but … what the hell has he been doing? I guess he just figures if he sits back and says nothing, and risks nothing, that he will just automatically be “given” the nomination. Well, I’m not voting for that schlup anyway – but seriously, if you support Mitt – how can you defend his defening silence at a time when this nation is being destroyed by the policies of Obama and the Democrats?

By the way … Obama just “recess appointed” a man to run ObamaCare who is four-square in favor of “death panels”. Sarah Palin made this accusation almost a year ago – and was called a liar for it … now we have the proof. It’s time for a story pointing out that the “death panels” are real and Sarah Palin was right – even though a lot of Conservatives wouldn’t stand with her at the time she made the charge.

HondaV65 on July 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I like Sarah’s politics and I like the styling of this video, but for heaven’s sake, can someone in her entourage PLEASE suggest she get a voice coach?

Maybe it’s just me, but her shaky voice drives me crazy. It makes her sound unsure of herself.

Marybeth on July 9, 2010 at 11:17 AM

All anyone needs to run this country is experience actually running a government entity or business successfully, common sense, and honesty. Palin has all three. The problem is perception. Not enough people in the voting blocks of this country think she’s qualified because of the propaganda that has been assigned to her.

Nalea on July 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM

They must whether the upcoming storm.

TimeTraveler on July 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM

But she has to, because only she Inspires.

Who is John Galt on July 8, 2010

If she can take it, you can take it. Draw strength from her, stand proudly and smile. The very thought of becoming one of her foot soldiers makes me grin ear-to-ear.

Extrafishy on July 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM

trouble for sareah

TimeTraveler on July 9, 2010 at 3:24 PM

ut if Sarah wins the nomination, man, what a hell of a fight it will be.

Stocking up on popcorn!

cane_loader on July 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Forget the popcorn, these next elections are NOT a SPECTATOR SPORT! Get out there and VOLUNTEER, HELP, SUPPORT, and most importantly WATCH over your polling place. It’s time to ACT! (bring your popcorn with you if you want). LET’S ROLL!

Who is John Galt on July 10, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Extrafishy on July 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Thanks for reminding me what leaders DO…Inspire, and Lead!

Who is John Galt on July 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Male politicians court the female vote like any other vote. Women know this and will never completely trust the motives of the political male. And for good reason. I suspect behind closed doors, women are thought of the same by male politicians as by the male population in general. Palin can bridge that gap as did Hillary. But Hillary was not completely trusted by women either. Palin can also bridge that gap.

Mr_Magoo on July 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM